Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Qué Pobres, Weds 3/19/14 (#52): Up on the Roof

Frida, the sarcastically-dubbed Princess of the Proletariat, "debates" with JT, the self-proclaimed naco, in front of his friends. This "debate" would be best described as inane class-baiting. Sex would probably be more fun, but I guess they're not there yet.

Lupe tells Carmelita about the roof incident (which was, in fact, not a fever-induced hallucination after all, even though I would have put money on it yesterday). Why does Carmelita make that hourglass-shape in the air when she talks about Miguel Angel? That shape is usually associated with women. Whatever. Lupe says MA floats her boat like no one else ever has.

Nepo shows up with a very large bouquet of roses (suspiciously similar to the one Beto was supposed to get rid of last week at the country club) to apologize to Lupe. Lupe is really frustrated with him for acting as though nothing happened. "I know how women are," he says. They're always changing their minds. He's patient. He'll wait. This will all blow over in a few weeks.

Nepo keeps saying, "I don't want to pressure you." I wonder what he thinks "pressure" means?

Nepo also asks how Mike is doing and says he can take tomorrow off to recuperate.

AS and Leo are bummed that they had to leave all their new clothes behind when they fled the hotel, but inspiration strikes: AS will get new things made out of the old curtains from their house. That's so Scarlett O'Hara!

Mini calls MA to yell at him for standing her up at the Chinese restaurant and sending Saul instead. Eventually he manages to explain to Miss Mouth that he was sick. Self-centered Mini thinks it was very nice of him not to expose her to his germs. (Never mind that he was too sick to stand up.)

MORNING. MA asks Lupe for more treatments. He admits to her, as she admitted to Carmelita earlier and I forgot to mention, that he doesn't know where this is going, but there's no hurry. She sits on the bed next to him (yes! In bed already!!) and they hold hands. Lupe says she doesn't want to be hurt again. "I'm not like my cousin Alejo," MA promises.

Nepo is not at work yet. He tells Diego at breakfast that he's still sure that Lupe will marry him. He asks Diego, have you decided about school yet? He says something about not wanting Diego to be a lazy good-for-nothing like Lupe's relatives, Frida and Leo.

Diego perks up. "You saw Leo? He's back?"

Carmelita tells Chuy she needs CK's phone number. Chuy bristles and tells her that if CK disrespects her in any way, to let him know and he'll kick his ass!

AS comes down and asks Chuy if he knows anyone who can sew. She wants new clothes. Now it's Carmelita's turn to bristle as Chuy volunteers her for the job. Carmelita protests; she hasn't done this kind of work in years; she's busy with the restaurant all day and won't have time at night. (And today I think they're preparing for another event - some people from a shop are throwing their boss a birthday party.) But Chuy really pushes her into it. And AS is willing to pay her.

AS wants something classic, like a Chanel design or something from the 1920s. She's even got some patterns. Carmelita makes a crack about AS's age. She warns again that it's been a long time. "You people are always coming up with excuses not to work," AS complains. She adds that Carmela couldn't afford to buy fabric like this in three lifetimes. "Just do it quick and do a good job," AS commands reassuringly.

MA sends Frida on a mission to buy some mattresses with the money he got from Sharky. (I don't think AS knows her chinchilla's gone yet.)

At the office, Vilma gives Ahole the information and photos she's found on Tato. Ahole wonders why Mini would want to drive a "pickup truck" like Tato when she can have a Formula One racecar like him? Vilma verbally agrees as she silently traces her finger around Tato's muscles in the photo.

Ahole also asks Vilma to check his laptop for signs of tampering. He noticed last night that some of his files have been moved. "Oh, do you think there was an intruso? Or INTRUSA??" Vilma exclaims with an exaggerated gasp, which makes me think she actually moved the files herself, because why would Mini have moved the files? You don't have to move files around in order to copy them. But anyway. Ahole tells Vilma to find out.

MA thanks Chuy for helping him finish the room and for helping the family and providing them with shelter for all this time. (Wow, maybe he really did damage his brain when he fell. Either that or there was some really good stuff in that shot he got from Dr. Tintas.) Mati tells MA, "your grandfather and I are very proud of you." There is more sentimental and affectionate talk among MA, Mati, and Chuy.

At school, the kids are talking about going to the mall with their dads and buying expensive stuff. Emiliano says his father's on a trip, but when he comes back they'll go shopping. The teacher says they're going to have a "When I'm 20, I Will..." thing and all the kids are supposed to bring some sort of show-and-tell thing to supplement it. This may require a costly purchase.

Carmelita moans to Lupe, with her and MA becoming an item, now the RPs will never get out of there. Lupita says the one thing has nothing to do with the other. But she doesn't like pretending they're related when she's always telling Emil not to lie.

Saul meets with Ahole at Ahole's request. Ahole is trying to figure out if MA is plotting against him. Saul says MA is somewhere in Italy, and how can he be plotting against Ahole - unless Ahole is hiding something?

Ahole tells Saul that he saw AS at the Three Seasons last week. She tried to get the company to pay her entire hotel bill, and she successfully stuck him with a single restaurant bill for more than 30,000 pesos.

Frida comes back with two large mattresses and one small one. The small one is for Mati and the big ones are for the rest of the family to share! MA had given her enough money to buy a small mattress for each of them, but these were a bargain (she's as dumb a shopper as her mother is) and they're super-comfy, she insists. The delivery guys won't take the mattresses up the stairs. "Nobody around here ever wants to work," Leo shouts from the roof. Frida asks him to help; he doesn't want to work either.

JT starts heckling Frida, but Diego arrives at the same time and offers to help. Frida thanks him and gives him a hug. Now JT wants to show off to Frida too, but Diego is clearly the stronger man!

Diego finds Leo shirtless but doesn't openly drool. I say the jury's still out. Diego offers Leo money and free fighting lessons in exchange for art and acting lessons. Leo says, "I'm expensive," but promises to think about it.

Saul calls MA to report on his meeting with Ahole. He's sure that when Vilma came to La Nopalera a few weeks ago, she wasn't looking for MA. He also reports that AS left a wide trail of unpaid bills behind her at the hotel - the "Countess" didn't pay for a thing, as AS had claimed.

Next time: Nepo looks frustrated again. What else is new?

Labels:


Comments:
Julie:

Thanks so much for putting this up. I was wrong about the hallucination, but their kisses were sweet either way!

I will wait for your take on this episode to comment more. I'll have to think of the trivia question. Poor Carmelita is all I can say.
 

Julie:

I just got it, the material, lol. Thanks : )
 

Love love the title, julie!!
and in honor of that scene in the bedroom i want to post this...
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/iwanttoholdyourhand.html

Oh yeah, I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand
When I'll say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

Oh please, say to me
You'll let me be your man
And please, say to me
You'll let me hold your hand
I'll let me hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

And when I touch you I feel happy
Inside
It's such a feeling that my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Yeah, you've got that something
I think you'll understand
When I'll say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

And when I touch you I feel happy
Inside
It's such a feeling that my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Yeah, you've got that something
I think you'll understand
When I'll feel that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand


 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

this one has a video of the young beatles singing it... sweet!
http://artists.letssingit.com/the-beatles-lyrics-i-want-to-hold-your-hand-cm3blgf
btw, its 'and let me hold your hand' not 'I'll let me hold your hand' as my posted lyrics say.


 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

i took my last comment off to not spoil the trivia fun for others.
 

Julie, thanks for the posting. I loved the trivia question!!! It fits the situation perfectly.

A very entertaining episode:

Minerva using a play on words re: getting MA back thinking she would go to bed with him to do it. Rather than "cuésteme lo que me cueste" (at whatever cost)she got carried away and said "acuésteme lo que me acuésteme" Isela's reaction was priceless.

Frida and José Tizoc's face off with "nacommunication" was hilarious with his whole crew watching.

Madelaine, I agree with you with poor Carmelita. She got pushed into that deal AS says she will pay her. With what??? Carmelita did manage to get in a jab when referring to the "old lady styles" in her patterns.

Diego sure bested José Tizoc in the mattress moving. Leonardo with his hands that "only create". was too much. Poor Frida being taken in by the sale and that the mattresses were just like those they have in the White House.

Poor Diego willing to PAY Leonardo from his savings to be educated in the arts. Of course Leonardo could just see dollar signs.

My favorite parts were: 1. Doña Mati telling MA that don Aureliano had said that MA had the "soul of a builder" and that one day he would make his own home with his own hands. 2. Don Chuy congratulating MA on his work and both of them getting "dust in their eyes". Looks like MA has found a real father figure.

Nepo with pictures of himself on the walls in his dining room?? S

Well, it is the first day of spring and the snow is coming down. So, it is time for me to go! I might start singing something from the Sound of Music at this point. . . .

Jarifa


 

Marta, that Beatles song brought back good memories. Thanks.

Jarifa
 

I thought later, didn't Scarlett O'Hara also make a dress out of curtains? And that dress was just for herself. So that's probably a better comparison than Fraulein Maria. LOL.

I will work on the recap now but not sure if I'll be able to finish it right away. Sorry about that :(
 

Woops, can't work on it now. Sorry :( it really will be closer to lunchtime. But please don't hold off on the discussion. It was a very eventful episode!!
 

Yes, it was a dress made from heavy green draperies. Carol Burnett once did a spoof of it and left in the drapery rod in her final design. Maria and Scarlett both fit the AS situation. Too funny.

Jarifa
 

Carol Burnett once did a spoof of it and left in the drapery rod in her final design. that sounds hysterical, Jarifa.. will have to look for it on youtube to see if its there.
 

Though the quality of the video is not good, here is that scene with Carol Burnett. I remember seeing it when it first aired... it's still hilarious.

Carlos
 

That skit with the curtain rod is the only reason I remember Scarlett O'Hara doing that at all!

The recap will be up in about five minutes.
 

Thanks for the recap!

Nepo needs to get a clue! If this is not pressuring Lupita, I wonder what is…

AS is one demanding woman! Poor Carmelita, I can’t believe she went along with making those dresses for her. I wonder how she is planning to pay Carmelita.

Diego surely got excited when he learned that Leo was back, he even went to see him right away. I’m sure those art classes will be very expensive if Leo decides to teach him. But I loved that scene with them and Leo saying that he’ll send him a text, email, or memo and Diego is like, who is memo?

Also loved Frida and MA arguing about the ‘Obama mattress’ and how are they all going to fit in there! LOL

Despite Vilma knowing and supporting Alejo’s shady businesses I actually like Vilma. I loved how she kept criticizing Tato yet she couldn’t stop admiring his picture and tracing her fingers over his chest and six pack!
And then complaining to Saul that AS had problems with food! (she paid that enormous restaurant bill for the engagement dinner)

Isela’s and Mini’s scene was very funny too!

Evelin

 

Thanks so much Julie, for getting this done while being so busy.

The nacommunication face off was funny. JT was really shocked by how well Frida spoke naco. Now, let's see if he can talk fresa.

MA and Lupita were adorable holding hands in bed. I like that they admitted that they have no idea where this is going. It was refreshingly honest and real. Let's hope his growing feelings for Lupe are making him a better man. The real test will come when he finally has those papers giving him access to the 1 million $ in his hands. Will he really show that he is NOTHING like his cousin? Hmm...?

What's it going to take for MA to realize that AS and Leo spent the Menchaca money on their vacation away from poverty? He better catch on tonight after what Saul told him.
 

Vilma is a riot. I wish we knew more about her. Or would that spoil the fun?

Maybe AS thinks letting Carm keep the precious scraps of leftover fabric will be payment enough for her work. I'm really curious as to how good of a job Carmelita will do. It is really bizarre of AS to expect great results from someone when she hasn't even seen samples of her work, especially after moaning how she misses her French seamstresses.

Leo says he's expensive, but unless he has a lot of money we don't know about, I think his fee for Diego will have to be reasonable. Especially since he'll be getting freebie fighting lessons from Diego too. Maybe Leo will have another scary confrontation with someone, and then he'll be more eager to learn.

The reason I say the jury (my personal jury of one) is still out on Diego is that he truly does seem interested in the fine arts. Leo is apparently the first and only person he has ever met who will even admit to knowing anything about such things. That alone might be enough to explain Diego's enthusiasm for Leo. It's entirely possible that he really does like girls, but is angsting so hard about the soccer/art issue with his dad that he can't think about girls right now.

It's harder for me to imagine Leo with a girl, and not just because he's "artistic." It could turn out, ironically, that Leo becomes attracted to Diego, only to find out that Diego likes a girl that we haven't met yet.
 

Will this make Vilma look another way (Tato)? up until now she had eyes only for A-hole as a macho. I wonder what possibilities are for Vilma to use Tato for her sexual needs... even though intellectually he would not satisfy her... and if this will help her GET OVER A-hole.
 

Vivi, as funny as many moments last night were, ITA with you on how lovely the bedroom scene holding hands was and his honesty in saying he had no clue where 'this' was going. But clarifying that he was 'nothing' like A-hole. Now lets see him prove that when the going gets tough.
 

Julie, thanks so much for taking the time to do this in the midst of your early mornings demanding schedule. And you didn't skimp at all on the quality!

I loved the nacommunication battle. Tizoc was definitely impressed by how much Frida has picked up! Although he got a good joke in himself, saying "vas a ver lo que es amar a Justin Bieber en tierra de [some Mexican musician; I jotted the phrase down at home but now I can't remember who he said]." Fine wordplay on the phrase "amar a dios en tierra de los indios" meaning to be alone and out of your comfort zone.

AS has absolutely no self-awareness. Too funny, her telling Carmelita (who has just made a point of how she works ALL DAY LONG at the fonda) that poor people will use any excuse not to work. AS, who has never done anything useful. I hope Carmelita makes those clothes really beautifully, but a size too small. But only if it doesn't get out first that AS stole the money. As for payment, AS probably figures she can either stall on paying indefinitely, or else Carmelita ought to be satisfied with a few small coins.

Frida, oy. I thought she was the smart one. Aren't they going to be so cozy, all snuggled into bed together?

I love how things keep emerging from the VIP penthouse that Leo and MA and Frida could have used to sleep more comfortably. The fur coat, the big stack of fabrics. I bet there's a lot more in there.

Nepo is being such a creep. She said NO. Which obviously means yes, because women are just flighty and don't know what they want so men have to tell them. After that, no wonder MA's "let's just see how this goes" seemed so appealing.
 

Julia, great point! Nepo's stalking Lupe must have made MA's approach THAT much more appealing to her ('no pressure, lets take it as it goes' vs 'SAY YES NOW!' Lol)


 

I agree - the contrast between Nepo's approach and MA's was showcased very deliberately. Why can't Nepo see that he is STRESSING HER OUT?

Even if she had started out thinking maybe she would get out to liking him, this constant hounding would have driven her away for sure.

The most logical punishment for Nepo would be to get a taste of his own medicine from an equally persistent female. Will that be Guendy, or shall we throw a rebound girlfriend at him first?
 

I couldn't believe (well, I could) that Nepo had the gall to say to Lupita's face that she didn't mean what she said because women are so unpredictable, one day they want one thing, another day another; they just don't know what they want. He just needed to add that she probably only turned him down because she has PMS, and he probably could have gotten punched!

And it just shows he doesn't know or listen to Lupita at all. She's the farthest thing from flighty and capricious. Cautious, yes, but not the airhead he describes. It becomes ever more clear why Diego's mother left.
 

If I'd had more time, I would have replayed the scene and listened more carefully to see if he actually did say that she was "on one of her days" or anything like that. I don't think he would be so rude (or unwise), but then I didn't think he would say as much as he actually did, either.

He will not be very happy when he hears that Diego wants to hang around with Leo, the lazy good-for-nothing artist. Maybe that's what he looked so angry about in the avances last night.
 

Julie, thank you for the fantastic recap!

Carlos, thank you for posting the Carol Burnett Youtube. It was just as funny as the first time I saw it.

Nepo need to button up his shirt and let Lupita go before it gets ugly.

I hope MA and Lupita are careful for a while because they don't need any rumors of "kissing cousins" traveling around La Nopalera that could jeopardize MA's situation.

Jarifa


 

The thing is, it isn't really a lie that the RPs are cousins of the family. MA, Leo, and Frida are Emiliano's first cousins once removed. There are just few people who know that.

If MA and Lupita were caught canoodling, their nosey friends and neighbors would probably want a clarification of the relationship, at which point Lupita would then be put in the position of having to tell the truth or tell a lie (because just telling people it's none of their business is impossible).

Right now they are saying vaguely that they are "cousins" but not how close. Nepo certainly seems worried that they aren't close enough to keep Lupita from casting her eyes at MA.
 

Thanks Julie for this excellent recap. I just now finished watching the episode and reading your recap and the comments.

I was happy to see that AS has some survival instincts and resourcefulness. I can't believe that Carmelita actually agreed to go along with this though it 's sure to be fun.

Was Emi's teacher in AB?

The nac-off was very cute. This show sure is a welcome relief after the misery of LQMLVR that precedes.

Carlos
 

Exactly, any kind of "lovey-dovey" action that would initiate a clarification of the familial relationship between Lupita and MA could jeopardize MA's situation especially with someone like Nepo in the wings.

Jarifa
 

A possible compromise between lying and telling the truth would be to say that they're not cousins in the conventional sense, but they're still "like family" to Chuy because he was friendly with MA's grandfather back in the day and "owed him" for some particular thing, the details of which are a private but very mundane family matter which is why it was just easier to say they're cousins.

That's not a lie. It's an exaggeration, yes. But under the circumstances, it's what I would say.

Omitting the additional detail of Emiliano's DNA doesn't seem dishonest either, since it has nothing to do with why the RPs are living there.
 

I think "they are distant relatives, but Chuy and Abuelo were really close friends" should be enough explanation for the nosy nellies who want to know why Lupita is kissing MA.

It's convenient that a lot of these people never compare stories. Nepo was told that the RPs had just come from the U.S. Tizoc knows that Frida was going to school in D.F and has friends there.
 

Well, Tizoc and Perla both know that the RPs are local, right? And they know not to tell anyone else. That's what I thought, anyway.

Perla's had ample opportunity to tell Guendy all kinds of stuff about her visit to the RP office, but she's been amazingly tight-lipped. (Maybe because she's already seen what happens when you tell Guendy anything!)
 

Well, enough about Lupita's love life. The important thing is, IS NEPO GOING TO SPONSOR TIZOC'S BAND?!

I used to think maybe Frida could be a lot of help with promoting and organizing the band, and maybe even sing or something, but after the mattress kerfuffle I don't think I would want her managing anything.

Unless Frida was strategically planning ahead and thinking, "MA and Lupita will probably want to share eventually anyway, so they can have the king-size White House Obama whatever, and then Mati can have the single and Frida can have Lupita's old bed, and AS and Leo can whatever because obviously they are going to bounce again as soon as they find a better option.
 

Another super recap, Julie. Thanks for your gift of time and effort.

So does Diego just want art instruction from Leo, seeing that Leo is the first person he's met who values art? Or is there a personal attraction too? I'm thinking maybe it's a hunger for artistic expression that's driving Diego, but I could easily be wrong.

MA+Lupita=a lovely sweetness and a refuge from their other problems.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder