Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Pasión y Poder Martes 4/12/16 #123



Chapter 123: Paterfamilias Redux

Divorce sometimes sounds like an easy solution to a complex problem. The sad fact is that while it solves some problems it creates others. Rich or poor, this is never more true than when the divorced individuals are parents and when they try to compensate for past wrongs. Unfortunately, some become worse instead of better and for others it is too late. – D.D.

David brought Regina a cup of coffee as they waited for news from the doctor. He remembered how she preferred it. Arturo arrived in answer to their call. Before he could ask any questions, much to everyone's discomfort, Eladio and Nina arrived together.
Where is Daniela?” asked Nina.
Why did you come here with Eladio?” Arturo asked her.
Why are you together?” asked David. Eladio held up his hand to halt further questions.


Augustin and Miguel talked about Gabriela and the theft of her inheritance. Miguel asked him whether he told Gabriela that Franco had tried to sell corporate secrets to Arturo.
I had no reason to and besides, she's in love with him. She won't believe it.”
Well, she's sleeping with the enemy. And I doubt she'll be able to reclaim her money from Franco.”
Yes; I doubt that, too. But Gabriela has to convince herself of that. She keeps forgiving his abuses.”
Miguel nodded. This situation was all too familiar.

You've got some nerve saying that,” said Nina.
Excuse me, but if I'm here it's because I was called in to help; nothing more,” said Eladio.
The doctor entered.
Good evening. Daniela is in her room but she's very disturbed.”
I want to see my daughter,” Arturo said, stepping forward. Nina rushed past him.
We would prefer that only one person go in to see her,” said the doctor. Arturo and Nina both insisted.
I promised Dani I'd be with her during this process,” Arturo said.
As if your word was worth anything,” Nina said, viciously.
I'm not going to argue with you,” he answered. “Do you want to leave your lover out here? No? Then therefore –” He passed her right by. “Show me to her room,” he said to the doctor. She obliged.
Nina turned around and looked back at the others. Nobody said a word. Eladio shook his head, indicating that he had no intention of making this situation any worse.

Consuelo was in Nina's room holding and carrying her son, telling him how she wished she could be there with him. She explained that his father was insane and that he was lucky to be so small as to not be aware of this. She promised him that she would eventually take him away from there. Fortunately she stopped talking and kissed his head before Erick walked in.
What are you doing here, Consuelo?” he asked. “Why aren't you respecting the visiting hours we gave you to see my son?”
Petra walked in on the tail end of that presumptuous question. She watched in horror.
To begin with, how the hell long have you been here? Tell me.”

Daniela was in her room, standing next to the bed when Arturo entered.
What happened, daughter?” he asked.
Daddy, you're going to get me out of here, aren't you?” She embraced him and started crying.
No, my love. For your own good, you have to stay.”
No, no, no, Daddy,” she said, backing off. She started kissing his hands. “Please, I swear I won't do this again, I promise. Please.”
Calm down,” Arturo whispered.
I promise I will behave myself,” she said.
It's not a question of promises,” he said. “You need professional help. You need help.”
Daddy,” she almost shouted. “I can get out of this alone. While I have David and my work I want to be well.”
Everyone needs help at some moment in their lives,” he said. “There is nothing bad about that. That doesn't make us weak. Listen to me –” He tried to hold her face in his hands, but she pulled back.
No, you don't understand. If I stay in here, if I'm here any more time I will lose David!”
No, you're not going to lose anyone,” he said. “David is here. Your sister is here, too.”
What? Regina can never take advantage and take him away from me again! Don't you understand? You can't let that happen! You can't!” She was hitting his chest and screaming like a banshee. “Let go of me!” She then pushed him back and ran out the door.
Dani! Dani!” Arturo ran after her.

Well, where is my mother?” Erick asked. He turned around and noticed Petra. “Where is my mother?”
She isn't here. Neither are your sisters,” she said. She went over to Consuelo.
Oh, so it was you who let this happen,” he said, with his usual arrogant air.
No, no, sir,” Petra hesitated.
Don't blame her,” Consuelo said. Obdulio entered with plates of snacks.
Petra and I called because –”
And what is your name again?” Erick asked as though he were looking a dozen yards down at him.
Obdulio.”
Obdulio, Obdulio, or whatever. The question is the same. Which of you called Consulo?”
Enough, Erick! If I'm here it's because your family took Daniela to rehab. She is being admitted.”
Erick looked surprised and far from pleased.

Nina looked at a loss.
Try to be calm,” Eladio told her. “You will see that she's alright.”
What is this with your father and my mother near each other? What is all this, David?” Regina asked.
I don't know. I had no idea this was happening. I promise I'll talk to my father afterward.”
For what? They're going to do what they want. It's evident that we're of no importance and they shouldn't be to us –”
That's what I told you.”
Regina wiped away a tear.
You're right. As long as we're in each other's lives, you and I, please promise me that Daniela and you now will do the best for yourselves and I will forget everything because it's not worth the pain.”
Daniela came running into the area, crying, with Arturo running after her. The doctor was a few paces behind him as Daniela ran to Eladio.
Eladio, you're the only one who can help me,” she cried, as she briefly looked back for her father's reaction. “You won't let them leave me here,” she said. Nina approached her.
Please,” Nina began as she stroked her daughter's hair.
I don't want to lose my job. I can't lose David! I'm afraid of losing everything I love, please!”
Stop, stop,” Eladio said, gently. “You have your modeling job. I've seen many changes in you since you've been with David. Come on, Daniela. You've always shown me that when you want something you get it. The only one who can overcome this addiction is you. Hm? Think about it. You're intelligent. If you keep using drugs you will lose everything you love. For the moment, stay here. It's good for you. And when you come back you'll be the Daniela we all love. The one you want to be.”
She nodded. “Alright.”
Eladio embraced her as though she were his own daughter.
Thank you, Eladio,” she said.
Daughter,” Arturo began. “I'm your father. I will help you. I love you.” He reached out toward her. She answered with a petulant expression and took Eladio's hand.
What a shame that Eladio cares more than you,” she said. She embraced Eladio and he embraced her back. Nina's expression of concern began to evaporate.
Calm down,” he whispered. Daniela then stepped away from him and, ignoring both her parents, headed straight for David. He embraced her. The doctor came over and explained that they would need to establish visiting rules. Limited visitors and under supervision.
My love, it hurts me that we'll be separated,” Daniela told David. “Will you promise that you will miss me, too?”
Yes. But you have to realize that this is the best thing for you. The best for our future. Yes?”
Promise you will never leave me,” she said.
David swallowed and took a breath before saying “I promise you.”
He embraced her, holding her head close. She was unable to see his facial expression, but Eladio could. He knew from that that David wasn't as in love with Daniela as he was trying to be. Regina was behind David and she turned away from the sight and began to cry silently. Whether Eladio could see her reaction or not he shook his head subtly, knowing that what he saw wasn't right.

I never want to lose you, my love,” Franco told Gabriela.
You never will as long as from now on you always tell me the truth,” she said.
I promise you,” he said. He kissed her. “And I'm going to ask you not to say anything to my father.”
And why not? It's my money, you returned it to me, and you're my husband.”
It's that I want to do this alone and show I can manage my own business. It's a question of pride. But if you want to tell...”
It's alright. I understand,” she said. “And thanks for being honest with me.”
So, promise me you won't say anything.”
Don't worry; I won't.”
He kissed her again and grinned to himself as she went into the kitchen.

Later that evening Arturo and Julia had coffee together at her home. He had told her what happened at the hospital.
So then it was Eladio who persuaded Daniela to stay?”
Yes. And Daniela listened to him, and not to me.”
I understand, but the important thing is that Daniela accepted that she needs rehabilitation.”
Yes, yes. Never did I think I would ever be grateful to Eladio.” Julia smiled slightly at this. “I never thought I'd see you have a good impression of him.”
Well, yes. I'm happy that he did this and if I smile it's because you recognize that Eladio did something good in a bad situation.”
Yes. For my children I'm capable of doing a lot of things, including being grateful to Eladio.”
What I don't understand is what he was doing there.”
He came with Nina. You know they're going out. It's their business, but it seems strange they were together when my daughter is having a crisis. As for that, I'll have to discuss it with Nina.”
Well, yes,” Julia did not seem happy about this. “Just as Eladio felt when he saw us together. We'll probably have to try to adjust to seeing him together with Nina.”
I don't know if we can give such considerations.” He closed his eyes for a moment. “I'm sorry; I didn't want to say that. It's that my daughter is sick, I don't know what I'm thinking –”
I know, I know.”
I'm hoping for a lot. I've made so many mistakes I don't know what to do.” He looked at her. “The love I feel for you is the only thing I've done without regret.”

Regina and Jorge sat on the living room floor at the Montenegro home eating pizza. She looked like she was putting mayonnaise on hers. That would have looked very odd in New York.
I couldn't get out of that clinic fast enough,” she said.
Don't worry. Your sister is going to be alright and we're here together.”
It's a shame Daniela is in the clinic. Pity that David will feel so alone.”
Jorge looked as though he knew what was really meant, but did not admit it.

Eladio brought Nina home and they talked about what her children thought versus what was real. They both hoped that her children would understand.
Nina, you are a very attractive woman. You know that. Besides, you are very intuitive.”
She smiled through the reddest lipstick in her makeup closet.
You don't know how much I love hearing this.”
In business we say that a woman with intuition is the ideal partner. It's a shame Arturo passed that up.”
Well, it's a little late for that, but thanks for calming Daniela down. I'll never forget that.”

The next morning Nina took breakfast in the garden with Regina and Erick.
Kids, I'm sorry, things aren't what they look like. There's nothing more to think about. I don't have to give you explanations.”
No. No matter what explanations neither you nor Dad are thinking of the consequences of your actions,” said Regina.
I agree,” said Erick. “You can't be near Gómez-Luna, Mama. Besides, I forbid it!”

Eladio called on Gabriela that same morning to see how things were with her and Franco. She told him they had a disagreement but it was resolved. Eladio was not satisfied with that, wanting to know the details. What were their differences? She hesitated to talk about anything in detail, but told him that if Franco hadn't been his usual self lately it was because of his disappointment that Eladio had refused to recognize him as his son. She told him that he could remedy that easily.

No, no, and no! You can't have anything to do with that wretch!”
Hey, lower your voice and don't talk to Mother that way,” Regina said.
Don't you get it? He's an enemy of this family. He tried to get between Monserrat and me –”
Stop talking about that woman!” Nina shouted at him. “Don't you get that it was her fault that you almost ended up in prison!”
It's Eladio's fault that it got complicated, Mama! Just stay away from him. Full stop!”
You are the last person to give me moral lectures about anything!” She looked from one to the other. “Nothing happened the way you imagine. We are not lovers.”
Mother, just think carefully about what you're doing.”
If I went to see him it was to see if anything happened with Julia and your father and it happened that nothing happened between them.
Nina looked at her out of the corner of her eye. Erick looked petulant, as usual.
Mother, what happened between Julia and Dad isn't important. Stay away from Eladio, please.”
I told you nothing happened! He's only helped me with business.”
This can't be. You're naïve if you do everything he says.”
Well, I remind you that he has much more experience than you do. The difference, my dear, is that he does business with his head, not his hormones.”
Well, stay away from him anyway because Gómez-Luna always does things with an ulterior motive. I will prove that shortly.”
Erick...” said Regina, in frustration, as he left the table. “Mother, I don't think Eladio wants to take advantage of you. But think about it. Is it a good thing to do business with him?”

David left a letter for Daniela at the clinic. The receptionist had an orderly deliver it. As David was about to leave Arturo arrived. Arturo thanked him for helping Daniela and told him that Daniela loved him. Also that he hoped that David truly loved Daniela. He apologised for what else had happened. David looked subtly awkward.

Eladio met with Dr Beck, his new shrink. He was older than his predecessor, possibly old enough to be Eladio's father.
My colleague filled me in on your case.”
Well, I only have to tell you that Julia had only worn her wedding rings for custom's sake.” He demonstrated that she had removed them.
And she deceived you?”
Yes. It was that I still had hope that she would yet want to resume our marriage. That she still felt something for me. It all looks as though she is in an established relationship with Arturo, so it's all over.”
What do you think you will do?”
I'll go on with my life. I will try to keep a promise to Julia to become a better man.”
Why do it if Julia won't know?”
Because I promised her.”
So what is the next step in your life that you will take alone?”
Today I will recognize Franco as a Gómez-Luna.”
Why do you want to recognize your son now?”
Because I think it's time and things are better between Julia and David. Now that Julia knows about Caridad it's pretty much a done deal except for the legal documents.”
And have you told Julia and David?”
Not exactly, but I don't think it will be a surprise because my son and his mother know and Franco has insisted on having my name.”
Did you get how you just referred to Julia?”
Yes. I think that is the only way to think of her, as the mother of my son.”

Julia was in her bedroom, thinking about that encounter. “As you said Eladio, how can I own my freedom if I remember you every minute? How could I have you at my side?”
Simona entered. “Madam, Franco is here.”
Thanks. I'll be right down.”
She met him downstairs in the parlor. Neither of them saw or heard Humberto approaching in his wheelchair. He remained out of the room, as close to the open door as he dared.
Thanks for coming.”
I was really surprised by your call.”
I imagine. I must apologize to you. I understand that what your parents did was not your fault, but your demeanor was not always right.”
Yes, I'm sorry.”
But you know what? I don't want any more rancor. I want your forgiveness. I was very unfair to you.”
Franco grinned. More than was appropriate for the occasion. Had Julia been less nervous and more confidant in her actions she would have realized that this grin was more of a gloat.
Do you forgive me?”
He nodded and embraced her without saying a word, grinning over her shoulder.
Godmother, I'm glad you accepted me back into your life.”
Franco, when you arrived at this house I swear I loved you like a son. When the relationship cooled –”
I want to think that's over. I'm grateful you didn't create differences between David and me.”
I just want things to bet good between us again.”
They embraced. Humberto listened as carefully as a hunting dog waiting for prey.
I'm very grateful you've accepted me,” Franco said.
And what are you talking about, Franco?” asked Humberto as he entered.
My godmother said she accepts that I'm innocent of my father's deception,” he answered. “We're family once more.”
Is that true, daughter?”
Yes, Father. I'm starting to put all the rancor behind me and go on with my life.”
Ah, I see luck is on your side again, Franco,” said the old man.
Yes, yes, I'm very fortunate,” Franco said. He walked over to Humberto and knelt in front of the wheelchair. “It pleases me very much that you have also accepted me into the family.” He grabbed Humberto's right arm and squeezed it near the elbow. Humberto was in pain, but tried to cover it up.
Ah, of course. Ah, you've demonstrated that you are a valuable man and I'm glad you two have reconciled.”
Everything is alright, Grandpa,” he said as he stood. He grabbed Humberto's shoulders in a hard grip that was not obvious as he moved in for the Judas embrace. “I feel this coming from the heart. Thank you very much!” He grinned again, broader than before and unseen by both Julia and Humberto.
Of course, of course.”
Humberto looked at Franco and Julia and smiled as though nothing was amiss.

David was in his father's office.
I suppose you don't have a problem with me recognizing Franco?”
None. On the contrary, It will be better for Franco. I assumed it was a done deal and good for his future.”
Future? Why?”
If you end up living with Nina –”
Eladio laughed. “What?”
Besides, if she is a business associate, or isn't... I assume we will be in first place in the family.”
If that were the case it would be after a lot of thought. But no, son. Here, between us, listen very well. There is nothing between Nina and me. Nothing but friendship.”

Well, I think Franco would like the security to know that he will have his place with the name Gómez-Luna.”
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad you worry for your brother.” They shook hands.
As you said, he's my brother. Besides, he's dedicated most of his life to this company; I can't doubt it.”
I'm glad you understand and you agree. Between Nina and me there's nothing. There will never be anything because the only woman I have ever loved is your mother. Always.”

Daniela sat in the garden of the rehabilitation center and read David's letter:

It was brave of you to see through the rehabilitation, mischievous one. I know it won't be easy but you can count on the help of those who love you: your family, my father, and me. I know you are strong but not for us but for yourself. I want you to fight you because if you overcome this you will have another life. A much better life. Much fuller, happier, depending on nothing and nobody. Keep fighting, Dani. I ask you again. I beg you. I love you [te quiero] very much. David.

She looked thoughtful as she folded the letter. A moment later she silently mouthed “I love you.” [Te amo] She smiled.

Papa, you can't let Mama go near Eladio Gómez-Luna. You can't let her!” Erick said in his father's office.
I can't forbid her anything; we're divorced.”
Well, at least you could cite the reason that she is a shareholder. I don't know... you could say that Eladio might defraud her.”
I can't always assume that Eladio will hurt Nina.”
Well, then what do you think you can do, Papa?”
For the moment, just remain alert. Make it clear to Eladio that he can't interfere with us.”
Alright,” said Erick. He looked disappointed.

Regina and Jorge arrived at the Fiesta Americana in Monterrey. He was eager to begin working on it. Regina looked a little melancholy, which he didn't fail to notice. David arrived shortly thereafter, just in time to see them enter with Jorge embracing Regina from behind. It bothered him.

Eladio was working in his office and paused as Arturo entered.
I hope you're not here to fight about Nina. I'm tired; I'm not in the mood.”
No, no, Eladio. I'm here to express my gratitude for the help you gave Daniela. I know it's because she's David's girlfriend, but I want to thank you.”
You're mistaken. I did it because of the affection I have for Daniela. What I did I did out of good will.”
Arturo nodded. “Excuse me.” He stopped himself on the way out. “Good will? Excuse me, but I have my doubts about your 'good will' regarding Nina.”
Let me make something clear. Nina is outside of our war.”
Alright. If you're with her I will take that to mean that you have resigned yourself to Julia being with me and that you finally faced that she never stopped loving me.”
Eladio laughed. “No, Arturo; don't be mistaken. If Julia isn't with me, it's not about you. It's about my past errors. Julia came to love me much more than you would believe.”
What a shame you keep deceiving yourself. I think you will accept defeat –”
Defeat?”
So it's no. So I'm going to ask you, even beg you, not to use Nina against me. It could happen.”
Eladio smiled and shook his head.
Nina and I are involved in a business that won't include you.”
Arturo laughed. “But I don't believe you. I know you. Really.”
For the moment. You know I will end that smile. She has a lot of potential for business.”
May I?” Arturo asked, indicating the chair. Eladio gestured and he sat. “Nina is very intelligent. I taught her something about negotiation, but managing money...”
Well, that sounds good. I respect your opinion. But you lost a talented woman and above all something you know isn't easy to find. Intuition.”
Yes, you're right. I know her after twenty-five years of marriage. You're looking to use her to get information about my businesses.”
No. The only thing that interests me is doing business. And with her intuition all it needs is a little more luck.”
Luck? I'm sorry, but one moment you said that business doesn't run on luck, but on knowledge, audacity.”
No. As you would say, knowledge, audacity, and with her, luck.” He laughed. “It's a shame, Arturo. You lost something potentially valuable and all for what? For the fantasy of pursuing my wife? In the belief that she didn't stop loving you?”
It's a reality and in time I will show you.”
But I think you're mistaken. We're not fighting over a prize.”
Of course not. We're talking about love. The love of my life. And the love of her life.”
Well, then, good luck.”
They smiled insincerely at each other, as though they were about to begin a final chess game in a tournament.

Yemilé was showing Regina and Jorge around when David caught up to them. Most of the planned work had been completed and the client was pleased. There was considerable awkwardness when Yemilé commented on what a good team they had been. Jorge seemed to be aware that this awkwardness would not go away, but carried on.

Julia was seeing her shrink.
I told Franco he would be recognized. That he has no guilt about what his parents did. Eladio and Caridad. He was a victim of circumstance and has been very affected by this.
In a way, you're right.”
For this reason I decided to get closer to him again.”
And how do you feel?”
Good. I feel very good. Much calmer because the rancor hurt me very much. Besides, the only thing left is to be finally say goodbye to Eladio.”

At that same moment Eladio was alone in his office. He took off his wedding ring and put it on a short chain with Julia's.

Gabriela entered Augustin's office. She brought him cookies she had baked to thank him for his help. She told him all was well. He invited her for coffee, but she took a raincheck until the next day. As she kissed him on the cheek neither realized that Erick saw them as he tried to enter without knocking. He quickly retreated and went directly to Arturo's office.
What is it, son?”
Papa, do you remember how much you were affected when I was leaking information about our business to Eladio?”
Yes, of course. It was a big mistake on your part.”
Yes. And later you fired Angeles for passing information to the Gómez-Lunas.”
And what about all that?”
Erick sat down. “It turns out that Augustin is a friend of Gabriela, Eladio's niece. Tell me, Papa, what do you have to say to that?”
What is that about? Augustin has always been loyal.”
Well, I heard him say that tomorrow morning he will tell her everything. Sounds strange to me.” Augustin walked in at exactly that moment. “Glad you're here, Augustin. I want you here in front of my father. Explain everything you said to Eladio's niece.” He was gloating as he said this. “Are you passing on information?”
It's personal matters, Erick,” said Augustin.
Erick, you will allow us a minute, please?” Arturo said.
Erick knew he was being dismissed and for once had enough sense not to argue. He left without a word.
What is happening with Gabriela?”
What I always imagined. Franco has abused her trust.”
He has another woman?”
That I don't know. But that wretch sold her family's factory behind her back.”


Eladio arrived at his shrink's office to see Julia on her way out. He told her he had decided to give Franco his name and that David was in agreement. She mentioned that she had spoken to Franco to get close to him again. Eladio had decided that recognizing Franco was the right thing to do. Julia then noticed that he was not wearing his wedding ring. He showed her that they were chained together and explained that he would always have them in the hope that he will be lucky and they would be together again. She smiled with a hint of sadness.

Labels:


Comments:
Urban, this was lovely. Richly textured and beautifully written.

"Paterfamilias Redux" indeed.

Tonight, there was a rare semblance of maturity. Eladio and Julia exhibited thoughtful processing of events and situations. Some delusional (Arturo's perception of Julia's love and Julia's acceptance of Franco) but there was not much rancor and divisiveness. Everyone banded together to help Dani despite wounded pride (Arturo).

Eladio putting his and Julia's rings together was symbolic and touching. His love for Julia is eternal and it's just a question as to whether she will put her pride aside and accept what her heart is telling her.

Dani is vulnerable and is so dependent on David's love and support. His affection for her will never rise to the height of his love for Regina. But like Eladio and Julia, can the hurt and pain from their past ever be alleviated so they can move on?

Erick's whining demanding persona is annoying and upsetting. Hurry up and die please Erick.

Will Franco's coronation be short lived? His swindling and lies will no doubt shortly be revealed. Perhaps it is Augustin who will finally open Gaby's eyes.

Thank you again UA.

Diana
 

Thank You Urban, Very much appreciated.

David: It is now or never. Bail if you have ANY sense at all. She can't even for the time being come hunt you down.

This might be a wasted lesson on her, but she might realize if you mess up again, and again, and again, sometimes there are unhappy repercussions.

Are Elad and Farturo going to go have a beer and compare notes?
 

Re Auggie: Eyes or knees.
 

As always, the opening illustration and prologue were pure gold UA. You put so much time and care into your recaps.

Some favorite quotes:

She smiled through the reddest lipstick in her makeup closet and

Humberto listened as carefully as a hunting dog waiting for prey.

Like my friend Diana, I was happy to see both Julia and Eladio trying to be their best selves in this episode.

And sorry to see both Erick and Franco continuing to be their worst selves.

Looks like there will be plenty of fireworks ahead! Thanks as always...beautifully done.
 

Many thanks for an exquisite recap, UA! You always go the extra mile for us.

There is just way too much darn misplaced pride and mind-numbing idiocy in these characters. However, the ones that really grate on my nerves are the supposedly good guys: David and Regina talking about their relationship in Dani's rehab clinic reminded me of vultures awaiting the right moment to swoop in and get their meat; Julia pining for Eladio in private but continuing to feed Arturo's false hopes; Arturo provoking Eladio when he was supposed to thank him for his help with Dani...

There are times when I feel sorry for Arturo (or more accurately, Jorge Salinas's sad puppy eyes get me), however, he always always manages to infuriate me a second later. For example, in the clinic, I couldn't believe my ears as he blurted out "But I'm your dad!" when his daughter ran to hug Eladio. Was that really the right time to think in terms of rivalries? The same thing went down when Arturo visited Eladio's office to "thank him", all he did was insult and provoke him. That whole "accept your defeat ("derrota" is such a cool word!)" speech was just cringe-worthy! Arturo is bragging about a relationship he doesn't have! That woman has been stringing him along for ages! You know what's more pathetic than kissing and telling? NOT kissing and telling!

Although I still resent the writers for taming my sexy evil beast, Bad Boy Eladio, I gotta admit that his wedding rings stunt did tug at my heartstrings. What can I say? I'm weak!

One minor rectification: "decepcionar" and "deceive" are false friends. "decepcionar" actually means "to disappoint".

Have a great day, everyone! :)
 

-- A quote from the capítulo --

“[...] decidí unir las argollas para así poder tenerlas cerca del corazón. Y aquí van a estar siempre conmigo, por si, algún día,
no sé, me das la oportunidad de volver a ser el hombre más afortunado; y esperando la remota posibilidad de que nos pudiéramos volver a casar.”
*

* Eladio bamboozling me with hotness: “[...] I decided to join the wedding rings together, that way I could keep them close to my heart. And here they will always stay with me, in case, some day, I don’t know, you give me the opportunity to go back to being the luckiest man; and [the rings will be] waiting for the remote possibility that we might get married again.” After such a swoon-worthy declaration, Julia should’ve grabbed Eladio by his tie and dragged him behind her: “That’s it! Have Callao pack your crap! You are coming home with me!”

argolla = wedding ring (interestingly, it can also mean “shackle”). Off the top of my head, other synonyms I’ve come across are “anillo / sortija / alianza / aro de matrimonio”. If you can think of others, please share them with the group.

remoto(a) = distant, remote.
 

Thank you UA, always well done.

" The difference, my dear, is that he does business with his head, not his hormones.”

Who would have thunk it, Nina the sage.

Not good Dani hangs her sobriety and reason to live on David and fear, unlike Eladio who has not self destructed over losing Julia, when David goes back to Regina she's done for.

Gaby must like him a little and went far above what was necessary by baking cookies for Agustin. Dog poo in a sugar cone with sprinkles would have made his day.

JORGE THERE'S A STEAMROLLER BEHIND YOU LOOK OUT!

 

Thanks UA!!! So many great lines!!

So far so good with the new shrink. Can we hope that the only reason we switched is because the actor got a better job and not because the writers are pulling something?

If David and Regina are end game, I don't know what will happen to Dani. She is holding on to him for dear life and there aren't enough episodes for her to pull herself together completely and realize she is holding on for the wrong reasons. Or is there? I can't see it.

So Franco is about to have everything he wants and hopefully he loses it all 100 times more quickly.

I thought when Julia confronted Eladio about his wedding ring he was going to come up with some excuse about her taking her's off etc. but he was honest. Touched my heart and her's! Damn I hope those two end up back together.
 

Diana, Augie can only open Gaby's eyes as much as she wants. She refused to believe Franco tried to extort Art. At this point I think Mari would have to show up with the baby and proclaim it Franco's for her to open her eyes and even then maybe not. I'm definitely with you at the die Erick die table!

Nandicta, agree I thought Art was pulling some kind of power play on Dani, making her choose between him and Eladio. Talk about awful timing. Art is obviously delusional about Julia's feelings. What in the world will happen to him if she goes back to Eladio? He has upended his entire world over a fantasy. I'm not sure Nina would even want to pick up the pieces at this point.

tofie, I feel bad for Jorge. He has done everything to try to be a good boyfriend. Also, he seems genuinely nice and hard working. I wish Regina would let him go instead of using him to forget David. He deserves better than that.


 

Both Regina & Julia want the men they dumped to kiss their asses and stay beholden to them while they go off with whoever they want. Then they get upset when they see their men talking & perhaps interested in another woman. That's not how it works. If you dump him, he can take up with whomever he pleases and you will deal.

Arturo is the same way. I think he wants Nina sitting at home crying & pining for him and that's not how it works.

In addition, we keep seeing Arturo rolling up in Eladio's office to taunt him and he needs to stop.

With the way Arturo keeps coming for Eladio, it makes me wonder if Eladio really did embezzle from Grupo Montenegro, or if Arturo was jealous of Eladio & trumped up some allegations against him to get rid of him.

Similar to Erick trying to get rid of Agustin by claiming Agustin is the one passing corporate secrets to Eladio via Gaby.


 

This is definitely a set-up episode because there are still too many secrets and actions pending. I strongly doubt, for example, that Franco officially becoming a Gomez-Luna will make him change his mind about his revenge and his hostile take-over. He's too far down that road for a U-turn.

While the letter said "te quiero" rather than "te amo," David might not be able to avoid that nasty little man-trap, Daniela.

Regina has not boinked Jorge and hasn't made any promises to him. She will survive, with or without David.

Erick is far too full of himself and definitely is riding with the saddle cinch cut halfway through. While I don't expect that he should have known anything about Augustin's attraction to Gabriela (which I still don't understand) he should have known better than to try to get him out of the way with this kind of an accusation. Augustin has been Arturo's best friend since before Erick was born. Ape Child should also have known better than to bring up the Rat's name at the breakfast table. How could he forget Nina catching him with his pants down in Tabasco and the verbal lashing she gave him about this? He is in no position to judge anyone's behavior.

Getting back to Franco's situation: It would be very ironic if Mateo doesn't turn out to be Franco's child after all. That would mean that Marintia got the better of him at least so far. However, her attitude and her willingness to do evil in the name of ambition will bring her down along with Franco.

I can picture Augustin investigating the sale of the factory and uncovering the truth. I'm sure that the check Franco gave Gabriela was for half or less than half of what the factory sold for. This will not be easy news for him to deliver because unless she has caught Franco in another lie or en flagrante delicto with Marintia she won't believe it.

More in another post.
 

Thank you, Urban. This was a delight to read.

"Had Julia been less nervous and more confident ... she would have realized that this grin was more of a gloat."

Yes, nicely observed. Franco's evil gloating grin kind of makes you wish for a nerfazo to hurl at that screen :D Even so, I wish the actor knew how to modulate/moderate his expression a bit. I always find his scenes kind of tedious.

Erick is such a loser. He tries to tattle on Agustín and ends up being sent to his room (figuratively speaking).

When Julia told the shrink how good it felt to rid herself of that resentment towards Franco, she looked as if she felt anything but good. In fact, she looked miserable. (I love the fact that the principals here are all good enough actors to add these little nuances. I think that's what makes this particular novela stand out, at least for me.)
 

thanks, UA.

I have not finished reading the recap and comments yet, but I had to let you know that from here on out , I am calling Auggie ..Cookie . The guy is magically delicious. He has it all . He is intelligent, handsome, and attentive, and he seems to have a moral compass. What a boy scout. He probably owns a real compass, too. That hopeless devotion to Gaby has got to get him a reward.

Nandicta...You always give me the giggles. Unlike you, a prefer FC as a good beast.
 

Anon....yes, once you set something down..somebody may come along and pick it up. #sosadtoobad
 

Arturo was not pulling a power play in the clinic; Daniela was manipulating the situation on purpose when she went to Eladio and looked back at Arturo. She is still trying to guilt-trip him over favoring Regina and about not giving her the job she wanted in his company. Considering that she had never shown any sense of responsibility during her entry-level job she was in no position to make the demand she did. A brief digression:

This is probably one of the main reasons that in the US family-owned companies usually do not go through many generations of the founding family. It is estimated that only 20 or 30% even remain in the hands of the children of the original founder. Many successful family business owners have children who become interested in other things and want their independence, at least initially (David, Miguel, and Regina) while others develop a sense of entitlement (Franco and Daniela) or become totally entitlement-minded screw-ups (Erick).

In this example we have two large corporations where the stakes are much higher and the two CEO-fathers have their paternal errors to deal with, which can trickle down in corporate repercussions:

Eladio was forced to acknowledge David and now respects him and his work. This had to happen to get David to work for him. He raised Franco to be his Mini-Me and will have to deal with the consequences. While Franco was in the catbird seat for much of his life to getting 20% of the company (Million$) this isn't enough for him. He has the same appetite for power as Eladio but is unlikely to be as effective. This could be about his youth but it's more likely to be about how far ahead he is capable of looking. We can clearly see here that he has not done this in his personal life, so it's not a stretch to see that he isn't yet capable of seeing the distant picture in his professional life even without what he is currently trying to do.

Arturo's family situation is more complicated because of there being four children. Also, Nina's influence seems to have been stronger than Julia's. She emotionally abused Miguel and favored Daniela over Regina. Miguel became introverted and nerdy, the latter of which has benefitted him professionally. He's now the head of IT at GM. Regina is a responsible person who excelled in her studies and is now a talented architect who proved herself independently. She earned her position at GM. Since she and Daniela can't be more than a year and a half apart in age we can make the assumption that their distinguishing traits came about at almost the same time, which determined their positions as Arturo's golden child (Regina) and Nina's Mini-Me (Daniela).

That leaves Erick, whom Nina was grooming to overshadow Miguel. The problem with that is the sense of entitlement she raised him with has made him lazy and selfish. He does things without thought of any consequence, even short-term, and thinks money can fix everything. What is also truly scary about him as a person is that despite Nina's favoritism and having two sisters he has no respect for women. He married Consuelo then treated her like garbage. He seems to think he had the right to cheat on her with the Rat, for whom he sold secrets to the enemy.

Arturo's biggest mistake was letting that slide. His punishment for Erick should have been a bigger demotion or permanent exile to Tabasco if he didn't want this to become a public legal issue.

Daniela showed no sense of responsibility when she worked for her father. She thought that Daddy would never punish His Little Girl. Since Eladio was not only not her father but had a rep for being tough she couldn't get away with being The Problem Child to get attention. She had to actually work. That she has Daddy Issues became more than obvious when she took up with Assmore, who is older than Arturo and Eladio.
 

Uhoh..poor Art.."Everybody likes Eladio better than me."
 

I don't think Daniela was pulling a play on Arturo; I think she would've run to Nina first.

Eladio knows her problems, Eladio has spoken with her several timesabout her being able to keep her job while seeking help, her taking all the time she needs to get better and have her job waiting for her etc. Eladio has been tough but fair with Dani and I believe she respects him for that.

Daniela has also said several times to Eladio when Arturo was nowhere in sight, that she wishes Eladio were her dad or that her dad was more like Eladio.

The first thing Arturo did when Dani ran to Eladio was whine "But *I'M* your daddy!"

But sir, it's not about YOU, it's about Daniela. Perhaps if you had not ignored, dismissed or only paid attention to Daniela when she screws up, she'd be running to you, not to Eladio.
 

"I am calling Auggie ..Cookie . The guy is magically delicious. He has it all . He is intelligent, handsome, and attentive, and he seems to have a moral compass. What a boy scout. He probably owns a real compass, too".

susanlynn, you've just brightened my day. Excellent :)

Diana
 

Diana..you're welcome. You so often brighten mine!
 

Normal people often confide more in non-relatives than in their parents. It's part of becoming independent of one's family of origin. In this case Daniela might be feeling that Nina is reaching her breaking point on her issues. She could also have issues with the idea of Nina being involved with Eladio that she hasn't realized yet.

Nina isn't without fault either. She often left little Daniela (as in when she was a young child) with the nanny while she went out lunching and shopping with her "friends." It could be that Daniela doesn't trust Nina to be able to deal with the difficult stuff.

Now, what's with all the purple? The pocket square on Arturo makes sense because of his "lucky tie" (which he wasn't wearing) but now Franco has a purple tie. Must say I love the color.
 

Official Secrets List:

Consuelo's (from most people): Prostitute mother/raised in a brothel before being in the orphanage Revealed That she left the house after coming home the night of the murder and was MIA during the rest of the party. Status quo; Raped by Erick Revealed before a judge and Augustin, now known to the family
Arturo's (from his family): That he had a great love before Nina plus his secret meetings with Julia (First now known but not the second... yet) Details of the second not known yet; bribing of witness to not identify Erick the night that Orkin came to call Known to Erick and Augustin, suspected by Eladio; that Humberto told him that Franco was Eladio's bastard. see below; that Franco tried to sell out GLA to him Now known to Augustin and Gabriela; that he will give worthless shares to Humberto (known only to Augustin) Status quo
Humberto: That he told Arturo about Franco. Now known to Eladio and Franco
(from everyone): That he is blackmailing Franco for 20% of his current assets for keeping silent about the sale of the factory. Status quo That his “running into” Arturo in Vegas was pre-arranged and no accident. Status quo
Eladio (from Julia): All his affairs and crooked deals (she now knows about the first but not the second) Some secrets still pending; his entire past (possibly included in foregoing)
Erick (from Consuelo): His affair with the Rat Revealed; (from everyone): his hiring of thugs to beat up Franco Status quo: (from everyone) what really happened the night that Orkin came to call Status quo (known only to Pedro, but the nurse could ID him): That he is behind the kidnapping scheme Status quo; That Nina bribed the judge to rule in his favor in the custody case currently under suspicion by Miguel, Consuelo, Arturo, Regina, and Augustin That he raped Consuelo Revealed before judge and Augustin during custody hearing
Bribing doctors to say he was more seriously injured by Miguel than he was. Discovered by Regina and proven by doctors contacted by Arturo
Gabriela :(from Julia): That she knew six months before the wedding that Franco is Eladio's son Status quo
Franco: That he was cheating on Gaby with Marintia and now the baby is born Currently known only by Caridad, Eladio, and Daniela ; (from Julia): That he knew six months before the wedding that he is Eladio's son; (from everyone) his hiring of thugs to cut the brakes of Erick's car (same thug as the one who beat him); tried selling GLA out to Arturo (but got caught) Known to Augustin and now Gabriela; bribing Angeles for inside info on GM (possibly known to Eladio) confirmed by Augustin to Arturo
Daniela (from everyone except Nina and Erick):: That she is boinking Assmore Currently suspected by Augustin and Arturo; David seems to have forgotten; (from everyone): That she knows about Marintia and Franco and the baby Status quo (from all except Lulis): That she bribed a medical lab for false drug test results. Status quo
– New (nobody knows yet): That Assmore gave her a stash of cocaine
Nina: Details of her past beyond her brief acting career. Status quo that she has been meeting with Eladio Public meeting announced in gutter press that she bought off the judge to rule in Erick's favor in the custody battle currently under suspicion by Miguel, Consuelo, Arturo, Regina, and Augustin; Status quo
Marintia (known only to Caridad, Eladio, Franco, and Daniela): Pregnancy and birth of son; Paternity of child Now known to Angeles and Marcos, otherwise status quo

Revised on 4/12/16 following episode 123.
 

Dani has only seen a small slice of Eladio to wish he were her dad. She reminds me of the kid who thinks her own parents are losers, and prefers the cool teacher to them. Most kids finish with this stage by the time they graduate high school. Arturo had been an absentee parent in the past, but Dani never misses an opportunity to stick it to him. Urban, ITA Dani running to and hugging Eladio and then looking back at her dad was a deliberate snub of Art. She wants to hurt Art like she feels he hurt her.

Lucky David gets a girl with both addiction and daddy issues.

Eladio's two rings close to my heart speech made me stop in my tracks. Swoon! Nandicta, thanks for that dialogue.
 

Urban, I forgot to thank you for a fabulous recap!
 

Like I've said before, some things never change, with Dani at the head of the class. I have known a saddening number of real Danis and Daniels.

"Welllll, I WOULD change if it were MY fault."
 

After the 'two rings by my heart" I think I have a Man Crush.

Yes, poor Dave, Daddy issues can be a handful by themselves, coupled with substance abuse, I say run very fast and far.
 

Another super recap---you have us spoiled Urban.
Line after line was outstanding but as usual, I seemed to like what others also liked. It is rare however that I would read the comments before the recap and therefore gather up ideas ahead of time. No, the great lines that I pick out are my likes and not the influence of others.

Erick asked with his usual arrogant air. That's so true when speaking of Erick. Arrogant says it all.

She smiled through the reddest lipstick in her makeup closet. It's so ugly. I wonder
if the actress chooses the color/shade or if the makeup department chooses for her?

This grin was more of a gloat---yes definitely.

Humberto listened as carefully as a hunting dog waiting for prey. ---That guy is always lending an ear to a conversation isn't he? I'd like him to get caught at it.

Urban 11:32AM---Perfect, just perfect.

I agree with everyone that the two rings on a necklace next to his heart was something special. How can Julia end up with Arturo after that?

How are the writers ever going to get David out of the mess that he has gotten himself into? If he breaks up with Dani to run back to Regina, that will send Dani off the deep end and if Dani somehow dies to make the way for David to go back to Regina---would Regina ever be able not to wonder if she really wasn't just second choice. Even if David were to tell her no never, there would always be doubt wouldn't there? Isn't he locked into a no win situation?

must see tv
the gringo
 

Kirbo..."Man crush"...tee-hee..How could you not have a man crush after those sweet sentiments.
 

Agree Gringo, I don't see how David and Reg end up together. If we were only halfway through the TN then Dani would have some time to recover and become her own woman and stand on her own two feet. Then she and David could breakup without her hurling herself off a bridge but not enough time to put humpty dumpty back together.
 

Regina just wants David to want her. Soon as David dumps Dani, Regina's games start again. If it's not Jorge orbiting there will be another poor sad sap professing his love she'll date.
 

UA, Excellent recap. Almost like an ending and a beginning. There is going to be some disapointment coming. I don't
Think Arturo is going to be as happy as he hopes. Hes trying to relive the past. He's not the love of her life anymore. But he is the love og nina's life.

There is so much to say about this mixed up mix of people. I don't know what will happen to get david and gina back together, I just hope it doesn't envolve a tragedy. Erick is such a child. He runs to daddy to tell on auggy, really? Grow the hell up already. And he forbids his mother, she should have slapped him upside the head and sent him to his room.

So glad david reminded regina of what she has finally come to realize. "Momies and daddys are grown-ups they can
Manage their own problems, it shouldn't come between us". well that's kind of what he was saying I just changed it a little bit. But its comin down on her hard, cuz now, she sees what a big honkin booboo she made kickin boyfriend to the Curve. Listening to her selffish daddy.

I will very be happpy when the lights finally come on for juls and gaby cuz they are being super royally snuckered by the jerks in their lives. Maybe gaby will end up with auggy after all. He has beautiful hair. It looks more grayer now than it did two months ago.

Hey has anyone taken a looksee at the new tn on at 2:00 est? "Amor de barrio". Translation "love in the Hood".
 

Tofie, it's Daniela who has been the game player all along. She was the one who dumped David in the beginning then accused Regina of stealing him. She kept coming on to him all during his relationship with Regina except for when they were in Monterrey. Regina should never take him back after this.
 

UA: Daniela playing dangerous games like this is likely going to have deadly results, which is getting much closer as Ashmore just does NOT take "No" for an answer!

Kirby: Erick getting another temper tantrum again!

Looking more & more that Gaby will be with Aguie in the end at this point since her sham of a marriage with Franco is going down in flames!

Tofie: Regina cannot seem to make up her pathetic mind: who does she want ? Jorge the social climber or David ?
 

There is no question that Erick is going down. Whether he goes down in flames or just in prison humiliation is still to be seen. I'd rather see the latter happen. This would be the best outcome because:

1. He's not smart enough to engineer a prison break
2. Kidnapping and endangering his own child and raping his ex-wife will go over like a lead balloon with the other inmates
3. Both parents likely to disown him
4. It gives Consuelo perfect justification to change the baby's name.
5. Don't know what would happen to control of his company shares, but makes a good legal case for transferring control to someone else.

It would be ironic if Franco ended up in the same prison, but somehow I have the feeling that his end will be more operatic because his fate is too closely tied to Eladio's.
 

UA,

Thanks for another incredibly detailed recap. Awesome.

"Bribing doctors to say he was more seriously injured by Miguel..."

It's a small point but I must quibble with this a bit. There was never any evidence that any bribe was involved. Dr. Osvaldo did back Erick's exaggerated claims of the severity of his injuries apparently out of friendship. There was the mention of Erick loaning an apartment to the Dr.'s girlfriend, but that clearly happened before Miguel assaulted Erick. Had Erick actually bribed him I believe that Erick would have insisted on stronger support for his claim than Osvaldo was wiling to provide.

I'm not particularly moved by Eladio's gesture and declaration of hope with the rings and I'm something of an Eladio fan. I'd be much more impressed if he'd once and for all expose the truth about Franco, Marintia, and Mateo. For such a self-professed tough guy he sure is a self-doubting sentimentalist.

Looking toward the endgame, I wonder what will become of Jorge, and more importantly, the turtle. By the way, did Regina even name her beloved reptilian pet?

Carlos
 

I don't know if she named the turtle, but I have to say that if a guy wanted to win me with a pet it would need to be a kitten.

I get your point about Eladio and the wedding rings because I can't forget the 25 years of abuse and the bad message all this is sending. As to your point about exposing Franco's secret life, this is the one thing that Eladio fears: The proof the he has raised Franco to be a xerox copy of himself. Franco's sin is almost worse because Gabriela's fertility issues could become his excuse for ultimately dumping her. This situation exposes Franco's genetic narcissism.

Unless Augustin saves the day and exposes Franco to Gabriela, but knowing how gullible she is that's a long shot. There is that recording on Arturo's office computer of Franco offering to sell out GLA. Augustin could do something with that.

Daniela knows about Mateo. Maybe Clara knows or will be the next to find out, since she lives with Caridad.
 

Eladio , you had me at "rings." He may be a little tarnished (sorry..I couldn't resist), but it was a romantic, sexy gesture. Now, let me see that tattoo again.
 

I had thought when Gabriela gave Agustín those financial documents to review that being as experienced as he is with such matters that he would have recognized them as having been fabricated... or at least followed up with phone calls to the managers of the corporation to check on the numbers. Of course they could have refused to help, but he could have likely discovered enough details (the purchase price for example) to have alerted suspicions.

Carlos
 

If I recall correctly I think he said that this type of business isn't his area of expertise. He could have second thoughts about what he told her and want to go back for info. I wonder whether there are public records he could consult.
 

Thank you UA for another great recap. And since I have not weighed in for a while, actually quite a while, I want to thank all recappers on this TN because the recaps, really, have been better than the TN overall.

UA, "She smiled through the reddest lipstick in her makeup closet." You have such a way with words!!

Thank you to all commenters as well because the comments also outshine the TN... even with its fabulous cast of actors. I admit that this TN's twist of the good becoming the bad and the bad becoming the good, and the ugly well just being the ugly - you know who you are Chimp Boy - has been refreshing.

Now if you allow me to go off point for a moment to address Carlos: I'm a fanatic for old, black/white westerns but I don't recognize your avatar? Por favor, quienes son?

My final thoughts: David is an idiot and I can't see how he and Gina can possibly end up together now; I want to see Julia and Eladio together, but how can that happen with the Franco/Marintia/Mateo lie still out there; Art is pathetic and deserves to end up with Hummy; and Franco deserves prison or worse. Oh, and, Die Eric Die!

Is there any room on the Patio? I'll bring the drinks!
 

LoriLoo, thanks. I also think they are using a paler foundation on Nina to make her look older in recent episodes.

David has been an idiot, which makes no sense in comparison to what he was like when we first met him and a lot of what has happened has made no sense. I will wrap up my thoughts on this in the finale discussion.


 

UA: Call this the "Eladio Doesn't Know" song LOL!

http://wwww.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCRBxVzjPE

 

UA: We also agree that Marinita's days are numbered as well, the big question is how her anvil will hit ?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder