Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Tonto for Tontas

Hi, everyone. This is Hombre de Misterio, and I've tontosamente (foolishly?) agreed to do the Friday recaps for Tontas. I'm going to tell you a little bit about myself, but not too much, since I'm the Hombre de Misterio.

Actually, I originally posted under the name Por Otro Lado, but I wanted people to know I was a guy, so I had to find a new name. At the time, I was mainly watching FELS, and since my real name is John (oh darn, I let that slip out!), I could have been Juan something, but since the main character in FELS is Juan, I had to go a different direction. Now you know.

I've been learning Spanish for a little less than two years, listening to CD's in the car, watching Destinos, and many other methods, but of course my favorite method is watching telenovelas. I first started watching LFMB and Destilando, both of which were in the middle, and understood very little other than who were the good guys and the bad guys, who was whose hija, etc. Hopefully I've improved a little since then. I didn't find Caray Caray until those other shows were over, but I'm glad I did.

These days I'm interested in everything Spanish and Latino - the tv shows, the music, the food, even the political issues. I especially like the music, because music is my other main hobby. I love opera, bluegrass (I play guitar, banjo, mandolin and a little fiddle), progressive rock, jam band music, techno, and now rock en español, salsa, and even ranchera (spelling corrected now). I also play electric guitar (Jimi Hendrix style!), piano, bass, and recorder, and now that I'm getting into ranchera, I'm thinking of learning the accordion!

Unfortunately I have a normal job, which greatly cuts down the time for my hobbies :)
Looking forward (with some trepidation) to doing my first recap this week!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hombre: Let me be the first to officially welcome you. I'm impressed that you have learned Spanish so well in such a short time. Your musical talent is also impressive. Best of luck. Diana in MA
 

Hombre, it seems you are learning the language the same way I did by watching novelas. I don't use CC's and sometimes draw a blank on what is being said but in many novelas the body language and action fill in the gaps. Once I got into novelas I also fell in love with the music especially the ranchero. Lots of luck recapping.
 

I'm looking forward to your first recap, Hombre!
 

Hombre, thanks so much for joining the recapping team! I regret having to give it up, but it's always great to have new blood, especially males to recap and get the perspective.

I've been MIA for a few weeks since the end of QE because of work, which has been intense, and too much travel. I hope to get back to comment in the next few days!

Jeanne
 

Nice to meet you, Hombre. Don't worry. You didn't give away too much...You're still misterioso.
 

HdM - No te preocupes! We appreciate any recaps and we won't complain because WE are grateful for all the recappers' time and efforts. :-)

doris
 

Hombre, welcome to the recapping team. I've enjoyed your comments in the past and look forward to your recaps.

As Doris said, don't worry about your work, we're grateful for the work all the recappers do. Best wishes.
 

Great you'll be recapping. A slight quibble. The wonderful music with the accordians is ranchera. Presumably it's feminine because la musica is feminine. Rancheras are played in border areas. Another very similar type is called norteñas. Believe this is from the Chihuahua area.
 

Hombre Misterioso, thank you for agreeing to do recaps. I look forward to reading them as they help me learn Spanish as well. Best Wishes.
Liena in FL
 

Thanks to all for your comments, and to Anon 3:07 for the tip on ranchera.
 

Hombre M. - Welcome to the recappers' world. I congratulate your bravery. I think you will find this is a great way to improve your understanding of Spanish since a recapper has to pay close attention and after a while you will begin to hear familiar phrases that are used over and over. That helps.

I am enjoying this show so much so I look forward to reading your contributions. I did not watch LFMB so tis is my first opportunity to fall in love with el divino Jaime Camil I like Jaqueline Braccamontes (sp?) too she is so appealing as are Valentin and Sabine whom we met in Amar Sin Limites.
 

Hombre, I learned Spanish by watching telenovelas, too. Welcome!
 

Cheryl - I really did not like Jackie B after watching Heridas de Amor a couple years ago, but I really like her a lot here. I'm not at all a fan of the whole 'women are skanks/men are pigs' theme in this show, but she is doing a wonderful job. Not crying for 20 minutes every episode has made her 10 times better of an actress, and 20 times prettier.

Hombre - I look forward to reading your recaps! Thanks again for swooping in (I imagine since you are tan misterioso you wear a cape like Zorro) and saving Fridays.
 

Ferro, I don't care for the big dump on men theme either but it seems like it is being torn away from her bit by bit and at times seems pretty funny. The Jaime and Jaquie tension seems as much or more attraction as repulsion. Also the other women are not so noble in their quest to control whatever men they are pursuing no matter what he might be intending to do.

Another nice feature of this telenovela is that no one is dying or especially no one is being murdered (I am afraid to say yet, but hope is there)
 

Welcome aboard Hombre and thank you for joining the team! I'm very impressed at your musical interest and I love love love the accordion.(I listen, I don't play.)
 

Hombre, thanks for stepping up to this, and, Chris, thanks for all your excellent work!
 

Hombre...I've been away so this is my first opportunity to comment.... but welcome to the team and I applaud you for being willing to take this on. I only work part-time so I'm especially impressed by the rest of the team who handle full-time jobs in addition to this.

And sounds like you've got a full-time hobby with your music. Latina music has really helped me in my work and I far prefer it to most contemporary American music these days.

We were blessed to have Chris and now equally blessed to have you Hombre. Thanks for answering the call.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder