Monday, June 29, 2009

Mon., June 29: Don't bring your honey where you make your money!

Buenas noches a todos.

Maury has put his money where his mouth is and adopted some kids from the broken-down orphanage. The one kid, Aldo, is really violent and should probably be placed in an alternative-care facility in sunny Spain. It would be more of a spa vacation than anything, what with the tennis courts, swimming pools, and soccer tournaments. No way! I adopted the little hoodlum and he’s gonna be my kid no matter how many times he beats up on everyone else, says Maury to his scheming girlfriend.

Well, all this violence and adoption has gotten Maury thinking about biological fathers with vengeances and depleted bank accounts—to the point where he no longer is a reliable business opeartor: he wears sweats and his office worker wears a towel on non-casual days, what more can I say? Sal promised Maury’s late father that he would always protect him, or was it the family fortune? The point is, Sal doesn’t want Maury racin’ no cars, and he better not let Wayne Newton (the new fake dad) into his life.

So the whole office staff is in on some secret operative mission for Maury to meet Wayne. Looks like they found some voice recorder and they strung it through Maury’s clothes. If the deal goes bad Val will be there to give our dyed-hair friend a one-two to the old kisser. In a painfully, overly-animated performance we discover that, with some small economic assistance, Wayne will disappear from his children’s and Maury’s lives forever, or until he spends it all and decides to blackmail him again. Poor Maury lets everyone walk all over him, and really, what’s an extra $100,000. But it’s not a business transaction, it’s about the kids. Oh, and you better not take advantage of me, sir.

Maury doesn’t really know if he should tell his kids about their father, but eventually decides that not telling them will add to the dramatic effect of the show months in advance. Towell girl (Val, who can only afford portions of whole outfits) can’t believe that someone would use his family for money—obviously her boyfriend has trained her well.

Jerry’s crackpot sister Jimena comes to visit the new twin children, but she’s worried about her brother beating her, so she needs more alcohol. Then Jerry arrives to beat up on his sister and explain Spanish portmanteaus. Putting on my Aunt Judy cap: taratúpida = tarada + estúpida = really, really stupid girl. She threatens to tell about Jerry hiring Wayne Newton as an imposter to collect the money for Jerry and Associates. Don’t make me guess things because it took me three hours last time to figure out you wanted to kill me, says stupid sister.

Jerry effectively hits on all three adopted children: Do you work out? Aren’t you a pretty one? Goo gah goo gah. Does this man feel ok?, asks the six year old. I can tell that everyone is going to be fast friends.

So Val is leavin’ the skimpy dress for the sweats. Cue the video montage: Theme song accompanies Val practicing her boxing moves and Maury in his racecar talking to a guy. Rrrandommm!

It just keeps happening! I’m convinced that Televisa is making a cry of help to TLC’s What Not to Wear. Val has to be some sort of plug for publicity on What Not to Wear: South of the Border. Please, we’re running a business, not a Disco-themed night club. No wonder the office managers give her hell, she’s dressed like a freaking street walker. Anyway, they give her a cell phone, and she doesn’t really know what it is, but she says she does, and goes all commando on the pretty one. Then she wants to put some hick music on and leans in for a kiss, stare, hair comb, etc.—only to be interrupted by the girlfriend who is an overly-involved psycho bitch girlfriend.

So Val lied to her boyfriend about working for a Chinese guy so Mamma sent the bf to the Chinese store to find out about the lie. Then Estrella goes with him to interpret and eventually it comes out that Val doesn’t work there and when everyone comes back Mama goes into some sort of diabetic shock because her daughter-in-law lied to her son.

Back at the office, Wayne goes to collect, and is sort of surprised when he has to sign a document. Things get sticky when Aldo shows up to the office where Maury, Sal, and Wayne/fake daddy all meet up and Aldo denies that Wayne is his father. As a knee-jerk reaction Sal takes the suit case and Wayne runs away. Then Secretary calls the police while drunk-as-a-skunk Jimena shows up wondering what’s going on. In an adventure fit for the best racecar drivers in the nation, Sal and Maury decide to follow Wayne’s taxi. We really could have used Val’s athleticism during all the drama, but she was stuck making 800 copies. Poor Aldo doesn’t understand why his father wanted to sell him. Eventually Maury catches up to Wayne and Bonilla and nocks him out. Don’t mess with my family, or I’ll mess you up.

Unfortunately, things go from hick to major hick when under-shirt wearin’, beer guzzlin’ bf shows up at work. What do you have goin’ on here, NASA? No, I lied to you about my job because I didn’t want to seem uppity. Then Val knocks him out with her right hand so she doesn’t have to be embarrassed in front of everyone. Yay, she regained use of her right arm!

In the end the whole family is talking about learning lessons in trust and family bonding. Little Aldo doesn’t understand why his father is allowed to punch out people, but he can’t. It’s an adult thing, son. Jerry says he would have done the same thing to someone who he hired to pretend to be the father of his cousin’s kid so he could collect big time. Then Maury and Aldo go to say goodbye to Val, but she locked herself in the copy room with her bf. She’ll just die if the love of her life discovers her there—but he’s getting married anyway, and has kissed his fake gf many more times than the other couple!

Tomorrow: Maury sort of confronts Jerry. The fam goes to the boxing match—they probably won’t see Val the office worker.

Labels:


Comments:
Good morning Nickster. Perfect title and loved the Wayne Newton reference. Knew the sleazy impersonator reminded me of someone but didn't know who.

We're remarked before on how the wardrobe department comes up with certain "looks" for each character and Beto's makes perfect sense.

However, Mauricio's casual attire attire (as opposed to Salvador and Jernonimo's suits) seems odd. And Val (Moni)'s bosom-baring, skirt up to Neverland look is charming, I'm sure, but way too skimpy for the office or any legal daytime activity..

And of course Mauricio, cute though he is, doesn't seem smart enough to be running a company. Guess that's why the parents put my Silver Fox Salvador in charge. Let's see more of him!

Hope you're having a great summer, Nick! Aunt Judy
 

PS Was super-impressed with your use of the term "portmanteau". Poor Maury could use a little of your brainpower, fella.
 

Nickster, great pace to your clever recap. I enjoy how you zip right along.

Moni's office attire does seem to get more bizarre every day. Ah well, I suppose that's what comes with borrowing professional-wear from the local professional. Although we don't really know what Strella does do we? Besides that she is an 'actress'?

Yowza, portmanteau, I too was impressed. I was also impressed tha Ximena was able to turn it around and use the word on Jerry later on in the episode. That little lady seems uses her kooky behavior as an effective shield.

My only confusion was when Maury gazed at Moni slack-jawed when she mentioned Los Tigres del Norte and Los Bukis. What's wrong with those bands? Are they supposed to be super naco, cuz I kind of like both of them. Or maybe Moni thought her cellular was an iPod or something.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Nicely done Nickster. It really is good to have you back recapping with your trademark mordant wit.

I don't think Ximena was drunk as a skunk, however. I think that is simply her natural state. I especially enjoyed the scene near the end last night with Ximena counseling Connie in the management of her love life. She pointed out that Monita is just an employee while Connie is a goddess (diosa). Then she coaxed a smile out of her and then zinged her with "¡Oh! ¡Diosa! (odiosa). Did she intend the pun or just being her ditzy self? Connie couldn't tell for sure and scowled.

I really love this show.

Carlos
 

Thanks for the recap Nick. I too enjoyed the Wayne Newton reference.

Yes the wardrobe choices in this novela are interesting to say the least. ITA with Judy that Maury is a bit too casual and Moni often looks like a "professional." Nevertheless I'm enjoying these characters.
 

Oh Carlos! I hadn't noticed Ximena's play on words. You are too clever!!
 

I was thinkin' he looked like Wayne Newton's shrimpy little brother!
 

Loved the recap, Nickster, concise, missing nothing. Your wit is wonderful.

So far my favorite characters are: Ximena who will probably turn out to be much smarter than we all suspect. Also the office manager, whose name I forgot. She is beautiful, capable, and trying so hard to maintain decorum in the face of Monita's antics. Finally, Estrella and let's hope she's just an actress... She is so cute and able to handle whatever happens.
Aldo is getting there, too. Protective older brother, too much thrust on his young shoulders. No wonder he's angry.

This is shaping up to be a fun show. Let's hope it lasts.
 

And the good guys all seem to have a little snap for a change. Yea for sulky Aldo quietly coming to Mao's rescue. I really like the Chinese grocery. I hope we get to go there often. This show almost cries out for a drinking game where you take a sip every time someone gets pooped and have to down the whole drink for each KO.

Carlos
 

Popped, not pooped.

Carlos
 

My favorite Spanish portmanteau: I think it was Ariel who called Lety an "assistonta" in LFMB.

(Just dropping in to check on my pals in the early time slot. There's no way I can watch this show. I tried putting an antenna and digital converter on the kitchen TV and got only ONE channel... barely. And it wasn't Univision.)
 

Oh, Carlos, I thought we were already playing that drinking game?!

Aunt Judy, Sylvia: I put portmanteau in there to show you that I met me some state standards and graddeyated.

Also, I didn't want to be mean, but los tigres del norte and los bukis are considered naco/hick-town music for our uppity race car friends.

Thanks everyone!
 

Thanks for stopping by, Julie!
 

yeah...after reading that I figured you scored an 800 on the verbal SAT's, smart guy. Verrrrry impressive.
 

Dear Dr. Carlos..must admit "odiosa" slipped right by me too. That sneaky little Ximena...she knows more than she lets on...and so do you!
 

Judy, actually Connie tipped me off when her smile turned into a sour face. I could almost read her mind:

"Did Ximena just zing me?...Nah, she's not that clever..but yet..."

I adore Ximena.

Carlos
 

Hah! I just thought Connie was unable to maintain a smile for more than a nanosecond. You ARE tuned in,Dr. Carlos.

Have decided the odd costume choices are to send this message. Mauricio is NOT meant to work in an office or be part of the stuffy business world. Hence the sweats.

Nooo, our hero is meant to be back out on the racing circuit with, natch, our sexy but sweet little naco by his side.

Oh-so-wrong-for-him Connie wants him to stay in the office, of course, to keep earning those big bucks but our little Moni loves him just for his big sweet well-muscled self. 'Course she'll end up with the man AND the money, anyhoo, 'cause this is a fairy tale.

And so much the better. I'm all for happy endings.
 

Great recap, Nick, with your trademark style.

ITA about how inappropriate Moni's outfits are, but I like them anyway.

The office manager's name is Gabriella.

Jeronimo seems to be playing almost the same exact role as he just finished in Tontas. Of course threatening your sister may be a little worse than threatening your ex (Paulina in Tontas).
 

Just double-checking. You're recapping for me tonight and I'd doing yours on Friday, right?
 

Carlos, are you unpoopular? Do you pop out at parties?
 

Sylvia, I suspect that I would be unpopular if I were to start popping out at parties. Mainly I , these days, just tend to poop out at parties. Carlos
 

Have you ever watched that I Love Lucy episode, the one about Vitameatavegamin? It's my favorite.
 

Haha, Sylvia I think I understand you perfectly now!
 

For Cap'n Sylvia....
the reason that MAU has that look is that he realized LA MONITA did not know how to program the cell phone to get the ringtones...

in the previous scene Gaby had given La Monita the cell phone and was going to teach her how to use it... and they got into a fight because Gaby as usual was talking down to La Monita... anyway Mau walked in on that ... Gaby told him she was trying to teach Monita how to use the phone....

La Monita ....
 

by the way...
I enjoy your recaps.... I saw novela over the Internet and reading the recaps, adds an extra touch........

thanks...
La Monita
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder