Friday, April 10, 2009

Las Tontas Thurs 4/9 - You can't keep a man at arm's length while tangled in a Tango

From last night: After their romantic dinner Candy grabs the soccer ball and demonstrates what she like about soccer games. this gives Jaime Camil an opportunity to show off his prowess at physical humor, including yelling GOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!! In Guadalajara Pat asks Gregoria what she thinks about his situation with Candy. Man oh man does she tell him. She says Chava loves him but Candy no. In fact she's in love with another, but she'll do anything for Chava including living with Pat whom she doesn't love. Furthermore she's bothered because Pat is using Chava to get Candy. What? He doesn't like what she has to say? Well then he shouldn't ask questions to which he won't like the answers!

Tonight: Back in the DF Santi and Candy discuss penalty kicks which she uses as a metaphor for the penalties in her own life. She doesn't like to miss when kicking a penalty and she doesn't want to miss a goal by moving in with him. Santi has a plan, she should just kick and see what happens. Well she does, he doesn't try to block the ball so she scores a goal.

Now it's Santi's turn. He kicks and Candy runs away from the ball. See, he says, we scored two goals in our life. I guffawed at this, like how stupid, really. But upon further reflection I think maybe Santi is saying that sometimes people have to step out of their own way in order to enjoy life.

Meño tells Greg his mom always said "liar, a thousand times a liar" (Mentirosa, mil veces mentirosa - this comes from a famous song sung by Alberto Beltran). He reveals that he checked with Alicia and he knows Greg is lying. She's truly bothered by his comments and her situation and ends up crying on his shoulder.

Candy and Barb write their column about violence within the family, some abuse is physical and some is psychological. Candy wonders which is worse. Barb the expert says both.

Candy's phone rings and it's Pato, he wants to see her tonight but she refuses. She adds however that she heard he was helping Alicia adopt which she thinks is very noble of him. Not enough for her to see him I guess.

She asks Barb how should she ask Pat to leave HER house. Barb is pragmatic, tell him "leave my house." Then Candy reveals to an amazed Barb that she and Pat haven't been doing "it", she sleeps in her room and he elsewhere.

Greg shows Meño a letter that Art gave to her. In it he says he's a gentleman and he's sorry if he offended her, blah blah blah, it's been a long time since he's felt anything, Attentively Arturo. She tells Meño she's stupid and should have stayed at the restaurant, but adds (again) she's afraid and God says it's wrong to be with a separated man. Meño shares his philosophy, the greatest sin in God's eyes is not to love. Greg ponders his words. (Could I possibly love this dear man more? I don't think so.)

Barb and Candy discuss examples of psychological abuse. Meanwhile Pato recalls Greg's harsh words, hugs Candy's picture and squeezes out a single tear.

Charly's mom calls to tell him that her neighbor, the one he thought infected her with HIV, took a test that came out negative. Charly is impactado and rushes off to see the infectologist (infectólogo).

Santi shows up at the House of Miracles listening to tango music on an I-Pod. He snatches Candy away from the other Miracle workers and sweeps her around the room doing his version of the Tango. This is funny because he sticks one of his ear buds in her ear and dances while at the same time trying not to tangle her in his tango. "Check it out!" he brags to the miracle workers. Candy is delighted and asks why the Tango? Turns out he woke up and realized his life is too quotidian, he does the same boring thing everyday so today he'll Tango. Actually he said a lot more but I think we get the idea. Next up, the Waltz!

Lulu and Candy (her bosom at Ole's eye level) thank Ole for agreeing to help them, as if he would say no to Candy's two pals. They hush up when Sven arrives and Ole covers by saying they were discussing onions. When Ole asks Sven about his date with Soledad Sven puns, it was "con la soledad" (with loneliness). He leaves out the part about him being a scared putz. Sven concludes that he has about as much luck with women as Ole has. Something tells me Ole might score first in the mujer department.

Over at the surgery Santi and Carlos talk about Horty. Carlos is interested but he thinks Horty doesn't like him. As they walk toward his office, Horty in the office, hears them coming and hides under his desk (Why?), scuttling ass-backwards into the kneewell. Unfortunately the kneewell is open and they see her hiding, duh.

Santi and Calros torment Horty by telling tales about her, she's the queen of all the departments, she's gorgeous, (maciza = solid, estar maciza = to be gorgeous, hunky) she goes out with a million guys and all of Santi's friends, he's taken her to the apartment, etc. until finally she jumps out and is mortified that they were making jokes at her expense. Santi tells Horti that Carlos is a good guy. She stomps off in a huff and he tells Carlos that Horti is a marvelous woman. Carlos flexes his biceps and rings the sex bell which causes Santi and Horty to react. Carlos, not in on the joke, is confused.

The Miracle workers are doing their radio show while the Abandonados watch and mock. The first call is from divorcee Carmen who reluctantly says she's in love with a married man. Carmen goes on and on about how difficult it is to love a married man, how bad and neglected she feels. Gregoria, listening at home, frets. Meanwhile Lalo squirms while the Abandonados try to calm him. The Miracle workers ask, what is a woman looking for when she begins a relationship with a married man? Soledad's face falls when Candy pipes up that the lovers always expect the man to leave his wife but it almost never happens.

Pat pays a surprise visit to Alicia. Tonight she's wearing a sexy black dress with a snakeskin "pageant sash" accent. He says he'll help her and no thank you he doesn't want to have dinner with her. "Hey, I invited you to eat, not to go to bed with me," says the viper to the chipmunk.

The Miracle workers leave the radio booth while the abandoned ones heckle them. All except Santi who nervously walks by and flirts with Candy.

Now the abandoned ones are in the radio booth complete with snacks and smirks while the miracle workers watch. Santi begins and his first words are for Candy, "I love you". The abandonados freak, meanwhile Pato at home nearly falls off his chair. Candy blurts into the microphone she loves him too...but she likes more man and less macho.

Meño's phone rings and he answers with a flourish, it's King Arthur for Gregoria. After Greg refuses to take the call he says "My sister in law tells me she's not here!"

The abandonados prattle on about the problems with women, for example they prattle too much. (I think something was bleeped out here but I'm not sure.) Sven collects all the mikes and blabs on about something.

The ladies decide it's time for Candy's sabotage. Santi gets a phone call, hooray a participant in this masculine conversation. It's Ole holding his nose to disguise his voice, do they have advice on how to cure hemorrhoids? Santi tells him the program is for discussing important problems, not medical issues. Ole insists on inquring about hemorrhoid cures, isn't Santi a doctor? Santi says yes but he's a plastic surgeon and has nothing to do with hemorrhoids. What does Plastic Surgery have to do with giving love advice, asks Ole, and doesn't the whole world have hemorrhoids? "Si Senor!!" Oops, Sven recognizes his friend's signature phrase and Santi knows he's been tricked. The piranhas laugh and wave triumphantly at the abandonados.

Pat wanders his house in a desultory fashion. He stares at pics of Candy and Chava.

The abandonados leave the booth and are forced to walk the receiving line of shame. This time the girls get to heckle the boys. Sven in particular is miffed because Candy turned his friend into a puppet, a clown, a speaker of hemorrhoids!

Santi grabs Candy for a "private" conversation in the radio booth while the peanut gallery watches and cheers. He invites her to his family fiesta then, for the benefit of the audience, they pretend to spar.

Pato is waiting for Candy, he tells her he heard Santi on the radio. She asks did he hear her response? No, he turned the radio off, was it something bad? She wants to talk it over but he says not tonight. "You're running away," she tells him. His answer is awesome, "You've run away many times when I've wanted to talk to you, so once in a lifetime isn't so bad." Just when I think the guy's a big loser he comes out with an astute statement like that.

Next morning, Lucia gets a call from Charly. Rocio eavesdrops and lovingly mocks her big sis. Lucia tells Rocio she's not sick, it was a mistake so they don't need to cry anymore.

The half bros play soccer while Pato recalls Santi's words from the night before "I love you Candy my friend", then Candy's words that she needs to talk to Pato. Pato feels the anvil hanging over his head.

Ceci advises Candi not to feel bad about Pato, real life isn't like the movies where love always has a happy ending. Candy asks has Ceci ever been in love?(Candy, how quickly you forget.) Ceci PSAs that homosexuals are very discriminated against in Mexico. She is happy to be kept busy with her work and her pals the Institutas. Sounds like Ceci is due for romance.

Horty grumpily interrupts them with something from Dr. Plastico. It's a big poster invitation "tonight a family party". Ceci jokingly reminds Candy she's in a war against Dr. Plastico and his gang.

Santi tells Isa there won't be a wedding, he's going to tell Marissa soon and at the right time, for example when he's in Japan and she's in Mexico he'll text her ha ha. Isa's pretty happy at this news and they discuss tonight's Family party with Agua Minerale. I'm thinking if Santi doesn't tell Marissa she might show up and spoil they party. What am I saying? She'd show up anyway to spoil the party.

Charly tells his infectologist that the neighbor tested negative. Doctor says Charly obviously got infected by someone else and he insists that Charly tell him everything. Charly remembers he boinked some crazy skanky ho at a party and he was stupid enough not to use protection. Dr. tells Charly the good news is he can tell Lucia that she's in no danger of contracting HIV from him but Charly cries that Lucia will dump him because he betrayed her.

Mañana - The party is in full swing. Santi and Candy comment that neither Marissa nor Patricio are anywhere in sight. It looks like Mariloca is outside and pissed off. (Heh, what did I say?) Patricio crashes the party.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the recap, Sylvia. I'm right with you, cheering Pat for standing up to Candy. He's pretty good at giving her what she deserves. Santi should take lessons.

Santi is winning ground in giant leaps. The tango charms her, but when he tells her, "I'm going to bring you surprises every day," did you catch her smile? The smile that says, "I'm in love. Oh no, what do I do now?" Yeah, he's on a winning streak.

Speaking of expressions, when Pat heard Santi's "Te quiero," Pat gave the perfect portrayal of, "I'm going to retch."
 

Paula, you commented so quickly, I barely posted the recap! I missed the part where he said he was going to bring Candy surprises every day. I'll have to rewatch that bit.

There was something that baffled me, in the last scene with Isa and Santi the scene started with her asking him about the wedding, were they going to throw rice. (She said the english word "rice", not arroz.) Santi responded with a wisecrack that completely eluded me. Did you hear it? Did you understand what he was saing? For the life of me I couldn't figure it out.
 

Loved the tango. Candy, stick to acting. I forgot to mention, Camil will have a supporting role in an English language movie about tango lengend Carlos Guardel, Dare to Love Me. Filming starts next month. We'll finally get to see him dance!

Sylvia, I'll check what Isa says. Another excuse!

The surprises part:
"I realized every day is the same. Every day I get up [and give myself a lesson in reflexive verbs]. Except one thing. Thinking about you. So I need to surprise you more. Every day."
 

Loved your title, Sylvia. I listened to that part between Santiago and Isabel. It "beat my lips" too. Per the cc's, Santi contrasts Rice to Flais, but what's Flais? Then he says something about the 'palabra,' but stops himself mid-word. Then he says he'll wait for the perfect time to tell Marissa, like when she comes in with her head split open, hit by a bottle or a big stick. Then the Japan line you quoted.

I am pretty sure that he's improvising a lot of this. You can see it in her reaction. Those two have so much fun together. Camil has said that he improvises a lot in novelas, but when those two are together they really run with it.
 

Funny, I thought of you when I wrote that title because you're always ripping on Candy (and deservedly so) for constantly running to and then away from love.

I'm sure you're right about Camil improvising because he talks so darn fast! I have a terrible time understanding him which is too bad because I'm sure he's very clever. Oh well, I'll just have to be satisfied with enjoying his physical humor. Ahem, no complaints about that at all. I cannot wait to see him in Dare to Love Me; what a treat!
 

Sylvia...fabulous title. Wish I had time to read your recap but we're heading out at the crack of dawn for Charlotte.

Lately Santiago has been talking even faster than usual....makes Fernanda's "chipmunk speak" in MEPS seem catatonic in comparison. No way to get it all down. Oh well....Look forward to savoring your recap when I get back! Happy Easter everyone.
 

Sylvia: Excellent job. I particularly enjoy your calling out the characters for particularly insensitve actions such as when Candy "heard he (Pat) was helping Alicia adopt which she thinks is very noble of him. Not enough for her to see him I guess."

I'm sad it now appears Pat won't be living with either of his sons. I was surprised to see Greg agrees with others who've posted here that Pat was using Chava to get to Candy. I respectfully disagree. Although he has many faults, I don't feel he's ever done anything but love and cherish both Chavo and Beto. His joy at being with them is apparant every time they are together. While he may or may not end up being the best husband, he is a terrific father.

Candy's complete aboutface with Pat's been just too much. I'm with you Sylvia and Paula for Pat telling Candy that for once, things wouldn't be done in her time, in her way.

Are we really supposed to be rooting for Arturo and Greg? She deserves so much better.

Sylvia, I love Meño too! There's no one more supportive, loving or caring.

Diana in MA
 

It's an odd coincidence, but yesterday in the paper there were four articles in the Caliente section about the resurgent popularity of tango.

Click the link at my name for the background feature, including Carlos Gardel.

Apparently, there is a new form of tango for the ordinary jose and juana -- more casual than it's developed into in ballroom competition.

Other articles are at:

http://www.aznightbuzz.com/stories/287778

http://www.aznightbuzz.com/stories/287789

http://www.aznightbuzz.com/stories/287783
 

Thank you so much Sylvia for the speedy recap!
I loved the tango scene but then I love anything with Santi dancing or singing!
I don't love Art and Greg together. He is creepy and I think she deserves so much better. She and Meno are very sweet together but I suppose that match is out.
Now we know Luc is safe. Poor Charly, I'm hoping for a speedy telenovela miracle cure.
I agree Pat is a great father. I do feel sorry for him.
Maybe he will figure out Candy's flip and flop way of operating and back away to get her to come after him. I definitely see her backing away from Santi if he makes a serious move. I think Santi is closer to having her figured out than Pat is.
Have a great holiday weekend everyone!
I'm getting over dental surgery so all I'm hoping for Easter is to ditch the jello and yogurt and get to eat some "real" food!!!!

Carrie L.
 

Jeri, thank you for the Tango links! I have been spent the last hour following them down the rabbit hole. Two of the bands in particular, Tanghetto and Bandofondo, have great sounds. What wonderful music!

Diana, I am so glad you can post again. When I read your thoughtful comments I realize how much we missed you. I think it's interesting how the group (we the commenters) are divided on our feelings for Patricio. I can't argue that he's an enthusiastic and devoted father, but I continue to think his methods for wooing Candy are odd and suspect (kidnapping, handscuffs, showing up at the door with suitcase), but hey it's a telenovela so the story kind of makes its own rules. Anyway, back to my point, I think the fact that we are divided on him speaks volumes about how well the character is written and how well the actor is doing with the role. He's a pretty complex character. The characterization in general in this TN is top notch.

I agree with Diana and Carrie about Arturo. Gregoria honey, you could do better.

Carrie, I hope you can eat something for Easter. Good luck.
 

Thanks, Sylvia, I really enjoyed your recap, especially "said the viper to the chipmunk".

As many of us have remarked, on this show almost no one is totally good or bad (except maybe Marissa). For example, I'm very sympathetic to Alicia at this point, even though she did terrible things in the past, and she's even doing this baby swap scheme. But somehow, she just doesn't seem so bad (maybe I'm being swayed by her super hotness!).

Even Charly and Lucia have good and bad sides (completely excusable, 'cause they're teenagers). Arturo certainly has been bad, but he's acting somewhat nicer now. Even Margarita said she's still attracted to him.

The writers toy with us. I was so team Santiago, but now that Pat is fading, I'm feeling sorry for him, and want something good to happen with him.

It's great that we have so many distinctive personalities on this show. Remember way back when some of us couldn't tell the difference between Soledad, Barbara and Chayo (they all have that dark, straight hair). Well now that we know them, each one is unique.
 

Great recap Sylvia. I've pulled for Pato from the beginning, I do think (knowingly or not) he is using Chava as a weapon in his quest for Candy. I'm also growing a little weary of his childish playfulness with the boys and at times even immature petulance). Grow up, Pato! Actually an admonition that applies to most of the adults in this show. Carlos
 

Gee, I sounded like a grumpy old man earlier. I mean that Pato at least some of the time should comport himself like a grown man when he's with the boys. To me he seems too much like Peewee Herman or Soupy Sales. The boys do need for their father to be an adult male role model. Carlos
 

Carlos, Grumpy old man? No, I think you sounded like a grownup. :-)
Santi's winning lately, time for Pato to mount a counter attack.
JeffMN
 

Thanks, Jeff. Carlos
 

I'm hoping that Pat finds himself someone who isn't related to Candy. I loved the tango dance Santi did with Candy that was hilarious. I'm really hoping this novela comes out on DVD. crossing fingers now.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder