Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Amores Verdaderos #19 Tue 12/4/12 Tears & Danger & filthy mattresses


Yeah, sorry, I'm going to sort of phone in another recap, since it's the holidays and I'm really stressed out and busy. I hope to provide at least some decent screencaps later. And fill in the blanks.

Here's the recap summary (bulleted list) based on memory. Hope to flesh it out later, and don't hesitate to correct me on anything I miss or get wrong!

First, a screenshot (MORE TO COME I HOPE!)

Big Angel prays for Nikki's safe return.

EVENTS SUMMARIZED AND MAY BE OUT OF ORDER.

* Nikki and Kendra get kidnapped by slimy kidnappers. They are thrown into a nasty room with only a ripped, stained mattress in one corner. Nikki is totally freaking, because of course it's "real" to her. Kendra is pretending to be freaked, but she's not, really. One of the creepy kidnappers is sliming up to poor Nikki and caressing her legs, and strongly implying that he's gonna rape her. Kendra seems to want to avoid that happening to Nikki, and distracts the kidnappers by saying she's got to go to the bathroom. As soon as she's been taken out of their filthy "cell," she demands that her hands be untied, and she's around when the kidnappers (eventually) call the parents with kidnapping demands. (Two million dollars, and don't call the cops!) By the end of the episode, Nikki has "bonded" with her new best friend, Kendra, saying that they'll be tied together forever through their mutual suffering through this ordeal. Oh blech. I hope for severe karmageddon for Kendra and Salsa-dude for doing all of this.


* It takes a while for the household to figure out that Nikki is AWOL. Vicki first starts looking, then the bodyguards. Nothing. Meanwhile the police have found the abandoned car of Kendra and come to the house. They approach Big Angel and give him Nikki's purse. The whole household (except for Salsa-dude) are put into turmoil at this news. Vicki is beside herself with distress and dismay—lots of screaming and big fat wet tears—but somehow is always clear-headed enough to not blame the bodyguards for this. (Nelson is all about blaming the bodyguards, though he also bitches about Nikki being so irresponsible. Well, he's not wrong about Nikki who was not taking the kidnapping risk seriously!) Vicki says that she cannot lose the most important thing in her life: her daughter.

* Meanwhile, at Big Angel's and Christina's apartment, they're having a lovely dinner with Guzmancito and Beatriz. Guzmancito is helping Lily put up the curtains, but there is a mishap and we have a moment of sexual tension as Guzmancito loses his balance and falls on top of Lily. She looks like she is totally into being in that position, but it's hard to read Guzmancito's feelings. He gets a phone call about Nikki being kidnapped. He is beyond impactado. Very stricken. He leaves immediately without explaining why—just that "a friend" is in trouble and he needs to go help.

* Paula is visited by Christina, who is trilling about her great guests (Beatriz and Guzmancito) and she is eager for Paula to meet them! Christina has come to ask about borrowing some tools (for the errant curtain rod) and Paula is super-uncomfortable and is able to beg off and tells Paula that some the super would have the tools. Christina seems oblivious to Paula's discomfort and hesitation.

* Christina has a nice chat with Beatriz where she says that she always wanted to give Big Angel a lot of kids, but somehow she never could have any more after Lily. But that's okay, Lily is the light of their life. Happy happy happy. They both look forward to Big Angel returning on Sunday. Lily (who is of course unaware of the kidnapping distress going on at the estate) wonders what dad's doing right now. Probably deep asleep, says Christina. Then she says to herself (with a steely look) that he'd BETTER be asleep!

* Thomasina, who is fast becoming my favorite character in this novela, is standing up to the Turkish dude. She demands to be treated like a lady! And hey, don't treat us as if we are lying or have no honor, dammit! Polita has arrived with the other check (which looks like 23,000 pesos) and all of that is signed over the Turkish guy. (Amusing scene with the two thugs carrying in a very short Polita, holding her up between them so her feet don't touch the ground.) Check is given to Turkish dude, Thomasina and Felipe are free to leave. Turkish guy is obviously taken with Thomasina, who gives him her "expert" opinion as an aficionado of the Chinese Horoscope. She gives her analysis of Turkish dude's qualities, which seems to please him. Looks like she's got two different guys (neither which are great catches—just saying) interested in her! Turkish dude kisses her hand s-l-o-w-l-y. Yikes.

* When Felipe and Thomasina go to the estate, Thomasina bids Felipe goodbye and tells him his "lucky" numbers (per Horoscope). You're enabling him Thomasina! Stop! Anyway, Guzmancito is surprised to see his dad at the estate. Dad is surprised by Guzmancito's current gig being at this estate. Blah blah blah. When Thomasina (and Polita) find out about Nikki's kidnapping, they are very distressed, especially Thomasina, who always considered Nikki the "daughter I never had." Both Thomasina and Vicki bond and try to comfort each other in their distress.

* The kidnappers call with a demand for 2 million dollars. No cops or the girls are killed! Earlier Big Angel had advised calling the authorities, but Salsa-dude nixed that, saying that the authorities only screw things up. Viewerville is given the impression that Salsa-dude is just feeding the fears of these hysterical parents, and that the authorities really wouldn't be a bad idea. But when the kidnappers say no cops, Salsa-dude gives Big Angel the stink-eye, as if "I TOLD you so!"

* Paula is wanting more from Anibal. Probably the same old same old. I missed some of this. Anibal tries to mollify her by telling her to take that art history class that interested her. It's not enough for her, though.

* The bodyguards (with the exception of Salsa-dude) are all impactado about Nikki's kidnapping. Guzmancito looks green around the gills and very impactado (almost to the point of tears, it seemed to me) at times. A lot of this is his professional guilt, I am sure, but I suspect there is some personal feeling in there too. Big Angel prays to God to bring back Nikki to her parents. He says how much he loves his daughter and has understood (I think because of the house fire that almost took Lily) how dear a child is. Tears stream down his cheeks as he prays for Nikki's safe return. Awww, Big Angel, how can we not love you?

* Vicki is crying and distressed. Vows to make the kidnappers pay someday. Says she won't go to bed until she gets Nikki back. Nelson is a turd and bitches about Vicki. (Something about how he can't sleep if she's not asleep, for fear that she'll make a bone-headed decision behind his back?) Big Angel hears all of this and mutters disgust over what a pig Nelson is.

AVANCES: Nikki gets the gun away from the kidnappers somehow. Looks very intense. Must see TV!

Labels:


Comments:
Wow, what a fast recap. Yes, being Christmas season, how can you manage it all. Kudos.

I watch this novella with my adult son. We are totally enjoying Tomasina and Polita (Keep thinking Polenta!).

I love that Christina and Lilliana are hosting Beatrix and her son at the apartment and Paula wants to move away now, I think.

This reminds me of Upstairs/Downstairs that I used to watch. Just as much excitement in the servants lives as in the served lives.

Please don't mess it up with deaths.

Thank you again for Caray, Caray.

Peace to all, Tiempe.
 

Elvira, wonderful, wonderful recap. You didn't miss a thing really. I think Paula wanted to go on a vacay with Anibal, cause I think she is afraid that he will run into Chrissie in the building or her daughter Bea. I can't wait for Anibal to run into one of them and then the jig will be up for Paula.

The only other thing was The guy Vikki called to get the 2 million dollars together, told her that they needed to inform Anibal about that, cause of the huge amount of money, and Vikki nixed that idea. She didn't want to give her Papa a heart attack. Anibal sure looks strong to me, I think he would call his Commandante Friend, who Salsero would have a fit about.

And Nelson did put Salsero in charge of security for the home, so now Arriaga and Guzmanctio have to work for him, boo hiss. I like how Arriaga stood up to Salsero. Liked how Vikki said it was on her that Guzmancito wasn't there. And that tear of Nelson's, was it really for Nikki or Kendra, jus' sayin'.

Nelson is an asshat, perfect company for Salsero and Kendra. Can't wait for Vikki to find out about his "office romance" with Kendra.

Elvira I loved that scene with Lili and Guzmancito too, so cute and he kissed her on the cheek, she was over the moon. Love Tomasina too. I love Polita and Jean Marie together, they are a hoot. And that Turkish dude and Felipe drooling over Tomasina too funny.

Elvira you did such a fab job and from memory too, you go girl. Just fab. And I know about the holidays, I'm rushed too :). No worries though.
 

Thanks, Elvira. Big Ed praying on the steps...sigh. What a guy. When you need a hero...here's the go-to guy. Kudos to the person who bestowed Salsero's Native American name = Dances with Sunglasses...too funny. The ..new'' kidnapping crew are vile and disgusting. The driver/kidnapper was a villain in another novela I watched awhile ago. Was it Fuego en la Sangre featuring the fabulous baking brothers ? I think that he wore a toupee in that one. Raise your hand if you were thinking the same thing I was when Disgusting Dude #2 stuck that gun in his pants. Bleccchhh..what a creepycrawler.
 

Elvira - great recap, just the right length, and I thank you!

susanlynn - yep, kidnapping guy was in FELS, LFMB, and MEPS or STUD, and.
I've only seem him as a sleazeball character.
I, too, was hoping creepy guy #2 would accidentally shoot off his 'manhood' when he stuck that gun in his pants.

I may set up a Tomasina table on the patio. She rocks, especially after asking the Turk guy for the other check they gave him by mistake. She's got moxie and 'cojones.'

Stupid Nikki. She would not be kidnapped if she had been a good girl and not snuck out of her house while her babysitter ... er ... bodyguard was off-duty. I want to barf every time Vikki blames herself.

Did anyone else hear Nelson say to Vikki "your" daughter? Makes me wonder if Nelson wanted Vikki to abort when she found herself pregnant with Nikki?
 

Thanks so much Elvira. You gave us just enough info.

I wanted to slap Nelson as much as JA wanted to punch him last night. First when he was yelling his head off about Guzman daring to take the evening off, and then turns right around and yells at Vicky to calm down when she was crying about her daughter being kidnapped. I wish someone had yelled at HIM to calm the hell down when he was having a hissy fit. The next time I really wanted to slap him silly was when he told Vicky he did not want to go to bed and leave her alone in charge because he was afraid she'd screw things up. And the final time was when he roughly forced Vicky to sit down because her pacing was bugging him. That's when JA got that 'I want to punch your lights out' look on his face. And he wasn't even around for those other two instances.

Should be interesting tonight when Nicki frees herself. What are Kendra and the incompetent kidnappers (who don't wear masks!) going to do then?
 

Tiempe Herald- Welcome Tiempe and glad you are joining us in enjoying this TN. It is alot like Upstairs/Downstairs in the servants and served lives. The servants especially make this show, Tomasina, Polita and Jean Marie, but the best part are the bodyguards, The Angel and Guzmancito. Sigh! The villans are so inept too. That's a good thing.
 

Elvira,

Terrific recap! I'd call it a day. Don't worry about doing more.
I missed the part about the tools,
so many thanks. I do know the word herramienta, but Paula said it quickly, so all I heard was ramienta, and I tried to find it in the dictionary to know avail. However, I should have figured it out from the context.

I am wondering how most viewers watch these TN's - with captions or without? I watch without because I want to test my listening skills. Now, I have a notebook in front of me, and I write down expressions that I really like or want to know
better. I record the show, so I can go back and watch certain parts again. I always listen for the subjunctive, and I am impressed that correct grammar
is used consistently.

Two things more of interest not in order:
2)Beatriz said when she first married Leo, he was very loving to her, but gradually beame more possessive and wouldn't let her work. She is trained as an Exec. Secretary and would like to work now, but she needs to take care of her son. That's when Chrissie said that she would be glad to help and take him back and forth to school. She loves children. That's when Beatriz wondered why Chris didn't have more children. Apparently she was very ill after having Lili and couldn't have more altho she had hoped to have a big family with Jose Angel.

1) Chris was telling Beatriz about the great new neighbor whom she wants her to meet and that her name is Paula. Then B. starts to say that is the name of her mother. She stops because she remembers that her brother Francisco had said that their mother is dead. Chrissie is shown to be a very loving, compassionate character. I don't blame her for being jealous or suspicious that other women would be clamoring after her hubbie.

I sm enjoying this TN and for the most part the action is fairly fast paced.

Thanks agin, Elvira for your help with this.
 

Elvira - great recap. You do rush well. :D Love the JA pic.

Ugh, so now Kendra and Nikki will be best buds. I wonder if Kendra instructed the kidnapper to grope Nikki so she'd feel Kendra is her hero by breaking it up.

Doris - Yep, Nelson said "your daughter." He's thought-bubbled to himself before that Nikki was a result of being careless with Vicki.

The kidnappers didn't wear masks so surely their day is coming.
 

Hi, all,

One more thing ...
Before Anibal suggested that Paula take an art history class, she asked him if they could take a trip. He replied that he was too busy now, but later they could go on one. Then she told him that she felt asphyxiated in the apartment and wanted to move. He was very surprised, "Adonde"? He reminded her that when the place was built, she insisted on moving there. Now, however, she is not happy there. That's when he decided she is bored and should take a class.
 

Floridia- So good to see you commenting again. Also, thank you for adding all those extra details.

As for tn watching style, I watch once, with no ccs. When I'm recapping, I listen more intently because I like to detail conversations. In that case, I may replay a scene with an important conversation, and if an unfamiliar word comes up, I'll go by what I think I heard, Google it, and then I know. 99% my hearing guesses is good enough to get the spelling right. One of the reasons why I love Spanish-- what you hear is usually what you get.
 

Thanks for perfect recap, no appologies necessary. I wish I could figure out how to get cc, since i switched to cable from dtv, can't make it work. i can get cc on the univision site but they are couple days delayed and i miss out on the great conversations here.
Very definitely two hands up on creepy dude on the dirty mattress. they could not have made him more despicable.
 

To answer the OT question, I watch without subtitles in either language. I can't get them because I long ago lost the remote to the TV set. However, I don't mind because I don't want to risk becoming lazy in my comprehension.

I also think that Nelson considers Nikki to be a nuisance and this may have been true from conception or why would she be such an attention whore now?
 

Ron - I have DTV and I get cc. Go to memu, settings, display, and then 2nd from the bottom is cc options. I'm not in front of my tv but think this is right. If you want cc in english it is service 3. Hope this help you. I have to have my cc on. My spanish in not that good but I'm picking it up as I go.
 

Elvira---Thanks---Good recap, you said more to come but I think you covered it quite well.

OMG!! The kidnappers, what slimeball creeps. And stupid too--right, no masks.

I too like/vote for Poleta and the gay cook--forgot his name but those two bring in some laughter to an otherwise serious novela.

Are Kendra and Dances with Sunglasses trying to take over the business?
the gringo
 

Elvira, you are the ultimate multitasker because you produced a great recap while juggling the holiday thingys as well. And pics too. I'm appreciative to read your recap since right now, I can't wear my contacts and I can't see the cc's. And my Spanish is too rudimentary to keep up. Thanks!

The other slimey thug was in Destilando Amor as one of the guys on the wine tour with Big Ed and Aaron, the phone thrower. Kendra hasn't thrown a phone for awhile but she will never break Aaron's record anyway. Hope Nikki changes for the better after this horrible kidnapping.

Ginca
 

Gringo, good to see you here. It hasn't been clear what it is exactly that Dances with Sunglasses and Kendra really want. Kendra is working for Odette, as a spy, already, but this plot of Dances with Sunglasses has been going on before that. I think Dances with Sunglasses is working for someone else. Kendra was the one that suggested kidnapping Nikki, and Dances with Sunglasses came up with the idea of kidnapping Vikki. They want more than money I think, but what we don't know yet. Not a spoiler but I think Dances with Sunglasses has some other type of agenda.
 

OT- about the recaps. I don't use either English or Spanish cc's. I do it only by listening and watching the body language. I too look words up in my dictonary, or I google it, and most of the time I am right. I like how the commenters catch my mistakes and tell me. This way, when I don't get a nuance, y'all let me know :)
 

Oh Elvira, it was a great recap, thank you very much for it!

And to answer the question:

Madelaine said: don't use either English or Spanish cc's. I do it only by listening and watching the body language. I too look words up in my dictonary, or I google it, and most of the time I am right.

Same here. :) Since I live in Europe and I watch telenovela episodes downloaded from the web, I don't have CCs. And I had to develop my comprehension skills very quickly to keep up with the shows. Fortunately the Mexican Spanish pronunciation is somehow similar to that of my mother language, so it isn't that hard to identify unknown words and look them up in a dictionary. (Spanishdict.com is my favourite online dictionary.)

But I can't emphasize enough how much I love GatoViejo's CC-site! (Which I discovered only a few weeks ago.) Those CCs helped me a lot when I didn't have much time to write a recap. I wish I had them in the good old LVO times.

On the other hand, when I watch English-speaking movies or TV shows, I prefer to use English subtitles. I remember watching Hunger (a movie of Michael Fassbender) in the cinema without subtitles. It was a fantastic movie but that Irish accent gave me a headache.
 

I'm a native English speaker, but have lived in Mexico so I know Spanish fluently. I just watch the novela and can understand it. What I love is this site, which comments on the novela in my native language and culture. I get such a kick out of it! It adds a whole new level to the novela. In my experience with Hispanics, they just don't "do" sarcasm and snark the way Americans do, and for me the snark is a must-have with novelas/soap operas. It just rounds out the experience. When the show is actually good, it stands on its own (but is still better re-capped), but if the show is no good, the recappers still make it enjoyable and worth watching, with the hilarious and insightful comments they bring out.

My question for this episode: Couldn't Kendra and Dances come up with a plan that wouldn't require Kendra to go through so much of the kidnapping along with Nikki?
 

Thanks to everyone who commented about watching with or without captions. I think Kendra got a little more than she was bargaining for. I thought she was permanently out of there when she left the room
to use BR. Perhaps she will con Nikki into begging Daddy for the money sooner rather than later - altho the gun incident to come
may not be compatible with that theory. Also agree with all those who cannot stand the "sex"
scenes with Kendra and Nelson.
Definitely something to avoid at all costs.
 

Hi all. Loved the recap Elvira! Compact but perfect, really!

We have on the Spanish ccs. I barely glance at them now, but they have helped in the past when a new word (new to me) was said. Now I only seem to notice them when they're wrong, LOL!

But hubby would be lost without the ccs. He's much less experienced than I. I notice he rarely looks up words anymore - tremendous progress for him. But the fast speakers are still challenging.
 

Of course we know that Nelson only married Vicki to marry into the good life. And now he wants to pretend that he has the power in the company (pretend he's Anibal) and have his little piece on the side. I can't wait for Anibal to catch Nelson dissing his daughter.

I loved how Nelson freaked when Kendra was in his house. The idiot hoped to keep his private life compartmentalized and tidy. Kind of tough when you're in a family business and your wife hired the model - idiot! Gosh the Nelson actor makes a good idiot!
 

Sorry to arrive so late to this discussion today. Thanks so much for this excellent recap and of course the delightful photo of a very worried Ángel, Elvira.

I began watching these TNs some years ago without realizing that CCs even existed. Lots of rewinding and careful listening. I watch with CCs and have devoted a great deal of effort and time corresponding with a local Univision representative whenever the quality of the CCs falter. I think that she must dread my Emails.

I haven't seen much discussion here about the possible identity of Adriana's daughter. Someone we haven't met yet?... or maybe either Nikki or Lilli? I almost got the idea from Nelson last night that Nikki might not actually be his daughter.

Carlos
 

Hi All,

I could muddle though without CCs but I would miss soooo much.

Just now learning Spanish and fast talking actors!! I could understand the feelings but the CCs help with the nuances.

I somehow have grown to like one of the kidnappers. He went out to buy special food for Nikki and hates the name he was given---can't remember? He totally freaked when Nikki held him at gunpoint!

I probably have that strange syndrome...kidnapping syndrome or something. I just don't find him creepy. Even though he wanted to jump Nikki's "bones".

He is probably expendable to the novela but I like him.

I surely expected someone to get killed or hurt tonight. Probably tomorrow night.

Thanks again for the re-caps.

Peace to all, Tiempe.
 

Elvira: Excellent title and recap...Thanks so much for all your time and effort, despite being so very busy. I always look forward to your recaps.

"trilling" and "great word adn Then she says to herself (with a steely look) that he'd BETTER be asleep!" were a few of my favorites.

I felt so bad for Guzman and Jose is being so very kind and sympathetic to Vikki. Tomasina is wonderful!

Welcome Tiempe Herald!!!

Diana
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder