Friday, March 25, 2016

Weekend Discussion: Crimes of Fashion, 4th Edition 3/25/16


There is so much Stürm und Drang among the denizens of the DF upper crust that it seemed appropriate to understand why these emotional conflicts exist. A few of the women in the midst of this conflict might have made their lives better – in their own minds – with better fashion choices. It was only the sudden death of Monserrat Moret that made Nina Perez de Montenegro the main focus of this latest edition. She is no Ann Grenville in money matters and even now still has much to learn of fashion in the world she hopes to stay in.

Thanks to Soledad Romero-Vargas, our fashion critic here at Vanidades, we bring you these fashion felonies. Enjoy.

  • D.D.  



Gabriela clearly doesn't know about the late Victorian Hobble skirt or she would have had that chain removed. The late Monserrat Moret obviously never got anywhere near a chain link fence.

Daniela Montenegro has a lovely neckline, but the half-skirt is truly horrid.

Nina must think herself a ninja. Ah..... no.

A necklace that looks like it was made by prison labor in China. Monserrat was not thinking clearly, but then, did she ever?

Nina Montenegro emphasizes the obvious.

Daniela shows her true colors to a psychiatrist.

Marintia Hernández is no Irma la Douce. And this is not the Playboy Club.

The late Monserrat Moret trying to look innocent. No wonder she didn't have an acting career.

Nina in something I've seen in working-class discount stores.  

Nothing horrible about the necklace or the dress, but they don't belong together.

One person's modesty is another's tacky. This is just ugly, Nina; put it in the rag pile.

This is not ugly, but not appropriate at the breakfast table.

Nina, this might work on Daniela, but not on you. You're not 21 anymore.

Gabriela, we know this wedding was a surprise, but you must have had something better in your closet. We're surprised your uncle didn't send you back up to change.

Dressed for financial business... or monkey business?

Nina, your timing is off again.

and again.

Busy prints are really tacky.

Daniela, that dress spells r-a-m-e-r-a.

Consuelo, nothing wrong with the garments, but those colors are horrible together.

That's all for now.  Please leave your comments and follow us on Twitter at #FashionFeloniesDF.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
Urban, I only realized I was laughing and saying “oh no” out loud when a colleague went by me smiling…

The pictures were worth a thousand words but the captions were priceless: “Nina must think herself a ninja. Ah..... no” and “Nina Montenegro emphasizes the obvious” were among my favorites.

I agreed with all of your choices.

Marlene/Nina is truly a beautiful woman. Unfortunately most of her questionable wardrobe choices distracted us from that. Clean lines, elegance and simplicity were all she needed. Unfortunately, Julia cornered the market there – I don’t believe she wore one outfit I did not like.

I am glad you noted Consuelo’s odd pairing of orange and purple. I recall being utterly puzzled watching that scene while murmuring "what was she thinking". Harsh words from the fashion icon I am not. :)

Thank you for a fun way to end the week.

Diana
 

And also, didn't Nina sport a hideous necklace that looked like curtain tassels? That sticks out in my mind. Jewelry was not her strong suit.

Diana
 

Yes, Diana. That necklace was in an earlier edition of Crimes of Fashion. If you click on the "weekend" link at the bottom of the article teaser you will see the list of all the weekend stuff back to the beginning.

Marlene Favela might be next in line after Daniela Castro for Fashion Felonies but she has yet to top any of DC's worst. Some of the jewelry she wore in LQLVMR was described as "frightening."
 

Agree with everything Diana said...the pictures were wonderful and the captions were worthy of our Carlos. Especially Nina must think herself a ninja. Ah...no.

You have truly found your stride channeling Dominick Dunne. Time to go on ancestry.com and find out if you're actually related.

And thanks for reminding us about Daniela Castro's tablecloths and frightening jewelry back in la que la Vida me Robó. I used to look forward to each new horror.
 

Thank you Urban and Judy for more enjoyment.

I watched LQLCMR and totally agree "Some of the jewelry she wore in LQLVMR was described as "frightening."

And the tablecloths Judy! Oh my...

Diana
 

Yes, indeed. The tablecloth skirts and dresses were truly inspired by some designer on LSD. Some of her shoes were things of nightmares.

If only I had learned I could write like Dunne when he was still alive. I'd have made a deal ghosting him on society murders and scandals he didn't fictionalize and I'd be rich now.
 

Thanks, UA..tee-hee...These fashion faux pas look even scariermin your screen caps than they did when the ladies were moving around. The photo of Nini as a ninja made me think of my mother who used to wear a white headband in that manner when she was cooking big family dinners or freezing vegetables from the garden to keep the sweat out of her eyes. The family called her Cochise and relentlessly teased her.

And the moral of the story is that less is more. We all have photos from the past that make us say to ourselves "What made me think that Bell bottoms were a good look for me....or anyone?" Therefore, I usually Err on the side of simple , timeless clothes. Like David, I am a big fan of cardigans with a black turtleneck and slacks...maybe a colorful scarf. Regina's cloths look comfy and practical. I'd wear Julia's dresses for dressing up.
 

Urban--I want to commend you for your dedication to the Weekend Discussions. I think I like the Fashion Faux Pas the best, although the Look-Alike contests comes in a close second.

I wonder if Wardrobe actually saw what Nina would look like on the screen in that hour glass get-up. I wonder why the directors didn't send the thing back right away.

The Nina character was supposed to keep us on edge, waiting for the true villain to come forth. The clothes were an excellent substitute!

Susanlynn--I wore Bell-bottoms joyously. After all, sailors looked good in them. My mother, on the other hand, cringed as she sewed pair after pair for me in stretch-knit (in tasteful, solid colors, of course).
 

There was a failed attempt at reviving bell bottoms, but I'm glad it didn't pan out. Only sailors and very tall people can carry those at all.

Nina's wardrobe has demonstrated how declassee she is even when she isn't being bitchy. It's much easier to do this with a female character since there is much less room to do this with clothes on the men in this type of story.

I hope that someone on a comedy series recap team decides to do this. That is where to find the most fashion faux pas.
 

Anita..yeah, I wore Bell bottoms, too, but I probably shouldn't have...along with very short dresses and skirts! Perhaps my most glaring fashion faux pas was a summer top ...all ruffles in the front ..tied around the back of the neck and waist and bare in back. My grandmother asked me where I got it and wanted one. Grammy Ruth was a pip.

 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder