Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Destilando Amor - March 28 - it's a long downhill slide from here, folks.

Have we yet discussed why Gaviota is wearing celery stalks (ok, agave leaves) on her head in the intro?

[Also I gotta say, these actors with agave machetes are not believable. Are you guys remembering to hold them with the sharp side down? You look like you're dabbing at those plants, not hacking at them. Well, maybe the props guy said "Be careful, don't wreck them, they have to last all week, agaves don't grow on trees you know."]

We open with Gaviota singing a good song and Rod gazing at her with intimations of impending turgidity. "What I feel for Gaviota is LOVE!" he explains to himself. Heh heh. Where was he when he was 16 years old?

[I LIKE this galan! He's cute in that caveman way, he looks guapo on a horse, and he's the first good kisser since Colunga.]

James is very drunk and inveigles Roman into taking him off to a bigger town to see more pretty girls.

When the hypnotic spell of LOVE wears off a bit Rodrigo notices James is gone and asks Gav to go with him to search for James in all the other cantinas. When the expedition (unsuccessful) is over Rod takes Gav home, asks for a kiss and gets one. There is excellent music in the rhythm of a huapango and he tells her he loves her.

Her mother is cross. "A a boy from the Big House isn't going to be allowed to love a humble girl. You've never had a boyfriend before, you should listen to the voice of experience: 'Only in the telenovelas.' " [This refrain, which they've used several times already, is a bit too self-referential for me...]

Next morning James staggers in with Roman; he's still wearing the ridiculous argyle sweater vest. He tells Sofia he loves the dance, the tequila, the music ... she tells him to take a bath. Later he tells her he loves "the light, the colors, the traditions! Marry me! I'll buy a home here." "What about my career?" "You can study in Guadalajara." "I can't be entombed here, I'm going back to London, you'll have to decide."

Nice sister Daniela says: "Maybe this is his essence." "I lived with him a year, I know, it isn't. I want the old James back, not this absurd one." Meanwhile James is agog at the gorgeous scenery and so am I.

The family gossips about Rodrigo - why is he in such a good mood? James tells them: "because he's in love with a beautiful jimadora." The grandma is critically impactada and says that's a lousy joke. Sister Daniela (because she's the Good Sister) says: "I just want to see my brother happy."

Gav and her ma have gone off to the village market where Gav gets grabbed by a sort of sleazy magazine seller-photographer who burbles on about international models etc. I see a plot point in the making here.

We hear honking - it's Clark Kent - with his super vision he has spotted Gav among all these people and is honking! They go off together to enjoy his last day. They smooch in the cantina, he gives her his huge Rolex. They smooch more. He tells her she's the first girl he's loved, and he'll be back from London in a year to marry her. "The 21st of March, don't forget, we'll go to the nearest church and get hitched."

James returns to the Big House and tells Sofia: "I love you, but I can't leave here just yet, I have to stay a while." She emotes briefly and dumps him.

Rod wheedles Gav (OK she didn't need much wheedling) to watch the sunset with him from the agave field on the hill. "It's the happiest day of my life." He says: "You set my blood on fire." Heh.

Night fell during the commercials and so did Gaviota. There, amid the agaves and the super-scratchy stubble ... "Now I'm totally yours."

Grandma, with her Phyllis Diller-type plastic surgery, monologues to her recently deceased husband's photo: "You always wanted to keep the family together but your crappy will is gonna sow discord between Aaron and Rodrigo." James enters, thanks her for her hospitality, says Sofia dumped him and he's decided to move to the pueblo. (I don't know if this is a pueblo named Pueblo or just a pueblo because the closed captions are all capital letters.)

Rod tells James he's gotten engaged to the lovely jimadora! He must have told him other stuff too because James, who is happy for him, responds: "Ah, I'm glad you're finally a complete man." "Don't tell the family, I don't want things to be difficult for her while I'm away."

On his last morning in town, Rod visits the new organic agave fields ("They're so modern, the tequila they make will be a sensation!" says the dad. "Unless they get torched by the villains," says this jaded recapper).

Gav and her mom are cleaning up, ready to move on. The ma goes to do errands. Gaviota prays to the Virgin, "please let Rod come to me cause I can't go to the Big House..."

There's a knock on the door! Guess who! They embrace and say goodbye and smooch and etc. They won't be able to write each other because she has no address and things have to be hidden from people in the big house. She says she has his watch to remember him by and will never take it off; she bounces off and digs up a cassette of "Carmela the Argentine" to give him in return.

Then she asks (probably for the 20th time): "I'm the only woman in your life? You've never been with another?" "You're my first, and you'll also be the last - in fact, I can't love any other woman." "Why not?" "Dunno, but it doesn't matter now. Anyway, remember - the 21st of March - I'll be back for you." "I'll be waiting!"

The ma, who watched all this, prophesizes: "You'll suffer - just like in the telenovelas."

[We already know from the advances that, due to this one roll in the agave fields, Gav is going to get pregnant. So she - and Rod - get pregnant their first time out, at the same time they lose their virginity. I predict Rod is not going to have sex with any other woman ever, he'll be the Hippolita of the show.

And we also know that after these couple episodes of happiness Rodrigo and Gaviota are going to suffer like crazy for months. so I hope you got an eyeful of those happy smooches.]

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Melinama for the quick and funny recap. I too saw the photographer-model scout as a plot point. And I'm find myself enjoying the galan also. Now let the suffering begin. Do you know how many capitulos are in this novela? Thanks again.

Karen
 

thanks melinama for the excellent recap. loved your comments also.

Karen - i heard that this will be about 125 or 126 episodes.

FYI: at the beginning of FC's career, he worked as a stunt double and Eduardo was one of the actors he stunt doubled for.

J.R. :)
 

Thanks for the great recap...I love this show, I don't have to think, I missed Aaron last nite...But I kinda liked Rod getting his tweleve year old freak on. I think Pilar is very scary..very...
I guess with the passing of the watch Gav & Rod are goin steady
 

Ive peeked at this show to see what was going on. The scenary sure is beautiful as is the galan. At first I didnt like Gaviota, but after reading about Molly Picon I decided to give my attitude, in regards to Gaviota, another shot. Her scene with Rod where she was learning where London is really bugged me. But! Last night as she hopped in his truck I could feel her charm.

So what Im trying to say is my new appreciative attitude is due to the great lesson you gave us about Molly Picon Melinama. Thank you for that. I think yall have a winner for a novela.
 

Thanks for the quick recap. I must've missed something...How old are Gav and Rod suppose to be? I don't recall her saying it was her first time, but I suppose it was. Why do we get so little of the good stuff and so much of the suffering?
jb
 

Wow, thanks, Lynn! That makes me feel great. I, too, liked Gaviota better last night. If I forget the mistake they made trying to pretend she was an "innocent young thing" her own actual presence is fine.
 

jb, it was her mother who "reminded" her ("as you know, Gaviota"): "Be careful, you've never had a boyfriend before."

Beckster was the one who instituted the phrase 35-year-old virgin I think, we don't actually know how old Rod is. Or Gav.
 

Well Rod is getting his Doc. in London, so he'd have to at least be mid twenties..and Pilar made the remark to Amador, before she sent him into the final death spiral about a woman 25 years ago.

So I'm thinking they are like 25 him maybe 30, they are just on the slow track.
 

Ha ha! Impending turgidity, that's great! This term might have to become a recap staple, it's so...descriptive.

Rod looks at least 35 or 40, but this is telenovela land so I suppose we could be convinced he's in his late 20's.

J.R. interesting trivia about FC being Eduardo's stunt double.

Thanks for the great recap Melinama! I want a headdress just like Gaviota's crown (halo?) of agave spikes.
 

Okay I just checked out the internet movie database...Rod was born in 1960 (I mean Eduardo) & Gav whoever was born in 1970...Rod is still pretty hawt for a 46 year old virgin.
 

jb---Ahhhh, the question that philosophers and normal folks have been pondering through the ages, ''Why do we get so little of the good stuff and so much of the suffering?'' Great recap, melinama. I have been looking at Gav's nose a lot ever since someone [Sylvia???] compared it to Karl Malden's. But I really love Rodrigooo , the Big and Tall. He has such an expressive face...his body is pretty expressive , too. I enjoyed the comment someone made about the look that came over his face when THE BIG MOMENT arrived. I am counting the moments until he sends Aaron flying through the fields. J.R. --I can't believe that Fernando Colunga was Eduardo's stunt guy!! Eduardo seems bigger and a bit younger than FC. I might have thought it was the other way around. Did Eduardo grow up in Mexico or the U.S. ? The reason I ask is that he looks like he was a football player because football players and wrestlers get really big necks from doing bridges as part of their workouts. [Meaning that they lie on their backs and push themselves up into a kind of backbend but using their heads instead of their hands. This strenghthens and develops their neck muscles and makes them buy shirts with 17''-18'' necks.] I think that it's sad that our 2 starcrossed lovers got only one noche de amor in the fields before they will be separated. [Kind of like Luis and Hip except that Rod was not a mystery boinker. Gee, Luis and Hip were separated for 3 years...but for the novela watchers it was only for a few episodes.]^^^^Susanlynn, rushing off to pesky work
 

Sylvia~~`About Gav's headress [what is up with that??? Was she like ''Miss Agave 2005''??]--Anyway, would you settle for one of those foam Statue of Liberty headpieces ??-I could pick one up for you the next time I am in NYC !!^^^susanlynn, always trying to help make dreams come true
 

This is becoming my new favorite show. I've been hooked to LFMB from day one,but loving this show. I can't remember the lead character playing Rodrigo,but what a hunk. Love it..
 

here is the link to the IMDB mini bio on Rod/Eduardo...this guy is pretty impressive & a virgin too...well he was
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0951278/bio
 

The agave headpiece reminds me of the costumes of Astrid Hadad, a mexican cabaret performer who mocks all things mexican.

check out what's on the web about her.
 

Oh my god I like Rod even better now that I know he's 46. Yum. He's not my type - I never liked those thick-necked types - but I can appreciate... I think the agave head-dress might be a winner merchandising opportunity for Caray, Caray!
 

Great recap! I agree that Rod is a hunk----and 46?????? I just love it when he smiles!!!!Very pleasant to look at!! I am beginning to like Gav, too. But she is in for a lot of heartbreak! Becky T.
 

I tried to watch, but the scene in the cantina with Gaviota (what kind of name is that?) in her peasant sytle blouse, posing, pushing up the "girls", shoulders back...ick.

To top it off, as it were, the credits with her wearing an agave - ridiculous. I know she's playing a younger part, but puhleeze....no more Miss Agave pics.

Call me shallow...I hope I never watch this & start liking it, because I'll have to eat these words and those agave spikes are fierce.
 

Ah, Anya, I have just started sending the word out: I want a copy of that picture with Miss Agave in the spiky crown! We're going to start manufacturing them here, it's a merchandise goldmine, we'll make a fortune, you'll be sorry you missed the fun.
 

I always tune out at the worst possible time... apparently I was just a few minutes away from seeing that look of impending turgidity. Feh!!

I'm not convinced that Rod should go away for a year if he's in love now... wouldn't it make more sense for him to marry her now and then go to Europe... duh... must... shut... brain... off...
 

thanks for the recap!

i re to beckster's comment about gaviota being 25... well, plastic surgery grandma (pilar) mentioned about a love affair 25 years ago, but that does not mean that gaviota was born from it. if that were to be the case, i'd think gaviota's mom would have gone insane knowing that gaviota is hooking up with her own nephew. instead, clarita chooses to accentuate on the fact that they are not for each other because of their social differences. i also notice how pilar mentioned it's ok that rodrigo falls in love with a poor woman, just NOT a jimadora. i think that clarita or maybe even clarita's mom and and don amador loved each other, but it was never possible because of social class, and pilar has that insecurity inside with jimadoras in gerenal. plus, don amador and clarita are 2 very different generations... clarita is more the age of rodrigo's parents, so wouldn't that be weird...? dunno, just wondering :)

i loved the scene in the litte hut house yesterday, when they were saying goodbye. they have SUCH good chemistry! :)

ps: if gaviota got pregnant doens't mean that they got pregnant after the first shot. remember when they started the sun was setting and when they ended it was dark! :)
 

WOWEE!! Eduardo does not look 46 to me. Gee, a 46 year old virgin--how many of those are around?? I thought that the guess someone made that he was 35 seemed about right. I think he looks younger than FC who I believe is 40. He certainly acts young and energetic and full of good humor....which makes for a winning combination in my book...a big, goodlooking, goodnatured, sweet, personable guy. As opposed to Emiliooo , Eduardo/Rodrigooo actually shows evidence of a personality.Don't get me wrong; I still prefer FC, but I do like the big dudes.^^^Susanlynn
 

The phrase "impending turgidity" will have to be incorporated into "Oozing Love's" redactions along with other famed descriptors much like our beloved "impactado". I nearly choked on my morning coffee reading that gem. Thanks, Melinama for starting my day off with more than a few mischievous giggles!
 

ps: i just read on the esmas website that due to its high success rates, the novela got extended 100 capitulos...yikes! not sure if that's a good sign. hopefully most of those will be love scenes :)
 

Fernando Mendiola? Rod is "my" guy..What a hunk of burning love is he.?Wow..When he rides in on that horse and smiles that Sammy Davis smile,my heart melts.Not many men can wear cowboy hats and look as good as Rodrigo..Geez what a man.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder