Saturday, May 05, 2007

High End Tequila featured in the Wall Street Journal today!

Note that they mention it's the most expensive tequilas which are doing best. So Aaron Montalvo is right!

Extracts from
A Gulp of Agave
by Eric Felten for the Wall Street Journal, May 5, 2007

Early this year, Mexicans took to the streets, aggrieved at the high price of tortillas. Costs had soared as ethanol makers bought up corn to turn it into fuel-alcohol.

It isn't the first time that alcohol-production in Mexico has pushed up the cost of tortillas. In 1914 the Mexican government responded to high corn prices by forcing distillers to stop making corn liquor. The Compañia Alcoholera Nacional inked a deal with the government agreeing not to make any distilled spirits from grain for 10 years. No wonder tequila -- which is distilled from the fermented juices of a spiny succulent, the agave -- solidified its place as the essential Mexican drink.

For some time, tequila had a tawdry reputation in the States. A 1912 article in the Lincoln, Nebraska Evening News took up the subject of "American Bums in Foreign Lands" [saying] "Ninety percent of the American tramps in Mexico are victims of tequila."

Tequila would see its first real success among Americans during prohibition, when a trip to Nogales, Juarez or Tijuana was a chance to indulge in some legal drinking (not to mention the opportunities for smuggling). As a headline in the Lima News & Times-Democrat put it, "U.S. Prohibition Helps Mexico: Supplying America With Booze Is Great Industry."

But it was World War II that made a real market for the drink in the States, where distillers had turned to war work, making industrial alcohol. French, U.K. and American spirits became scarce, and many of the substitutes were vile. "Sensitive Martini-boys and Gibson-girls still shudder" at the thought of wartime gin from Argentina, M.F.K. Fisher once wrote. "They took to tequila and vodka in desperation."

Though bargain tequila revenues have hit the skids, the pricey artisanal stuff has enjoyed solid growth. The number of cases of high-end tequila sold grew by 5% from 2005 to 2006. That's nothing like the explosion (as inexorable as it has been inexplicable) of the highest-end vodkas -- 39% growth in one year. But the upscale tequila market has still been robust enough to encourage the entry of plenty of new competitors. In 2002, just five new brands of tequila were floated in the U.S. By contrast, according to the Adams Beverage Group, some 40 tequilas were introduced to the American market in 2006.

Mexico enjoys a healthy diversity of distilleries, with scores of independent producers. Many of them are now concentrating on producing a full range of high-end tequilas, from the fresh and limpid blancos, to the woody and amber añejos.

I decided to give four of the newest blanco tequilas in the U.S. a try.
  • Trago ... presents the tequila in an all-too modern package -- a bottle with the shape (and all the charm) of an International Style skyscraper.

    The tequila had a whiff of smoke, and was not without flavor. But I thought the agave expressed itself in the kind of sour taste that reminded me of well-boiled Brussels sprouts..

  • Partida Blanco ... The tequila leaned toward the bland, and I wonder if the idea was to distill the spirit with as neutral a flavor as possible, with the timid taste buds of vodka drinkers in mind.

  • El Diamante del Cielo provided more for the senses, with an interesting mix of sweet and spice. The sweet was delivered to the nose -- a smell of apples and brown sugar. The spice was on the tongue -- refreshingly peppery, with a cinnamon bite. ... the brand was devised by an entrepreneur, Jeff Hopmayer, whose previous enterprise was making scones for Starbucks.

  • My favorite of the lot, though, was the Fina Estampa. The tequila wasn't afraid to let one taste the agave sugars, balancing that sweetness perfectly with earthy, vegetal flavors. The combination evoked the citrus-juniper collaboration that gives good gin its twang.


How to drink these tequilas? They make for first-rate Margaritas, but really warrant drinking neat, preferably in the small, narrow glasses called caballitos. You can indulge in the salt-and-lime ritual, which is well enough known in the U.S. Though it is certainly a traditional Mexican way to drink tequila, I'm not that enamored of the routine. I find it distracts from the more delicate flavors of a good tequila; it also encourages gulping, tied as it is for many people to memories of tequila bacchanals in college.

Somewhat more civilized, and civilizing, I think, is the Mexican habit of keeping tequila company with Sangrita, a drink of orange, tomato and lime juices spiked with chilies. One drinks a shot of Sangrita as a chaser; it both soothes and jolts the palate, and it functions as a well-advised breather between glasses of tequila.

Make a batch of Sangrita ahead of time so that you can let it chill in the fridge. Sangrita can be an elaborate affair requiring jalapeños in a blender, but for starters, try this recipe: 10 ounces of tomato juice, 8 ounces orange juice, 2 ounces lime juice and an ounce and a half of Cointreau. Spice it to taste with a dash, more or less, of Tabasco, and some salt and pepper.

Labels:


Comments:
thanks so much Melimina! I know I spend too much
time with 4 novelas but I console myself that I'm
learning a lot of Spanish words and also getting
an education about tequila, perfume factories,
advertising companies, and chocolate factories.
Thanks for the very interesting article and adding
to all our knowledge.
 

Sorry spelt your name wrong. Melinama. Very pretty
name
 

Thanks, Melinama. What a fun article!

I've pretty much sworn off of tequila, but I think a Margarita in honor of Cinco de Mayo and Destilando Amor is in order.

¡Salud!
 

I haven't been able to watch Destilando but I've been enjoying the recaps. I pretty much had the same experience with Tequila--stuff to mix in a Margarita. I also thought of the cheap stuff as mainly headache inducing. I've been learning a little about spirits in the last few years thanks to some new freinds and I've since learned that the headache is caused by cheap, improperly distilled or fermented booze. Good tequila, whiskey or rum doesn't give you a headache unless you happen to unusually sensitive to the specific ingredients for some reason.

My find lately has been the sauza tequilas, especially a blanco tequila called "tres generaciones." It's not cheap but it's not super expensive either. It's a "sipping tequila" that goes down smooth with a nice warm, spicy finish without the nasty burn that the cheapos have.
 

I have a tortured relationship with tequila. No, I don't mean addiction. I mean cost vs. value. The bottom-shelf stuff is undrinkable. The "affordable but acceptable" stuff, like the Cuervo and Sauza brands, are still more expensive, ounce-for-ounce, than grain spirits of similar quality (like vodka, gin, etc.).

But, now that I understand how much more manual labor goes into a bottle of tequila than a bottle of vodka, it's hard for me to feel good about buying it at all, except when I feel guilty for not buying it.

On the one hand, I know that jimadores need their jobs. OTOH, I wonder whether the higher price of, say, El Patron (as opposed to Cuervo) is reflected in better pay for the workers who are involved in El Patron's stuff. I suspect not.

I'm probably babbling, here. I'm just wondering, if I buy the cheap stuff am I supporting a business that underpays its workers... or would it be even worse to buy the expensive stuff, where the Montalvos get richer while the Gaviotas continue to make the same amount of money? Or am I putting waaaaaay to much thought into this?

These are the kinds of thoughts I have when I DON'T drink on a Saturday night. It's not pretty. ;)
 

Margaret:
Now that is an interesting bit of knowlege to add to this article as a p.s.

For me, I have never gotten a Tequila Sunrise that didn't make me want to avoid one.......
 

The economic question is a complex one. It helps the Mexican economy to buy a high end tequila over say, a scotch. Yes, the rich get richer, but then the rich have something to pay the jimadoras with.

If the workers are working for a place that grows high end tequila, they will probably get better wages and more training to improve quality control. So the industry benefits and the worker does too, as a result.

If workers can get better jobs elsewhere, generally they leave for higher paying jobs that don't require you to work outside in the hot sun all day.
 

Once again...art imitates life. Thanks , Melinama for the interesting factoids. I have never had tequila. I am not much of a drinker because I have no tolerance. One glass of wine or beer, and I just want to go to sleep. One time, when hub and I were about 23, we went out to a local bar and everyone was buying us drinks...I had 5 of something [I have no memory of what it was , but it wasn't tequila...probably 7 and 7s]. Hub had to hold me up so that I could brush my teeth before going [falling into] bed. Sooo, I think I'll be satisfied with just watching HotRod drink the shots of tequila.
 

Susanlynn,

I salute you for brushing your teeth after drinking 5 of anything. After 5 drinks I'm in more of a position to brush the toilet. I love booze, but it doesn't love me!
 

I just tried Tequila again..sauza, I swore off it, when I was young and stupid and someone had me drinking boiler-makers w/ the shot being Tequila...even the smell make me sick for years..but I kinda like this Sauza stuff..just a little at a time and I gotta do the lime and salt thing.
 

I like tequila instead of vodka in a Bloody Mary. I think it's called a Bloody Maria. Very nice, and even somewhat nutritious. ;)
 

Julie--nutritious booze. Julie, you are a hoot !
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder