Wednesday, May 22, 2019

New Mini-Series Bio-Pic: Silvia Pinal: frente a tí (May 27-9:00 pm ET/8C)

Produced by Carla Estrada
Directed by Carla Estrada and Mónica Miguel

Coming to Univision on Monday, May 27th, this is a 21-episode mini-series by our favorite Producer of Novelas de Epoca and other full-length telenovelas. This isn't her first appearance on the small screen since they did Sortilegio, but worthy of announcement in Proximas.

It will be narrated by Silvia Pinal herself. For awhile, it was touch and go whether the mini-series would ever come to the screen, either in Mexico or the U.S. There was a delay in choosing the lead. Production was halted and there were rumors that it had been given the ka-bosh in 2017, only to have it announced it was only a postponement. Filming ended in April 2018. It was broadcast in Mexico in February and March of 2019.

Here is the line-up (shortened considerably):
Itatí Cantoral – the adult Silvia Pinal
Alberto Casanova – Rafael Banquells
Marcelo Córdoba – Arturo de Córdova
Pablo Montero – Gustavo Alatriste
Harry Geithner – Emilio Azcárraga Milmo
Gonzalo Guzmán – Felipe Román
Arturo Peniche – Luis Pinal
Gabriela Rivero – Sonia
Luis José Santander – Moisés Pasquel
Leticia Perdigón – Eva
Roberto Blandón – Luis Buñuel

First episode synopsis:

It begins in Silvia's birthplace of Guaymas, Sonora, in 1931. Merilú, Silvia’s single mother, is trying to make it on her own and do the best for her daughter. Merilú meets Colonel Luis Pinal. She falls in love with him and they get married. They decide to move to Cuernavaca, where they begin life together, with plans to raise Silvia to be the best she can be. Silvia gets interested in the world of entertainment in the venues of the time, stage, radio, singing and acting. Her step father, Luis, encourages her, instead, to continue studying. When Luis finds himself out of work, he decides to move the family to Mexico City. There, Silvia meets Moisés Pasquel at a radio studio. She begins a friendship with him, not knowing he is really her biological father. After learning the truth about her father, he tries to continue the relationship, but when a scandal is published in Mexican newspapers, he denies she is his daughter. Silvia turns her back on him and goes back to school to follow a secretarial career. When Silvia turns 15 she starts working to pay for her singing and acting studies. [Thanks to Wikipedia for the basis of this adaptation of Episode 1.]

There are many real-life celebrities in this bio-pic, in addition to Luis Buñuel. Making appearances played by actors are Jorge Negrete, Diego Rivera, Andrés Soler and others. In addition, some of Carla’s favored actors make appearances including Ernesto Laguardia (Amor Real &Alborada) and Carmen Becerra (Querida Enemiga).

As of now, any recaps of the episodes will appear within the comment postings in the Primetime on Univision page. It would be wonderful to put together a team for this, so if interested, let RGV or me know.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Anita, thanks so much!

I've seen the ads and Itatí Cantoral seems perfectly cast. She seems to be able to morph into any role and seamlessly.

I had no idea Carla Estrada was behind this. I saw both Pasion and Sortilegio and loved them both.

Oooh, Ernesto LaGuardia (loved him in what I saw of Amor Real). Interesting that Carmen Becerra is a favorite of hers, I liked her in Querida Enemiga.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw Marcelo Cordoba in a quick preview flash. That would make sense as he also was in Pastion.

What a life Silvia had! And we only have part of the story...

Thanks so much Anita.

Diana
 

Ack. Yes, I see you listed Marcelo, so sorry.

Diana
 

Thanks, Anita. I'm looking forward to this one.

Diana, I couldn't agree with you more about Itati. I first saw her in Amores con Trampa and then saw her in some other TNs. The woman has some range.
 

Should be interesting. I've been wondering what Pablo Montero has been up to so I will be in for this one.
 

Wow...had no idea Carla Estrada put this together. And with Monica Miguel. That sounds like sheer perfection. However, Silvia was born in 1931? I was born in 1939 (admittedly the very tail end) but still, Silvia seems a lot older. Oh well. She packed a lot of living into those years evidently! And more power to her. Better to regret what you did than what you didn't do.

Looking forward to this whether it's recapped or not. Certainly a discussion page could be put up and any questions from non Spanish speakers answered by whomever.

Judy, sitting with Kizzie on my lap, where she has been most of the day
 

Diana--
Tee hee...did you love Carmen Becerra in Querida Enemiga because she was so deliciously evil? I don't know if she is a favorite of Carla's, but we do see a sprinkling of actors who have worked for her before.

Where is Sweet William [cue the kayak] Levy these days, anyway. Didn't like TdA (a Mejia production), but loved Sortilegio--my very first telenovela I had the privilege to watch all the way through. Yeah, some made fun of some of the situations, but here was a smart, good-looking galan, consummate lover, good detective, desert island survivor and loved his mother [chills ran up and down my spine whenever he talked to Victoria and called her "Madre," I don't know why].
 

JudyB--Nice to see your face again. You haven't changed a bit. Hold your Kizzie tight.

As of now, discussions will be within the Daytime TN front page. I think it might be wise to leave it there, as our participation dwindles a bit. Is it overkill? Too much going on in daily life and too many good shows to choose from.
 

I might be able to watch this.
 

Hi Everyone.

Anita, I think part of what intrigued me about Carmen in Querida was that she slept with her bff's bf. Although, she hated her bff...It cost the not so galan in question (Gabe Soto sigh) the love of his life Lorena (the lead, Ana). Carmen was evil to the core yet her ending was still jaw dropping (won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it).

Niecie, nice to see a post from you...

Thinking of Kizzie and wishing her well Judy.

Diana
 

Thanks, Anita, for all of the info. I was fortunate to have seen the first half dozen episodes and it is the story of a STAR that views like a telenovela Sílvia Pinal’s commentary is priceless. What a career and what a life! I hope to find time to watch and drop by the patio.
 

Anita..thank you. I saw a preview tonight, and at first, I thought it was about Marilyn Monroe. I was surprised to see that Carla is doing this. She and Monica Miguel were the dynamic duo behind my two favorite telenovelas Alborada and Amor Real. Did they also do Pasion together? I forget. I hope to watch this show.

OT...judyb..I had two friends who had Kizzies...one was a car and the other was a Schnauzer. Your Kizzie is lucky to have you .
 

Whoops...cat...not car...careless
 

Thank you, Anita!

I would really like to see how some of the "older" stars are portrayed here, especially Jorge Negrete and Pedro Infante (my all-time favorite Mexican HAWTIES), but I just won't have the time, even if I record it :-( but I'll keep tabs on it through the recaps and/or comments.

Have fun watching it!
 

Susanlynn--"Cat not car" haha, not so car-eless. A lot of folks name their cars--my closest friend always named her cars and bought little things to adorn them with. I accepted the term "car" as entirely reasonable.
 

Anita, I never give my cars names, but when my friend Sterling was in high school, he named his car Luther. Why?...I have no idea.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder