Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Amor Monday, October 12, 2009: Tsumani warning: A massive, crushing wave of tears. Run for your lives!

Friday: Macarena wings her way to a permanently Carlota-free zone. Paloma is in hysterics.

But unfortunately the rest of us are all still stuck here with Carlota. In the waiting room, she tells Dr B that she has the right to go in and hear whatever it is that Mac says to Chris and Paloma. It’s her right, dammit! Camila, Rufi, Orlando and Emiliano are taken aback by her rant. Dr B says no way.

A nurse rushes up to get Dr B and off he runs, Carlota in tow. Those left behind wring their hands.

Dr B and the nurse and Carlota arrive in the hospital room to find the sad scene. No puede ser! exclaims Carlota disingenuously. She puts her arms around Paloma, who is sure Mac is going to revive any minute. Dr B says no, she’s gone. Paloma screams and runs down the hall. Chris wants to follow her, but Carlota catches his arm and says no, Paloma wants to be alone.

Dr B weeps over Mac and says te amo. He leaves. Chris walks in, Carlota following and eyeing him. As he stands at the end of the bed, Carlota says who is standing in front of Macarena, the man or the priest? He says It grieves me that your heart never learned to love, it really does.

Carlota gets down to business. Did she tell you anything? Like what? says Chris. Carlota says, well she wanted to talk to you and Paloma, she must have wanted to tell you something. Canny Chris says if you’re so sure there was something, tell me what it was that she had to say to us. Carlota glares at him and leaves.

Alone now, Chris tenderly looks at Mac and holds her hand.

Paloma rushes into Emiliano’s arms, wailing. Everyone in the waiting room, which also includes Inez and a church lady, weeps. Rufi and Camila are devastated. Carlota comes slowly down the hall and makes a show of leaning on a wall and weeping. Paloma goes from Emiliano’s arms and holds onto Carlota. Rufi thoughtbubbles Why now, when she was just starting to be happy again?

Carlota wails that Mac has left them alone, that it’s just her and Paloma now.

Still at the bedside, Chris wonders why Mac was taken just at this moment. What does it mean? Was it meant as a punishment for him? (Maybe that giant M of light on the church floor meant “murder” instead of “Macarena.” It’s tricky reading signs.) He says when I first thought you were dead, I just about went crazy. And now you’re dead for real. I don’t think I can live without you without the priesthood.

Emiliano is comforting Paloma. She says first my parents, then Inaki and now my mother. Emiliano says they are terrible blows. Paloma says why? I want to understand. Is God testing me? Emiliano tells her she’s not alone, he will always be with her.

Chris is kneeling silently at Mac’s bedside when Dr B comes in and says they have to remove her now. I wish you’d known her better, says Dr B. Her heart was as big as her soul. I know, says Chris, gazing soulfully into the middle distance. Dr B says you do? I guess it was obvious to everyone. I was going to take her away, give her the life she deserved. She and her niña Paloma. It’s all the will of God, I guess. But it’s hard to think she was taken so young.

Chris steps back, tearful, and Dr B says Macarena, we will see each other again in another place. Thank you for helping me to feel again, to love again. Chris blesses her.

It’s really something that Macarena has two fine and handsome men weeping at her deathbed. When I go, I will probably have the company of a gum-chewing nurse reading People magazine. Sigh.

Romina has come and Paloma gives her the news. Romina is surprised and looks genuinely shaken– she had thought it was just another sugar crises. Behind Paloma, Emiliano is watching Romina closely. It’s hard to tell how sincere Romina is, or if she’s just aware of Emiliano’s gaze. Romina says count on me. It’s no fair – first your parents and then your novio and now your aunt. Romina! says Emiliano warningly. It’s true, says Romina, tears falling.

Carlota calls Paloma away. Romina says to Em How long have you been here? All along, he says. Romina dries up and says every time anything happens to Paloma, you’re right there. You know, this just shows that death can grab anyone and that we need to tell the people we love that we love them. Hint hint.

Em says straighten things out with your mother – she misses you. He leaves. Romina huffs.

Camila asks Rufi how it all happened. Rufi talks about how she was making breakfast, how Mac had been looking for papers that Carmen brought, how Carlota had been holed up in her room since the night before, mad about something. Camila asks if maybe Mac and Carlota had been fighting, but Rufi said she didn’t hear anything and besides Mac had been in such a good mood.

Rufi goes on about the missing papers – that they were supposed to change everyone’s life, but mainly Paloma’s. Carlota, approaching from the hall, hears this morsel and stops to eavesdrop. Rufi says maybe she found the papers and read something in them that made her lose her balance and fall.

Camila says we have to find those papers! We have to find out how this happened! Mac was my confidant, my friend. Camila weeps copiously. Rufi says she was like the daughter I never had. Around the corner, Carlota thoughtbubbles that she has to find those papers first.

At Diana’s house, we see Romina getting into a little black dress while Diana, still puffed up and spotty with hives, watches. Romina laments that Em is always around Paloma. Diana says I didn’t want to hurt your feelings, but Em told me he was in love with someone. It figures that it must be Paloma. That little runt must have something attractive about her. The best course would be to be very attentive to her. Romina says I just can’t stand seeing them together. Diana if you’re smart, you’ll put up with it, and stick yourself to her like duct tape.

Dr B offers to Carlota that he will arrange the service, but Carlota says it’s for the family to do. He wants to know how it happened and Paloma says I need to know too.

Coming down the hospital hallway, Orlando has his arm over Chris’s shoulders and says I know what Mac meant to you. They arrive in the waiting room.

Carlota says I was getting dressed, and I heard that Mac got a phone call. I don’t know who it was – she slides her eyes over at Chris. Maybe that call upset her. She was fine before that – we’d just been talking. We’ll never know what might have happened to her, or what she heard, before she fell. Carlota pretends to break down and Paloma runs to her. Sobbing.

Orlando says to Chris are you okay? Chris says no. I don’t know if I can ever be okay again.

Emiliano is at German’s, putting on his tie, and telling German about it all. German says he’ll just finish up his e-mails and he’ll be along. Em leaves.

Paloma, attired in black up to her neck, is in Mac’s room, kneeling at Mac’s little altar. Carlota comes in and says it’s time to go, but Paloma says I don’t know how I’ll live without her. She was my mother. Carlota says she’s so relieved that Paloma knows the truth and that she and Mac were able to embrace one another as mother and child. Carlota asks Did she say anything to you before she died? Paloma says just that I should fight for my happiness.

Carlota says is that all? Paloma says she could hardly speak. Why do you ask? Carlota does the boo-hoo act and says I was hoping she’d have some words for me. Paloma goes to her and hugs her and over Paloma’s shoulder we see Carlota smirking.

Paloma says she will always be here in the house with us. Carlota says no, she’s gone. But this house won’t be the same without her.

They go down the stairs, but Carlota hesitates. Paloma near the bottom spots where her mother’s blood has stained the tiles. Rufi comes out and walks her away. On the stairs, Carlota’s eyes grow wide a second. She looks at the space where the window was, then down, and she sees Mac’s body there, pool of blood and all. She looks disconcerted. I’m wondering how she can fit this into those prayers of hers where she tells God she does everything she does in order to keep the family together.

Padre Mateo comes into a church sitting room and finds Chris staring. He offers his apologies and says you have to be resigned. God knows the reason. Chris leaps up and says how can I be resigned? He bursts into tears. Just give me one reason – one! - why God would take the woman I’ve loved all these years. Padre M says careful, don’t offend God.

Chris says I prayed for a sign, and I got one. And then when I was ready to act, she’s taken from me. Why?? Accept it says Padre M. Chris says He doesn’t seem to like me. Padre M says obviously your mission here isn’t finished yet. Maybe serving a mass would brighten you up a little. Chris wails no! And certainly not her mass. Without her, I can’t serve God. He falls into Padre M’s arms and wails. Padre M, who doesn’t seem to be up to complicated challenges, looks heavenward for guidance.

We’re at the wake. Everyone (read: our characters) is there, in black, weeping or looking appropriately gloomy. Paloma wishes she’d die along with Mac. Em holds her and says what would I do without you? Carlota pulls her aside and says it doesn’t look right, her hanging on her friend’s ex-novio, and Paloma can come to her for comfort.

Mateo comes up to them and gives his condolences and says he’s ready to start the mass. Carlota says you? What about Padre Juan?

JuanChris is sitting alone in a darkened room and remembering, a wine bottle and a glass in front of him. He remembers kissing Mac, and her last moments. Tears run down his face. He agonizes. He pours a glass of wine and stares at it. He lifts it to his lips, hesitates. Someone is pounding on the door. He hesitates again. Wine? Door? Wine? Door? Finally he throws the glass, and goes to open. It’s Orlando, worried about him. Chris says you came just at the right moment. I almost did something stupid. He throws his arms around Orlando. I almost took a drink.

Orlando, who is a bit tone-deaf when it comes to other people’s feelings, is surprised that Chris is that shattered. Chris tells him that he was about to give up the priesthood and marry Mac. Orlando is impactado.

At the wake, Aron approaches Em and says I guess you heard that Pal and I broke up. Em says don’t b.s. – there was never anything between you two. Aron says that’s not true. Em says this isn’t the time or place. Aron hisses threateningly that he’s not giving up.

Romina pulls Em aside and says she’s really worried. Everyone around Paloma seems to keel over. What if she’s next?

Chris tells Orlando he gave up everything for Mac, and now she’s gone. Why couldn’t she live to be happy? Orlando says she was in her last days. Maybe that was the plan, having your history be resolved. People change over the years, maybe things would have been different between you. Chris scoffs. Orlando says you were adults now, not young like you used to be. Old relationships can be romanticized. You became a priest. Chris says but she was alive!

Orlando says but she’s gone! Accept it! You have to decide if you want to continue as a man, or as a priest.

Carlota has taken Rufi aside and tells her that the family secrets have to remain secret. Mac had time to divulge them and didn’t, so we have to respect that. Rufi says maybe she didn’t have enough time. Maybe she wanted to see Chris and Paloma together. She did, says Carlota, and she didn’t say a thing. You’re not a member of the family – I’m the last member who has the right to tell, and I’m not going to say anything. Get my drift? Rufi nods.

Orlando tells Chris maybe you and Mac were meant just to close the circle of your love. She wasn’t healthy, and when she knew that you loved each other, she could die. Now your calling should be even more powerful. Chris says being a priest is no small matter. How can I go back like nothing ever happened? Orlando says you were honest with everyone, yourself included. Your business as a man is finished now. You were lucky to have the opportunity to tell her that you didn’t abandon her.

Chris says the problem is that I’m so angry about her death. You’re the only the second person I’ve told – we even kissed! Orlando says but that’s wonderful! You were able to clarify everything between you. Would you have given up the priesthood for anything else? No no no says Chris. There you are! says Orlando. Accept it. Go to your confessor and talk it out. But just think – you were able to make her happy.

Their theme song starts up and Chris smiles a little. Orlando says decide what you want to do with your life. Chris is still smiling.

Avances: hard to understand. A blond lady goes to the lawyer about Mac. At Mac’s graveside service, Carlota pulls Paloma away from Emiliano again.

Labels:


Comments:
Cathy: Thank you for your wonderful recap of Friday's episode. You are so talented and write so well - your recaps will be sorely missed. I'm just sorry you had such a sad episode...

Maggie: What a perfect and prophetic title. I can only say I never saw Mac's death coming. In the midst of all the angst, I had to smile at "When I go, I will probably have the company of a gum-chewing nurse reading People magazine. Sigh." Gracias Maggie, for slogging through this and recapping such a tragic event.

Macarena was the glue that held her family and friends together. What was to be a happy family - Mac, Cris and Paloma will never happen. A tragic and truly unexpected, unwanted death.

Diana in MA

Diana in MA
 

Maggie, you do such a great job.

I thought Juan Cris was magnificent in this episode. He allowed all his sorrow and grief to come to the surface.

But when will Paloma break from Carlotta's clutches? And how far will Carlotta go in trying to come between Paloma and Emiliano? I sincerely hope there's at least a little light brought into this story....and soon.
 

Maggie, thanks so much for a marvellous recap. Your wit, starting with the title, was the only thing that made this horrendous episode bearable for me. I also appreciate your fairly detailed account of what the characters said. I miss so much on my own.
 

I also thought Padre JC was the most dignified in his grief. He let the doc have his moment, without bursting his bubble about Mac and him starting a life together. I liked the man on man consoling between PJC and Padre Mateo and Orlando- much better than all the wailing and hair pulling going on with the women.

I'm not sure what can be done to lighten up the telenovela now. Every bright spot we get is yanked away. It's time for Paloma to wise up, get a spine and start taking control of her own life. Be strong, darn it!

-Vivi in DC
 

I agree - Padre Cris was wonderful (and heartbreaking). Realistically, how can Paloma survive this? She has had everyone she loved taken from her.

Please Paloma, don't even hint to Carlota that you and Emiliano are novios - Carlota's death score is high enough.

Diana in MA
 

Thanks for the recap Maggie!

I realize that this is novela land in which the logical and practical often do not exist. However, I find it jaw-dropping that Mac didn't tell Chris and Paloma two things: 1) That Cruelota pushed her and 2) that they are father and daughter.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to demand an autopsy. Mac landed on her back, not typical of how a person would land who accidentally fell. The fact that she ever became conscious and was able to speak rationally at all is in itself not believable given the massive head injury she had and blood lost.

As I said in my comment a couple of days ago, I think that a lot of the rest of this novela will be about the missing information that Paloma is Chris's daughter. But when oh when will Mac's death be questioned as a homicide???

Dona Gringuita
 

Excellent recap, Maggie. You really covered everything.

Again, kudos to Arturo Peniche. He was perfect in every scene in last night's episode. He was perfect trying to hold it together and perfect when he collapsed in Padre Madeo's arms.

I was thoroughly annoyed at both Padre Mateo (as usual) and Orlando. Idiot Mateo tries to get him to buck up and say mass over the corpse of the woman he loved. Then Orlando keeps arguing with him that maybe the love between he and Mac wasn't real, that too many years had passed for them to reconnect, and on and on. I don't like this actor or maybe I don't like the way Orlando is written by the writers. I surely hope Rafa is the one who gets Camila.

And then we have the annoying two stalkers, working their agendas during Macarena's funeral: Romina and Aron. I wonder if Paloma is going to be smart enough to realize Romina's not a true friend while she sticks to her like glue. AND, for goodness sake, will Pal and Em ever just let everyone know they're an item!
 

Since Paloma has now caught on to Romina and knows she is lying to her. I believe it will help her wise up about Carlota. They show a preview for the whole week of ENDA and Paloma confronted Carlota about in love with her father. Carlota who does not like to deal with reality or the truth gave Paloma an hard smack. I'm hoping Alonso comes back and get after Carlota about Inaki. I'm hoping also Orlando will say something to Camila about Cris and Macarena I know she will put two and two together, and probably finally tell Paloma the truth about her father. Right now Rufi knows and Carlota know about Cris. Emiliano, Rufi, Carlota, Paloma, Dr. Rudolfo and Camila know Mac was Paloma mother who will spill the beans?
 

Cathy - thank you for your recaps. Please know that you will be missed.

Maggie - thank you for your recap. Your title captured my feelings about this novela. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.
 

Maggie, thanks for slogging through this whole tragic episode and including all the details and even some humor in your recap. Great job.

Paloma is really irritating me. I had to fast forward through some of her gnashing of teeth. I know she has every reason to grieve but the way she does it is just so grating to me. I prefer Cris's brand of quiet personal grief to Paloma's loud "I am suffering! Pay attention to ME! Mememememe!" style.

Not to mention that I'm still convinced it was her flipping out and jumping on Mac and shaking her that got Mac the non-refundable ticket to eternity.
 

I don’t quite get the dichotomy of man and priest. To me those aren’t mutually exclusive categories. Is this a concept in the culture, or just a turn of phrase? Anybody know?

I was surprised that Chris did some real boo-hooing. Up until now, the actor has been quite reserved. It was appropriate but, for me, unexpected.
 

Basically if a priest is caught en flagrante with a man(or boy) - cover it up and move on.. but when caught with a woman, whoa he is sent away to pray and be reeducated! What a system.
 

Chris' acting was superb. He had me crying along with him. It's so sad that he and Macarena finally picked up where they left off only to have it yanked away again.

Somebody mentioned in another post that Macarena may come back ala Ciro from MEPS. I hope she does!! Not only will it give solice to Chris and Paloma, but Carlota will go crazy with guilt and fright.



~Caborita
 

Maggie, what a great title for this episode and thanks for your sense of humor in recapping this episode. It was an hour of crying and tears all around except for Carlota's fake performances.

So how long has it been timewise since Romina and Pal first met Emiliano when he gave them roses...4 months, 6 months, 8 months because I have no idea. Anyway, this novela seems to be moving along and the avances suggest a revelation for Pal about Carlotal so she'll get another clue about Carlota and, hopefully, someday soon put them all together to see the whole frightening picture.

Carlota, with Chris' engagement ring on her finger, was brazenly waving her hand in front of his face but he was in too much anguish to notice.

The missing envelope is sooo irritating. Mac certainly screwed up things for Pal and Chris before meeting the maker.

GinCA
 

I was very sad to see Victoria Ruffo and Arturo Peniche get separated on ENDA. I loved them together in 'Victoria' even though Peniche played a scum bag. I have never seen a nastier villain than Carlota, and even tough I am sad Macarena is gone, I think it will lead to an even bigger finale. It will be time for Paloma to stop being so naive and to take on Carlota along with PJC. I can't wait to see Carlota's downfall. Maybe they'll have purple jumpsuits in the women's prison.

LeeAnn
 

Color won't matter to Carlota after she's been blinded by the boiling acid and oil thrown on her...I hope? And she won't be able to wear any rings, her own or those stolen from others, after her arms are gnawed off by undead puppies and birds.
 

I was thinking that once everyone has found out about Carlota evil deeds that they take her to the church courtyard and stone her to death. I think Julia suggestion is more better than mine. The crooked lawyer who i hope is disbarred once they discover about Paloma inheritance. Look very scared when his secretary told him about Macarena's death in the avances for tonight. He might think Carlota had something to do with it.
 

Maggie:
You have my vote for "Snark of the Year" with this quote
"It’s really something that Macarena has two fine and handsome men weeping at her deathbed. When I go, I will probably have the company of a gum-chewing nurse reading People magazine. Sigh".
Genius, just genius. Thanks for recapping. I am normally over at MEPS/Sortilegio but just popped by here on a whim.
Thanks again for the laughs. They made my day.
 

Thanks for the recap. Last night's episode was sad and somewhat unbelievable. I totally agree with novelera about Romina and Aron. Why do they always have to ruin everything and be so self centered? Good of Emiliano to put them in their place somewhat.

I think it looks like Carlota's next move will be to find out what is going on between Paloma and Emiliano and then proceed to deal with the "problem".

The scenes with JC and Orly were really sad. Poor JC he is suffering a lot and is obviously very confused now about what to do with his life.
--TF
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder