Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fuego en la Sangre Aug. 19, Tues (#80) - Wedding Bells Are Breaking Up That...Oh, Never Mind....

Thanks once again to Bridget for her smashing first recap last Tuesday. Wasn't she fabulous!

I can see that while I was off gallivanting around Wyoming and Colorado the writers have turned this into a fine family story, full of love and thoughtful, warm relationships, ready for reruns on the Disney Channel with just a few adjustments. Buckle your seat belts, please, we have some narrow roads and tight turns facing us this evening.

Paddy Tad makes Abuelo and Eva promise not to tell Gabriela what he heard, but afterall it wasn't learned in a confession, I don't want to hurt anyone because I love you so much, but Gabriela told Sofia that she wasn't her mother.

Juan and Sofia open their eyes about the same time and rejoice and thank God and the Virgin of Guadalupe that Our child is alive because of our love. Are you feeling pain, no it moved, it moved, It's ALIVE, IT"S ALIVE!!

In the waiting room Sarita makes the monumentally stupid decision that it is only she who can save her ailing mother by devoting her life to her so she won't be alone. Sarita says she will leave the convent, which wakes up Pedro, leave the convent? he chimes in hopefully. Oscar pours cold water on the saintly plan, saying I don't think your mother needs you so much, she has who she needs. Well, you'll find out, your saintly mother doesn't need any of you right now.

Ofelia brings news to Rosario that Sofia and her baby are recovering. Rosario, one of the real yet rare, sweet characters in this drama says, Sofia deserves to be happy. I am so happy for Juan and the baby deserves to live and to be happy with his parents. Like all the babies in the world, she adds wistfully. Rosario happily thinks about her little nephew. She loves having family, doesn't she.

Speaking of great parents, Feo is sipping fire water in his other office to celebrate his great luck in the money happy marriage bargain he has made with Gabriela. With the money and property she is showering on him and what Raquel is willing to give him in competition with Gabi, he concludes, Women alone are easy prey. He brags to Armando, who less than the devoted servant Feo thinks he is, decides Raquel needs to know about these marriage plans.

Raquel enters a lawyers office wondering who has brought this claim against her land. The Hacienda Uribe is being challenged by the alleged legitimate owners: the Robles Reyes.

Abuelo tells Oscar and Juan that Feonando has tricked him into signing over his fortunes. But Abuelo has a few aces up his sleeves. He has secret resources that Feo knew nothing about and the reclaiming of the Reyes lands will be his project. He is not as stupid nor as old of a fool as Feo would like to think.

Feo and Gabriel await the arrival of Sarita and Jimena to inform them that "we plan to marry, we love each other and we are getting married. shock bounces off the very walls as they echo casarnos, casarnos...
********************

Mama this can't be, its barbaric, its a joke. This can't be, it's impossible, Gabi snaps back, Would I joke about something so serious. This has to do with my happiness. But he is your son-in-law. Feo stands to assure them he is ready to file divorce papers (lucky Sofia) and age or nothing matters to Feo but his love for Gabi and his happiness. Gabi sweetly adds, If you don't want to return to this house which is MY house, it's not important. (ha, she hasn't seen Feo's paperwork has she?)

Raquel is yelling at the lawyer who can't find any proof of Uribe signatures or proof of ownership of this hacienda. You'll hear from my husband and his lawyers..

The Reyes argue in the waiting room when Raquel appears to announce to them that she has no intention of losing her hacienda even though they have filed a suit and Juan assures her they will fight to get their rightful property back.

YUCK WARNING! Gab/Feo entwine in lust back at the hacienda. Are you sorry to be with me now that your daughters are against this marriage. We will live like husband and wife and I don't care who doesn't like it . And the same goes for my father. Feo waxes poetic with love, this is why you make me crazy, this is why I love you, you are so valiant.

The girls wring their hands over Mom's sinful ways. When did this start, I don't understand anything. Abuelo says their father never loved Gabi and neither does Feo, so she bought his love just like the last time. You're mom is so perverted she doesn't know what real love is. Sarita is still worried for her sick mother. Yeah she's sick alright according to the tests in Puebla, says Jimena she needs special treatment. (Oh the irony of it all). Gramps assures them, the only thing that they should worry about is that Sofia should be reestablished in her house and her baby will be born safe and sound. Nothing else matters.

Sofia, kind of Sleeping Beauty like, tells Eva that the Reyes elf house makes her happy because it is her true home. I love you so much daughter. Eva, Do you know why I fell. I think that your mother told you something awful like she wasn't your mother. She also told me that you are my mother, are my mother, are my mother. (You know these writers make this a snap to translate)
***********************
At first it impressed me, shocked me mucho, but now later I think that I ended the winner knowing that you are my mother. My child, sighs Eva. Sofia then tells that Momma told her that she made the whole thing up and Sofia confesses that she forgave her mother once more. Sofia asks like a little girl, would you be happy to know that I am really your little girl? You have always been a favorite and I have always had special feelings for you like you were my daughter.

Quintina's sister asks her son why he wants to go. He wants to try his luck elsewhere. She can come with him he says but she never wants to leave her country. Quintina comes with bugsbunny voice selling pan, swears she is trying to save her real voice. Rigo's brother (sorry I can't ever remember his name) wonders why she is seeking poblano chiles in Puebla, how silly she is.

Rosario and Ofelia walk arm in arm by the world's noisiest fountain and talk about how they love each other and Rosario thanks her for being so good to her in good times and bad. What if Eva is not your mother? Rosario assures her, I will love her the same no matter what the blood ties.

Quintana breaks into poetry about her rellenos, chorizo, beans and finger lickin' good stuff for the banquet she plans to prepare to welcome Juan and Sofia back home. Chiles en nogado, the best in the world. Nuns invented this recipe for emperor Augustine en Iturbide. Rigo's brother shows her the Mexican flag with green for the chiles, white for the nogado and red for the pomegranate. Rigo comes along with the first pomegranates of the season, a basket full of the best. Quintina kisses and bunnytalks forgetting all about selling bread.

Abuelo now tells the girls that Feo tricked him out of all his money and property. He is convinced this is Feo's real aim in his quest to marry Gabriela.

Quintina sings in the kitchen, Pablito is going to carry flowers to his Abuela's grave while Quintina makes the best food ever. Where did this cute kitchen come from. She cries over the onions and makes the chiles en nogado (I am slobbering on this computer, hope it doesn't short out. I haven't drooled like this since the shower and swimming hole scenes.)
*************************
Sarita goes to visit the sleeping beauty, Franco. I hope you recognize my voice, I am Sarita, you recognize me true? I am happy and even though you may have forgotten me I remember that when we first met, you and Oscar saved my Abuelo when his wheelchair fell. I remember feeling things that I had never felt before. And at the fair, that day and night were magic It lit in me the flames of love and later I realized that we enjoyed the same poems and in this same room when you were recuperating from that vicious beating, I gave myself my first kiss on your lips. She was immensely happy, then she gets all worked up about the hatred she felt when she saw Rosario kissing him in the bakery. And the first kisses she got from him awake and the first feel up under the water at ye olde swimming hole . You are the man that I love and always will love. She then relives the confrontation with Rosario at Abuelo's She waited for him to rescue her from the church wedding, when you didn't arrive with all the other Reyes. She prayed that he would come to liberate her in time. She ran out when Franco is discovered hurt once again, then hears Abuelo say Franco ran off with Rosario and was set on fire. She then decided to retire from the world and dedicate herself to God's work. But I am enchanted and even though you love Rosario, I still love you for all my life. Franco I love you . She kisses him with her eyes closed so she doesn't seem his tears, but we do. She looks back but still doesn't see the tears that we see up close running down the whiskered cheeks of Franco. Sigh....
************************
Jimena comes into the kitchen saying bad news makes her hungry. Quintina slaps Jimena's hands for snatching food Q is preparing for the banquet for the triumphant return of Juan and Sofia. Quintina says she should be like Sofia who helps Juan in the bakery, does wifely chores and helps in the orphanage. Q begins to tell her that she doesn't do any wifely things like wash and iron Oscar's clothes, which she should really do before eating. Jimena is clueless (but you knew that) Q begins to teach her the wifely arts. The well manicured Jimena rubs on a washboard and washes and rewashes the clothes, then irons and irons and irons while Quintina supervises pointing out that the iron needs to be plugged in. She throws away the burned torn pieces, ala Lucy Ricardo.

Oh snakes alive! PaddyTad has a sudden headache. Ave maria purisima, snakes out Feo. AGAIN, what do you want this time why are you trying to make fools of us in the house of God? Feo sits with his self-satisfied smile, I have information that you are going to want to have. Gabriela and I are getting married.

Before we all upchuck, the scene switches to Juan coming in and jumping on the couch. They joke and laugh about Sofia's and the baby's recovery. Just then, Gabriela comes in all high and mighty and demands to see Sofia and no one will stop her. Just as Eva and Sofia talk about their love for one another. Sofia confides that she is glad to know that Eva is her real mother. Gabi sweeps in saying how happy she is to see Sofia better. She wants to talk to Sofia alone, but Sofia asks Eva to stay put telling BadMom, we have no secrets do we. Mama, what do you want to tell me?

Paddy Tad refuses confession from Feo he will not hear his crimes and sins any longer. Without the confessional he has the liberty to condemn him.

Gabi has something very delicate to tell Sofia and wants to do it alone. Eva leaves, already knowing the news and tells Sofia they will talk later. Gabi the evil says, I am going to get married . Married to whom?? To Fernando, to Fernando, Fernando, ....

Tomorrow:
Feo is a jerk
Gabi is a jerk
Feo is a jerk, oops already wrote that but it's true... and goes well with the dialog echos tonight.
Thanks Julie for the great idea, I am going to set up a template of predesignated jerks on my computer too!

Labels:


Comments:
Hola todos! I have enjoyed reading your immensely entertaining recaps and just wanted to thank all of you for your wit and humor.

As I missed today's and will miss tomorrow's episodes, I particularly appreciate being able to catch up here. Can't stop watching this lousy novela that is so bad it is good!

If you care to, please post your background in Spanish that enables you to so closely report que pasa in this novela. For me, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer hace muchisimo and have found that the novelas enable me to keep my conversation skills up. Although I have found that the modismos have changed considerably.

Muchas gracias! Barbara in Virginia
 

Thanks for the comment and appreciation, Barbara, this is such a fun comedy to recap, I would do it for no pay. Oh wait, it doesn't include pay. What a relief.

Telenovela watching is also my constant practice vehicle of choice. I personally spent a year (1973) in South America speaking Spanish and a month of Portuguese packed on top of 4 years of Latin and French from school days. Many years later after I had spent time learning Italian, Greek, Japanese, and Russian, I returned to studying Spanish once I moved to New Mexico. Here I have infinite resources with a 42% Spanish as first language population and superb classes from UNM and the Cervantes Institute. I study in small private classes with a master teacher, Alejandro Lopez in Santa Cruz (NM) several times a year and spend up to a month a year in Mexico. This year I am adding 3 weeks in Spain to all that. If that isn't enough, I add fortnightly meetings of "El Grupo" a conversation group and I always play Spanish music on the radio in my car. I am recapping one TN (this one) and watching 2 others right now but that has gone up to as many as five telenovelas at a time. I especially enjoy Spanish and Mexican literature classes available here too. As you can see I am happily and deliberately unemployed and only my lovely poodle Willa has to listen to all this with me. She knows about half of her commands in Spanish or English - does that make her a bilingual dog?
 

Cheryl; wow you are speedy! thanks for getting the recap up so quickly. I am racing and will have to delay reading it until tomorrow. Just want to say, wish they would put a runner across the bottom of the screen with the recipes!!!
Only turnoff was Quintana with all that red lipstick slurping cream sauce off the wooden spoon and then sticking it back in the pan. But hey, who hasn't done that?
"Creemelo" out on the West Coast where it gets late waaay too early
 

PS Cheryl I just read your language background, now it's clear how you capture all those subtle nuances when you recap.
Barbara, you made an interesting suggestion about our various backgrounds in Spanish. I spent from 1967-1978 in Latin America (Venezuela and la Republica Dominicana) but my fluency is completely gone. I am hoping to revive it...oh wait, maybe if I pray to the glowing lily it will come back!!!
"Creemelo"
 

Thank you Cheryl NM for the fast report, I just now turned it off and you already have it up on the pantalla for us to read!

I too like Julie's idea of listing out who is a jerk. Combine that with your idea of repeating impactados.

Those 2 ideas would make writing these up very easy --- for example,

Feo is a jerk
Gabi is a jerk
Feo is a jerk is a jerk is a jerk
Gabi is a jerk is a jerk is a jerk

and so on.

PanQue
 

Thanks for the great recap..
Holy Guacamole...people your Spanish skills egads,

I am so not worthy,
Two years junior high..of which all my brother and I learned was "Como esta usted" "Bien y tu bien?" plus Andale and Arriba. We drove our parents crazy with those few words. Two College semesters and all I learned was "Los Dos Penguinos", we had to give a speech about a trip. I could only do it, if the words rhymed. So my trip was to Anartica to see Penguins. It ended with "Adios a mi los dos Penguino Amigos", I'm not sure if this is even right, but I got an A and all the people I worked with got to learn the phrases.

Oh year I forgot about the 21 years of living with my husband. I still can't speak Spanish, though his English has gotten better.
 

Cheryl NM: thx for the great recap & WOW! I am impressed with your background. My own is rather poor, since I initially spoke a little Italian, learned Spanish along with Latin in high school and thus managed to mix all 3 into a linguistic hodge podge. I love languages & improved my Italian immensely by going back to class & vacationing there so I guess if I really want to improve my Spanish, I NEED A VACATION!! In the interim, this is how I rationalize my TN viewing.

So, back to Brigadoom (yes, intentionally misspelled)...

Not a lot going on last night. No glowing uterus, no resolutions or revelations, just the inexplicable chipmunk soundtrack for lovable Q. What the ??

But had to love Jimena's housewife routine. They DO have electricity in the Reyes casa, as Q pointed out when Jimena tried ironing Oscar's shirts without plugging it in. Go figure! Unless they have Mariachi out back on a treadmill.

We all need something to wash the Feo/Crabi lust scenes out of our eyes. Time for some half nekkid boys in the shower or in a waterfall. I mean, c'mon, they are just torturing us. Even Rosario's "assets" have been under cover for weeks which must be frustrating for the hombres.

Maggie
:-)
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Thank you Cheryl for the recap.

Ok, this is bugging me (and maybe I missed something) how did Raquel know to go to the hospital to find Juan et al?
 

Cheryl: First of all, thanks for a great recap. Secondly, I'm blown away by your Spanish language background. Wow!

And, now to the novela. Poor Pedro. Looks like he's getting his hopes up about Sarita leaving the convent. Sadly, he doesn't know that she's committed to Franco who's unconcious even when he's not.

Raquel Uribe where is your husband? He must exist, but his reputation is more real than he is.

Also, I didn't think that Crabi and Feo would announce their nuptials so soon. Lucky break for Sofia and Juan. Speaking of whom, dear Juan looks a little shopworn. It must be the stress of being a Robles married to an Elizondo - or a pretend Elizondo.

From lower Ala
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Hi Barbara! My Spanish background is easy to sum up - 4 years in high school, 21 years of nothing, then 2 years of telenovelas. Back in high school, I could speak/write it better than I could listen to/read it; now it's the other way around, and my vocabulary is mostly limited to telenovela-related subjects: love, jealousy, tequila, light business and legal matters. That's the short version of the story. :)

So it turns out that this mole feast is going to be at home? That explains a lot. I thought Grandpa was planning to take the whole gang out to lunch in Puebla on 50 pesos (current value: US$4.94)... good luck with that! (And nice of him to volunteer Quintina's services like that, huh?)
 

Extra thanks, Cheryl, for capturing all of Sarita's speech to Sleeping Fuzzy. I actually dozed off during this scene myself. I must say that Sarita's communication skills would be excellent if not for the fact that she does most of her "communicating" through:

1. Letters she's written, never meaning to send.
2. Lengthy speeches to an unconscious man.
 

quick 'cap, Cheryl, how do you guys do it? Thanks. Por que, porque, porque en este mundo verde, does anyone allow the witch Crabi into any room anytime, anywhere, alone with Sofia after all the horrible thing that bruja has done?!?! not in any world that i can conceive of...I, too, was wondering about the scene with bad-hair-EVERYday Raqui stumbling into the waiting room with los hermanos Kings/Oaks....watching Quintina in the cocina inspired me to do a mole of my own, never tried that, and found a simple receta that i'm gonna try tomorrow, have everything but the chocolate.
Barbara,et al- my background- also Peace Corps, Nicaragua '76-77, dealing with hispanic contractors and laborers since then, losing money on a beachfront bar in Costa Rica for a year. I watch telenovelas to keep the rust from getting too thick on my comprehension, (and for masochismic pleasure, to be sure). Oddly, my speach is much better than comprehension, and people think I am much more able than I am, and way to often I am- WTF? My next adventure- I'm thinking of buying into a coffee finca in Nicaragua that they are selling parcels of, sellers retaining administration, and splitting the crop with owners.
 

Anyone notice the lack of equipment in Sofia's hsopital room except for one lonely monitor?
And I was wondering where they were going to plug the iron into.

So at Feo and Crabi's wedding we'll probably have Raquel as matron of honor, oh no, they are not speaking. Does Crabi have any other friends? Feo can have Armando as his best man.
 

Oh - one thing I thought was funny - if you're with a friend who's momentarily physically disadvantaged, and then that friend's mortal enemy shows up and demands to be alone with your friend, and your friend insists that you should stay, PLEASE STAY because your friend probably feels unsafe and needs a witness.

I mean, maybe not Sofia because she thinks she's indestructible, but as a general policy, you don't leave a sick friend alone in a room with someone who's already mistreated her.
 

Absolutely correct, Julie. Sometimes I think that these writers are trying to "enlighten" us by showing us good example of a bad example. Eva's abandoning of Sofia at this fragile and vulnerable time will have serious consequences. Eva will profusely apologize, and probably Juan, too for allowing this to have happened. i'm sorry, but apologies don't cut the same mustard as avoiding the situation that requires the apology after the fact. Reprehensible behaviour on everyon's part...
 

I totally agree Julie. I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't leave her alone with Crabi, not even for one minute. She might try to strangle her with her IV tube or something.
 

Haven't had time to read recap or comments or see show...but LOVE the title. You just keep getting better and better, Cheryl.
 

Julie...
Thanks for the Letters she's written never meaning to send..
I can't get the Knights in White Satin outta my head, they have replaced the "Go home, Go home, go with Bonnie Juan"

Eva is the whipping boy of this story, it is always, she shoulda, coulda, woulda...
She carries the guilt of Bernardo, Libia, her ? daughter, Sofie's many near death experiences, the Mexican Revolucion, the
Stock Market Crash of 1929, the death of Pedro Infante, her love child with Saddam, the Kennedy Assasination and I believe she may soon be on her way to Gitmo for links to 911.

Eva just has a literal giant target on her back
 

I was thinking how green in a conservationist sense this TN is. They do more recycling of scenes with everyone's mind-movies rerunning precious and horrid moments over and over. Julie, you nailed Sarita's patterns she rarely speaks and then half the time she is spewing Gabi junior style venom since she doesn't seem to understand the world too well. Her effect is also like Gabi in that the actress' beautiful, near perfect face continues to spell bound me when awful words come out of it.

This was a slow episode with Grandpa telling his Feo ripped me off tale to everyone and Feo and Gabi making everyone gag with their news. It's alive is the news of the baby and endless hospital bed scenes. Even Franco looks ready to wake up. I liked the comic relief of Quintina's scenes in the market and in the kitchen. This actress has studied in London according to IMDB so her English is easy for her. I really listened last night to how well she pronounces English words.

Oh a small movement was Padre Tadeo refusing to hear any more crime scenes in the confessional. I was worried for a while that Feo would find a way to kill him but I don't think or at least I really hope he doesn't do anything to my favorite PaddyTad.
 

Whatever happened to the Bishop? We haven't heard any more about that.
 

Remember when Fernando crept into Abuelo's house and was looking at Luisito. There was a woman sleeping there next to him. Who was that? I thought that it was Rosario but the next day they showed her in her hospital room.
 

I thought it was Rosario because of the hospital gown.
 

Lola, I thought the same thing but Feo didn't show any interest in her. Not that he would have now that he's had a taste of these older richer gals but it must have been one of the younger maids sleeping next to him.

And, Connie, didn't the bishop warn PaddyTad this time since it was the first bad news he had ever heard of him? Feo could cause more problems if he is mad about not getting to slime PT with his gruesome stories any more.
 

I think you are right Cheryl. I thought Crabi had talked to the Bishop again but I think I'm just confused. Sometimes it is hard to keep up on the little side plots.
 

I didn't think it was Rosario sleeping next to Luisito but possibly a previously unseen maid for Abuelo (not that it was ever made clear).

Raqi as Crabi's Matron of Honor...ha! Now there's an uncomfortable scenario I would LOVE to see! Although Feo seems unfazed by just about everything.

Maggie
 

Crabi threatened to go to the bishop again, but I think she was too busy with Feo, her illness, and messing with her daughters to get around to it.

Or maybe she wrote the bishop a letter, and the reply will show up at a really inconvenient time!
 

It was the pretty young maid that Oscar was chatting with in the kitchen the other day.I mentioned yesterday that Fernando's proximity to her was creepy.
 

I propose that the whose child is whose be sorted out by getting all the gang together and collecting mouth swabs. Padre Tadeo (who else) could supervise and take charge of the samples, have them analyzed and announce the results. Recent episodes have shown that some medical sophistication exists within a donkey ride.

I think that both Gabi and Racquel have paid informants to keep them updated on everyone's whereabouts. How else could Gabi always have shown up at the right place to humiliate Oscar?

On the language subject, a big thanks to everyone who lends their (considerable) talents to doing these recaps. My Spanish is improving, but as my nietos otro abuelo said, the problem is not that the actors speak too fast, you listen too slowly. I'm working on that.

Abuelo P
 

Thanks for the recap, Cheryl. I enjoyed the comic relief of Quintina's activities and Jimena's laundry attempts.
My Spanish was learned in high school and college classes, many years ago. My comprehension has increased by watching TNs and reading the closed captions. It's great to have this site to fill in the inevitable blanks.
La Paloma
 

Wonderful recap as usual - many thanks for all the time and effort you guys put in plus all the wonderful comic relief you all provide. As much as I enjoy watching the novelas I especially look forward to the treat of reading the recaps in the morning!
One of my favorite characters is Quintina - without her and Gramps this TN would be a bust!
Regarding the person sleeping with Luisito: Eva mentioned sometime back that one of the maids (can't remember her name) was helping her by watching over Luisito when she (Eva) wasn't there.
Father Tadeo gets a pat on the back for refusing to hear Feo's confession, but makes me wonder if it puts him in danger....
Telenovelera in AZ
 

We started learning Spanish in the 4th grade. So I had it all through elementary school, 7th, 8th, 10th-12th grade and Spanish 1-3 in college. Unless you use it a lot you forget quite a bit of it. I've found watching TV in Spanish greatly expands my comprehension and you learn they way words are really used as compared to what you were taught in school. I don't have subtitles on my tv so I watch in Spanish and then check here to see what I missed. I usually get the main idea but not necessarily every word.
 

Thanks to all for sharing your Spanish language background. My, my, Cheryl but yours is impresive!

And Dorado Dave, glad to see that there is another RPCV here. When I left Colombia in '69, I was thinking and dreaming in Spanish. Now I'm lucky to even remember what I dreamed!

I often find Jorge Salinas' Spanish had to follow. But he is so yummy the eye candy is enough to keep me engaged.

I look forward to tonight's recap as I will miss this episode.

!Que gozen la comedia! And as they used to say in Colombia, "!Que duerman con la virgen despues!"

Barbara
 

Connie--am I right in remembering that after Crabi met with the Bishop, the Bishop informed Padre Tad that he would be transferred? Remember how bummed out we all were? I was just thinking about that last night...the Bishop's threat dissolved, sort of like Sofia's anti-man phobia of a few weeks back.
"Creemelo"
 

Okay, I was trying to watch two days worth, I feel asleep during last nights episode and woke up to Feo and Crabi bumping uglies and fell back asleep from the horror. Then I read and find out I missed a Sarita/Franco finger wiggle moment, ack! Must rewind.

Julie how can you trash my Sarita? Although I totally agree and I'm glad we've circled round again to the Knights it White Cotton. I don't know what it is about her, but she keeps me intrigued. Maybe because when she finally lets loose all those boys better stand back!

I think since Crabi has procliamed that she will marry her SIL, she is going to have to leave Tadeo alone. Doesn't give her much of a leg to stand on with the Bishop.

Love the recap! Awesome as always. Thank you!
 

Molly, you really missed it! There was a multiple wiggly finger and a sort of blinky eye and tear moment. Better rewind. :-}
 

Creemelo, I think the Bishop said something about the charges being serious but since he had had no reports on Tadeo before he was going to give him a warning. But i'm kind of fuzzy on that. It did just sort of disappear and was never mentioned again.
 

Ahhh....my poor Franco, I wasn't there for him! I think if he just woke up EVERYONE would take shower! Wheeee!
 

We sure are overdue for a shower or swimming hole scene. I hope all these marriages and girlfriends don't ruin our treat of the boys at t he old swimming hole. After all these tense moments talking and praying or lurking and leering over sleeping bodies we need some good tighty whitey or bare bums action. ¡Auxilio!
 

Great recap, Cheryl! And your background is SO interesting. Here's mine. In high school I took 3 yrs Latin and then one of French. Then, an interest in opera caused me to study 2 years of Italian. I then moved on to Portuguese because of a Brazilian boyfriend. Was able to use my language skills in both Italy and Brazil. Last, but certainly not least, I decided to begin studying the most useful language for a California resident: Spanish. I started out in beginning Spanish in adult evening classes at the high school. Was fortunate enough to have a FABULOUS teacher. He's half and half. Mother from Mexico, father from USA. I stayed with those classes through beginning and intermediate, then, with a big gulp, moved on to advanced, taught by my beginning Spanish teacher's mother, Graciela. I've been in this advanced class for close to 10 years now. The first hour is spent in conversation back and forth, how I spent the weekend, book and movie reviews etc. Then the second hour we read aloud from and discuss Spanish novels. By this time, these people are good friends and I LOVE going to my class Wednesday nights. I got the idea of watching telenovelas to improve comprehension from another student in this advanced class. My first novela was El Privilegio de Amar, also with Adela, and I've seen many since then. I do believe it's sharpened my comprehension.
 

My first TN was Destilando Amor. My boyfriend who is from Guatemala got me started on it and now I'm totally hooked. By the end of that one I was understanding 80% of it. So now I'm addicted to FELS not only because of the goofy story line, the improvement it makes on my comprehension, all my new friends at Caray Caray, but the most important reason is because EY is in it! :)
 

Barbara- I still dream in Spanish occasionally, no como antes. It's the only time I have perfect comprehension!
 

I think one of the best methods to learn a language other than these fabulous telenovelas is to have a love or mate who speaks the language. I am so impressed with all the people who have talked about their aquisition of language. There are so many ways to do it. Hopefully we can all continue the most enjoyable ways. 8; )....
 

Thanks Cheryl for the fabulous recap. Your language background is super. The subject of how we learned Spanish comes up ever so often and I always enjoy it. It's so true that what you don't use you lose. I lived in Puerto Rico for almost 4 years. I took both private and Berlitz lessons. I could speak it well enough to be understood and could understand the spoken language pretty well. Now, over 20 years of not using it, I forgot more that I know. I'm addicted to subtitles in order to understand the spoken word. I am taking a conversational class at the local library. Watching the novelas and reading recaps is very helpful. I'm determined to hang in there. Where I live the population is almost 50% hispanic. So, there's plenty of opportunity to practice.
 

I am having trouble understanding the Spanish on this TN because the music and sound effects (not even pertaining to the show!) seem to be louder than the conversation. I found the same thing with Destilando. It seemed that truck noises were often in the background.
 

Another enjoyable read from you, Cheryl/NM! You definitely have a background in Spanish that is enviable as well as admirable. I kept dosing off myself with last night's lack of plotlines. Hospital stays are boring enough in real life; 2 weeks of using it for a backdrop to tragedy once the tragedy has been overcome is a snore, not to mention Sarita's going down memory lane last night summarizing the 14 weeks of her role in the story. ¡ZZZZZ!

As for me, I had a year of Latin, 3yrs of H.S. French and 2 in college. I got bored after my kids started taking French and Spanish in H.S. themselves and began reteaching myself French for a couple of trips to gay Paris, taught myself a bit of Portuguese since my brother lived in Brazil, then 4 years ago I decided to get serious about learning Spanish. The nightschool classes here are very limited, but for a year or so I enjoyed the evening continuing ed from a French emigree who teaches five languages, including Spanish! I did a lot of homestudy workbook stuff on my own later on. Hubby thought watching telenovelas on the new Spanish cable channel would be a hoot and we started with Amar Otra Vez, about 2 months in. The Spanish teacher clued me in to using closed captioning to improve my comprehension. What a "I could a had a V-8" slap me silly moment!

In the meantime I wrote Spanish summaries for Uni forums to put my studies to use and then English ones from time to time on Telenovela World, and then I did volunteer translations of small business loans for entrepreneurial Columbianos for the "Returned Peace Corp Volunteers of So. Florida Columbia Project". Hubby and I have often talked about retiring to a Spanish speaking country and perhaps running a small vineyard or finca much like dorado dave has mentioned doing.
 

Novelera: I, too, watched El Privilegio de Amar with Adela Noriega during my initial frenzy of TN's...then I dropped out and didn't watch again until FELS came along.
Remember how Adela wore an eyepatch for a couple of weeks in El Privilegio? Not as bad as being in the slammer but it got really annoying after awhile.
Cheryl I keep forgetting to tell you how cute your poodle's pic is with his little sombrero!
"Creemelo"
 

I love the idea of spending more months in Mexico or in any other Latin American country or even in Spain if the dollar and the euro ever get close again. At some point I also want to take up Italian in a class. Right now I get really bad crossover but feel like maybe by next spring I could take an Italian course and not get too tangled up. I originally learned Italian by going there and then later by usng the Pimsleur tapes from the library. They are super for auditory learning. I think some people really like the Rosetta Stone for visual and auditory combinations on a computer.

When I worked on a project very briefly in the Repub. of the Congo (Zaire at the time) I brushed up my French and found the Congolese much more forgiving than Parisians. Southern France is better for less judgemental people to help you with French.

Someday I would like to go to Cuba since that is the accent I find most difficult to understand. Argentina is next hardest for me. Here in Abq. we have a considerable latino population for so many Spanish speaking countries that it helps to keep flexible both in hearing and speaking. My next objective is to be a better writer in Spanish. I would like to try some of what you have done Calamity Cakes. I did translate a local politician's brochure into Spanish for her this summer. I had to research some words for ordinary things is unusual here in New Mexico where we have some Spanish speakers whose ancestors came here 300 or 400 years ago. It is all interesting to me. What a rich and deep country we live in
 

Creemelo, Willa thanks you for the compliment on her sombrero pics. She was not too happy about posing for these. I had to borrow an authentic sombrero and I think it smelled musty but she didn't like it at all. So many dog cookies later..... Actually the pirate kerchief I put on her for my Pasion icon was easier to talk her into. The kerchief was mine and we did it quickly down in the Bosque near the Rio Grande on one of our daily walks. She looked like she was smiling in those pics.
 

Cheryl, you are so right about Cuban Spanish. I had a Cuban boyfriend (Gad, I think I've had one from every continent.) when I was just beginning to study Spanish, and I couldn't understand anything he and his friends were saying. His name was Luis, but they cut off all the "s" sounds at the end of words, so his friends called him "Looee". About a month ago I happened to catch a Cuban movie on cable and it was much better, but even with all the years of Spanish classes and telenovelas, I didn't completely understand without reading the English subtitles.
 

Hi everyone, still a couple of days behind, but since someone was earlier talking about Julissa, I thought you might want to click on this
http://julissa.com.mx/6Fotos_Ing/index.html

Boy, talk about reincarnations. You can't even tell what she used to look like. She looks different in almost every picture and especially now, with all that eye makeup and those wigs.
 

Is Julissa who plays Raquel? I was impressed with how many ways she looked in her own home pictures. She is a pretty woman. I kind of liked her character before this land title threat but I guess you would be up in arms if someone threatened to oust you from a home that you had assumed was yours. I wonder how innocent she is about the land deal. She sure was in on the baby swapping or baby hiding if that is w hat she did for Gabriela. I can't wait for this plot to be unraveled. Thanks for the Julissa site, Jazzee.
 

Thanks, Jazzee! It seems that Julissa (not to be confused with the other Julissa!) has been the height of fashion at all times... both a good thing and a bad thing - she never looks the same way twice, but you can always tell in which year the picture was taken...

I feel more sorry for Raquel than anything. I get a strong impression that she's sort of a 30-years-later version of Rosario - she got mixed up with the wrong man and now she can't get him out of her life. This is forcing her to make decisions that, in a different lifetime, she would never even have to consider.

But don't forget how understanding she was when Octavio told her his big secret. And she also gave a big chunk of money to Feo even knowing that her husband might find out. So she isn't a spineless coward, just a very understandably nervous woman!

I think she really doesn't know how her husband came to "own" the hacienda. But I noticed in tonight's episode that when she referred to her hacienda, the captioner took the liberty of putting "my" in quotes even though Raq didn't say it that way (not that I noticed). I thought that was pretty funny!
 

Thank you , Cheryl. Life has been even more hectic than usual lately, so I've been having trouble finding time to read the recaps. It was very interesting to read about everyone's language backgrounds. Mine is not very exciting. I studied Latin and French in high school. I had the same teacher for both and for English literature....it was a very small rural school. I was terrible at listening comprehension , but I was okay at vocabulary, and I can still sing ''Adeste Fidelis'' in Latin and several songs in French. I struggled through two semesters of French in college. I am a visual learner, and I am not good at learning languages. Oddly, I fell into teaching ESL . I am constantly looking for ways to improve my teaching techniques, and since I usually have many Spanish speaking students in my classes, I started watching telenovelas. Well, that's not the real reason...in fact, that's a really big lie...the real reason that I started watching telenovelas is that one day I was channel surfing and I surfed into Alborada and got one look at Fernando Colunga and said ''WOWEE WOW...Who is that guy and what is he saying ?????? '' I'm also a little computer phobic, but I googled Alborada and discovered Melinama's site and her translations of Alborada. What luck !!! P.S. I had to laugh at your comments about speaking French to Parisians , Cheryl. I had an older woman from Paris as a student several years ago , and I stopped trying to speak French to Diane because she was always correcting me. Diane was planning a trip to Quebec , and I told her that she would like it because they speak French there. However, when Diane returned, she assured me that they most certainly DID NOT speak French in Quebec. My friend Pat and I also embarrassed ourselves at luncheon at her home by refusing a cocktail, holding out the wrong wineglass, and wolfing down the first course because we thought that was the whole lunch and did not realize that a leg of lamb and dessert was following . However, I now have a student from Haiti who I am proud to say always understands me and smiles broadly at me when I speak French...badly. So, in short, the Spanish I'm picking up in a haphazard way is secondary to my enjoyment of certain galans.
 

MadBess, I have to confess that I too was hooked by wanting to know what was coming out of those beautiful mouths of the galans. My first telenovela was Alborada. Need I say more. I'd go for a doctorate in Spanish if it meant I got to study Fernando Colunga films and pictures all day.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder