Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Destilando 5/9: Gav quits for the second time and gets a corner office; irony abounds.

  • "Any man would give his life to be with you," whispers Aaron to his sister-in-law Isa. There is heavy petting and, no doubt, more.

    After [insert your particular speculations about what took place], Isa asks "Now what?" Aaron: "Life continues." "It was crazy..." "No reproaches, Isa!"

    She helpfully delineates the situation: "How can there be no blame when I've just shagged my best friend's husband, my own husband's cousin?!" "We needed each other. I liked finding your passion - we share a secret. Let's not lose the moment." They kiss, she wants more but he pulls away with these parting words: "You'll sleep like an angel tonight."

    Because Isa skipped the acting lesson on "emoting," her face is completely passive as she says: "What a stupidity I just committed."

  • While Aaron is cavorting with Isa, Hilario is thought-bubbling about his own roll in the hay with that very same straw-haired lady of the manor. "She is the wife of the patron" he reminds himself out loud.

    "What, are you praying?" asks SanJuana as she bounces in. I can see the underwire in her ultra-pushup bra again. She bounces into his lap oblivious of his dark mood. She soon accuses him of changing, he admits it. "Have you been with another?" His silence is the answer and she bounces up and down and yells a lot of things that weren't in my dictionary.

    Rod clears his throat a lot as he interrupts. "Am I interrupting?" SanJuana bounces out.

    Rod says "she sounded jealous." "I told her she's wasting her time on me." "She's pretty, yes?" "I don't love her." Of course this is Rod's favorite subject and he eagerly advises: "It doesn't matter how pretty a woman is if your heart belongs to another! Struggle for your love!" I guess this is some heavy-handed irony, what? Heh.

    Ofelia knows about Hilario's boinking of the Massa's wife and reassures her poor son: "You'll get over it - you were just her little adventure."

    So SanJuana goes to the witch again and gets an amulet. "Put it somewhere hot, and make sure nobody but you touches it or its power will flow into their hands."

    She puts it in a salt shaker by the stove. Ofelia moves it ("why did somebody put this salt shaker here?") SanJuana moves it back, Ofelia moves it again, this time she randomly shakes it and it doesn't sound like salt so she opens it and takes out the amulet and puts it on and soon Roman comes in and is overcome with lust and they rush into the pantry and make out, and Hilario finds them. That was today's comic relief.

  • At work next day, Videgaray and Aaron discuss Mariana's competence and her feisty spirit ("She even fought with your cousin.")

    Apropos of absolutely nothing, in the middle of a sentence, Aaron picks up the phone and without preamble barks, "Lower the price of our tequila by thirty percent!" Videgaray is aghast. Aaron: "This way we'll snag our competitors' best customers." "But you can't do this, it would be disloyal to our union." "In case you haven't noticed, I find your presence uncomfortable, and in fact, you're useless." "But it will affect our industry..." "Shut up! I decide! I'm the decider!"

  • Minerva calls Aaron from home. Fedra is with her and tells Aaron about Rod's turning down the invitation to the Congress.

    Team Aaron of course wants Rodrigo in the city, far from the hacienda when the day laborers roll in, so he won't see Gaviota - as Minerva summarizes: "If Rod gets with Gaviota, she might get preggers pronto and then Aaron will never forgive me."

    They decide they'll get Granny to pressure Rod into going to the Congress. To condense many tiresome conversations into a few words: "Rodrigo, you'll go!" "No I won't!" "Yes, you will!" "No, I won't!"

    He gives in, partially because James points out: "Gaviota won't come back on the 21st of March. To her, that's a terrible day, it's the day you broke your sacred promise to her and married Isa." "Hmm, I never thought about it that way. Yeah, if she comes, it will be for my grandfather's mass."

    Isa shows up all impactada from her illicit boinking and hugs Rod, making her special impassive face behind his back. (The producers may think they can hide her dull, paralyzed features with a lot of black eye makeup but I'm wise to them.)

  • There is still trouble with customs. Aaron decides to fire his customs guy and Patricio shows up in about five minutes with a new one who "has friends" and will be able to facilitate everything. Aaron boasts he'll soon be exporting more tequila than ever before and all must go flawlessly.

    Another guy shows up - some video is being made (an infomercial?) about Turquoise Tequila. Aaron needs somebody he trusts to go to the hacienda and help get the most evocative shots of the agave fields etc. He tells Gav/Mariana to go and she says "No!" and he says "Yes you will!" and she says "No I won't, I quit!" and he says "No, you don't! I decide around here! I'm the decider! Elvira, buy her ticket! Mariana, what's your problem? Are you thinking of jumping ship to one of my competitors, do you want a raise?"

    In the end, though, she wins! She doesn't go and he yells a lot about how he trusts her and she can't quit - and he sends Quintana instead. Wow, she got Aaron to stand down! Pretty good!

    Not only that, but after Quintana leaves for the airport Aaron opens a goodie bag and takes out a cellphone and PDA for Mariana. "While I'm away so much on business I'll need a manager here. She suggests Videgaray but he pish-tushes, "he has no vision, he's just a bureaucrat, no, it will be you." He gives her somebody else's office and tells Elvira to take orders like a good little viper of a secretary. Then he says Mariana will have to get a nice new car, they'll deduct payments from her salary.

    Elvira calls Minerva and rats about all this, counseling Minerva not to have another screaming fit just yet, it won't be effective. Minnie decides she'll wait till everybody's together for the grandfather's mass. And THEN have a screaming fit. There's a good idea.

    At the end of the day Gav goes home to Mommie and reports on all this and her promotion and car etc. and they both bounce up and down, giggle and bounce, giggle and bounce.

  • Sofia is all happy saying goodbye to Team Aaron - she's going to the stylist and then to the airport to pick up James.

    James is at that very moment on his way to say goodbye to Meliton, he's packed his bags etc. and said goodbye to Rodrigo using his extremely poor English.

    Well, Meliton isn't home -- but Acacia is lying on her bed in fetal position as she is wont to do.

    "I've come to say goodbye, but first I want to know, are you in love with your uncle?" [I almost laughed writing that - how could he say that line with a straight face? -- Ed.] "If not, why do you tolerate this?"

    "He deceived me. When my aunt died, he swore to take care of me and send me to school, but instead he raped me and made me his woman." "We need to denounce him to the authorities." "No," she says in a very methodical manner, "eventually he'll have to die, and all these mountains will be mine, I inherited them from my aunt." "He has to pay!" "No, just go." "Let's go together, I'll protect you."

    "No, I won't leave here -- but if you leave, I'll burn your crop." "You're blackmailing me? If I stay silent, you make me an accomplice in this shameful situation."

    She crawls to him and whispers, "Stay, I need you to stay." He hugs her.

    So he doesn't go to the city. Sofia sits on the floor and sobs and curses. Meliton is surprised but pleased that James has changed his mind about leaving; he says he'll have Acacia clean James's room, but James says no, he'll be staying elsewhere.

  • At Aaron's office, Granny is insisting that all must attend Amador's second-year-post-death mass. Gav says she'll help organize it. Aaron doesn't wanna go, he's too busy, but he gets nagged into it. Rod doesn't wanna go either and the nagging is not being effective.

    So Aaron puts Gav in charge of nagging Rod. She gets him on the phone and adopts her hoarse disguised voice. She has no luck convincing him to go - he yells NO and hangs up on her. He thought-bubbles: "That Mariana Franco is irritating." Gav seethes: "This is the real Rodrigo, what an egoist, what could be more important than his grandfather's mass?"

    Rod croons to his grandfather's picture: "I know you'd want me here working the harvest, and besides - my Gaviota will come!"

Labels:


Comments:
Quick and enjoyable as always!
**Because Isa skipped the acting lesson on "emoting,"** A result of a Casting Couch audition no doubt and her providing the basketball sized pillows?
=============
That Aaron is such a dog --naw, make that a Tomcat. This guy either has an overactive libido or is obsessed, because it is as if he strives to put as many notches on his 6-shooter as he possible can and it does not matter with whom or how or why.
=============
As for the Acacia/James scene, it gave me the creepy crawlies to think that he would continue on there at Meliton's, asking for this youn girl's adult affections knowing every night that she is actually having to fool around with the craggy old coot.
 

Hola! This recap/chat page is terrific. I am going to try to post here because I can’t resist. My comment is that it seems like neither Gavi nor Rod are particularly taken with the other’s attitude and manners on the phone. Perhaps they aren’t so suited for each other after all. Now wouldn’t that be a turn around for a telenovela! They are alma gemela in the haystack (perdon, agave field) but not in the day to day world. Actually, that sounds like a lot of young lovers. Good reason to get to know each other before …
 

What a valuable lesson for those climbing the ladder of success in corporate America..Cold cock a couple of your fellow co-workers,lie on your resume,resign twice,,talk that agave language,speak a few words of English, German & French that you learned, not from Roseta Stone or the classroom,but the nuns in Londres..Promotion,promotion..Where was Gavi back when I was making that climb?.

Say it's so that Rod finally find Gavi tonight..
 

I hope you're right exportred, Gavi wants to be found. I too wish I had gone to that two month vo-tech school for executive exceleration...
jb
 

Hee Hee Hee..the sound of me snickering at the recap..Perhaps TWB...is really a great actress..maybe her TWB role is just too draining..NOT

Didn't Aaron have an awesome..screaming mimmey in the office..

I bet no one regrets not having a Catholic Education more than Elvira..

Oh and Sofia...pleas cry me a river..forced to sit around crying in "turtlenecks"
 

No waterproof Mascara in Mexico.? I can mail Sofia some that will stick to her eyelashes like glue,but when she cleans her face,her eyelashes will fall off--that would not be good.

That Aaron is a walking sex machine,and that raspy voice from being a smoker..What a guy..
 

Judging by the slow, lack of progress the love birds are having making a connection, I'm not counting on the two of them making contact in tonights episode. For one thing, in the previews all I saw was a hand pulling away Gavi's dark glasses? Was it Rod's hand? Or did someone else walk in before Rod? As for Gavi, I'm getting a little tired of her magical schemes. They seem to be more about how she can manipulate and control Aaron than how she can make contact with Rod. Say what you will about Aaron. He's quick tempered, arrogant, evil, egotistical etc, all in a very charming way. I'm not ready for him to meet his fate this early in the novela. Since there are so many more episodes to go, things would be kinda dull without him.
 

"I am the decider." Ah, that one's always a surefire laugh-inducer, but I never thought I'd find it twice in one recap. ;-)
 

Love Aaran, even though he is such as rascal!!
Frances
 

Thanks for the recap Melinama. I know I have fun watching Aaron's non bedroom activities but I didn't realize he had such a sense of humor as well. When Aaron told Gavi he was giving her a car, she said it was too much and she didn't know what to say. To which he replied, "Great, because I don't want to hear it!" I agree with Marketta that Aaron can't get caught to soon b/c he is riot.

Also I hope Rod and Gavi really do meet but in order to not get my hopes up I'm betting its a fantasy sequence.

Karen
 

Aaron is very entertaining. I laughed so hard at his parting coment to Isa that she'd sleep well. He's a smooth one! LOL
He's carrying the show right now. Rodrigo and James seem lobotomized.

Rod must be related to Gaspar on "Duelo de Pasiones" - one track mind - mi muñequita,or in Rod's case, mi jimadora, mi jimadora.

Did Isa have her whole face botoxed? She could be such a great fiera, or long suffering, sweet wife, but no, she's a stupid clod.
There is no life in her face (or hair). What's that called - no affect?

Lucky Gavi, not even an associates degree from Agave Community College, and she's the gerente of a major corporation in macho Mexico, no less. I want on that fast track, please.

Marketta - good call, maybe it's not Rodrigo pulling off Gavi's sunglasses. Duh, I never considered that possibility.
 

Great recap and so fast!

Wow, the esmas site mislead me- I thought this episode would be... let's just say I was on the edge of my seat for no reason. I guess it was mostly filler.

haha Mr. James speaks slow english AND spanish.

TWB really earned the "w" in her name this time. and you're right she can't act. But in Mexico she's a sex symbol so.. It's not like we don't have any of those types of actresses in America

I like Aaron only because he's pretty straight forward. He doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a dog. I'm the decider! ha


I am confused-why is minnie angry with Gav if she saw the photo in the newspaper was Torreblacnca and Aaron, not Gav and aaron. ?
 

I think Minnie is mad at Gavi because a) she believes everything Elvira says and b) she thinks Gavi is facilitating Aaron's naughty meetings.

Anya - yes, that's what the psychiatry types describe as affect. There are many terms to describe affect - its range and how well it's keyed to the person's actual mood. At the low end, we have "blunted" and then "flat."

For a person to be as angry as Isadora supposedly is, but to show it so little, suggests one or more of the following:

1. She is trying to conceal the fact that she's upset. This appears not to be the case.

2. She is mentally ill. Surprisingly, this also appears not to be the case.

3. She is being portrayed by a less-than-awesome actress, and the director has given up trying to get her to emote.

4. The actress knows how to emote and would like to, but her features are frozen as a result of botox abuse, so all she can do is inflect her voice. If she remembers.
 

Bravo Aaron! You gotta love him for being smart and doing what he does without apologies or illusions.

Anya, good call about Rod and James. Maybe there will be a flashback to a lobotomy scene that explains why they are so slow...
 

Thanks for a fabulous recap and the wonderful comments. It's great to have y'all to count on.
Aaron should given an award by some organization--in the midst of his busy and demanding career, he has time to provide volunteer service to many deprived women.
 

I absolutely love this telenovela, I was just trying to wing it by my poor elementary spanish reading in between the lines by watching the faces and emotions to get the jist of the story, but Oh My God, you guys are awesome, the recaps are AWESOME!!...Okay so my turn to vent about the characters...
Sofia's a biznatch(not sure if I can swear), how can she want James now?? She turned down and away...screw her and her pathetic tears...let him and Acacia who to me is a dead ringer for that scary movie "THE RING"...I hate Minerva, but I love to hate her...and Aaron, well, he is a completely and totally believeable a-hole, everytime he starts going into his tantrums I hold my breath thinking this will be the moment this man drops for real into a heart attack!!...and of course of course... that RODRIGO(EDUARDO YANEZ)IS A TALL GLASS OF WATER ON A HOT SUMMER DAY :)
 

Thanks for recap.

When strangers say it a hole.... Aaron the pessimist says its a bagel.

*june*
 

Yolanda, please define "bizsnatch" for a fuddy duddy like me. Trust me, it is to better understand the world around me. I have had to have someone define CFM heels also. I am not proud.
 

Anonymous 2:34. LOL!
 

Wonderful recap Melinama. You are always clever with the zingers, that's for sure! "I'm the decider"...good one.

Biznatch = perra

Hey, Aaron died of a heart attack when he was Cesar in Heridas so it could happen again here.
 

Syliva: Tks! One never stops learning the finer things in life.....I anticipate that Minnie will be the first to die if Isa gets pregnant. That frees Isa up for a quickie divorce and a remarriage to Aaron for a part of the family fortune and to dig the knife into Rod for having humiliated her for so long. --Just my speculations.
 

The more dysfunctional this show gets,the more I like it. The smiles on the faces of Minnie & Isadora when Rodrigo announced himself temporarily as head of Montalvo's, thinking they've hit the lottery and flying from the catbird seat, is priceless..The fall from the top to the bottom for TWB and Minnie can't be fast enough.Could it be bosom buddies now for the two,and bitter enemies later? Can't wait to find out..
 

Well hallelujah, Rod and Mariana finally came face to face. I had predicted that the preview was a teaser. I've never been happier about being proven wrong. However, I'm watching tonights episode as I write. Mariann/Gavi just stormed out of the meeting during the fight between Aaron and his dad. I sure hope she's not going to pull another disappearing act even though you can't expect her to accept Rod's marital status. Serves him right.
 

My favorite comment : ''She bounces up and down and says a lot of things that weren't in my dictionary.'' Thanks...I missed this episode , and those words produced an excellent visual for me. ^^^Susanlynn, bouncing UP and down
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder