Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gancho Tuesday Jan. 19, 2010 Cirque De Soleil On Crystal Meth And Early Bird Specials

Good Lord! Here I am recapping Gancho when I should be heading off for an early bird dinner at Denny's. What is the world coming to? Univision, the AARP will picketing your studios real soon. In the meantime, I feel slightly dirty. Watching television in the afternoon seems perverse. Next thing you know I'll be drinking before lunch. When is lunch anyway? I'm all confused. You know how old folks are.

Well, and you know how Jeronimo is. As the episode begins this afternoon, Jeronimo is dishing out his usual insults to Ximena. Tarada. Taradita. Stupid. Stoopid!-- and so on. Our new, adorable-in-love Rolu defends her. (Jeez, I hope you menfolk don't hate Rolu also. 'Cause he is hawt, now that he's treating Xime right.) Xime is still teflon-coated. The insults slide right off and she hops over to bond with her sobrinitas (little nieces).

Back at the ring, the well choreographed lucha is still going on. Connie looks sexually aroused as she yells at the bad guys, Take it off! Take it all off! (The mask. What were you thinking?)

Meanwhile, Aldo has returned home in full adolescent sulk. Man, that brings back memories. He lurches through the room, not talking to anyone. Even Xime sniffs" Que educado!" (what manners!) Jacqui, ever positive, suggests they eat and then play some poker. (Guess who's going to rake in all the chips). She tells Katia to hustle off to the kitchen, put the food on plates and we have a second adolescent sulk in full gear. WHY DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING!? More memories.

Xime heads out to the kitchen to help and get the 411 on the real reason Katia's upset. After a little food talk (I learned "rollitos de parra": stuffed grape leaves. Is it dinner time yet?) and right away Xime digs out the real trouble. A guy, right? At school, right? Tell me all with "lujo de detalles" (with all the juicy details). Well, you know where this is going. Xime advises that Katja show Aldo that she can give him all the supposed other skanknovia can and MORE. The mothers among us shudder at the thought. Katia has a big grin on her face. Oh dear, oh no, oh crap!

A brief look at Aldo, opening his drawer with trembling hands, about to take a handful of pills. More oh no's. And Monita wants to jump in the ring to save Mauricio. Absolutely not. She'll get killed. The opponents ("contrincantes" as Hombre taught you the other day) are bad guys.

And speaking of bad guys, Count Oscar is still trying to put the moves on Gabriela, undeterred by a little red wine running down his face. She wants him out of her house. He wants her to remember their hot times together. She reminds him he's chasing Jacqui. He reminds her they're both adults, Sal's away, and why not enjoy a night together. I'd never betray Salvador and ESPECIALLY NOT WITH YOU, sniffs Gaby. Well said, amiga.

Some more quick scenes flashing back and forth from the ring to Aldo's room. Monita drags Cesar off to warn him about the de-masking plot. Tano (Love you, Tano, love you! don't care what Carlos says) and Costeño are standing guard by the ring. And Aldo is interrupted by a knock at the door. Good grief, is it Katja? I'm not ready for this. Whew...it's little Dany. Wondering why he's all alone. Would he like her to stay with him? Maybe play a game together. Crawls up in his lap, snuggles in and tells him she loves him. Awwwww. Let the healing begin. Good ol' Dany speaks really slowly and clearly. No need for closed captions. This reminds me of when I was a totally confused Hoosier provincial, living in Geneva, not understanding a word of the French I heard all around me, except for the little kids in the streetcars. Them I could understand fine. Long live the little folks! And in the dressing room, Monita, along with Estrella, Paula and Christian, are trying to convince Cesar to stop the fight.

Ugh. Back to Oscar and his nefarious seduction attempt. What if Sal has been reconsidering? he suggests. You know we men love our freedom. And his marriage to Loriloca was a disaster. Maybe the reason he hasn't returned your calls is he's too busy with all those gorgeous women in Venezuela. Gaby doesn't budge. He'll come back, she answers calmly and we'll get married. With him I've found "refugio y amor" so" Vete". And Oscar does, oozing out the door the same way he came in.

Okay, trying to stay on task here. But it's a quarter to 5! Surely dinner-time, no? Focus. Focus. Connie is reaming out her lucha thugs for not dispatching Furia and Fantasma. And in the locker room, the group think has come up with a new person to hop in the ring....Christian. It was a great scene with one head turning after the other, until the last head was a terrified Christian. In spite of his copspeak "negativo" they truss him up in a Big Bug outfit and send him out. Cesar turns off the lights, they pull Mauricio out, and throw Christian in. Poor guy is scurrying from one corner to the other, trying to evade the luchadores. Meanwhile, Monita, relieved to have Mauricio out of there, lays a big juicy kiss on ......ohmigawd, it's Beto. And Beto licking his lips, enjoys that last little smidgen of Monita-sweetness as well as her astonishment. And here it comes...yesssss, Monita is looking muy pero muy impactada.

Well, the carnage is not just taking place in the ring. Jacqui is having her way with everyone at the poker table. I understand absolutely nothing about poker. Neither does Xime. She wants to know which is better, a "rey bigoto" (mustachioed king) or a "7" (at least I think that's what she said). Rolu tells her a king is higher. So she lays down her cards and has four "7's". Which evidently is "poker". Hey, who cares? Let's eat. Jacqui pulls in all the chips and she, at least , is happy. And Arnaldo...yikes, it's a miracle. He actually reaches out with his latex-gloved hand to try and tentatively comfort Xime. Our little fresa has made another conquest. Who can resist her goofy charms?

More mayhem in the ring. Lots of fun gymnastics and terrified scurrying. It's time to douse the lights again and get poor Christian out of there now that Cesar understands about the switch in costumes. But now they want Christian to get into a Fantasma Vengador costume. No way. He's terrified. But you're a cop, protests Paula. Yeah, but I don't have my gun. And the only "lock" I know is one on a cell. So Paula brings out the big threat. If you don't put this costume on, we're gonna go right down to the courthouse and get married. Bingo, he's on board to be Fantasma.

Oh dear. Katja's going through Connie's lingerie drawer. Pulling out one itsy-bitsy lacey thingamajig after another until she comes up with what, in my day ,would have been known as a Baby-doll. Had a few but never in black. That would have been skanky. Mint green was my favorite. Moving on......

Aldo, meanwhile, is drawing a bath for Dany. Sweet scene where the girls thank him for standing by them and protecting them while Mauricio is gone from the house. Off Dany goes to get scrubbed and we breathe a sigh of relief, thinking that Aldo is past the danger of taking drugs. And second sigh of relief--for though Jeronimo is once again lambasting Xime for being a dope at poker, Rolu once again defends her. Ah Rolu, you are looking sooo good now that you're being nice. Is there a calendar in your future? Sign me up.

More luchador switcheroonies and disasters. Christian runs into some sort of screen, knocks himself out and thus, Furia Enmascarada, whoever's in the costume now (hunger pangs are distracting me) is all by himself. The bad guys are winning! And Monita appears to be running off with Fantasma Vengador. Connie sees, worries, and gives pursuit. Nobody leaves with her man, dang it!

Ay yi yi. Speaking of men.... and women..... Who knew about Katja!? Those babydoll's are being filled out in a way mine never were, I'll tell ya. Merciful heavens. This girl is full-grown and then some. Will Aldo be able to resist? Evidently not. After a few tepid refusals, he gets down to doing what Katja seems to be requesting. Mama mia! this is not good! Fortunately, Katja pulls back, realizing she didn't want her first time to be like this. First times should be romantic, magic, and above all for "love" and she knows Aldo is still in love with Estrella. He'd be imagining he was kissing her instead of our bounteous blonde teenager. She exits with a wistful, "I'd love it if we could be novios like we were before. But not just because Estrella broke up with you." Goodness. Excuse me. I think I have to go get some oatmeal to calm down.

Nope. No time. Connie has barged into the dressing room and sees Monita evidently kissing Fantasma Vengador (really it's Mauricio. Are you keeping all this straight?) Exit Fantasma or whoever it is. And who cares? Well, Connie does. She's not about to let Monita take her "cosas". They're not "cosas" ; they're people, snaps Monita. Well, what will Mauricio say when he learns you were kissing Beto? Remember when you told me you liked both vanilla (Mauricio) and chocolate (Beto)? smiles Monita. Well I like both flavors too. And I'm enjoying them both. And maybe they like having a little variety too, our little monkey sneers. Yep, things are heating up twixt Monita and Connie. And ditto for the ring.

Fantasma is back. Nieves leads a cheer as we have an impressive closeup of her rump. (If I were the actress, I'd sue.) Bodies are flying every which way and even the ref jumps into the pile. Alicia and Nieves cheer hysterically. And our boys win this round!! Big Bug and Big Slug triumph as the ref holds up their arms. The winnah!!! For now, anyway.

But wouldn't you know. Now that they believe the danger is past, our boys, especially brain-challenged Mauricio, want to change back into their original costumes. Cesar doubts the wisdom of this. There are reporters everywhere. Cameras. What if Mauricio gets exposed? Witnesses in the divorce case. Not good. Ugh. This must be more murky foreshadowing.

Paula, meanwhile, is trying to revive Christian. He sees the bright light of the screen he hit and thinks he's died and gone to heaven. Nopis. You didn't even get in the ring. Well, I would have. I'd do anything for love of you, Paula, he gasps. Yeah! Anything but marry me, you dog. And Paula puts him in a very fine hammerlock of her own.

Well, love is going a little more smoothly in Rolu and Ximena's big bed. They're snuggled up all close together while Xime mourns her card debts. How will she pay? No problem. Rolu will take care of it. (Oh, you adorable man. Looking better and better.) They muse that it was a fun, family evening, in spite of the losses. And Arnaldo is even warming up to Ximena, thanks to the nice things Rolu is saying about her.

Nice things? Did I say nice things? Well, not in the locker room. Connie is back in full venom mode. Guess that chocolate-vanilla chat didn't go over well. Big threat time. She KNOWS Mauricio is masquerading as a luchador and when she's thoroughly humiliated him , she'll also tell him that Monita was kissing Beto. It will be the "broche de oro de cerrar la noche" (the perfect way to end the evening). Beto is MY man and the father of the baby I'm expecting. You can't have him, she continues. Gosh, notes Monita, I thought men were just playthings to you! No. I really loved Mauricio and all my problems started the day you crossed my path. Little by little he slipped through my fingers. And now you're going after my Beto too. You're a robber, but I'll leave you with empty hands. I'll destroy you. When I finish with you, you're going to wish you were dead.

And on that lovely note, we end this afternoon's episode. Deny's here I come!

Previews:
Beto, in full triumphal mode, announces to the press that he's the unrecognized son of the famous gossip columnist Pepillo.
And Connie's plan to "out" Mauricio is foiled when a whole host of Big Bugs come out.
But lo', trouble lurks. Connie tells Mom she won't believe what she has planned. Oh dear.

Vocabulary:
rollitos de parra = stuffed grape leaves
el comal le dijo a la olla = the pot calling the kettle black
guamazote, guamazo = big thunk, big blow...as when Christian ran into screen and knocked himself out.
refugio y amor = easy, right? refuge and love
vete = also easy. Go! Leave!
contrincantes = opponents. Remember our "review and learn new" strategy.

Dicho of the Day:
Barriga llena, corazón contento. Full belly, happy heart. (y'know, it's so easy to make oldsters happy, right?)

Labels:


Comments:
Emilia and Mikey...Don't you dare drop out of Gancholandia!!!! I would not just be sulking, I would be suicidal. And I sure my alma gemela Dr. Carlos would be as well. You could always ease up on the "one show at a time" thing. Or follow Dinero recaps and then when you have to jump in mid-stream, you'll know.

And beside, understanding what's going on is overrated. Just ask Ximena.
 

JudyB - thank you for the entertaining recap. It was as much fun as the actual episode, too. Wow. I didn't know how much fun I've been missing by not watching Un Gancho. How can Mexico's viewerville not enjoy this? How can LFMB have been an over-the-top hit down there, and this not be?

Umm... yes,,,, Ana Martin/Nieves should sue over that derriere shot. Que anti-fashion! Surely that wasn't real; hopefully one of those padded things women wear to make their butts look bigger that we see advertised in Vanidades?!
 

Good AFTERNOON Judy. Sure feels weird saying that. Wow, it sure is nice being back to the fast-paced Ganchos we knew and loved. You did a great job keeping up with action seeing as how you are in your dotage...NOT!

I do think Rolu is much hawter now that he smiles and sticks up for Xime. Did you notice how his shirt was open revealing his tattoo? Cute. Who was it said Arnoldo would find Xime irresistible? Oh right, Rolu that's who.

Katia, there is still hope for you. That girl's really got an inner battle going on but I was proud of her for doing the right thing.

Isn't Gabi wonderful? I'm sure she's not as cool, calm as collected as she acts but she puts on a good show. Will she be able to keep it up?

I thought Beto sounded really funny with his affected Argentinian accent. He kind of sounded Italian.

Coni is scary. I wonder what she's got up her sleeve.

Thanks Judy! It was a fast episode and a zippy, fun recap. Loved the title, vocab and dicho too.
 

I just got off the phone with the Comcast people and ordered a dvr. I just can't go without seeing Gancho totally! Thanks for the fantastic recap that made me feel like I was watching it. :)
 

Did you noticed they are re-showing the show at 12am/11pm central?? If you missed the episode at 3/2pm then they re-show it at night!!!
 

JudyB:

Such a fine recap, Ms. B. Given my limited command of the Spanish language I LOL when you commented on how much you appreciated Dany's slow talking. Me too.

Doris! So glad to see you here. This place is way more fun than Sortilandia. I believe you said I needed a Beenie adjustment? You are so right. I seem to have misplaced the Beenie along with my large plastic carrying case for meds. You know how we seniors are! Ha ha ha.

Just a brief whine from the sulker's corner...Because of this schedule change I have to totally adjust my commenting time. I am not yet smart enough to recap and I was just leaving a pithy comment on yesterday's thread (about Nieves' outfit) when I realized that Gancho was coming on. Sheesh.

Can Coni be redeemed you guys? She is so darned cute I want her to be a GOOD person. She doesn't seem like a natural at the eeevil role.

Also, I loved how Katya started out with seduction on her mind and then backed off. Really nice writing.
 

Judy, once again you are triumphant. What a stunning, rollicking, hilarious recap of an episode just like old times. It feels strange to have already watched the episode and enjoyed your amazing recap. A light supper and I'm ready, put me to bed. This old geezer stuff isn't as bad as I thought it would be. If only the young Carlos hadn't abused his knees so much.

My favorite line of the...uh, afternoon comes from you in your comment:

"...understanding what's going on is overrated. Just ask Ximena."

Applies to me in so many ways. Consider it already plagiarized. Ximena had a similar great line today. As she was fretting over her poker hand, she responded to all the pressure with:

"I swear, the hamster is going at full speed...but... no."

She is precious. 4 7s. Ay!

Carlos
 

Thanks, Judyb. Carlos` That word ''plagiarized'' sent a wave through me. I just spent an hour of my life that I'll never be able to get back listening to two English teachers from the college where I teach give a presentation about ''the millenium generation'' whom we are now teaching and how they just do not ''get'' the concept of plagiarism. They claim that it is because of all the cutting and pasting and information sharing that they do on a daily basis. Maybe Univision is right , and I am truly a dinosaur. P.S. You should have taken better care of your knees , and Hub wishes that he had taken better care of his shoulders. After years of pitching , his poor shoulders are giving him a lot of trouble.
 

Elna June (dang I love that name, I wonder if my daughter would consider a change?), To be a proper senior, you need to ditch your plastic upscale medicine bag, replace it with a crumpled brown paper bag, put in all your old prescription bottles for the last 10 years and preferably leave out the most critical one of your current meds. This will endear you even more to your kindly physician.

Can Coni be redeemed? You betcha. It's why I live and breathe these days.

Mañana is the Spanish lesson, I need to do my homework and read at least 50 pages in 2666. However I know I'll be tempted back here.

Later,

Carlos
 

Really nice fast paced recap Judy. I'm sorry this move has left me behind all of you in watching the episodes but as always you gave me the perfect picture for all the great hijinks happening.

Mike I saw what you wrote about your dinner with Emilia and your encounter with Rigo. I'm happy for him to have encountered you two, I bet you made his day. I don't think he gets to be called a jarocho so much anymore.

Elna I think you just said the perfect words to get into Carlos heart: Coni - darned - cute. hehe.

Jarocha
 

Hi guys. Yep, we're all weirded out with this schedule change. But it's not all bad. I got to watch the Buckeyes play basketball without worrying about the recap, and my Evan Turner was absolutely awesome, as always.

Thanks to Carlos for the title. I always borrow from him.

Vivi--so glad you're getting a recorder. Yessss, you musn't miss Gancho.
 

Now Judy and Doris, you must remember Sir Mix a Lot's ode to the derriere before you roundly condemn Univision.

Aw, Judy, you know Emilia aren't leaving Gancho! How can you think we'd do that? Not as long as we have a VCR and a functioning tape. Maybe when our Spanish gets better, we'll be able to handle dos telenovelas, but not just yet.

As a guy, I am not impressed at all by Katia's behavior tonight. She's now a certified Charley Tango whether she intended it or not. Poor Aldo was left to suffer some real physical and emotional distress.

Susanlynn, AMEN on the plagiarism problem.

Jarocha, I thought about asking Rigo if he knew you but caught myself in time. I guess their are quite a few Jarochas in Vera Cruz, verdad?
 

Doris and Elna June...great to have you and Vivi and Susanlynn stopping over in our neighborhood to visit. We love it.

Carlos, love the brown paper bag story. Fortunately I'm only on multiple vitamins. God help me if I ever have to take medication on a regular basis.Don't think this little hamster brain could manage it.

Sylvia...yes, totally strange to have this on in the afternoon. Hope I'll adjust eventually. DON'T LIKE CHANGE!!Actually I'm dealing with two big changes...trying to learn how to use a laptop and am commenting on it while watching Sortilegio. Ay yi yi...creeping into the 21st century slowly but surely.
 

Hi Mike. Missed your comment while I was laboriously typing mine on this new baby.

Okay, I'm feeling better. Emilia really had me scared with her comment on Carlos' line. Nevah, nevah leave us...you're family.

Thanks for recognizing poor Aldo's natural discomfort. Good heavens! he was awfully gentlemanly about it, I must say. Shower time!
 

Mike: There might be around 2 million people in the city. Or 8 million in the whole state (People also call jarochos to everybody from the state of Veracruz, not only the city). But who knows, maybe Rigo knows someone, who knows someone... You know, Salma Hayek is from Veracruz, so I bet we both know her at least.

Jarocha
 

Just kidding :).

Jarocha
 

Susanlynn:

It can't just be the M generation. I had a similar situation 15 years ago when I was teaching at a university. we found a cheating ring among the lower division undegrads. They were frighteningly effective. The group was led by a couple of students who were from another country and at the academic hearing their lawyer tried to claim cultural differences. I found that to be a weak argument and so did the Dean.
 

Carlos:
I am sure your daughter is beautifully named...but I and all other Elnas thank you for your kind words.

Jarocha: how and why have I endeared myself to Carlos? Is it because he is a Constanza fan?
 

Ahhh, Judy, sorry about the misunderstanding... What I MEANT to say was when Gancho finishes its run, we'll have to find another tn to watch.

This afternoon stuff is too weird. We use the VCR but it still is strange. I forget where to post comments. (I've got a teeny hamster brain!)

Loved the recap, by the way. Lots going on. So, so glad Katia rethought her position. (Poor Aldo!)

Rolu is being a real sweetie. He'd better not revert. He looks so good now that he is clean shaven. And, I still like Tano, but I like you also, Carlos!!
 

Elna June: Yes. He is Coni's biggest fan here. I guess I can see the appeal, with her nice hair, sweet eyes and great taste in clothing. Our dear Carlos has been bewitched.

Jarocha
 

Ugh no way I can get used to this early timeslot I just finished posting on Hombre and Carlos' posts. Heavens to Betsy and now this!!! Well, we'll see I'm going to read this one slowly... :)
 

Hey Mike, by the way, I DO know Sir Mix-a-Lot and his lovely ode. Oh my. There's another great song, forget the group who does it, called Big-Bottomed Women. Good song for leg lifts and other butt toners. Still, that shot was mind-boggling. Gave new meaning to wide screen.

Yes, Elna June. Carlos is an indefatiguable Connie supporter. He always takes these unpopular females under his wing. One of his most endearing qualities. Now if he could only see Tano's good points.
 

Well, hey Kris. Good to hear from you. Yes, this new time slot is just bizarre. Of course it's after 10 pm here. Time for my herbal tea and dream-time but I'm all wired from seeing the Buckeyes slaughter poor Northwestern tonight. I become a red-eyed slavering beast when watching basketball games. I'd fit right in at a luchadora fight, I'm afraid.
 

Judyb~~Big Bottomed Girls was brought to us by the incredible Freddy Mercury and Queen . Anybody here at Gancho plan to watch Corazon Salvaje when Sortilegio ends ? I'm looking for some buddies. I've surfed into it on Youtube , and I liked what I saw. Elna~ I've heard that ''cultural differences'' business, too. We have a lot of foreign students from all over the globe at the community college where I teach , and the college does not buy that defense. However, it's amazing how easy it is to use the computer to prove plagiarism. My fellow teacher typed in one sentence from a paper that was turned in to me , and...BINGO...there the paper appeared on the computer screen. Are you familiar with the term ''self plagiarism''? [Can't believe my word identification ...''fredi''...how mystic !!!
 

Wow, there has been a lot of chatter on this old blog today!
I'm cracking up over all the old people talk, probably 'cause I are one!!!!

Day one of mourning for me: no Gancho, but at exactly 3:00 today I thought fondly of the good old days, er, evenings...

Thanks Judy for an action-packed recap. I can almost picture all the costume changing that went on during the fight. So glad our little Coni didn't get her way with unmasking Mau.

So Estrella IS pregnant eh? I'm not sure how I missed that news. I remember the "estrogenic contingent" going to the local farmacia to purchase the test, but I thought she had refused to take it, sure that she couldn't possibly be expecting.

Nice to hear Monita was giving Coni a taste of her own "chocolate and vanilla" metaphor! I wish I could have seen that!

I called Comcast today to find out about the external tuner and yes, I can get one for only $1.15per month, a small price to pay to be able to record Gancho. The closest Comcast center is not close by, though, so will have to wait until Saturday when I'm not working and have time to drive there. In the meantime, I will enjoy all of your excellent, fun-filled, and informative recaps. Detail, details, details, pleeeeaaaase!
I'm dying without my nightly Gancho fix!
 

I just watched a little bit of Corazón Salvaje at dinner, Loriloca is in it apparently. She is not loca there but she still funny.


Jarocha
 

Carlos has a soft spot for Coni because she reminds him of a lovely clarinet player from his past.

Susanlynn, any idea when Corazon Salvaje starts? You know I am a sap for anything that has a theme from the high seas.
 

Brilliant, Judy, just brilliant. I'm glad you got some bright spots with Rolu and Xime and of course plenty of excellent chances to snark. I agree with you about Katia's assets. Wowser. Helium-filled?

I love that Sir Mix-a-Lot song. One day I actually heard him perform it LIVE, from my desk! He was out in the plaza in front of our building, with some American Idol finalist who was beat-boxing along with him. That was a good day at work.

Poor Aldo just cannot win.

Where is Salvador stashed?
 

Smart, savvy title Judy!

To celebrate missing the episode and being too tired to stay up until midnight for the repeat, I've settled into my desk, a warm blanket around my arthritic knees with a nice juicy can of Ensure.

Judy, your clear, concise recap vividly portrayed last night's events so I feel as though I missed nothing. I loved "nefarious" one of the best words - ever. Enjoyed every word, vocabulary and dicho especially "luchador switcheroonies" and "last little smidgen of Monita sweetness". Perfect, amiga.

I haven't forgiven Katja for her complicity in Estrella's near rape and wish she'd find someone else besides Aldo to focus on.

Glad Mau has such a supportive network of friends, willing, ready and able to defend his anonimity.

Susanlynn, cannot wait for Corazon. Sylvia, I believe it follows Sortilegio which will be done in a few short weeks. Pirates - sigh.

Diana
 

Deb, I was also taken aback that Estrella is officially pregnant. I don't recall her ever announcing the results of her test. She looks very pale still. Maybe she is fibbing to her girlfriends, she doesn't know for sure and she is letting them jump to conclusions?

Diana, interesting comment about Katia's focus. She might take after big sis in that regard. Maybe now that her mom is around, FINALLY, she will see the benefits of playing the field.

Carlos, this is now two weeks in a row that you have been quoted in a recap title.
 

Oh, and thanks for the heads up Diana. Yanez does not typically make my heart go pitter pat but as you so eloquently put it, Pirates - sigh.
 

Hi Diana, love your quip about warm blanket around your arthitic knees (sounds good to me) and your can of Ensure (Oh Lord, please let me never have to drink that!).

It was just beyond weird to recap in the middle of the afternoon. As I said, it felt rather degenerate to watch TV during the day. (unless you're watching sports, of course!)

You know us oldsters, back when I was a teenager, they only had programs in the evening. And by 11 pm they were playing the Star Spangled Banner or some such tune and signing off.

Deb...I'll be interested to see how your DVR recording goes. Keep wanting to do that but we're having trouble communicating with our cable company. In the meantime, using an old VCR but can't find new tapes in the stores anymore.

Sylvia...you're up early. Glad you'll be joining Susanlynn for Corazon Salvaje. Just don't think I can handle his co-star's voice. Aracely, is it? That high, chirpy baby-talk style she has is just like a fingernail on a chalkboard to me.
 

Oh, and Julia...so JEALOUS that you actually heard Sir Mix-A-Lot right outside your door, so to speak. Almost seems like a cellphone commercial. You DO have an interesting life, amiga. Who knew an engineering degree could lead to so much adventure.

My only brush with celebrity was walking down a street one day (in Geneva, Switzerland), trying to smoke a cigarette (Big mistake. didn't repeat it) and seeing Jack Palance coming the other way.

Suffice it to say I'd had a major crush on this "bad guy" since the age of 13, when I saw him in the movie Shane.

He looked drab and colorless, garbed in a gray sweater, totally nebbishy. I was crushed. Another dream dead! (Alright, dream is not the word. Fantasy, maybe.)

Hopefully, if I were to see Rolu walking down the street, he'd be totally hawt. And young enough to be my grandson, so scratch that too.
 

Greetings, all. I am not watching this, but I wanted to comment on the afternoon move. Even my friend at Univision is not sure why they moved it. But one reason could be the new shows are now being shown in HD (Sortilegio and Dinero), and they want to show off. They look really good!
 

Good to hear from you, NinaK. What shows are YOU watching? Or have you shelved telenovelas for a while? Anyway, guess the reason for the move still remains a mystery. I watch on an old TV anyway, so HD makes no difference to me.
 

PS Took a few peeks at Dinero while watching basketball on the main TV (which IS HD) and must say didn't really need to see all that blood in high definition. Keep my world warm and fuzzy por favor! Same thing when I put on my drugstore reading glasses and find out the digital photos show all kinds of lines and wrinkles I didn't know were there. Who needs 20-20!?
 

Hi, Judy. I have not been watching anything except occasionally tuning in to Amor. Nothing has captured my fancy lately.

But I'm a big fan of HD. When something is not available in HD now I find the regular broadcast to be an unappealing blurry substitute.
 

Thinking of Nieves' wide-angle exposure: Ogden Nash said it best, "Sure, deck your limbs in pants;
Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
You look divine as you advance --
Have you seen yourself retreating?"
 

Emilia...what a great quote! Will have to try and work it into a title some time.

I've never had any trouble carrying babies but wish I didn't have the wide child-bearing hips that I do when looking in the mirror. Only after that dental surgery when I dipped down to 113 did I even look half-way decent from behind. And sure didn't stay at that weight! Long live long over-size tops sez I.

NinaK...none of my business but what are you watching these days? I'm clueless about the American tv shows because I don't watch anything other than Univision and sporting events.
 

Judy, thanks for another gem of a recap. With your recaps, I always feel as if we're sneakily watching all the fun from behind a curtain. It's all guilty pleasure.

That Aldo really is being pushed every which way. If only Mau can find a way to solve his own problems, and give Aldo some father-son time. The truth is that all three teenagers (Aldo, Katia and Luisa) have conflicts, and of course, that's part of growing up. The show portrays this aspect well.

But back to the fun stuff! I just love the idea of switching identities with the wrestling costumes. I figured that Beto and Mau had switched, but then when poor Cristian had to be first Furia, then Fantasma, that was hilarious! And of course tonight, we get even more costume mayhem.

(I mean, this afternoon. I'm still watching the show at about the same time as before, having recorded it, but of course I have to make sure not to read the recap before I watch the show).
 

Y'know, with the way my brain flips in and out, I kind of like reading the recaps before. Gives me a heads up on what to "look for". Sometimes another person's point of view ahead of time really enriches my experience of the show.

But for those who don't like spoilers, of course not. (I've been known to peek ahead to the final chapter of mysteries and suspense novels, just to tone down my own anxiety. Clearly I'm not a "do not open 'till Christmas" type person.)
 

I'm with you, Judy. Knowing what is going to happen doesn't ruin it for me at all. I always have to remind myself that some other people do care so I should be careful what I say. I refuse to censor myself regarding a TV episode that aired more than a week previously or a movie that's been out more than a month, though. If they really cared, they would have already seen it.

I love the luchador switcheroos. I think they need to drag Tano into it, as well. He's just standing around doing nothing. It's too bad Rolu isn't there and is in a cast; he'd be a natural. He's used to taking falls, anyway. But I like him better snuggling with Xime, so it's just as well.
 

Emilia:

Your quote was astonishingly apropos. I cannot stop laughing. And on the subject of hips, well we could probably talk all night about how we ladies perceive our hips. I always wanted a narrow boy butt, but—no luck on those genetics.

One of my daughters on the other hand, says she loves her curvy hips and thinks they make her look womanly. Like someone else said, if I were the actress I would kill the cinematographer.

EJ, checking in late today because we have had not power fo the last 10 hours.
 

Gancho also comes on at midnight same eppy as 3pm at least in va.
 

Hi Ebony and Elna June. Yes, Gancho comes on at midnight here in Ohio too, 11 pm Central Standard Time...but that's way too late for most of us who are up at 5 or 6 am. Hopefully most of our folks can record it or get at least something out of our recaps.

Yes, EJ, "boy butt" is what I wanted too (but not the Cesarean section that often comes with it) so when I feel ungrateful I remind myseslf of those three children I had without any trouble at all.
 

Judy, in answer to your question, I'm watching old standbys such as Law and Order and SVU. Also Project Runway and Top Chef. I've also been known to tune in Real Housewives and yes, I admit it, Jersey Shore. Hey--it's in our backyard--gotta watch.
 

Hey Elna June, glad to hear you are weathering the storm fairly well so far. I was wondering if you were getting slammed. The NOAA site shows some huge storms out in the Pacific headed toward California. They are lined up like soldiers readying for battle.

Emilia, what a fantastic quote. You come up with some of the funniest poems and quotes. I've always loved Ogden Nash.
 

Cap'n:

I am a fan of the NOAA web site. Six inches of rain here in the last 24 hours and an inch an hour expected during tomorrow's morning commute.

But really, compared to the weather in other places we have so little to gripe about here. We don't have much snow, never have freezing rain, ice storms or hurricanes and seldom have tornadoes. Seasonal torrential rain, mud slides, fires and an occasional earthquake hardly warrant complaint.
 

Elna June, Darlin', I like how you think.

Carlos
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder