Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Destilando 6/20 - in which Gaviota throws her cellphone on the table.

I was really dreading this episode, but it wasn't so bad, because Destilando has been playing fair with us so far. People are suffering for obvious mistakes they themselves make. For instance, the mistake of judging by appearances: zombie granny Pilar prefers smarmy gigolo Francisco - who intends to squeeze snobby complacent Sofia dry and then dump her - to sweet devoted Elvis.

Rod and Mariana have been, and will continue to be, punished for the sin of not trusting each other. As one of our commenters pointed out, they'll say "I'll love and trust you forever," and then believe, without any proof, without even talking to each other, any preposterous calumny perpetrated by any old lying slime.

Their behavior would make more sense if they were actually in their teens or early 20s rather than their 40s. (I never really understood how Romeo and Juliet could be so moronically impulsive until I saw Zefirelli's film version of their story - the first to use actual teenagers as stars.)


Mariana/Gaviota is also being punished for her sin of lying to get what she wanted and the arrogance of thinking she'd get away with it.

That's what I mean by playing fair: it contrasts favorably with, say, Barrera de Amor or Alborada, shows in which the writers tirelessly, mercilessly, sadistically tortured blameless heroines.

Finally, a shoutout to Aaron and Minerva, who are heading towards hell with such gusto... On with the show!

Rod, sent to the hacienda by Aaron via a trumped-up agave disaster, gives final advice to Gaviota: "Keep your cellphone with you, and tomorrow leave after you get your check from Medina, and pay your debts."

She's worried but he says "tomorrow this time we'll be a-huggin and a-kissin', please, trust me, I love you with all my soul." "I love you more than my own life, I'll never forget you," she replies.

Smarmy Franky and Isa get out of the elevator. She: "Don't say hasta mañana (till tomorrow) cause there isn't gonna be a tomorrow. Now adios, my husband's waiting for me." "No, he isn't, I asked the concierge. Why're you so mean, wanna see me suffer?" More kreepy kissing of the neck. She doesn't respond. He: "OK, if I bother you so much I could vacate the building [his friend, the one who actually pays for the apartment, would like that.] but you'd miss me, I know how much you desire me." He leaves and she, expressionless as usual, calls him a miserable vividor (pleasure seeker).

At the hacienda Rodrigo is striding around, Roman in tow, figuring which farmers could sell him more agave. Jaramillo could sell them 10,000 more tons. Hilario goes on that errand, stopping by the chemists to pick up chemicals so they can test the agaves on site and be sure they're up to snuff.

Pointless scene of James yelling lousy Spanish at the jimadores. "Hurry and put those piñas in the truck!"

Pointless scene of Dani in bed and Sofia sitting on the side, worrying about this unusual family meeting. "We should find out what happened." "Yes." "OK, I'm going to the gym."

At headquarters, Gav asks Elvira if Oñate is around. Aaron sternly asks why she needs Oñate - she says she needs his report before the meeting. "Oh, you're so dedicated and professional," he sneers, "but Oñate is needed elsewhere." (He's elsewhere, snarling to someone on the phone that he needs the whole low-down on Mariana immediately!)

Roman's driving across the agave fields, Rod's in the truck with him, on his cell asking Medina if Gav's check is ready on time. Yes, it is, and it has the 20% increase Rod suggested. "Be very discreet, and give it to her before 1 pm."

At the distillery, James and Zarate watch a chemist check sugar levels. Zarate has been paid off by Aaron to say the agave Rod just bought is no good. Rod storms in with previous records of the sugar level, which in fact is just fine.

Zarate admits there has been a mistake. "A mistake? You know I've been all over trying to replace 80,000 tons you rejected! Who's behind this?"

Zarate thoughtbubbles No puedo balconear a Aaron which maybe means, "I can't hang Aaron out to dry." Zarate says he did it for his own gain.

Good guess! I found this online: "In Mexico, to put a person in a public situation of feeling embarrassed, for example, of looking ignorant, or ill-informed, is to embarrass that individual, since his or her weakness is being displayed publicly. In Mexico they use the term "balconear" to convey this behavior. "Balconear" comes from the word "balcón" (as in a balcony, literally), and in the old days leaders or young ladies would appear in balconies to be seen publicly."

Isa's dad isn't happy to hear Rod is out of town. Isa suggests that she may be about to get divorced and dad shouldn't count on Rod to countersign the new loans. She'll let him know later.

The vultures are gathering, hoping for a feast of flesh.

Gav knows something's afoot but reassures herself by hugging her plane ticket: "Soon we'll live our beautiful reality."

Aaron hauls Medina into an office and yells at him for telling Minerva the terms under which Mariana Franco had been hired. He snatches the check Medina is carrying (he's been carrying it face out so everybody can see - nice discreet move, Medina). "It's Mariana's final check, authorized by Rodrigo. I'm supposed to give it to her personally." "I remind you I'm the boss and pay your salary. Get out of here!" Aaron keeps the check.

Aaron looks like he'll stroke out with rage as he hisses, "Minerva wasn't wrong - Rod was planning to flee with Mariana."

Dani hears Pilar plotting with Aaron on the phone and asks what's up - Pilar chuckles nervously and says "Nothing, and wow, my shoes are killing me." Then she spills the whole story as per Aaron and says the least that can happen is that Gaviota spends the rest of her days in jail.

Dani doesn't believe any of it and tries to call Gav, but never gets through.

Oñate is very happy. He has found out about the false passport and has in hand the name-change form with Teresa Hernandez Garcia's signature. Mariana runs into him, he says she should go into Aaron's office.

Then the scene shown in all the advances: "Hello Mariana - or should I call you Gaviota - or Teresa Hernandez?" She's impactada into the commercials. Aaron knows about her fake "advanced degrees," etc. "Let me congratulate you - the time you spent working in Europe - as a whore - served you well. You learned French and English, but what particularly impresses me is your persistence - do you always get what you want?" He lets her tell the whole story - London, pregnancy, bus, flying up in the air, nuns, etc - but she's talking to the hand. "Leave before I call the police."

"I won't leave till you say who betrayed me." "Can't you guess? It was Rodrigo. He's tired of you, but didn't want to tell you to your face. He asked me to get rid of you. He's a capricious womanizer, obsessed till he gets what he wants, then his interest evaporates.

"He invented the agave problem so he could go to the hacienda and get away from you. This isn't the first time I've helped him. His strategy is to seduce the woman and say she's the only one. The whole family knows about it, Isa knows, she's very understanding, she realizes her husband has a weakness for easy women like you. He laughed telling me your stupid story, that stupid story about coming home 'intact' from Europe... "

At first she says she doesn't believe any of it. Then Aaron gives her the check he snatched from Medina, saying Rodrigo wanted her to have it for her 'services,' especially to him.

For some reason this suddenly changes her mind. She says she doesn't need the money or anything else from any of them, "You're the worst people I've ever seen in my life, your money makes me sick." Aaron grins uncontrollably, this is just what he hoped for. He taunts her with the car that she hasn't finished paying for. She throws the car keys on the table along with her datebook - and the cellphone Rod told her to keep with her all the time.

Aaron tells her to go away and stay away or she'll be arrested. She says she's going where she'll never have to see any of them, that the Montalvos are a "nest of potbellied vermin."

She leaves his office crying, Elvira gets a huge smile and reports to Minerva.

Gav says goodbye to Margarita. Margarita says Dani's on the line but Gav won't take the call. "This place is hell. The Montalvos are dead for me."

Having solved the agave problem, Rod rushes off to the airport - he tried to call Gav but got no answer (Aaron had her phone, of course, and read the text message - "I'm late, but I'll be in Manzanilla tonight - I'll be in your arms.")

Oñate congratulates Aaron on his handling of the situation - sending Gav away without involving the authorities means there will be no scandal, and also what Gav did was not legally so bad, and also it's better that the Montalvo's clients not mull over the fact that their contracts were signed by an imposter, and also it's better yet if the authorities don't poke their nose into Aaron's crooked dealings. And also - if Gav were to be jailed Rodrigo would be able to find her easily. Better she's just gone. Oñate asks for money.

Minerva is indignant that Gav has merely been run off and thinks the whole business could be better managed by - herself. She wants to storm the corporation with Isa and deal with everything. Isa says no, no more humiliations.

Rod arrives at the corporation. Elvira says Mariana is already gone, the family is waiting in the boardroom. Aaron talks to him first and gives him an earful, but Rod is steadfast in defending Gaviota and says he plans to leave the corporation and live with her.

Clarita is waiting in the empty apartment and Gav calls. "Ma, call a taxi and come get me, bring everything, the world has fallen in pieces."

Rod is leaving. Aaron is running after him, trying to convince him that Gav was an "easy woman." Finally he says: "Why do you think I hired her, why do you think she rose from receptionist to my secretary to manager so fast? You know I have a weakness for women! She was my lover!"

Vocabulary:

alimañas panzonas - potbellied bloodsuckers (my dictionary said 'vermin' but I like 'bloodsuckers' better - thanks, Jardinera!)

Labels:


Comments:
You're right, Melinama. Rod and Mariana must suffer for their sins, big time and darn it all if we don't have to suffer right along with them! No pain, no gain. (Gawd, can you imagine what masochists we must all be sitting through night after night, glued to the t.v. like we all are? The hubster is even calling me Clarita now.....)

At first I was upset with the age thing and I agree that it was harder to accept their insecurities and adolescent antics being actors around 40-ish. However, the storyline is so enticing, the villains so vile, and the chemistry so (thankfully) improved between the two leads that I find myself looking right past all that other. But, Aaron and Minerva are definitely a match made in Hell and I will take devilish enjoyment when the pair finally "fall from grace" as it were. //

Yep. This was definitely another hit-em-hard and leave-em-breathless episodio, and Mariana was right to call them all bloodsuckers. I felt at first she handled herself pretty well, good and strong, but then her fiesty pride did her in once more. No check, no cell phone. Hmmm. At least she can trade in the plane tickets and head over to Italy/Paris or wherever Beni told her he was headed. Hubby says she should try leaving a nasty message on Rod's cell and tell him off over what Aaron just said. I have to remind him that that would break novela-land rules. Novelas thrive on "failyas t' commun'cate."
 

I kid you not, I was SCREAMING all the way through this episode.

Thank you for the reminder that Gaviota and Rodrigo are supposed to be eighteen/twenty or so. Their thought processes and actions make far more sense when that's kept in mind. (My husband about choked when I told him how old the characters are supposed to be. Ah well.)

My favorite character is actually Minerva, because I'm a big fan of Chantal Andere and usually like the villainesses best in these shows for some reason. My second favorite is Clarita because I adore Ana Martin.

This episode was FANTASTIC. A little Tosca, a little Othello, and gripping all the way.
 

well..., I was right it was frustrating thanks for the quick
and good recap I think this will be my last episode to watch ! the cat and mouse game is on again. and it's a waste of time.I will watch the end of the story.I hope soon enough before your viewers die of old age,. . . watching boring cat and mouse game.
sayonara!I hate the author!
sp
 

First of all, a belated thanks and kudos to Beckster and Julie for their wonderful recaps. Due to time constraints I only get to watch Desti once a week or so. I'm glad I got to watch tonight's episode, it was a doozy! Then I got to play catch-up on the recaps. I'm so full of amor, backstabbing, rage and foment I myself feel like a potbellied bloodsucker.

Melinama, what a cool recap! First we get your most excellent tutorial on playing fair, something that's always in my mind while watching these shows, then some useful and colorful translations, and finally a superb recap of an action-packed episode.

We all know Aaron is a great villain, but honestly the guy was on fire tonight. Lots of tight, vein-busting rage, eyebrows dancing all over his face, and in the midst of all this he has the wherewithall to concoct bold lies that everyone believes even when they don't believe him.

Despite her faults, I like Gaviota because she's a spitfire and not the usual insipid telenovela heroine. I truly thought she and Aaron were going to start throwing punches.

Great recap, you were on fire yourself, and nice research on the dicho. You know I love that stuff!
 

A most wonderful recap....
Yes indeed there must be a special little corner of infinite pain for Minnie & Aaron in hell...

I just kept saying Damn...Damn
That was cold blooded thru out...
Damn that really was cold blooded..

Yes, Gavi here is another lesson...stop bothering the Virgincita...

Really even though Isa is a total whore skank...she was pretty civil compared to everyone else..

Now a failure to communicate will kick in completely..
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

p.s. Melinama: Thanks, by the way for the great and SPEEDY recap, 'cuz I'm generally in awe of your whippin' em out like that. --

Note: I didn't mean to split hairs with the definition stuff. It's all the same, all things considered. My blood was racing and it was simply what came out of my head --figuratively-- at the time while writing out my first impressions. =/;?>
 

Oh. My. God. I am sooo muy impactada. Someone called last night RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS SHOW. [Que the hell???] I am going to start screening my calls. Anyhoo, even with the sound off for 20 minutes, I could tell that the agave was hitting the fan. At one point , AAron that major League Asshat REALLY grabbed Gavi and started pulling her and shaking her. I kept thinking of ''shaken-baby syndrome.'' Maybe Sergio was improvising. I liked the comparison someone made to Othello---in ''Destilando'' Rodrigo is Othello, AAron is Rodrigo [the lying friend] , and Gavi is Desdemona...but in ''Desti'' it is Gavi who becomes jealous due to AAron's lies. AAron was the poster boy for evil in this episode...evil personified. He does seem to enjoy these scenes. He was born to play the villain. Another analogy would be my sophomore year in high school when Smarmy Larry convinced me that my onetruelove was going out with other gals.Youre right about Gavi paying for her lies and her lack of faith in heronetruelove. ''I'll love you foreverrrrr, or until someone slimy and selfserving feeds me lies about you.''
 

Thank you, Melinama for the excellent , speedy recap and your insightful comments. No mystery boinkers here anymore.
 

I recorded this last night but didn't have time to watch it. After reading the recap I felt that maybe I knew enough and didn't have to put myself through the torture of watching everything happen. But then Sylvia mentioned Aaron's dancing eyebrows, so now I'm having second thoughts. ;)
 

What an episode last night..Wow. Yes, the suffering has just begun.

When Aaron grabbed Gavi that was the time to have picked up a telephone or paperweight and coldcocked him. Try that in the real world in our country and the woman would own Montalvos..That scene was too graphic & degrading to a woman,even though it wasn't real but great acting.Yes, Gavi will own Montalvos one day,if our suspicion is correct that she's the illegitimate daughter Amador, the deceased old man and Clarita..This is getting good, but so painful that two people so much in love will think the worse of each other all based on lies..
 

When Aaron had Gavi locked in that abusive hold I just kept hoping she would knee him. She was in the perfect position to do so. You're so right that in the US the lawsuits would be flying.
 

Whew! What an episode. I could cry my eyes out for Gavi and Rod, but I can't believe that two people who love each other so much would believe such guff about each other.
Now that we don't have them together, mushing along, I think the pot will begin to boil and we'll get to see some dastardly deeds from the rest of the crew.
Be patient, they'll be together again. Sounds like a good name for a song.Frankie Lane, anyone?
 

Great and speedy recap. My very first telenovella was La Fea and I got caught up in Destilando because of the attractive actors and storyline. I must say this novella is well cast. Every actor does their part so well. I was yelling out "knee him" to Gav when Aaron grabbed Gaviota and almost swung her in the air. Very tense scene last night.

I was very sad with the end of La Fea coming close but, like Sex and the City, there will be something else for us. Love,love,love all the commentors. We have some big writing talent here.
Barbara from Mass.
 

Thanks for the great recap! I couldn't believe the way Aaron was grabbing Mariana by her jacket. What the heck?! And when she threw the cell down, it all went downhill from there. I am so glued to this story right now...
 

I removed the spoiler comment. Many at this site do NOT wish to know what's coming. Respect our NO-SPOILER policy. Thank you.
 

Excellent suggestions !---Using a paper weight or telephone to coldcock AAron or kneeing him [WHAMO !] followed by a great big supersized law suit ...Shout out to the American woman !!!! Long maY she wave.
 

We're hoping Rodrigo is adopted and that Amador is Gavi's father..We can dream,can't we? If Amador is not Gavi's father,then why is Clarita sitting around crying,moaning & groaning over a dead man,and won't tell Gaviota who her dad is? We love to speculate here on our favorite characters,i.e. the twist & turns of the shows,but we don't spoil for our fellow commentators here..We love the mystery..
 

I think Gavi's too feisty to be Amador's daughter. Maybe her real dad was a jimadoro and Amador had another role in Clarita's life.
 

I forgot to add to my comment - when you speak of Francisco kissing someone, can you say they were "slimed" by him? LOL
Barbara in Mass.
 

He's capable of sliming just with his looks!!
 

I respect your policy of this being a no spoiler zone. However, I have searched the internet to find information on the story ending as I plan to take Italian in the fall at a community college. I haven't had any success! I even tried to purchase the original book of the Colombian version. I assume that it is - Café con aroma de mujer by Fernando Gaitan and Fernando Gaitán (Paperback - 2001). I thought that this might improve my Spanish. But the price that I got from Amazon was $92! Any other suggestions. Thanks
 

Wow! This was one of the best ever recaps because so much happened. The comments are also terrific. I'm sitting here nodding affirmatively at just about everything. Aaron was my man until last night. The bad thing about those viscious lies is that that's what's going to get the cat and mouse game going again. I've had my fill of that and like someone before me said, I don't feel like sitting through that BS again. Thanks Aaron. And to make matters worse, I'll bet he's not finished with his wrath. I'm too involved at this point to stop watching. But I have to keep reminding myself that I can't forget that this is a novela and therefore I can't let their problems become my problems. I'm upset at Gavi for giving up the cell phone. Oh, and nobody mentioned it, but didn't Clarita forget her purse when leaving the apartment? If so, they're penniless and homeless again.
 

Great recap, Meninama! Yep! Anvils are falling right and left!

I agree that Aaron and Minnie are the perfect evil pair. I am taping and watching "la Otra" which comes on at 1 a.m. and Serjio Sendel is his perfect evil self in that one! He's already murdered two people!

Well, gotta go, it's getting ready to storm again here and I need to shut off the computer!
 

Dear Lynne, I suggest going to esmas.com/destilandoamor--there you will find the link "capítulos" click it and view the most recent ones. We are two months behind Mexico so this should keep you "al tanto"
 

Hey Lynn, I thought I found your book on eBay but it was the CD. It contains the "Gaviota" song. If anyone is interested it is item #
110139169787, selling for $14.99 and ends in an hour.
You might want to try your local library.
Barbara in Mass.
 

Melinama, thanks for such great info on the characters, vocab, and history. They're suppose to be 20ish, so that explains some things!

Is the story's misogynistic and sadistic attitude reflect the writer's view, the culture, both, none?

Hehe, TWB is a whore with manners...
jb
 

Thanks for the suggestions. I see that I can read a great deal on the ESMAS website. I went to my local library. There are lots of copies of the book in national libraries - mainly in CA. So hopefully I'll get a copy some day. Our second language in the Detroit area is Arabic - not Spanish. This is why I have to get the Spanish channels via Dish. I get the Univision channels out of the East coast. Then if I miss something and really want to stay up late, I can get them out of the West coast Univision channels, three hours later. Thanks again.
 

Lynne/ anybody else:

Here is a link to the "Cafe Con Aroma de Mujer" dialogues (in Spanish) and some summarization of scenes as martai from Telenovela-World collected them and typed them up years back, for anybody who would care to ever read them. It is one of her 3 most favorite novelas and she did it as a true work of love; she wanted to share this with people, she says. So, if you understand the Spanish, you will enjoy the heck out of them, I am sure. It should satisfy as something immediate to read till you can get your hands on Gaitan's book.

http://www.geocities.com/martaivett/
 

My apologies if I posted a "spoiler" comment. that was not my intention. However, just looking at the information so far, does anyone really want Gaviota to turn out to be Rodrigo's aunt? Because if Clarita is Amador's lover, then that's what she would be. More acceptable would be if Clarita were Amador's daughter, then they would be cousins. Not so bad.
 

Your recap brought out so many good points about all the characters. After thinking about it, I came to my senses and realized that this is only a telenovela, but some characters can really get you worked up. Aaron is a poisonous viper, lower on the totem pole than Frankie-boy in my eyes. I'd really hoped that Gavi was going to release some of Aaron's smugness with a swift knee bend.....Maybe next time. Rod is gullible...sexy, but so gullible... and Gavi, hopefully she'll realize that she did nothing disastrous but love Mr. Wrong -for- the- moment. Rod started this roller coaster and he should be the one to fix it.
 

I agree, Carmella with your assessment of Rod for all that comes next.
 

Noooooo....Gavi and Rod please don't believe the lies Aaron is telling. My goodness their love is suppose to be strong and they should trust one another. Aaron is a snake. He's low down.
 

I would understand Rod's gulliability if he grew up alone. But growing up with Aaron, wouldn't he learn some of the tricks of the trade? Just like the research that shows that kids who grow up with more than one sibling learn how to be devious at an earlier age. Rod has sexy potential, but gulliability is not very sexy.
 

Jardinera - wonderful - thanks very much. I can "sort-of" read Spanish - and some Italian - best at French - was best at Latin when I was trained as a teacher many decades ago. As my background is so heavily oriented to reading and not speaking or listening, I have found it most helpful to watch the novelas. This website taught me to watch with closed captioning - again very helpful. Thanks.

But my patience does wear thin with some of the stupidities of the characters. Also spending 3 hours per evening watching telenovelas is too much - even if the excuse is to improve my Spanish.
 

Lynne: I totally understand! 2 hrs. was a stretch even for me, and as much as I'd like to start Amar Sin Limites, I may not be able to handle that 2nd hour. The dialogues are pretty straight forward and may even have the diacritical marks (I hate when they don't with the CC.) Anyway, just think of those dialogues as CC on paper I guess. As long as you know how to conjugate verbs from your grammar book, you'll do just fine and it'll get easier the further into it you go. --Least that's been my experience. Here are two links for my favorite online dictionaries. Word reference catches all versions and gives suggestions for misspelled words. It even has conjugation links.

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=careta&v=b
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm
 

Cafe: Just a supposition. I never saw your post, but I find it hard to believe Amador would have let his illegitimate daughter live like a beggar, toiling in the dirt for a few pesos, and scrambling for a living traipsing from one end of Jalisco to the other with his granddaughter in tow. So, maybe we all are wrong to think Gavi is his daughter/granddaughter. It could be that he was a weaker soul than Rod or that he simply helped her out of a jam and they became so close that he thought to leave Gavi something if she weren't married by age 28 or 30 or something.
 

Wouldn't it be funny that Granny is adopted and not a Montalvo at all.
 

I hope Granny will mellow out for the Grand Final and give Elvis and Gavi a big, genuinely affectionate hug. I think Martha Roth looks awesome for 76 + (although her facelift was pulled a little tight) and possibly her sometimes wooden delivery may be due to age-related neurological problems. I'm hoping for some evolution in both her and Ana Patricia's characters.
 

Thanks Jardinera for the dictionaries. I took 2 semesters of Spanish at a local community college - did marvellously at grammer - who wouldn't with a Latin background. But I struggled with "hearing" the Spanish - especially my prof who decided to challenge us by speaking rapidly in Spanish and expecting us to write down what he was saying! So I started on these telenovelas. Thanks to Melinama for this website and to all of the people who denote their time to doing recaps - and of course the contributors. It's fun.
 

You're welcome. That's what I figured with your extensive language background. My grammar suffers in my old age!!

Getting "the ear" is always a struggle when you're not surrounded daily by it, for sure. The only thing that has helped me has been listening to these things and reading the CC, then being forced with some of the old ones that were missing CC to really concentrate on their speech. I'm not saying I am a bilingual genius at it now, but I compare myself to when I'd only had 2 semesters' worth myself at a community college and had just started listening/watching that way per my teacher's urging also. That was 4 years or so ago and I can at least say this baby has come a loooooong way since then.
 

How many recappers actually understand and speak spanish?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder