Monday, October 16, 2017

Caer en Tentación #1, 10/16/17: Gran Estreno - Accidents

Chapter 1: Accidents

Damián and Carolina drove down the Plaza de Cobro one clear night.
Everrything could be destroyed.” he said.
It's better we go.”
They kissed after passing through the toll booth. Both looked apprehensive.

At the same time Raquel and Santiago fought their emotions alone in the privacy of their homes.

Carolina paused as a song came on the car radio.
You know that song? It reminds me of you,” she said. “Of when we first met.”
It's alright. Everyhing will be alright.”

All was not alright with Raquel and Santiago, who were curled up in their beds. Both were fighting the urge to use their cell phones.

What's wrong?” Damián asked.
I can't get it out of my head. I don't want to go on with all those lies, so many deceptions. I don't want to live like this.”
It's just a few days, my love. Two days. It's all I'm asking of you.”
Carolina leaned in and kissed his cheek as he continued driving.
I am very sure. I love you with all my heart,” he said.
Although he was clear-headed and had not taken his eyes off the road, something impacted the car from behind, sending it off the road and down the embankment. It turned over many times until it righted itself at the bottom of the embankment. The roof was crushed. Both Damián and Carolina were unconcious.

Both Raquel and Santiago sat bolt upright on their beds, as though startled by demons.

An hour or more later the ambulance arrived. Emergency medical technicians removed Damián from the car and strapped him to the gurney, immobilizing his head. They carried him into the ambulance and drove to the hospital as the police car arrived. If Damián had any conciousness he was thinking about how he had met Carolina.

It was three years previously when she arrived at his store. He and his cousin Andres were talking about an upcoming event and a pending deal with distributors in Monterrey when he caught her eye. And she his. She looked up at his rugged face, which was fashionably unshaven. His ash-blonde hair showed evidence of greying along with the beard. His blue eyes were alert and quick to catch the sight of her long brown hair and fair complexion. Something about her touched something in him.
Do you like pasta?” he asked.
Yes, very much, why?”
We're having an grand opening tomorrow and there's something I'd like your opinion about. Would you like to come in?”
Thanks, but I'm in a hurry.”
Just two minutes,” he said.
I'd like to, and it looks like a lovely place, but I have to go.”
Really, your opinion is very important to me. Just two minutes, no more.”
Alright.”
They walked inside as he asked her whether she enjoyed cooking and they walked up to a table where there were serving trays. He explained that this was a recipe intended to be served the following evening. He asked his employee, a young woman named Claudia, to serve some.
This is our specialty; we're going to serve it tonight.”
Carolina tasted it.
How is it?”
The sauce is a little acidic, but a little sugar, a little cumin, and some oregano will make it perfect.”
Thank you,” he said. “That was important.”
Well, congratulations on the grand opening, but I have to go,” she said. She headed toward the door.
Thanks for the two minutes.”
He then picked up a large gift basket arrangement and presented it to her with his thousand watt smile.
Please let me give you this.”
Oh, no, I can't. It's not necessary.”
Please, accept it, and come back soon.”
She could not prevent herself from smiling back.
Thank you.”
I'll see you soon,” he said as she left.
Andres came in from behind Damián, just in time to have seen this.
Are you interested in that chick, cousin?” he asked.
She just gave us an excellent tip about the pasta sauce, Cousin,” he said as he left the room.

Raquel had driven her children to school. She kissed both of them and Mia made sure that Federico, her twin brother, had his inhaler as he headed off to classes. Raquel drove Mia to where her classes began.

Carolina's son, Nicolás, came up to her as she headed toward her car. He showed her his exam grades. She was thrilled for him and talked about how proud his father would be.
Santiago was in the music shop buying a guitar, a gift for his son. His daughter, Lola, was with him to help. She admired another one that was on the wall, but Santiago didn't agree with her. The store clerk came back with Santiago's credit card to tell him that is had been declined.
Do you want me to try again?” the clerk asked.
No, no thanks. It's alright,” Santiago answered as he returned the card to his wallet.
So, we'll buy it another day, for another occasion,” Lola said.
Yes,” he said, uncomfortably. “Let's go.”
Later he arrived home and called his wife.
Caro?”
I'm in the kitchen, love,” she said.
Is everything alright?” he asked.
Yes. The pasta's almost ready.”
Santiago picked up one of the pasta boxes from the basket.
Isn't this pasta rather expensive?”
Don't worry; I got it free.”
Free?”
Yes. A new store is opening near Nico's school.” She handed him the dinner plates. “So calm down.”
My love, I'm worried about money.”
Should I go back to work?”
No.”
Then it must be something else.”
They went into the dining room.
Don't think about that. Caro, don't start. I've said it a thousand times. I can do it alone. I just need a little more time –”
Lola came in at that moment, interrupting discussion of what had to have been an ongoing issue.
Should I tell Nico we couldn't buy him the guitar?”
I haven't told him yet,” Carolina said. “I'll go talk to him now.”
No, I'll take care of that,” Santiago said. However, Lola stopped him at the door.
It's not the end of the world,” she said. “We can always get it next month.”
Santiago paused for a moment. This was not a situation he enjoyed. “I'll go talk to him.” He went out.
I don't know why your father insists I don't work.”
Because he's too proud.”
Yes, but because of his pride we're missing out on many things.”

At Legato, the grand opening was going well. Damián and his friend Christian talked about developing frozen products for export. He and his date toasted this idea with Damián and Raquel while Miriam, Damián's mother, watched with disapproval, which she quickly hid when Raquel looked in her direction.
So many comments about sauce! It's all marvelous, Son,” she said to Damián. “This is a big success. A great event.”
Exactly,” said Raquel. “A great success for Damián.” She raised her glass again as Christian and his date did the same.
There we agree,” Miriam said. “We had nothing to do with it.”
We did it together,” Damián said, “because she is always at my side.”
They drank another toast with Christian and his date while Miriam sensibly did not say what was on her mind. She had never liked Raquel.
Damián and Raquel walked through the store oblivious to Miriam's mood until they found Andres, who was in the company of another man and three very young women. When he looked up and saw Damián he dismissed them very slickly by suggesting that they go back to “the apartment.” The four moved out of his way. Just in time for Raquel to clink glasses with him with “Salud.”
How could I not be when I'm drinking with the most beautiful woman in the place?” was his reply.

The following morning Raquel dropped off her children and tried to pull out of the school's parking lot when she backed into the driver's side door of a car pulling into a space behind her. Federico saw this before he could walk over to his class. She immediately began apologizing. “I'm sorry; I didn't see you.” The driver got out of the car through the passenger side door and berated her. It was Santiago.
It's obvious you didn't. What were you thinking? It's a public place! Children are crossing here. How did you not see –”
Calm down. We'll call the insurance companies –”
How do we fix this?”
Insurance.”
Nicolás came over to see what happened, then greeted Federico.
This lady hit me.”
You know each other?” Raquel asked the boys.
My mother will pay for the door,” said Federico.
Yes; it was my fault,” said Raquel.
Santiago started to protest and Raquel walked the two boys away, telling them she will handle this. They were to go to class and not worry about it. She went back to Santiago and introduced herself. They shook hands.
Let me call the insurance agent,” she said.
Raquel, don't worry. I can fix it. I've done this before.” Before she could say any more he said. “I have no insurance. Therefore I learned how to do these things well.”
He then stepped away, leaving Raquel feeling more guilty than before.

Later Santiago told Carolina about this at home.
I don't know. I don't know how we're going to pay for this.”
But she has to pay it. She ran into you.”
Caro, what do you want? Do you want me to look ridiculous in front of them? What am I going to say when her insurance company contacts me? That I have no money to pay for it? No. No thanks. You know what? Let me go to work. My luck has to change.”
He kissed her and turned to leave. She went to the bedroom and removed a mostly empty jewelry box from a dresser drawer. She was looking at a watch when the doorbell rang.
Santiago opened the door to Raquel and Damián, whom he invited in.
I'm going to do the work; this wasn't necessary,” he said as Raquel was admiring their home. Carolina came in just in time to hear this. Raquel turned around at the sound of her footsteps.
Hello!” she said to Carolina.
Santiago introduced them as the Beckers. Damián and Carolina looked at each other, a bit stunned. Raquel noticed this.
Have you two met?” she asked.
No,” Carolina said.
No, we don't know each other,” said Damián.
No. Why?” asked Carolina.
I don't know. Maybe you met at Nicolás' school. That's how I met Santiago.Pardon me, I'm Raquel and it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm the one who wrecked the car door. ” They embraced and kissed in greeting.
Excuse the interruption but Raquel feels quilty for ruining your car door and we're here to pay for it because that's only fair.”
Exactly. We want to pay for it,” Raquel said.
How did you get my address?” Santiago asked.
From Federico, our son,” said Raquel. “But, yes, we want to pay for the damage.”
No thanks. I'm telling you I don't want you to.”
But, Santiago, it's no trouble to –”
As I explained to your wife I will fix it myself. Thanks.”
But we insist, once more –”
Santiago –” Carolina began.
I said no.” There was an awkward pause. “Excuse me, but I'm going to be late to work. Let me see you to your car.”
Pardon me, but can I hit the bathroom first?” Damián asked.
Santiago was a little vexed, but Carolina pointed out the direction, then led the way. They stopped in front of the bathroom door. Damián looked to see if they had been followed then looked at her.
Your husband is a bit stubborn.”
Yes. A bit much.” She was a little embarassed.
I think it would be a good idea for us to be contact to resolve the car issue.”
In the living room Raquel noticed the books on the shelf.
Ay, you didn't tell us you were an architect,” she said, excited.
I didn't finish the course. But like construction, remodeling, various such things. I do various things at times.”
Yes, you do very well,” she said.
Thanks.”
I just love your house. It's adorable.” She looked around some more. “And I like your attitude. You have the experience and don't hide behind a title. I liked painting and repair, but not did it on a grand scale –”
Carolina led Damián back into the living room. He and Raquel politely took their leave. Out in the car, Raquel commented on Santiago's stubbornness and said they should help. This conversation picked up again that night when they were preparing for bed. As Damián closed down his laptop he reminded Raquel that although she always wants to help others there will be people who won't accept assistance.
Santiago had not changed his mind or his attitude since the afternoon either. He went on about other people with more money flaunting it when they saw others were have-nots. He wanted to close this subject.
Nico is friends with their son, Fede,” Carolina reminded him.
Oh, so because Nico is friends with their son we should be friends with the parents? No thanks. What kind of people are they?”
It doesn't matter; I was thinking of our son.”
Of our son?”
Yes. Of our son.”
Carolina, I don't want to talk about this at this hour. We have more important things to talk about than these people and their stuff.”
Yes, yes, yes. We have serious problems but we'll have worse ones if you don't change your attitude.”
Worse problems? Would you care to explain what they are?”

Raquel was concerned about Mia.
Does she seem strange to you lately?”
Yes, but it's logical. She and Federico always went to the same school and now they're in different ones. I thought this was a good idea but maybe I was wrong.”
You know why? It's his friend Nicolás. And that's more awkward now because of the car accident.”
Ay, the same thing again!” Damián said.
Raquel settled back into bed and Damián embraced her as she put her head on his shoulder.
She's pretty, isn't she?” Raquel asked.
Who are you talking about?”
The stubborn guy's wife, whom we just met. She's pretty.”

The next morning Damián sent Carolina a text When he noticed that she had read it he called. She answered and he told her that Raquel insisted they come over right away because she wanted to discuss remodeling part of their house.
But I knew he wouldn't want to so I called you to see if you can convince him to accept the job.”
Yes. You can count on me. Santiago is a little obstinate but the truth is that we need the work.”
Perfect! Thanks.”
Thanks to you. 'Bye.” She ended the call with a pensive expression. Damián had touched something in her that Santiago hadn't and she was disturbed.

Later Santiago arrived at the Beckers' house along with two of his men, Nacho and Augustin. Jovita, the housekeeper, let them in and fetched Raquel, who came down the stairs and introduced herself to Santiago's employees. Santiago seemed insulted, as though this were a practical joke. It was as though he had been bullied at school by boys from more affluent families and had never gotten over it.
Is this because I wouldn't let you pay for the damage to my truck?”
I asked you here because I want to remodel my house. I don't know about you but I don't like strangers in my house and this man is the father of one of my son's friends.”
Nacho and Augustine's faces lit up with recognition, but Santiago said nothing. He did an about-face and headed for the door.
I see. Proud as ever,” Raquel said.
Nacho clapped his hands twice near Santiago's head.
This lady wants to remodel her house. I think we can do a good job. What's the problem? What are you waiting for?”
I looked you up. You have excellent references,” Raquel said. “I liked what I read. What more do you want?”
Okay. Tell me what you want done.”
First, the kitchen.” She led the way.
Augustin immediately began asking questions about the house.

In the present Detective Fernando Godoy arrived at the crash scene. One of the forensic technicians approached him with a cell phone found near the car.
The car was driven by Damián Becker. He was with a woman.”
Carolina Rivas,” said Godoy. “[???] Bring it immediately to the lab. I want all the information they can get from this phone.”
Right away.”

Jovita handed Raquel's cell phone to her.
The hospital is calling.”
Raquel looked as though she hadn't slept all night as she took the phone.

After this don't come back here,” Santiago said to a bald-headed man in a black windbreaker. He then handed him an envelope. “And you're to keep your mouth shut.”
The man looked into the envelope, pocketed it, and departed without saying a word. Santiago watched as he left, then reached into his pocket when his cell phone rang. He looked at it and paused before answering.

Damián was lying in a hospital bed. He was attached to monitors and a ventilator as Miriam stood over him gowned in scrubs and a mask. A doctor entered the room.
Mrs. Becker.”
What can you tell me?” she asked.
The abdominal surgery went well, but he lost a lot of blood. We will need to give him a transfusion.”
And the blow to the head?”
We'll need to do x-rays to determine the trauma to his brain. We'll need to stabilize him first.”
Do you know if he is out of danger?”
Madame, your son's condition is serious.”
Miriam began to cry. At the same moment Raquel and her children arrived. The desk nurse told her that Damián was out of the operating room and in intensive care. “His prognosis is reservado. I'm sorry.”
What? Is my father going to die?” asked Mia. “Is my father going to die?” She began crying. Raquel embraced her quickly, but even more quickly she pushed away and ran toward the intensive care wing. “I want to see my father!” she cried on the way. Several doctors were on the other side of the swinging doors and they stopped her. As they got her and Federico back out into the reception area Santiago and Godoy arrived. The latter quickly introduced himself to Raquel and explained that he needed to ask a few questions. She went after her children as Santiago approached the detective, who asked if he was a relative. He answered that he was a close friend and asked how he could help.
There were some things in the car that didn't belong to the victim. They were some things bought near a gas station and they belong to a woman. Her name is Carolina Rivas.”
Santiago was stunned for a moment or two, then shook his head.
No, no, it can't be.”
Do you know this woman?”
She's my wife. But this can't be. This has to be a mistake.”
He walked away. Godoy followed him.
Wait a minute. I have questions. Where are you going?”
Santiago started shouting. “Where is my wife?”
Raquel heard him and recognized his voice. She called out to him, then went over to Godoy. “What happened? Do you need to tell me something?”
Not right now, Ma'am.”
He went after Santiago.

Three years earlier Carolina had told Santiago that this job would help change their lives. He wasn't willing to count victory yet. He was going over some plans and bills with Nacho. Finally he pulled out his estimate and asked Carolina if she could drop it off at Damián's store when she took Nicolás to school. She agreed to. She smiled to herself as she stood up and stepped away from the table.
When she arrived at the location she saw Damián having a somewhat contentious discussion with Andres concerning production. Andres recognized Carolina and turned to stare at her. He then departed, thinking that Damián was looking for a side piece. Damián walked over to Carolina and was intercepted by Raquel, who had just arrived. She greeted him with a kiss and a “my love.” The two women had arrived together as they both had appointments at the school. Carolina handed him the blue folder with Santiago's estimate and he said he would take care of it right away.
Hey, are you doing anything tonight?” Raquel asked. “Why don't you join us for dinner?”
Yes, what a good idea,” Damián said. “Why don't you come over?”
Come on over, we'll talk, eat something delicious, get to know each other better, since our kids are friends...”
I like the idea but you know Santiago gets up so early. He gets tired. If he wants to I can –”
If he wants to?” Raquel asked in surprise. “Is he your boss? If he doesn't want to come by yourself.”
I'll ask him.”
Can you ask him now?”
Now?”
Why not? Ask him now. Please?”
Carolina called Santiago, who – predictably – declined. Raquel persuaded Carolina to let her try and she handed over her cell phone. After his attempt at declining the invitation Raquel went on about good food and such in a way that didn't allow him to get another refusal in before she ended the call. Damián smiled, knowing that this tactic had worked on others in the past. She then kissed him goodbye and left to go to the foundation she worked for. Carolina left with her.
When Santiago came home later he found Carolina looking through her closet for something to wear that evening. He didn't understand her indecision as he noticed that there were several dresses laid out on the bed and she was taking yet more out of the closet. She wanted to be sure that she was appropriately dressed for dining with a couple wealthier than themselves.
I've been thinking about this and I think it's time we end this madness,” he said. “I'm not going.”
Oh, no. This is not the time. We need the work, we need money.”
Yes. You're right. I'm sorry.” He kissed her forehead. “Don't worry.” He kissed her lips. “ust make yourself beautiful. I love you.” He left her alone to change. Her cell rang and it was Damián, apologizing for the text and the call from earlier. He didn't want to say that in front of Raquel. Carolina closed the door to continue the conversation, telling him that it had taken her by surprise.
But I want to thank you for giving Santiago the work. He's very hard-working and will do a good job.”
Of course. But I take no credit for that. It was all Raquel's idea.”
Well, then, thanks to both of you.”
Until tonight.”
Until tonight.”
Just after Damián ended the call Andres entered his office.
I heard you asked for the balances and the audit without my consent.”
Taking care of business is everything, cousin.”
Do you distrust me? I'm your partner. I'm your cousin.”
Close the door.”
Andres complied.
A minority shareholder. You were in charge of the accounting and the numbers don't add up. Do you have an explanation?”

In the present Santiago was driving. He left a voicemail “Caro, answer me! It's urgent! I need to talk to you!” He ended the call and drove, probably a bit over the speed limit. He looked ahead and saw the parking lot of Parador Covabonga. There were multiple police cars in it and they were near Carolina's car. He looked inside her car and saw the infant seat in the back but no sign of Carolina. He began shouting her name. He ran into the store where a cashier asked if she could help him.
My wife's car is outside. I want to see if she's here. Where's the women's restroom?”
In the back.”
He ran in the direction.
Wait!” The police ran in. “Officer, what's going on?”
They did not answer her. They ran into the back in time to stop Santiago from opening every stall door in the women's restroom by grabbing him and dragging him out.

Santiago and Carolina had gone to the Beckers' for dinner, taking their older kids with them. Damián and Raquel greeted them warmly and encouraged the kids to hang out together upstairs until dinner was ready. Raquel then took Santiago into the kitchen and talked about how lovely his children were. He was still not comfortable with this situation. Damián was explaining to Carolina that he had been very fortunate. His father had founded the pasta company and he now runs it and Raquel came back before he could say more.
His business is his life. He pulled it out of the ashes. Don't be modest, my love,” Raquel said.
Actually, we did it together,” Damián said as he kissed Raquel.

Upstairs in Federico's room Nicolás admired his guitar.
Do you know how to play?” he asked.
I'm learning,” he said.
What are you saying? You bought it yesterday,” said Mia as she played with her cell phone.
That's not true, Mia,” Federico said.
You can't take a joke,” was her reply. It was not said in any spirit of fun. She then looked up and saw Nicolás looking at her. “What are you looking at?”
It's bad that you don't have any friends at school,” he said.
She used to get beaten up when she had to take care of me,” Federico said. [???]
Mia had had enough and she rose to leave.
Your family is very nice,” Lola said. She got up and prevented Mia from leaving the room and suggested they talk alone.

Detective Godoy called to get an update on the transcript of the messages in Carolina's cell phone, but there was some beaurocratic problem that caused a delay. He ended the call and slammed the phone down in frustration on the kitchen table. His wife came in and announced that she would be returning to work.
Are you sure you're recovered?” he asked.
It's been a year,” she said. “You still think I'm an invalid?”
He went to the foot of the stairs.
I can do it alone,” she said, emphatically as she went upstairs.

The police brought Santiago to the precinct and left him with their captain, who closed the door to his office.
Boy, are you stubborn,” he said. “Didn't your father teach you anything? Did you know why your wife was afraid you would hurt her? The report said that you were deranged –”
I was not deranged. I was desperate. I –”
They found her car –”
I know, I know! Calm down. We've impounded her car.”
Do you know where Caro is?”
Godoy is working on it.”
Antonio, I'm going mad. I have to find her. I need to find me wife, for God's sake.”

Mia had put her head down and was trying to get some rest in the hospital waiting area. Miriam came up to her, having shed the scrubs, mask, and gloves. She touched her face.
Someone planned all this.”
What are you talking about?”
Your father could have enemies. But don't worry. We'll find the guilty one.”
Nicolás heard this exchange. Rather than reveal his presence he walked over to the main corridor and leaned against the wall. Federico joined him.
I just heard something strange,” Nicolás said. “Is there anyone who would want to kill your father?”
Please, Nico, don't say such stupid things.”
I just know something bad happened to my mother.”
Raquel looked through the window of the intensive care unit at Damián. She thought about the night of the first time they had dined with Carolina and Santiago.

Raquel had taken out her cell phone to take photos and Damián was teasing her about what bad photos she took. She took it with good grace and handed the phone to Jovita to take a full group shot. Lola smiled but her eyes were closed while Mia and Santiago both looked sullen. Later the kids went upstairs, leaving the adults alone. A few more glasses of wine and some more conversation later Raquel had a light bulb moment.
Carolina, why don't you start a catering business?”
I'd love it, but it's very hard to start a business –”
Yes, and Caro is dedicated 100% to the house and our children. I don't think she has time.”
Don't say things like that!” Raquel said, good-naturedly. “I won't permit you to. All of us have objectives we're entitled to fulfill. Right, Caro?”
I'm good at home,” Carolina said, looking at her husband and continuing to hold his hand.
When Raquel gets something into her head you can't stop her,” Damián said. “That's my wife!”
I don't know what goes on in your house but let me give a little advice,” Raquel said. “If you have a satisfied wife, everything else is good. You'll have more satisfaction, more happiness, more security.”
This was clearly making Santiago uncomfortable. He never liked thinking of the possibility that Carolina was less than happy with their arrangement. Carolina was quiet because this was hitting a little too close to home. Raquel paused for a second, then started laughing.
I think we should change the subject,” said Damián.
Did I say something wrong?” Raquel asked.
Carolina rescued her from that predicament.
No, no, no; it's that Santi doesn't like change.”
Why don't we put on some music?” Damián said.
Raquel immediately went to the stereo and put on some salsa music. She and Damián began dancing, then both pulled Carolina and Santiago out of their seats. They danced mixed couples. Neither Raquel nor Santiago sensed what was happening between their spouses.

Three years later Santiago was standing in the police precinct talking to Godoy, Antonio, and other cops.
She has disappeared.”
Yes,” said Santiago. “With her things in the car. Is she dead?”
We have no proof of that,” said Godoy. “The question is, where did your wife go? Why didn't she go home to sleep and why weren't you looking for her?”
Because my wife was visiting my brother-in-law!” Santiago yelled at him. “She has to have gone to see Vicente. That's the only option [???]
Are you sure? Do you know his address?” Godoy didn't blink as he watched Santiago. Husbands are always the first prime suspects when married women disappear.
This can't be,” Santiago said under his breath.
Godoy drove out to see Vicente Rivas. He was a sullen man with a thin, skeletal face and close-cropped grey hair who didn't like company. His house was not in good condition. Although there appeared to ba an adjacent property he may as well have been living in the mountains with only the local wildlife for company.
Vicente Rivas?”
Yes, that's me.”
I'm Fernando Godoy of the police department. I've come from your sister Carolina's home. When did you last see her?”
Hm, two years, maybe a year and a half ago. Why? What happened?”
We don't know. She's disappeared.”
Vicente paused for a moment and smiled ironically.
Are you sure that's the last time you saw her?”
I haven't seen anyone, least of all her. I have to go. I have a lot of things to do. Watch where you're going.”
He walked away. His manner aroused curiosity. As Godoy returned to the city he called again about the cell phone transcripts. As he ended the call he got a text forwarded from Carolina's phone:

I can't look Santiago in the eye. I feel bad...
I can't hurt Raquel either.

Mia and Raquel were still at the hospital.
My grandmother said that this wasn't an accident. Someone planned it.”
Miriam came up behind Mia.
Miriam, for God's sake –” Raquel began.
You knew this could happen one day. Someone trying to kidnap my son who was able to escape –”
Ay, Miriam,” said Raquel in frustration.
Rudolfo Rueda arrived. He had obviously come at Miriam's summons. She introduced him.
He's my lawyer.”
Lawyer?” asked Raquel.
Miriam nodded.
Yes. My office represents Mrs Becker. In an eventuality like this it's better that we be prepared.”
But 'an eventuality like this'? What does that mean? What happened was an accident. Nobody has committed a crime.”
Of course not,” said Miriam. “But we don't know what problems there will be because of this woman.”
My private investigator discovered that he was accompanied by a woman,” said Rueda.
Mia looked at her mother. She was stricken with shock. Raquel took out her cell and stepped away. Miriam followed her.
Raquel, open your eyes. It's evident that my son left with his lover.”
She looked coldly at Raquel, who looked as though she was going to cry.
Who told you all these lies?”
I knew you would never accept this. This investigation will go on.”
No, no, no. I understand you have gone mad because of your son's accident but you can't live here. Sure that your son has committed adultery. That he would leave with a lover? What's happened to you?”
Santiago arrived in a rage. Raquel heard him as he charged toward Damián's room and pushed the doors open. Federico and Nicolás were trying to stop him and it was fortunate that there were medical personnel in the room to stop him. Raquel caught up and he turned around to face her.
Carolina was with him; don't you know?” he shouted in her face.
Nicolás had a brief memory of his mother calling him three years previously, clearly upset and not speaking clearly.
No. I don't know what you're talking about,” she said. The tears began to flow.
Now is the time to face this,” he said as he charged toward the room. The doctors stopped him and shoved him back out into the main corridor. Miriam began to panic and the children were upset.
He's a criminal! He was trying to kill my son!” Miriam screamed.
Nicolás managed – with a little assistance from a security guard – to get Santiago out of the building just as Godoy arrived.
What happened? What are you doing here?” asked the detective.
Lola had arrived, carrying Benjamin, her baby brother.
Tell me what I was supposed to do, please.”
I went to see your brother-in-law. It's been some time since he's seen your wife.”
What? She lied to me? Caro lied to me? Now I understand. Carolina and Damián were lovers.”
Both Lola and Nicolás stared at their father.


Labels:


Comments:
I wonder if Raquel subconciously knew Damian was attracted to Carolina and subconciously pushed them together?


 

I thought maybe Raq and Damien were settngbthem up for swapping. Except they figured Santi would not go along with such nonsense.

I missed the part that Carlo called her son crying. What had happened to her.

Thank you very much Urban, great recap. I hated that I missed first 30 minutes.

They sure crammed in lots of time spans in one episode. I enjoyed that it did not drag out.
 

That definitely was a "blink and you'll miss it". I don't think it ran more than three seconds tops. This is why I typically watch my recap episodes twice.

There was no set up-for swapping; Raquel loves Damian and until he met Carolina he loved Raquel. When Raquel tried to get Santiago to dance all I saw was her trying to get him to relax and lighten up. He's still into the macho thing, which somehow Damian seems to have gotten over. We've only been given glimpses of what their families of origin were so that may have much to do with this.

It looks like both men were only children. Damian took over his father's business as soon as he knew what to do with it and made it successful. We don't know how old he was when his father died. It looks like Santiago's father was a cop or in a related profession, since Augustin seems to have been his friend. Nothing has been said about his mother or the parents of the two women, so I hope we get some of that information tonight.
 

Thanks, Urban. This had lots of details and you got them all. Excellent as usual!

 

Jarifa: I wonder what job did Santiago pay The construction guy off $$$ for ?

Hmmmm.
 

I thought maybe Carolina was having sex with Damian and accidentally dialed Nicolas' phone ... at any rate Nicolas knew Carolina was messing around with somebody.

Carolina/Damian ended because of a car accident. Raquel/Santiago met because of a car accident.

Miriam summoned her lawyer right away ... to me that's not normal behavior when you first learn your child is in the ICU. I'm suspicious of her.

I wonder what happened to Godoy's wife?

I was confused about Santiago finding out Carolina was missing and/with Damian & how Vicente was involved. What was the deal with her being missing, going to see her brother, Godoy interviewing the brother and then Godoy revealing to Santiago that Carolina was with Damian? I didn't understand that bit at all.
 


Miriam calling her lawyer is abnormal under normal circumstances, but remember that she doesn't like Raquel because Raquel took her little boy away from her. Not to mention that she considers Raquel to be a gold-digger. If Damian is in a coma for any significant amount of time -- and I think he will be for most of the series -- there is going to be a fight over his business and other financial assets. I'm not sure what Mexican inheritance law says about this situation if Damian hasn't made out a will yet.

I'm not sure about why Santiago told Godoy that Carolina was visiting her brother. If she didn't tell him she was going to do this he lied, but we don't know that yet. As for Godoy telling him about Carolina being missing, notice that Godoy never takes his eyes off him when they interact. He doesn't even blink. He's watching for evidence that Santiago had anything to do with her disappearance. I'm sure he also got a serious creep vibe from Vicente, whom I'm guessing has a rap sheet we will hear about soon.
 

"Both Raquel and Santiago sat bolt upright on their beds, as though startled by demons". Vintage, extraordinary Urban...

Your recap matched the show in terms of fast moving intensity. I bow to both.

I've never seen as much action in one episode. I'm even including TN finales. This was incredible.

I enjoyed that there weren't an overabundance of characters (I don't have the children sorted out yet but that will come).

The onscreen chemistry was incredible. I think Carolina and Damian are (were??) basically good people who made an erroneous and tragic decision.

What was the "two days" about? Where were they going?

So many unanswered questions.

Excellent Urban. thank you!

Diana
 

Thanks, Urban! Great style, as per usual. What I recorded didn't have all the scenes you may have described. Univision doesn't have it On Demand yet. So, no CC's and I am grateful for your filled in script!!! Much appreciated was the color change to denote the timeline. Genius! Silvia's character is terrific, but she has a tendency as an actress to slur her words and race on making it difficult to interpret. Again, the CC's do help, so you're scripting precisely is appreciated.

As for Santiago, only in Mexico do I ever have the notion that intensive care is care-less since everybody and his brother can simply barge in and cause a ruckus to raise the dead, let alone the comatose, aka, the "intensively" cared-for...

I agree, that this is one of the best keep-em-guessing beginnings I've seen in years in a tn. AND, something magical hit the screen when Dam and Caro took notice of each other at the dinner party that first evening. Great chemistry and editing/camera work.

Well, on to tonight's further unraveling....

 

Children:

Mia is the sour girl who the the twin to sickly Federico (Mia or Raquel reminded him to take his inhaler)

Nico is the kid with the Justin Bieber (circa 2010) haircut & knit cap.

Lola (Nico's sister) showed up with the toddler at the end of the episode.

Timeline:

You can tell the timeline by Raquel's hair:

Three years ago: short bob with bangs

Present day: Hair past shoulders

She also had a mid-length hairstyle which is the time frame between when they all first met to the present day.
 

Thank you, Urban. I forgot to record the show, so I especially appreciate your recap.
 

Anon207: Miriam's behavior is raising red flags.
 

Hi Urban and everybody!! :-)

I just wanted to drop in an leave a quick note for everybody... I'm SO glad that you guys have put together a patio for this novela. Giselle Gonzalez really is a visionary... with each of her novelas she pushes both her own boundaries as well as that of the Mexican telenovela genre on the whole, and this novela is a perfect example of that. You'll see stuff that you won't see in other telenovelas in terms of what she asks of her actors, and it's no wonder why then that Actors (capital 'A' actors, as opposed to 'television personalities', etc.) want to work with her.

Rosy and the network seem to have cast their lot in with her as well, which is refreshing, although it is somewhat shocking the amount of 'pearl-clutchers' (as I call them) there are in Mexico that are denouncing it as a sacrilegious affront to Mexican television, and heralding it as an abject failure (which it unquestionably is NOT as it is the leading telenovela in ratings, usually besting MMTF by a couple of decimal points).

Down Mexico-way, next up is the family-friendly 'Papa a toda madre' (next week, after MMTF ends), produced by Rosy's pet, Eduardo Meza. She's placing high hopes on this one for, if Meza makes it, it gives her greater clout to push to prominence producing forces that are either beholden unto her (Meza, Lucero Suarez), or slavishly loyal (Juan Osorio, because of course considers himself- with her- to be the two 'defenders' of the genre), and thus consolidate her own power within the network.

She has effectively sidelined Salvador Mejia (whose longevity with the network is even greater than Ocampo's) by putting his latest novela ('En tierras salvajes') into a totally unsuitable 7:30 time slot, and then using that as an excuse to decimate it with her scissors into absolute trash (which it is), guaranteeing its' failure, and enabling her to push Mejia into the freezer (along with Emilio Larrosa, another long-time producer with the network, and let's not even bring up poor Carla Estrada (who is still trying to bring her Silvia Pinal biopic into being)). The failure of Nathalie Lartilleux's latest ('El vuelo de la Victoria', which in spite of everything I continue to somewhat enjoy) enables her to push Sr. Mejia's faithful wife/producer into the freezer with him. She has made life a living hell for both Roberto Gomez Fernandez (of whom she has ix-nayed no less than EIGHT productions that he has submitted to her for her approval), as well as MaPat Zattarain (who REEEEEE-ally wanted to do one of three projects, none of which got approved). And I am greatly afraid for Angelli Nesma Medina, whose next novela ('Me declaro culpable', that deals with assisted suicide, and is a really juicy story) is being put in the same time-slot as 'En tierras salvajes', and that i greatly fear will also fall victim to Rosy and her 'unsuitable for its time-slot' scissors', enabling her to sideline producer Nesma Medina somewhat to a point where she, to, has to be more obsequious and deferential to Rosy when it comes to whatever her next project may be.

But no more of that! This is a novela that pushes envelopes like no other before it (take that comment as you will), with a terrific cast and a true wunderkind of a producer. I look forward to following along with you all with this one, and as always, my continued best wishes to you all! :-)
 

Thanks for the fine recap, Urban Anthropologist. It's been years since I watched a Univision novela. I've mostly hung out on Telemundo, but their offerings of late have been ghastly. Plus I really like Silvia Navarro. This was a very intriguing episode. So, where is Carolina? I suspect they'll keep us in suspense a while. Fine acting by all concerned. And, yes, Miriam, as the sourpuss that gives all mothers-in-law a bad name, is going to be a problem. Speaking as one of the mothers-in-law of sons tribe, I resent her every move!
 

Hi Anon207!

Thank you for the information on the kiddies. Truly appreciated!

Jardinera, I can hardly believe this is the same Gabriel Soto whose wooden acting in Vino was unfortunate and difficult to watch. I've liked him in everything else though and can tell I will here as well. He looks great - love the lighter, shorter hair.

Diana
 

Thanks Urban, you captured much of the complicated details I missed. Looks like an intriguing new telenovela. Where is Carolina? I liked the way that Silvia played Raquel - bubbling, well meaning but not catching the subtleties of Carolina's and her husband's interaction.
 

I find Santiago totally unlikable, as well as Mia, I already feel like that character is going to drive me batty! Also, Lola showed up with a cute little BLONDE baby, could the baby be Damian's baby?
 

Thanks so much Urban this episode was moving a mile a minute, and you captured it all quite eloquently as you always do.

I agree with Anon 207, the call that Nico received was an accidental dial from Carolina while she was having sex.

What I want to know is why were Raquel and Santi resisting the urge to call? who were they going to call?. Like it's been said, many many questions.

--Whose baby was that blond cutie?
--What's up with Vicente, kind of creepy?
--What does Nico Know?
--Where were Damian and Carol going? for two days?
--What or who caused the accident?
--What was Santi paying that man for?
--And the biggest question is where is carol?

And these are just some of the questions we were left with from the first episode.
Stellar acting by all, except Mia.
 

Well, since the final scenes of the episode were in present day, and the child looked about 2 years old, there's only 3 possibilities of who the child is:

1: Lola had a teen pregnancy and it's her child

2. It's Damian's child with Carolina

3. It's Santiago's child with Carolina.

Many babies are blond as children but their hair turns darker as they get older, so the kid being blond doesnt' necessarily mean it's Damian's child.

However, both Raquel & Santiago will start to wonder about the kid's paternity after the dust starts to settle and they start putting the pieces together.
 

Great input from all. I also agree w Jardinera regarding the different colors depicting timeline. Missing the first 30 minutes I would've been really confused. Thanks for that Urban. I am also getting my mind out of gutter about suspecting "swapping."
Raquel is really kind soul that was very happy in her marriage and her generous nature was to help others. The betrayal of Damien and Caro will hurt her deeply because she was so trusting and went out on a limb for Santi and Caro. I guess Dam/Caro couldnt help but fall madly in love with each other and that strong chemistry didn't help. I am also wondering about the two days??
 

Before I shut down the computer and leave for the city I need to say one thing: Don't take your eyes off the screen on this one. If there are scenes missing on Univision they should be stripped of their license because this series is going to require paying attention to all the clues.

A 3 for 3 so far for Giselle Gonzales, who picks great scripts.

I also commend the composers of the score. It makes this series like a combination of Alfred Hitchcock and Patricia Highsmith. If you haven't seen The Talented Mr Ripley, check it out.


 

Thank you Urban. Your recaps are like reading a good book that you don't want to put down. Now I didn't see the
First episode last night cuz I forgot it was on. But if it's on Demand I'll
See it.Sometimes they're not. No cc3s.
Now these characters are steller.The 2
Married lovers,good acters,don't like
The characters.Sorry don't like cheaters. She was sitting rather close to him, She may Have been thrown from the Car when it Went Rollin Rollin rollin,and she has no memory,and she's just wondering out There. Until she gets found. Hopefully Tonight.I guess
Damian will recover, but what about his memory.Since theyre doing the time
Line thing we'll see what happens with
His recovery, will he come clean. But
He won't have to.
The mother-In Law from hell,the weird
Brother-inlaw,and the wife/husband duo duo.This is gonna be Good. Thank you Urban.
 

Just checking in to say I had to watch it twice and just now getting around to reading the recap and the comments. Something fishy is going on and we're only 44 minutes in on the action. Must See TV---Next!

Urban, I don't doubt you have done a superb job of sorting all these folks out and labeling them properly. Thank you. I'll have to hurry to finish reading it before episode Two. Thanks again.
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder