Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Gancho Tuesday Jan. 5, 2010 Mothers Against Drunk Smooching

Well, we had our hopes up for some real fireworks tonight: maybe crazy disguise switching back and forth with Mauricio and Furia, or perhaps some tender cuddling with our favorite couple Ximena and Rolu. But it was not to be. Instead we had verbal and physical spankings by our two outraged mothers, Jacqui and Nieves. It was looking like a Punch and Judy show there for a while, with mucho whacks and mucho scolding and both recipients, Connie and Beto, sulking defensively through it all. But there were brighter moments as well. Let's take a look at some of the other scenes.

Beto has buttonholed the Bug to demand why he's not helping him reconquer Monita. In fact, the Bug seems to have moved in on her himself. Treason! Furia huffily reminds Beto that he's involved with another woman...Constanza to be exact. So fuggedaboutit!

Exit Furia, with Aldo trailing behind, while Estrella distracts Monita. Phase II of Mauricio's appearance is in the works.

Actually it's Jacqui who does the distracting. She sallies forth, sits herself down at Monita and Estrella's table, introduces herself as the mother of that heartless Constanza (she takes after her father!) and unloads a few tales of Connie's girlhood-- for instance, how her little princess got kicked out of nursery school for playing a scene from the Exorcist and vomiting all over the place. Charming. Then she goes on to compliment Monita on her gown and look down her nose at Estrella's outfit, remarking that it makes our star look like an easy woman. Actually both Estrella and Nieves looks like saloon dance hall girls from those old westerns I used to watch on black and white TV. Don't get me started on Matt Dillon now! Anyway, Jackie promises more spiffy stories if Monita ever wants to get together for coffee. And then off she sails.

And in glides Mauricio, looking mighty fine in a tux. Connie glares at him. So does Monita. Oh dear, what does this portend? We have to wait until after the ads to find out.

We're back. Beto, having failed to dissuade the Bug from romancing Monita, decides to try and enlist Mauricio to his side. No go. Mauricio is furious that Beto's been bedding his wife and moreover has impregnated her; and now is trying to pass off the baby as Mauricio's! Yep, those are pretty good reasons to be honked off. However, our galan is ready to make peace if Beto will just see reason. Stop trying to hook Monita. A real man only needs one woman (this is an idea that has not yet caught on--in Mexico--or anywhere!) and since Beto is truly in love with
Constanza, Mauricio will help him to be with her and the baby. But in turn, Beto must help him re-win Monita's heart. Beto does not seem to be convinced.

Alright. Break for a mini-catfight. Nieves and Alicia are clawing at each other. Sample:

Alicia: Oh Monita, I wouldn't have missed your fight for anything. I'm so happy I'm about to bust!
Nieves: You're about to bust because you've gained weight!

That's enough, right? You get the picture.

Our barrio trio, Moni, Paula and Estrella, pretty much ignore this ill-will and fantasize about Monita's mother looking down at her from heaven, helping her in the fight tonight, functioning like her guardian angel. (Wonder if Mom will ever reappear again. That should make for quite an episode.) The scene concludes with Alicia gushing about Furia and how she'd like to meet him up close and personal. More ads.

Ugh. A nasty Constanza/Mauricio scene. Never like those. She's needling him about Monita showing up with a luchador. Obviously his little chimpanzee has moved on. But strange, he doesn't seem that upset. What's up with that? Well, no matter. She'll allow Mauricio and Monita to be in the same room tonight, but not too close, alright? And actually, she wants Mauricio to sit at HER table. Yes, that would be just perfect....her lover on one side, her husband on the other.

Mau's doing his little lip-chewing passive-aggressive thing, and finally spits out that such humiliation is" not in the contract". Oh dear, I should have added that, smiles Connie and heads off to start a major makeout session with Beto. Little kisses, then tongue flips, then more strenuous kisses, then total sucking face. Blech.

Our Gancholand onlookers are disgusted. Katja looks like she's about to hurl. Gabriela is even more distressed....and vocal. Throw water on 'em, she yells. Even Christian, in his typical legalese, opines that" marriage should be respected" (what do YOU know about it, sniffs Paula).

While this lamentable scene is taking place, Nieves and Cesar are cuddling at the bar and swilling champagne "cruzadita" (we used to do this with new wine when we were partying in the wine gartens of Vienna. Great custom!) Anyway, Alicia roars up, only too happy to inform Nieves of her son's shameless behavior.

And the fight is on. Jackie is haranguing Connie while Nieves upbraids Beto. They're momentarily distracted and start dissing each other after Jacqui uses the term "gentuza de vecindad". Nieves lets her know that Connie would do well to behave as properly as said "gentuza"....her daughter is no lady. Now Jacqui's back to berating Connie for bringing her down to Nieves' level. More uproar. Nieves finally grabs Beto by the ear and hauls him off.

Mientras tanto, our outraged audience is letting Mauricio know they support him. Even reformed Rolu offers his encouragement. Whoops...Oscar oozes up and wants to be part of the club, promising that this shameless display will help him win a divorce for Mauricio. How very kind of you, seethes Salvador, but butt out!

And then....oh darn! Ximena was about to kiss Rolu when Mau calls her away saying he needs to talk to her. You're the one who should butt out, Mauricio! We'd like to see some real romance here. But it was not to be. And more ads for Pete's sakes.

When we come back, Dany, looking quite spiffy in her curls, is asking Monita why's she's with that luchador rather than papa Mauricio. We get the Child of Divorce Talk...you know the one...even though we're not together anymore, that doesn't change my love for you. I'll always care for you, Dany. Naturally, this is totally unconvincing.

And now a strange little scene twixt Lalu and Arnoldo. I find Arnie annoying but Lalu absolutely fascinates me and we have a number of shots of Lalu's Cheshire Cat grin as he observes Arnoldo frantically polishing knives and rims of water glasses. He attempts to move in on our hypochondriac, God knows why, but Arnoldo scurries away. Hey, Lalu, you can do better than that, buddy.

Alright. Mauricio has decided to take party hostess Ximena to task for 1) not telling him that Connie was sleeping with Beto and 2) pretending she was having an affair with Beto when that was not the case. Ximena explains that Connie's frequent death threats were to blame for her reticence but please please please forgive me, primuchis, and don't stop loving me because you are my favorite cousin....well, my only cousin...but puhleeeze! Okay. Fight over. Mauricio makes her promise never to hide anything from him again. And all is well. (Hah!) As Maggie says, if you believe that, you've flunked Telenovela 101.

And now for confrontation No. 3 (First Constanza, then Ximena, now Monita) Are you going to ignore me all night, Mau sniffs. I came here because I can't stand to be apart from you. I've come to beg your forgiveness. I've never stopped loving you. I love you more than life.

All this falls with a great big thud as Monita tells him not to "gastar saliva" (waste your breath). But on he goes. It was all a trap. Constanza knew she was pregnant by Beto and set me up to spend just one night with her in return for a divorce. I know it sounds ridiculous but I fell into her wily clutches.

None of this cuts any ice with Monita. She is so wounded by his betrayal of his promise that she could never love him again. She thought his kisses, his caresses, his skin were hers and hers alone. What about those promises of love eternal, fidelity, huh? Well, move on buster. Spend another night with Connie in bed. Beto's already warmed her up for you. But Monita's not going to wait for you. She's moved on. Mauricio is history. The Bug is her future.

Hmm...and now another acrimonious scene. Jacqui's continuing her maternal tirade. I can't believe how you're acting, Connie. Mauricio's going to divorce you and leave you without a penny. Not so, smirks Constanza. I have the money part all locked up. And besides, if you don't like how I'm handling my life, JUST LEAVE! What's more, how dare you judge me! You're here, swanning around with two men yourself. Yes, snaps Jacqui, but I'm a single woman. And besides, the only reason I'm going around with those two idiots is because I'm looking out for you, daughter. I know you've agreed to split your take from the marriage with those two goons.

Do we believe mama Jacqui? Well, let's think about it while we wade through another round of ads.

When we come back, we have mama Nieves on the job. Her tirade is laced with a number of feathery swats, pummels and punches. But there was plenty of verbiage too. We begin with a round of "vaqueton, patán, mantenido, cinico!" and we go on from there. At one point, she wishes she could take him back into her womb and rebirth him so he could be a real man. Jeez, what an image! Finally she decides it's time for the "mano dura" and perhaps the only way to get him to grow up is to kick him out of the house. No more milanesas for you, you sleazy ingrate! Harsh.

And it's all downhill from there. Connie tearfully lays the blame for her crappy attitude at Mother's feet. Jacqui was always off chasing millionaires on their yachts, leaving behind two bewildered little girls while she prospected for new bankrolls. And Nieves, she's appalled at the thought of her grandchild being born to a disreputable "flauta" and a father whose only manliness is his stench. As for Monita, she's cutting Mauricio loose for good...."Hasta nunca" she sneers to a tearful Mauricio.

I hate to end on this downbeat note so let's talk dress and makeup. Katja and Luisa both looked stunning. Totally wow as someone would say. Ximena was entrancing in a soft gray dress that made her look like she was encased in a wispy cloud. Teresa's hair is looking better and better and so is Dany's. In all honesty, I didn't care for Monita's outfit. But hey, small detail. Anyway, she filled it out beautifully and her hair and makeup were perfect. Estrella...gotta agree with Jacqui on that one. Ditto for Nieves. Both a little too Marie Antoinette for my taste. As for the guys. Hey, you're all hunkalicious in those tuxes. For you, it's easy. Now please, let's get back to some tender romance with Ximena and Rolu!

Previews:
But alas, the previews seem to indicate more stormy weather. Our nasty Connie has the mike and is announcing to one and all that Furia and Mauricio Sermeño are one and the same.

Vocabulary:
Yep, there are some repeats here. But remember my motto: Review and Learn New.

visera = eyeshade, vizor (this came at the end of the episode, don't remember in what context though.
un as bajo la manga = an ace up her sleeve (Connie, of course)
mano dura = lit. hard hand...in other words, firm discipline
baños de pureza = purifying baths (something Connie doesn't need from Mom)
abrir grietas = open up crevices, refers to creating distance and hostility in a relationship
sentar cabeza -= settle down
entrar en ambiente = get in the swing of things (Lalu to Arnoldo)
un acto fallido = a failed act (Ximena berating herself for letting Mauricio down)
no conoce el recato = has no sense of decency (Gabriela denouncing Connie and Beto's behavior)
tan campante = cool as a cucumber (see above)
el susodicho = the aforesaid (Christian in his legalese analysis of the situation)
guarderia = nursery (for children)
dorar la pildora = lit. to gild the pill...in other words, to sweeten the pill
gentuza de vecindad = neighborhood folks but "gentuza" is derisive or derogatory for "gente"
gastar saliva = lit. spend saliva, in other words, waste one's breath

Dicho of the Day

Connie said it, in dissing Monita. "Aunque la mona se vista de seda, mona se queda."
lit. a monkey dressed in silk is still a monkey.
We would say:
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

Labels:


Comments:
Judy, great job with what to me seemed to be an almost impossibly difficult episode. The CCs I had seemed almost useless most of the time. I tip my hat to you. You are awesome. I really enjoyed this episode. Even more so since it wasn't I doing the recapping.

Why is it that Mauricio seems interesting when he's talking with Ximena?

I also enjoyed watching Lalo with Arnie. I think he was making sport of Arnie's problem with germs.

I didn't comment on Estre's outfit yesterday because I'm so fond of her, but Jaqui is not frugal with the truth. She pretty well nailed it. Too bad Ximy didn't take her under her wing as well as Monita.

Ximena seemed relieved when Coni told her that she would help make the party a memorable experience for everyone there. I thought it was rather ominous, instead of reassuring.

Carlos
 

Great recap! Sorry you had such a downer episode, but you captured all the angst very well!

Can Constanza get anymore disgusting? I can't believe Mauricio hasn't grabbed her underneath her defiantly jutting jaw and wrung her neck! Good actress: she makes my blood boil nightly!!! I guess Coni's almost teary-eyed accusation of Jacqui's running after millionaires and leaving she and Katja alone and bewildered during their childhood was meant to elicit sympathy and understanding. I'm sorry, Coni... I can reach, but I just can't feel!
You're a b---- in my book and always will be!

Jacqui and Nieves are hilarious as the dueling mothers, alternating between attacking each other and their own kids. If Beto and Coni marry, they will have quite some ride with these two suegras! And may I just say, they both deserve it?!

I am loving watching Rolu and Ximena. Their blossoming relationship has been about the only pleasurable moments for quite a few days now. I had to hold back the tears watching their very tender "breakup" the day before yesterday. I really like Rolu now, and of course, Ximena is always the greatest! I hope they will stay together and not separate after the mega party!

As several of you have said, this show is so unique and refreshing. You just never know who or what is going to happen next. Arnoldo is making for a funny side show.
I kept trying to figure out who the actor was. Thank you to whoever pinpointed that he was in Guapo as the chauffeur, Rocky! The actor who portrays Rolu looks pretty amused at times watching Arnoldo. I bet he had a hard time keeping a straight face when they filmed this.

Before I end, may I share a personal note from today? I teach a Middle School Hispanic Cultures Class once a week. Today we learned about "Día de Los Reyes." I asked the kids to leave their shoes outside in the hallway when they entered class this morning. They didn't know what was happening, but quickly figured it out as we discussed the customs in Mexico, Cuba, and Puerto Rico surrounding the holiday. We ended the class by eating rosca de reyes, which I made last night. It was muy deliciosa! And my students found that los tres reyes left goodies in their shoes as they departed for their next class! A good time was had by all!
 

Oh Carlos...it was just miserable recapping. The dialogue was so fast and furious, I'd get one word scribbled down and 45 more would fly past. And I DID leave out that scene with Connie and Ximena. I had it written down but everytime I looked at it, I just thought...no, dang it, this one's ending up on the cutting room floor. But yes, dear sweet Ximena did not take it for the mean-spirited threat that it was. Why? Not because she doesn't know Connie...but because, well, she's Ximena. And we love her and hooray! so does Rolu.
 

Oh Deb, we're all wishing we had a middle school teacher like you. What a wonderful idea and effort. Your students will never forget that. Nothin' says lovin' like something from the oven and the shoe idea was fantastic. SO MUCH BETTER THAN DRY BOOK LARNIN'. If all schools had teachers like you, no one would cut class.

Thanks for being out there on the front lines. One of my students is a retired middle school teacher and I just look at her in amazement. That is NOT an age I would want to deal with. I taught college French for a few years and that was about as young as I could go.

Despite some glimmers of tenderness for Beto and vulnerability regarding her childhood, Connie is a first clais villaness. The lesson, I suppose, is that she's destroying her own happiness while she wrecks that of others.

Okay guys, the coffee is ready. Talk to you later.
 

Good morning Judy, Carlos and Deb.

Perhaps the much anticipated fireworks did not occur last night, but the recap was sassy, sizzling and sparkling. Another jewel Judy. The title had me laughing out loud as did your clever "Punch and Judy" and "Oscar oozes up". The vocabulary and dicho were excellent.

Agree with the sage and widely unheeded advice that "a real man only needs one woman".

Carlos, Ximena makes everyone in her orbit more interesting, doesn't she?

Deb, thank you for sharing your story with us. What a wonderful, gratifying and fullfilling vocation. Your students are very fortunate to have you as a teacher.

I shared our characters' distain of the Coni/Beto sideshow. Enough already.

Glad Moni stood up to Mau, exhibiting the backbone Mau wishes he possessed.

I fear that Moni's malevolent mother will reappear before the end. I've wondered all along how this storyline will be resolved as it would take a miracle for her to change. Moni forgiving Mau for lying to her about the death will be another monumental hurdle to overcome in their relationship as it will further "abrir grietas".

The image of Ximena "encased in a wispy cloud" was delightful. Although I love Estrella to death, I also did not like the outfit which seemed more apprpropriate for a canival. The feather headgear she and Nieves sported were just plain wrong.

Diana
 

Good morning everyone. I echo Diana's sentiments, Judy's recap was sizzling. Judy, you drew every bit of interest out of this episode, nice job amiga. It was kind of an odd night, tons of build up and then no big climax. Clearly we have to wait until tonight for that judging by the previews.

I think the Lalo/Arno attraction is kind of interesting. I didn't check back on Monday's episode but at one point I thought I saw Arno giving Lalo a sly little sideways glance. The actors will be fun to watch if nothing else.

I think I might be madder at Coni for ruining Ximena's party than anything else she has done so far! Grrrr.

Deb, you sound like an absolutely wonderful teacher. I know your students must have been absolutely delighted at your lesson plan for the day. I hope Kris reads your comment; during Fuego en la Sangre her recapping handle was Fuego de Rosca de Reyes in honor of the baking Reyes brothers.

Once again, stupdendous job Judy. They were talking FAST FAST FAST and I know your head must have been spinning. Honestly, I would have been lost so I'm amazed you were able to translate as much as you did. I'm very impressed! Thank you for the stellar recap and fun vocabulary.
 

Hi Sylvia and Diana. Thanks for those kind words.Believe me, I really started to panic when I was scribbling during this one. I always wonder if I've got brain freeze or the diaglogue really is going a 100 miles an hour. Had this been my first assignment I probably would have just laid down and wept.

Still considering borrowing my husband's laptop so I can type notes rather than handwrite them. That way I could still look at the screen, and also it would be a lot easier to decipher my notes afterwards. Oh well, hopelessly low-tech and stuck in my ways.

Carlos, per your note on yesterday's recap...I DO indulge in some red wine when I'm down in Charlotte. My children always have some with their dinner and being there always feels like a celebration to me anyway. But at home, not much point and all it does is make me sleepy.
 

Judy, a laptop will make the job much easier. I hand-wrote for the longest time but finally borrowed an old laptop. You're right, it's much easier than trying to read one's own scribbles. Saves paper too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who panics if things don't go just exactly as I want them to during the recap. So far the worst experience I've ever had was when the picture went out on our TV and I had to try to recap from audio only. Never again!!
 

The recaps, particularly on this blog are always polished and professional. One of the many gifts our recappers here possess is appearing to make their words and summaries flow effortlessly.

To me, every recap is a marvel and well beyond anything I could ever do. When the recappers themselves say the captions were off or useless, I can only imagine how difficult the task must be. Therefore, I'll add a special thank you to Judy and to everyone else who soldiers on to give us these wonderful daily treats.

Gracias!

Diana
 

Hola all. Thank you Judy for another wonderful recap. I have to echo Diana's sentiments about your work. I would never know you had any problems with the polished recaps you produce.

Enjoyed your question about Jacqui. I think it may be a partial truth. I'm willing to give her so much more grace than her daughter.

ITA with Carlos regarding Mau and Ximena. In the future I hope they put those two together b/c Mau is very compelling (and seemingly intelligent also) when he talks with Ximena.

Thanks for sharing your story Deb. I still have much to learn on the teaching front (though my students are older) and stories like those inspire me to increase my pedagogical knowledge.

Sylvia - I had to chuckle when you said Connie messing up Ximena's party is the worse thing she's done.
 

Deb, let me add my praise to that of the others. I'm so glad there are teachers out there like you. My tutor, Adriana, who taught high school Spanish has that same dedication, and I fondly remember several teachers I had along the way, who weren't the easiest, but whose influences made me eager to learn and had me looking forward to going to school each day. God bless you!

Diana, maybe before this is all over, Ximena and Coni (who will be one of the good guys by then) will host a fashion intervention for the barrio girls. My heart went out to Estrella and Nieves. Am I wrong, or shouldn't red heads avoid red for the most part? It sure didn't seem to be a flattering color for Estre. I do wish that Jaqui had been a little less blunt.

Sylvia, I was also struck by the rapid-fire talk by a number of the characters last night. I know it was not very charitable of me, but I thought,"Well, better Judy than me." I thought that Jeanne said that starting in Jan 2010 the Spanish broadcast channels had the same CC mandates as the English channels. I've been catching up with last weeks Sortilegio episodes and the CCs on last Wed,'s episode were some of the worst ever.

Judy, on Thur. afternoons, Linda and I usually go out to lunch(my afternoon off) and I'll have a beer with my lunch. Just one, mind you, and even so, when we get home... it's siesta time.

Carlos
 

Ah, that makes me feel better, Carlos. I love the taste of a beer after mowing the lawn (do I sound like a guy or what?)and a little wine with dinner is festive (my husband and I had French wine for dinner every night when we were in graduate school...back when we could afford it!) BC "before children" but now... and with the situation with our son (who is doing well being clean and sober)we're choosing not to have it in the house at all.

Karen, thanks for checking in. Seems like you've been missing for a while. Good to have you back and ditto for Diana!

Sylvia, you've convinced me...I'm going to ask Bob to set me up with his laptop next Tuesday night.
 

And yes, the cc's have been crazy again. There's some Telemundo promoter over on the Sortilegio line who keeps touting their shows as well as their cc's which are supposedly flawless and in both English and Spanish. But I'm okay with the challenges we're facing (also my cable package doesn't include Telemundo). After all, Real Life doesn't have closed captions so while they're a godsend, especially in the early days of learning the language, I'm happy to soldier on with Televisa, come what may. Actually, when the cc's are a little late, sometimes it helps. You think you know what you heard, but you can double-check a few moments later.

Kinda like in real life when you say "Did you say what I think you said!?"
 

Thanks for the fantastic recap, Judy. Not only were they speaking fast, but the acoustics in the banquet hall were not too good, and there was often a lot of background noise and music, so I had trouble hearing what they were saying. You filled in all the blanks.

The way I see it, Mau had 3 things for which he'd have to ask Moni's forgiveness, namely 1) the night with Coni, 2) dressing up as Furia and wooing Moni w/o her knowledge, and 3) the Isabel thing. In each case, I envision a three step process. a) Moni finds out, b) Mau explains WHY he did it, and c) Moni forgives.

So far, we've done 1a and 1b, since Moni found out about the night with Coni, and Mau tried to explain it. No forgiveness yet.

As for the Furia thing, which isn't really that bad, we may have 1a and 1b tonight, although those previews can often be misleading. It may be that when Coni announces Furia is Mau, it gets denied or disproved somehow.

I don't think the Isabel thing is going away. One day, Moni may find out what happened, and that may be the hardest to forgive of all.
 

Karen, so good to hear from you today. You must really be loving Coni these days. Just when I think her behavior can't get any worse, she manages to top herself. Much like Ximena and cuteness. There just doesn't seem to be a natural limit for either.

Hombre, I like your analysis, but I'm betting that while Moni is still put out with Mao, the Bug is going to have insex with her. That will be very tough to forgive. I do agree the mom thing will be difficult to forgive as well. Maybe he should just plead stupidity on all counts and throw himself on her mercy. Now that would be honest for a change.

Carlos
 

I actually liked Estrella's outfit, but I admit I do not have the most sophisticated taste. A bit of flashiness for a party is not a bad thing, in my opinion. Monita's dress was UGLY but she herself was so beautiful it didn't matter. As for Nieves's attire...well, I would expect no less from her and I did appreciate the spectacle when she and Cesar were standing together.

Judy, I agree with the others. I would never guess you had any trouble; your recaps are always so facile and thorough. I understand you also do this with a single viewing and no rewinds?! Amazing.
 

Julia, yes, single viewing and no rewinds. Maybe because that was how Amanda did it. She was a law student (not much leisure!) and she would bang that sucker out in record time.

Of course Amanda (see picture) had started learning Spanish when she was 5 and had had a job at some point in her young life that required understanding and speaking Spanish over the phone, so you might say my grasp was greater than my reach. No matter. I was so impressed and that was my goal.

If I'm still sitting at the computer typing the recap when the last show, Sortilegio, stops recording, I COULD go back, but by that time I JUST WANT TO BE DONE!!!!

Still, Juan Querendon was my first. (Hmmm) And a few weeks into the process, no closed captions. As I told Maggie, I was nose to nose with the tv practically crawling down the actors' throats to try and understand what they were saying. And I rewound. But didn't understand any better the second time around. So it's One And Done for me, forevermore.
 

Hombre...of course Mau has THREE things he needs to straighten out. That has been such a fun theme in this one.

Carlos, for heavens sakes, "insex"!!! Lordy, you must have been a handful to raise. My condolences to your mama who I hope is resting peacefully in Heaven.

But since we're on this subject. Are we assuming fully suited up with our fair damsel blindfolded, as in the Estrella/Aldo tryst? Do want to give your suggestion the respect it deserves and fully explore the possibilities.
 

Judy thank you for the wonderful recap. I have to confess, I haven't yet been able to catch up with all of you in the episodes. I might just skip to the ones you are watching now.

I did read all your wonderful recaps so I know what's going on thanks to all your wonderful abilities as writers. Thank you very much!

About the phrase "Dar en la torre" from fridays episode: it could mean to beat up someone or to ruin someone. It's just basically about getting to someone where it hurts. "Torre" is being used here instead of "madre", since that's the original say, but because in México the worst thing you can do is talk about a mother in a disrespectful way we changed that word. So using "Dar en la torre" is like using the pg rated version of the phrase.

Jarocha
 

Completely OT but I was looking through wikipedia some days ago and I found this map that identifies the areas with the different type of accents in México. With so much talk in the site about accents I thought you might like to see it. I can clearly hear differences between a city and the next but I agree with the map in that for someone outside the country the areas selected might have populations with very similar ways of speaking to the ear.

The chilango accent from Gancho and all those novelas situated in DF is belongs to the red area in the map. The habitants of other places with red have a similar intonation while they speak but their language is usually not as folkloric as in DF. Us from "provincia" can always easily tell when someone is from México City when they speak (and their manners)

Jarocha
 

Judy, the idea of thinking one is bumping the little cars someone when it's actually someone else is icky to me. I really didn't care for it with Aldo and Estrella (actually examining that little interlude too closely exposes a lot of ick factors best left unexplored)and the thought of Mao (who after all is supposed to be the role model here) Moni under similar circumstances makes my skin crawl. It just seems appropriate to know the identity of someone you're getting that close to. Call me old-fashioned. I've seen this same theme in a number of TNs, and it's already happened twice in this. Remember Oscar and Loriloca? Of course that turned out happily. It seems out of character for both M&M, but I 'll still bet that it comes to pass. I sure don't see Moni being as good a sport about it as Estre. However, if it does happen, I hope it's on my watch. The possibilities for the recap seem boundless.

Carlos
 

That map is so interesting Jarocha. Thanks for sharing. It would have been cool if there was an audio link to each accent with someone saying the exact same phrase in that accent. I wonder if there is a similar map for the US?

-Vivi in DC
 

Vivi I've seen on youtube people trying to do that, but they usually get all the accents wrong.

The way I see it, the central DF accent, the norteños, the costeño, the chiapaneco and the Yucateco are the easiest to distinguish.

The norteños sound simmilar to the cartoon of Speedy Gonzalez and all the grupero and banda groups, they have a heavy english influence, in the orange part they sound strong and almost like they could be scolding you when they talk normally, in the dark blue part is simmilar but softer, with a bigger english influence and they change the "ch" sound for a softer "sh". The central has a very particular sound and vowels are very weak. The costeño is fast and there's an "hhs" sound when the s is not starting the word and the r at the begining of a word is very strong but very weak at the middle. In Chiapas they use the voceo: "vos sabés", "vos querés". In Yucatán their spanish is a little mixed with the mayan patterns of speach so they sometimes enphathize their words so much that one sentence may sound like three.

Of course those accents can go from very thick, to almost inexistant depending on how neutral a person sepeaks (neutral would be something like the way Salvador speaks in Gancho)

Jarocha
 

Yes Carlos its very hard for me to watch Connie. I'm so glad we have sensitive souls here like Judy who understand. We know its make-believe but wickedness in some characters is often hard for me to shake.

And ITA with you regarding bumping cars with someone else. Icky sums it up quite nicely.

Jarocha - thanks for the map. When I really understand Spanish and accents hopefully I'll be able to hear all those nuances.
 

Jarocha..once again, you have been such a help to us. Your explanation of "dar en la torre" and the substitution of "torre" for "madre" was so helpful. And of course Sylvia was right on the money with her interpretation of it. Good use of context on her part.

Now I'm going to go look at the map. And it's not OT at all. Or rather there are no OT's on the 7 pm line. We're open to anything! And thanks for identifying Salvador as having the most neutral accent. I'll try to pattern mine after his!

Ah Carlos, I'll trust your instincts...I believe all your TN predictions have come true on this one. So we definitely have more drama ahead.
 

Yes, Sal has a very genteel air when he speaks. So weird seeing him over on Sorti now as the evil, short-tempered stepfather. Thanks for the further explanation of the accents Jarocha, and welcome back!

-Vivi in DC
 

Jarocha, thank you!!!!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder