Saturday, October 12, 2013

Porque el Amor Manda #154: Two Time Warps & a Baby

Bebe Garcia - 7

Pato visits Alma in her bedroom and tells her the score: two up and two down for Rogelio, outcome uncertain. Alma observes that she obviously never stopped loving him and wishes her all the best. He really does seem to be changing -- he even volunteered to babysit Valentina during the custody hearing! They share a giggle over Paty's "pichon paternal."

Rico Not-So-Suave continues to act like a total tick in the restaurant. He doesn't understand why Maricela is so put off: wasn't she always crazy about money? She reminds him that she's changed: none of that matters anymore; what's important is being together. Oh yeah? Is that why you were always standing me up for that pretty-boy Elias Franco? Well, now I'm as good as him! (Guess again, twerp.)

Chucho's useless lawyer brings some papers to Chatita's for him to sign and tells him the custody suit could take several more months. Chatita remarks that maybe by then she'll remember who Veronica is, but Jesus tells her she's much better off not remembering. Meanwhile, Cinthia visits Vero for the same reason and tells her she might have a hard time winning, since there's an accusation of child abuse. Neurotica denies everything.

Marta finally visits the manicomio and tells Marcia -- surprise! -- that they won't be changing back. Turns out wreaking havoc is way more fun than lying around in bed all day coked to the gills! Who knew? Marcia earnestly confides that she'll have to tell the doctors the truth, then. (Like that's gonna work. This girl really HAS been living in the jungle.) Marta starts upending furniture and screaming for help, then tells the doc that her sister is hallucinating that she's not herself. Marcia gets a big ol' sedative and Marta gets a free pass.

Roger and Paty are on their way out for pizza, which she loves with the same enthusiasm she has for practically everything, when they are waylaid by some scary muggers. And purse and watch are not enough -- they want the girl! Rog steps in front of her, squeezes his eyes shut, and says, "You'll have to -- whimper! -- kill me first!" They really seem like they mean to, but just then police sirens are heard approaching and they run away. Pato is muy, pero muy, impactado. Kisses and te amos! Yay! The contest is over, and they both win.

Bebe Garcia - 5

Alma's off bed-rest and it's sonogram time! She doesn't want to know the sex, but since we know from the previews that the baby will be born later this evening, there's not much suspense. She giggles that the fetus looks exactly like its Daddy, which it kind of does, with its little face all scrunched up in Expression #6.

Alma celebrates by going in to work wearing Pregnant Barbie's baby-doll peignoir. All the secres witter away about the miracle of motherhood, blah blah blah, and Xochi says she and Fernando are ON it now that she's "discovered her maternal instinct." Que que what? Was it between the couch cushions the whole time?

Bebe Garcia - 0

All of that tummy-rubbing apparently worked -- Alma gives Chucho the nod that it's baby time, and he predictably runs around acting like an idiot, which hasn't been funny since "Bewitched," but juarever. He finally finds the enormous hospital suitcase -- what does she have in there, a wetsuit? -- and off they go.

Back at Avon, Paty & Roger are canoodling in his office. She gives a little lip service to the fact that they're on the clock, but she seems to have relaxed into the prevailing "work" ethic. Roger bemoans the seven months of abstinence, but Paty says he knows the rules -- no knockin' boots until the pregnant psycho ex is out of the house. Seems fair to me, but I'm kind of old-fashioned. (Speaking of which, all of a sudden everyone is calling Alma "senora," which I guess is a euphemism for "really rich pregnant unmarried lady," because I don't think we've missed a wedding. Harrumph.)

Now that several months have passed, Chatita says she remembers everything except how she had her accident and why it is she's supposed to be in love with old cricket-face. Could he remind her, perhaps? (Must try this at home: "What was it that made me fall in love with you? Was it that you...made a really good martini?") Panfi swoops in for the snog, but suddenly it's Jesus on the phone, and they're off to the hospital. Saved by the generic ringtone!

Sebas comes to Avon to visit Dona Su, followed by some random bombshell asking after Ricardo. Just as I'm getting ready to fire off another memo saying READ MY LIPS: NO NEW CHARACTERS, Aida recognizes trashy Vicky from Orion. Apparently she picked up Rico in an antro, and you know how she looooooves the ducats. Marisela rolls up her sleeves and confronts the two of them, backed up by Xochi in auto-defensa mode. They trade insults and Vicky flounces off.

Mari finally lands a telenovela-quality slap on Ricardo, in slo-mo no less! (I was hoping for another one but ended up having to rewind and watch that one a couple more times.) Ricardo is stupidly stunned. What was that for? How about all the presents I bought you, like that nice watch? Mari smashes the watch on the ground. For six months I've put up with this idiocy, because I love you! But you're insufferable! Rico snarls that there's a mountain of women who would go out with him -- he doesn't need her. Mari cries. Xochi tells Rico he really is an ass.

Sebas gets a call at Susana's desk telling him Alma's in labor. Everybody's really excited and bizarrely surprised, considering they've had nine months to think about it. Roger has a tiny smile at the edge of his mouth.

Can I skip the actual childbirth part? Pretty please? Let's just say that Alma has really nice teeth. Not a single crown!

It's a girl! The End.

Avances: Vero smacks Vale and stomps on her little phone, while Marta hangs creepily around Baby Garcia's neonate unit. (Sorry, girls -- I'd MUCH rather cover kidnapping than umbilical cords, but none of us gets to choose, do we?)


Labels:


Comments:
Blue:

Thanks so much for this most marvelous recap. So with you about that umbilical cord, yuck! They show that but not some koochy coo with Alma and Chucho for shame!

I loved that slap of Mari's that she gave not Rico Suave and also the watch smash! Yay. He is unbearable. I can't stand him anymore, and I'm surprised he still has friends. I don't think he'll have them long either.

So Trashy Vicky is sighted again. I can't stand her either. She'll probably help him spend all his ducats.

I once saw an old epi of "I Love Lucy" where Ricky Ricardo was running around just as Chucho did looking for Lucy's suitcase to take to the hospital and running around like he was a chicken with his head cut off. Too funny.

I am really liking Pato and Rog they are very funny and I like the interaction with Val and Rog too.

I really feel bad for Marcia. I hope there is some way she can prove she isn't Marta. If only they hadn't drugged her up so much.

I don't like the previews at all. I hope Val is able to live with Alma and Chucho soon. This poor girl has been through enough. And Marta hanging out with the babies, so not liking that either.
 

Makeup-- perfect. Hair perfect. That's the most pulled together birthing mother I ever saw. The lovely Alma never even streaked the mascara on those perfect lashes. Ok. Ok. I'm just glad the tummy rubbing is over.

Thanks so much Blue Lass. Loved the recap. "Pregnant Barbie's baby-doll peignoir." LOL

I was sure that the mugging on the way to pizza was a setup that Rogelio arranged so he could play the hero. But no apparently Rogelio really was a hero. Ding. Ding. Ding. Comtest over. Rogelio wins the prize.

Very funny comment about Xochi discovering her maternal instinct. "Que que what? Was it between the couch cushions the whole time? " You crack me up Blue Lass.

Güera


 

Thanks, Chica Azul. So much funny. Pregnant Barbie, the baby's Expression #6, Xochi's maternal instinct in the couch cushions. And I'm with you; do we really need to do childbirth or umbilical cord scenes. Answer: no we do not. Yawn. Blah. Just skip to the cute baby.

Wasn't really amused by Chucho's stupid friqueando when Alma said it was baby time, but I did like the look she gave him, like "Really? This old cliché?" That part was funny.

Can we send Rico NotSuave to NY and get Elias back? Mari should have told him that Elias is still WAY better than him, and the gap is widening all the time.
 

Ok. Since we didn't see what actually happened in all those months, now they're going to tell us, cr*p!

Call me insidious but I think I saw Alma's belly a lot bigger with the fucsia barbie dress, than when she was talking to Martha. Then when she was about to give birth, I saw something pointy sticking out, like the cushion was actually one from the couch, a square one!!

And colorín colorado, at the end, AVON will be just a huge family with all related. Jesús and Alma, Chatita mother of Jesús and Pánfilo and Marisela, Doña Su with Sebastián, Alma's father, Valentina half sister of Rogelio's juárever with Nerurónica, even Xóchitl is related to them via Fernando! Who else? Oh, Cárdenas with Jesús via Quico and Valentina, juar, juar!!
 

A telenovela isn't over until the cast has made their family trees into a wreath.
 

whew! I've been catching up after a couple weeks away. binging on recorded episodes and all the recaps and comments. I loved Marisela facing and slapping Richie Ricardo.

Blue Lass thanks for your always clever and pointed comments, including " Let's just say that Alma has really nice teeth. Not a single crown!"
 

Perfect recap Blue! I'm with you, rewinding the birth scene conjures Alma/Blanca screaming and once is enough there. Baby is adorable, but knowing these writers and their :love" of little children I'm guessing we have some traumatic horrid story line soon for this little bundle.

Speaking of traumatic child, WTH again with Val? I just knew this whole custody thing would drag out just for plot purposes. Just no!!! I'm sick of it.

Pati and Rog always brighten the screen. And for once, I was totally, both feet in Mari's corner giving Slick Back that slap. One good question: If the guy is sooooo rich, WHY IS HE STILL WORKING AT AVON??

Daisynjay
 

Ah Blue, always enjoy your clever use of language and your wise observations.

acting like a "total tick". Love that.

"the contest is over and they both win". Indeed

Must try this at home: "What was it that made me fall in love with you? Was it that you...made a really good martini?") Okay, I double dare you. Try that at home!

Anyway, great recap. Only saw parts of this, unfortunately one of the parts was that gross close-up of the umbilical cord.

Now, as to menfolk acting nuts when loved one is in labor...a friend, second wife of an ob/gyn doctor (his first wife had already given him 4 children)went into a tailspin when she needed to go to the hospital in the middle of the night. Wasn't until he shaved and put on a 3-piece suit! yes, including vest! before they left for the hospital. Got there just in time and baby was not born in waiting room but still.....the "cliché" happens in real life too.
 

Personally, I could have done without the close up of cutting the umbilical cord.

Otherwise the episode was okay. I have to keep reminding myself it is a comedy.

Jarifa
 

Thanks for the recap!

Daisynjay, I thought the same abt Richie Rich. Don't almost all people quit their jobs when they inherit millions? I think he stays just so he can throw it in their faces or he has no imagination on how to live better. Either way looks like he is on his way too losing it all.
 

Good point, Mads -- we see baby parts but no Colunga parts? No fair!

Guera, I thought the same thing about the thugs -- just the kind of thing the old Rogelio would fake. But he did look really scared.

Julia, "making their family trees into a wreath" describes it perfectly!

Daisy, ITA on "Slick Back" -- is that supposed to be some kind of class marker? Really ugly hair?
 

Thanks for reading, everyone. I do enjoy recapping, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to the end of this one. :T
 

Blue Lass, thank you for the snappy and hilarious recap. I truly laughed out loud at: "he predictably runs around acting like an idiot, which hasn't been funny since "Bewitched,", and...

"Must try this at home: "What was it that made me fall in love with you? Was it that you...made a really good martini?"

I might replace martini with dark and stormy, then again I might not!
 

Slick Back refers to his new hair do. I'm aging myself here, but back in high school in the 70's in my area south of Chicago, when some guy used gel and then combed back the hair like Richie started wearing, we called it Slick Back. Reminded me of that ( and it usually wasn't mean as a compliment--was because they looked dumb with it that way though they thought they were cool.)

Daisynjay
 

In México ''Relamido'' (licked) was the nice way to put it and ''Lamido por una vaca'' (licked by a cow) the mean.
Did a cow licked you this morning?

It was probably cool in the 40s and/or it didn't suit everybody, the case is that some people look just awful with it. De la moda lo que te acomoda (take from fashion juárever suits you).
 

Sylvia, what's dark & stormy?
 

Carlos or Sylvia are the only ones who can explain it to you, but it always sounds delicious!

Pablo/ thanks for that dicho. I treasure these.
 

Ginger beer (it's non-alcoholic and not ginger ale) and dark rum, Gosling's Black Seal rum specifically, served over ice.
 

Pablo, you add so much to my enjoyment and my Spanish! Getting ready for kindergarten my son used to slick his hair back like that, with water, emulating Pat Riley. It always dried out by the time he got to school, so I was the only one to see him look ''Lamido por una vaca''.

Blue Lass, another nice touch was your description of Alma in "Pregnant Barbie's baby-doll peignoir".

I don't enjoy the rum, but I sure do love a good ginger beer.

 

Today's word is: reciprocal.

I had never seen the word ''peignoir'' befoir, until noir, LOL!

We all learn something new everyday!
Thanks
 

Pablo, it's a little outfit you wear to brush your hair. Really!

Is ginger beer like birch beer? It sounds good.
 

Do women need ANOTHER OUTFIT just to brush their hair? They can not brush it with juárever they have on before going to bed? It's complicated!

Is that just like a barber cap to keep the hair that falls?
 

Ginger Beer is like Birch Beer and real honest-to-goodness Root Beer in that it has a distinctive flavor, much more complex that a soft drink like Ginger Ale. It is definitely more gingery and usually gives the back of the throat a little tingle or "burn" like fresh ginger does. But to me it does not have the herbal notes that Birch and Root Beers have. To me, Ginger Beer tastes gingery, spicy, and a little citrusy.

 

I like Bundeberg ginger ale. It has actual chunks of real ginger in it.

Pablo, you don't have specific teeth-brushing outfits? No breakfast ensembles? Jeez, do you even change into your mail-fetching outfit? (I don't see the point of a peignoir, either.)

I like that "lamido por una vaca" phrase. I know someone I can use that on, too! Hmm, now I just need to run into him. May require stalking since he moved to another neighborhood.
 

MMmmmm, Bundeberg is great ginger beer! I usually get Reed's because it's easier to find, but I would prefer Bundeberg. One year I made my own; it's pretty easy and a fun project.
 

Thanks Blue. Great recap. So funny.

Maybe Alma and Jesus tied the knot during those months we didn’t see. Maybe the big end of TN wedding will be Pato’s and Rog’s.

Two things about Ricardo: How did he meet Vicki? And, I’m surprised he didn’t blow through that money by now.

Daisy: “If the guy is sooooo rich, WHY IS HE STILL WORKING AT AVON??”—exactly. Wondered the same thing myself.

Carvivlie: “I think he stays just so he can throw it in their faces or he has no imagination on how to live better.”—I vote for rubbing it in their faces. The tool.

I did like how Alma kept telling Jesus to shut up while she was having her contractions.

Didn’t even think about the mugging being a set-up. Good point. I just thought they did that to speed up the Pato/Rog reconciliation.

Re: the previews. Looks like Marta is upset Alma had a little girl. It’s baby snatching time. Of course, the previews on Thursday made it seem like Marta was giving an injection to Alma, which was causing her distress so Marta called for help (turned out to be totally different scenario—as we now know). Where does creative editing of previews end and blatantly lying begin? To be fair, I don’t know what the voice over guy was saying. He could have been making it clearer.

Nanette
 

Sorry I am late, I was changing into my ''email reading outfit''.

Cap'n, if you could please share that ''experience''. I could chip in with the recipe for tepache (made with pineapple rind and piloncillo).

I know it's out of topic, but I am sure in one of those PEAM parties they were drinking it...
 

Love to, it was a good excuse to transcribe from my friend's handwritten (and very stained) recipe into a Google doc. Recipe came from my friend Susan from England. She said her family has been making it for years. I started with the exact recipe and then tweaked the amounts of ginger and sugar, more ginger and less sugar. You can also add fresh ginger to give it a kick.

Ginger Beer
1 Tablespoon dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 pint tepid water

Place all ingredients in a jar, stir, cover, leave at room temperature.

Each day for 7 days add 1 tsp. ginger and 1 tsp. sugar. Stir, cover, and leave at room temperature.

Leave for one extra day to settle.

Pour off clear liquid and add 4-5 pints cool water and 1/2 to 1 pound sugar.

Pour into strong bottles with cork or screw cap.

Leave in cool, dark place a minimum of one week.

Drink and Enjoy.
 

I am laughing at your "email reading outfit"!
 

P.S. I usually used organic cane sugar.

Also, the recipe is very basic so you can add other things to suit your taste such as lemon peel or juice, or spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, whatever.
 

I like the "one pound of sugar" part. I think you could add almost anything after that.
 

Nanette, Ricardo said he met Vicki in a nightclub. But why he's making dates with trashy women right in front of his novia is not clear. I'm surprised she's put up with him for this long.
 

So who would be the worse novio right now? Ricardo or Melquiades?
 

LOL!
After one pound of sugar, you can add practically anything!!

OK.
This is getting very time consuming, because to go watch tv in my room, I had to chamge again... but finally I am back. I am glad none of this outfits resembles the bullfighters'.
If that was the case, I'd have to quit my job...

Thanks. This is my recipe.

Next time you peel a pineapple, never mind how much meat you leave in the rind because you will use that along with the core to make ''tepache''.

Place all the rind with one gallon water in a glass container (if you have a vitrolero, better) and cover it with a rag fastened with a rubberband.
After one week, discard the rind and add two piloncillo cones. Leave another week and then strain it.
I store in a plastic bottle from juice or punch in the refrigerator. You can serve it with ice cubes or not. It is good...
 

I perceive that everyone is starting to get a little bit of ultimas semanas hysteria...the laughing kind, that is...cute outfits and drinking can only help.
 

You will never know how happy I am with only five more episodes to recap!! After that, I will stop taking anxiolytic and antipsychotic pills and return to my ''normal' life...
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder