Monday, February 01, 2010

un Gancho al Corazón Mon. 2/1/10 You Never Brought Me Flowers

The kiddos, Aldo, Luisa. and Dani, have fled the evil castle controlled now by a misunderstood, misguided Coni. OK, OK, she has been a real pain in the butt here lately. She has unresolved issues but has not killed anyone... yet. They are with Moni and Mao at Moni's place. Moni reminds them of the first time they met. Yes, Aldo remembers, "You knocked out the thugs that were threatening us." "I will always protect you," but for now, they must return and stay with the cruel stepmother. Surprisingly, they understand.

Marcos is alone in his room with Isabel.They agree that Monita and Coni must not learn the truth. Isabel agrees to cooperate with Marcos... for now. Annoyed that he went to see Nieves and seeming to have plans for him herself, she grabs and kisses him. He resists , pushes her away, and is rescued by a knock at the door. He checks. He orders Isabel to hide. "It's my ex-wife!" Indeed, it's Jaqui, looking smart in a leather with a collar donated by a fox who is now shivering in the cold up north somewhere. I wonder if the PETA people have any more luck with their Emails than we do. They exchange pleasant greetings demonstrating their deep lingering affection for each other. She tells him that he is but a shadow of his former self. He counters that it is because he is not addicted to the placentas of mandrills as she is.They make a cute if volatile couple.

As Mao, Moni, and the kiddos walk bravely through the patio, Dani is still cradled in Mao's loving arms, wrapped in a blue blankee with pink bears, oblivious to all that has been going on around her. They encounter Teri, returning to the barrio. She of course is glad to see them, but relieved to hear that they are returning to the manor to face up to a wrathful Coni. She is proud of the maturity they are demonstrating. She predicts that they will all be reunited as a happy family soon. Huggies all around and Mauricio departs with the children. Teri reassures Moni that everything will workout. Moni looks... hopeful.

In their apartment (how many bedrooms does that place have?) Ximena, Rolu, Jero, and Arnie are seated around the table for dinner. They are awaiting Lalo who is invited but has not yet arrived. Tempers are a little frayed and bickering is the predominant mood. Jerónimo is looking forward to seeing Lalo who always lifts his spirits. He is bemoaning his recent turn of fortune and his betrayal by best bud Oscar. "After all we've been through. After that night together. It was a friendship strengthening thing," he hurries to add. I would guess so. "I don't deserve this!" Ximena asks, "May I tell you three things?" May I choke you three times?" he snaps back. Ignoring his surliness, Ximena observes a bright spot in all of this, "Im the only Sermeño left in the company! The company is now all about me." Rolu, counsels selling her part Jero sees this as an appropriate time to reveal his deep abiding affection, admiration, and devotion for his beloved sister and to remind her of his birthday coming up. Her shares would be a sweet gift. Arnie opines that the wise thing would be to hold on to her shares, her patrimony, but Rolu insists that she sell. Suddenly our dark-haired duena feels the pressure.

More fun with Jaqui and Marcos. These two seem evenly matched and the electricity veritably crackles between them. She wonders why he's in Mexico. "To be close to my daughters." He notes how lovely she is as a result of her collagen treatments. "Always trying to look younger for the youner men. They reminisce over her past husbands. They discuss her current relationship with Jero. He needles her that now that he has Jero's shares, he won't be able to pay for her BoTox. She wonders about his implying to Jero that he was responsible for the deaths of her subsequent four husbands. He asks pardon for taking advantage of her good fortune, "they all died." "Not such good luck... you're still alive," she observes. Well he has something for her. He takes a small box from a drawer and shows her... "Black pearls!" she's impressed. She admits that he's still an attractive man. They embrace. They kiss. The closet door concealing Jaqui cracks open. She peers out. What a sour expression.

The doorbell rings. Ximena is excited, "It's Lalo!" She insists that Arnie get it. He balks. Jero offers and gets up. "Sit!" Jemena orders, adding pleadingly, "porfis." She insists some more and Arnie reluctantly complies. Lalo dances gayly in, he has a bouquet which he enthusiastically offers to Arnie who hestates, then accepts. Jero, mumbling, grumbles, "You never brought me flowers." Ximena is delighted. Arnie prays for the earth to swallow him up.

Beto is suffering, but this time from his hangover. Moni seems to him to be shouting. He needs something to eat. "Nieves isn't here." He hurts. Moni notes his contusions and abrasions. "No, what hurts is my heart... well, OK my head, too." Moni gives him a hug and eases him into a chair at the patio table. She consoles. He announces, "I'm done with women." Moni's skeptical. I'm going to dedicate my life to el Señor. I'm going to become a priest." He gazes piously toward heaven. Moni is speechless. We are delighted . Padre Beto, who knew?

As Jaqui admires the pearls, Marcos tells her to forget Jerónimo, she deserves better. "Jerónimo is my slave, my doggy, my pet, I want to keep him happy," she rationalizes. She asks why he wants Jero's shares in th company and he cautions her not to meddle in his business. A knock at the door. He checks ."You must hide!" He wrestles a complaining Jaqui into a closet. He answers the door. "Nieves, what a great, pleasant surprise!"Her proud, erect stance is only slightly diminished by the unicorn she is clutcing to her bosom. He inites her inside and she complies, turning to face him. She admits that yes, she still loves him. He seizes her and kisses her. She responds enthusiastically. The poor little unicorn is crushed between them, a victim of their passion. Through a crack in the bathroom door, Isabel looks on disapprovingly (though who can really tell what this sour old biddy is thinking?). Jaqui peeking out through a cracked open closet door seems bemused with a knowing smile,"Ummm."

Meintras Tanto, Moni has recovered her voice. Don't talk crazy. A priest." He's serious. Sure. She saw him getting drunk on sacramental wine and stealing from the alms box to play cards. He is adamant. He must still be drunk so she offers him coffee. No, he has a hangover but otherwise he's perfectly sober. Coni has wrecked his plans. Now he only wishes to see her and Mao happy and procreating. He cautions her not to laugh. She struggles to keep a straight face. He continues, he will become a priest, perform their wedding, baptize their children, preside at their first communions, perform their weddings. Once again, Moni is speechless.

Nieves recovers her composure and pulls away from Marcos. "You have your reply, now I'm going." He asserts his love and implores her to stay. Nope, she's got her life and a man who loves her and treats her well, and he's the king of boxing. "Do you love him?" She ignores the question and starts out but notices the black pearls. "Black marbles?" "No, black pearls. I got them for you." "They're extremely ugly." Jaqui seethes and scowls from the closet.

Coni's home. She is joined by Katia who greets her with the news that the kids have packed their bags an left. She is put out that Katia let them leave. "I'm not their nana." Coni figures that Mao must have taken and hidden them somewhere. She'll have him put in jail. Just then Mao appears with the wayward children. "No need, here are my children," Mao announces.

Moni's still trying to get her arms around Beto's career plans. She points out the responsibilities and the thing he will have to forego. Drinking, carousing, women. He ponders, then replies that if he can't have Constanza, he wants no other woman. Wow, I believe.

Mao tells Coni that he will fight to have the children, but he won't fight dirty. He reminds the kids of his love and sends them off to bed. Coni reminds him that this is no longer his house but he needs to stay and talk a bit. He warns her that Moni is an experienced boxer (exactly what I have said) and that there is no way she can compete at her level. She reminds him that her became a world class luchador overnight. Well yes, there's that. He then tells her that he knows that she's met with Isabel.

Nieves is not impressed. She prefers her own more colorful, happy beads, thank you very much. She extends her hand. He kisses it. "I have no place in my life for you," she says as she proudly sashays out. Jaqui erupts from the closet and administers a wickedly serious slap. Ouch! "Thanks for reminding me of all the reasons I detest you!" Ouch, again. "Now I know where my daughter gets her taste for these jackals. I'll take my pearls. You offered this exquisite necklace to that woman who would know fine herbs from epasote. She leaves as Isabel emerges from the bathroom. (Elna June, are you noting a similarity to Moliére here?) "Vaya, looks like all your women decided to visit you at the same time." She warns him to stay away from Valentina (Monita) and he tells her to stay away from Coni. She agrees but tells him to tell la momia to stay clear of her. She is sure that knowing that Isabel is alive, Coni will at sometime use it against Moni. Alas, I fear she is right. She is leaving but pauses and turns to remind him,"The ball is in your court."

Coni doesn't know if she feels sorry for, or despises Mau. They spar over Mao helping Isabel deceive Monita. Coni doubts that Moni will understand. "I did it for love," he objects, the sort of thing Coni couldn't understand. Sacrifice. "Yeah, tell your little monkey that.Maybe everything will be alright. But you and I know it won't be. She'll never forgive you." I'm afraid Coni won that round.

Mao pounds on Beto's door. Beto's head is still pounding itself. "Come in my son, welcome to my humble abode." He tells Mao that he woke up with a clear head and is through with women. Like Moni, Mao is trying not to laugh. Beto tells him of his noble plan. Mao smiles and says that he's glad Nieves isn't here for he needs to talk with Beto. As long as he speaks softly Beto pleads. Mao announces, "Isabel is back."

Rolu and Arnie are seated at the table as Ximena comes down, looking fetching in brown wool. "Arnie made you breakfast," Rolu announces. Ximy has other plans, sorry. Lalo has invited her for breakfast. "Any message for Lalo Arnie?" "No." "Fine, I'll invent something." Wait, Arnie utters some inanities. "Better I make up something," and off she goes. "You see, she's going to tell him that I'm in love with him. I'm not gay!" "Yeah, but what's important is what's happening to me. I'm losing her. What am I going to do?" Rolu hasn't strayed far from his self-centered roots.

Beto is sure that Isabel is up to no good. Mao says that she says she's here to help. He tells Beto that Isabel has told him of a man who has arrived to upset Monita's life. She has insisted that he take Moni away. Beto thinks that there is no man and that Isabel and Coni have joined forces to annoy Monita. Mao tell Beto that they must confront the truth. Beto has his own problems and a killer hangover, but OK.

Beto has recovered enough to confront Coni in her lair. He calls out for her and she comes running. She attempts a hug but he holds her at bay. She tells him that she is so sad that she lost her child. She feels empty. He lights into her. She is empty. She has no heart or soul. She hurts everyone around her. "I'm not going to let you hurt Moni anymore." He will be like a scorpion. "Are you threatening me?" "Yes."

Rolu is venting. Should he continue pretending he can't walk? "You're wasting your time, she's on to you." Rolu can't imagine why Arnie thinks Ximy is so smart, "She doesn't even know what to do with her partnership shares. " "You gave her bad advice." "Don't meddle in what is not your concern." This fraternal chat is interrupted by the doorbell. Arnie gets it. "Buenos días." It's Marcos. He's looking for Rolando Klunder. "Pase, por favor." He enters and smiles a carnivorous smile at Rolu.

More Beto and Coni. This is painful for me. He tells her of his plans to give up women and become a priest. She doesnot want to lose him. Nor he, her. He has a huge heart. He wants her to be the mother of his children. He is willing to forgive her for everything she has done, but she must choose, "Our love or your vengeance."

Isabel is in her room, there is a knock at the door. "Qué haces aquí, Mauricio?" Mao is here to take her to see Valentina. Time to come clean.

Carlos

Labels:


Comments:
Sounds like this was quite an episode. Love the musical title (oh how I can remember mooning around to "You don't bring me flowers anymore"...embarassing) and the shout out to Molière, and wish I could have seen the Marco/Nieves clinch with the animal purse sandwich. That must have been something! Recording didn't work, but I think my son has fixed it.

Carlos, I think you're making a believer out of me. Connie will be redeemed. Somehow our Beto is going to make that happen.

But is Rolu flipping back to the bad side? Joining forces with the lieges of darkness? (is "lieges" a word? do I care?) And does that mean Xime is to end up with Arnoldo? Wow...this baby still has me on tenterhooks.

Speaking of...sorry about the lady Baylor Bears. I persuaded my husband to switch to their game during golf match ads(why would anyone want to play golf much less watch it?) and we did see Brittney prevail against that huge bullying Texas center, but overall, your team just seem to be outmatched. Why was the little blonde Baylor playe on the bench though? I remember her from last year. Oh well...tournament still to come. We'll sort this out.
 

Good morning Carlos and Judy.

What an excellent, witty recap. So many wonderful lines but my favorites were "dark haired duena" and "placentas of mandrills". I thought this was superb Carlos.

My heavens, Marcos is a very busy man. Needless to say, I enjoyed the revolving door and the fact Marcos has gotten away with nothing, well at least as far as Isabel and Jaqui are concerned.

The lovely Ximena notes "The company is now all about me." Ximena, it is ALL about you! In order for Rolu to havve any chance of rekindling Ximena's love, he should enlist Arnie and Lalo to help and quickly. He has pierced Ximean's gentle heart and now must make heartfelt amends.

Shame on Jero for his gentle jealousy of Lalo and for the unneccessary, unkind "may I choke you 3 times". Thankfully, he still has Jaqui who is very devoted to "her slave".

Of course, the picture of Beto was the icing on the cake. Seeing his face made me smile. Judy, I totally agree - if Coni is redeemed, it will be because of Beto. I hope you are feeling better and am sending good thoughts your way.

Diana
 

Good morning all. Carlos, this was a marvelous recap of a wonderful episode. I agree it was very Molieresque. The scene with Marcos trying to juggle all his dames was a hoot. There was some first-rate acting going on there. I almost fell off my chair laughing when you described the poor little unicorn as a victim of their passion.

The last scene with Beto and Coni blew me away. Is she now becoming one of our archetypal heroes, having to journey through the dark recesses of her own soul to fight the demons within herself if she's to emerge wiser and victorious on the other side? Will our Beto be her spiritual guide, the being who helps her find her true, good self and who helps her stop being her own worst enemy? I know it won't happen overnight because we still have too much time left, but maybe?

Speaking of seeing the light, has Mau finally wised up regarding Isabel? After his lecture to the kiddies will he take his own advice and face his biggest problem head on?

I don't understand why Rolu would want Ximena to get rid of her shares of the company. That didn't make sense to me.

Great link on epazote, very interesting. I love the stuff myself although it does have an unusual aroma and flavor.

Carlos, thanks very much for the awesome recap. I loved this episode and your recap was perfectly delightful!
 

Good morning, Judy, Diana, and Sylvia. One can't be certain, but it looks more hopeful that Coni will shape up, though will she be as interesting a character if she becomes a goody-two-shoes? maybe she will end up donating a kidney or something to her sister.

I suggest that there is less to Marcos than meets the eye. He doesn't seem to be quite the gangster that he likes people to think he is. He certainly has got his bluff in on Jero, however. And don't he and Jaqui make a lively couple. And wasn't Nieves the picture of grace and dignity, the unicorn not withstanding?

Carlos
 

"...the unicorn notwithstanding", for some reason this just made me laugh out loud. My work compadres are giving me a very weird look and of course I can't explain why I'm giggling.
 

Judyb and Carlos~~~Will you be setting sail with the Capn Sylvia and I on SS Corazon Salvaje ??? The summary promises that we will ''vibrate with force and passion.'' Who could resist an offer of a voyage of vibrating force and passion???? Make your reservations now. Sylvia and I will meet you on the Lido deck for cocktails . ~~~Susanlynn, forcefully and passionately packing her valise as she searches for her antiseasickness patch
 

Ahoy matey, just think muy pronto we will be vibrating with force and passion! Who's gonna have time to be seasick?
 

Cap'n~~~Do you know where I can get one of those fancy hats that Regina wears ?~~~Susanlynn, already vibrating a little )))))))
 

Excellent recap, Carlos. I love all of your descriptions of the ladies, such as "Jaqui, looking smart in leather with a collar donated by a fox", Ximena "our dark-haired duena", and Nieves, whose "proud, erect stance is only slightly diminished by the unicorn she is clutching to her bosom". Too much!

We really don't know what Coni is going to say in answer to Beto's challenge. She has to choose between love and vengeance. At this point, I'm betting she's still going to choose vengeance, but we'll see.

Mau has the right idea of taking Isabel to see Moni, and getting the truth out, but somehow I think something will go wrong.

I, too, preferred Nieves' colorful beads to those black pearls.
 

Hi Susanlynn...well, of course Sylvia and I will be watching with you. Even if it's a piece of total dreck, I'm gonna do it, just to read your passionate vibrating response to our elderly galan. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Although I always start out saying I'm done with the 9 pm show. you and the snazzy recappers always draw me back in. So I'm caving early this time!
 

Superb. Such splendid style.

Connie "has been a real pain in the butt here lately"...! I like how you don't overstate the case.

I too think Constanza will choose revenge, but I'm hoping she'll at least give up the kids to appease Beto somewhat. Those poor things have been used as pawns for too long. It's fine with me if she continues to take all Mauron's (stealing that from the Sorti line) money and even tries to separate him from Monita, but leave the kids out of it. Maybe someone could convince her that it would be punishing for Mau to have the kids, since he now has no money to support them and no home.

Jero was so funny, reminiscing on his night spent with Lalo and Oski. Too bad he doesn't remember more of the bonding experience.
 

Carlos:

What a masterful recap. I can't say often enough how much I appreciate you and all the other recappers, especially when the dialogue starts moving at the speed of light.

Such a fun episode. I truly enjoyed the Marcos scene. Like Moliere? I think so, although I have never seen any of his work actually performed. It reminded me of Michael Frayn's delicious froth, "Noises Off".

As to Team Coni (Carlos et al), I have enjoyed the actress in my short stint over here in Gancholandia, but last night I did not find her so appealing. I don't think she was charming Beto either and I loved his ultimatum. Revenge or our love...how succinct. On a catty note, I think Coni's makup people need to give her a little lipgloss. Her mouth looked dry and cracked to me. Must be the winter weather.

What do you all think about Arnoldo? He is OCD, of course, but is he gay?

I don't like Rolu much. I want Ximena to end up with a dashing galan who really appreciates her quirky charm. She is darling and she always makes me smile.
 

I don't think Arni is gay. I think he is quite smitten with Ximena. He doesn't seem to mind terribly when she touches him.

It was odd when Xime messed up the stuff on the table, and Arni rearranged it without gloves or tissues. Does his need for order trump his germophobia?
 

PSA...In the interest of expanding your Spanish vocabulary, you can stop by last night's Sort-of-helio recap and jot down all the synonyms for ''ramera'' in your notebooks. ~~''Knowledge is power.''
 

Hombre, given the number of episodes left, I'm afraid that you are right, Coni likely will opt for vengeance, ever though it appeared that Beto may have melted her heart (I do think she actually has one). We have some things pending that'll be too much fun to be canceled by a Coni conversion. The upcoming battle of bantamweights, Beto's call to the priesthood, Coni's pending alliance with Isabel, Aldo's dalliance with drugs (this I don't look forward to but it's already out there), to name a few that come to mind.

Elna June, "is Arnie gay?" I think with his obsession with bugs (the microscopic variety) he probably hasn't even given it much thought. He seems to be repelled by the thought of any physical contact between humans of either sex. As for Ximena, my own preference is very unlikely... Lalo. They are so great together and have both noticed (and been frightened by) the attraction. A whim of cupid if you will.

Carlos
 

Carlos:

Lalo and Xime? Is this to be a loving but sexless union? Hmmm, interesting. I think such delightful characters should be granted happiness by the telenovlea fairy godparents.

Happiness and romantic connection are not always synonymous, as we have surely seen.
 

Judy B:

When you lived in France, was Moliere performed regularly? It seems that I will have to look for a Moliere performance that I can get to, someday, somewhere. For any of you familiar with him...what play should I read? Are therer good performances on film?

All recommendations are sincerely appreciated.

EJ
 

Hey there,

didn't get to a computer all weekend and was super busy yesterday with a meeting last night and everything but wanted to mention I LOVED hombre's rhyme...you are always so creative at those things,wonderful! We need you to put them to music and then make a CD for all of us of Gancho diddies. That would be super fun!!

Carlos, what can I say, as usual, fun stuff - I loved your note abut the sour old bitty -yep indeed, perfect. beto becoming a priest is an interesting concept...I cringe too when I read that he gave up and wanted to go back to Coni ...too easy..she needs much tougher love.

Thanks guys, you make missing this show a joy, knowing I can catch up with such fun!
 

Elna June..there was one theatre in Paris that specialized in classical plays...Corneille, Racine and Molière. My favorite comedy is Le Malade Imaginaire. No translation needed, right? There's also Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme and lots more.

How about you, Carlos? What's your favorite?
 

Elna June, Judy of course is the French expert, but my English teacher in high school, Agnes Ann McKinley (I had the same teacher for 3yrs.) had us read a translation of Moliére's School for Wives which even as a high school senior, I thought was wonderful. We also learned a bit about other plays, she thought that
it was important for us to learn about French comedy of manners. I think Tartuffe is his most well-known play. She's the same lady who imbued me with a love of the English language, though, God knows, I abuse it almost as much as I use it.

Carlos
 

JudyB and Carlos:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will grab these plays the next time I am in a decent used bookstore. This is an area (French comedy or really, French literature in general) in which I am very poorly educated. I look forward to filling just in a few (of the many) blanks in my knowledge.

Thanks, again...

EJ
 

Elna June, though not by Moliére, and not a play, may I recommend a novella in Spanish that my Profa had me read early on and we even revisited it a couple of years later, el Sombrero de Tres Picos by Pedro Antonio de Arlacón. It is very much in the spirit of Moliére and is absolutely hilarious. It is one of the funniest things I have ever read in Spanish or English. The style of writing is awesome and very tasty. It is also one of the few Spanish classics that we have read that is not dark and somber.

Carlos
 

Carlos, thanks for the book recommendation. Since El Sombrero de Tres Picos was written long ago, it's in the public domain, and can be freely read or downloaded from Google Books or Gutenberg.Org. I'm definitely going to take a look (but first I have to finish reading Harry Potter 3 in Spanish)!
 

Hombre, the first full length book zi read in Spanish was a translation of The Da Vinci Code. I was thrilled once I got started at how quickly I adapted. I've found that reading the first couple of chapters of a book by an author new to me is a bit difficult, but once accustomed to the writer's style and vocabulary, it goes smoothly. The exception is is the guy I'm reading now, Roberto Bolaño. I read Detectives Salvages and we're now reading 2666. He changes writing styles frequently and seems to have a bottomless vocabulary well. Sometimes his sentences will go on for pages. At times maddening but immensely fun.

I guarantee that you will enjoy el Sombrero de Tres Picos and will probably catch yourself laughing out loud .

Carlos
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder