Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Pasión y Poder #34 Martes 12/22/15



Chapter 34: House of Cards

David arrived only to be confronted by Eladio, who held up the photo of himself and Regina.
Why did you conceal your relationship with Regina Montenegro?” he demanded. His voice couldn't have been colder.
At the same moment Daniela tattled on her sister to their mother, handing her another copy of the same photo, also telling her that she had tipped off Eladio. Nina, who needed no excuse to ever be displeased with her older daughter, did not want to believe it. Daniela grinned to herself. She was a slightly older version of a typical Mean Girl in a sorority who loved playing nasty tricks on anyone she hated. She hated no one more than her older sister. However, she had no idea she had done a swan dive into a sea of sharks.


What did you think, that I would never find out?” Eladio asked. “What did you think?”
Father, I'm sorry. I know you hate Arturo Montenegro.”
You should feel the same about his daughter.”
I didn't plan this. We were working together and got along well. I was going to tell you –”
Alright, alright. When would I have known?”
As soon as I was sure how I feel about her. Father, you know what?”
I don't believe anything out of you. I was an idiot for giving you shares when you're consorting with the enemy.”
That's why I didn't accept them. I wasn't sure you'd ever accept us and that you think I'm taking advantage of you? I knew you'd never approve of my relationship with Regina.”
Of course not.”
I'm sorry, but –”
I don't believe you. You know what? You're a liar. A traitor. I knew I couldn't ever trust you.”
I tried to demonstrate you could trust me. First, I worked on that issue with the materials. Secondly, I accepted the offer to work with you, Father. Thirdly, Regina and I never discussed either your business or her father's.”
Up to now. But what about the future? Don't you get it that this girl would get information –”
Regina would never do anything like that. Neither she nor I will go along with the fights between you and her father.”
You don't think, do you? What do you get with the daughter of my worst enemy? I told you all the reasons to hate Arturo Montenegro and that doesn't matter?”
Of course it matters, Father, but you know perfectly well what it is to love someone. My relationship with Regina started long before I knew why you hated each other. We don't want to be involved in your problems. I love Regina, Father. I want you to understand.” He took his hand. “I love Regina more than anyone.”
Eladio enclosed David's hand in both of his and smiled slightly. “That is of very little importance to me.” He embraced him. “You will break up with that slut, period.”
I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, Father. I'm sorry for that. But no way am I ending my relationship with Regina.”
Eladio grabbed his arm and started pulling him toward the elevator. “You aren't listening to me. We're going! You will do as I order you to!”
I am an adult, Father. I have the right to do what I think best with my life.”
No, no. You are a good boy who doesn't know the consequences. Did you think about how Arturo will react when he hears about you and his daughter?”
Of course I've thought about it. I will accept however he feels about it.”
What about what I've been telling you for years? He will want to destroy you. Destroy you and use his daughter to get to me.”
You are very mistaken about that, Father. Regina can't be forced to do such a thing. Regina isn't like that.”
Open your eyes. Open your eyes and get over it. You are my family. You have to be on my side. You can't consort with the Montenegros. Least of all because of what happened between that man and your mother. Think about it well. You have to leave this girl. I will help you. Or you will have to leave the house and forget about your parents forever.”
He walked away, leaving David stunned. In all that he appeared not to have noticed that he had a fairly big audience among the hospital staff. A good venue for informants for gadflies like me.

Did you talk to her?” Nina asked Daniela. “Do you know how serious this is?”
It's that I don't want her to know that I was the one who told you. She'll talk trash about me.”
Oh, please, when have you ever been worried about what Regina thinks or does? Dear God!”
I just don't want any more fights with her, Mama, because if I fight with her that will just create more problems between Dad and you. Or not?”
Nina thought about that for a moment.
I see. That's possible.”
Please, Mama, don't tell me to do that. Promise me.”
Alright, very well.”
She's a cynic. Besides, she knows that David's mother and Dad were once engaged. She doesn't care how that makes you feel, Mama.”
I'm sure that it's Julia Gómez-Luna's fault that your father wants to divorce me,” said Nina.
You can't possibly believe that, Mother. You can't believe she planned this.”
Of course she did. Your father started to change when he saw her at the stupid gala we all went to.”
You aren't going to let him divorce you, are you?”
No way!”
I would never accept you being separated. Least of all because of any other woman! I would never forgive my father if he left you for anyone else.”
That is what you have to say. That's what will work on him. Not now, but when I say so.”
I suppose that Eladio Gómez-Luna thinks the same or worse than you,” said Daniela. “I doubt very much he will want his son to stay with Regina.”
We can hope. And more. I think I should talk to Eladio Gómez-Luna.”
Really, Ma? I'll help you.”
No. No, no, no. Unfortunately, this will complicate things even more with your father.”
But Father will still come to a decision, no?”
Of course. Now more than ever I'll depend on you to let me know everything that happens in this family. That's how I will recover your father.”

Julia and Gabriela talked in the hospital room. Gabriela told her that David had stopped Arturo from entering her room in intensive care. Also that she had told Arturo to stay away from her. Julia looked as though she did not appreciate this interference.
Don't you know how dangerous it is for you to be in contact with that man? I'm afraid of what my uncle will do when he finds out.”
Gaby, you're right. I'm sorry. I won't involve you in this situation. I'm sorry.”
Thanks, Aunt. Thanks for understanding. I've had my back against the wall. What worries me the most is what my uncle will do when he finds out.”
Yes. Everything I've done is for the the good of you and David. I won't involve you anymore and I won't ask for your help.”
You don't have to, Aunt. You know I will always help you. It's better if you promise me you won't talk to this man again.”
Don't worry. Calm down. Everything will be alright.”
Well, I'm leaving for a moment. I'm going to buy some magazines. Can I get you anything?”
No. Thanks for everything.”
She was no sooner out the door that Eladio came charging in. If he had been a bull in the ring he couldn't have been more angry.
What's going on? Why are you charging in like this?”
Since when did you know that David has been involved with Regina Montenegro?” He held up the photo.
Julia adjusted herself and sighed. She had not expected this.
I just asked you something, Julia.” He grabbed her hand. “Since when have you both been making me look like an idiot. Answer me!”
Eladio, please, let go of me.” David entered.
Let go of her!” he said, pointing. “She hasn't done anything wrong. Let go of her!”
Since when has she been laughing in my face?”
She hasn't done anything. How could she? You and I are going to talk outside.” He pointed toward the door.
David, please don't go. Don't leave me alone with your father.”
Mother, we're just going to talk. Calm down.”
He held the door open and waited for Eladio to leave the room. Eladio picked up the photo and walked out, silent and stone-faced.
Calm down, Mother,” he said as he touched her face. He then walked out and closed the door quietly. David followed Eladio into the corridor.
If you're annoyed it's with me. Say what you want to me but don't raise a hand against Mother. Let her have some peace.”
You and I have nothing to talk about since you have so completely deceived me.”
I'm sorry, Father. At the end of the day I didn't see how you'd take this or how it would affect you.” He pointed to his own head. He may have realized his father was mad as a Victorian hatter.
Nothing more than the daughter of the man who wants to destroy me. The only solution I see is for you to have nothing more to do with her.”
I love Regina. Read my lips. I love Regina.”
Are you sure?” Eladio asked slyly. “Because she –”
She, what? What? You better not hurt or even touch her.”
Very well,” Eladio said, calmly. “Let's see if you feel the same way when you're both left alone. At any moment you won't be able to see your mother. Good luck with that.” He walked away, as stone-faced as ever. David looked after him in shock.

Consuelo watched Erick button his shirt cuffs.
Why are you looking at me like that?”
I didn't know you had returned so early. Why did you not come to see me?”
I don't have to see you for anything.”
Yes, you do. I am your wife, and now that you're here we have to talk.”
So what do you want from me now? Do you want me to go to the gynecologist appointment with you?”
I would, but it's clear your child means nothing to you.”
So, why don't you just say what you want?”
I want you to know that your lover had the gall to show up here in this house to scream at me.”
Erick should not have been caught by surprise, but he seemed to be.
How is it possible, Erick, that you're still with her? You looked me in the eye and told me to my face that things would change --”
That was before you deceived me. Before I discovered your lies!”
What does that have to do with it? Besides, I told you I never worked in that place --”
Oh yeah? Well, I don't believe you. I don't believe you. If I am still with Monserrat it's because she is honest. She doesn't lie to me.”
Oh, please, Erick. Do you think she's only with you? That she isn't also with anyone else? Or that she hasn't been with anyone else?”
I don't know. I don't know. And I don't care. She is with me because she loves me and not for money like you are.”
Oh, please! Don't tell me you think she's with you for love.”
Of course she is. Listen well. She is the woman I love. Do you understand?”
I had apologized for not explaining where I go.”
I don't care about your explanations. I don't want to know more. I don't care. You hid the truth about your mother –”
Fortunately, Miguel heard and entered.
Shut up, Erick! Don't talk that way to Consuelo!”
Don't you interfere in this! What business is it of yours?”
With all respect to Consuelo, fix your marriage in the interests of your child.”
Of what interest is this baby to you? Why don't we get a DNA test?”
I wish it were mine.”
There was no worse time for him to admit this.
What did you say?” Erick asked.
That if you want this child to be happy give Consuelo the proper respect as your wife.”
I understand perfectly what you're saying, Miguelito. That you are in love with my wife.”
Consuelo didn't want to hear any more.
Please, it's not like that –”
Shut up. You shut up.” He said with a menacing expression. “Why didn't this occur to me before? Why else would the two of you always be together?”
Don't offend Consuelo with such stupid conclusions!”
Of course you love her. You desire her. I knew something was going on –” He also looked completely mad.
No, of course not, no!” said Consuelo.
So that's why you're always defending her. You love her that much –” He grabbed Consuelo by the arms and began to shove her. Miguel punched him out. Consuelo landed on the sofa while Erick ended up on the floor almost on his simian face. Both came to their feet.
I won't let you doubt her.”
Consuelo stood between them, trying to hold Miguel back. Erick yanked her back and shook the opposite index finger at her.
Tell me the truth!”
I swear to you –”
You are a liar! You are the same as your mother! What has been going on with this –?”
Nothing!”
Why the hell do I always find you together? He's always been here when I've worked.”
He punched Miguel, who did not land on the floor. The fight continued with Consuelo screaming for them to stop. Unfortunately for her Nina and Daniela heard this downstairs and came up.
Stop it! He's your brother!”
This idiot is not my brother!” said Erick as he landed another punch.
Nina and Daniela barged in.
What the hell is going on here?” Nina shouted.

Arturo returned to the city sooner than expected. He went directly to the hospital to see Julia. After making careful enquiries about her a nurse directed him to her room. He looked carefully around before entering. He did not see Franco, who appeared from the adjoining corridor. He took out his cell phone, but only got Eladio's voicemail. He left a brief message saying “Godfather, I've something very important to tell you.”
Obviously he wanted to see Eladio's reaction to the information by telling him later in person. A true spy might have just told him what happened and allowed the time stamp on the call to prove the event so that he couldn't be accused of late delivery of news, good or bad. This wasn't industrial espionage, however; it was something personal and that had far more power than dollars, peso, or pounds sterling.
Julia appeared to be asleep. Arturo looked at her for moment before whispering her name. He touched her arm and she looked at him. She began to cry as she sat up and leaned into him.
Be calm. Why are you crying?” he asked.
It's alright,” she said, unconvincingly.
It will be alright,” he said. “I'm here to help you, to protect you. I love you.”
Arturo?” she asked. He looked directly into her eyes.
I love you, Julia. I never stopped loving you all this time. Tell me you still love me. We can't hide how we feel anymore. We can only go down fighting for it.”
Arturo, no. We can't. It's making me afraid. I can't say things like that.”
It's only the truth.”
No. I think that you and I only want to relive the beautiful things of our engagement. You remember? But we have to agree that this is just an escape from our current problems. It's just an illusion.”
It's a real feeling. That's why it can't be ripped out. It's here, in my heart.” He touched her face gently.
Please leave. I don't want Eladio to find --”
Be calm. He went out. He's not here. On the phone you said you love me.”
Her facial expression confirmed that.
Love, find your strength. Tell me the truth. Do you love me?”
Yes. Yes. I've always loved you. But I never thought anything would come of it because you're married, too.”
I've asked for a divorce.”
No, you didn't.”
It's absurd to stay married to a woman I don't love. You love me. We should fight to be together, as we always were meant to be.”
They kissed as though they were twenty-five years younger and kissing for the first time. For that moment they were in his first new car, on their third date, and away from anything that would bother them. The hospital room with its intrusive, repetitive noises did not exist for them.

Mother, it's that this slut has deceived me. And this wretch --” he pointed at Miguel “has been fooling around with my wife.”
No,” said Consuelo. “It isn't like that.”
With you one never knows!” said Nina. “When my son takes a business trip you're off with another male friend!” As Consuelo tried to say something Nina turned on Miguel. “And I trust you even less!”
You are also behaving like an imbecile,” Miguel said to her. Erick charged at him, grabbed his lapels, and backed him down at the foot of the bed. Consuelo tried to stop him but wasn't fast enough to prevent the punch he landed. She pulled him back as he yelled “I'll kill you! I'll kill you!” at Miguel. Nina and Daniela did nothing. Erick pushed them out of the room while looking over his shoulder. As they went out Consuelo collapsed on the floor by the couch while Miguel got up. He looked at her but did not anticipate her reaction.
Why, why did you say that, Miguel? You and I are only supposed to be friends!”
I'm sorry, but I couldn't let that imbecile keep insulting you!”
He is my husband. You can't interfere. Look at what happened. Look at what that did to me! Look at what you did to me. Why?”
Because --”
Shut up! It's better we don't say more. You've only finished everything.”

Franco stood in the same spot. He left another message for Eladio telling him it was urgent he call him back. David and Gabriela came in, arguing about Eladio. Franco ducked out of their view as they stopped in front of the door to Julia's room.
I don't care what he says to me, but I'm worried about my mother,” David told her.
Did she tell you what happened?” Gabriela asked, just as Regina arrived.
My love,” David said as she kissed him. Franco was watching from behind the supporting post. Regina turned to Gabriela and exchanged greetings with her. Gabriela then headed for Julia's room.
How is your mother?”
We have to talk.”
Regardless of culture or social class, there are no words more effective than these at striking fear in the human heart.

My love, I'm getting worried,” Regina said to David.
He looked around. Franco ducked back.
I think it's better we find another place to talk,” he said.
They headed away from Julia's room, but did not see that Franco was following them.
David, before anything else I'm grateful. Except for you I wouldn't have found those workers.”
You know for you I'm capable of doing anything.”
They kissed and Franco ducked back.
Let's go because that Franco could be nearby.”
Franco did not take the chance of following them further. He felt he knew all he needed to.

I only want you to know that whatever happens --”
Miguel, enough. We simply have to realize that this has no solution.”
Nina and Erick walked in, as usual without knocking.
My son has just told me that besides being a damned liar, I can't even trust you alone with this social-climbing hypocrite,” she said. The last words through clenched teeth.
Madam, things are not how Erick thinks,” Consuelo said.
That doesn't matter,” Nina replied. “I will not tolerate the presence in my house of a bastard who is messing with my son's wife. But well, what else can I expect when he's in love with a slut?”
And you?” asked Miguel. “You invented all of this to end your marriage to Consuelo. You are so lacking in manhood that you allow your mistress to attack your wife. If you can't face that --”
Of course!” yelled Nina. “You're defending her because certainly your mother was the same as she is.”
My mother has nothing to do with this. One more word like that and I swear –”
Consuelo restrained Miguel by the shoulder while Erick stepped in front of Nina.
Sir,” said Consuelo to Erick. “I am not responsible for anything my mother ever did. And in my entire life, Erick, I have never done anything to be ashamed of. Nothing.”
That could be as you say,” Nina said. “Nobody will believe you.”
Erick, I was faithful. I loved you.”
No, no, no. You lied to me. You lied about your base origins. On top of that you're saying this is mine,” he pointed to her abdomen, “when it could belong to this idiot.”
You are an imbecile,” Miguel said.
How can you say this?” asked Consuelo. “This baby is yours. I have not been unfaithful. I would never deceive you.”
No, no. You were always after my money. That's the only thing I had you ever wanted –”
No, no, no, no, no,” said Nina. “No way. Relieve yourself of this brat and her spawn.” She looked at Miguel and Consuelo. “The best thing would be for you two to get out of here now. When Arturo comes back and knows everything he'd throw you both out himself.” She directed Erick toward the door. “Let's go.” They walked out.
Leave me, Miguel,” said Consuelo. “Just go.”
He obliged her. She sat on the bed and cried.
Consuelo always knew she had an enemy in her mother-in-law. Now Nina would use what Erick undoubtedly told her against her in the worst way she could. She wished she had managed to tell Arturo earlier; he had been very understanding before. But now she was too upset to not worry about this situation.

No, no this isn't right,” Julia said.
Why? Julia, you can't be ashamed of what you feel.”
But whatever we feel doesn't change our circumstances.”
It can.”
No, it's impossible. But you asked your wife for a divorce. My God!”
It wasn't about you. Everything else between me and Nina was wrong.”
Even if you were a free man, I'm a married woman.”
Yes. I know. But if you love me and we make the right plans we can be together.”
But we can't be so selfish as to forget about everyone else. The most important thing right now has to be that our children be alright.”
But they will seek their own happiness. They won't have to suffer.”
No, don't insist on that. Besides, if Eladio finds out he's capable of killing you.”
When she saw the look on his face she was shocked she had said it out loud. She had feared this for a long time and saying it aloud made it more real.

Regina and David went to a restaurant and talked about their joint family problem. All he ever wanted was to win his father's love, but he began to realize that could never happen. He had his mother and Gabriela beyond that and realized that Regina had more people to worry about. She then decided that talking to her father is what she most needed to do. She wanted to do it immediately. He made her promise not to change her mind. He wished her luck as she kissed him and headed out.

I understand you're concern about Eladio's reaction. But we have to find a way to be together.”
But I don't think we'll have the opportunity.”
We could go somewhere else. Another city, another country --”
Where could we go where we can't be found? His hatred has no limits. He's capable of doing anything to make us pay.” She began to cry.
Arturo tried to comfort her, but her fear was taking over again.
If you and I are together, I'm afraid of what he'll do to our children. He won't stop at separating us. He'll do it in the worst way possible.”
For what reason?”
To split us up.”
How? What are you talking about?”
You don't know?”
What don't I know?”
Neither of them knew that Eladio was in the corridor on his way.
Regina, your daughter, and my son, David, are in a relationship.”
Arturo paused a moment. Neither he nor Julia knew what bullet missed them when Eladio reached for the door handle. Aldo appeared out of nowhere and called out his name.
Mr Gómez-Luna?”
What are you doing here?”
I was looking for you because --”
How do you dare to --”
You have to come with me. It's about Monserrat. She's in serious condition in this hospital.”
I can't go.”
Please. This could be the last time I see her.”
Let's go.” He gave Aldo the signal to lead the way.

I'm sorry if I'm the one to give you the news, but it's the truth.”
Julia, you must be confused.”
No, my son came to me to say he loves her. We can't be so selfish as to put our love before that of our children. It would be better to let them have their love and be happy.”
I didn't know a thing about this until now. I don't know what to tell you. But I will speak with Regina. And the love we feel will always be here.” They kissed. “I love you.”
He left her room. As he closed the door she still cried, but looked as though there was a ray of hope somewhere.

Eladio was in Monserrat's room, which must have been at the other end of the floor. He was his usual unfeeling self. As they talked he flicked his lighter on and closed it repeatedly as though it were nothing at all.
I don't understand what you did.”
That's exactly the trouble, Eladio. You don't understand me. You don't know how much I hurt.”
She had the look of feigned innocence that never attracted sympathy from him, whether he saw through it or not.
Very well. What do you need?”
It's that I've done everything you demanded of me. Including getting rid of the baby you insisted I abort. I feel abandoned, I have no visitors. It hurts.”
It's your own fault. You failed me. You betrayed me. You cheated on me with Erick.”
That was a mistake. I know it was a terrible mistake, but I sent him away. I've dedicated myself completely to you, Eladio, but you aren't doing the same for me. I felt like you don't value me and I was desperate. Why can't I do without you?” He moved closer to the bed.
Let's see, remember that drama and foolishness are a very bad combination. I hope you don't try to do this again.” She took his hand in hers.
Please, Eladio, don't leave me,” she begged. She began kissing his hand.
He laughed quietly and in his most calculating way as he picked up the edge of the blanket.
Ay, Monserrat, Monserrat. Stop threatening me and behave yourself. Because the next time I will owe you nothing and I won't care what happens to you.” He flicked the lighter on and off again.
His heart was colder than Auric Goldfinger's.

Gabriela returned and Franco pulled her aside.
You won't believe who is visiting your aunt.”
Who?”
Arturo Montenegro. I've been trying to call my godfather but he doesn't answer.”
No, no, don't tell him. I beg of you not to tell him.”
You know something more?”
Franco, we have to talk about what's happening.”
What are you talking about?”
It's something very sensitive, but before you must promise me you won't say anything to anyone. Promise me.”
My love, it's me. Baby, I'd never betray you.”
She looked as though she doubted him.
Surely you can confide in me.”
Gabriela told Franco the backstory of Julia, Arturo, and Eladio. She also begged him not to tell Eladio he knew.
You mean all this started when my godfather and Arturo Montenegro were in love with the same woman? Well, that explains a lot. Do you suppose that Arturo is operating on the assumption that nobody else knows what happened?”
I don't know, but all I'm looking to do is to protect my aunt. Nobody else can know. Please swear to me you won't say anything.”
I swear, I swear.” He kissed her. “I know you love my godmother a great deal and I don't want any problems with my godfather.”
Thanks. I always knew I could trust you. I'll be back.”
She had no sooner left than Eladio arrived.
What happened? What was so important you left me so many messages? Come on, talk!”

The following morning Arturo and Augustin talked about this. Augustin was shocked.
What are you going to do?”
I don't know yet.”
Regina arrived and Augustin left so they could talk. She sat down at the desk. She cam right out with it. “Dad, I'm sorry I lied to you about it but it's time I told you the truth. David Gómez-Luna and I are involved. Dad, the only thing I am asking is for your help.”
The truth, Dad, is that I never thought I could be in love like this. It's the first time I feel like I could do everything for him.”
I understand you.”
I know that you and his mother were lovers in the past and that was the cause of the problems between you and his father.”
That has no solution.”
I imagine his father feels the same.”
So he knows?”
Yes. I wish you could resolve your problems with him. Please. I need you to help me.”
There was a knock. Arturo looked up and David entered the room. The secretary looked as though she were trying to stop him.
Sir, I have to speak with you.”
Now, this is a big surprise,” said Arturo.
I'm sorry, sir,” said the secretary.
Don't worry about it, thanks,” he said to her. She excused herself and left, closing the door.
Did you ask him to come?” Arturo asked his daughter.
No.”
I'm sorry, sir, for barging in like this but I couldn't leave Regina alone at such an important time. I have to tell you that I love your daughter and I'm prepared to do anything to be able to be at her side.”
Arturo said nothing, but looked favorably impressed. Regina smiled at David from behind his back.

Franco showed his cell phone photo of Regina and David to Eladio. Who laughed.
You always think you're ahead but that's not the case.”
Why did you say that?”
Because I know already.”
Seriously?”
Don't you get it? You're always a step behind me. And if you want to be useful give me information I can use.”
Therefore do you know that David also betrayed you in the business?”
How?”
Because he helped his girlfriend find the workers her father needed.”
Damned traitor.”
David made it possible for the construction to continue that we tried to stop.”
It can't be that my own son is capable of anything like this.”
I'm sorry, Godfather. Know that you can always count on me for whatever you ask.”
The doctor came in.
Mr Gómez-Luna, I have good news. Your wife is much better. The tests are good, she had a good night, and is much better. She can go home in the morning. But before I release her I have to be assured that she is psychologically recovered. I need to make sure she's calm. Remember that family problems can raise her blood pressure.”
Well, don't worry. Julia will be well at home and she won't be needing a psychologist.”
If she doesn't talk to him, I can't release her. I will send for him.”
Eladio looked genuinely confused. He and Franco shrugged at each other.

Gabriela visited Julia. She told her that Franco had seen Arturo enter her room. Julia became upset. Before they could say more about it the doctor came in with Dr Muniz, the psychologist.
Your doctor wants me to evaluate whether you can be released tomorrow.”
You mean I have to go home?”
The monitor began beeping.

How can you be sure of what you're saying?” Arturo asked. “I don't know if this is some plan of Eladio's.”
No, sir. I don't do or want anything from my father other than to accept Regina as my girlfriend.”
That doesn't prove anything.”
Dad, don't be so hard on David.”
Arturo smiled at her and caressed her face.
Regina, you're dad is within his rights to question this, but sir, frankly, I don't know what I have to do to prove the honesty of my intentions. The only thing I have now is my word.”
Yes, yes, that's true. But finally, it's the word of a Gómez-Luna.”
Excuse me, sir, but I'm more than my name. If you want to judge me, then do so. But I have nothing of value. All I have is my mother's love. That's the only thing of value among the whole thing between the Montenegros and the Gómez-Lunas. I don't want to be a part of that.”
Me neither,” said Regina. She went to David's side. “I don't want to be part of that conflict. David and I are prepared to face anything to stay together.”
And you would do this against me?”
I love you, Dad, but if that means leaving David, my happiness will be incomplete.”
You are prepared to do something to demonstrate your intentions?” Arturo asked David.
Anything you ask, sir, except betray my father's trust. Because if I do that I couldn't look her daughter in the face.”
I'm not against you being in love with each other, but there are many things to separate you and few to nurture. Your mother will not take this well.”
I know she won't like it. I don't want to create any problems for you.”
Don't worry, I will do what's necessary, but you two won't have it easy.”
We know, sir, but despite that I want to be with your daughter.”
Me, too, Dad. I love David and want to share my life with him.” She turned around to face her father. “And I hope you can do something to make peace with his father.”
No, that's impossible. Nobody can reason with Eladio. The only thing that can end it is one of us puts the other out of business. David, your father hates me and loves you. Prepare yourself for many more incidents worse than this.”
As I said, Regina and I are willing to face it.”
Good. Let's see if something happens to make you change your mind.”
Dad, we could have hidden this, but we didn't want to cause any more problems.”
Sir, I'm not going to lie. The problem with my father is impossible. There's no way to convince him. On the other hand, my mother wants me to be happy.”
Really? Daughter, do you think your mother should pay for those broken plates of your relationship?”
Yes, sir, to be honest, it's the only thing I'm worried about,” said David. “I also want to talk to you about my mother.”
Okay.” He looked at Regina. “Can I talk alone with David?” She nodded and he thanked her as she left them alone in the office. They sat down.
What do you want to talk about?”

Why were you in the hospital the other day? Why were you so interested in seeing my mother?”

Labels:


Comments:
Wonderful UA. So appreciate all the stellar detail. Not able to watch much with people in and out and the boys home for the holidays. I caught two scenes last night, so this filled in nicely.

Hurray the kids came clean. I do like the fact they aren't going to be sneaking behind everyone's back through the whole tale, and this burst Franco and Dani's balloon, which is icing on the cake. Honestly, these two should have fessed up and then got out of Dodge as they say. But now I can see that Julia will be the hold that keeps David around.

Eladio is still an idiot and dangerous.

Sorry, Nina is a walking mannequin who thinks she's better than anyone without her standing. Get over yourself woman.

Miguel should put his big boy pants on, get gainful employment and move out. Connie should divorce that bug-eyed idiot Erick and then Artie can help her financially, and pull the plug on Erick. THink that would be appropriate.

As for Julia and Artie--I see what the writers are trying to do. They are playing these two as the great loves who were separated by past errors and we are supposed to root for them to once again find their true love. Me, I want to slap them both silly. I think times have changed, and we're seeing this story from a different viewpoint then maybe the way shows were written before. Or maybe the writers just aren't doing a very good job to make us cheer for these two. But right now, I kind of got nothing with these two because of past and current behavior, especially Artie.

Can we seriously start moving Gaby away from Franco. And Augustin needs a plot and some major screen time away from Artie scenes.

Daisynjay


 

Great job, Urban! I hope you're feeling better.

Regina and David did a great job standing their ground and making their case for being together. Eladio looked like he was at the point of telling David that Gina might be his sister at the end of their argument. Guess he'll use that little bomb when he thinks it's convenient. Just like I'm sure Franco will eventually use his info on Art visiting Julia in the hospital when he thinks it's convenient.

Not sure if Art has decided to do what Julia asked and put aside their feelings, in order for their children to have a relationship. Their job now is to help Regina and David have the relationship they didn't, not to try to rekindle their flame.

What Art asked David is if he thinks it's right for his mother to pay for the broken plates (los platos rotos) of his relationship. Meaning, that she pay the consequences (with Eladio). I would argue that it is David and Regina who are paying the consequences of their parents' twisted relationships.
 

Daisynjay- Miguel does have a job teaching at the university, and when he wanted to move out Art stopped him and begged him to stay. But the way things have exploded now certainly means he should move out, for his own peace of mind. Why stay in that house with all those people who despise him?

Connie should just go to Art's office and explain everything to her. Like a sane person, he won't immediately assume she's a who're because her mother was a prostitute, or that it was some great crime that she never revealed she was raised in a brothel until she was eight. They all knew she spent most of her youth in an orphanage. He might have some more questions about her and Miguel once he realizes that Miguel is indeed in love with her. But I don't think he'll believe that they had an affair. Art will make sure she and his grandchild are taken care of.

This will for sure be the next big battle between Nina and Art. And of course the Regina and David relationship.
 

Typos: Explain everything to HIM. And tablet has a problem with the word whore. It's not who're. LOL.
 

Thank you UA.

David and Regina waited a month to see if the relationship was real and see nothing unreasonable, in fact maturity. Julia and Art are fearful the relationship between Regina and David will complicate theirs. Though I don't like Art he is the one parent more accepting of the four but is aware his acceptance will be a poke in the eye of Eladio so right on. Julia needs David around as a human shield. Nina has no valid argument and the odd one out. Eladio is willing to destroy David to punish Julia and David is the one most at risk especially since he helped Regina secure the workers in direct conflict with his fathers plans. How many lives does David have? He foiled Eladio's plan after the accident by telling the truth and now by honestly helping the woman he loves runs afoul his daddy again.

The whole Erick, Connie, Miguel, Ratt thing is stupid.
 

Gracias, all, and to you, Vivi, for that correction.

I don't see these situations as mutually exclusive. Under better circumstances it would still be dicey, but there is no good reason for Julia to have to stay in the prison of a seriously abusive relationship which has now escalated into an abusive household. While Arturo is always blamed for Eladio's rage, I don't think it would be any different if there were no past relationship between Arturo and Julia.

As I've said before, Julia is a trophy to Eladio. She is beautiful and from much older money than he has. Eladio didn't become this abusive psychopath overnight because of any past behavior of hers. He was a sociopath long before this. His flicking of the cigarette lighter is a clue to me that there could be arson in a future episode, probably the construction in Tabasco. He's also an emotional sadist and he acts it out with anyone whom he perceives as weaker than himself. He gets off on this. That's the other reason for marrying Julia: She had already endured years of abuse from her father. That makes her an easier mark than someone who had a good relationship with her father.

We don't know anything about either man's past relationship with his parents. Arturo doesn't mistreat the women in his family or household, so we can safely assume he had a decent relationship with his mother for however long that was. He was a white knight to Julia before the one-night stand that resulted in Miguel. When she broke the engagement ad married Eladio out of spite she had no clue what a snake pit she fell into.

There is an episode of Mujeres Asesinas that I'm thinking of, although the abuse in it is mostly sexual. The woman marries an older man whom she thinks will treat her like a queen, but he begins sexually abusing her in different kinky ways on their wedding night. What Eladio has done is much worse and moreover, her father was an accomplice.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it were Eladio's lighter that caused an explosion with Humberto's oxygen tank?

More later. I have to catch up to YNCELH from last night.
 

Thank you so much, Urban. Your title and photo are especially apt today. This was a joy to read.

I wondered what Franco would do after Gaby took the plunge and confided in him. I was rather surprised that he held back telling Eladio about Arturo's visit, but then, of course, he managed to sow some poison by telling his godfather what he had overheard about David helping Regina organize the workers for the project in Tabasco. I suppose if he had blabbed about Arturo's visit, Eladio would have exploded and Gaby would have realized, once and for all, that Franco is only on Franco's side.
 

I think that Franco is the one who treads the most lightly around Eladio. He's the one who seems to spend the most time with him, so he's the best-qualified to predict his behavior. I'm fairly sure that no matter what or when he would have said about Arturo entering Julia's room he knew there was no way to win that situation:

-- If Eladio had answered the original call and gotten the news directly, he would have shouted "Then what are you waiting for? Stop him even if it means calling security."

-- Had Eladio called back shortly thereafter and Franco told him on the phone, he would have cursed him out and gotten there as fast as possible to deliver more abuse in person.

-- Had he attempted to spy on Arturo and Julia, David and Gaby would have seen him and demanded to know what he was up to. That would have wrecked any chance he'd have to get David's trust and would have destroyed Gaby's.

-- Anything beyond that point would have been worse.
 

Your screen shot was perfect UA. The recap was sensational as always.

“We have to talk.” Regardless of culture or social class, there are no words more effective than these at striking fear in the human heart". Yes, so true and my favorite line.

I cannot believe that I actually felt for Nina yesterday. While Arturo has lied by omission and pulled away without an obvious reason, Nina is contemptible. I was totally horrified by: “No, no, no, no, no,” said Nina. “No way. Relieve yourself of this brat and her spawn.” It's bad enough she hates her daughter in law but to utter such vile words about her grandchild!? Color me disgusted.

There should be some small consolation that Arturo took the news about Regina and David rather well, but hate was pervasive throughout last night and there was very little (if anything) to smile about or rejoice in.

Miguel has been bullied (actually tortured would really not be too outrageous of a word) to the point that he must leave the house immediately. I know he wants to protect Connie but even she now appears to be blaming him for her situation. How very sad. Of course I want Connie to leave but we know that will not happen now. I can't fathom what she is clinging to - it is apparent Erick hates her.

UA, ITA with your assessment Eladio (and why he married Julia), particularly: "Eladio didn't become this abusive psychopath overnight because of any past behavior of hers. He was a sociopath long before this".

This episode left me unsettled. And sad.

Diana
 

Thanks, Urban. Great title and recap. The title graphic was perfect.

Of course, Arturo will side with Consuelo and realize even more what a dope he was to be with Nina when he hears her estupideces against Consuelo for something the poor girl had no control over at age 8.

But Consuelo needs to get some dignity and get out of the mansion. Erick is cheating and hiding behind his mother, could care less about the baby, and told Consuelo he loves Montseratt, not her. At least, unlike Eladio, he is not holding Consuelo against her will.

Loved Eladio taking the edge of the bedspread to wipe the Montseratt cooties off his hand - lol.

First, Montseratt is all fight, then she's going for suicide with Erick's photos adorning her body. That didn't seem to be edited well.

Regina is the youngest of the four kids, right?
 

Niecie- No. Daniela is the youngest. Gina is Nina's middle child.
 

No, Niecie; Daniela is the youngest. Regina has a degree and Daniela would probably be a sophomore or junior if she were attending classes. My assessment of the age order of the younger generation is (oldest to youngest):

Miguel
David
Erick
Franco
Regina
Gabriela
Daniela

As for Monserrat, I actually wondered whether Eladio would have set the blanket on fire.

WTF was that with the lighter in the hospital, anyway? One would think that smoking would be banned in hospitals all over the planet because of oxygen tanks, chemicals, allergies, and any number of other things it's hazardous to.

Personally, I think she did the suicide attempt by half-measure for show. Here's how I would have written that description:

The superintendent unlocked the door and Aldo ran in. He went into shock at the sight of Monserrat Moret, who was sprawled on the couch as though she were being photographed for Vogue. Her makeup was perfect, every false hair was in place, and she was clutching photos of herself with Erick Montenegro. Had Eladio Gómez-Luna found her instead he would have called the tabloids before an ambulance could get there, watched the pieces fall, and gotten a laugh while doing so. This delay would make his future murderous intentions all the stronger next time. Aldo made the ambulance call and cleaned up the scene before it got there. He paid the super a few pesos hush money and then stole Monserrat's copy of Valley of the Dolls.
 

Vivi, thanks for clarifying.

Now I'm thinking about Daniela in a new light. She's never been stupid, but gets all her confidence from her looks and (near-naked) style. Maybe she's intimidated by her older sister's smarts.
 

Urban, thanks for straightening me out on the ages.
 

Thanks for your recap Urban (and for last week's also). I hope you recover quickly.

Diana summed up my feelings for Nina perfectly - "Color me disgusted." While Artie gaslighting her is horrible, her actions toward others are too much; she is so abusive of Regina, Miguel, and Connie while enabling her own wretched kids. And as Vivi noted, her wildly inappropriate conversation with Dani about her marriage are so creepy.

I know the drama with Connie, Eric, et al is the stuff of tns but like tofie said, its just painfully stupid. Until Connie stops being a doormat...she allowed her "husband" to shake her like a rag doll and then justified his terrible treatment of her. Basta! He continues to degrade and humiliate her. Perhaps the writers are trying to give us a glimpse of what Julia went through with Eladio when they were younger though I think that's giving them too much credit.

Niecie, I also laugh when Eladio wiped off Ratt's cooties on her bedspread. Franco is icky but I look forward to him ratting her out (ha) to his godfather.

We need more of Auggie alone with his own plot outside of his silly boss.
 

Niecie, that's hard to say. The only reason I can think of that would cause Daniela to be intimidated by or envious of Regina's intelligence is that it put Regina in their father's favor. A father is the first man a little girl needs approval from because he is the first example of the opposite sex most girls encounter. In absence of paternal approval or that of an acceptable substitute (like another older male relative) she might look for it in all the wrong places and for the wrong reasons. In Daniela's case she got Nina's approval by being exactly like her vs being like Regina. I wonder how old she was when she made that choice.
 

UA I think that pegs Daniela well. Art likely lavished praise on Regina (not Regina's fault) and paid attention to her but when you have parents that have obvious favorites I can see how Daniela may be envious, act out and turn to her mother.

I'm biased though cause Daniela is a favorite of mine, I'd take her shopping.
 

Art doesn't seem the kind of parent who lavished his kids with praise. Don't think he was paying enough attention. But, yeah, I can see him giving Gina a thumbs up when she brought home straight A-s and a pat on the head and kiss on the cheek, as any parent should. Nothing like the constant ego feeding Nina gives Dani about her looks and general hotness.
 

I've thought of another possibility, not to the exclusion of the above:

Nina's children can't be too far apart in age (despite the miscasting of Erick), so when Regina's teen years happened and the others got on her case for the acne breakouts Arturo must have noticed that. He might have stepped in and told her to not worry about it because it would all be over soon but brains are forever.

What I don't think he would have done is compare the kids to each other in front of them. Not that he's Father of the Year, but it may not have been part of his family experience. We're at 34 episodes now with no mention of siblings and if there were any wouldn't at least one of them be at the company? Or can we expect a black sheep younger brother (played by Pablo Montero) to turn up in a dozen episodes?
 

Urban--You should get sick more often. This was a terrific recap and with so much conversation going in different directions and you were able to capture it all, nuances included. (I was just kidding about getting sick more often.)

My lol moment was Aldo talking Eladio into dropping everything and hurrying to TheRatt's side--because she was at death's door. When he walks in, she's beautifully arranged in the bed, hair in place, not too pale and no after-effects of having her stomach pumped--or whatever they do nowadays. Eladio's reactions were perfect (satisfying for me, that and the cootie-wiping gesture.) Yeah, the lighter bothered me, too. If anything it is a perfect example of Eladio's arrogance and elitism. He surely knows about open flames in hospitals. He's so powerful he can ignore simple fire regulations. Is it my poor memory or does he mainly flip his lighter in TheRatt's presence.

There is nothing more to add about that horrid confrontation between those family members in Consuelo's room. She's the perfect victim. She won't win the argument. Well that and what a little DNA test can prove in about 7 or 8 months.

And speaking of DNA tests, I was sure Eladio was going to blurt out the only way he knew with any certainty would break up David & Gina. However, I sincerely hope, if he does, David and Gina are very smart young millennials and don't take some Eladio-fueled accusation at his word. They should run to the nearest lab and take the test. Maybe that's what held Eladio back, or I could be giving him too much credit. It would certainly put an end to the one thing he can continue to torture Julia with.

It bothers me just a bit that Eladio wouldn't WANT a legitimate son to follow in his footsteps (I know, I know, David marches to a different drummer). I mean, from the time David was a little boy. The fact that he won't acknowledge Franco as an hijo de sangre, tells me he wanted a legitimate child.

It's been 20-some years he's been carrying around this notion of David being Arturo's child, torturing himself as well as Julia, that he probably now believes it to be true. There's no valid explanation why he has not taken the test. Don't throw nerfazos at me, I know we've discussed his reasons before....it's just a tn, it's just a tn.
 

Just a note to add to my pen-ultimate paragraph above...

Eladio not recognizing Franco may have had more to do with his fear of losing Julia over an affair, or rather not making her love him. I can't believe Julia has her head in the sand, though. She's denied him her bed for over 20 years. What would she expect him to do? Maybe affairs were ok, but no progeny, please.
 

A few episodes ago I mentioned Duelo de Pasiones and that toxic father's refusal to take a DNA test. The only valid explanation came much later (maybe even post-Karmageddon), which was that he had a brain tumor which affected his behavior. Since David would have been born on or about 1990 there is no explanation here other than Eladio wanting another weapon to use against Julia.

As far as I'm concerned he stole 25 years of her life she won't get back.

Aldo is very clever when he needs to be, but my feeling is that he will be expendable eventually. It's odd that nobody's been murdered yet.

As for the whole Erick/Consuelo/Miguel thing this is a mirror of Eladio/Julia/Arturo but with a different toxic parent (Nina vs Humberto). I do think Miguel and Consuelo need to leave, but this is not the way it should happen. Arturo will be livid over this and it will add more fuel to his fire.

What will be truly interesting is how he will manage the situation of David and Regina's relationship in the face of Eladio's threats to permanently separate David and Julia, which is currently the one piece of information that Arturo doesn't have.
 

Anita- Julia has said she knows he's had many affairs before the Rat. What ticked her off about the Rat is that she found her with Eladio when they were supposed to be giving their marriage a real chance.
 

Anita, just caught your 2:46 post.

There is no excuse for carelessness with contraception in the last 25 years, so I think you have a point. I'm very surprised neither Eladio nor Arturo were more careful at the time since neither of them are stupid. However, this is always a reliable plot point.

One thing that Eladio will never learn is that you can't make anyone love you. Maybe his parents didn't (we don't know), maybe no woman ever did (we don't know) and certainly David is having trouble with it. You can't buy love, either. He will die not realizing this.
 

Sorry to be so late. I had company today.

Urban---I love your recaps as well as your great character analysis.

It's very late I know so that I will only mention one thing. I kept thinking why is Eladio playing with that lighter. Fire in the future, some place some where? Burn down Arturo's development maybe???

must see tv
the gringo
 

Thanks UA. What a thorough and comprehensive recap.

gringo is right, "It's very late..."

I don't have much to add today, but I'd like to say thanks, Karen.

Carlos
 

Thank you Urban. A wonderful and detailed recap.

Well, Regina and David's relationship is out in the open now. A shame that David and Regina didn't get a chance to tell their fathers about it and they both had to hear about it from other people- although that wouldn't have changed Eladio's reaction to finding out at all.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder