Monday, October 23, 2017

Caer en Tentación #6, 10/23/17 Lunes: You Can't Handle the Truth

Chapter 6: You Can't Handle the Truth

Raquel slipped under the surface and was staying there, as if trying to drown herself. Jovita was outside in the hall calling her name. Maternal instinct won in her and she entered the bathroom to find Raquel at the bottom of the tub. She pulled her up and embraced her as though she were a child. Raquel began to cry.

Santiago was searching in Valle Bravo for Nicolás, who had walked off and was not answering his cell phone. He turned to Lola, who had not seen her brother for a while and had last seen him when he walked off, crying. She held her baby brother, Benjamin. Vicente chose that moment to begin taunting his brother-in-law.
He couldn't handle what he was hearing us talk about? Some truths are too difficult to accept.”
Only stupid things come out of your mouth. Isn't that the truth?” said Santiago.
You know what, Santiago?” he asked with a malicious grin. “This shack is my house and I don't like your tone.”
I think Benji's diaper needs changing,” said Lola, looking at her father.
Your daughter is smarter than you. You've got five minutes to get away from my house. Do you understand?”
Santiago took out his cell once more, muttering half to himself about Vicente's attitude.
He's crazy. He's got guns in the house,” Lola said, “And a grudge against Mother. You're the one who has to decide at the moment.”
He may not be talking at the moment but we have to find Nicolás.”
He called Nicolás' cell and left another message to call him right away as he walked to the driver's side of the car.
What could Nicolás have heard that he did this?” Lola asked.

For a moment Lola thought back to three years previously when they had gone on that weekend in Acapulco. She had ziplined with Nicolás, Mia, and Federico, then rode back in the dune buggy to the beach where they took selfies before rejoining their parents. They splashed in the water while their parents lounged in beach chairs drinking fruity cocktails that needed toothpicks and paper umbrellas. One of the boys proposed a ball game. Santiago and Raquel got up to join the kids, leaving Carolina and Damián on the sand. Lola was the last to get out of the water to join Mia on a boulder. She motioned to her to take out her earbuds.
What are you listening to?” she yelled.
Music.”
You don't want to hear the local sounds?”
I'll follow you back to the house.”
What?”
You have a problem?”
No. I don't see a problem.”
Lola turned around and decided to join the others in the game.
I like the sea very much, but I have a lot of respect for it,” Damián told Carolina.
I like the sea, too, but I'm not a good swimmer,” she replied.
That's why we started teaching the kids when they were very young.”
Yes? Well, I like the sea but I grew up in Valle Bravo. The river there is very cold.”
Valle Bravo is an incredible place, very quiet and beautiful. Like you.” He took off his sunglasses. “You are very beautiful, Carolina.”
She started to look back at him with a knowing expression, but it froze at the sound of Raquel's voice.
Come on, join us, Carolina!”
Carolina and Damián had no alternative than to join their spouses and their children at the water's edge. They played ball and took turns taking selfie group shots. Later they got on the boat and drank champagne before dining on the boardwalk. Everyone seemed animated at dinner except Mia, who looked as though she had said fewer than a dozen words. The following day Lola and the boys were playing in the pool when Mia sat reading in the hanging chair. Raquel encouraged her to join them.
Alright, I'm coming,” Mia said, a bit annoyed. She reluctantly walked over to the edge of the pool and sat down to dangle her legs in the water as Raquel and Carolina walked by, talking.
It seems like yesterday they were so little,” Carolina said.
And we were all so young, so active,” Raquel continued.
Life is no joke.”
But we are still young!” Raquel insisted as they sat on the bamboo settee.
I was very young when Lola was born.”
Yes, I was young, too, when I got pregnant,” said Raquel, looking over Carolina's shoulder at the kids in the pool.
And with both of them!”
Imagine it! The craziness, the madness of it. Now it's a bit worse. Don't take this the wrong way, but it was difficult for them to separate from each other. Federico was too attatched to Mia, almost didn't have friends.”
Really?”
Yes. Well, Federico is much better but Mia is a bit... reserved. But if you heard my mother-in-law on this, dear God!” She took a drink.
Hmm, could it be that she's a bit jealous because Federico and Nico are hanging out together?”
Yes, definitely, but if this was done when he was a child –”
Their husbands arrived, drinks in hand. Santiago kissed Carolina. The women stood up and they all drank a toast. Raquel talked about how she loved the beach house, asking Damián why they weren't there more.
Well, there is work.”
Later at dinner inside the house Damián presented both Federico and Nicolás with new guitars. Santiago was not alright with this, telling Nicolás to return it.
But, Dad,” he began.
Don't react this way; it's so the boys can learn and play together,” Damián said.
Nico, you can't accept that.”
If I don't how am I going to learn?” the boy asked.
Santiago, he has a point,” Carolina said. How will he learn without a guitar?”
It's a done deal. Nicolás will take classes with Federico,” said Damián.
Is it wrong to share?” asked Raquel, rhetorically. “Was this wrong? I get it. You're our friends, we like you. There's nothing wrong in this.”
Santiago and Carolina looked at each other and he backed down.
Okay, it's alright.”
Raquel more than sighed with relief and they sat down to dinner.
After dinner Damián suggested that they watch a movie. Santiago decided to turn in, as he was accustomed to going to bed early. He wanted Carolina to accompany him but Raquel encouraged her to stay and watch the movie with her and Damián. Finally, Santiago went to the guest room and Carolina sat on the couch on Damián's left side. Raquel was on his right as he started the film. Carolina declined her offer of a drink.
Whether due to drink or fatigue Raquel fell asleep halfway through the film, resting her head on Damián's lap. When Damián realized she was asleep he inched his left hand onto Carolina's thigh. The room was dark except for the screen. Carolina looked back at Damián but did not resist. Slowly he inched his hand inside her capris, the hand that wore his wedding ring. In the full knowledge of the wrong of the situation, Carolina kept silent as he reached her mound of Venus and what it guarded. He was right on target and knew it from her expression.
Upstairs Mia's cell phone signalled a messaage and she answered to find a group selfie with the caption “The Cage. Mia in Acapulco with her boyfriend's family.” Other messages followed.
Here's hoping she stays there and stops annoying our lives.
Mia is a loser.
Here's hoping she gets on a boat and sinks.
She thought back to the time when she was making out in the car with Joaquin. She dropped her cell phone and opened her purse. She took out the x-acto blade taken from her art class and opened it, brushing the blade against her lower lip. She slipped off the bed and sat on the floor almost in a trance, not hearing Lola enter the room.
Mia, what are you doing?”
Mia dropped the x-acto, got up, and tried to run past Lola, who caught her by the arm out in the hall.
Wait for me!”
Let go!”
Why are you acting like this?”
Don't interfere in mylife!”
By this time Santiago heard them and came out to investigate.
Get out of this house! Get out of my life!”
Lola!” called Santiago, but the girls had already gone downstairs and were continuing to argue. This woke Raquel, who immediately got up to investigate.
What's going on?”
This girl is meddling in my life, Mother!”
I had to because you'e sick! You were about to do something crazy.”
Mia backed away toward her parents, not knowing how to answer for the moment.
I'm not bad because she has problems!” yelled Lola. This earned her a slap from her mother, who then insisted that Lola apologize.
Enough, enough!” Santiago yelled, his forbearance at an end. He then led Lola and Nicolás out of the room and motioned to Carolina to follow.
What happened?” Raquel asked Mia.
Santiago led his family out of the house and to his pick-up truck. He loaded their baggage into the back and thanked Damián for the invitation. Carolina kept saying “We have to talk” as Nicolás kept asking why they had to leave. He and his sister got into the back seat as their parents got in the front. Carolina gave Damián an meaningful glance as Santiago started the engine and once more as she fastened her seatbelt and they pulled out.
Federico was annoyed as he and Damián went back inside.
Always, Dad! Always Mia gets her way! Always!”
Calm down.”
It's true, Dad. They left, Mother. They left thanks to Mia.”
What happened, Raquel?”
I don't know how true this is because we all know Mia, but we need to take precautions. Talk to Santiago and tell him that Ignacio can't come back to the house.”
Ignacio is working at the house now?” Raquel nodded. “You didn't tell me something this important? What happened?”
Nothing, Dad. Nothing. That's the fact. Nothing ever happened. Mia made it all up.” He left his parents alone.
What happens now?” Damián asked.
Nothing.”

The Àlvarados returned home in silence that was broken when Santiago's cell phone rang.
Who is it?”
It's Damián. He sent me some messages.”
What does he want?”
That Nacho not come to work.”
What? Why wouldn't he want him on the job? Has he done anything?”
No, my love. Nacho is incapable of doing anything bad. What's going on is that Mia has some problem with him.”
Mia is crazy,” said Lola as she entered. “She's sick.”
Once again?” Carolina asked. “Lola, you shouldn't talk like this.”
It's the truth.”
You're not like this, Lola. What's going on with you?” There was no answer. “Well, then tell me what happened.”
You want to know what happened? Then why did you hit me? Answer me.”
I don't know. It's that I was nervous and I wanted you to apologize for the insult.”
Then you need to listen to what I have to say.”
I don't know what you're talking about. I'll listen when I recognize you. You can't talk that way. You can't say such things about this girl.”
I can't believe you're kissing up to those rich jerks.”
I'm going to ask you to not show such disrespect because the next time you do you'll be hit worse.”
Do it. Thanks.”
Lola left the room with a petulant expression. Carolina let out a sigh and leaned against the doorjamb, frustated with this exchange.
Can you tell me why you hit he when you never have before?”
I don't know. I don't know what came over me. I don't know what's come over her. Nor what's happening to all of us.”
She looked away from her husband just as their son entered the room.

Nicolás was walking along a well-worn dirt road in the woods. He let out a cry of frustration and stopped when he heard a car approaching. A grey car stopped in his path.

The doorbell rang at Raquel's house. Raquel came down the stairs and answered before Cinthia reached the door. Santiago entered. After the greeting kiss he asked whether Nicolás was there.
No,” Raquel answered.
Hello,” said Cinthia. She gave Santiago a thousand-yard stare.
You remember Cinthia?” Raquel asked.
Yes. How are you?” he asked.
Cinthia looked at him as though he had crawled out from under a rock lower than any she had ever been under.
What happened is that I had the idea that Nicolás might be here since he wasn't home. I'm sorry.”
No. He wasn't with you?”
And Federico?”
No, Fede is at school,” Cinthia said.
Wait, I don't understand,” Raquel said. “What happened?”
You can trust us,” Cinthia said, in a strange tone.
What happened was that Nicolás heard a conversation I had with Carolina's brother. He went off, didn't say where he was going, and I'm afraid something might have happened to him.”
Calm down; we'll find him.”
I know, but he doesn't answer his phone.”
You think something's happened to him, like an accident?” Cinthia's expression showed no concern and her tone showed no sympathy for Santiago's anxiety.
Cinthia!” said Raquel with a subtle warning tone. “No, please,” she said to Santiago as she turned his head to face her. “We're going to find him. We'll look together. Santiago, don't give up now. I need you to be strong.”
He seemed to come to his senses.
It's that I swear if anything has happened to him I'll kill myself.”
No. No, no, no.” Raquel embraced him for a moment, not thinking about what was going through her sister's mind at the sight.

Vicente got out of his car.
Nico, what's going on with you, son?” he asked.
What do you want?” the boy asked. He was not comfortable around his uncle.
What do you think I want? It's that your father is looking for you and hasn't seen you. Now, stop causing problems.”
I don't want to make problems for you.” He tried to leave, but Vicente stopped him by grabbing the shoulder of his jacket.
Now I'm giving you problems. You know perfectly well what I'm talking about.”
He let go and Nicolás backed away.

Santiago was making a call on his cell. Raquel looked at her sister and asked her to tell Jovita to do something, but Cinthia refused and left the room.
Tell me what happened. What did Nicolás hear? Why did he leave?”
Perhaps he heard that Carolina was going to Valle Bravo to negotiate something between Vicente and her sister-in-law. Everyone knows. The whole world knows that there was a man with Carolina. Maybe Nicolás knows, and he left – I'm worried. I went all over the town, made calls. I don't know what else to do.”
Did he call or leave a voicemail?”
I don't know. There is no signal. Maybe he's on the road, but he could be in danger. Something could have happened.”
No. We're talking about an intelligent boy. He's not a child. Calm down.”
Yes, he's not a kid but he's my son and I'm very worried. Your sister could be right and now –”
She's not right. Santiago, listen to me. He's alright. Trust me.”

Why do you hate us?” Nicolás asked. “Why do you hate me?”
Don't ask unless you want to hear it all,” Vicente answered. “You're the same as your father. Two imbeciles who don't get the truth about your mother.”
Then tell me.”
Nobody matters more to your mother than herself. I don't matter to her and I'm her brother and I helped her. None of you matter either, son. I've known that from the beginning. We're talking about a slut.”
He smirked at that last word and seemed to enjoy Nicolás' reaction, which was to shove him away with a “Shut up!” Vicente laughed.
You fell into a problem, son. You want to hit me? Hit me hard!” He grabbed Nicolás' lapels as he shouted the last sentence. “You wanna hit me?”
Hey, is everything alright?” Another car had pulled up and the driver got out.
Yes, yes; everything's alright,” Vicente said. “No problem.”
Can I get a lift?” Nicolás asked.
Come on in.”
Nicolás got into the car and they pulled away. Vicente watched them leave, then got into his own car.

Santiago was texting when Federico came back from school. He had not heard from Nicolás and could not guess where he could be found other than at home or at school. Santiago suggested they look again and call the police if they don't find him. Raquel told Federico to get his coat.

Lola went to Mia's school to see her and tell her that she said nothing about what she saw.
You came here to tell me that?”
Yes. And to tell you to tell the truth about Nacho.”
I don't know what you're talking about.”
Nacho didn't do anything to you. Don't lie. And don't make judgements about my family.”
You don't know me, Lola.”
No, I don't know you. But you can't go on incriminating innocent people. So you tell them the truth and Nacho can go back to work. Or I will tell them about you cutting yourself.”
Mia did not look at her. She started walking away.
Mia. You better do this today. If you don't your parents will know everything.”

Santiago arrived home just as Carolina was about to go out. He had spoken with Nacho and Augustin. “I told them we won't work for a few days. I haven't told them the truth yet. What do I do, love? I can't believe that a bratty girl can do such a thing. That my friends can lose work over an argument, on a whim.”
But you can understand why they can't go back into that house?”
If they can't, I won't either.”
What? Santiago, I don't understand. Are you saying that because of this situation you will lose the work? Is that it?”
What do want me to do? Keep quiet? Not tell anything to the families of my friends? Is that what you want?” Santiago's patience had ended.
No, no, no. At this moment we're not their friends, they're your employees. Don't you understand? This isn't about Augustin. This is about Nacho.”
And tomorrow it could be Augustin and the next day it could be someone else that this child accuses of molesting her. This is about Nacho. Nacho is Nico's godfather. I have to help him!”
When you get like this I can't talk to you. We can't talk.”
Oh, and now I'm a dictator?” he asked sarcastically as he sat down. He paused for a moment, then said, “You know what, I have a lot of things to do, numbers to crunch. Don't feel bad. Could I have some coffee, please?”
Coffee? Is that what I am to you in this house? That's why you want me locked up here, to serve you. That's it.”
Caro, nothing more. I'm just asking for a cup of coffee.”
Then, make it yourself.” She turned and headed for the door. He got up and followed.
Wait a minute. I don't want to leave it like this.”
Am I important to you?”
Of course you are.”
I'm on my way to see Raquel to buy things for the business.” She was not looking him in the eye.
Oh, the business. The catering business. Perfect! I'm doing nothing. I'm just painting –”
Painting? What are you talking about? No. Raquel said to tell you she needs me for this; I'm the only one who knows what's needed.”
Why does Raquel get to tell you what to tell me? What does Raquel have to do with all this? Raquel isn't my wife; why are you telling me these things?”
Why don't you talk to her?”
No, no, no. Don't start with this stuff. I just asked a question. Are you going into this business? Yes or no?”
Yes.” This time she looked him in the eye. “I'm going to do it. And you know why? For our children. Because I want Lola to be able to go on vacation with her friends. Because I want Nicolás to buy the guitar he wants so much. They deserve it. Because we weren't able to give it to them. For that. That's why I'm doing it.”
And I'm good for nothing. Is that what you're saying to me?”
Santiago, what are you talking about? That has nothing to do with it.”
Oh, it does. Answer me.”
Santiago, this isn't about you; it's about me. It's about what I think, what I feel. I need this, don't you understand? Not everrything in this house is about you. And you never listen to me. That's it. I'm not important to you for anything.”
She left the house.

Damián came down the stairs while Raquel was trying to reach Carolina on the phone. Just as they were about to talk about this Mia arrived home.
What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in class? Who authorized you to leave?” Raquel asked.
I didn't go into school.”
Excuse me?”
I need to talk with you.”
What happened, daughter?” Damián said. “We're listening.”
I lied.”
Lied about what?”
About the worker in the house.”
Explain it to us, please.”
He didn't do anything to me. He didn't do anything to me.”
Well, you said –”
I don't know why I did it, Mother. I don't know why I did it. But I did it. I'm sorry.”
She bolted out.
Mia,” Damián called after her. “I want to talk –” Raquel stood in front of him to block his way.
Damián, I will talk to her. You communicate with Santiago and give our apologies.”
She followed Mia upstairs while Damián called Santiago to work out the situation. They agreed to talk at Damián's office.
Raquel knocked on Mia's door, but Mia didn't want to let her in. She had locked the door in order to insure that she would be alone. She sat on the couch in her room, staring into space.
I don't like it when you lock yourself in. I want to talk to you.”
Mama, I want to be alone, please.”
Very well, love.”
Mia was cutting her inner thighs with the x-acto. The blood dripped onto a white cloth strategically placed so there would be no bloodstains on the furniture cover.
Carolina called Raquel to apologize for not making their meeting.
I had an argument with Santiago. He was angry about the accusation against Nacho.”
Damián is calling about that; don't worry.”
But that's not all. He doesn't want me to work.”
It's the usual macho thing about men being providers. I'm sure he'll get used to the idea.”
No. I've been through this with Santiago many times. He's very selfish.”
Oh, I get this, really.” She clutched her head as though she felt a migraine coming on. “Right now I have something to deal with. Can we talk about this later, please? Thanks.” She ended the call and walked back to Mia's door.
Carolina went back into the study.
Are you going?” Santiago asked.

The two boys returned from school and talked about their parents. Federico didn't think that Mia's issues had anything to do with them but Nicolás was concerned about Santiago's attitude about the guitar and the lessons. Federico didn't think that Santiago's pride should be standing in the way of Nicolás' studies but Nicolás wondered about what else they didn't know about their parents.

Damián and Carolina were at a small table of sidewalk café.
I don't have much time,” she said. “I just came to handle things a better way.”
I think things are very clear.”
Damián, you aren't getting how complicated things got. Besides, things are getting more complicated and we can't go on like this.”
And what exactly can't we go on with?”
You know what I'm talking about. Besides, Santiago doesn't want our families to see each other much.”
Because of Mia?”
Yes, because of Mia. Because he doesn't want me to work. Because he doesn't want you giving gifts to Nicolás.”
Don't worry. I talked to him and everything will be worked out. As for the business, Raquel will take care of everything. The guitar is a done deal. Everything will be alright.”
It's not that easy.”
I'm not going to lose you. Least of all after what happened in Acapulco.”
Acapulco? I don't know what to think. I don't know if it was the alcohol –”
You know perfectly well it wasn't the alcohol. Look at me.” She looked up. “It was you and me.”
I don't know what to do.”
I don't want to lose you.”
They were not quite close enough to kiss, only to hold hands and stare at each other up close. However, it was close enough so that Gabriela, Raquel's best friend, got a view she wouldn't easily dismiss.
Damián!”
He looked up, then let go of Carolina's hands.
It can't be,” he almost whispered.
Who is that woman?”
She's a friend of Raquel's. Let me talk to her.”
He got up from the table to go to Gabriela, who walked over to meet him halfway and to satisfy her curiosity. They exchanged greetings.
It seems I've caught you just in time,” she said. She then looked at Carolina.
She's a colleague of Raquel's,” he said.
Really? Then I have to get to know her.” She walked over to Carolina and introduced herself. The two women airkissed in greeting.
She is Raquel's best friend,” Damián said.
Ex-best friend,” Gabriela said, dismissing him as she looked at Carolina. “It seems she's exchanged me for you. Well, I don't want to disrupt things; just came over to say Hello. It's nice to meet you.” Another kiss and another “Pleased to meet you later” she said “Damián, can I talk to you a second?”
Her manner did not go unnoticed by either Carolina or Damián, who had to face the music or be found out. Carolina watched from the table.
I suppose Raquel knows about this, doesn't she?” Gabriela said.
I came in her place at her request.”
Gabriela didn't believe this and she didn't have to verbalize the thought.
Please, Gabriela, ditch the fantasies,” Damián said.
No? You can't tell me what I have to do. Because fantasies are the best things about dates. And I have a lot of them. If you want I'd like to share them.” She threw a flirtatious look at him, knowing that Carolina was watching. She watched for Carolina's reactions. Damián looked confused. “Why, don't you have fantasies? I'll bet you do. Well, see you.” She kissed his cheek and slowly walked away. Too slowly for comfort.
I'm going,” said Carolina.
Let me drive you.”
That is the last thing I need right now.”
But she did ultimately get into his car. He stopped in another area.
What are we doing here?”
I just need a little breather. A minute to think. Excuse me.”
He got out of the car and entered the building they were parked in front of. She got out of the car and followed him.
Do you think this is easy for me?” she asked.
It isn't for either of us. I'm listening to you.”
I always thought I was a fling for you and that nobody says no to you. Therefore it was the perfect reason for obsession.”
It's not a fling, even less an obsession. It's much more than that. This is truth. I feel like nothing worse could happen to us.”
I don't believe that.”
I'll explode any minute, then.”
Then we both have to prevent that.”
He went back out to the car. She did not move.
Damián, wait.” He came back.
Tell me.”
I'm not sure. This is the most vulnerable and insecure moment in my life. I feel like I'm walking into a pit.”
Do you feel we're going to fall?”
I feel we can lose everything we've had, everything we've built.”
If we go on nothing can be the same.”
I don't want things to go bad.”
I can't let things go on like before I met you. I see clearly that after you nothing can ever be the same, nothing could ever be the same and not because it can't. It's because I don't want it to be. Here we can have a few hours, just you and me. Two people who have the same things happening to them.”
Carolina shook her head and looked inside.
It's that Santiago and Raquel don't deserve this.”
Raquel and Santiago have nothing to do with this. I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't want to lie to anyone, but I can't lie to myself. Or put aside what I feel.”
It's that I'm afraid.”
What are you afraid of? Of me?”
No. Of everything I am feeling for you.”

They kissed and he picked her up off her feet. They were oblivious to everything around them.

Labels:


Comments:
It is a truism of many novela characters. Nobody in this story is able to deal with it.

If Damian survives this story he will have a very rude awakening. Carolina isn't the innocent, put-upon girl she is representing herself as. That whole thing in the lobby of the no-tell hotel at the close of the episode was like Kathleen Turner coming on to William Hurt in the scene in Body Heat that ended with him putting a chair through a glass door and them having sex on the carpet.
 

Urban, your conversation translations continue to be simply superb. Your keen eye and observations miss nothing. Amazing. “She gave Santiago a thousand-yard stare” was one of many, many favorites.

“It's not a fling, even less an obsession. It's much more than that. This is truth. I feel like nothing worse could happen to us.” Powerful, evocative words.

I am uneasy with all of the central characters. Is anyone is as we see them? All appear to be far more complex than a casual look might indicate, with many shadings of grey.

Carolina is hinted to be the monster here, but is that fact or perception?
I had an uneasy feeling about Gabriela, who seemed more that the ex best friend of Raq. Could she and Damian have been lovers?

I loathed Carolina hitting Lola, which was I believe symptomatic of her confusion and inability to handle the life altering decisions she’s making. Mia is a danger to herself. Why is she not getting the help she so desperately needs from her parents? I give Lola credit for making Mia take back or lie or threatening to expose her.

I’m so glad you brought up the Body Heat comparison UA. So true! And while I know there is a huge element of risky and outrageous behavior, what Damian did to Caro on the couch with his wife right there was shocking. I’m not sure if he has done this before and/or if he has no fear of getting caught. Or did he want to get caught?

Vincente gives me the chills. Most of this has me intrigued but utterly uncomfortable.

Excellent as always UA. Thank you.

Diana
 

Thanks for getting this up, Urban. such detail on the conversations is enviable! I can already see things I couldn't capture- much appreciated. Will have to read all and comment later today. Excellent title, BTW!!
 

Thank you,Urban, for that detailed recap. Putting the past scenes in a different color is very helpful. I am still trying to sort out which kids belong to which parents.

yIkes..Damian is a dog . That scene on the sofa . YIKeS. That is pretty racy for a telenovela, isn't it? Damian is a hound dog. I am Team Santiago.
 

Thanks Urban!!

That scene between Dam and Caro on the couch with Raq's head in his lap was too much. Any ounce of empathy I had for either (which could have been none) is totally and forever gone.

So we have two blatant cheaters, one verbally abusive husband and Raq--who I know must have some secrets but, so far, she is the best of all of them right now.

The kids are weird. Both the boys seem normal but the girls are a mess. So Mia was cutting herself 3 years ago. Is she still now? Have we seen evidence of it in the present?

Dam shouldn't have bought Santi's kid a guitar without talking to the parents first. I can understand why Santi wanted him to give it back.

Right now it is difficult to find anyone to truly root let alone "like".


 

Carvivle...I am so with you...nobody to like here. Gah. I did not watch the show last night, and now I am kind of relieved that I was spared the visual of the sofa scene. Damian...QTH?? Does he like the thrill of maybe getting caught?
 

Thank you Urban. Your detail of the conversations are so helpful. The different colors for past and present that all of the recappers have used, have helped me sort through this sordid story that unfortunately I cannot watch on a daily basis. So thank you to all.

Now, did I miss a story line about Cynthia and Santi? Do they know each other from a different sordid past of their own? Or do we know that backstory yet? And Gabriela as well...

Vicente is both creepy and scary!
 

I don't think this is Damian's first time around the cheating rodeo. Gabriela was a little too familiar with Damian & I wouldn't be surprised if he cheated on Raquel with Cinthia.

A lot of times, cheaters like to cast themselves as unwilling victims of forces beyond their control, they just couldn't help themselves etc etc and that's what Damian is doing.

They also like to gin up reasons to be angry with their partners to justify why they need to step out on them. That's what both Damian & Carolina are doing.

If I am a victim of forces beyond my control & Raquel is a loud harpy, then I'm justified in going after Carolina, who is so quiet & sensual.

If I am a victim of forces beyond my control & Santiago is a controlling chauvinist pig, then I'm justified in going after Damian, who is rich & appreciates me for me.

Therefore, we don't have to think about how this affair will hurt Raquel & Santiago, we don't have to think about how it will affect the children, and when we do have to think about it, it was forces beyond our control. Our disrespect for our partners is justified b/c if Raquel wasn't loud & always consumed with the foundation and if Santiago would just get a better job & stop being s macho grouch, we wouldn't have to finger each other on the couch under our spouses' noses.

Gabriela mentioned fantasies last night. That's all many affairs are, fantasies. Carolina doesn't have to think about her poverty, & Santiago's grouchiness, & their humble home, & Lola & Nico's problems when she's with Damian...he's this rich guy who's sweeping her off her feet.

Damian doesn't have to deal with Raquel's loudness, & Fede & Mia's problems. But if Damian & Carolina actually got together in the open, I suspect their love story wouldn't have lasted 3 months, let alone 3 years because reality has a way of disappearing the fantasy.

Plus neither Damian or Carolina would deep down be able to trust each other because if you're willing to betray your partner, you'll be willing to betray each other.

I think Carolina slapped Lola to release some of that pent up sexual energy she had before she was interrupted by Lola & Mia.

Vicente called Carolina a slut; I want to know if this is because she was pallin' around with Mr. Elegante (Damian) or if this had been a pattern of Carolina's all along.

We have another situation of one sibling being pissed at the other because of their parents' house.

Finally, Miriam wasn't completely wrong in saying Raquel served Damian up on a platter to Carolina. While Damian has free agency and chose to step out on Raquel, Raquel pushed them together one too many times for my tastes. I'm wondering if Raquel is just stupid, extra trusting or subconciously pushing them together.
 

Thanks Urban!

Unsurprisingly Uni cut part of the "pleasuring" scene. I would hope though that young kids aren't watching these types of telenovelas especially at that hour.

I figured that Dam had/has other side chicks out there. And it's definitely interesting that Gabriela said she was a friend of Raq. That's exactly what Caro is doing.

I'm still debating on whether or not I like Vicente. He might just be too blunt haha.

Mia clearly has psychological issues that need tending to.
 

Anon207..Very insightful comments.
 

Do Mia and Fede go to the same school or were they split up? I think one of the parents said it was hard to separate them and that FEDE seemed to be doing much better now.

But Fede seems to be the more well adjusted of the two. People bullying Mia was why she had to go to a new school.

Chicken or the egg: Are you bullied because you're unlikeable or are you unlikeable because you're bullied?

Mia has a nasty personality. The one girl at the new school who tried to befriend her, Mia blew off until she found out this girl was also into cutting. Is she nasty because she's been bullied or is she being bullied because she's nasty?

This isn't to victim blame. However, most people who are bullied are isolated...they don't have backup (friends).

Why doesn't Mia have friends & why are Raquel & Damian clueless about Mia?

 

Thanks UA, your recaps are intriguing. Alot more intriguing than the characters. I think baby Ben is the only one who does not come on like a baby but really is an old man under the baby facade. Everyone has an alter ego. Like in real life, people are not what they always appear. I thought Lola was only the normal person, (the teen boys appear okay), but she is allowing the creep Andres to use her and disrespect her. Btw, is she the same actor that came out as Maria Dolores sister in YNCELH?

Mia is truly disturbed. Alot of cutting adolescents do so because you of sexual abuse or in family disfunction. At this point it doesnt appear to be sexuall, but perhaps she knows about parents shenanigans (that we don’t know about YET).

Anon, your input about cheaters is so on point.
Especially, the reason that Caro slapped Lola. I was trying to figure out why, Yes, it was her reaction to pent up sexual tension and probably got scared because she thought they had seen her doing nasty deed.

Caro is perfect example of “mosca muerta.” She is so quite and sweet but is a hussy big time. I say this because as much as she protests, she let Damien play w her on couch right next to sleeping Raquel.

Santi might be grouch but I like him way more than anyone. Caro didn’t support her husband’s feelings when Damien bought his son a guitar. He should’ve asked Santi in Private before purchase, especially when he is aware of how Santi’s character is. I would not have liked it. He direspected him on a few levels. If Santi had not given in, everyone would have turned on him. What a set-up. AND he is screwing his wife too! Aaahgggg, Gabe you are so good at your work I am getting so disgusted w you.
 

The Lola actress is not the same actress who portrayed Maria Dolores' sister.

Damian buying Nico the guitar & then Caro backing Damian up was disrespectful to Santiago's manhood. A man wants to feel like like can provide for his family. Santiago cannot provide much more than the basics (food, shelter), so for another man to provide for his family and then having his wife back that man up was disrespectful. Damian further disrespected Santiago by fingering his wife on the couch while he was just a room away.

Buying Nico the guitar was a power play whether Damian realizes it or not.
 

I think Damian was primarily trying to impress Carolina with that purchase. There is another possible motive, which would be to make sure that Federico has a solid friendship which happens to be based on the boys' shared love of music. Raquel did say that until recently Fede and Mia had almost no friends. That is seriously abnormal and should have been addressed long before this.

One thing nobody seems to have thought of is that Santiago doing that remodeling job on the Beckers' house could be a stepping stone to more similar jobs for other people Damian knows. However, the affair is going to blow everything up by the end, I'm sure.

Of the four parents only Damian has a living parent and she is seriously toxic. I'm sure there was quite a bit of parental toxicity in the homes of the other three.
 

I dont know why so many mother and daughter relationships can be so toxic, even if there is love present. I would say it could be generational, but my mothers mother was saintly in her behavior, no toxicity there. But my mom and i have toxic and my daughter and I are toxic. Forgive for oversharing, but I could seriously bang my h ad on wall and have seriously fantasized about running away, but too Old to do that
 

Thanks Urban

Jesus that handjob scene with Carolina&Damian gave me the ills. Their affair doesn't seem to be a 'trapped in the circumstances' category affair. They seem to enjoy their game. Santi &Raquel will probably do the same damn thing for revenge later on. Caro&Dam are a fantastic beacon of moral fortitude.

As for Lola the actress does kind of look like a younger AL. I can totally buy her as her daughter.

I thought we would see a nicer side of Vicente in the Nico scene but he's still a cunt unable to offer reassuring comfort. What's up with his accent though?

The only characters I feel sympathy for is the young Benjamin who has no idea what's going on. Will he grow up to be a villain? We've seen what affairs can do in Vino el Amor. All this wrath and hatred inflicted just for one bastard.
 

If Damian dies and Caro is never found, presumed to be dead, and it's discovered the child is really Damian's, who takes care of the child? Would Santiago want to be stuck with a kid that's not his? But he can't do anything about it because the child is his children's siblings?

Same with Raquel: if Damian dies & Caro is never found, does she take the kid if Santiago doesn't want to or is incapable of raising him? Or does Nico & Lola take him? Or God forbid, Vicente?

Would she want her husband's love child around? Some people can handle it and some people can't and the people who can't, it doesn't make them bad people.

Whether Damian & Caro survive & is found, all 5 children will need the love & care of capable adults. I think Raquel could ultimately handle a Damian love child by Caro, but could macho Santiago handle it? If Caro is never found & the child turns out to be Damian's, that's kind of the ultimate F U to Santiago.

How the remaining adults handle the situation will determine Benjamin's outcome.
 

Vicente sounds like a doomsday prepper that saw an asteroid beaming towards the Earth with his giant telescope but refuses to tell others or share food with them. He would sit comfortably at his lawn chair sipping ice cold beer celebrating that the end is near.
 

Raquel's account of Fede and Mia as children matches what we know: Federico was sickly and Mia helped take care of him. This was to the exclusion of having friends. Raquel was young and not knowledgeable enough to see the pitfalls of this arrangement and Miriam was obviously no help.

As for Raquel and Cinthia, this sounds like Cinthia may have felt that she was in Raquel's shadow when they were kids and turned to drugs... and whatever had led her to the drugs. The parents' house was sold to pay for her rehab.

Vicente didn't get any of the money from the sale of his parents' home and we don't yet know why. Did their will disinherit him? Had he borrowed so much money from them that it equaled his share? Was he in prison and got out early on "good behavior"?

I wonder whether Gabriela had her eye on Damian long before this, maybe when they were students.

The writing is so clever that anything we're predicting here is possible.
 

Right, the writers made it so the story can go any which way, and it will.

Count, I got the “ills” too, gave me asco
 

UA: That's a good question on Gabriela having her eye on Damian before the chaos.

Cinthia is a drug addict ? Something tells me she's going to relapse & go into a druggie binge (see Daniela Montenegro in "PyP").

 

Of course she will relapse. The majority of drug addicts do.

What I truly wish is that someday a novela producer would demand that a writing team put actual rehab into the story. If novelas are supposed to be educational on social issues, that is one that needs lots of help. The writers of PyP missed a chance to do this with Daniela; they could have offed Assmore by having him do something else that would have gotten him arrested.
 

What a tour de force, Urban. I read breathlessly, reliving all the visuals in the episode. Thank you for the dialog. It was incredibly revealing.

Giselle Gonzalez has outdone herself. She's running two telenovelas at the same time, both equally intense and intriguing. Nobody can look away for a moment, not even the characters. They have been enveloped by a truly compelling, intricate, yet exasperating story.

The comments are cogent and well presented. Nothing is out of place or has us rolling our eyes at any unbelievable side-stories. Everything fits. I apologize for having trashed the four young ones' many friends (starting with Patricia, Joaquin and Julieta, not to mention Profe Juan). They are just as integral to the story as Mia, Fede, Lola and Nico.

You will have to know that after watching last night's episode, I sat down and watched every episode since the beginning. Wow--all the clues and mysteries and they point to everyone, even Godoy and Laura.

When Miriam told Rueda that it was imperative for them to find Caro and speak to her before anyone else regarding what she knows about Damian and the accident, I wondered why, other than the fact that she was sure that someone caused the accident or was still trying to kidnap Dam. I thought that was plausible.

However, we have now seen Santi desperate to find Caro and going to extremes. I'll bet he wants to see her and talk to her first and it's not about where she's been or why. We musn't forget the scene in the first episode where Santi was seen paying off some bald tough guy to never come around again and to keep his mouth shut. I wonder if what he really wants to know is what she remembers--about a car following them.

One slight modification of the convo between Vicente and Nico that has me intrigued--what Vicente said to Nico was that NICO has already brought on many problems and Nico knows perfectly well what he's talking about--but of course WE on the Patio don't. I don't think he was just talking about taking off without telling his father.

Yes, of course, how is it that Mia's cuts were not in evidence in Acapulco? Maybe if one cuts oneself on the inner thighs it might not show, but she was wearing very short shorts. Sometimes even superficial cuts leave scabs and scar lines.

I just can't comment on Damian and Caro without terrible confusion. They have treated us to some exceptional sexually charged interactions which if performed by a loving couple (OT, Jamie Fraser and Claire in Outlander) would make anyone on this side of emotionally frozen swoon and fantasize, but leaves us with disgust and yep, asco. They are both beautiful people to look at and seem so sincere when they are with each other, not fondling each other. They REALLY don't care about anyone else except for themselves and being "in the moment." If they had really been thinking about their respective families, Caro would never have called Dam back and Dam would not have come back--end of story.

One other little thread niggles. Why doesn't Raq have any other friends? Is it just telenovela trope to have just one "ex" and a druggie sister? Is she trying too hard with the Alvarados? Is she attracted to Caro? Is there something of a womance going on? Is she just as persuasive to lasso Caro for her catering business as Dam is for a sexual dalliance?

Again, I repeat, Damian is just too smooth in his approach to women. With the appearance of Gabriela, that tells tales on him. Caro is not the first--and Andres knew it--or suspected strongly and hinted at it (to us).
 

Urban Gracias!

I did not get to see the episode last night, so this completely detailed recap came to the rescue.

Anita: Love the insights. In your re-watching of the episodes did you notice Raquel had luggage in hand when Jovita gave her the phone when she found out that Damian was in the hospital? I still want to know what was going on that night with Raquel and Santi. They were both fighting the urge to call someone, who?


 

Urban, good recap. The truth is these
Two people are sure gonna fall flat on adulterated asses.
Carolina is a piece of work. Her bro can Probably tell stuff she's done that can Burn a hole in miriams wall of Hatred she has for raq.Shes hiding.
I wonder if there willever come a time
When they wont be going back and forth between past and present.I just really wish he'd wake up.I want some real2017 stuff to keep goin on.We know they're all screwed up,now we need to See what their gonna do about. And why is that
Girl cutting herself.Didshe get molest
ed?
 

Sandie--Another mystery to add to the others. Was she leaving him? Those first few scenes were probably meant to confuse us, just like the tub drowning scene.

Nina--We really don't know if she was ever molested. We do know she's been bullied for awhile. Obviously she's been in pain for a long time.
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder