Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Fuego, Wed., Jan. 07: Now you understand why they needed a bailout.

Good evening, my name is Nickster, and it has been twenty-one days since I’ve last watched FELS. God grant me the serenity to accept the stupidity and naïveté of the characters, the courage to represent whatever truth I can possibly discern, and the wisdom to know the difference. A.A.men

FELS was BIG in Cozumel, Mexico. So big, in fact, that local food stores and markets took advantage of the baking talents of a Mr. Juan Reyes, and offered his delicious "Sofia breads," among other delicacies in their bakeries.

*Yes, even abroad, FELS is always on my mind. More of a curse than anything…

So Pablito is all like Donny Osmond with his mammy in the living room. Apparently there is something special in those treasure chests which somebody stole, but little Donny won’t show his mammy anything because she speaks in tongues that he doesn’t understand. Then, when he does open up, it’s a bunch of crap like fifty-day old flowers and pictures of much older, but similarly BradyBunch-esque looking girls. “Think it,” says mammy, “Who would want this crap?”

Oscar is major trippin’ on the floor of his bedroom—couldn’t quite make it to the bed. Some curious needles are circulating and people are groping his legs. Seems to me that his groans are reminiscent of a long trip…

Aw, it’s like twins on earth! Whatever Mother Gabi wears, Imaginary Daughter Root reinvents in a much more skanky and free-flowing design. However, we all know that Sofia has been the real trend-setter, and that’s why most of Gabi’s attention goes to her. This makes Root sad because she loves her pretend mommy so much that she even wears leather gloves to hide her wrist wounds and other signs of border-line/obsessive behavior. Sofia happens to watch as Gabi and Root embrace solemnly, only leading to more envy between the bizarre daughters of Gabi who are united by the wondrous bonds of insanity. Root cries until she sees Sofia coming, then she chuckles inside. Sofia chews her out for pretending to love her fake mother and role model in evil. “But I love her.” “Then why are you getting it on with her husband?” Not even the quickest tongue of a viper can retort the clever remarks of Sofia…

Oscar can’t take anymore. The speed has eaten away whatever was left of his brain and innards. He is irritable and apathetic, yet stubbornly resistant. His rage is indicative of a drug-rehabilitation patient. It’s only a matter of time until his personal demons can escape the dangerous bonds of recreational drugs. Juan reproaches him after having knocked his woman out of the way. “Hitting family members is not good. Who else will love you?” Oscar tears, but his mental faculties do not allow him to fully understand the repercussions of his actions. I don’t see why he’s so pissed; I mean, he can still probably drive that tractor and drink tequila…

I swear Coyote and Raquel are stuck in some time warp. He’s been taking styling tips from Sammy Davis Jr. and Gene Simmons, while she is still convinced that anything off the “vintage” rack at Goodwill is good enough for primetime TV. Honey, medallions are so 90’s…

The much younger and exposed twin is all like, Daddy Uribe, you must hate Mama Gaby because she made you a killer. Then Daddy Uribe twists her wrists, which were fragile enough to begin with, and is like, you can’t hate Gaby because she is your mother—not your sister, even though everyone would think so because you have the same tastes in clothing and men… This news is pretty much a god send, but Root has never, ever been able to aptly handle her emotions or psychological states, so she runs outside to confront her problems with the only psychologist she knows; the bartender. In fact, she is so full of rage and mixed feelings, that while she started running, she ultimately decided to steal a horse from a humble field hand so that she could make it in time for the more economical happy-hour specials.

Gabi is having her own mid-day crisis and on top of that she’s driving down a dirt path; normally I’d say this is easy, but considering the amounts of booze she consumes, I’m sure it’s all she can do to not see “spirits.” Anyway, she goes to break (I have no earthly idea why because she’s going like 20 on an open “path”), and it doesn’t work probably because Fernie cut the breaks like in every other show he’s ever been in. Anyway, her pleasantly-intoxicated state makes her lose even more control when she decides that frantically turning the wheel will stop the car. This only leads to doom when she bangs her head on the fiberglass steering wheel. But what is this? Two horses come galloping along at random. It’s Juan! It’s Root! Single-handedly, they are going to stop this runaway full-size SUV, which, by the bye, is probably illegal to make… In the nickster of time Juan yanks Gabi’s arm and pulls her size-6 body out of the window! Thank God nobody in rural Mexico uses air conditioning, right? Seconds later the SUV collides with a tree at 25 miles per hour and creates an explosion that makes Nagasaki seem like a fire cracker… There’s nothing more sobering that a near-fatal car crash provoked by a nearly-fatal, crazy drunk, who is also your mother/idol...

Oscar’s condition has left him with little but the bitter memories of the life he once knew, which wasn’t much, but at least it was something…

More importantly, Juan didn’t leave his bitchy mother-in-law for dead and caringly brought her home to her fake daughter and dangerously-murderous husband. Oh! The irony…

Just because PadTad is 50 and looks 60, doesn’t mean he can call everyone who looks under 60 “mi hijo.” Anyway, he goes off on some rant to the guy who waters the flowers about, in the words of Cher, loving one another, father and mother, love one another, yeah… Said flower-waterer guy is deeply moved and presents crazy PadTad with a flower. He contemplates the meaning of this gesture, the meaning of flowers, the meaning of procreation, the meaning of his pathetic life, and ends up shoving the flower in some random pot and hates his life.

Mammy Quinti, on the other hand, appreciates her bachelorette status, and especially likes being the live-in slave for the Reyes boys. Maybe she’ll have a kid… But no way is she going to get married. This turns into a song and dance and then a waltz with Keebler the friendly, but fashionably-confused elf. Next stop: What Not to Wear: South of Civilization. Notice the bread that is also pictured above. I think this is a case of life imitating art…

On the bright side, this isn’t the first time Gabi has been in a drunken state, and it’s certainly not the first time she tried to kill herself/someone tried to kill her. Thank God everyone else in the house has the detox. routine down pat. Throw her on the bed, and let her sleep it off. Here, throw the blanket on her. But, I want to put it on her. No, I will; I’m her daughter. Rejected again, Root wishes Sofia only knew that she, Root Uribe, is the legitimate daughter—the one whom Gabi loves… she thinks… This lovely scene is only capitalized by Root tryin’ to steal Sofia’s man. “Girl, don’t make me snap my Z.” Sofia marks her territory by kissing Juan in Root’s very face. First her bio. mom, then the man of all her sexual fantasies… Root seems to be holding up on the outside, though I know she’s being strong for her beloved mother as she crumbles on the inside.

Over at the Historical Society, Coyote is telling Raquel about Ricky’s mysterious limp, and how he is a bad, bad man. Raquel gets all scared and nervous and then Coyote makes a move. He asks Raquel how Gabi and Ricky are united. By blood, says Raquel. Who, remember, probably doesn’t even know her own name half of the time, so…

Poor Jimena is learning what is means to be the enabling spouse of a medication-dependent, irate husband. She will never understand, though, that it isn’t her, but the drugs. Sarita tries to console, but if she had her way she’d rip his balls off, and then how would Oscar and Jimena have real, non-wards-of-state kids? However, it’s worth pointing out the Sarita has taken a somewhat-personal interest in Jimena’s case because Franco’s performance in the bedroom has not been up to par ever since Oscar started treating everyone like shit. Maybe now the girls can unite their limited knowledge about men and relationships and save everybody’s fake marriage thingys.

Oscar was basically doomed from birth, and sadly he realizes that while he desperately clings to the box spring for leverage. Getting himself into that damn chair was a week’s amount of work. What do you do when you have fallen and can’t get up? You call LifeAlert. “All senior citizens [drug abusers] must have LifeAlert,” says the lady in the sky-blue night gown who even more desperately needs a bra. Hey, but life isn’t that bad. Look at Gramps. He scored in a wheel chair, with Alzheimer’s, and being an octogenarian…! Now that’s the upside! Notice the producers have de-sexualized Oscar by making him wear boxer briefs instead of bikini briefs. I guess there’s nothing sexy about being bitchy and in a wheel chair. Though everyone has their own tastes…like Root…

To avoid confusion: I didn’t recap the Fernie-Juan fight because we’ve seen it on every other episode, I didn’t recap the Juan-PadTad conversation because we’ve seen it on every other episode, and I didn’t recap the Ricky-Gabi-Rooty make-up scene because…you get the idea…

Tomorrow: Root and Gabi can finally be together! As a matter of fact, Gabi loves Root more than all her other questionable daughters, and she simply never loved Sofia. What a shame that Sofia had to hear all this. Then there’s Fernie, who’s pissed that Root is going around saving everyone he tries to kill. Win some lose some…

All in all, nothing has changed. Juan is the same confused prick, PadTad is still the spooky philosophe/martyr/saint, and Sofia is still just as Mennonite as usual. How I love this show…

Labels:


Comments:
Nice buns Nickster!
 

Welcome Back, Nickster--Glad to see you have returnd safely!
I haven't read your recrap, FELS hasn't aired in my time zone yet, but I can't wait to hear the stories that go along with your photo.
Saludos,
"Creemelo"
 

Nick, I expected you to survive Cozumel well, but hey, congratulations on surviving FELS again tonight. I am just ducking in to say welcome back and adios. I fly to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow, then on to Cuernavaca, DF, Puebla and Oaxaca. I'll be back in early Feb to help carry this gasping fishy TN back to the water. Hopefully this all ends about the 3rd week in February.
 

Nickster: Great picture. Welcome back from Cozumel.

Your recap was fun all the way through, very cleverly written. Best quote (hard to pick only one) was: "I swear Coyote and Raquel are stuck in some time warp. He’s been taking styling tips from Sammy Davis Jr. and Gene Simmons, while she is still convinced that anything off the “vintage” rack at Goodwill is good enough for primetime TV. Honey, medallions are so 90’s…"

I thought Ricky would unmask Feo as the sniveling little weasal he is. I'm surprised that not only isn't Feo cowering and begging for mercy, but is actually holding his own. I think Feo's present excessive rage is part and parcel of his descent into madness, courtesy of Rosario. It will be interesting to see exactly who will be the more formidable villan. Diana in MA.
 

Good morning Nickster...enjoyed the photo (wow, but Sylvia stole my line!) and the rant.

I think I'm going to use your I didn't recap the (fill in the blank) because you've heard it all before for Tontas. We've already got a lot of repetitions in the Candy/Santiago scenes and it's early days yet!

Welcome back to the land of milk and honey. We missed you.
 

Great recap, Nickster. I misread Historical Society as Hysterical Society. Anyway, Raqui should be chairperson of the board.

After Oscar's umpteenth "..no puedo.." enter the Bull into the china shop. Make that Juan enters Oscar's room and gives Oscar Hell. My hero. He's not going to be undone by little Oscar.

In the kitchen Tio Vicente stands and converses with Juan who has to sit down otherwise we'd have a curious scene of The Giant and the mini-man.

Good morning.
 

Welcome back Nic. Thanks for the recrap. How many times does Gabi have to have a near death experience to realize someone is trying to whack her? Oh no, not Feo he loooooves me! Yeah right. He loves your money.

Did Slofia look like she was ready for a safari or was it just me? I can't even watch the Juan/Snofia scenes any more. It just grosses me out.
 

Welcome home, Nickster. Hope you had a great vacation. A.A.men....HA ..GOOD ONE !!!~~~Susanlynn, NOT on vacation
 

OMG, Nickster, you are TOO funny! Loved the picture of you & your hot buns (Sylvia...no flies on you, girl!) and your commentary was deliciously snarky. Thanks for brightening an otherwise dreary day in frozen Connecticut.

Poor Feo...he's lost his murder mojo.

Maggarita
:-)
 

It's amazing that even though Gabi took her foot off the gas and was driving across the grass, the car never even slowed down. Even making a turn slows a car down. I wish they had at least tilted the camera to make it look as if she were going downhill (although if she had been, the solution would have been to do a u-turn).

Also, just in case this isn't common knowledge: your regular brakes require brake fluid, but your emergency (parking) brake does not. (I didn't notice if she tried that, nor if Feo cut that cable as well as the brake fluid line.)

In any case, it's damn funny that the car exploded when it hit the tree. Is the gas tank in the front?

(Note to self: Next time, buy tinfoil beanies from reputable sellers only, not some guy in a van in the abandoned Zayre parking lot.)
 

I was disappointed that we did not get to hear Soledad's confession. I'm still trying to figure out how she fits in. Moving our beanies aside for the moment:

El Jefe + Pedro's mom = Pedro

Pedro's mom dies.

Soledad is pregnant with Coyote by Darth Uribe.

El Jefe marries Soledad so child will have a name.

Pedro and Coyote are half-brothers

Or--Maybe Soledad is Pedro's mom and never died but Pedro was told she was dead.

Ok--put the beanies back on. It's just too early.
 

Dude, you were in Cozumel? I'm so jealous! Did you do some diving? I'm freezing to death here. OK, it's not nearly as cold as Connecticut or MA but I'm still chilly.
Sylvia, whining in California and wishing she were eating big buns at the supermercado in Cozumel
 

Nice work Nickster! You sure hit the ground running with this one. Welcome back. Love the "buns" And Cap'nSylvia, you must have gotten out of bed mighty early to steal thunder from JudyB. I've often found her comments were exactly what I was thinking, but she got there first.
Julie, you've been listening to way too much Car Talk, but thanks for the brake info. And Zayre's??? Whoa! I've been away from my roots too long. I forgot about Zayres. But I need a new one of them beanies. It's all way over my head now.
 

Good that you're safely back Nickster.You'll notice that they basically put the plot on hold awaiting your your return. I hope that you got a chance to see Gabrilla's deft surgical technique and her noble effort to help Oscar overcome his dependency on pain meds. What an humanitarian! Judy B, did notice Ricardo's starched burnt orange shirt last night? Por casualidad? I think not. At least OSU fans didn't have to endure hearing "Texas Fight" in waltz tempo, their way of notifying opposing teams (in case they are unaware) that it's pretty much all over. A dreadful earworm good for about a week. Carlos
 

Ouch! Carlos! I'm trying to pretend Monday night never happened. Alas, I have a Texas native in one of my classes, burnt orange shirt and all. Also another good soul who wears a Florida shirt just in case I want to walk down that sad memory lane also. OUCH OUCH OUCH!
 

Hey, y'all! Thanks for the warm welcome. Cheryl--bon voyage.

Hey, JudyB, did you have a birthday? If so, Feliz Cumpleanos!
 

Great recap! I laughed so hard at all your funny comments.Gaby is so cruel to Oscar, I was glad they threw her out. After yesterday's recaps about Sophia's scarf, I noticed that her scarf was tied in different ways on last night's episode. Why can't they change up her outfits? Why do they dress her like that? Why?
Liena, FL
 

Liana, FL--Snofia is going through her Boss Lady period. You missed the Leather Corset period, the Snow White period, and the Black period. I think this has been the best so far!
 

Sorry for the misspelling Liena--I'm such a dork sometimes.
 

Yes, Nickster...I had another birthday. They just keep coming and coming and coming...Guess I shouldn't complain. Every day above ground is a good day...although with today's weather here in Ohio, I may rethink that. Gracias mi'ijo.
 

Nick, I always like your recaps because they so perfectly capture the twisted insanity of this show! I thought it was pretty amazing Juan, on a horse, could reach in and grab Crabi (who, I guess wasn't wearing her seat belt) from the "speeding" SUV. My wife, who didn't see it, asked how they did it, with stuntmen? Not quite. I guess with a little editing anything is possible.
 

I hope you got everything you wanted. And don't ever re-think life above ground, because the minute you do, you'll start driving SUV's with no breaks and turning up in locked bathrooms!
 

Dang...you mean someone might be after my Social Security check again?.... and no Juan to bail me out, I fear.

Actually I need to confess to someone, might as well be you Nickster, that I am again experiencing inappropriate feelings for Padre Tadeo. He may be useless as a padre but the profile shot of him the other night was awesome. What a schnozz! Just sayin'
 

Nickster, with each recrap you do, you top your last. Damn, you're funny. I know, I know, you have good material.
 

Okay, okay, I was bluffing... there is no abandoned Zayre around here. The Zayre was at the mall, and it's now a different store, and I think there's a parking garage where the lot used to be. (Same mall also used to have a Child World, also extinct, and a Woolworths, where I worked for a few months. Damn... how old am I??)

Nickster, I hope someday you get to recap a show you like. I'm really curious as to how that would affect your style. :-)
 

Nickster - welcome home and thanks for the recrap and opening "sanity" prayer. I had a moment of silence before I read it. ;-) I need a 12-step group after watching this novela.

ITA - nice buns! Geez...those things look like brains. Eeew. Did you try one and you start swooning and thought-bubbling for Sofiá?

Well I thought the Gabi/brakes/I-Juan-to-rescue-you scene was just so lame. How conveeeenient that she wasn't wearing a seat belt, and leaned toward the window when she passed out. And the then the explosion. LAME. (Gimmeabreak)

So now Root knows she's Gabi's real daughter. Veerrrry interesting.

doris
 

Doris, the best part of the "rescue" was that Gabi was supposed to be unconscious and yet she climbed out of the window herself and practically jumped on Capricho. Poor Capricho.
 

yeah I'm pretty sure that whole rescue was actually a physical impossibility! besides which, why did they all happen to be randomly careening and galloping along the same country road at the same time anyway?

don't tell me - I'm looking for the beanie now!
 

Yeah, that was some rescue. Caprichio sensed impending doom, raced to the scene, & I-Juan-A-New-Career gets all the credit for hauling Crabi to safety. I'm sure everyone in Viewer Land was secretly hoping the old bag would finally get her come-uppance but no, she lives to torture a while longer. The editing of the scene was interesting...there was a brief glimpse of the body double climbing out of the SUV & onto the horse. Great stuff...really...this is probably the best comedy on TV right now.

Maggarita
:-P
 

Connie - I noticed that but was suspending disbelief and pretending it was real. Wearin' my beanie hat really tight!

doris
 

I saw that too. I saw Gabriela climb out of the window and onto Capricho when she was supposed to be unconcious... Hehehe. If Juan was smart, he would say that 'I saved your life'. And hold her to it. Fernando is getting so pissed that Ruth keeps upsetting his plans to murder some more. Gotta love this.

Oh, a litte OT: You guys are not going to believe what I just saw in Youtube. There is this talk soup clip making fun of a Novela called La Madrastra. Fernando is in there as some cross dressing dude named Demetrio and Someone who looks like Padre Tadeo is Bruno with stupid looking makeup on. Constancio from Guapos is there as well as a small glimpse of Don Agustin as a priest. I think it is much more dumber than Fuego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljd6a7_ldw0



Ibarramedia
 

Nick, awesome recap! So glad you are back. The pic looks like you were in the Reyes bakery, did you try and Sophia bread?

How can Jaun pull Gabi through the window of a run away car and not dislocate at least her shoulder? Seriously!
 

I was hoping she would miss Capricho and fall on her face! :-}
 

Nick, welcome back! How you love this show and how I loved your recrap. The FELS serenity prayer was especially nice. I think I'll embroider a copy during the commercials. Or make it a motto on my tinfoil beanie.
Interesting that the SUV explosion was highly dramatic, but barely given a second of screen time in a throwaway move. Maybe too much other drama going on to give it a chance.
La Paloma
 

Ibarramedia - I actually watched La Madrastra when it was on Looneyvision a few years ago!!! It was by the same producer, Mejía, and was a total circo, buckets of fun. Having the Telenovela-World foro just added to the fun. Alexis posted some screen caps with hilarious captions at the T-W foro for LM.

doris
 

Hey guys!

My favorite from La Madrastra was when the super bitch played by Jacqueline Andere jumped from the roof of the house... and who could forget Fernie's character trying to seduce the children on the playground with a "puppet"...
 

Oh, and the time his wife lit the barn on fire... it was one of those things you'd have to see to not believe it...
 

Puppets? I love puppets!
Well, that's great. Just a few days ago I was swearing never to watch another Mejia disaster. Now I'm wishing I could see La Madastra. How long was it? The bad ones are so much more better when they're short.
 

Fun recap Nick.

Did they actually call the pan dulce Sofia's bread. If so, that's hilarious. I couldn't tell if they had the big S inscribed on them. They kind of look like the same pan dulce they've always had down in TJ. Talk about great marketing. ha ha
La Madrasta was common fodder for The Soup a couple of years ago.
 

There were a couple of comments about how come Ruth and Juan were both out riding when Crabi got into difficulty. Juan was a deus ex machina, but Ruth raced out there pell mell because her beloved Papi had just told her Crabi was her mamá. She knew about Feo's plan and that it was that very same day. She was dubious about killing her anyway and when she found out about the DNA, she jumped on her horse to try to save Crabi.
 

Saw the 2 hour finale flown in from Cuenavaca,...I won't tell. Thanks for the recap..
 

You have not lost your style, Nickster. Enjoyed the recrap very much. Now where has Mariach gone to, not that he would ever be a good watch dog. Wouldn't he be sleeping with Pablito or at least barking with all the crazy goings on at the Haciends Reyes/Robles. I think they traded him in for a baby so they wouldn't go over budget. They must be paying the stars oodles to act in this dog (sorry Mariachi.) But yet I watch and I swear to torture myself to the final episode. At least the recraps are great. GinCA
 

Julie, don't judge me, but I actually own La Madrastra on DVD! Scary, I know. It was nine hours and I figured I would get bored in the car so I bought it. Watched it twice, once in rural Michigan, once in Tampa... The plot sounded good at the time, with the whole whodunit thing... Basically, if you like women who are men who like women, you will like La Madrastra...! And sick perverted puppets who appeared in a one hour spin off to augment previous production costs.
 

Did I mention that Fernie surprisingly cuts the breaks of a truck in this one?
 

Nixter, okay, you didn't lose a single bit of snark on vacation. Thanks for saving it all up for this recrap!
Where is the continuity editor on this thing? I noticed last week Tio's hair was getting attractively (to me) salt and pepper gray. Then, couple days ago, it was jet-black. Last night, it was back to gray but later in the same episode it was jet black again. Huh?
"Creemelo"
 

I think it's the shampoo...
 

I think it is the nuclear waste!
 

I think it's the never-ending full moon!

doris
 

I think maybe it is a combination of all three. Do we have a recap this a.m.? I must not be looking in the right place.
 

I don't think the recap is up yet. We have a new recapper for Thursdays. It usually takes people a little longer for their first recap. :)
 

Thanks Julie. That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure. Happy Friday everyone!
 

So Slowfia finally knows that her mother never loved her. Duh!
It only took 35 years for her to find out.
Now will she finally move out and go the live at the Reyes hacienda with her 3 hijas?
 

Concerning PadTad's hair...I think it's the Clairol #35 Burnished Bronze Brunette.
 

Can anyone tell me what Coyote and Raquel were saying last night?
 

I figured PadTad was shooting a Touch of Gray commercial when not on camera for FELS!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder