Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Por ella soy Eva #154 2/26/13: A Convenient Death, and Mutt and Jeff Receive a Shock

Clouds hid my tv signal on and off tonight so I missed the very beginning. Esmas says:

Mendoza sees Juan Carlos, unconscious, in the closet. He comes into the bathroom, admires himself in the mirror, suddenly a Masked Man enters and threatens him with a pistol. Mendoza thinks it's Plutarco. The pistol falls to the floor. The Masked Man is mocked by Mendoza, but a shot rings out and he falls in the Jacuzzi and is electrocuted. Onesimo leaves the hotel room. Juan staggers out of the closet, grabs his cellphones, and leaves with Mendoza's portfolios.

Helena and Adri go to find Eva at the pension. Mimi improvises, saying Eva's talking to an old friend, Adri doesn't believe it.

Pluto looks pretty darn worried as he sees the corpse exiting the hotel. He later shakes Onesimo, furious that he killed Mendoza and didn't get the portfolios. He demands: "Find the passports and the 3 million dollars." "Do it yourself."

When my antenna signal came back: Juan, looking ghastly as half-Eva and still pretty drugged, staggers away, barefoot, his fake boobs hanging out, his wig in his hand, doubled over with gastritis. Mimi calls (Helena and Adri hovering over her); she passes the phone to Adri. Juan as Eva can barely squeak out an excuse - she's going to have a sleepover with her friend. Adri assumes she's drunk. "Trust me, this is the last time I'll be absent like this." "It better be!" he barks.

Slumped on the ground, Juan calls his mom. She finds him lying there burning up with fever. It's really a horrible sight. Eugenia takes him to the hospital. When Helena calls Juan, Eugenia answers and says he can't answer just now. Turns out he has an ulcer from his chronic (and untreated) gastritis. He needs an operation. The ulcer had almost perforated but in a week he'll be as good as new.

The atmosphere is lighter when Mimi gets to the hospital. He says everybody at the hospital is laughing at him (for having turned up as a half-trannie). "This is no laughing matter, what if Mendoza opens his mouth?"

Helena calls Eva: "I just found out Mendoza died last night." Impactado.

Rebeca is likewise amazed to find out Mendoza is dead - "good thing I didn't go to that assignation with him."

Onesimo calls Rebe, he'd waited for her all night. "I was hiding from you." "I know you have Pluto's papers, watch out, he wants you dead." "Well, naco, if he finds out you have the millions it's you who will be dead." "He asked me to make you disappear, Rebe." She changes the subject: "Did you kill Mendoza?" "I can't kill a Christian." He again asks her to forget about vengeance and leave with him. She says, "Not if you were the last naco on earth." Incredibly, he is not discouraged! He will have her no matter what!

Juan marvels to Mimi and Eugenia: "Mendoza was killed while I was in the closet!! This is too dangerous for you, I have to get out you out of danger." "But we can't leave you alone." "I have friends who will help me."

Fer and Santi have come to the hospital to see Eva. She tells them to stand by the door, where they can't see her, she's not decent. She reminds them she's been there for them when they needed her - with Jennifer, Angelica, Patricia, and Grupo Impera. Now it's time for them to rally round... He goes on reminding them of times he pulled them out of the fire, going back in time... "... and remember Cancun, and that time Santi was drunk and vomited." "How can you know all this? You weren't at Grupo Imperio then." "How much did you love Juan Carlos?" Lots. "And if you saw this neanderthal was still alive?" "I would give him a big hug..." "Now come in with your eyes closed... now open them." Juan is lying there, as himself. "How are you?"

Nobody could call these two quick on the uptake. They stand staring, stunned, paralyzed. "Where is Eva hidden?" "Don't be an idiot." They start fighting with each other and yelling at Juan. It's the Mutt and Jeff show. He yells to snap them out of it. "I NEED YOUR HELP." Big hug. He asks them to sneak him out of the hospital. They go to the pension and go over the files in Mendoza's portfolios. Juan explains about the hacker disk. "I can't prove I didn't open an account for my mom and put the now-missing millions into it." In the portfolios are records of all sorts of accounts for fictitious people, and also for Helena in NY and for Juan himself.

Though Mendoza has croaked, the fraud investigation at GI must go on. Arenas the auditor reports that Helena is free of suspicion. Helena reminds them she saw Mendoza in her office, he could have planted the compromising documents. She also wonders where Renato got the idea she was making hidden deals. Pluto immediately blames everything on Mendoza. Helena: "This isn't the first time that all suspician falls on a corpse." Helena says she can fix the FIXA mess. She tells Adri she doubts Juan's guilt and shows him the two theses, one completely false. Adri, embarrassed, has to admit he never read the thesis so can't say which is the real one. Helena: "Plutarco told me you yourself specifically said to use this thesis and base the project on it." "What? I never said that." Adri can't believe Pluto could be involved and is angry she suggested it. Still, he asks Pluto about it...

Pluto apparently sneaks into the morgue and unzips Mendoza's body bag. He tells the corpse: "I'm glad to see you here. Now you can't blackmail me. I'm giving you all the broken plates." The morgue guy gives Pluto all Mendoza's stuff. "Weren't there more documents?" A cop shows up and tells Pluto Mendoza "was with a woman, he asked her to come up to his room..." Pluto sees a chance to pull Eva into the murder investigation and tells the cop: "It's rumored they had more than a work relationship."

Rebe comes to see Adri. Pluto has a temper tantrum and says she can't come in but Adri overrules him. Pluto intercepts her outside and says she'll never get her job back. She says she will and, furthermore, he will marry her. "How can you force me?" She proves she knows about all the fake accounts (the ones Mutt and Jeff and Juan are marveling over).

Oh and p.s. - Everybody is laughting at Jennifer at school, her friend says: "Haven't you seen those pictures of you on the internet? Everybody has seen them, they're very daring." Marcela stares, Jennifer is embarrassed.

Labels:


Comments:
Hi All,

What a fast re-cap! Thank you!

A Telenovela with the first obvious murder at the final weeks. I had just said to my son how much I admired this show with no killings.

Oh well.

Fernando and Santiago will never be able to keep this secret but I am glad the truth is out.

I was surprised that Jennifer even had problems at school with Daniel putting her pictures out...unless there really were some with nudity.
They looked nice to me - the ones they showed.

I love that Juan called his Mom for help!

I worry for Adriano - heart problems like his sister - when the truth comes forth!

I have really enjoyed most of this telenovela even when I was sure I would quit on it.

Thanks to all.

Peace to all, Tiempe.
 

¡Guau! That was fast Melinama.

And double ¡Guau! for that murder scene. Mendoza sure got the chance to do some spectacular dying. And Onesimo is the killer?!? I've been rooting for his doofy self to end up with Rebecca. Now that he is a killer I guess he has to die -- or something equally nasty. Maybe he'll sacrifice himself to save Rebecca's cuerpocito.

Yes it was cute when Juan called his Mother for help. And I loved the way she made up the story about him being her nephew Juan Mistral who has recently discovered his "tendencies" and she asked for discretion from the doctors.

I enjoyed the way they continued yesterday's slapstick by having Adriano go through the same sitting & standing schtick on the red couch -- and Helena's snapping at him.

Santi & Fer, what a pair. How long do you suppose they can keep this secret? I loved how Santi melted at the romance of JC doing all this to be near Helena.

Güera
 

Thank you Melinama. Quick and very exciting!! . Did the gun get jammed and fail to fire, or did Onesimo just drop the gun? There is something about Onesimo that makes me think he is not the killing kind, but he definitely committed murder! Leave it to the naco to be the hitman who kills someone with s hair dryer!! That is hilarious ! It can be his calling card, the 'Conair' murderer. Also, Uncle Fester did a good job of really looking scary-dead in that bath tub, and boy did he look sooooooo dead. No question!

I loved Eugenia coming to the rescue. She was my hero in this episode. I was wondering what excuse she was using for her 'sobrino's' cross dressing...I knew it would be something funny. Thanks Melinama for translating the part about his 'tendencies' ...it went over my head.

I am so glad Juan was smart enough to grab the brief case and both phones on the way out.

Can you believe how hard it must have been for Helena to tell Adri that his sister ormhis brother in law may have plaigarized her project? Adri was not very encouraging to Helena who saved the company more than once and also was being honest with him. Ugh...it frustrates me!!

I don't know how JC expects Mutt and Jeff to help him. They are most likely to mess things up. I wish he could ask for Renatos or Marci's help instead...but it was a happy scene when they realized that their best buddy was still alive! Gertie


 

Melinama: Thanks so much for this wonderful, gem of a recap, so fast too.

Santi and Fern, I really too wonder how long it will take, especially with Fern knowing, that one of them won't slip up and out JC as being alive. I liked the group hug and also the prelude with the Eva voice too funny.

So Adri knows more now, about Pluti's possible involvement. The anvils sure are lining up for Pluti, can't wait for all of them to hit him. Glad that JC got those documents before he left Mendoza's room. Now they really have something to work with. And Onesimo being Mendoza's killer. I too was rooting for him, but now he will have to save someone, not Pluti, in order to be somewhat redeemed, but I really dont' think Onesimo will be redeemed now.

I like how Santi gave JC the advice about Felix and did an imitation of Felix, that was too funny.

Glad Helena had that talk with Adri, I know Adri was angry, but maybe now he will think and put two and two together for a change. I hope the investigation gets extended or continues. Especially since Helena showed the two thesis' of Antonia's.

Loved that Rebe got in Pluti's face with all his "identities" and which one was she gonna marry him under. Her and Onesimo have so much dirt on Pluti. Can't wait to see if he actually marries Rebe or tries to get rid of her.
 

Am I mistaken, or did Onessimo kill Mendoza because of jealousy over Rebecca's attentions? If so, then he has definitively crossed over to the dark side - he went from "I'll surrender all I have for love," to "she will be mine no matter what," to the point of murder. I think his chances of redemption have suddenly become very, very slim. The best he can hope for is a hero's death, but that seems unlikely.

Don't you hate when you think of something and don't say it, then it turns out to be true? Last night, as we pondered how Mendoza's discovery of Juan would play out, I thought, "maybe he'll die before he tells anyone." Then I thought, "No, never happen - they already used that trick with Antonia; they wouldn't do the same thing again." WRONG!!!

 

Paula: You were right on what Onesimo said. It was about Rebe. He is like Pluti this way consumed with jealousy, but he took it one step further. I too really think now that Onesimo won't be redeemed. He would have to die in order to be redeemed.
 

Thank you so much, Melinama! Boy, you're so fast!

I'm checking in to see if anyone else is steamed about how they're chopping up this novela. It was bad earlier, but now they're cutting so much it's getting confusing. Where did Rebecca get the fake passports? When did it occur to JC to look in the briefcase? I'm sure there was an escape-from-the-hospital scene that we didn't get to see.

They did the same thing with Llena de Amor - suddenly near the end they cut it by 50% (made 1 hour shows out of 2 hours) so that it was impossible to follow without looking for the full episodes on the internet.

Why oh why didn't they cut all those earlier scenes where JC was telling Mimi he was going to tell Helena he was Eva, and she kept talking him out of it? They could have cut the ads for various prodcuts. Instead, they're heavily cutting the ending.
 

Thank you for the recap, Melinama.
The episode did have a lot going on. The return of Dumb and Dumber. I hope that they don't disappoint. Oneismo is one jealous naco. How will his anvil drop?
Thank goodness, Eva lives for another day.
I forgot about the pictures, oh no!!!!
Maggie- Rebeca went to Pluti's house looking for the $3 million dollars. When she found an empty safe, she was leaving and touched the urn with Antonia's ashes, once again insulting her. The urn fell and when she tried to put it back into place she found a plastic bag which contained the passports.


 

I think we can't believe Onesimo is truly evil because his general screen affect is cheerful and funny - like the character he played in La Fea Mas Bella - also because this novela has tried to avoid the over-the-top hellish quality of the usual novela with this hitman.
 

Paula is right: Mendoza was killed because of his interest in Rebeca. I liked how the gun dropped so Onésimo took advantage of the situation to try to make it look like an accident. So now we have Onésimo the thug, the enforcer (nasty enough) and the killer. I wonder if Pluterco realizes that he has two tigers (Onésimo & Rebecca) by the tail or if he still thinks he is in control. I still hope Onésimo has the last laugh on Pluterco.

Considering dark humor, the headline in the newspaper:"Abogado Rostizado en el Jacuzzi" was a hoot.

Finally, the wheels are turning in Adriano's head and he has admitted to himself the possibility of Pluterco not telling him the truth.

Fun episode!

Jarifa
 

Thanks, Melinama. i like how you say it was Mutt and Jeff who received a shock... when really it was Mendoza. I feel bad that Onesimo can't get what he wants now because of TN rules. I like him. Like Tiempe I've been happy to be watching a show without violence, although Pluto's menacing of Antonia right before her death was hard to watch.

The scene with JC, Santi, and Fernando was great! I has someone over and was glad to be translating what was happening for this big event. JC had an attack, had an operation, revealed his identity, and was home scheming all in one capitulo. That would never happen so fast on a soap in the U.S.


 

Thank you, CHF. Looks I picked the wrong night to miss an episode. (I still have it - just won't have time to watch till this weekend.)

I knew Mendoza wouldn't get out of this story unscathed, but didn't realize he'd actually be rostizado!! I was thinking maybe prison with a very attentive warden.

"Nobody could call these two quick on the uptake." No. Sadly. It's a little frightening that Juan's putting his fate in their hands. He'd be better off putting Lalito in charge! The kid will work for milk and sparkling clean laundry!

I will have to see "Onesimo Unplugged" with my own eyes to believe it. Not that I don't believe all these witness accounts... but I cannot picture this actor, good as he is, pulling it off. I love it when someone I admire still manages to exceed my expectations!
 

Maggie, about the briefcase. When Juan regained consciousness at Mendoza's, he looked around for his posessions - his shoes, wig, and phones, and at that time he noticed the briefcase and took it. Back at the pension was the first chance he had to look at it.

I agree, there must've been a hospital escape scene they cut out. And there have been other gaping holes lately.

As far as I can figure out, the only reason Juan revealed himself to Mutt & Jeff was so they could help him escape the hospital. And of course to add plot elements - we know they've got loose lips, and hijinx will ensue.
 

Helena is going to be EVEN ANGRIER when she finds out he confided in them first.
 

Thanks, Melinama! I can't wait to watch! Although I, too, am disappointed about Onésimo. I was still holding out for him giving Rebe the ride of her life.
 

Great recap Melinama. This episode was very high energy with lots of twists.

I hoped/expected something would prevent Mendoza's reveal of Eva/JC, but I never expected that! Nor that Onisimo would be the murderer. You guys are right that although he was following Pluti's orders, Oni's main motivation for offing Mendoza was Rebe and jealousy. His final fate is now a big question mark. Rebe has murderous tendencies too, as she poisoned Helena and nearly killed her, and encouraged Pluti to finish off Toni was she was in the hospital. I don't think either of these three will have a happy ending.

The scenes of the three amigos were hilarious. Good to see them back together again, although I had to shake my head when Fer scolded JC for not being supportive of his stupidity (the fraud and his issues with Marce) while he was Eva. Really Fernando? Have you learned nothing?

Poor Jennifer. I wonder how much she ended up revealing in the pics to Daniel? I surely hope she's not totally topless!

 

If there are laws against sending nudie pix of underage girls, Daniel could still end up in serious trouble. Even if Marcela/Fernando didn't prosecute, perhaps some other angry parent might be upset to see that on their kid's phone.
 

I too feel bad for Jennifer especially since she had to find out from a friend why all the kids at school were shunning her. I think Dan should go to jail too, but is he eighteen? If he is, he can still go to juvvie. I hope he gets a punishment for everything he did to Claudia and especially Jennifer. I bet he pulled this with the other girl/girls his Papa mentioned. Why didn't those parents do something? Did Papa pay them off?
 

I think Daniel's of age and could (theoretically) go to jail but somehow a slap on the wrist and probation seem more likely. :(

Papa probably paid off the parents of the other girls Daniel messed with. Fernando did tell Marcela he wouldn't accept any hush money; but that was a somewhat empty gesture considering Papa already threatened to turn Fernando in for fraud (over his "blindness") if he prosecutes Daniel (so obviously Papa wasn't planning on paying hush money).

If Fernando REALLY feels like manning up, he can turn Daniel in anyway and face the consequences of his fraud. Or Marcela can turn Daniel in and LET Fernando face the consequences!
 

If Fern did turn Daniel in for what he did, Fern would definitely be redeemed. Now I want to see what Fern does, cause he doesn't know yet, only Marcela and Jennifer.
 

Putting myself into the circumstances as portrayed, the most likely scenario would be that Daniel's dad didn't pay off the parents (what decent father would take money in exchange for his daughter's virtue?), but rather paid off the judge, who is much easier to bribe and has no attachment to the victim. So all Daniel got was a stiff warning and a new school with new victims. Every poor Mexican firmly believes that if you have money, you'll never go to jail, no matter how much evidence is against you.
 

I had a nice laugh at Julie's comment that Lalito would do a better job of helping Juan (than Mutt and Jeff would) if bribed with milk and clean laundry. Afterall, The kid owes JC for opening an amusement park for him, falling out of a tree for him, playing Mysterioso wrestling with him, and not smacking him for putting all that hot sauce on his Taco. OK. ...I take that back. Juan still owes both Lalo and Helena big time for posing as Juan Perrone. And I think that Helena is still going to be majorly p-o'd with Juan if/when she ever finds out about Eva. Not just because he used Eva to manipulate her heart back to Juan, but also to fool her little boy, too. And we all know how protective she is of that little boy! I am thinking Juan is going to need to do something extremely heroic to win Helena back if she finds out the truth. Clearing his own name and perhaps clearing *her* name of the fraud doesn't seem quite enough for a deep, trusting relationship . Gertie
 

Did anyone catch that one of Pluto's fake names is Juan Carlos Caballero? Did I dream it up or did she state it?

The things mothers will do for their sons! I love how Eugenia is quick to "create a persona" for Juan and protect him.

Lalito, investigator! ha! ha! Very funny, Julie!

Maybe it's time for Santi and Fer to help their compadre. As much as they stated that they missed him, I saw them pretty cheerful throughout the show. If my BFF had passed away, I would have had longer reflections periods about it.

As for Onesimo... I didn't think he had it in him. I would have thought Rebe more capable of this type of cruelty. Anyone care to explain why being a Christian would protect one from being the victim of murder? (In the end, Pluti is all talk, but not as dangerous as those who execute the deeds for him.)


 

PS Being new to the telenovella world: what's the rule on murder???

 

Annick- Yep. Pluti has a passport in JC's name. That's proof that he's the one who travelled to open that account for the stolen money, and not JC. That's why Rebe knows she has Pluti by the short and curlies.

Murder (the cold blooded kind, not meant to protect someone) usually means death or jail for the murderer in a tn.

The "Cristianos" thing goes back to the old days in Spain during the conflict between the Christians in Spain and the Muslim Moors. It's one of those old sayings that are still used in Spanish, that just sound wrong now. Back in the old days you were either a Christian, or you were a savage, and less than human/not human. So saying killing a Christian was/is the same as saying killing a human. The other saying always used is the "seeing Moors with daggers" saying that means seeing dangers everywhere. That one is less offensive than the Christians one.
 

Thanks Vivi! Where did you acquire your superior knowledge of Spanish? I notice that you often give details that I don't get when I watch the show.
 

This is a way late comment, but I thought I heard Pluti yell at Onesimo for killing Mendoza, Pluti said he only wanted Ones to frighten him.

Sue in Florida
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder