Monday, January 06, 2014

Qué Pobres, Monday 1/6/14 (#1): God Save the Queen

Nighttime in Mexico City. Lupita weeps in the street and prays before entering a building where there's a wrestling match. It turns out the star attraction, Don Chuy, aka the Son of Sumatra, is her dad. He's excited to see her; she's never come to watch him fight before. But she's not really here to watch him tonight, either. He can tell she's been crying.

"What's the matter?" he asks. "I'm pregnant," Lupita replies. The Son of Sumatra is so stunned that his opponent quickly defeats him.

Later, the luchador tells Lupita that he hasn't felt such pain since Mama died. He thinks someone's done something terrible to Lupita; she says no, she's not blameless. It's partly her fault she's pregnant. She let herself be deceived. She won't tell Dad who the father is. All she will say is that he's an arrogant man whose name isn't worth mentioning. (HINT: Look out for an arrogant man who's hung up on names. Good luck with that.)

Some years later, in London (England)...

At a swanky restaurant, Miguel Ángel Ruizpalacios dines with his girfriend Minerva. In English, he scolds the waiter for putting his water glass on the wrong side of the plate.

"I need to discuss something VERY important with you," Miguel Ángel begins. Minerva panics: "I know where this is going! I never expected this of you!" But she is interrupted by a flash mob doing a song-and-dance rendition of Queen's "Somebody to Love." Minerva is pleased, but Miguel looks surprised and confused. It turns out this whole scene is for another couple getting engaged. Miguel thinks the proposal was very silly and undignified for such a classy restaurant; Minerva is crushed that it wasn't for her, and that Miguel doesn't want to discuss marriage with her.

Miguel wants Minerva to have all the things she deserves in life. She thinks he's a real prize; after all, he's a Ruizpalacios. But what's in a name, he muses aloud. He made his fortune all by himself, with no help from his family or the Ruizpalacios name.

Back in Mexico, Miguel's mom is planning a fashion show to benefit indigent dogs and she isn't happy with the cheap-looking drinking glasses or with the lame wording on the sign. She suggests a more grandiose title for her event. She calls Miguel and tells him the lawyers are giving her a big headache, and he's needed at home for the reading of Grandfather's will. The next plane will get him there right around when her party begins.

"So, what were you going to tell me?" Minerva asks Miguel. "I was going to ask you to move in with me because our relationship is much deeper than just a flimsy piece of paper. But if you really want to get married, then let's get married!" Minerva accepts, loudly and enthusiastically. "God save the Queen!" she shouts in English. This seems not to be the reaction Miguel was expecting.

The Son of Sumatra, aka Don Chuy, has retired from wrestling and has been running a gym with his family. The place isn't doing well. It seems they're losing all of their business to a competitor. Tonight at the gym they'll have a big party... I missed whether it's a ONLY a birthday party for Lupita's son Emiliano, or if it's also a rent party as well.

Opening credits: I don't care for the song, but it looks like there will be food pr0n, so there's something to look forward to!

At a nursing home or hospital, Mati Ruizpalacios (Miguel's grandma) mistakes Alejo for his cousin, Miguel Ángel. Alejo patiently corrects her. She gushes about how swell he is, and says he's the best of the family name. Alejo beams... but then she calls him Miguel Ángel again. She's very confused and tells Alejo that Grandpa is at the club (sure, the Six-Feet-Under Club!). The doctor tells Alejo that Grandma has some good days and some bad days, but she'll probably never get any better.

Evening comes. Both Miguel's mom's charity event and Emiliano's birthday party are underway.

Miguel's mom is wearing a full-length fur coat. She is snotty to a waiter (guess it runs in the family). Miguel Ángel arrives and tells her that he's engaged; Minerva went home to rest, but she'll come along later. Mom says something about putting all the family properties in his name, but I missed it.

Leonardo, Miguel's airheaded brother, makes a vapid announcement to kick off the party. Mom thinks he's brilliant. She says she has four children, and here comes her favorite... a chihuahua.

The band plays. I used to know what this song was called. Leonardo is waving his left arm around as if to conduct the band. With his right hand, or actually just one finger of his right hand, he plays one note at a time on the piano. Mom is impressed. This is the same woman who threw a fit over cheap-looking drinking glasses... well, I suppose life is easier if you can pretend that your son isn't an idiot.

Not far away, Minerva's mom is excited about the engagement. She tells Minerva that with the Ruizpalacios money, all their worries will be over. She also says something about Minerva getting pregnant (I missed it). Alejo ambles by and tries to flirt with Minerva. Mom whisks her daughter away.

Miguel's mom greets all the distinguished guests at her event, including a bishop. She gives a speech about "man's best friend" and saving the indigent doggies. Leonardo keeps interrupting with superfluous remarks. Finally the fashion show commences. Yawn.

Miguel Ángel runs into Alejo. "Brace yourself for bad news," Alejo warns. "I don't think Granny even remembers you. When you left, it broke her heart in two." Miguel assures Alejo that he isn't planning to hang around. He'll go back to England as soon as possible. He doesn't even care about the will. "I have my own life. I don't need the Ruizpalacios."

Alejo retorts: "You don't know how much work it is for me to keep up the family's good name and reputation." Miguel counters: "You don't know how hard it is to make a name for YOURSELF in a distant country."

The benefit is almost over. Mom is tearfully thanking the crowd for supporting the defenseless animals when some unruly protesters show up. They are naked except for flesh-colored shorts and sandwich board signs. "You're a serial killer of animals!" they accuse. Oh, did I mention? Yes, I did mention, but I'll say it again: Mom is wearing a FULL LENGTH FUR COAT. Everyone ends up in the swimming pool.

Miguel Ángel tries to defuse the uproar by giving a speech of his own, but he too is interrupted by the protesters: one of them is Frida, his sister. Another protester is her boyfriend. Frida and Miguel reunite happily as the party finally breaks up.

At the Son-of-Sumatra Gym, the party is just getting started. The family confers. They're still worried about the gym. Lupita asks her father to keep his voice down; she doesn't want Emiliano to overhear about their problems.

Later, when the party is in full swing, Lupita is up to her ears in the kitchen, and people are clamoring for more of everything. Lupita wonders if this is a hint as to how they can save the family business.

Miguel's mom is upset about the big scene at her benefit. Leonardo has some very lame suggestions, such as having an even bigger party, or punishing Frida by cutting off her funds. Mom thinks he's a real genius to come up with this idea, or is she just humoring him? Because next she suggests sending Frida away to a school for girls in Switzerland. Then she says she has no other choice; there's only one thing to do: "Bring me my gun," she orders. Leonardo is worried. Oh, here it is - a blow-dryer. Because she's still wet from the pool. Sigh.

Frida confides to Miguel Ángel that she doesn't like Minerva. She's very shallow and materialistic. Frida wants to take off with her boyfriend and his band; she asks Miguel for some money, and he gives it to her.

Minerva and her mom arrive. Mom is a BIG fan of Miguel. She can't wait to join the new family. She should get contact lenses with dollar signs in them; then she wouldn't have to be so subtle.

Back at the gym, there's a cake with a luchador figure on it. Lupe tells Emiliano to make a wish. "It's a secret! I can't tell you!" he protests, but at last he reveals his wish: "I'd like to meet my father."

Next time:
The reading of the will.

Labels:


Comments:
Julie- Looking forward to reading your take on this first episode tomorrow. Lots of familiar faces, and some new ones too.

I also have to comment on the return of a clothing item. The Pear Robe seems to have permanently disappeared, but the flower robe has now made its third appearance!
 

Vivi in DC, I LOVE how you notice all of these little details. :))

Looking forward to your recap, Julie. :))

Fatima (who is in over her head in TNs. I've gotta stop!!)
 

Sharp eyes, Vivi. I don't think I've seen this robe before; it's hard to miss. Who is buying the robes for Televisa, and why don't they like solid colors??

I really like what I've seen of this show so far. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

The Ruizpalacios family is chock-full of arrogant men. I kinda doubt Miguel is Emiliano's father, and for both DNA and compassionate reasons I wouldn't wish Leonardo or Alejo on him either. Does this mean there are more arrogant men in the pipeline?

And does anyone remember seeing a TV show, probably a sitcom and most likely not recent, where someone inherits a single sausage - all that's left of his benefactor's fortune? I'm sure I've seen this, but Google is no help to me tonight.
 

Julie, thanks for getting us off on such an excellent start with your great recap!

I liked:

Ingrid Martz. I was sick of Doris in CI but loved her wailing and comedic acting here and am looking forward to seeing more of her.

Miguel Angel's correction of the waiter based on "experience" and his tortured marriage proposal. What an odd duck!

The sprinkling of Italian to further distinguish the Ruiz Palacios.

Don Chuy being involved in the world of Mexican wrestling. What a colorful site for the beginning scenes!

The chihuahua in the tux.

All in all very funny and satisfying.

Jarifa
 

Thank you for the recap, Julie.

For the sake of argument, put me on the other side - I'll vote that MiguelAngel IS Emiliano's father. Obviously he and Lupita will end up together, and Emiliano's one wish is to meet his daddy. (Of course, if you had voted for MA to be the dad, I could've cooked up a contrary argument to that too.)

Someone on the last blogpost thought this was going to start earlier. It WAS supposed to start in early December. Camil himself said so. Nice to know, the viewers aren't the only ones Uni keeps in the dark.

Why on earth would MA propose to Minerva when even he knows she makes him cringe?
* It's not money. She has none, and he's determined to be a self-made man, despite his family's fortune.
* It's not to make his mother happy. He has pretty much distanced himself from his family, emotionally as well as geographically.
* Even if he needs a good corporate wife, she's a loser there as well - she's vapid and has a certain fingernails-on-the-chalkboard quality about her.

I spotted two art-mirrors-life items regarding Camil:
1. The importance he puts on the fact that he made himself successful; it wasn't his family's wealth or name.
2. "You don't know how hard it is to make a name for yourself in a distant country." Which is what he's finding as he tries to break into the US market.


 

Wow, what a quick recap! I haven't finished watching the episode yet, but the piece that Leonardo was allegedly playing was Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody 2. The joke being, I think, is that it was written for piano (and Liszt is notoriously difficult and complex to play), and Leo was playing one note with one finger.

Hi Paula!!!!
 

Great recap! Thanks for all the detail.

I suspect I will always be reading the recaps before viewing. I hope it helps my comprehension.
 

Great job starting us off, Julie.

I don't get why MA would want to marry Minerva either. He seemed put off by the idea. But he told his sister it was the right thing to do, since he and Min have known each other ten years and have been novios for five years. I don't think he's Lupita's baby-daddy. He's not a love them and leave them kind of guy. Now, his cousin on the other hand...

I had to laugh at the absurdity of having a fur fashion show to raise money to help animals.
 

Thanks for the recap, Julie!!
love your little humor bits here and there like...
All she will say is that he's an arrogant man whose name isn't worth mentioning. (HINT: Look out for an arrogant man who's hung up on names. Good luck with that.)
[well, they kind of gave us a hint with 'who' was on camera right after that... )
Grandpa is at the club (sure, the Six-Feet-Under Club!).
"God save the Queen!" she shouts in English. This seems not to be the reaction Miguel was expecting.
[ITA]
Evening comes. Both Miguel's mom's charity event and Emiliano's birthday party are underway.
[I like these 'parallel' comparisons. Remember the christening scenes at the beginning of El Manantial?]
Leonardo, Miguel's airheaded brother, makes a vapid announcement to kick off the party.
[yeah he was elevating his talent as a master and then we watch him play with one finger one note at a time... my husband would be insulted or floored laughing]
Mom says something about putting all the family properties in his name, but I missed it.
[I think she is really interested on what the grandpa will will say because they are running out of moolah and everything was left in MA's name... that is what she said anyway]
well, I suppose life is easier if you can pretend that your son isn't an idiot.[ROFLOL!!]
btw, when Miguel's mom refers to the 'indigentes' she seems to have some degrading tone on it, even though her 'party/fashion show' was 'for them' and when she asks for the gun(blow dryer) she is trying to dry her full fur coat dry since she fell in the pool with it on.
so fitting that her own daughter (who seems to be the one that gets along with MA the best) is working for the complete opposite cause.





 

I think I know why MA proposed to Minerva. Despite his arrogance, he's insecure. And/or he is trying to further distance himself from his family.

Thanks for the note on that song, Sylvia. I think Liszt was also famous for composing pieces that emphasize the left hand, yes? (Maybe that wasn't one of them.) And Leonardo was playing with his right. What a genius!

I think I know why MA proposed to Minerva. Despite his arrogance, he's insecure. And/or he is trying to further distance himself from his family. Okay... maybe I don't know why. I'm not even sure that he intended to propose.

So far, my impression of the Ruizpalacios family is that they're a bunch of idiots, except maybe Alejo who's obviously a bad guy. I don't like when the good guys are dumb... but we haven't seen as much of Lupita's family yet. Maybe that's where all the brains are. If they can get out of their spin cycle of economic doom, they might have time to figure out some things.

Thanks for the note on that song, Sylvia. I think Liszt was also famous for composing pieces that emphasize the left hand, yes? (Maybe that wasn't one of them.) And Leonardo was playing with his right. What a genius!
 

Love Jaime Camil and don't mean to throw cold water on everybody but there's no spark -- he seems tired and nothing was remotely funny. Hope this gets better.
 

Thanks for clarifying about the property being in MA's name, Marta. In my earlier recapping days, I used to go back and re-check every little detail. It took hours. I can't do that with a show that starts at 10 pm!!
 

Jarifa, I missed that the chihuahua was in a tux!! lol!! now i have something to look for when i rewatch today.
Paula, yes there are two things that I am intrigued about MA. first, yours...
Why on earth would MA propose to Minerva when even he knows she makes him cringe?
and second, why did he feel the need to go to a totally foreign country and start from scratch? just for his own pride? or was he running from something or someone?
thanks for pointing to the parallels with Jaime C's life. very true.
ITA about Minerva.
- she's vapid and has a certain fingernails-on-the-chalkboard quality about her.
Exactly. her complete 'you said it!! i heard it!! you proposed!! God save the queen!!', her shouting she wants for them to go back to MC immediately so she can have the best/throw out the window engagement party!! ( she certainly does not disguise who she really is, so why has he been with her for so long and why did he propose? good questions) and her mother telling her you gotta get married right away, we are running out of funds...
Vivi, ITA on
...Now, his cousin on the other hand...
and ITA 1000% about:
I had to laugh at the absurdity of having a fur fashion show to raise money to help animals. and then MA's mom drying the fur coat with the 'gun'.

Now my comments.
I was not thrilled how it started as far as speed, I agree it was colorful.
My theory is the gym was already very old when the novela started and somehow Lupita's dad was the owner/mgr. so it is now run down because of lack of funds to upgrade the equipment so their customers are leaving. And that is why they are talking about closing it down.
I agree they are hiting that Lupita's cooking will keep the family afloat somehow.

 

sorry i meant 'they are hinting that Lupita will keep the family afloat'.
I tend to agree that the beginning other than the colorful scene was a bit slow especially Jaime does look tired, maybe he is bored with Minerva event hough he feels 'duty' to marry her after she has been there for him so long. But maybe it will be another contrast they are preparing us for when he meets Lupita. We'll see. I remember i felt the same way in the first episodes of Refugio with the rich girlfriend and Marichu (Zuria's) character.
The other thing that intrigues me is if Alejo is jealous of MA. Did you all see how devastated he looked when grandma was confusing him for MA? and how he greeted MA? as if he had a long time grudge on him? we will see.
And yes, this is a very dysfunctional family the RuizPalacios. Isn't it...
Paula H, ready to have fun with a thorough psych evaluation?
sorry, i am at work, will have to come back tonight from home...
 

and yes, I had to giggle a little about the little bits of 'italian' thrown here and there.
 

Thanks martaivett for not taking that comment the wrong way. . .I have trouble moving on from Jaime in PESA. It's a new novella, a new day, the first show.

 

I just finished watching the episode and I think the Da Vinci the Chihuahua stole the show. :-)

I have never seen Zuria Vega in anything and I really liked her from the get go. She seems to fill the screen and I am very charmed by her. I'm looking forward to watching this even if I will end up behind (I don't know how I'm going to manage MPV, PSMA, Santa, Impostora *and* this one...oh well, at least football season is over and I'll have Saturdays free and and Sundays will be free soon, too.)

I thought Jaime Camil was funny...but again, I haven't seen him in anything.

Thanks again, Julie!
 

I don't think MA actually intended to propose. I think the only planned offer was for her to move in with him, and he was bluffing when he said "if a piece of paper really means so much to you then we can get married." But I don't know if that's what was intended. I think it's deliberately meant to be unclear for now.

I am definitely getting the impression that Alejo has a grudge against Miguel. Perhaps it's mutual. And from what we've read in the synopsis, we know that grudge can only get worse.

I'm not worried about Camil's performance yet. He doesn't need to have great chemistry with any of the people we've seen him with so far (except his mother, but their scene last night was too short to judge). We need him to click with the other family - that's what will be interesting.
 

I enjoyed the first episode and the excellent recap as well as all of your comments. I can clear up the reason why the gym is not doing well. One of the characters...don't know her name but she was the one whose "aguitas" were a big hit at Don Chuy's gym...mentioned that the construction three blocks away they were all wondering about was a brand new gym, with state-of-the art equipment, and that today was opening day for the new gym.
 

Sara, on a scale of 1 to 10, Camil was only at about a 4 last night. Just wait!
 

OK, Julie. I'm looking forward to it. His little "shoo shoo" to the waiter cracked me up.

I'm seeing lots of possibility with MA and the Machacas (which I keep wanting to call the Manchegos.) MA said he did a stint as a waiter...they are going to open a restaurant....

This should be fun!
 

Carmelita, is the name of the friend of the Machachas who sells the aguas frescas. She seems to have a crush on Don Chuy. I was excited to see her, since she played Zuria's (Luciana's) adopted mom in Refugio. I also loved her in PVAA.
 

I just finished watching the episode. Thanks again Julie for your terrific recap.

Y'all have likely discussed this, but I wonder why this comedy is on at 10:00 p.m.?

I was amused when Friday said Minerva was very shallow and materialistic. Frida also seems shallow and materialistic to me. Ah well, she's young and her heart is in the right place; she just needs a bit of poverty to set her right.

I'm sure it's deliberate that los pobres seem to be surrounded by so much color (and great food, yay!) while los ricos are not.
 

I feel so fortunate to find a TN on the first episode, I usually stumble on them when they are well underway. Thank you Julie for the excellent recap, I appreciate the thorough introduction. Spanish is limited.
Delighted to meet up with you again Vivi in DC. I wonder if Carols and the Gringo (from CI) will be joining us?
 

So far, the Ruizpalacios are hilariously oblivious to their own irony. As you all have noted, Mom talks about saving the poor animals while wearing a fur coat. Frida says Minerva is shallow and materialistic, then borrows money to bum around with a band. Leonardo thinks he's smart. MA thinks he doesn't need his family, which is understandable since they appear to be a bunch of nitwits, but I suppose he will soon find out he's wrong.

What's my point? I'm not sure, except that the other family doesn't seem ironic at all, except for the fact that they seem comfortable and happy in spite of their worries of a looming economic crisis.
 

Julie, thanks for your rollicking recap of this first episode. Very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed last night's presentation and from what I saw, I think that this TN is going to be lots of fun for all.

What a treat seeing Doris (CI) pretty much unchanged since we saw her last.

Vivi, I noticed the flower robe right away but knew that you would probably beat me to the punch in pointing it out.

I too find it odd that this is airing late rather than being the first TN of the evening.

Hi Paula, how great to hear from you again.

Carlos
 

Ahoy, Cap'n. Glad you'll be aboard this voyage.

Camil usually starts a little slow. He develops a whole different persona for each role, to the point where you can tell from his posture alone, which character he is. But he tends to start out rather plain-vanilla (or in his case caramel?), until he gets to know his own character and develop that persona for him (or "her" in the case of Eva).
 

Will anyone be recapping tonight? If not, I'll go ahead a create a discussion post so we have somewhere to discuss tonight's cap.
 

Carlos! Howdy, Pard'ner. Glad to see you saddled up for this rodeo.
 

I for one like it being late, but would not mind if they move it to 7 or 8 later on... just committed in 6-9 time slots for about a month or 2 until h.s. basketball season is done around here.
Hi Carlos! glad to see you and Cap'n here too! cheers! Maybe we will start garden tables like we did with other novelas.
I bet Paula H and I will be analyzing MA to a crisp.
 

I bet it doesn't stay at 10:00 forever. It doesn't make any sense. This is probably some kind of game to manipulate ratings by bringing in viewers from Robo, or something like that. Then again, Univision's scheduling strategy has always been mysterious.
 

I'm thinking that Alejo is Emiliano's father. MA has been living London for years which would seem to rule him out.

What I can't figure out is how the two families end up living together. We know the Ruiz bunch is going to lose their money and be tossed onto the street but why would they trot down to the barrio with their junque and move in. There must be a piece we are missing somewhere.

I'm giving this a one week shot and if it doesn't capture my interest more than last night I'm gone. What with La Impostora beginning, Para Siempre already grabbing me, the Olympics to come as well as UA basketball there are only so many hours my DVR can hold.

 

Don't tell me La Impostora is ANOTHER remake of La Usurpadora et al.
 

Julie - Enjoyed the recap. Thanks!

I only saw small bits and pieces of the premiere, but caught a scene between Jaime Camill and Mark Tacker - hilarious.
 

Niecie, just wait until they get warm and into their characters... you ain't seen nothing yet of these two... hope they have as good chemistry as Tacher had with Rene Casados or Jaime C had in LFMB.
 

I am not a fan comedy telenovela or Jamie but I do like Zuria so maybe I will give this a shot. It's not the typical novela.

Ratings wise. They didn't do too bad. 3.373.00

 

Martaviett

No La Impostora is not a remake of LU it it believe it or not and ORIGINAL story according to everything I've read. If for no other reason an original novela should be worth watching.
 

Actually LI isn't an original. I read it's an adaptation of Cerro Alegre. The plot does sound similar to some other stories. Not really a new idea.
 

Marta, as much as I enjoy the analysis, I doubt this one will stand up to scrutiny. The Mexicans just don't put much depth into their scripts like the Colombians do. If it's at least a fun romp, and doesn't get too bogged down, that's good enough for me.

You make a good point - Mark Thacher and Jaime Camil playing off each other - could be great fun.
 

Julie--fabulous opening recap!
Just 2 thoughts 1- MA is the baby daddy, ran away to London to hide (was there something about the first son to have a son getting it all in the will?) 2- Jaime C may have seemed flat because at this point his character is an extremely boring dude. Sorry, 3- I don't think MA was proposing at all, she just took it that was in all the musical excitement for the other couple.

It's so good to hear all of you again!

Sue in Florida
 

Sue - I don't think they've read the will yet, so we only know about that (first grandson) from the synopsis. I think they're reading the will tonight.

There was a similar gimmick in Destilando Amor, I think, with everything going to the first grandson, or something like that. That strikes me as a ridiculous thing to put in one's will, but at least this is a comedy...
 

The stars have aligned and I am finally catching a telenovela as it's starting! Found PESE about 100 episodes in and never caught up with you guys. ESTOY LISTO!!
 

Didn't realize it was starting so soon and missed the first two episodes. Does anyone know where I can catch a rerun of those two?
 

You can catch them on Hulu, which is good quality but has commercials.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder