Monday, May 23, 2016

Upcoming Telenovelas: Stevey's Notes for 2016-17 Season

Commenter Stevey sent this post about upcoming telenovelas to share with you all. Thanks for this info, Stevey!

Hi everybody!  With so many telenovelas ending, starting, changing names, time slots, hell, even NETWORKS (poor 'Yago'...), I thought it might behoove me to write one of my 'UPCOMING' posts for everybody, so that you all might know a bit more what's likely to be coming your way.  Now, again, as always, this news will be about projects that are in the works to premiere IN MEXICO first... but I'm hoping that you all still may find this a useful guide as to what you all can (hopefully) look forward to up yonder North-way.  Which one of these will air up in the States, and which ones will be relegated to the nether-regions of time is anybody's guess, but still... I hope you guys may find this useful and/or enjoyable.  HERE GOES:


As some commenters have already remarked in previous posts, Salvador Mejia's latest, 'Las Amazonas' has begun airing.  It is a remake of a Venezuelan novela of the same name, that was itself remade for Mexican audiences by Angelli Nesma Medina in 2003 as 'Nina, Amada Mia'.  So, Mejia is remaking a Nesma Medina novela, which is sort-of interesting in itself.  Cesar Evora stars as NOT-a-villain, but instead as the loving patriarch of three high-spirited daughters, played by Danna Garcia (who starred in 'Pasion de Gavilanes'), Grettel Valdez (most recently the serial-killer-in-soft-pink-headband Virginia in 'Lo Imperdonable), and Mariluz Bermudez (most recently the gentle, poor, blind Virginia in 'La Gata').  It also stars Victoria Ruffo as the girls' loving nana, who has a tortured past of her own as well as sharing mutual tormented feelings of unspoken love with Evora's character (and, yes, she has already started crying).  Villainies will be supplied by Gabriela Vergara as Evora's hot, young, new, wife (evil, of course), as well as Guillermo Garcia Cantu, typecast yet again as a violent machista, and Jacqueline Andere as a bitter widow with an agenda (most of the cast of 'La Madrastra' are here, in fact, including (alas) Rene Casados).  Galans are Andres Palacios and Juan Pablo Gil.  Wikipedia says about the plot:

Los Amazonas tells the story of Victoriano, a landowner and businessman, father of three daughters (Diana, Casandra and Constanza), victim of lies and intrigues that prevent him from being with the love of his life, who has also sacrificed her happiness, as a victim of an act of violence that has condemned her to live in the shadow of the Santos family.
In a plot full of emotional situations, the three daughters of Victoriano struggle to reach their happiness beside the man they love, no matter the consequences.

So that's that. 

Fans of 'Pasion y Poder' or director Jose Alberto Castro (he of 'La Malquerida', 'La que no Podia Amar', and 'Teresa' fame, among others (my favorite of which being 'Sentimentos Ajenos'... anybody know of that one??) should take note of his next project...

This will be called 'Vino el Amor' (or 'Vino de Amor' (Univision's corporate page has BOTH listed), and will be shot in both Sonoma, and Napa Valley, California (director Castro has already been sending out pictures of locales... he's all excited!).  Our lead heroine will be Irina Baeva (who has impressed many in her only two credited acting roles thus far, first in 'Muchacha Italiana Viene y Casarse' and most recently as Daniela in 'PyP'), and her galan will be Gabriel Soto (who most recently breathed life into one of the absolute BEST galans, ever- the gentle, patient, strong, and noble Max in 'Yo no Creo en los Hombres').  Here is a brief precis:

A story of a strong woman pursuing her American dream against the backdrop of California’s wine country.  'Vino el Amor', featuring the majestic vineyards of Napa Valley, California, brings to light the life of Mexican-Americans seeking not only the American Dream but also success with family and love. Vicente is depressed after having lost his wife in a seemingly provoked accident, so much that he begins to neglect his children and the vineyard he loves so much. His mother-in-law and supposed best friend try to take advantage of the situation to take Vicente's fortune, but their evil plans are disrupted by an unexpected arrival. Laura, a cheerful and spontaneous young woman who grew up on the vineyard with her father many years ago, returns to turn Vicente's life upside down. Through their love-hate relationship, Laura breathes new life into Vicente and rekindles his love for life and for his Napa Valley vineyard. 

I'm personally intrigued by this story, even more so by the rumor (I have TRIED to find OFFICIAL confirmation, but thus far have failed), that the aforementioned evil mother-in-law will be played by Azela Robinson (if so... COUNT ME IN!).  But again, I haven't found CONFIRMATION about this.  Alpha Acosta (Valentina in 'La Impostora'), Raul Coronado (Julian in 'La Vecina'), and Ricardo Franco (the swoon-worthy Julio in 'Lo Imperdonable') have confirmed as having auditioned for roles in this one.

Anybody else fans of director Carlos Moreno?  I sure as hell am... his last five novelas 'En Nombre del Amor', 'Cuando Me Enamoro', 'Amor Bravio', 'Quiero Amarte', and 'A que no me Dejas', are all among my favorites regarding novelas that have come out in the last 10 years.  Well, his next project will be based on an award-winning Finnish series called 'Muskat Lesket' that’s already been sold to the U.S., Latin America, France, Spain, Eastern Europe and the Middle East.  Sr. Moreno's version will be written by his favorite and ever-so-dependable writer, Martha Carillo.  Here's a bit of info on this one:

"Las Mujeres De Negro" features strong female characters who develop a radical plan to take control of their lives. Vera, Johanna and Kirsi (authors note- these are the names of the characters from the Finnish series) have had enough of being taken advantage of and have joined together to kill their husbands and seek out new adventures. Finally free, the ladies did not expect that these new adventures would include close calls with both the criminal justice system and the criminal world. This dramatic tale will use dark humor to answer the age-old question: Is it possible to start again? And if so, at what cost?


It certainly sounds new, that's for sure! 

Anyway, the three leads were supposedly confirmed- Alejandra Barros (Candela in 'La Sombra del Pasado', Julieta in 'A que no me Dejas'), Ximena Herrera (Cristina in 'El hotel de los Secretos'), and Silvia Navarro (who needs no introduction).  Alas, however, in the past couple of days Sra. Navarro (who has been quite sketchy when it comes to projects lately... I know she recently had a kid but personally I hate this type of diva behavior, IF it's true), has gone back 'on the fence', if you will- apparently torn between this production and Rosy Ocampo's next one.  Leticia Calderon has also gone public and said that everyone will be "very surprised with her character", so I think it's safe to assume she's also on board with this one.  Regarding the men, the only name confirmed is Eduardo Capetillo (most famously the galan in 'Marimar'), who will be a villain.  Other names being bandied about include Mariana Seoane, Mayra Rojas, and Kuno Becker as a galan.  This one will be shown down south at 9pm, an hour that Univision is trying to market as "our Uni-Series hour—fast-paced, cinematic quality productions. With just enough romance, and plenty of mystery and suspense" (quote taken right from Univision's corporate page).

Now onto Ms. Ocampo... the producer to whom for some reason every one of their projects personally give me hives is getting ready for her next one.  This one will be called 'La Doble Vida de Estela Carrillo' (I will give it to Sra. Ocampo- she always does come up with pretty darn creative names for all of her projects!).  Here is the synopsis:

Estela Carrillo is a music teacher in Los Angeles who finds herself as a key witness in a vicious murder case. Estela is forced to testify in favor of the suspect, Nathan Rodriguez, to conceal her own secret, that she is not in fact Estela Carrillo but rather Laura Oviedo, an undocumented Mexican immigrant escaping a dark past. Estela must manage her romantic temptations in order to focus on maintaining her cover as Estela Carrillo, while pursuing her American dream to become a beloved Regional Mexican singer. The key to her safety, however, will depend upon a dangerous quest to uncover the secrets of the real Estela Carrillo.

Interesting, huh?  No word on casting, but Silvia Navarro's name is being thrown about, with Maite Perroni being named as a good alternative, should Sra. Navarro bolt to the aforementioned Carlos Moreno production.  Also, interestingly, this novela will be filmed in Los Angeles...

Anyone who saw 'Yo no Creo en los Hombres' will undoubtedly herald it as a recent classic.  Well, it's producer, Giselle Gonzalez is preparing HER next project.  It has been reported for quite a while now that she was preparing an adaptation of 'Mirada de Mujer'.  Well, she's apparently changed her mind.  Her next venture will be called 'La Candidata'.  No word on casting yet, but here's what this one is about: 

Camila Santamaria is a charismatic politician, assumed to be dead after a tragic accident. Upon her return, she begins to uncover her husband’s corrupt ways and ultimately decides to challenge him in a race to be President of the United States.

The word is that Sra. Gonzalez was pressured into bringing this one into being ASAP, the big-wigs at Univision thinking that they can tap into election fever in the States by introducing their OWN story of a charismatic female politician in her quest to become president.

'El hotel de los Secretos' fans, take note- no word on new projects from Roberto Gomez Fernandez.  :-(  I'm still hoping beyond hope for all of your sakes that his 'El Color de la Pasion' will come up yonder way.  While not a period piece, I think anyone who liked EHDLS would enjoy ECDLP (anybody at all, actually... it really was a good novela).

Also, with all the chaos and drama with 'Yago' ('where's it going?', 'when?', 'why', 'where now??', 'HUH???), everybody should take note that Carlos Moreno's ('Cuando me Enamoro', 'Amor Bravio', 'Quiero Amarte') last production 'A que no me Dejas' WILL be airing in the very near future.  If I may put in my two cents- this is a VERY good novela.  It debuted to a dismal 12.8 rating, but by the end of its first part (this is a novela in two parts, for reasons I can't tell you) it was in the 20's- a stunning turnaround.  It was also the most awarded and lauded novela of the year (7 awards), so I do hope that people will give it a chance, and maybe form a nice little patio for it... I don't think any of you would regret it. 

Well, that's all for now, folks!  Telemundo fans, take heart!  Now that I've penetrated into the mind (or the bowels, such as the case may be) of those loons at Univision to find out what they have in store for us, I'm going to try and do the same with Telemundo and see what I can come up with.  As soon as I have something.... I'll let you know!

With my continued best wishes to all!  :-)
-Stevey

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Stevey for this great information! I am definitely looking forward to El Color de la Pasion and A Que No Me Dejas, and I think I will also check out Vino el Amor since it's set in the US and possibly Las Mujeres de Negro. I am definitely staying away from Mejia and Ocampo productions...

Univision is so unpredictable so who knows when/if we'll get all of these. At least we know for sure that A Que No Me Dejas will be on somewhat soon since it almost replaced Yago during Uni's recent royal screw up, and it will probably end up with the 10pm slot once Yago finishes.

Looking forward to any information about upcoming Telemundo TNs!
 

Thanks Stevey and Vivi!

I've had mixed luck with Rosy Ocampo, but I'm intrigued by this project. It doesn't sound like a comedy, though - a change of direction for Ocampo?


 

Wow thanks Stevey! Sounds like some good ones could be on the way here!
 

Awesome stuff, Stevey! Thank you for this wealth of information.

I wish they weren’t shooting so many shows in the U.S. I watch novelas partly to see Mexico or wherever. I loved Bajo el Mismo Cielo, but it was shot in L.A., which is where I live so I’m not interested in looking at it on TV, and now I’m watching Quien es Quien which is supposedly in L.A. (skyline shots are), but is actually mostly shot in Miami – you can tell by the homes and the plantings. Oh, and there was Reina de Corazones which was awesome, but which was set in Las Vegas. Sigh.
 

Thanks, Stevey. The info is always appreciated.
 

Stevey, this has been a great read! Thank you so much, you really filled in the blanks for me. I always troll the telenovela sites to find out what is coming, and I always get only bits and pieces. And then, as soon as a new show that I've been waiting for starts,I get bored with it and start waiting for a new one... And so on... My brain must be fried from too many years of watching, but I don't think that a Telenovela Watchers Anonymous exists yet, so I have to deal with my addiction by... doing nothing.

Las Amazonas - I'm watching it and it's OK. VR's tears get the first credit (seriously, the first thing we see are her tears, followed by her face and name), so you kind of guess where this is going. It's been a while since I've seen a Danna Garcia tn, so I find her rather old (she's definitely had some work done, too), but her prota, Andres Palacios, is handsome enough to keep me going back for more... at least for now.
Oh, the one serious downside for me: Gretell Valdez plays a great role, but they've given her Rene Casados as a galan, in what used to be my favorite storyline from the 2003 version. QTH!

Carlos Moreno tn - Amor Bravio is one of my all time favorites, so I'm always looking forward for Moreno's work. If Silvia Navarro decides to star in this, then I'm definitely in. I don't know if she's being a diva, or this is just a negotiating tactic, to get better hours, maybe, or days off - filming a tn is super long and hard and she does have a baby (her son is only weeks older then my daughter, I remember how hard it was for me to go back to work, so I am rather sensitive to working mothers these days.)

Once again, thank you for all the great info and keep them coming, pleaseeee!!!

 

Thanks for the information, Stevey.

I haven't seen Cesar Evora in years in a novela, but it seems like Televisa Law that when he and La Llorona are together in one they will have to ultimately be married to each other.

As for the one with three women killing their husbands to escape to new lives, it sounds intriguing but will there be justification for the killings? If not I will have issues with the characters.
 

Gracias Stevey.

I am definitely watching La Candidata and Mujeres De Negro. I will avoid the Ocampo and Mejia shows like plague . Vino Del Amor sounds like a hottie, I liked Irina Baeva in PYP.
 

I'm really looking forward to La Candidata,Mujeres de Negro, Vino el Amor and La Doble Vida de Estela Carrillo.it's going to be fun and exciting.

After putting up with Mejia's silliness in Lo Imperdonable, i've lost my appetite for Las Amazonas.

It seems Pedro Damian is up for new show called Despertar Contigo and it's going star Daniel Arenas and coincidentally, his name is going to be PABLO!!! hmm!!
 

Thank you for the excellent synopsis Stevey!

Cesar and Victoria are a few of my favorites. Her crying doesn't bother me a bit - I'm a fan.

Diana
 

Thank you stevie for the information. That was very good I'm looking forward to seeing that one about the lady running for president of United States, that's going to be a good one. Is there going to be anybody speaking just a teeny tiny bit of English In that one? after all she is running for president of United States. you know how those people on the hill are, I bet they'll want to hear some English. Anyways I've got cc 3 so I'll be able to know what she's saying, that should be very interesting. I wonder if they're going to have anybody in it just a little bit like Donald Trump. I'll check that one out it could be interesting.
 

Stevey - Thank you for the information on upcoming telenovelas. Hopefully there will be some really good ones in this group.
 

Just found out that "Yago" is staying on Univision, but on 9:00pm CST!

I'm glad that I'm still going to DVR the TN!
 

Gracias Stevey and Vivi!

For those who are longing to see Cesar Evora in something, I recommend the wait for AQNMD instead of jumping into the potentially convoluted disorder that Las Amazonas could amount to be. That's all, thank you!

-Encaje Rojo
 

Also, Giselle technically didn't change her mind but she was constantly made change it because the executives constantly vetoed her ideas (pooh, pooh.)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder