Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tontas Tuesday Feb. 10, '09 "It Seems We Stood And Talked Like This Before.....

the smile you were smiling, you were smiling then...But I can't remember where or when..."

A great old standard and one that came to mind as both Candy and Santiago were walking down Memory Lane (well with Santiago, there was more than walking!) revisiting passions from the past and haunted by tender memories. What does this mean for our two leads with their respective medallions? Will they wind up together or be drawn back into a romantic past that didn't work the first time and is unlikely to work again? Well, heck, we've got months to find out....so relax, you guys!

I'm sure you remembered what happened Monday. If not, revisit Paula's wonderful evocation of what the Santiago/Candy kiss really meant. But just as everyone' s heart is starting to skip a beat, boom! in runs Chava, to bust them apart and put in a plug for dear old dad Patricio.

However Chava DOES listen to Santiago's heart and pronounces him "good". Nevertheless, it's a no-go. He want Patricio, Candy and himself to be a happy threesome from now on.

The scene switches to the restaurant where newly reformed Charly angrily defends his dad when he overhears Zamora and Toño disparaging his gay ways and surmising that Meño can't understand soccer. Charly head butts Zamora, kicks Toño and he and Meño challenge them to a soccer match. We'll see who's gay!

From there to a chick kidnapping. Menacing Marissa orders Paula into her big old van for a woman to woman talk. Paula is dismissive but gets into the van anyway.

Meanwhile the two on two soccer game is going on full-tilt outside the restaurant with Charly and Meño scoring goal after goal and high-fiving each other. So there Sven and Olé! Charly ends the match with a little sermonette for the waiters. From now on, don't discriminate or prejudge. "El hábito no hace al monje" (Appearances can be deceptive.)

Big doin's at the Institute also. A round table discussion, complete with tootsie pops, about Candy's next goal. Can she carry it off?...they're sure she can. It's just a question of finding the right two models to "transform".

Candy, meanwhile, is at her desk when a poetic paper airplane floats in, courtesy of Patricio. A second one arrives, with further lines from a romantic poem he wrote her at the age of 18. Uh oh, nostalgia is on the loose and while the romantic theme plays in the background, he asks her to take a walk with him. The mood is broken momentarily by Soledad, who pops her head in the door and pops back out, disheartened no doubt.

But the walk does take place (just in case there are any Patricio supporters out there). However the writers tease us by making us wait a little while they flip us back to the Marissa/Paulina catfight.

The gals are sparring with words this time. Marissa slamming Paulina for abandoning her child, Paulina slamming Marissa for getting pregnant before marriage. In addition, Paulina stoutly claims she only came for Rocio, not for Santiago, but nobody's fooled, including Marissa.

We bid our dueling babes a fond farewell and return to Patricio and Candy. He's starry-eyed and dazed. He's imagined this, longed for this....so many times before,and now it's happening. They're walking together, talking, laughing....he's the happiest man in the world. And while he knows it's complicated and there's a lot to be worked out, he would love for the three of them (he, Candy, Chava) to live together. It would be so great.

No, replies Candy. I have another life now.

Did you have to make all of us believe you were dead in order to have that life? asks Patricio sadly. Well, something to think about while we break for ads.

When we come back, the conversation is continuing. He's explaining how he came to sleep with Alicia the night before the wedding. He was drunk. His buddies had blindfolded him. But did you take the blindfold off? Well yes. So you knew but you went ahead anyway. Yes, but if you only knew how I've suffered....all these years...for that mistake.

A little more reminiscing follows, not quite so contentious, and Candy finally admits that she was Rojiblanca of the chat room. Then you know, adds Patricio softly...you know how I never stopped loving you, never stopped longing for you. You know. And you know that it's your fault that for some time I hated ALL men, snaps Candy. He looks abashed, enfolds her hands in his, and kisses them.

Will Candy be seduced by the past? Not likely. She's still pretty deeply mired in rancor and resentment.

Santiago, on the other hand, is on a slippery slope, finding it hard if not impossible to resist Paulina's enthusiastic attempts at seduction. No, he shouts and then giggles as she kisses his ear. The body is weak but no....but giggle giggle...no I really mean it...aaaahhhh,( more giggles.) You're invading my personal space he protests. But the protests are getting weaker. And the invasions more serious.

Flipping back to Patricio and Candy now. The subject of Chava comes up and how she feared that Patricio would take him away from her. How could you think that, protests Patricio. I love him. I want the best for him. The three of us together would be so great!

That's the long slow pitch. And now the fast ball.

I love you Candy. What do I do with that love?

They kiss, tender little repeated kisses, nibbling upper and lower lips, making the grand tour. Familiar ground re-explored, tenderly tasted. Oh my.

She's shaken. He's moved. She backs away. He lets her go, one tear sliding slowly down his cheek. Hubba hubba.

Santiago's making his own grand tour down Memory Lane and it's sweet indeed. Laughter and tickling. Hugs and kisses. Popcorn tosses that worked best when done mouth to mouth. Lazy, delicious lovemaking. (Have to admit I could have watched that last scene for another twenty minutes or so, but dang, they did a fade out and I was left high and dry.)

Santi knows he's in trouble as he morosely polishes his dalliance bell and asks for advice from devoted secretary Hortensia. What do you do when you really want something but you know it's wrong? he asks her. Just close your eyes and tell yourself that you mustn't fall into temptation, she answers huskily, moving closer. You mustn't fall, you mustn't fall...By this time our lovelorn assistant is plastered right onto him. He nervously slips out of her embrace leaving Hortensia high and dry also. And asks her to polish that damned bell! Adding insult to injury. Oh my.

We have a couple of scenes to show what a beatch Marissa is, just in case we haven't figured it out yet. One in which she disses Lulu, managing to imply that if she's looking bad now, she'll look fine again, once she's given birth whereas you....... Ha ha...just kidding.

Same deal in a later scene with Meño where she makes snotty remarks about his gay dance lessons ("maripositas") and suggests it would be better, since this is a serious Institute, to offer yoga lessons...those being good for the soul and whatnot.

Just in case we STILL don't get the point, the last scene she's in features a phone conversation where she's assuring someone that she'll go right back to modeling after the baby's born. And the baby? Well, that's what nannies are for! End of discussion. Okay, we get it, we get it.

Santiago, back in his office, gets an e-mail from Paulina, begging him to come to the hotel for a "talk". Will he fall into her clutches....and her bed? Again the writers tease us and make us wait while Candy negotiates with Meño to be one of her "transformation models". He's not interested but suggests that she could really do a makeover with Zamora and Toño ;and they could sure use it! Get rid of that mariachi look, for openers.

More delays. Cece leaves her lovelorn rose on Candy's desk. Candy realizes she's the one. Barbara confirms that Cece is gay and has a major crush on Candy. And our tactful heroine wants to order Cece back in to confront her. Why? challenges Barbara. Will it change your friendship for her, knowing she's gay? For once, Candy listens to compassionate advice, and decides not to bust Cece for her "hopeless fantasy".

Now....at last. Santiago is creeping along the corridor in Paulina's hotel. Of course we know this is not true love, just from the bouncy comedy music playing in the background. But...the elevator door opens. It's Paulina looking good and pouncing on our weak-fleshed Santi. Tussles and hugs. Lifted hands. Whoops, no they're back. More tussles. Stumbling to the door, fumbling with the keys, all the while kissing passionately. One hand stealthily putting a "Do not disturb No Molestar" sign on the door and it's all over but the shoutin'. But of course we break for ads. GRRRRRRR.

And when we come back, it's to a table with Gregoria, Alicia and Candy, squabbling over who gets Patricio. But Pato arrives and insists on calling the shots himself. I love Candy. I've never loved anybody else. Alicia, I can't live with you. I only want to live with Candy. Of course, our gal, ever righteous, replies...Alicia is my sister. Even though she cheated on me with you...I would never do the same. Patricio...you can see Chava anytime you want. But not me.

But I love you, replies Patricio. Gregoria tries to comfort a stricken Alicia but she shakes her off. Leave me and Patricio alone to talk, she sighs. And let's just wrap up this painful scene now. Alicia wails about how humiliating it is to see Pato with Candy. He protests that he doesn't want to hurt her but it is what it is. And furthermore, their marriage is invalid. He's still married to Candy. And wants to be. She pleads for another chance. I can make you love me! No, he counters. I loved only her, even when I thought she was dead. How much more do I love her now that I know she's alive. Let me be happy with her. I won't give you a chance if you won't give me one, warns Alicia. And off she stomps. We're left to wonder what she has up her sleeve. A car bomb perhaps? She's certainly not one I'd want to mess with. Watch out Candy!

Okay. Back to a more interesting equation. Santiago and Paulina. We're in that interesting "après l'amour" (another great song) stage and she's exultant. You were marvelous, incredible, passionate, she sighs. Noooo...I was angry! Well, great then. Angry love it is. I'm all for it. Wow. No...not wow...it's lamentable. Regrettable. He's storming out, pulling on his clothes while she lolls in bed, smiling and satisfied. Pretty sure she's got him back in her web.

You still love me, she assures him, as he heads for the door. No, Paula. You WERE the love of my life. But there's no space for you in my new life. She just smiles. (Anyone wanna take any bets here?) Next thing we know (the joy of cellphones) he's talking to someone and saying I've just slept with my ex-wife. Help!

An odd little scene interspersed here. Rocio and Chava are sitting on the house grounds, a little appalled at the dogs sniffing each other, even though Rocio delicately explains that this is how dogs get to know each other. Then a spat because Chava wants HER dad, Santiago, to stay away from HIS mom. Well allright then, if you don't want my dad around, then we're not "novios" anymore. Candy overhears all this and thinks it's cute but that they're getting ahead of themselves with all this novios nonsense. I agree. (Although I have to admit, I was engaged for the first time at age 5. It didn't last. We moved away and he was too young to write!)

Another little filler scene. Barbara and Cece are out to dinner, seriously considering breaking their chronic diets with some" tacos de pastor"(tacos with shredded pork...yum) and Barb is trying to persuade Cece to give up her pursuit of Candy. You know she's not gay, Barb reminds her. Nobody knows they're gay until it happens, rebuts Cece. (I question this statement but....) And love is love. It's never impure. (Come to think of it, I question that statement also. )
But here's the deal...we have at least three women who are determined to win another person's love, even though it's clear it's not happening. Alicia wants Patricio. Marissa wants Santiago. And Cece wants Candy. And all three are quite sure they can MAKE it happen. And all three are wrong.

Oh well. Now here's an incipient romance that looks more promising. Donato and Tina are in the kitchen, discussing her health fears and his horoscope, written by our very own Meño. (Donato's a Virgo) But in the course of the discussion, his eyes keep dropping to her chest. Well, what can he do? His eyes are tired. They just happen to fall there. Hey, that explanation works for me.

Now, back to Santiago. I thought his counselor might be Donato but this time it's fellow sex addict Eduardo who's listening to his woes. Santiago's bemoaning the sexual tension that can build when a relationship that once was good but then undergoes a separation of days, months, years and ends on bad terms.....well, you've got to say good-bye to it, but how? with that buildup of sexual tension and then "dale dale dale" (gimme gimme gimme) and then you're done for!.... "Orejas y rabo". (Ears and tail...what is given to the triumphant toreador once he's killed the bull).

So now what? Eduardo...who has never come clean with his wife...is counseling total honesty with Marissa. You have to tell her you slept with your ex-wife, he insists. Brrring. Telephone. It's Marissa. We were uh, just talking about you, answers Santi weakly. And WE need to talk. I'll come over to your apartment.

That's it. Tell her the truth...in detail, adds Eduardo. Good-bye hug between our two 'manos and off Santi goes.

Well perhaps it's appropriate to have a prayer scene here. Whatcha think? Yes, Candy and Chava are kneeling by his bed, praying for Meño, Charly, Gogo, Beto, Rocio....and Papa Patricio adds Chava. Pause. Long pause. Uh yes, Patricio, adds Candy gamely.

Final scene....and it's a doozy. Santiago's at Marissa's apartment. Something's happened, he sputters. I can't marry you. And that's it, folks.

Previews? I'd love to tell you but I can't read my notes. You'll just have to watch.

Vocabulary

lonjitas (from lonjas) = little strips, slices, used in speaking of fat on meat or fat on people
arrugas = wrinkles, lines
autóctono = indigenous
molestar = a "false friend". Doesn't mean "molest" but rather "bother" or "disturb"
desperdiciar = to waste, to miss
portero = goalkeeper , porteria = goal
Donde hubo fuego, quedan cenizas = where there was fire, ashes remain (Love could re-ignite)
al buen entendedor, pocas palabras = a word to the wise is sufficient
el hábito no hace al monje = appearances can be deceptive. (also can mean clothes don't make the man)

Labels:


Comments:
Thank you again for a very informational, yet entertaining, recap!

I had to laugh when Santiago went to Ed for advice! Ed, of all people!!!

I keep asking myself how many times and how many ways Marissa has to hear that Santiago does not want to marry her and yet she still wants to marry him. Alicia, too! Both women are poster children for the show's title! Who wants someone you have to "convince" to love you??? But then, the telenovela world would be pretty boring without all the drama, right?

Santiago, all I can say is, "Al Diablo con Los Guapos!" I could forgive you for dilly dallying with Marissa, but now Paulina??? I was cheering for you with Candy, but the fling with Paulina is more than I can overlook. You're going on the same list as Patricio--and it's not a good list!

It seems that MeÑo is the only person on this show who knows who he is, what he wants (or doesn't want) and who isn't jerking someone around because he is "confundido."

Whew! I feel better now...This show is giving me high blood pressure, but I wouldn't miss a minute of it!
 

Wow, Judy, pagaste el flaco (pulled the short straw; it's my own saying). What a depressing episode: the Candy & Pat stuff, the Santi and Pau stuff, Chava rejecting his good buddy Santiago. But you managed to find the bright spots, and cover it all warmly. You do so well at setting the mood.

And quick too! Thanks!
 

Dear Judy, who knew you were such a steamy writer? Whew!

I was a little surprised at Charly's head butt, he's a lot like his cousin in that regard I guess.

Santiago getting it on with Paulina...frankly I'm speechless. Dude, what are you thinking? And the scenes with Marissa and Paula, I felt I was watching two spawns of hell. Those ladies are creepy and I think it's hilarious the way Marissa throws her big belly around as a status symbol.

I loved your classic song references. Excellent recap amiga, so descriptive and clever, thank you!
 

May I please make a totally irrational request? Would you all humor me? Would you please call that wench "Paulina" or "Pau," both of which they use frequently on the show? Instead of "Paula" which they never use for her? If my name were "Paulina" I'd have no room to complain. But since there is no "Paula" on the show, every time I see that name here, I think you're talking about me, and it bugs me to be associated with that bruja. I know this is my quirk, and I ask you to indulge me. Thanks in advance.
 

Good morning Deb. Loved the way you worked in Al Diablo con los Guapos in your rant about Santiago. And tied in Alicia and Marissa's romantic obtuseness with the title. I was using it to symbolize Candy and Santiago's being drawn back into old romances but you're right...it fits Marissa and Alicia all too well.

Strangely enough I wasn't bothered by Santiago falling under Paulina's erotic spell once again. That IS his Achilles' Heel and she WAS the love of his life as well as the mother of his child. And sex can be a very effective way of dealing with tremendous anger...for guys anyway. (oh all right, for me too) And he is STILL very angry at the way she abandoned him and the baby, hurting them both. So Santi, I'm giving you a pass on that one.

I do hate his dalliance with Marissa because he has never loved her. It's pure sexual weakness with an overlay of financial self-interest (partnership in business etc) so for me it has no redeeming quality whatsoever.

He's betraying the best in himself everytime he's with her. With Paulina, I felt as if he was trying to exorcise some old unresolved issues...well, that's not ALL he was doing but hey...she tickled his ear, she smooched him in the elevator à la Fatal Attraction....what could a fully charged up hombre do!? I'm giving him a pass.
 

Hey Paula....I promise never never to call Pau or Paulina "Paula". And you're already making up sayings in Spanish...wow, comadre, you are way ahead of me. I'm still strugging to remember the ones I already should know.

Actually I didn't feel like I pulled the short straw. I loved all of those scenes where our protagonists remembered the good times. I'm a sucker for romance, steamy and otherwise, and I thought Santi's memories of Paulina were delightful. Made me like her a teeny weeny little bit because clearly there was a time where she was charming and loving (and frisky) and they made each other happy. So hey! for me, it was a long straw.

Same thing for Patricio and his poetic paper airplanes and his well-placed tender kisses...I'm taking notes like mad but I'm smiling, babe, I'm smiling. Bring it on!
 

Sylvia...I have to admit I wondered if you would know that song. You're a different generation. I adore Dick Haymes' version of it but I'm sure no one under the age of 60 would know his work. Still, maybe Tony Bennett and some others have recorded it as well. Poor Tony, he sings off-key now. Did a duet with K. D Lang that was downright painful, but I digress.

Good call on Marissa flinging her big belly around like a status symbol. I think we should call her Big Mar or something like that from now on. She's having a Mafia type pregnancy for sure.

I rather enjoyed Charly's head butt. After all, he was defending his dad. And he's young and impulsive so I'm giving him a pass as well.

Clearly I'm too easy on the guys in this one! Uh oh.
 

Judy: a beautiful recep of a sad episode of unrequited love and forbidden love.

I loved your comments about Patricio and Candy: "Did you have to make all of us believe you were dead in order to have that life? asks Patricio sadly." So true! After they kiss: "She's shaken. He's moved. She backs away. He lets her go, one tear sliding slowly down his cheek." Sigh.

Loved the vocabulary. I took your advice and ordered the Streetwise Spanish Guide and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I'm sure I'm the only one but I'm king of rooting for Patricio. He's made terrible mistakes but he does love Candy and Chava and he really did suffer thinking Candy was dead. I think after last night, Santiago isn't on much higher moral ground himself.

As usual, the comments are great too. Really enjoyed Deb's: "It seems that MeÑo is the only person on this show who knows who he is, what he wants (or doesn't want) and who isn't jerking someone around because he is "confundido." Very true.

Capn's Sylvia: Agree with your observation: "Those ladies are creepy and I think it's hilarious the way Marissa throws her big belly around as a status symbol." :)

Has anyone else been having trouble posting comments? I've had difficulty with the links.

Diana in MA
 

Sometimes my comments get erased instead of being posted. Something about a "duplicate error" or some such thing which I don't understand. But I've noticed that there have been fewer comments lately (except for FELS which is red-hot smokin' at the moment) so I don't know if this is affecting other people.

Hope you're recovering well from the surgery Diana and that you like the book when it comes. I really enjoy the format and the way the chapters and subjects are arranged.

I'm also reading a book by Dayanna Torres (who was married to Marc Anthony at one time) about how to recover from a divorce. Useful phraseology for emotional discussions....and not a man-bashing book at all. Far from it. Anyway, if your local library carries any Spanish books, maybe they could order it. Not worth the price I paid for it through a Book Club (can't believe I fell for that ripoff again) but still....I'm enjoying it. She'd fit right in at Candy's Institute!
 

Paula, Juan Querendon's "harpie on jet fuel" must have been hell for you, right? ;-)
 

Not sure Paula was watching the 7 pm show then, Mike. I think she came on board for this one because she's a Jaime Camil fan.

I DO love the nickname "Pau", so maybe when this is over, and the memories have faded, Paula will let us call her that. Whaddya think?

Hi to you and Emilia. Any predictions for who's going to end up with whom?
 

I never watched Juan Q, but I often heard folks on other boards refer to her. That never bothered me because it was her name. With Tontas, since there is no Paula, it feels linked to me somehow. Maybe I have some Miss Centro de Universo tendencies too!
 

Judy, well, I'd say:

Jaime & Isabella
Donato & Tina

Beyond that...

Santiago and Patricio have zipper problems but are so good with the kids that I hope they get their stuff together. Neither of them deserve a narcissist like Candy and I hope they realize that and soon. I also hope that young Chava turns out OK.

Eduardo is a loathsome troll who will end up being the guy at the end of the bar hunched over a glass of cheap gin who wants to tell you his life story.

Marissa? Paulina? Oil 'em down and let them figure it out in the Jello pit.

Alicia has never loved Patricio, only the idea of topping Candy and, of course, the fact that he comes from money doesn't hurt.

Deb's comment re Meño is spot on.

Mi esposa is healing nicely and doing well with the physical therapy. Next week they're going to work on restoring her swing of the 10" skillet without twisting the bad ankle.

Sadly, she may not regain the ability to use the 13" chicken fryer, for which my dented cabeza is grateful.
 

No worries Paula, I don't blame you for cringing when we call that harpy by your rightful name. I like Pau because in Hawaiian it means "finished", "done with", "over", etc., which is what I hope she will be when all is said and done.

Mike, have you been practicing your wind sprints? When Emilia's ankle is better you might need the speed! BTW I love your predictions for some of the characters, especially Pat. Don't forget the big "L" painted on his forehead.

I've also had a bit of trouble posting. I tried to post several times yesterday but kept getting an error message. I've noticed when I try to post from my laptop I don't always get through.

I also liked last night's episode, I found it very interesting and kind of sweetly sad.

I have a little story about Tony Bennett. When I was in Junior College he happened to be at a waning point in his career. One day the music department filed all the music students (I think was taking jazz history or something like that) into the huge auditorium that is used for professional concerts in our community. After we all got seated out walked Tony Bennett who proceeded to give us a free impromptu concert and a brief tutorial on jazz performance. He was awesome and it was very interesting. We snotty young adults were blown away. Apparently instead of doing the downward spiral he decided to use his time going around to schools and giving free performances. I was so impressed I'll never forget it.
 

Wow Mike...I'm going to be laughing about your comments all day...especially the one concerning Marissa and Paulina. What a picture!

The computer troubles explain why there were so few comments yesterday. We always hear from Diana unless she's out from work, so I immediately worried that she'd had some surgical complication again. (must get these mothering genes to calm down!)

Sometimes the blog site gets weird too, and you can't post right away. Scary.

Aha, Sylvia...you took jazz history! Interesting. And great story about Tony. I'll forgive him now for singing off-key. I think as men get older the hearing fades more than women's ('cause they haven't used it as much...Just kidding).

Other than some pathetic piano lessons as a sprout, and some fun voice lessons one summer at Indiana University music school, I haven't done much with music other than love it and dance to it.
 

Paula Paula Paula...you're right, you be you and Paulina be Paulina.

And actually, even though the Juan Querendon Paula was a b**ch on wheels, she was also drop-dead gorgeous and got our hero in the end (in spite of our frequent protests).

This Paulina is definitely one of the bad guys, so off to the jello pit with her!
 

Thank you Judy, I always enjoy your recaps!
What is it with these guys? Candy is the love of their lives but they can't stop chasing other women?
Should Candy or any of the women assume that if they end up with the men they love they will be sharing them in the future with whoever tempts them?
Still rooting for Candy and Santi anyway (being a sucker for Camil!).
I'm wondering if Pau has some other plan in mind? The writers wouldn't pull another baby into this mess, would they?
Carrie L.
 

Boy, Carrie L. Your guess is as good as mine. Are you thinking Paul wants to have another baby with Jaime so she can hook him back (and then possibly take off again?)

Who knows? These writers can dream up some really convoluted stuff so anything's a possibility, I guess.

According to TELENOVELA RULES, once you are married to the "love of your life" (and let us never forget that "el corazon no se mande")...alright, whatever... once you're actually wed to your Big Bad Love that's it. Total character change. Faithful for life. Madly in luuuuurve. Bells and whistles till you meet your Maker.

Unless of course you're a worm like Eduardo. But I'm holding out hope for him. I'm figuring some crisis will turn him around. The other possibility is that Chayo will find another love, kick him to the curb (as so many have suggested) and he'll be a "sadder but wiser" guy. That's what happened to a cranky gal in Juan Querendon. I kept thinking she'd work it out with her husband, and father of her child, but instead he ended up with a gal who treated him much better and Yadhira ended up with a much needed morality lesson.

Never forget...this is Sunday School with sex!
 

Wow, Judy, loved your last comment, "this is Sunday School with sex"!. That would be a good title for a post, or maybe for this show in general. I really enjoyed your recap, especially the way you recreated the seduction of Santi by Paulina. I can also see why he caved in. For one thing, he's not really in love with Marissa. And it seems less and less likely that things will work out with Candy. And of course Paulina was very frisky! But I also think the writers are showing us that absolutely everyone on this show has a flaw. Even Meño lied to his son for a while.

I also like the song Where or When, although I never heard it with the original singer. In the 70's, before I was married, my girlfriend at the time played piano, and we wanted to sing a piece together. She pulled out the music to that song, and we sang it together. It was very romantic, but as fate would have it, we broke up a month or two later.

Also, to add to the list of ladies who think they'll get the guy to change and love them, besides Alicia, Paulina and Marissa, there's also Lulu, who hasn't given up on Meño.
 

Yep...posting problems for sure. Just tried to answer Hombre's comment and got "erased". But you're completely right! Lulu is a perfect example of a stubborn woman ready to "luchar por su amor" without a snowball's chance in H*ll of making it.

Delighted you know and like Where or When. I think Bing Crosby actually sang it for the first time in the show/movie Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Dick Haymes (long dead from alcoholism) has a wonderful album (perfect for romantic evenings by the fire or whatever) that is all standards and all wonderful IMO. It Might As Well Be Spring, Moonlight Becomes You, Stormy Weather, It Never Entered My Mind etc. All songs I love and done in a very thoughtful way with beautiful orchestration. In my younger days, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and Dick Haymes were all my musical soulmates.

Michael Bublé does some nice recreations of standards now as does Bobby Caldwell.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

The Santiago and Paulina meeting. I can't hate him for that one.
A. He tried to resist. He really tried.
B. He begged Candy for support, but Chava put kibosh on that. He knew he was vulnerable and he looked for tools to strengthen his resistance. Aside from the Chava interruption, Candy didn't really do much to support him, even though he begged her for help.
C. Pau had been love of his life, and he has a definite weakness for her.
D. When he allowed himself to remember the good times with her, that further weakened his defenses
E. I'm sure there is a psychological factor. When she rejected him, it devastated him. Now if she desires him, there is a temptation to believe that it will cancel out the earlier rejection and the past won't hurt anymore.
F. She was so aggressive, it was almost an assault. Not physical force, but almost emotional force.
G. He feels AWFUL about it afterwards. He hates her for it, and he hates himself.

Allow me a LFMB moment. The parallel is very strong. Remember the date at Maisson, outside on the sidewalk (after the letter, before the board meeting)? DonF said, "I'm DYING to kiss you." Lety surrendered to his kiss and was so moved, she almost surrendered to his pleas to spend the night with him. Despite how he had destroyed her. In her diary she said that, had she given in, she would never have forgiven herself. Well, in Pau's hotel room, Santiago took the other path, and he hates himself for it.

* Santi was a bum for hooking up with Marissa for sport and convenience.
* He was a bum for not breaking up with her when he fell for Candy.
* He was a complete bum for joining Pat for a strip poker night with some hotties when he was very much in love with Candy.

But when he fell, with Paulina, he fell because of human frailty, not because he was a bum.
 

Great analysis Paula, and I totally agree. There is always the temptation to wring out a "happy ending" somehow, some way from a love affair or marriage that ended badly. And Paulina made it VERY hard for anyone with even one hormone left in his body to resist.

Of course, during that Fea scene, I was pleading with Lety...give in! give in! he really loves you. But then things would have ended too soon. But wow, for me that was the kiss to end all kisses.
 

Fabulous recap JudyB ;) Especially loved the asides and the segways. Quick thing, “lonjas” and “lonjitas” refers to excess bits of fat on people (and you’re probably right on it coming from strips of meat). Marissa was basically calling Lulu fat.

I have to agree that, had it been Candy instead of Mari that was carrying Santi’s kid and was engaged to him, he might have been more successful keeping his pants on. There is also the issue of closure. Clearly the “dear John” letter didn’t cut it for him and this encounter allowed him to close the book on his relationship with Pau (or so he thinks). As for her intentions, I’m not really sure. I find it unlikely she’d go through another pregnancy or try to have another child when she clearly cares so little for the first one. My guess? She just couldn’t stand that Santi and Rocio could be happy with someone else instead of pining for her. Once she’s succeeded in getting Mari out of the picture, she will probably hop on her broom back to NY and forget all about them again.
 

Umm... Judy? If I'd been drinking something, it would have sprayed all over the monitor when I read, "Never forget...this is Sunday School with sex!"
 

Why is a great guy like Santiago so sexually irresponsible? If my spouse left me with a little baby and vanished for years, I wouldn't get my revenge through sex(and certainly not with her),I would marry a fantastic person just to show her.There nothing like been replaced with a better specimen to get the jealousy juices flowing.Please don't get me started on Eduardo. Dose he have a conscience? The wife is an angel for putting up with all that nonsense.
 

The device in which the rejected one is obsessed with the lead, and can't let go. Isn't that as common in novelas as "No puede ser" and getting pregnant the first time one has sex? We have Marissa and Alicia, and potential for Patricio and Paulina.

The strange thing is, when it's the rejected one, and he/she keeps pursuing and pursuing, undeterred, ever hopeful, we call it a psychotic obsession. But when the hero exhibits the same behavior with the heroine, who keeps rejecting him, we call it the persistance of true love.
 

Thanks for that clarification on "lonjas" and lonjitas" Margarita. I'll add that to the vocabulary part. You are an invaluable resource!

Yes, I don't truly think Paula is back for another pregnancy...just marking her territory I guess. Pumping up the ego by trying to hook Santiago in again.
* * *

Anonymous 2:12. Yes, Eduardo is the one whom we all condemn. And it's baffling since when he talks about his wife, he seems genuinely fond of her. But I guess "fond of" her in the same way one is fond of one's favorite lounge chair or cozy slippers. I'm sure we'll have some drama along the way to shake up that sad situation.

And Mike...glad you didn't spew anything on the keys. Those keyboards are the devil to clean and Emilia would have whacked you with the 10 inch skillet for sure!
 

hah! Paula...just shows you life isn't fair. When you get to be the hero, your actions are always given the best possible interpretation.
 

A baby for Pau? I don't know Judy, could be. She had no problem leaving the first one. She had a sly look on her face. Maybe she just wants to one-up Marissa?
Perhaps she just wanted to tell Marissa that she and Santi got together. Not that it would damper Marissa's quest to be Mrs. Santi but would hurt her.
I still can't get over the "love-sick for Candy" Pat and Santi who were oh so willing to have fun with the card ladies.
All I could shout was "WHAT????"

Carrie L.
 

Why did Paulina come back? Obviously related to Santi's upcoming marriage & baby. But what is Paulina's angle?

I think it's like the 2-year-old who has no interest in the teddy bear until someone else is holding it, then suddenly he wants it more than anything else in the world.

And maybe what others have referred to. Maybe she enjoyed the sense of power and superiority over Santiago because she had broken his heart and crushed him. She's just evil enough for that to be so. So if he's getting married, that means he's not pining for her anymore, and she wants to prove that she is superior to any other woman aiming for him. She wants to keep him on her list of conquests.
 

Carrie L. I agree that the whole strip-poker night for the boys was "out of character". Eduardo, maybe, but not for Santi and Patricio (or is this how they deal with the stress of a difficult romance?)

Mostly I didn't think too much about the scene except to be annoyed. It was supposed to be "cute" and funny. Hah, hah, the girls putting one over on the boys once more but I just thought it was stupid.

Still humor (like musical taste) is very individual. And from what I've seen of Mexican humor programs, that is not my style at all. So maybe this scene was a big hit south of the border. I just found it a big yawn.
 

I think "This is Sunday school with sex" belongs at the top of the Caray Caray page.
 

Apparantly no Tontas tonight. Preempted for soccer. Que lastima! Looks like a good episode.

Julie, I've passed your suggestion to the blog mom. I think you're right. That comment should be a permanent fixture here.
 

Thanks for the recap Judy. I agree with Julia and Paula, your Sunday school comment needs to be one of the classic quotes that welcomes readers to our blog.

I'm sad Santi slept with Pauline but I do understand. But the writers really need to stop making most of the men in novela look like they have no concept of fidelity. I thought the one true love thing was like garlic and warded of advances from hussies.
 

Hmmm, Karen......"one true love is like garlic and wards off all hussies"...that's a quotable quote in itself! Not sure we should call an ex-wife, mother of beloved Rocio a hussy...I mean, she IS, but I imagine it's hard for Santi to think of her this way. On the other hand, he wasn't really "thinking" was he?

Frankly, I'm wondering if the soccer game is going to come off. It's actually taking place right here in ye olde Columbus Ohio and the weather is gawdawful. High winds, thunder, heavy downpour. Our usual, hand-me-the-Zoloft central Ohio weather. We endure it for football but that, at least, is played in the daytime.
 

NO Tontas on my TV last night. I have it set to record at 7 and nothing.
Did the soccer game go on as planned?

Carrie L.
 

Yes, Carrie L., believe it or not they played. In gale force winds and driving rain (previous to the game) plus bitter cold. They covered the ground with a tarp. And things got hot anyway, One of our players was really working the crowd and of the Mexican team administrators afterwards slapped him in the face. Hot tempers! Well Mexico lost again 2 to 0 so that may have exacerbated the bad feelings.

I realized Tuesday that the previews were for "Jueves" but anyway, my VCR records automatically anyway, so I've got some soccer on tape but can't say I really care. We're on for tonight though!
 

Football hooliganism in Columbus, OH!?! No puede ser!!

I remember quite a few motorway service areas in England that banned buses carrying soccer fans.

Gotta keep them churlish louts at bay, don't we?
 

Soccer does seem to bring out primitive passions, both in the audience and the players. (I still remember that French player's flagrant head butt in the big/every four years/whatever played in Germany. (too bad I can't remember HIS name or the name of the event...oh well). Of course the Dog Pound of the Cleveland Browns gets pretty wild too. Maybe it's OHIO!
 

Judy, was it Mundial? Was it the one where Fern & Lety met Eugenio Derbez? Or am I all wet?

Paula
 

Yes Paula...that sounds right. Is it Mundial de Oro? I kept thinking "gold" was in there but don't know. And yes, part of Fea was filmed there during all the festivities.

The French player was very well-known, from Marseilles, French/Algerian, grew up in a very tough neighborhood (duh)...see, I can remember everything about him except his friggin' name!
 

Howdy =)

"El Mundial" = the World Cup. It is an international soccer tournament that's played every four years and different countries take turns hosting it, kinda like the Olympics. The prize is a golden cup, aka "la copa de oro."
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder