Wednesday, May 07, 2008

La Traición, Tues., May 6 - It's my party and I'll crow if I want to

As Alcides get out of his carriage, Soledad utters that famous novela line, “No puede ser!” – “It can’t be! It’s impossible!” Looking at Alcides. she says, “Hugo.” Lots of reaction shots of people at the fiesta. Behind her, Hugo says, “I can explain. Let me explain.” Still looking at Alcides, Soledad says, “Hugo, it’s you,” and moves towards him. “We thought you were dead.” Hugo tries to stop her, “Don’t go!” he says urgently. But she runs to Alcides and when she gets close to him, she recognizes that he is Alcides.
S: (to Hugo who is white as a sheet and looks like he was hit by a truck) You? You? It was always you? Hugo. You were here all along and you never said a word? Why?
A: (from behind her) I don’t need to explain anything to you.
H: (swallows with difficulty). I am Hugo. Soledad. I am Hugo.
More crowd reaction shots. Soledad stares at him with horror. Arturo can’t believe it. He says, “Hugo passed as Alcides and fooled everyone.”
S: (to Hugo) Why? Why did you lie to me? Why the deception? Why did you lie to everyone? Tell me.
H: I was going to tell you everything today. I swear (that’s not an answer, Huguito). But not here. Let’s return to the house.
S: Don’t touch me! You’re not taking me anywhere. I won’t allow you to confuse me any more than I am already.
A: I came back for you, Soledad. For my wife. With all the patience in the world, I will resolve all your doubts.
S: This is a trap by both of you. (to Hugo) You lied to me! You lied to me! Why? Why? (She hits him) I want to know the truth. I just want to know the truth if it exists. You had no right to do this to me! (She hits him again). I hate you!
She faints. Hugo picks her up and carries her off.
Alcides, who has been watching this whole scene with a satisfied little smile, tells the crowd to enjoy the fiesta and make themselves at home (“están en su casa”).

Antonia asks why Dr. Max has not gone to help Soledad. He says that the jig is up and he’s outta there. Boris moves to go to Hugo. Marina holds him back and says that if they don’t leave, they’ll end up in jail. Boris says that he’s sorry but he has to be with his boss. Marina plays the baby card but Boris says he will not abandon Hugo now. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and when he has gone after Hugo, Marina says that Boris will regret choosing to stay with Hugo.

Arturo is trying to convince the judge that this whole mine thing is a trick to let Hugo run off with all their money. Margot says that what has happened is very exciting. Rebeca doesn’t agree. She says that a war is coming, a disaster and everyone who invested in the mine will suffer.

Dr. Dan volunteers his services as a doctor to Soledad. Hugo leaves her side. He tells Alcides that he always had the feeling that Alcides had survived the current in the river. He sent detectives to look for Alcides. He’s hidden himself very well. Hugo says that he imagines that Alcides is enjoying the success of his plan. “You are wrong,” says Alcides, “You can’t imagine the miserable life that I had to suffer while you passed as me and lived with my wife.” Hugo says, “You should have looked for me and resolved your problems with me personally without involving Soledad.” Alcides says, “Your little game of pretending to be the good brother is over. It’s over. Today, everything has changed forever. I’ve returned to take my rightful place.” He continues. “I bet you know that Aurora is your daughter.” “I found out today. Soledad told me.” says Hugo. “Did she tell you that she’s legally registered as my daughter?” Hugo moves toward the baby that Ursula is holding but a revived Soledad tells him not to touch her daughter.

Eloisa asks Marina why she didn’t tell her about what was going to happen. Marina says that she didn’t know. Eloisa asks if there is anything else Marina wants to tell her, like who that woman is (indicating Michelle). Marina says that she knows who she is and what she wants but it will cost Eloisa. Eloisa says that tonight she will pay Marina what the information is worth. Marina tells her Michelle's name and that has a cure for catalepsy. Marina leaves. Eloisa is impactada. She says that there is a new player in the dance but she will get this Michelle out of her way (go for it!).

Michelle orders Andres to mingle and find out what is the story of the twins and to find out which one has catalepsy. Arturo makes a move on Michelle but she brushes him off.

Soledad tells Hugo and Alcides that neither of them has any rights over her daughter. Hugo says that she can’t do that, he gave her life. Alcides says that he is the legal father. Soledad says that it’s her daughter and she will do as they did and make decisions about her daughter without consulting anyone. She sends Ursula and the baby to the carriage. She says that she wants to share something and she doesn’t want to do it with her daughter there.

Soledad thanks Dr. Dan (of course she doesn’t mention his name since Hugo is standing right there). Alcides sidles up to Soledad and says that she looks more beautiful than ever and that’s why he wanted to organize this fiesta in her honor. Hugo tells him to shut up. To Soledad Hugo asks forgiveness and says that they have many things to talk about and urges her to go home with him. Soledad agrees that they have many things to talk about but they will do here in front of all the people of San Marino.

Eloisa wants to find a way to stick her nose in what’s going on with Hugo and Alcides but Paquito warns her to be careful. Eloisa points out Michelle. Paquito says that she is pretty and is wearing the latest French fashion (trousers? I don't think so). "The latest in bad taste," says Eloisa cattily. She tells Paquito that she has found out Michelle has the cure for catalepsy. Paquito is intrigued.

Soledad addresses the guests at the fiesta with Hugo and Alcides by her sides. She says that she hopes that they have enjoyed the circus organized by the Medina brothers. She urges the attendees to eat and drink but not to do it on her behalf. Do it on behalf of those who have just brought disgrace and misfortune into her life. She tells Paquito that she wants it noted publicly that she never wants to hear from these two as long as she lives. From now on Soledad de Obragon will be a different woman, in charge of her own destiny. She says, “The woman who stands in front of you was deceived, betrayed and her heart was broken.” Hugo reaches out, touches her arm and says, “Soledad, please.” She turns to him and tells him never to touch her ever again. She says,
S: (to Alcides) I would like to congratulate you on your triumphant return. The fiesta was a great gift but if it’s up to me, I would like you to leave right now and go back where you came from.
A: You are my wife. I wanted to honor you and give you a delightful surprise.
S: I only married you for the lies they told me. They told me Hugo was dead. I let myself by manipulated by my mother. It was everyone’s fault. I married Alcides de Medina for honor and for my family’s traditions. Because I was terrified! Because I was afraid! I was pregnant by Hugo de Medina without being his wife and I was terrified of what everyone would say about me (literally, 'that I would be eaten by hungry wolves'). I married him fearing all of you. Please enjoy the party, eat, drink. This is what all this is for. I think I’ve said enough for you to mock me (literally, 'clean the floor with me'). Soledad de Obragon is leaving so that you can act like vultures eating carrion. Alcides, Hugo, everyone, enjoy what’s left of me because I’m already dead.

Soledad gets in the carriage. Ursula says that she is the most courageous person she has ever known. Hugo watches her drive away like a lost soul. Alcides has his nasty little grin.

Arturo tries to get the judge to take action against Hugo.

Hugo and Alcides have a discussion:
H: Alcides, I don’t want you to get in our way.
A: You said 'our'? Oh, you mean Soledad. Didn’t you hear her?
H: She is hurt because I deceived her. But I regret my actions. I know that she loves me. When she is calmer, she’ll understand that I did everything for love.
A: It won’t be that easy, brother. I came back for one reason – to get my wife back.
H: Listen to me Alcides, Don’t mess with Soledad. Don’t mess with her.
A: You listen to me. Soledad is the only reason that I stayed alive during all the time I was being tortured. I’m willing to dedicate every second of my life to getting her love.

Michelle tells Daniel that she was very moved by Soledad’s words and found a lot of truth in them. Andres explains what he has learned about the Hugo/Alcides situation to her and Dr. Dan. Michelle says that she doesn’t want to stay at the party anymore. Dr. Dan keeps looking back at where Soledad was.

At her parents’ house, Soledad goes into her room without a word to Ester. Ursula has to explain what has happened.

Hugo goes to the carriage where Boris is waiting. He says that there is no point in staying at the party. He has to find Soledad. Boris says that Hugo was right in believing that Alcides was alive all this time. Hugo says that he knew Alcides would come back. Boris says that this makes things more complicated (that's an understatement!). Hugo replies that he has to fight for Soledad’s forgiveness but he is sure she loves him. Hugo wants to leave the party but asks Boris where his wife is.

Marina is at the Hacienda. She says that she won’t go to jail because of Hugo. With the money she got from Eloisa and what he investors put in the mine, she will leave this hellhole forever.

Boris says he can’t find Marina anywhere and they should leave because everyone is talking about Hugo. Hugo says that’s the least of his worries. Before he leaves however, the judge arrests Hugo for identity theft. The police put handcuffs on Hugo. Boris protests. Hugo says he knew this could happen. They are about to take Hugo away when Alcides tells them to wait. Arturo urges him to send Hugo to jail. The judge says that as the victim, Alcides can withdraw the charges. Alcides lets Hugo twist in the wind for a long time enjoying his power over him before he finally says that he won’t have his brother arrested. Arturo is furious but Hugo is released. Hugo tells Boris to go find Marina while he looks for Soledad. Paquito says that if he were Alcides, he would have let his brother rot in jail. Rebeca and Eloisa think that Alcides is up to something. Eloisa doesn’t know what is going on but she wants to find out.

Ester, Antonia, Ursula and the baby are outside Soledad’s room but she won’t open the door or answer. Ursula thinks that something is wrong. Soledad would never leave her baby for this long. Antonia asks where Lucas is and Ester says that they had an argument but she agrees that Soledad needs him. He’s not in the house but she knows where to find him.

At the tavern, Lucas wakes up and tries to figure out what he is doing there. He flashes back to his fight with Ester. He says that it is all over and wonders what will happen to his life now. Ester arrives and says that Soledad needs him. She explains what happened. Lucas rushes off to help Soledad.

Alcides is addressing the guests at the party. He says that lots of people hated him in this city. They might remember him as a rude and insensitive man and even unfair sometimes but that has all changed because he has learned from his mistakes during the time he was gone. He worked very, very hard to make his business a success and thanks to God, he obtained a small fortune. Now he has returned as a changed man who is immensely rich. He says that life taught him a lesson and he has a debt to all of the people and he is here to settle it. Money is only good if you share it with friends. From now on Alcides de Medina will make this community grow. He’ll make San Marino into a city famous for its progress and well being. Paquito says to Eloisa that this party is full of suprises – Alcides rich? Eloisa replies that they will have to verify it and if is true, all their efforts will be focused on Alcides. For his part, Arturo says that Alcides was always a loser and he doesn’t believe a word of it. Alcides concludes that he has business matters to take care of and tells everyone to continue with the party. He gets in his carriage and leaves to the applause of the crowd.

Lucas arrives at the house and Antonia starts in on him for drinking. Ester tells her this isn’t the time. Nothing has been heard from Soledad. At this point, Hugo appears. Lucas chews him out for what he did to Soledad. Hugo says there are things Lucas doesn't understand. He admits that he made a mistake and he never should have let things get to this point but he loves Soledad and she loves him. He calls Soledad and when she doesn’t answer, he kicks in the door and the room is empty. Soledad has gone.

At the Hacienda, Marina is packing up her stuff and the money that was invested in the mine. She says that the money from the investors is hers now. She won’t have to steal from Boris. She doesn’t need him now. “Stay with your Hugo de Medina,” she says, “I’m out of here.” Boris is standing right behind her.

Paquito and Eloisa are exultant at what has happened. Eloisa wants to go to the Tavern but Paquito has to file his story. Guillermo and Elena are afraid that when Alcides discovers that they saved his worst enemy, they will end up on the gallows so they decide to live for the moment and stuff themselves with food.

Hugo says to Ester, Lucas et al that they have to find Soledad. Lucas threatens Hugo if anything has happened to Soledad. Ursula asks if Alcides could have been involved. Hugo says that is what he fears. Lucas tells Ursula to stay with the baby and not open the door. They all go out to look for Soledad. Before he leaves, Hugo asks Ursula to hold the baby. He takes the baby. “How beautiful you are,” he says. “I promise never to let you down as a father. I was miserable to your mother but you, my little one, you and your mother are the most important things in the world.” Hugo kisses the baby and smiles so sweetly. Ursula cries.

Boris asks Marina if this is what she meant when she promised to stay by his side forever. He asks if she is leaving because she wants to avoid the whispers behind their backs? Why? Is that what she wants? To separate him from his child that she is carrying? He asks why she is doing this to him? Marina says, "Whispers behind our backs, Boris! We are accomplices of Hugo and we can end up in jail. I told you a thousand times, I begged you a thousand times to get away from here but you wouldn’t do it.” She continues, “You preferred to stay here with Hugo licking his boots.” Furious, Boris raises his hand to hit her. He doesn’t hit her but says that he won’t allow her to speak that way. He says that they owe everything to Hugo, doesn’t she understand? Marina responds that he may owe Hugo but she doesn’t owe him anything. She’s leaving. Boris grabs some of the money and says that she isn’t taking that. If she does, she’ll become a thief. In a voice dripping with sarcasm, Marina says that he and Hugo took the money from the investors for a mine where they knew there was no gold and he calls her a thief? Boris says that they have no right to take that money. Marina says fine, keep it. I’m leaving. Boris begs her not to leave. He asks her to think of their love, their child. Marina says, “Love? There was never any love between us. Our son is the only thing we have in common. But your loyalty to Hugo is more important than your love for me.” Boris is impactado. Marina says that she is taking this decision because of him. It’s his fault. Boris asks where she is going. Marina responds that that isn’t his damned problem.

Lucas, Ester, Antonia and Hugo are asking everyone if they have seen Soledad. Hugo says to himself that the only logical reason for Soledad’s disappearance is that his brother has kidnapped her. He rides off.

Cut to the fireproof cabaña where henchmen bring a bound and hooded woman to Alcides. We can see right away that it is Eloisa (her nasty red hair), not Soledad. Alcides says that she looks strange with the bag on her head. The men who brought her are beasts. He pulls the bag off. Eloisa says that she wanted very much to be alone with him.

At the Hacienda, Boris is sitting alone on the stairs drinking. Hugo zips in and without asking if he found Marina or noticing that he is not a happy camper, tells him that he thinks Alcides has kidnapped Soledad. He orders him to get everything ready. They will leave in five minutes. Boris responds with a weary, “Yes, sir.” He flashes back to Marina's voice saying that Boris is just a servant to Hugo that he uses him as a convenience. In his room, Hugo starts to take off his party clothes. He turns and Soledad is behind him. “Soledad,” he says. She devours him with her eyes and slaps him three times. Wordless looks as the credits roll.

Tomorrow: Hugo and Soledad surrender to their passion?

Labels:


Comments:
What a party, huh? I guess I can't blame Soledad for her reaction, but during her public meltdown I couldn't help but cringe. (But I guess I was supposed to, no?) For there having been a moratorium on everyone speaking the truth for so long, she sure let it all hang out. I think I just hated to see her opening herself to insult after her already massive injury. However, for the first time since Hugo "died", I felt we were seeing the real Soledad. Nice work, Danna.

My mantra during this show became, "Hugo, you idiot." I must have said it about a thousand times.... I couldn't believe the difference in his body language in this episode; so much more tentative & deflated. I'm really tuning in more to the nuances of Mario's performances after all the comments everyone has made, and I'm really impressed. Nice work, Mario.

Michelle got fed up & said she was leaving. I thought, "Yay! Get on your horse & just keep going." Same for Marina. I hope Boris' loyalty can stand this test.

LOVED the moment when Hugo held Aurora. Haven't seen a full-on, open smile from Mario in this show since I don't remember when. Lovely. Here's hoping Ursula will become the ally he needs near Soledad. Can't wait for tonight!
 

Hi Marie Celeste: I agree with you about Soledad's outburst. It didn't make much sense but the poor woman can't be blamed for just letting it all hang out.

Poor Hugo. He's made such bad decisions and now he starting to pay the price. Over on the TW forum, someone pointed out that that the change in the power relationship between Hugo and Alcides was also indicated by the fact that they shot Alcides looking down when he was talking and Hugo was looking up. But a super performance by Mario. He changed his voice for Alcides too, it was lower.

I can totally relate to Soledad coming to Hugo. She hates him for what he did but the physical desire to have her Hugo after all this time must be overpowering (it would be for me ;-) ). I hope the previews are right and they surrender to it at least once before more bad things happen. I just hope Hugo tells poor Boris not to wait up.
 

Jean, I always get such a laugh out of your episode titles. I know you said that sometimes this was the hardest part of doing these recaps but they are appreciated.

I can just imagine the script for Tuesday’s episode reading:
STAGE DIRECTIONS
Entire cast* (and viewing audience) – Impactado/da!!!
(*Except Paquito and Alcides)

It was gut wrenching to see Soledad’s revulsion when she realized it was The Real Alcides and her look of disbelief and betrayal when she realized that Hugo was Hugo.

At times I almost forget that this is the same actor! Hugo looked devastated while Alcides stood by oozing smugness. One time someone mentioned that Hugo’s voice was mellow sounding while Alcides’ voice had a rougher edge to it. I really noticed that in this episode and I see that you noted that also, Jean.

I think that Soledad is so disgusted with everyone’s lies, including her own, that this public declaration must have been very liberating for her. She was finally able to tell off everyone. No one will have anything to hold over her head because everything is finally out in the open. To quote Helen Reddy “I am woman, hear me roar!!”

For Hugo’s sake, I hope his canteen was filled with whiskey.

Ursula’s reaction was exquisitely portrayed as she observed the touching scene of Hugo holding Aurora for the first time when he knew this was his daughter. Pass the tissues, please.

I was hoping in vain that Marina would fall down the stairs and break her pretty little neck but that would be too easy. She will make Boris choose between her (and her trump card, their baby) and His Patron. This will ensure that Hugo will be on his own sometime in the future when he desperately needs his trusted protector and friend, Boris.

Dreadful thought of the day: Hugo will end up all alone and Michelle will be more than willing to fill the void. She will be sooooo understanding because she knows what it’s like to suffer from catalepsy. Oh dear, now I can’t get that idea out of my head!

Nancy
 

Alcides sure loves drama. He could just ask Eloisa to come to the cabana and she would have gladly complied.

I was asking myself how useful would be the information of Michelle having the cure for catalepsya for Eloisa. I am thinking now that Eloisa and Alcides will form an alliance to prevent Hugo from finding out this information. And as we all know important information in San Marino moves a snail pace.

We might yet see a fight between Michelle and Alcides, since each one of them is the master of their art.
 

Hi Nancy: The title was one of those flashes that came to me. Doesn't happen that often. Glad you appreciated it.

I have also had the thought that Michelle might move in on Hugo when he is vulnerable and alone. Arggh!

Hi Sue: I know everyone is talking about Michelle having a cure for catalepsy but is it so? Michelle didn't know what old Dr. Chirac injected her with. She thinks it is the orchid. But unless the writers ignore what happened already, which is possible, the orchid is not a cure for Hugo or at least not in the form that old Dr. Chirac had it in when he tried it on Hugo. It nearly killed Hugo. Old Dr. Chirac didn't have any opportunity to improve it before he was murdered. I don't know what old Dr. Chirac injected Michelle with but that had to have been before Hugo found him since he was with Hugo continuously from then until his death.

I've always thought that the orchid would end up curing the baby but that Hugo's cure is Soledad. She can bring him back when he has an attack.
 

During Soledad’s speech, for one fleeting glimpse, Eloisa almost looked like she admired Soledad’s courage

I must admit I got a kick out of seeing Michelle shoot down Arturo’s advances with such hauteur (that’s a word I was saving for Alcides). Of course, this will only serve to inflame Arturo’s lust. If they would keep her away from Hugo I could manage to tolerate her (but, I’m afraid that’s exactly where the script is headed).

Sue, it hadn’t even occurred to me that both Michelle and Alcides have mastered the art of fencing. It would almost be worth it to keep Michelle around to witness that.

Question: When the family was outside of Soledad’s door, did Antonia question whether Soledad might have killed herself? Also, why didn’t they think of going to an outside window and open that??

Meanwhile, back at the hacienda, I noticed Marina, a quick change artist, has changed from her white party gown to her fuchsia travelling dress.

Across a crowded plaza the Lizard (Eloisa) and the Snake (Alcides) locked eyes. Who deserves each other more than this pair! Alcides is certainly playing the part of the freed prisoner: First “let’s party” and then “bring me a lusty wench.”

I was also confused about the time line of Dr. Chirac and his magical cure so I’m glad it wasn’t just me. Such a big deal was made of the orchid vivantis that I can’t imagine the writers would ignore it now.

Pardon me for leaving such lengthy comments, but I don’t have anyone else I can talk to about this show. Everyone I mention it to tries to be kind, but underneath it I can tell they think I’ve gone completely around the bend.

Nancy
 

Nancy, I appreciate your comments because I love this show. I think Mario is very convincing as both Hugo and Alcides. I really enjoyed the scene in the rain after Soledad told Hugo that he was Aurora's father. His expression, though subtle, showed a range of emotions.
If Michelle goes after Hugo, it might make Soledad jealous. It could bring her closer to him.
 

Thanks Jean, great title. Nancy, I too have tried to 'explain' my telenovelas. But, unless they've tried them, they'll never understand what they're missing. I'm so glad Jean mentioned this one, because it's become one of my favorites...
jb
 

Hey, guys! I'm finally moved in and now the unpacking begins (ugh!)

Anyway, the show has really been moving along. I'm so glad that we're back to having both of the brothers...more Mario! I felt so bad for Soledad when the real Alcides showed up. What's up with him? Is he going to be a "good guy" now or is he still evil?

I still can't stand Michelle! Hope she ends up with Arturo. I think Marina will be back if we can believe the scene in the titles with Ursula (or did I miss that?)

Thank you, Jean, for being here. I wasn't able to watch the show for a few days and your recaps saved me!
 

Hey, cool! Somebody's covering "La Traición" here!

Sorry I'm tuning in to this thread late.

I like the some weird elements in this one, like Mad Scientist Max and his wife preserved in the armoire. And the telepathy thing Hugo has going between himself and Alcides and also with Soledad. And that thing Hugo did in the cave that time where he lifted his hands and magically choked Alcides.

I'm impressed with the way they reset most of the characters in the last few days. Generally, it seems to me that this show is more fast-paced than most novelas I've seen.

Michelle is obviously going to give Soledad a run for her money with Hugo. I agree with Nancy: it was great the way she shut Arturo down cold when he started flirting with her.

And it's looking like young Dr. Chirac will make a play for Soledad.

I figure Rebecca and Eloise will have to come to a bad end eventually. But Eloise makes a good villainess.

I like Danna García in the Soledad role. In the two novelas I had seen her before, she was a self-confident professional woman who looked worried about 3/4 of the time. In this one, she's naive and impulsive but gets tough when she has to be.

Antonia may actually turn out to be a real human being! She's getting a crush on Dr. Max. But wait 'til she takes a peek inside that armoire! But I figure Max has to come to a bad end eventually after being generally weird and pulling his little sword on everybody. Plus trying to steal baby Aurora. Oh, and cold-bloodedly murdering Old Dr. Chirac. So she and Max probably can't wind up together.

I'm wondering, though, why Alcides didn't press charges against Hugo for impersonating him.

They've also got to get rid of Marina so Boris can hook up with Ursula and of course they'll keep Boris' baby. But I'm not sure where this is going with Marina. I kind of like her, but she's going to go bad, it looks like.
 

Hey Bruce, welcome. You blogged with us on Zorro, right?
 

Yep, that was me. I don't think "La Traición" can ever quite measure up to "Zorro" with the good witch Selenia and the Amazon tribe in the rain forest just outside Los Angeles. But so far it's been a good one. And who knows what Dr. Max may come up with yet?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder