Tuesday, June 18, 2013

PEAM, Tuesday 6/18/13 (#72): Running With Scissors

Chucho doesn't want to go to Acapulco, but that dress isn't going to deliver itself, and he is the only person in the world who can do it, according to Valentina, Xochi, Mari, and Cardenas; so who is he to disagree? He calls Delia and says there's an emergency, and therefore he has to leave town, pretty please?

Delia starts to say no, but then some flunkie hands her a signed, stamped, and approved arrest warrant. (If you play it back verrrrrry slowly, you can see "Rogelio Rivadeneira" in blurry letters in the lower left corner.) This pleases her so much that she authorizes Chucho's request. "Gee, thanks," he says without enthusiasm. "We're going to Acapulco," he tells Valentina in the same tone one might say "we're going to the Registry of Motor Vehicles."

Cardenas helpfully protests that there isn't enough money in the budget for two more tickets, but Mari and Xochi say that Rogelio will probably fire Cardenas if he's the reason Alma doesn't get her dress and they cancel the wedding. So, yeah, this is gonna happen, and Chucho's gonna MAKE it happen! What a guy!

Sansón and Rogelio get a couple's massage, complete with cucumber slices on their eyelids and scented candles everywhere.

Alma and Paty are getting facials, also with cucumber slices. Paty agrees to help Alma with her makeup, "IF the dress arrives." "Don't tempt fate," Alma warns. (Is it really necessary to "tempt" fate? Dude, fate is like a little kid running with scissors!)

Sebastian and Susana are still walking along the beach. He's just told her that some broad took him for every penny he had, and he had to tell his wife that he'd had an affair. Alma knows about it too, and she knows that the disappointment killed her mother. Sebastian is sure that Alma's never completely forgiven him for it. But, luckily, he was able to make all his money back thanks to Rogelio's help. "I owe everything to Rogelio." (Where "owe" = "pimp" and "everything" = "my daughter, who already blames me for her mother's death so I figure why not go whole hog on this being-an-asshole thing I'm so good at."

At the airport, there's a glimmer of hope: the plane will be departing soon, and the line at the ticket counter is REALLY long. They'll never make it on time! But does Chucho seize this opportunity to derail the wedding? No, he asks the people ahead of him to take pity on him because his boss is getting married and yadda yadda yadda, can I jump the line? They let him pass - and they applaud him.

Excuse me; I think I need a Tums. A big one. Or perhaps just a very large grain of salt.

Rogue's massage is cut short by Cantú (the lawyer) and Fernando. Cantú's contact at the Ministerio Público gave him a heads-up about the cell phone they found at the warehouse. Rogue realizes that it's Malvino's phone and that there are probably a zillion phone calls between them in the call log. He sits up, enraged, and further irritates his injury. "This is all your fault," he yells at Fernando. "Thanks to you, I'll go to jail!" (Alma and Paty can hear his voice in the next room, but can't tell what he's saying.)

Alma is on the phone with someone saying they sent her gown to the office instead of to Acapulco. "No, my God, now what?" Paty gasps in exaggerated surprise. The comical note in her voice escapes Alma's notice.

Eli is, in fact, in Acapulco. He sees Vero sunbathing (she looks insolent even with giant sunglasses that cover half her face) and flashes back to that time when he and Vero and Valentina spilled 100% Organic Popcorn all over the bed. (Was this their only happy moment as a family? Because that's his only flashback!) He tries to talk her into reconciling, but he doesn't offer any new arguments to persuade her.

Rogue, Ferny, and Cantú have gone back to Rogue's room to discuss all the grim possibilities. Cantú surmises that an arrest warrant will probably be issued. (Sansón barks in alarm, probably wondering who will take him to the spa when Master is in jail.) Cantú doesn't think it will happen yet, though, because it's the weekend.

The Only Cab Driver in Acapulco rushes Chucho and Valentina to the hotel. Meanwhile, Alma tells Paty that Xochi said the dress was on its way, but didn't provide any details.

Vero just happens to be loafing around the hotel lobby when Chucho arrives. She is overjoyed to see him, but he doesn't waste any time with greetings. He asks her to watch his princesa while he finishes his very important errand.

Paty lets Chucho into the room, and Alma comes out of the bathroom at the same time, clad only in a merry widow and stockings. She gathers her tiny flimsy robe around her and thanks him for bringing the dress. "I brought Rogelio's suit too," he says mournfully. "I'll just go find Valentina and get back on the plane."

"Oh, but that's not Rogelio's suit! I bought that for you!" Just what every man wants from his favorite woman on the day that she marries another guy.

Valentina tells Vero the whole story of how Daddy Jesus brought the dress here for Alma but he didn't want to come because it's going to be painful for him to watch the Queen get married. "Say, why didn't you ever marry Daddy Jesus?" Vero is staring through the window of a jewelry store, looking at diamonds, and suddenly has a brilliant idea. She wants Valentina to help! (Where'd I put those Tums?)

Alma insists that Chucho accept the suit. "Think of it as a reward for bringing my dress. I beg you to stay, in the name of our Friendship!" (Oh, YEAH! She's playing the "F"-card!)

Paty has left the room in disgust. She finds Rogue, Fernando, and Sansón outside. She reports that Alma is ready, the dress is here, and guess who brought it? Well, yes, it was a messenger... a very fine messenger. And he saw Alma half-naked! Rogue doesn't seem very curious about this messenger, but wants to see Alma right away. Fernie warns that it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. "My luck can't get any worse!" Rogue yells as he hobbles away. Snickering, Paty tells Fernie of the horror that awaits Rogelio.

Chucho agrees to attend the wedding. He tells Alma how beautiful she looks. Of course, she's always beautiful. He goes on and on and then he zips and unzips his lips a bunch of times. (Watch out, Chucho - bad things happen to little boys who play with zippers!)

Alma tries to reply, but gets seriously tongue-tied: "I, um, I think, well, er, you..." She zips her own lips in frustration.

Rogue bursts into the room and sees Chucho. "Oh no, I'm having a nightmare. How dare you look at my future wife in her underwear?!"
Alma: It was an accident.
Rogue: Sure, like that time at the gym?
Alma: Who told you about that?
Rogue: Er... uh... because everyone knows about it. Yeah, that's the ticket! It was everybody.
Chucho: Hey, maybe I should go...
Alma: Say, when did Paty leave? I need her to help me with my dress.
Chucho: Oh, did Paty leave? I didn't notice. I was too busy looking at you.
Rogue: WHAT??
Chucho: Um, bye!

Chucho takes off to find Paty. Alma and Rogue argue about how awesome/meddlesome he is. Alma asks Rogue if he really wants to spend these last few moments before their wedding in a fight? "You know, I've heard that some people call off their weddings when they fight like this!" Rogue backs down immediately and apologizes. They both calm down and admit that they're nervous. He cheers up and says hey, soon we'll be married, isn't that great? And she doesn't look cheerful at all. "I don't deserve you. I love you," he says with what looks like real sincerity (one of the virtues that Alma ascribed to him the other night).

Paty is crying in her hotel room, which looks very much like her apartment except for the view out the window. Chucho knocks. She tries to fix herself up before answering the door, but he can tell she's been crying. She denies crying, but is sarcastic when she says she'll help Alma put on her dress. Chucho shakes his head in befuddlement.

Vero and Valentina have a couple of shopping bags. One of them is very small! Something is a surprise for Daddy Jesus, but Valentina doesn't know what it is. Vero is sure he'll love it.

Rogelio's fan club - that's his brother, his dog, and his lawyer - reconvene. Cantú says he found out that Chucho fell victim to some type of fraud in Chicago. Some "investors" tricked him out of all his money. Also, he's on conditional parole and could easily be sent to prison. (Sansón barks again in alarm. I guess if Chucho goes to jail, that's the end of doggie's contingency plan.) They can frame him for something.

Jessica has arrived in Acapulco! (How'd she get Fernie's room number?) She spent all of her savings on a plane ticket because she knew he'd be lonesome. He is touched. However, when he returns to Rogue's fan club meeting, he refuses to tell Rogue who was at the door.

While helping Alma with her gown, Paty fantasizes strangling her and screaming at her for marrying her man. She finishes the job (the gown job, not the strangulation) and hurriedly excuses herself without explanation.

We finish the episode with a series of phone calls:

Chatita's wearing a hard hat. Good idea - it will protect her from memory-related injuries! She calls Chucho. She's ready to go on their outing (I missed where). On hearing that he's in Acapulco, she hopefully asks if he's disrupting the wedding. He thinks he'd be selfish to interfere with Alma's happiness. "But you'll lose her!" He says he can't lose someone he never had.

Paty catches Chucho in mid-hangup and accuses him of "thinking about Alma." He is saved by the generic ringtone. Valentina says Mommy's going to buy her a bathing suit, but first they have a surprise for him. (He is still carrying his suit around with him in a garment bag.) But it is Chatita's voice that still echoes in his mind: "Think about it - you haven't even told Alma that you love her yet."

Xochi takes the "photo" of her "dad" out of its frame and shows Mari the back of it. Indeed, it is just a magazine clipping. Mari tries to comfort her.

The paparazzo from last week calls Rogue, who tries to blow him off. "If we don't talk, there may not be any wedding at all," the photographer threatens. Rogue rushes off to meet him (or kill him). Cantú takes off after him. Fern and Sansón are slower to follow.

Chatita calls Alma. "I wish you were here," Alma says. "Don't marry Rogelio!" Chatita warns ominously. "Wait, what'd I say?" Then she drops the phone and loses the connection. She and Alma try to call each other back simultaneously, resulting in many busy signals.

Xochi sadly realizes that there's no way her mother could have obtained a photo of her anonymous sperm donor. She still wants to know who he is. Mari has nothing to offer except coffee and hugs. (Because coffee is great for agitated people!)

Cantú tries to get Rogue to forget about the photographer. His wedding is just a few minutes away! Cantú tells him to let him take care of it.

Vero wonders what's taking Chucho so long to show up for his "surprise." He's been mulling things over in the hallway outside Alma's door. He tells Vero he needs to take care of something else first.

Chatita and Alma finally reconnect. "So what was I saying? Oh, right. I don't get why you're marrying a guy you don't love." "But I owe him!" "But you won't be happy with him." "Well, there's always a chance of that any time you marry someone." "Wouldn't you rather take that chance with Jesús?" Chatita tells her to think about it, how she'd feel if it were Chucho waiting for her at the altar instead.

Cue the kissing montage! I figure after that, in keeping with her usual behavior, Alma ought to be more determined to marry Rogue than ever... but this time, she realizes that her happiness is with Chucho, who coincidentally is quietly opening her door and sees her beaming with joy.

This would be a great time to end the episode, but there's more.

He sees how happy Alma is and assumes that she's happy to be marrying Rogelio, so he gives up and walks away sadly, unseen by Alma.

"I have to tell Jesús I love him and I'm not marrying Rogelio!" Alma explains, and runs in very slow motion towards the door.

Next time:
Perhaps she should have run faster, because it looks like the wedding is still on. OR IS IT??

Labels:


Comments:
I'm running late. Haven't seen the whole thing yet. Will finish the recap later... maybe as late as tomorrow morning. Sorry :-(
 

Ugh, also that avance about Darth Vader is not for real. It's the placeholder I use to remind me to write the real thing when I actually watch the avances. I usually delete that before posting. :)
 

So far so good Julie. Your title is just perfect. And your ongoing Tums theme is just way too appropriate. I'll admit I laughed at the Darth Vader reference, and thought you were talking about Xochi. Shows how gullible I am!

Not having the luxury of watching this episode, I can only say that Vero's brilliant idea makes me uncomfortable. So I'll have to wait for the rest of the recap to find out what happens. But Vero...jewelry store...diamonds...and Valentina helping...nope, ain't lookin' good.

By the way, my taxi driver told me this show ended here in Mexico this past Sunday. I wonder if I heard him right. Can shows end on Sunday?
 

Julie:

Am so enjoying this parte uno of your recap and loved the Tums theme too. Wonderful and running with scissors, lol. So now we know what this Sebas and Rogue thing is all about. I so liked your equation too.

Even if Chucho had had to wait to board a later plane I think Alma would have just gotten another dress.

I had to laugh when Chucho walked into that room and Alma had that corset with garters and stockings, lol. I have never heard it called the Merry Widow, lol

Can't wait for your parte dos.

Cap'n

Lately if a TN is really successful in Mexico, they have been airing the finales on Sundays so no one misses them. They did with Un Refugio Para El Amor, Por Ella Soy Eva, Amor Bravio, just to name a few.
 

Thanks Mads, I was pretty confident that at least I knew my Spanish days of the week, but I was wondering.
 

Sorry for the delay. I'm finishing the recap now.

No, the Darth Vader thing didn't have to do with Xochi, though that would be interesting if her father turned out to be someone in a crime family!
 

Done! Thanks for your patience.
 

Julie:

Your parte dos is as marvelous as the first.

Alma is so clueless! Once again, Chatita gives marvelous advice and Alma and Chucho don't listen. Oh, and Chucho is clueless too. They need to unzip their lips and speak already!

Rogue is such an idiot and it seems all his little schemes are starting to cave in on him. I too think Sanson is wondering about his Plan B, lol. I don't want Rogue's intimidation of poor Ferny to turn Ferny back into what he was before. I had to laugh when Sanson kept growling at Ferny, but eventually chilled out, lol.

Poor Xochi, I really think her Mama never hugged her. She has such a hard time hugging people and I like that Mari put Xochi's head on her shoulder, lol.

So I wonder if this wedding is ever taking place. In the avances both Rogue and Alma look like they want to run far, far away. Patymelt is crying and Chucho is shaking his head. I can't wait to see if this wedding takes place.

Oh, and Patymelt is BSC in her thoughts isn't she? Strangling Alma! Patymelt should be thinking of strangling Rogue!

JudyB:

You asked yesterday how Rogue could have such clear whites of the eyes, it's Visine. I used to use it and believe me, it gets rid of any red in your eyes instantly. I think that's why his whites are so clear.
 

Wonderfully irreverent Julie! This is going to be one mess of a wedding and actually can't wait to see exactly what happens.

Patimelt was wonderful last night: snarky, conniving, sad...pulled out all the stops. But I can't see her being the one to disrupt the wedding. I'm thinking the paparazzi guy at this point?

Have to love the Sanson spa treatment. That dog is the most laid back I've ever seen. He just goes along with "Juarever" they do to him. I say he deserves a supporting actor nomination.

Jessica showed up? Really? No---I really don't want a Jess/Fern hookup. Just something not connecting for me with those two. Poor thing, though, if he turns her down in the romance department after blowing all her money.

Vero makes me nauseous. I'm betting the delusional one actually bought a wedding band and is going to propose to Chucho. So help me, she pulls Val into that moments, I will implode!


 

Some great stuff in this one, Julie. I don't know how all this mess will get sorted out, so I'll just sit on the sidelines and see.

Loved Alma's hair style--don't remember seeing it up before. I had to smile at Sanson with the cucumber slices, the massage, and Jesus as his contingency plan.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Hi Julie, Part Dos is terrific too. Love the comment about Sanson's contingency plan. Dontcha just know the wedding is going to be a catastrophe? For us I mean because it's way too early for anything to be resolved. Ah well, it's fun to watch (or hear about) the antics. Thanks for the fun recaps, both parts.
 

I was just thinking, Chatita really went out on a limb for Chucho and Alma last night. She didn't bother trying to be subtle.
 

Love love love the title! A disturbing book but a great capper for this episode.

Just some of my favorite lines:

"I think I need a Tums. A big one. Or perhaps just a very large grain of salt." [me too, Julie, me too!]

[Vero] "She looks insolent even with giant sunglasses that cover half her face." [ah yes, but that exquisite figure...no wonder Elias is having a hard time letting go]

"organic popcorn all over the place.." {Actually, I'm sure that IS the only happy let-er-rip moment...but it's a great one}

"(bad things happen to little boys who play with zippers)" Amen. But this storyline still makes me very uncomfortable. We sure wouldn't see the humor if something parallel or similar happened to a woman would we? Even a villainess?

Point of information: Thanks MADS. So Visine is responsible for those crazy whites of Rogelio's eyes. I swear they must glow in the dark! Do yours?


Favorite scene? Hands down, Sanson lolling on his side getting a massage. He looked blissful.
 

Julie, thanks for the wonderful recap and your "Tums" motif. Yes, several parts of the episode could easily cause that "urpy" feeling or worse!

The most offensive was Verónica involving Valentina in something that reeks of emotional coercion. I hope we are all wrong on that front. Maybe she is hoping for a double ceremony with Alma. The good thing is that Jesús seems to be traveling with a certain wariness.

Almost as bad is Sebastián telling
Susana that he owes EVERYTHING to Rogelio. Does that include his firstborn/second born or whatever Alma is? Makes Rogelio into Rumplestilskin if you ask me.

Rogelio is more and more morally revolting each time we see him. At least he can treat one being well: Sansón.

As usual I loved Chatita telling the TRUTH and giving the best advice. Too bad she is not there to stop the wedding ceremony altogether.

It looks like it is wedding time. Will Delia also be attending?

So many possibilities! I can't wait!

Jarifa


 

Judy:

Er,in my partaying days I used to use it to cover my bloodshot eyes. I wouldn't say my eyes ever glowed in dark, but the whites sure got white pretty quick, lol.
 

Aha..some interesting history there MADS. Don't worry...when you get to my age, you don't regret the things you did, you regret the things you passed up!
 

End scene with Alama and Jesus: shades of The Wedding Singer.
 

Julie, love your recap, I did not see the show last night, but your recap only mention the little princess once, and it seems she had little to say...."wink" "wink".

Jessica spent all her money on a plane ticket....hmmm. Maybe she is in the wrong profession.

And Alma is still dumb as a brick, whats new? ( I am sorry, but she ain't all that, Jesuss would be better off with Xochi. When Xochi gets her makeover, she will be top 5 Diva on here. Well maybe not top 5, but she will leap frog over Alma.)

Have a nice Day...
Anon#1



 

Wow - I didn't even know "Running With Scissors" was a book, but now that I know, I see that Valentina's situation could be much, much worse!

If a villainess got something sensitive stuck in a zipper, I might cringe, but I think I'd still have to make fun.

It'd be different if it were happening to someone nice, or to a real person, or if someone did it TO him; but this is a fictional criminal who incurred a self-inflicted injury while cheating on his fiancee.

So, no. I have no pity. If you're gonna cheat, zip carefully. Or wear button-fly pants. Seriously. Because that's tempting fate, and fate runs with scissors.
 

As for Valentina: I've seen enough TRULY ANNOYING telenovela children/hammy child actors to really appreciate Valentina. The actress doesn't overdo things, and neither does the character.

It's not as though she's sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. This upheaval is affecting her more than it's affecting either Vero or Elias, and unlike them she has NO control over the situation at all. If Eli feels like sleeping somewhere else, he just goes ahead and does it. If Vero feels like taking a bunch of sleeping pills on the maid's day off, that's up to her as well. But Valentina has to ask permission just to be able to sleep in a quiet place.

And now Vero is even USING her to get to Chucho. And her psychologist is sick in the head.

So if Val wants to voice her opinion, or even whine a little (still not as much as some of the adults), I think she's earned the right!

If you ever watched Una Familia Con Suerte, THERE was an annoying kid. Valentina is delightful by comparison.
 

JudyB, "you don't regret the things you did, you regret the things you passed up!" Well said amiga!!

Julie, ITA that the kid in UFCS was over the top annoying. I kept wanting them to dump him into that well that was in the yard. b
 

Thank you, Julie! Agree on the need for anti-quease drugs. Good thing every person in that airport line was a hopeless romantic!

This latest misunderstanding could have been avoided if Chucho had just knocked on the door before walking into Alma's room.

Alma is so frustrating. It's time she had some character development. She will defend everyone but herself! She lets Rogue strongarm her into an engagement and wedding (she may have forgotten that she never said yes when he proposed, but I haven't), she lets all sorts of people she can't stand invite themselves to her wedding, she lets Pati get away with everything without even questioning what she's up to. Basta!

I'm a little sad for Alma that her wedding guests include so many people she doesn't like and the people she does actually like, or who love and respect her, such as Chatita, Panfilo, Mari, and Xochi, aren't there. At least we know this isn't her real happily-ever-after wedding. And that's another thing. She let Rogue decide to have the wedding in Acapulco, obviously trying to ensure that only rich people he approved of would be able to attend, and not Alma's collection of less glam friends and employees.

I loved the part with Rogue and Sanson in the spa.

That kid in UFCS was the WORST. Even worse than Guillo on AV. I never understood what Mely Amors saw in him. Valentina is a delightful child in comparison.
 

Julie I remember the kid from UFCS, and how most on this blog wanted to throw the kid down the well.... I don't want that for Valetina, and I understand she is having a tough time dealing with her about to be, if not already broken home. In the real world, children under a certain age are awarded custody by the courts, and have no say in where, or which parents gains custody. (Even though it is usually the mother in most cases, unless the mother is unstable like Vero.)

My problem with Val is she is ploting the course for her Dad, and pulling the strings on her Step-Dad. When she grabed the phone from Jesuss, and told Alma her dad is in love with her, thats over the top. And when she
"ratted" out popa Jesuss to Popa Elias, that her mom and Jesuss had kissed....well again, grown folks business. She needs to sit down, do her home work, and let the adults work things out.

But lets keep in mind....this is TN TV.
 

Lee: Seems to me that Vale's doing typical kid stuff. Plus, I say, after all the manipulating that's been going around concerning her--have at it, Princessa.
 

I liked the little girl who played Mariano's daughter in AB. Can't believe it's only been a few months gone and I can't remember her name. Also, Chucho (I think) in STuD. And even Chucho's sister was pretty good in the few scenes she was in and considering how young she was.
 

It was Ana (AB) and Chuy (STuD). I was close on the STuD one, which makes me a little worried about my short term memory.
 

I liked Mayita, the little girl in Cuidado Con el Angel.
 

Just got to pitch in defense of Vale's delightful antics. I loved it when she told on her daddy to Alma. It reminded me of school girl gossip and childish impulses.

what irks me is Vero's manipulating her to guilt Chucho into making the family that they "should have been". UGH.
 

fishknits, I totally agree about Vero's irksome manipulations, especially when it was Vero who never saw fit to tell Jesus that he WAS a daddy.
 

Finally Chatita tells Alma what's what! And finally, Chucho almost grows a pair!!! Ugh! I was so frustrated when he just walked away! ARRRGGG! How long can they drag this out!?!?
 

Xochitl top 5 diva? Ha! Highly unlikely, she looks like skeletor?! I can't see her competing w/ the likes of Discua, Jessiquita, evn Marta & all their curves, she's a stick figure makeover or not! IJS! I guess diff strokes for diff folks?
 

Plus my daughter saw her in another novela & she was still ugly 0_o
 

Alma is irritating AF tho!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder