Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gancho Tuesday January 26, 2010 Love: The Most Dangerous Of All Contact Sports

Yes, children, Love is dangerous. Especially in this telenovela. Jeronimo's getting a chill-inducing lesson from Jacqui's ex on how dangerous love can be. And we see where it's led Rolu into all sorts of physical injuries. And today, we're about to see poor Beto, Mauricio and Monita all sacrificed on the altar of love. And the High Priestess, Constanza? she's still riding high. Guess we have a bunch of episodes to go before she'll be a chastened and redeemed, a sadder but wiser gal. But we must hold out hope for the witch, if only to support our dear Carlos who is still in her corner. (You are still in her corner, aren't you querido?)

So...here's what happened today. Well, first of all what happened is I lost half my notes. Hit something odd on my laptop and presto!, gone. But here's what I remember (and please don't forget I just had my 70th birthday). Connie's papa Marco is explaining what happened to Jacqui's subsequent husbands. The mountain climber fell off a precipice, the next guyhad another kind of accident...burned up, maybe? the third one died of poisoning (bad smoked oysters), the French yachtsman drowned. It's all a bit murky, but you get the picture. Marrying Jacqui is fatal...and not just to your checkbook. Jero's looking like he's having a hot flash. He's so aghast he doesn't even flinch when Dad leaves him to pay the tab. Adios.

Mientras tanto, Beto is confronting Connie about her assumed affair with Pedro or Juan Legrado. Jacqui arrives and there are a lot of mother daughter glares and sneers exchanged back and forth while Jacqui explains that Beto is a little vocab-deficient, among other things, and doesn't know that a "legrado" is a curretage,( or D& C in this case, after a miscarriage.) Connie refuses to clarify but manages to temporarily convince Beto that 1) she doesn't know any Legrado and 2) oh yes, she does but it's the assistant of the lawyer handling her divorce case. Beto wonders if she was shagging the assistant to get a better deal on the divorce costs but this is hotly denied. He shuffles off, in search of better food no doubt, but first confides that he and mom are about to get kicked out of the vecindad. No problem, says Connie. I'll take care of it. After he leaves, more mama-daughter wrangling ensues. Why didn't you keep out of it? I'll keep opening my mouth as long as you keep hiding the truth, daughter of mine. With that, Constanza and Katja flounce off to meet Dad for dinner. I love you too, dear, snipes Jacqui as Connie leaves without a word. Cold. Very cold.

Okay now, speaking of hiding the truth...let's look at Xime and Rolu. He's pretending to be crippled; she's pretending to believe him. Arnoldo is about to get the 411. Here's how it goes. Xime's getting ready for yoga class. Cute lime-green velours pants suit. Nice lipstick magenta dot in middle of forehead in order to look truly Hindu. Rolu tries to persuade her to stay home. Nopis. But Arnoldo is here to keep you company. She starts to give him a little kiss. He grabs her and they launch into a big bed-rollin' smooch. Arnoldo looks on aghast. Xime skips out, reminding her cuñis to take good care of Rolu since he has a tummy ache. No wonder, with all the bacteria festering around here, yelps Arnie.

Once our sprite is out the door, Rolu send Arnie off to get something. Then leaps off bed to get the remote control. Arnie comes back. Catches him. Aghast again. How can you do this? You lied to Xime. You lied to me. It's the only way to keep me here, pleads Rolu. I've fallen in love with her. That's how love is. It sneaks up on you. (see, told you it was dangerous) Please don't let Xime know I can walk.

She already knows, sniffs Arnoldo. She said you wouldn't leave here until she was ready for you to leave. She's a lot smarter than people realize. (Amen) Let me compress the various scenes. Arnie thinks our two lovers should go see a psychiatrist. She kidnapped him and held him captive. He deliberately injured himself and is pretending to be paralyzed in order to hang around. Get help! Get medication! Get something.

Sorry, hermano. Rolu's going to plan B. If Ximen really knows he can walk, then she must be up to something. What is it? He wants Arnoldo to cozy up to Lalu (But I'm not gay, squeaks Arnie) so he can find out what's going on with Xime. Do this for me, por favor.

Okay. Not sure if I can work in "por casualidad" but mientras tanto, Xime is ostensibly trying the child's pose in yoga class. In truth, she's checking out the shapely butt of the yoga instructor. And having a heart to heart chat with Lalu. (In a real yoga class, your instructor would never put up with this chit-chat. Trust me.) But here's what you need to know. Xime really does want to unload Rolu now. But she can't break his heart the way Connie would by just dumping the guy. She has to finegle it so he falls out of love with her and goes willingly. Man, this is complicated. Guess she wasn't as forgiving of that little nurse incident as we thought. It's over for her. Now she needs for it to be over for him. Stay tuned.

So what's happening elsewhere? The barrio folks are all gathered to hear the good news from our boring little M&M. In truth, Grupo Sermeño is the mystery new owner. And Mauricio wants to give the deed to Monita. But she says no, give it to everybody. So that's the plan. Each one will be the landlord of his own little piece of the barrio. Lots of cheering, led by the generous bottomed Nieves, who wraps herself around Mauricio. Tere also thanks him, from a respectful distance. Estrella hesitates, then launches herself, climbs up his pelvis, and thanks him in her own special way. Paula attempts to follow in her footsteps by Christian wisely restrains her. Chiquitibum bimbomban and so forth. Yikes...can anvils be far behind?

Back to the apartment where a wildly laughing Xime and Lalu are back, glowing in orange (Lalu) and citrus green (Xime). They do a little twin number "Corto corto, largo, largo, otra mano para detener la corona ." Whatever. Rolu greets them by saying that Arnoldo has been all atwitter wondering where Lalu is. Lalu ecstatic. Arnie, aghast. Lots of teasing and rebuttals. (Did I just say that?) I'm not gay. I have a great pair of skin-tight jeans. I'd love to have you help me put them on. Or take them off! Wild giggling. But I'm not gay! (I'll just let you figure out who said what.) Rolu maintains that Arnie is in the closet, but no matter. Big bro' accepts him just as he is. Arnoldo aghast. More to follow. Somehow it works out that Lalu and Arnie have a date for dinner. Lalu will pick him up. Arnie hastily orders him a taxi (waving his latex-gloved hands in air) and Lalu departs. But he'll be baaaaaackk. There was some joke there about Yolanda. Was Yolanda the name of the female impersonator Lalu played at the party? Help! Final quip: Lalu says he knows Arni's closet has seven padlocks but Lalu has the key to every one of them. Stay tuned.

Now, on to our spectacular dining spot of Papa with his two darlings. There are beautiful "jets d'eau" in the background. This has to be a classy joint. But the girls are sulking like kindergartners. First Dad gushes over Katja and how she's grown while Connie sulls in the background. Then after Connie whines, he gushes over her while Katja grinds her teeth. The sniping and griping continue until Papa loses patiences. The upshot. Katja lets dad know that Connie has something on the side. It wasn't just Mauricio who was at fault in the marriage. Stop it now, let's just spend a pleasant evening together.

Dun de dun dun. In stalks Beto. Cancel that pleasant evening. He's there in all his manly stench to confront the presumed lover of Connie. So this is the old woodworm you're cheating on me with, gasps Beto. Look at those pair of legs, dude.. Those legs are mine. I kill her with pleasure. You can only get it up with those little blue pills! C'mon! That does it. We have one more aghast human being. Papa can't believe that Connie would be pregnant by this caveman.

And Beto, ever nimble, upon learning this is actually Constanza's padre, leaps into his arms, give him a stench-filled hug and calls him suegrito. I love it. But Dad didn't. Beto rubs his shoulder....

And we change scenes and see Monita rubbing Mau's shoulder. Okay. Some boring and pointless talk about how early tomorrow, after the hearing, Mau will be free and life will be happily ever after. We know that won't happen. A few lip-smacking kisses and he's off.

The sun rises. Light streams behind the clouds. A heavenly picture. But more hell to follow.

The kids are in the judge's office testifying as to what a great dad Mauricio is and what an icky stepmother Connie is. Our Constanza manages to look wounded and victimized while Mauricio only looks smug. Dang.

But wait. In walks Beto. Will he save the day? Alas, his testimony is going to be put in doubt. Nevertheless, he's about to regale everybody in the office with his and Connie's affair. You're men, you understand, right? Her husband wasn't taking care of her in THAT way, and we were hot to trot. And now she's having my baby and we're going to get married and be a family.

Connie stiffly proclaims that everything "this man" says is a lie. And the proof? Well, for one thing, she's not pregnant. In comes the gynecologist who whips out his report to show just that. And what's more, she has proof that Mauricio did not honor the pre-nuptial agreement. Roll the cameras, show the tender love chat between Monita in her postage stamp skirt, and Mauricio in his Furia Enmascarada outfit, gloating about how they put one over on la bruja Momia and soon they'll be free to live their grand amor.

Oh my. It looks bad. The judge has seen more than enough.


Outside the courtroom, a broken Beto has collapsed into Monita's arms. Connie lied to him. There's no little Betito on the way. Lies, all lies.

Inside the courtroom, an outraged judge grants our triumphant Connie all of Mauricio's worldly goods. Yesss, adds Connie, and that includes what he just recently acquired--the barrio where Miss Valentina Lopez lives. Oh no. Oh yes. Oh crap. And I'm aghast. How about you?

Previews:

Monita wants to "take it outside". Well, inside actually. She wants to fight Constanza in the ring. Whoever wins gets the barrio.

And Oscar and Constanza's papa are negotiating Marco's percentage of the shares in Sermeño Group. Forty-five percent!? This can't be good.

Vocabulary:
enchuecar = to bend, to warp, to become twisted
suerte en el juzgado = good luck in the hearing
mugre vieja = rotten bitch (sorry, sounds a bit harsh but that's pretty much what it means)

no me veas la cara = don't put on over on me, don't mess with me
no la muelas = don't screw this up
naco inculto =uneducated lowlife, dumb doofus
enchilarse = get mad, get all riled up
atrabacando = rash, reckless
pocilga = pigsty
ostiones ahumados = smoked oysters...which poisoned one of Jacqui's husbands
mantenerse al margen = to stay out of it (what Connie wishes her mother would do)
que se la pasen increible = have a really great time
traerse algo entre manos = to be up to something
el alma en un hilo = to be anguished, really worried
una porra = a cheer
candado - padlock

queveres, dando vuelo a la hilacha = some of the colorful ways Beto described how he and Constanza got it on

Dicho of the Day:

La cosa ya no tiene remedio = The fat is in the fire. Sure looks like it. But wait! here's another dicho....

Nunca está más oscuro que cuando va a amanecer. = It's always darkest before the dawn.

So okay, be a little aghast, but keep hoping too.



Labels:


Comments:
Hi evebody, I wanted to let you know that "Amor Real" is on Telefutura from 4-6 pm EST. It is the best telenovela since Corazon Salvaje (1993 with Edith Gonzales). It was produced by Carla Estrada. If you interested I can recap it for you.

It's one of the best you'll ever seen
 

I finally got an answer back from someone at the local Univision about the schedule change. Here's the word:

"The Network did not provide an explanation as to why they moved this program to the 3p time slot. The novela is very popular so I think the strategy here was to move it to a time period where we needed a boost - late afternoon."

Not very satisfying but it is something...

AmyK
 

I love your extensive vocab lists. So is an enchilada a dish which is all riled up? I'm not sure I dare look up the literal meanings for Beto's descriptions of the sessions of congress...it might be scarring. Never know with him.

Obviously I've not seen this episode yet so I'll comment on that later...but I'll take Rolu if Xime doesn't want him, now that he's reformed.
 

My oh my Miss Judy, I feel like you just took me on a roller coaster ride! This was a fab episode in spite of the anvils at the end.

Honestly my head is spinning, now Ximena wants to dump Rolu? Does she recall they are married? Maybe this is part of her plot to make him love her forever. Time will tell. The pretend-to-be-gay sorts of subplots usually irritate me because they are often very insulting, but I'm loving the actor who plays Arni so I'm optimistic here.

Out of respect for Carlos I will not air my opinion of that mugre vieja Coni. (See Judy, I'm learning the new vocab already!)

Nathalie, if you wish to recap Amor Real let Melinama know; her email address is on the home page. I admit that I have been watching it and it is amazing.
 

Hi guys. I'm happily watching the Michigan/Michigan State game and still learning to navigate with my laptop.

Yes, I was amazed that Xime now seems to want to actually divorce Rolu. I never see these things coming. I don't know if it's her short attention span or if Rolu's infidelity etc. cooled her off permanently. Maybe the yoga instructor's sublime behind has caused her to move on

Amy, thanks for getting the 411 on the Gancho time change. Now what's up with the captions? Could you get some info on that? They were awful again tonight.

Natalie, yes, let Melinama hear from you. We have a number of people who have seen Amor Real. I alas, don't get Telefutura. But I'm sure there's a CarayCaray audience for it and your recaps would be most welcome.
 

Great recap Judy. I don't know how I could follow these novelas without the recaps. Muchas gracias!

"The sun rises. Light streams behind the clouds. A heavenly picture. But more hell to follow." Fabulous.

Beto looked so crestfallen after Coni's brush off and revelation. What a nasty lady.

I'll email about the captions. I haven't used the captions the past two weeks, though, so I don't really know the problem. Can you summarize it for me?

I've also been tuning in to Amor Real. No captions and no recaps, but I'm still liking it. Is anyone else getting captions on that one?

Amy K
 

Amy, I'm still playing Amor catch-up from last week but it looks like the second hour of Friday has closed caps and they are OK, not perfect but OK.

The problems on Uni are usually: 1) the caps are non-existent, 2) caps delayed by at least a minute so nonsensical to the action, 3) words and sentences are mixed up so that real words are not formed, 4) "Univision" and "Un Gancho al Corazon" are often mixed in with the sentences or are at the beginning and end of sentences. They haven't been readable in a good long while. Judy, have I forgotten anything?

By the way, thank so much for the feedback on the time change.
 

JudyB:

This was a great recap. Thank you. Also, if I may ask, how did you become so fluent in Spanish?

This afternoon is the first time I have had the pleasure of seeing Lalu. What a doll. The "I'm not gay" bit that Arnoldo played with him reminded me of the old Abbot and Costello "Who's on first" gag. And the list of how Jaqui's husband's had passed cracked me up.

I cannot figure out how Coni and Beto could end up back together after this. What a betrayal! I still think she is lovely and I guess she could bat her big vaca eyes at him and he could come running back but it seems to me that Beto is playing more of the part of a clown than a fool in this TN. And the clowns in Gancho (Xime, Lalu, Beto) are so wise—How could Beto trust her again?
 

Judy, I'm still getting accustomed to this afternoon thing. I admit that I read your recap before watching the show. What an episode. Funny, almost uplifting at first then, doink, the scene in the judges office... devastating. As we've come to expect, your recap is pure gold. I marvel at your ability to distill the facts without losing any of the essentials and entertain us with your sharp yet delicate wit. It's like watching a skilled surgeon at work. No wasted effort. Every word necessary and appropriately chosen.

Beto was wonderful when he met Marcos, he is so adaptable to any circumstance, handling abrupt changes in climate without losing a beat. I 'll bet that he will ultimately charm the pants off (hopefully metaphorically) Señor Lerdo de Tejada.

Didn't you want to give our stinky naco a comforting hug after Coni laid waste to his hopes and dreams?

AmyK and Kris, thanks for the nice words. Elna June, Judy, Kris, and probably everyone else here in in Club Gancho, I agree, being grownup is highly over-rated.

Carlos
 

AmyK...what Sylvia said. Plus a lot of what you get looks like this:TZzo hZkIHonTsle.....not helpful!

Elna June...Alas, I am not fluent in Spanish. I took a couple of adult ed courses, which worked out to about 16 hours and taught me very little. So I just started plowing through magazines with a dictionary and plowing through telenovelas with closed captions...started trying to learn the language back in September of 2004...in the hopes I would not become senile like my mother (who was showing obvious signs by age 75...I am 70).

But not fluent at all. I understand it pretty well now. But speaking it is another matter. Understanding is a passive skill. Hope one day to be fluent but will have to put in many more years before I can swing that.
 

Hola Carlos...Baylor looking good tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for those extremely kind words. I'm basking amigo.

I felt really bad for Beto. His eyes looked absolutely empty as he came out of the judge's chambers. Not empty-evil like Isabel's, but empty-crushed-defeated-broken in spirit.

But did i want to hug him? nooooooo...I have a very sensitive nose. I love sweet-smelling people and the aroma of delicious food. Our stinky naco Beto is neither. I've been up close and personal in my day with some smelly guys (otherwise charming, of course) and I have no desire to go back!
 

Yeah, I wouldn't want to hug Beto either. Console him over the phone, sure. I get more than enough close encounters of the unwashed kind on the bus...and a few times, I've gotten off early and walked a half-mile extra to escape the stench.
 

Great recap Judy! I haven't watched the episode yet but this was another winner, even without half of your notes.

I'd take advantage of one of those few times Beto has managed to smell nice, like at the party, to hug him. I think Coni is fortunate to have a nose that filters his manly aroma.

Jarocha
 

Maybe Coni lost her sense of smell from having her nose stuck so high in the air.
 

Hi gals. Julia, your bus story reminds me of my subway experiences in Paris. Although the stench wasn't nearly as bad as the groping that went on in those packed subway cars. I understand that girls from nice families in Paris always rode first-class to escape that. I was on a very tight student budget so I just endured whatever came up on the naco cars.

Jarocha...so nice to have you with us, and your helpful, kind comments.

Carlos, Michigan just lost a heartbreaker by one point to Michigan State. Hope Baylor wins over Kansas State.
 

Woohoo Sylvia...love it!
 

Woohoo Sylvia...love it!
 

Judy, thank you for your nice comments. And you just reminded me of the buses I had to take in high school to go home every afternoon. My school was just two blocks from the port so my bus was filled with all the workers there who finished their turns at the same time and had just spent their day dealing with heavy machinery and lifting cargo in our usual 90 degrees weather. The buses were filled to their maximum so you had to walk a few blocks to the earlier stop if you wanted to get a seat (hopefully the seat next to the window).

Jarocha
 

Ah,those olfactory memories! I'll tell you, I have never stopped being profoundly grateful for indoor bathrooms and showers. I lived in some pretty spartan digs in Europe. And when we used to visit my grandparents in Pulaski, TN back in the 40's it was chamber pots, an outhouse down the lane, a well, wood-burning stove and a hound dog in the back yard that liked to toy with little bunnies before he killed them. Viva the suburbs. I'll taken modern life any day!
 

Oh the poor bunnies :(. My dads aunts (great aunts?) still have a wood-burning stove, they all live together in my great grandmother's house now that they are all old and their husbands have died. The maid who served the family for years lives in a house in their backyard and she cooks for them, the wood must do something because the food always tastes delicious.

Jarocha
 

Well, my dad's family was very poor. My grandfather was a righteos lawyer in a small Southern town. He's only took a job if he was sure the client was in the right. But he engendered 7 kids who needed to be fed,so they had a teeniny farm. And he was a lousy farmer. Sooo....whatever Grandmother managed to cook on that stove I'm sure tasted very good. Hunger is the best cook, as we say.
 

I've seen Amor Real before , and I love it, so I'm watching it again on Telefuturo. If we want to discuss it, we could post on the old brief recap that Melinama did. To reach that site, you have to go down the sidebar on the left to Melinama's recaps of Alborada. Go to the first recap and start reading the inroduction. Melinama has a link there to her Amor Real summary. We could post our comments there as the novela unfolds .
 

At least I'm sure they were happy and filled with love. Your grandfather sounds like a great man. It sounds simmilar to the story of my grandparents on my mother's side. Only my granpa was fully dedicated to his farm and selling chicken and pork. My mom was the first one to graduate university in the family.

Jarocha
 

Well, those in the family to get a higher education really had to work for it. Dad taught in a boy's school for a while to save money for school. Then worked as a night watchman, a rent collector and various other jobs to finally manage to get his civil engineering degree. Ditto for the others who had higher education. One daughter married young and had children early but the other came North, lived with my dad and mom while she went to music school. Compared to all of them (and they lived through the Depression also) we had it so easy. And our own children even more so. And so it goes.
 

Hi Susanlyn..hmmm...forgot that Melinama recapped Amor Real. Well, she can discuss that with Natalie when they connect. Sure wish they'd show it on our Univision station.
 

I think with time things become easier for those who are lucky enough to be born in families that were fortunate enough to make a nice living for themselves. One of my friends from university cut her long hair because she had offered it to the Virgin if she got lucky enough to get in. She had to work to mantain herself while she studied because her family had no money and now that she works full time she sends most of her money to her hometown. It makes me remember how lucky I was because while I am not rich by any means, I've never had to suffer from hunger.

Jarocha
 

Many peaks and valleys in the storyline but your recap rose and shone like the sun Judy. The analogy of a sacrificial altar of love with Costanza as the high priestness was perfect. The ultimate vocabulary and dicho - extraordinary.

I'm still smirking about Jeronimo's "chill-inducing lesson" and "hot flash". Excellent!

Ximena is done with Rolu?! Really?! I refuse to believe it. Could she possibly be bored now that she has him where she thinks she wanted him? Was the bad boy more alluring than the devoted husband?

Elna June, I agree that Judy's language skills are amazing. We are so fortunate to be the recipients of her magical and lyrical words.

Carlos, I would like to have given Beto a huge hug - malodorous or not. What a terrible way to learn about the baby!

Amy and Sylvia, I saw the 2 hour premiere of "Amor Real" and was totally captivated. Nathalie, I believe the "Amor Real" time may be changing (going from 2 to 1 hour) next week as a new show is being inserted into the lineup at 7:00. I could be wrong. Susanlynn, thank you for the information on the link!

Judy and Jarocha, enjoyed your posts. Thank you for sharing your stories and memories with us.

Diana
 

Good morning Jarocha. Your friend sounds like quite a gal. One with faith, both in the world beyond our daily one, and faith in herself. How wonderful tht she can help her family financially.

I was lucky enough to have parents who could pay for my undergraduate studies and I worked in order to pay for my graduate school. There were plenty of people, especially guys it seemed, whose parents footed the bill for their graduate studies as well so I felt pretty proud that I was "pulling my own weight".
 

Hi Diana. Missed your comment while I was writing mine. Thanks for those kind words and even more for 1)having faith in Ximena's and Rolu's relationship...2) giving malodorous Beto a great big hug!

We need more compassionate souls in this world-- souls who still believe in the magic of love. Keep on keepin' on, amiga.

This episode was a strange mix of highs and lows, comedy and oh no moments, and of course I'm haunted by the worry of what has happened to Salvador. He was (did I just say "was"!?) one of my favorite characters and...obviously...I'm afraid he may have met the grim reaper, with a little shove from Sir Oscar.
 

Good morning everyone. I am really enjoying the family histories. It sounds like many of us are from a generation where our parents had it tough and worked very hard so that their kids could have a better life. One of my grandfather's brothers had seven girls; the parents could only afford to put the eldest through college, after she graduated she worked to help the next, and so on down the line until all of them had college degrees. Most of them became teachers.
 

Oh dear, I refuse to believe that Sal will not be rescued!! No no no no, fingers in ears and singing la la la la.

About Amor Real, thanks Susanlynn for reminding me about the link on Pratie Place. I had forgotten how historical the telenovela is. I do hope it goes to one hour instead of two. It's a real stretch to try to watch 2 hours especially without the aid of recaps.
 

Good morning Judy, Diana, and Sylvia. Reading the family stories reminded me of one of my favorite mentors when I was an intern in Austin. She was a family physician who did a lot of OB at the city/county hospital where I was interning. She had 3 younger brothers. She went to nursing school, became an RN and working as a nurse helped put the brothers through medical school. When the last of the 3 was a senior, she, having fulfilled a promise to her parents, applied and was accepted to med school herself. She was well into her 40s when she started and was almost 50 when she graduated. The brothers in turn, helped finance her medical education. She was very proud of her brothers and had absolutely no regrets in having delayed fulfillment of her own dream. She was my hero.

I'm very concerned about a possible upcoming fight in the ring between Coni and Moni. I see no way that this can be fair since Moni is not only a trained professional boxer, but a national champion as well. How in the world can this be a fair fight? I'm hoping that they will decide on mud-wrestling instead of boxing, in the interest of fairness mind you.

Carlos
 

How great. More family stories of hardship and sacrifice...but not the embittering kind. Rather the ennobling kind. Result: Good teachers, good nurses, good doctors. Nothing better or more needed in this world.

The serendipitous exchanges that happen on this line always add so much delight to my day. Thank you amigas and amigos.

Carlos, your tongue is always so firmly in cheek, I fear you're going to hurt yourself! Mud wrestling for our babes, eh? Merely in the name of fairness.

I, of course, was immediately apprehensive too. Because I'm sure the perfidious Connie will find a way to cheat and defeat our noble Monita. And then where will we be?

Oh, right...with many more months of Gancho to go.
 

Oh, and Carlos...sorry about last night. If that was the final score I saw, did Baylor indeed lose by just two points? I HATE close losses...one always replays crucial moments and goes "If only..." whereas with a good drubbing, one can simply say," They were the better team."

Oh well, maybe that wasn't the final score. Hope not, for your sake, alma gemela.
 

Hahaha!! Carlos, just when I start taking this darn show too seriously you bring me back to earth. You're right of course, a bout between Moni and Coni would never end well. Moni is a champion boxeadora and Coni is a champion cheater. Moni is toast...
 

Judy, Baylor's loss to K State last night was truly heart-breaking. I had high hopes for our men's team this year, but this swoon is disconcerting to say the least. Our Lady Bears are struggling because of injuries but the coach is one of the best in the nation, so if there's a way, she'll find it. Brittney Griner was featured on the front page of the sports section in the Houston Chronicle today and on the front page of the sports section in USA Today as well. She's awesome.

Carlos
 

What wonderful stories of family love. Pure selflessness and devotion. I teared up a little at the generostiy of your grandfather's brother fmaily Sylvia and your mentor Carlos.

On a lighter note, as Sylvia noted that "Moni is a champion boxeadora and Coni is a champion cheater" (excellent) may I suggest a 2 part battle? The first, a slugfest, perhaps with one arm tied behind Moni's back just to level the playing field somewhat. Even with that, I have little doubt of the winner. The second, a verbal bout. No doubt of the victor here either! Therefore, it will be a draw with the winner receiving the spoils of victory (Mau) to be determined further down the road.

Diana
 

Well, it will be interesting to see what these creative writers come up with. I'm thinking maybe a wrestling match in green jello would be refreshing and Spring-like and might put many of our viewers in a better mood. You know what a downer Winter can be!
 

I certainly hope that we get an update on Sal tonight. I think that poor Mao will really be adrift if anything happens to him. I wonder if his assets that Coni takes over includes the earnings of Furia E and his racecar team. Will she get the Bat Cave? Will he end up in a homeless shelter? Will he still be involved with Groupo Sermeño?

Carlos
 

All good questions Carlos. Hurry up 3 pm!
 

Fantastic recap, Judy, and so many comments!

I'm thinking that if Ximena doesn't really love Rolu anymore, SHE is going to have some kind of accident, and he'll nurse HER, and then maybe they can both finally love each other.

I wonder if Arnie really IS gay, and doesn't know it yet. Maybe his repression of that is causing all his phobias.

I'm sure Sal is okay (well, at least not dead). It really wouldn't make any sense if he were. Of course, Gabi's going to suffer a lot more, which is tragic, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Coni's done so many bad things, why didn't they factor some into the judge's decision (although I guess we haven't really heard it yet)? She tricked Mau into sleeping with her, saying she'd give him the divorce the next day, then she told him she was pregnant with Mau's child. And she entered his lair illegally to get that tape. She's also guilty of many other things that only she, Jero and Oscar know about. She also paid off the original judge. And just now, no one thought to ask her doctor if she had been pregnant, just that she wasn't now. Mau's one transgression was coming within 10 feet of Moni.

But what was Mau's (stupid) agreement with Coni, anyway? He had to 1) marry her and 2) give up Moni. What did he GET? He didn't get the kids, since she still had custody. I guess all he got was that she wouldn't send the kids away. And then of course, if he got within 10 feet of Moni, he'd lose all his money and the kids? In a way, it's like the contract on Dinero, where the guy has agreed to pay $5 million pesos for something he really didn't do, and if he messes up one thing, he agrees to go to jail for 20 years. I really think our heroes need some better advice before they sign on the bottom line.

The only good thing is that now Mau really can be with Moni. He'll have Moni, by no Money. I'd love to see him in naco clothes.
 

Moni, BUT no Money. Whoops.
 

Why didn't Mauricio have a good lawyer helping him out there? They didn't bring up any of the nasty stuff Coni has done, aside from her affair with Beto. What about her physical abuse of the girls? The time she tried to seduce Aldo? The horrible, horrible kiddie prison she sent them to?
 

Okay Julia and Hombre...just put those thinking caps down...NOW! Mustn' overthink this. Mau clearly picked a lawyer who's as dim as he is. "Sweetly dim" was the phrase I think Elna June used.

Poor Mau tries his best to think during these challenging moments but his "best" is clearly not near good enough. And his lawyer evidently wasn't given enough information by our overconfident galan.

Mau in naco clothes? Well, he's not all that well-dressed anyway. I seem to remember a lot of warmup suits and whatnot. Oh alright, I really only remember the towel scenes. So sue me.

Hombre, I like your Xime/Rolu scenario. Diana's rooting for that romance so hope you're right. Or is Xime destined to end up with Arnoldo? And help him get beyond his obsession with bacteria?

I'm no good at predicting who's gay and who's not. Or who's gonna die. But I also hope you're right and Salvador is not truly dead. Please, please, please.
 

Add me to one who has diffuculties with the early time...I don't watch until I get home anyway which is about the old time for this show, so I will always be the day behind. Must work!

As usual wonderful hysterical recap...loved your snippet about the Lalu/ Arnoldo conversation and I agree with the Cap'n that I often cringe at these exchanges too, because they are pretty blatantly stereotyping. Ah well, to their credit we have seen a lot more tolerance our novelas lately, so the shows have gotten more with the program at least in general (think back to our HR guy on Juan Q and how they very poignantly depicted his struggle for love).
 

OOOOHHHHH and HOMBRE and VIVI - LOVE your new sidebar photos!!!!!! They are beautiful!!!!!!!
 

Judy, you're right. Thinking, boo. Everything will work out fine in the end, lalalalala, now doesn't someone need to take a shower?
 

Hi Kris....no matter what Lalu does, I love him. I guess I've gotten so used to these shows being politically incorrect when it comes to gayness (although Jack, in whatever that show was, certainly got flamboyant...but it was balanced by his more urbane friend...) well, anyway, good to hear from you Kris...I'll hand the baton off to you sometime this evening when you make it to the DVR and see this afternoon's show. We're not getting pre-empted by the President's speech like Sortilegio.

Julia..yes, shower time. Now that Mauricio is going to be poor, perhaps the towel will be really really skimpy. We can but hope.
 

Cap'n ~~Glad that you found Melinama's quick recap of Amor Real. Had you watched Amor Real before ? It's such an excellent novela in every way. I am having fun watching it again, and I think that Hub is getting interested in it , too. He asks me what the actors are saying, and I translate by embellishing the 3 words that I recognize in a scene. It impresses him. [You'd think that he'd know me better by now...but no...he actually thinks I can understand Spanish.]
 

Susanlynn, during Alborada days I purchased the Amor Real DVD upon your recommendation. I very much enjoyed it even though I knew it was heavily edited. The full-length version is of course superior, however there is way too much of Mathilde whimpering. Every night I think "Stop the whining you boob! Just suck it up and boink the hottie." But of course she (and they all) must voyage through their archetypal journies before the truth is revealed to them. Sigh...
 

Cap'n~~~HA...Today I was able to add two phrases to my collection of quotes, my compendium of words of wisdom as it were. First, my Chinese student was writing about punctuality , and she provided this ancient adage : ''Time is gold, but gold cannot buy time.'' And now your bit of wisdom : ''Boink the hottie.'' Succinct. I like the way you cut to the chase. Words to live by, verdad ? As for Amor Real and hottie Manuel, he is a male chauvinist pig in this novela and not a gallant and noble hero in many ways [jealous, boozing, qicktempered, rough] , but he is muy hot. Although I would like his hair combed away from his beautiful face. The boots and three quarter coat , on the other hand, are doing it for me. P.S. I think I hate Chantal Andere's Antonia character even more than I hate Raqhell in Sortilegio. Antonia is such a sneaky snake...and her ''nana''..I'd say she's acting more like a madame than a nana ..tutoring Antonia on how to snare Manuel. Bleecchhh. Well, on to the bath tub and al fresco lovemaking scenes . Who says television is a vast wasteland ?
 

Early on in the Sorti run we had a few lively discussions about the portrayal of gay characters on TNs. I wasn't so happy with what I had seen so far—although Obregon in his tutu leading the can-can at the end of MEPS WAS hysterical—but Lalu seems to be written very sympathetically. I sure think he's a doll.

Boy am i glad I came on down to Gancholand. Sorti has turned into a real drag and William Levy's smiling face is barely interesting enough to keep me going back. Things are lively over here and I am really intrigued by the Coni Beto pairing. As I said in my earlier post, even if they have true LUUUUVVV, I don't see how these two can stay together. Writers, surprise us!

I am taping Amor Real and will try to watch it when I get back in town.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder