Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Cuna de Lobos, Capitulo 12 Martes 11/5/19: Sabrina Full of Grace


Lies and long-term deceptions are the poisons of life. It doesn't matter whether people are rich or poor as long as they are honest with themselves as well as others. No monster ever wants to know that is what they are and many are not born to this, but become so because of what they do to others. Too many of them do not see this happening. – D.D.
Ámbar fired several times, aiming just a half meter beyond Catalina's left shoulder. Catalina – as cold-blooded as ever – barely flinched.
No, no,” said Francisco.
Tell me the truth,” Ámbar said. “Tell me.”

Francisco got in front of Catalina. He did not take his eyes off his wife as he tried to get her to calm down. The security personnel in the Larios' employ approached and were in a position for him and Catalina to see them.
Please listen,” Francisco said.
Ámbar moved her gun hand from left to right as if to aim at a moving target. She did not hear the security men who by then were behind her.
Give it to me,” Francisco almost whispered. “Give me the weapon.”
No.”
Ámbar, my love --”
'My love?' I am 'your love'? How do you have the nerve to call me that when you cavorted in my bed with her? Did you think I was dead? But I'm here and you will pay for everything you've done.”
You are very disturbed,” said Catalina. She did not take her eyes off her.
We are going to finish this. I want Francisco to listen.” She continued to wave the pistol, still pointing it in their direction. “I want him to listen!” She began to yell. “I want him to listen to me!”
By then she was shrieking, possibly because Francisco and Catalina remained as calm as sharks in deep water.
Everything you said, everything you did to me!”
I only tried to help you.” Catalina was calm. Too calm to be anything close to normal.
You kidnapped me. You tortured me. You tried to kill me! Tell me how you made him think I disappeared?”
Two security men rushed in from behind and grabbed her. Francisco came forward and the three men wrestled Ámbar to the ground.
Alejandro, Leonora, and Gélica came out of the house. The two security men – having taken the weapon – allowed Francisco to pin Ámbar down. As she shouted “She is a killer!” Catalina looked at her and shook her head in contempt.

Luis was sitting at the bar alone, finishing what had not been his first or even his second drink when Pedro came in looking for him. He went over the sad events in his recent past – having to send his child to his in-laws' for his safety, Leonora getting married, he lied about her work to their boss, and ending his professional partnership with her. Pedro tried to convince him to leave and asked the bartender for the bill. Luis tried to stop him but Pedro knew he had to take control of the situation.
The only idiot who is in love with someone who doesn't love them is you,” he said to his friend. “Leonora has to get on with her life.” Luis grabbed a drink and Pedro took it out of his hand. “Hey, what are you doing?. Come on, let's go.”
Pedro paid the bill as Luis drank the last sip from his glass.

José Carlos ran into the gate at the sight of emergency services.
What happened?” He saw Ámbar strapped to a gurney and being put into the vehicle. “Aunt!” Alejandro pulled him back. “What happened? Where was she?”
Calm down.”
She attacked. She's having a crisis. She's very sick,” Francisco said, almost in a trance. “She tried to kill us, José Carlos.”
Calm down. We have to leave her alone,” Catalina said with her usual unnatural calm. “We will take care of you,” she said to Ámbar. “Everything will be alright.”
Where are they taking her?” José Carlos asked.
To a psychiatric facility,” Catalina answered.
Why are you allowing that, Uncle?”
There is no other solution.” Catalina told him. “Her condition is dangerous to others, also for herself.”
Francisco climbed into the ambulance. The EMT personnel closed the door behind him and drove off.

The next morning Leonora waited for Baldessari to come in.
Leonora, why are you in the office so early?”
I'm here to tender my resignation,” she said.
You're doing the right thing, taking care of your pregnancy.”
I accepted a job offer at Gothier.”
Very good. It's what I always told you. You aren't a reporter; you're a fashion photographer. Yes, very good.”
I am a photographer, period.”
I never denied that. But to be a reporter needs something you don't have.”
Yes, that's right. Fucking the head of editorial. I'd rather be a fashion photographer for the rest of my life.” Baldessari stood up.
I'm sorry things turned out this way. If you regret this or change your mind, call me and we'll talk.”
Leonora stood up, gave him a look that would have made Clint Eastwood proud, and left. If I were a betting man I would say that Baldessari was the one she had once flipped off.

Catalina confronted Diego in the office. He tried to defend himself.
You told me she was dead when I arrived in Acapulco.”
No, no, no. Don't try to make me guilty of your error.”
It wasn't a mistake, but at least it wasn't my mistake.”
What are you trying to say?”
It was Ámbar... it wasn't an overdose.”
Then you will be accused of something.”
I never did anything to her.”
On the other hand, I have various doubts. Ámbar managed to escape without assistance. She survived and remained hidden all this time without assistance. She found a way to stalk me, attack me, humiliate me, get into my house and shoot me... without assistance.”
Never would I betray you. You know that.”
I don't know that.”
The only thing Ámbar can be accused of is disappearing.”
Yes, but that's your fault because she escaped from you. But don't worry. I don't believe anyone will believe a single word from her. She is crazy.”
Do you want me to take charge of her?”
I don't want to take a chance on another mistake.” She returned to her desk. “Anything else?”
The new shipment arrives this afternoon.”
In that you continue to be efficient.” She picked up her cell phone and made a dismissal gesture with it in hand. After he left she called Francisco and asked him how Ámbar was. He was at the facility.
She hasn't woken up since the first time. They told me she continues to be in shock.”
Would you like me to be there with you? I would like to see her.”
No; don't bother. They're prohibiting visitors; it wouldn't do any good for her to see them.”
What you say sounds unfair, but I understand. Keep me informed, please.”
Yes, of course.”
Catalina ended the call.

Clarita, Baldessari's secretary, called Luis to tell him that Leonora had resigned. He had had a hangover and was going to be late to the paper.

Francisco sat by Ámbar's bedside. He was exhausted from not having slept all night. She woke up and became slightly agitated.
Why? Tell me why?”
I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything I did.”
Catalina...” Her breathing became faster and more shallow.
It didn't happen. Nothing will happen. Not anymore.”
No. Catalina wanted to kill me.”
You have to calm down.”
I'm not inventing this, Francisco. I am not crazy. Catalina killed Carlos. She killed Gloria. She tried to kill me. She locked me up.” She became more agitated. “I'm not crazy. She tried to kill me. She killed Gloria. She will try to kill you. Don't treat me like this. I'm not crazy.”
She continued like this. Francisco was stunned and did not know what to do.

Leonora looked at the new subject for her camera, the diamond necklace with the ruby pendant first shown on the night of the gala.
She, Alejandro, and Catalina stood with two security men around the table – the same two who had come to the rescue the night before – with the necklace displayed on velvet as Catalina explained that it was being entered in a design competition that Alejandro would be involved in organiing. Leonora was being appointed official photographer. Catalina told her she would need to become familiar with their full line. Others involved in the project entered the room and Catalina officially introduced Leonora to them.
Alvaro stood in front wearing a subtle smirk. The others applauded Leonora in welcome.
That meeting had just ended when José Carlos arrived at the office. He greeted Leonora and as they went upstairs he warned her about their “harpy of a boss” and Leonora laughed, saying that Catalina had treated her well. “Like a serpent,” he said. “Would you like to come see my office? I have some great coffee and some really good chat if you have time.”
I don't have the time right now, thanks.”
Leonora, I'm glad you're here. This office will be much less difficult because of your presence.”
Thanks.”
As she turned toward her office José Carlos' phone rang. It was Vicky, telling him she needed to see the gynecologist. She had test results to go over and she was a little anxious.
She asked if he could help her a little with the hospital bill because she didn't have insurance at the moment. He was willing and said he would be right over. The assistant called her into the doctor's office. She was afraid and didn't want to be alone.

Dora asked Francisco about Ámbar. He explained that she was very sick and disturbed.
Bad, very disturbed. They have to keep her drugged up. It hurt badly to see her that way.”
I have a lot of guilt in this, sir,” she said.
What?”
Madame came to my house one day. She was dirty, injured. She asked me to help her and not tell anyone. I, well, she was my boss, so I listened, and I took her into my house. She was there since.”
All this time she was at your house?”
Yes. Poor woman. She told me that someone had tried to kill her.” She almost started to panic. “I know I was wrong not to tell you but I was most worried for her. I tried to take care of her all this time. All. I did the best I could to take care of her but yesterday she escaped. Forgive me, sir.”
And you took money to her, didn't you?”
Yes. She told me to look for some and I brought it to her. I gave it all to her and didn't take anything for myself. I swear.”
All this time she was here,” he said to himself. “Nearby all this time. You did this but didn't tell me.”
Forgive me, sir.”
That was very bad.”

Vicky came out of the doctor's office with a copy of her test results. The doctor's voice echoed in her mind. The manner of the clots and bleeding pointed to her abortion having been induced. She told Vicky that the symptoms typically lasted forty-eight hours.
But Doctor, my abortion was spontaneous,” Vicky said. “I didn't provoke it.”
That is contradicted in the report,” the doctor said. “These symptoms were severe and the result of a very strong abortifacient.”
José Carlos arrived and asked how she was.
Yes, I'm alright,” she said, but not in a voice that implied that. She looked as frightened as a baby rabbit staring into the eyes of a wolf.
I'm glad. Do you want me to take you home?”
No.”
Please, let me help.”
He reached for her hand and she backed away. She then left without another word.

Leonora was setting up the photo shoot. Alejandro and Alvaro were both in the room while she sat on a ladder looking down at the table where the necklace was. Alejandro stood near her out of concern for her safety.
I'm just up here for a different perspective,” she said.
I'll just make sure you don't fall,” he said.
That's alright. If you don't catch me Alvaro will.”
Of course,” Alvaro said, looking at Alejandro.
Someone came in to tell Leonora someone was there to see her. A young man. Alejandro helped her down, she put the camera on the table, and followed the secretary out.
Your wife is very agreeable,” Alvaro said.
Yes, and what did you talk about?”
My photography and stuff we both like. It's my birthday. If you want, we could see each other tonight.”
I don't think so.”
He left the conference room. Alvaro was not pleased.

Catalina massaged Francisco's shoulders as he talked. He looked as though he were still in a trance.
When she shot I thought I was afraid you were hurt. With each shot it was worse.”
I was afraid, too,” she said, staring straight ahead. “Never have I seen her that bad.”
She went on about other deaths. I knew about the others but not about my brother.”
Catalina was shocked, but he was facing away from her and didn't see her left eye betray this.
It was because of the photos,” she said.
Surely that was what killed him. She repeated what she said yesterday.”
She said she was kidnapped?”
No. That you intended to kill her.”
Poor Ámbar.” She gulped slightly. “Truly, I understand how she could feel. All this is going around in her head and tormenting her.”
Francisco stood up and looked at her.
She won't recover from this. She can never recover.”
Perhaps it would be convenient to know where she had been all this time.”
She was with Dora.”
Her employee?”
She arrived at her house dirty, injured, saying that someone tried to kill her. She is crazy.”

Leonora talked to Luis, who hadn't believed she was serious when she had threatened to resign.
I guess that was my problem with you,” she said. “You never take me seriously.”
Don't say that. You know I'd never do anything to hurt your career.”
Then why did you do it?”
I just told Baldessari that you shouldn't be working with me.”
And the rest were lies? That I should only work the society page? That my work didn't come up to standard?”
I had to do that.”
Why?”
The motorcycle accident wasn't an accident. The brake lines were cut in order to kill me.”
I was with you.”
They didn't know you would be with me.”
Catalina appeared behind her just inside the doorway.
'They?' Who?”
Leonora, I've been looking for you,” Catalina said. “Luis. How nice to see you. You look recovered.”
I'm much better. Fortunately nothing happened to me.”
Yes. Fortunately. Because motorcycle accidents can be fatal. Take care of yourself. Leonora, Alvaro said you walked out of the photography session. You can't do that. The jewelry is worth millions.”
I'm sorry,” Leonora said, coming back inside.
Don't worry. Nothing happened and it's your first day. Just remember this from now on.”
I'll call before I come over from now on,” Luis said.
Please,” Leonora said. “I'm sorry,” she said again to Catalina before going back to her task.
It's good to see you again,” Luis said to Catalina before he left.
She stared after him with subtle smile as he walked away. She may or may not have been thinking that this was another of Diego's blunders.
Diego was at the airport watching his computer screen as he spoke over his bluetooth with assistants. The shipment was half an hour late. “They could have left via other exits.”
I will look, sir,” said a bald man standing nearby. As he walked away three African women came out of the gate, going past an airport security guard. One was bent over slightly and clutching her stomach.
Are you alright?” asked the guard.
I'm fine,” she said in English.
Yes, they're here,” Diego said.
I'll be right there,” said the bald man. Another of Diego's men, one in a a grey cap and dark jacket, also turned back in his direction. A federal policeman noticed the ailing woman and stopped her; she told him she was alright. He looked for her luggage.
Diego was getting impatient, whispering to get this woman out of the area. He packed up his laptop and stood. The woman told one of the others she needed to see a doctor and collapsed into a chair. Diego went over in the guise of Good Samaritan, telling her he was going to take her to a doctor.
With a little difficulty he got her to her feet and out the door to a waiting limousine. The other three women were seated inside. He got her inside and told the driver to hurry as he got inside.

At the mental health facility a doctor told Catalina that normally visitors were not allowed in such cases but he would make an exception for her; perhaps the Larios Foundation had helped the facility. He told her that the patient was unfit to receive visitors. She said she understood and was grateful.
Ámbar woke up as soon as Catalina sat on the chair in her room.
Hello, dear,” Catalina said in a near-whisper, then pursed her lips for shushing. “Calm down. Don't be alarmed.”
She stood, took Ámbar's right hand and then covered Ámbar's mouth with her left. She continued to speak sotto voce. “Don't think to scream. This is between you and me. Be calm. I'm not here to kill you. You're not too intelligent for me. Understand that you won't be able to escape. I've taken advantage of that. I can put you down forever. Why did you return? Tell me. Why? Why were you an idiot? It's all over. You think you can cry out who I am? Too bad nobody will listen because they all believe you are crazy. Are you going to scream?”
Ámbar shook her head. Catalina paused for a moment, then released her mouth. Ámbar took a moment to speak.
Francisco will believe me.”
Don't be so sure, dear. How many years has he been deceiving you with me? How many?”
Why? Why him?”
Because he pleases me. Because he drives me crazy. Because from the moment we started making love we did so all over the place. It was your fault. You were always drugged up. It made him sick. On the other hand with me he could feel.” She made a creepy stroke down Ámbar's cheek. “We'd come back into the living room and you didn't suspect a thing. You didn't even suspect tha Francisco made me pregnant.”
Ámbar suddenly grabbed Catalina's head, wrapping her left arm around it and screamed.
Nurse, nurse, help! She is going to kill me!”
A nurse cam running in, freeing Catalina. She then restrained Ámbar's left arm
She was perfectly calm and suddenly she went crazy,” Catalina said.
Ámbar continued to protest as the nurse injected something into the IV, telling Catalina she would be alright. Catalina said something to the effect that she had never seen Ámbar like this.

Alejandro skyped with Miguel, who chided him for not having taken or returned his calls.
How are you?” Alejandro asked.
Very well. Lots of work.”
Good.”
How is it going with Leonora? Her pregnancy?”
Well. It's going well.” He noticed someone passing behind Miguel in the background. “You're not alone.”
What do you expect?”
Miguel then cut off the call. Alejandro closed the computer in frustration. As he got up from the couch in his office Leonora came in.
Well, officially it's the end of my first day here,” she said.
Really?” He looked at his watch. “Time passes quickly.”
Can we leave together?” She clearly wanted him all to herself at that moment.
I have a meeting,” he said. “It's in a restaurant in another part of town.”
They kissed, she left his office, and he sat at the desk, trying to think of the next thing to do.

Diego had the ailing woman in the back seat of his car and was driving as fast as he could while talking on his cell. He was telling the other person where he was going and that they needed a doctor there immediately. “We will be there in ten minutes,” he said, ending the call. He glanced in the interior rear view mirror and saw her slumped against the back seat. “Sabrina, Sabrina, don't fall asleep.” She did not react. “Sabrina. Sabrina!” he shouted. He stopped the car, opened the door, and pulled the driver's seat forward. He shook her gently. “Wake up. Wake up!” There was still no reaction.
He removed the seat belt and laid her out on the back seat. He shook her a few more times before realizing the horrible truth. He then pulled back to take a deep breath.

Gélica entered the kitchen to find Leonora chopping onions on the main counter space.
What are you doing?”
Sonia told me that lasagna is Alejandro's favorite, so I'm making some.”
I don't think Catalina would like this.”
If she doesn't like lasagna I could make something else.”
I'm not referring to lasagna; it's that you are here in the kitchen. If you want to have lasagna all you have to do is say so and Sonia will prepare it.”
I see. But I love to cook and I don't believe Catalina would be so annoyed about it –” She took something that looked heavy from the other counter and Gélica took it out of her hands.
Allow me,” she said. “Let Sonia do her work.”
Leonora took a can of tomato sauce out of Gélica's hand.
This is the last time I will do anything.”
Catalina came into the kitchen and asked what happened.
I was preparing a surprise for Alejandro, but Gélica tried to run me out of the kitchen.”
Gélica owned up to it.
Gélica, didn't you see that Leonora was doing something nice for her husband? Let her. Sonia, help her in any way she needs you.” She breathed in. “Hmm. Delicious. What are you making?”
Lasangna.”
Oh, it's Alejandro's favorite meal. It's too bad he's at a meeting tonight. Gélica, dear, would you make me some tea? I'd like some right away. Good night.”
Good night,” said Leonora before Catalina was out of the kitchen.
Gélica gave Leonora an “I told you so” look that also seemed to have another shade of meaning.

Catalina spoke with Diego on her cell.
Then, we have the shipment?”
We lost a mule. Sabrina. Toxic shock. She didn't survive the trip.”
How is this possible? These women are your responsibility, Diego. You're supposed to take care of them.”
She was very sick upon arrival; I couldn't have done anything. This happens at times.”
Can you recover what she had?”
I have it here; don't worry.” He looked at the cloth bag in his other hand.
Good. You must take charge of the body and advise me when you're done.”
Already doing so.”
He ended the call, then unwrapped the cloth to look at the diamonds he retrieved. They were covered in fresh blood. He then got out of the car, looked around to make sure there were no witnesses, and opened the trunk of his car.
The unfortunate woman was wrapped in heavy plastic for disposal.

Gélica massaged Catalina's shoulders as she drank her evening tea.
How awful. You're very tense tonight.”
Ámbar tried to kill me,” Catalina said. “On top of that I had to put up with José Carlos being in the house all day.”
José Carlos --”
Don't defend him to me. We may be facing another upset, another scandal about that girl. It's all too much. It's Ámbar, it's José Carlos, the business, it's everything.” She raised her cup.
Just drink your tea and relax.”
It's delicious. What's in it?”
Flowers, manzanilla, and much affection.”
Thanks,” Catalina said, drinking the last sip of the night.
Get some rest,” Gélica said as she got to the door. She turned around to watch Catalina remove the dressing gown of her black negligee.

Downstairs Leonora waited in a sleeveless red velvet dress. The table was set for dinner, complete with wine glasses. She texted Alejandro “Are you still at the meeting?”
She had no way of knowing he was in a gay club, possibly the same one he went with Miguel to.
Gélica entered the room, offering to clear the table. Leonora thanked her, saying she would wait a little longer. After Gélica noted the lateness of the hour Leonora agreed and suggested she go to bed. She then sent another text, possibly thinking that living in this household would be continually annoying. She seemed to be thinking of going to bed herself when José Carlos came home. He looked into the room and asked “What is this?”
That was supposed to be a romantic dinner but Alejandro had a meeting and now it's late.” She picked up the wine glasses to put them away but he stopped her.
I haven't eaten and you look like you haven't, so why don't we eat together?”
He held her chair out and she sat down, with a polite laugh.
Did you cook this?” he asked.
I attempted to make lasagna.”
The attempt looks pretty good. May I?”
He picked up the serving utensils and put food on their plates.
Made with a lot of love,” she said. “And how is Vicky?”
I talked to her this afternoon. She's recovering. She told me she wants to go back to work. She was a waitress in a casino.”
A casino?”
Yes. If you like lies I could say I met her at mass when I was confessing.”
That sounds interesting. But I prefer the truth.”
Your attempt at lasagna is good.” He contined to eat what he had served himself.
Leonora laughed, something she seemed to have little opportunity for in the Larios household.
Tell me, do you not have or like to be in a serious relationship? To meet someone.”
No, that's not for me.”
No? Or is it that you just have never really been in love?”
How do you know? Perhaps I'm in love right now.”
There was a slightly awkward pause as she looked at him and finally said “How mysterious. What would you say to the press. Let's pretend I'm interviewing you..”
That's a great question that deserves a great answer and I don't have one. For many years I've asked myself what my feeling is about it.”
How about 'life is like a dance.'?”
Yes. It has rhythm and melody. We dance in it, sometimes alone, sometimes accompanied.”
I like that.”
Life changes, and we change with it. We look for what we're missing to feel complete and happy. Who knows? Perhaps the secret of life is to stop running and let ourselves be surprised, for good or ill. Because in the end all we do and feel is worth the pain.”
After a brief pause, Leonora said “That was a great answer.”
Well, sometimes I can be a little profound.” He then caught himself. “That's a joke.”
It may have even occurred to him that the joke was on himself.

Alejandro walked across the dance floor, probably past some familiar faces. He spotted Alvaro at the other end of the room, dancing without his jacket on and seemingly oblivious to the rest of the room. He was not particularly graceful. He finally noticed his prey.
Happy Birthday,” Alejandro said, without feeling.
Can't I at least have a hug?”
Alejandro embraced him briefly, not really wanting to.
You said you weren't going to come.”
But I did.”
What excuse did you give your wife?”
Hey, hey, hey; don't interfere.”
No, no, no, no, no. You aren't my boss here. You can't scold me.” His smile would have gotten him terminated in a nanosecond if this had taken place at the office. “Let's dance.”
I don't like to dance.” By this time Alejandro looked as though he wanted to be anywhere else.
That's the only gift I'm asking for.”
The only one?”
For now, anyway. Dance with me.”
Alejandro began moving to the music, but without enthusiasm. Alvaro seemed to enjoy his victory, but it was very brief.

A swat team suddenly invaded the room, fully armed and armored. There were enough officers to put all the patrons up against the walls. They had been prepared for a drug raid.

Seriously, I had good grades. I'm a lawyer,” José Carlos laughed. “Enough about me. Tell me about yourself. How is the baby?”
The baby is doing well enough. I'd love to know if it's a boy or a girl. I'd love for it to be a girl; there are enough men in this family.” This made José Carlos smile.
Have you thought about a name?”
Gloria. I've loved that name since I was little.”
José Carlos became more serious.
It's a beautiful name. It was my mother's.”
Really?”
José Carlos' phone rang. He glanced at it.
Excuse me,” he said.
No, stay there. I'll get the dessert.”
She got up from the table. He waited until she was in the next room before answering sotto voce.
Alejandro, where are you?” He got up from the table and walked toward the door, saying he would be there right away. Leonora came out with a fruit tart.
That looks delicious. Vicky called,” he said. “She's not feeling well, so I'm going over to see her.”
Oh, by all means, go to her.”
Thanks for dinner. It was delicious. For those moments, life is worth the pain. I have to go. Bye.”
He left and she looked out at the empty room.

Gélica was sitting at Catalina's bedside, caressing her sleeping boss. She looked up guiltily at the knock on the door.
Leonora wanted to talk to Catalina to find out whether she had heard from Alejandro. Gélica explained that she was asleep, but that she didn't think so. It was not usual for him to call at this hour. Leonora tried to look past Gélica, who realized this and moved accordingly.
Is everything alright?” Leonora asked.
I'm taking care of things,” she replied.
Alright. Good night.”
Good night.”
Leonora left. Gélica closed and locked the door, then sat down. She was afraid of her own secret coming out.

José Carlos scolded Alejandro as he escorted him out of the police station.
You're an imbecile. Leonora prepared a romantic surprise for you, full of illusions and you go to a gay bar?”
Enough, enough! Lower your voice. The police invaded a dance club. It was a mistake.”
No. The mistake was you not telling Leonora who you really are and are still deceiving her.”
How do you have the nerve to sermonize me, brother?”
It's not a sermon. You have the right to enjoy yourself any way you like as long as you don't lie to anybody. You have to understand also that this has been your life.”
José Carlos, you have to promise me. Nobody is to find out about this.”
José Carlos made a subtle sigh of frustration.
I won't tell anyone but you have to make a decision.”

When Alejandro got home Leonora was in bed, but still awake. He got into bed next to her without having removed his clothes. She pointedly tried to ignore him by saying nothing and turning away.
I'm sorry, really,” he said, embracing her. He kissed her shoulder, then her cheek, then her lips. She then was not inclined to anger.
José Carlos also couldn't sleep that night. He tossed and turned on the couch in his room. He heard sounds in the corridor and got up to investigate. Alejandro and Leonora's room was across the corridor and Alejandro had left the door open. José Carlos saw their bare legs under the sheet and realized exactly what he had heard.



Labels:


Comments:
Alright, amigos, it's up. So here are the questions:

-- Did Catalina kill Carlos' first wife? Is that the real trauma Jose Carlos hasn't remembered yet?

-- How long has Catalina been buying blood diamonds and how many mules have died in the process?

-- How much of Vicky's case does the Larios family doctor know about?

Tonight is the Hump or the halfway mark episode.


 

Thanks, Urban, for your outstanding recap.

Well, well, well, it looks like Catalina has one too many plates to juggle and things are starting to spiral out of her control.

Good old Diego’s days could be numbered with the second strike on his record with the death of the poor smuggler,

So glad Vicky found out about the “induced” abortion. Time for her to tell JC.

Loved Ambar taking one last crack at Catalina in spite of being in constraints.


 

RESTRAINTS! Problems with posting on the old phone.
 

Thanks UA! Your inclusion of dialogue was helpful.

Despite that final scene it seems like Leonora and JC are getting closer. Leonora may have caught on when JC said "Perhaps I'm in love right now.". There is no way that Alejandro can keep his secret forever. Either he will have to tell Leonora or someone else will let it slip or Leonora will see it with her own eyes. If JC continues to prove himself to everyone including viewerville maybe he and Leonora could end up together. Just a thought.....

Hopefully Vicky uses her brain to realize what happened. Catalina made her out to be a fool. She could now rectify that.

I agree that Diego is definitely in trouble. I don't much about the history of blood diamonds (whether in real life or a fictional story) but it obviously has its risks and casualties.

Ámbar isn't going down without a fight but how long will that last?




 

Another simply amazing recap UA! Wonderful. Your screen shots were incredible.

There are many levels of cruelty but Catalina ascended the ladder quickly in her taunting of Ambar. In her fragile and captive state, frantic to tell the truth who on earth will believe her now? I do suspect there is a troublesome bit of truth that has pricked Francisco's conscious. If our hopes rest on Luis, we may be gravely disappointed.

Poor Vicky! I guess Catalina had to throw caution to the wind as time was of the essence. She needed to give Vicky something quick acting that would do the filthy deed. Jarifa, I fear she intends to tell JC. She likely thinks Cat did it for JC. i hope I am wrong!

I enjoyed JC and Leonora TF. I would like them to get together once JC grows up.

Alvaro turns my stomach. Alejandro needs to stay with Leonora or go to Miguel. Alvara's insinuating himself into his life is very bad news.

So, Gélica has been drugging Catalina. I mistakenly thought Catalina was aware of the secretive groping. It appears she was indeed sleeping. Heaven knows what is in that tea.

Karen, glad you are back and watching this!

Urban, thank you, thank you.

Diana
 

Jarifa, I fear Vicky does NOT intend to tell JC...

Diana
 

Unless JC was completely drunk, stoned, or both I doubt that Vicky would have known anything about the will or its codicil. This is not something to broadcast except to a group of lawyers and judges during probate. Or to tell a shrink.

The writers are telling us that irrespective of whatever she's done for a living Vicky is a pure-hearted Mexican girl who wants babies, with or without a husband. I hope she remembers what the "Vitamin B" pill looked like.

Alvaro is pure poison. He could destroy Alejandro and all he would have to do is send pictures to Leonora's cell phone. He has been looking to get Alejandro found out from the get go.
 

Your usual superb recap, Urban! Love the visuals and I also loved "as calm as sharks in deep water" and "subtle smirk." So Gloria, Juan Carlos's mother, might have been Catalina's first homicide? We had a literal case of "blood diamonds" here as well. Could the drug mule's body end up being Catalina's undoing? One can only hope!
 

One way or another, Catalina is responsible for Sabrina's death. While Diego would not have been able to do anything about what happened to Sabrina, he is responsible and by extension so is Catalina.

Diamonds are artificially valuable because one family has a virtual monopoly on them. If that were not the case they would be priced far lower than they are. In and of themselves they don't kill. However, the blood diamond conflict was about how they were used as currency in funding ugly wars in those areas. The Clean Diamond Trade Act of 2003 was to regulate the international sale of diamonds to prohibit the importation of diamonds whose mining fuels conflict in the country of origin.

Smuggling is an international crime. I suspect that penalties for smuggling vary depending on the value of the goods in addition to being more severe with each successive offense.

In this case Catalina, Diego, and Francisco could go to prison for a very long time.
 

Of course they are powerful people who seem to have bribed the authorities before.
 

Thanks for that very enlightening information on the diamond industry UA and on the "wars"....and also for that lovely title. Had I not watched the movie Sabrina a gazillion times I wouldn't have known the poem.

The work you put into these with the screencaps and translations of the dialogue is simply amazing. You are a treasure.
 

UA..thank you .

I am interested in seeing what Catalina's anvil will be and who will finally cause her undoing. Gelica (who is a little creepy herself) perhaps.
 

Sorry this is so late, Urban. Was doing yard work--in preparation for doing El Dragon recap tonight! The dialog for this episode is just amazing. Thank you.

I'm actually finding Cuna much more fascinating than El Dragon, but who am I to turn down a gaze or two at Seb Rulli.

I'm still convinced Alvaro sent pictures of himself to Alejandro. It was hard to tell from the photos themselves, but later in that episode, Alva tells Ale that he just wanted Ale to know that he's the one good for him. He wouldn't have sent him photos of Miguel to achieve that end. Only my opinion, though.

If Catalina has this big secret about Ale's origins and the threat JC posed to his succession, she had YEARS to plot and plan how to get rid of him and make it look like an accident. Then she wouldn't have needed all the subsequent murders, haha. It's just a story, it's just a story.
 

Thanks for another great recap UA. I don't know if any of you are on the west coast but it seems my broadcast are edited from what is posted. The brief scene with Gelica trying to clear the dinner wasn't there and couple enjoying one another was edited as well. Weird and this isn't the first time I've noticed slight differences.

UA, ITA Alvaro is pure poison. If someone else doesn't spill the beans on Alex, he surely will. As Diana noted, he makes me ill. It's obvious he's horrible.

Diana, sadly ITA that Vicky won't JC her concerns. This probably makes her susceptible as another person Catalina may kill.
 

Whoa... I was thinking of Maria Full of Grace about Colombian drug mules.

Anita, I blew up the photo and it seems to be Alvaro's face but it was photoshopped onto a body I don't think is his, one that looks more like Miguel's. Either way, what he is doing is disgusting and not likely to get him anything he wants. More likely to get a bite from a golden lancehead viper: Catalina.

We don't know when Carlos made out his will or when Catalina found out about its contents. We also don't know what he would have changed it to. And if she killed JC's mother, how does that get proven now, all these years later?

I doubt that Carlos knew about the blood diamonds. I also doubt that he knew about Alejandro's sex life. Catalina can tell any lie she wants to about that since he isn't alive to correct her.

Where we are now is that there are two guys who genuinely want Leonora: Luis and JC. I hope the authors didn't go Caridad Bravo Adams on that for the finale.
 

UA—Thanks for doing the research for me. Of course he would have to have photoshopped the body. He’s not very buff, even through his shirts you can see that!!!
 

Maria Full of Grace! Oh my, thanks for clearing that up, UA. Anyway, the scene was a very sad portrayal of the collateral damage of being a drug mule. However I did enjoy the realism of Diego having a very difficult time dragging the poor woman into the car. Usually we have these buff hunks lifting up women with no trouble. For Diego, maneuvering her was darn nigh impossible.
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder