Sunday, November 18, 2007

Chat rooms for Destilando Amor

Yesterday I created a chat room for the Destilando recappers. Just now I created chat rooms for viewers, too. Although I had only intended for them to be used during the gran finale, there's no reason people can't start using them now.

However, before anyone goes to check them out, I want to give some instructions, because frankly the chat room interface is not newbie-friendly.
  1. When you first go there, you'll see a little sign-on window. If you're not already a regular Meebo user with a Meebo login, then IGNORE THIS WINDOW. You don't need to create a login/signin/signon to use the Meebo chat rooms. In fact, I don't even recommend doing so. Just wait for the chat room window to open. It might take a minute.

  2. To silence the annoying stuff that's playing in the media window to the right, double-click the narrow divider between the text window and the media window.

  3. Now type "hello" or something equally pithy and hit Enter. You will be prompted to enter a name. This will be the name that appears on the screen next to your comments. Go ahead and enter your name.
Tips:
  • To make all the text in the window bigger, do a Ctrl-Plus sign. To make it smaller, do a Ctrl-Minus sign. This works in Internet Explorer and Firefox. (Sorry Mac people - I'm not sure how you do this in Safari - it would be some type of zoom control.)
  • Use the pulldowns above the text entry box to change your font, text size, style, and color, and to add smileys. Note that the text format controls (bold, color, etc.) affect all of your text, not just selected words. In other words, if you hit the big B it will make your entire comment appear in bold. It's not like in a word processor when you're highlighting a word and applying bold to just that word. (If the above makes no sense to you, don't worry about it.)
  • Meebo seems to be optimized for Firefox (as opposed to Internet Explorer or Safari). This means that you might have some difficulties with the text controls.
  • Meebo censors chat room profanity. There's no way for the chat room owner (me) to control this. It used to be really bad; if you typed "it's hitting me now" it would show up as "it'*****ting me now" which was both hilarious and vexing. It's slightly better now, but it still doesn't let you say "skank" which I consider pretty mild in the universe of unkind words. The thing is, if you enter some profanity you won't see that it was censored, but everyone else will. That is also pretty vexing.
These tips ought to make the chat rooms much easier to use.

To avoid spoiler conflicts, I created one chat room for the East & Central viewers (http://www.meebo.com/room/destilando_fin_east), and another for the West viewers (http://www.meebo.com/room/destilando_fin_west).

I'm a little confused as to how TV scheduling works in Mountain time. Do you guys watch at the same time as the east coast, the west coast, or do you have your own feed? If you need a separate chat room, I'll be happy to create one.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow...Wish me luck on getting there. I may be here all alone .
 

Okay, I can get into all 3 rooms and figured if I set up three windows I can toggle between them all to keep in touch with everyone.
Thanks for setting this up Julie

Susanlynn, I used the URL in Julie's posting on C2 to get into the new rooms called east and west. See you there!!
 

Okiedokie. I'll be in the East cuz we see it at the same time.
 

I see the chat room for West coast, and I even created a meebo? account, but it won't let me sign on!!! Whah!!!

I watch Destilando Amor twice; I have DirectTV, and I happen to get an East coast feed, in which Destilando airs at 6:00 PST which is 9:00 East coast time. Then at 9:00 PST, I watch it again to make sure I didn't miss anything, although I gotta tell you, I am like GLUED to my TV during the whole hour! LOL
 

Sweetcubangirl64,

Like I said, IGNORE the sign-in window. There is no reason to sign in at all.

Don't create a meebo account just to use the chat room. It really won't improve your experience at all. In fact, it will likely make it more annoying. I don't get why, but Meebo is actually easier to deal with as a guest than as a user with an account. (I have to deal with it as a user with an account because I also use Meebo for IM.)
 

We Mountain Staters get our stuff on Central time. If you are getting DA at 9 p.m. we get it at 8.

Don't know if i'll hit the chat room on the big night because i use Safari which in reality can be an enormous pain in the a** when it comes to things like this.
 

Julie - I'm going to try to get in to the chat room tonight. Thanks for doing this - I really admire technical people. Now don't send me any kind of s* remark - but, I'm one of the few people in the world who has never participated in a chat room.
 

Pasofino, for the most part I hate chat rooms and IM. I use them as seldom as possible!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder