Wednesday, October 20, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #53-54 10/20/10 The phone rings and the world changes.

Read Kim's original recap, the section called “Missing Recap 35: Pimp My Boss.” Then come back here to discuss it.

I know todays two scene lists are particularly long. So much significant stuff happened, I couldn’t bear to ignore it.


Capitulo 53

1. Luigi gives the board a preview of the show, and Fatima practically does a lap dance for Fern.

2. The agent finishes the inventory, and the embargo is now finalized. Sanchez invites Fernando to bribe him to stop the embargo. Lety goes after Omar like a rabid dog because of his choice of attorney.

3. Fernando is burdened with guilt because he’s lost the company to Lety.

4. Fatima locks Lety out and chases Fernando. Lety detours Marcia and hides Fatima under her desk. Fernando asks Lety why he attracts all the locas. Lety giggles and says it’s not only locas. She says it’s because he’s like a superhero. He likes the sound of that.

5. Ali tells Marcia she’s sure Lety hid Fatima. Marcia reams out Fernando. Then she attacks Lety, saying that her job is Fernando’s alcahuete (one who procures women). Lety says, “I’m here for my work.” Marcia says, “For me, you’re my obstacle.” Luigi tells Marcia it’s too late to fire Fatima.

6. See the transcript. Fernando feels awful for how Lety was treated. He says Lety is his guardian angel. They hear her phone call and realize Tomás knows about the embargo. Omar sees it as a threat and plants doubts in Fernando. (Notice Fernando’s eyes vibrate as Omar is raising doubts.)

7. Jealous Paula tells Saimon that Jaz is just using him, and it won’t go anywhere because she’s living with Efren. He says, “What should I do? You reject me, so let me enjoy this illusion while I can.”

8. Fernando confronts Lety. She admits Tom knows about the embargo. She couldn’t meet Sanchez in a bar alone. And Tom had to know since he handles all the money. She assures them, he’s trustworthy.

9. Lety feels bad that she’s deceiving Sanchez about the true nature of the embargo. Tomás says that if Sanchez knew the debt was part of a fraud, he’d do things Lety wouldn’t like.


Capitulo 54

Read Kim's original recap, the section called “Lety gets a phone call FROM A BOY!!.” Then come back here to discuss it.

1. Marcia tells Fernando that since he can’t fire Fatima, she wants Lety’s head because she procures his women. Fern refuses – the company can’t exist without her. Marcia snarks, “What, does she already own the company?”

2. Fernando asks Luigi to fire Fatima because she’s crazy. Luigi says, “If she pursues you, it’s not the work of the Holy Spirit, nor because you’re the most attractive man in the universe.* The animal inside dominates you. You attract them, you seduce them, and then you throw them in the trash.”

3. Marta answers Lety’s phone. Lety comes back, and Marta tells her, “Guess who called? Your novio, Tomás Mora!” Fern tells Omar. “They talked about it right in front of me! As if I didn’t exist!”

4. Omar says he should’ve investigated her better. Fernando says now they depend on someone they don’t know. They agree they can’t ask Lety about her intimate life but, Fern says, “Her intimate life is intimately inter-related with MY life!” Omar says it doesn’t change anything if she’s in love. That startles Fern, and Omar teases that Fern is jealous of Tomás.

5. Lety gives Marcia cash to pay event staff. Marcia is insulted that Lety asks for a receipt. Fernando tells Omar it’ll be a wild night. Fatima with a fatal attraction, Marcia on the warpath, and Lety has a novio. He can’t concentrate on his work. He challenges Lety, and she says Tom isn’t her novio. The cuartel made that up.

6. Fernando is bursting with happiness. He tells Omar that Lety does not have a novio. Everything’s back to normal, and she didn’t hide anything from him. He plays with Omar’s toys like a little boy. Omar thinks that rumors always carry some truth.** Fern wants Omar to investigate with the cuartel, but Omar says Fern hatched the embargo plan, so Fern has to investigate.

7. Alicia provokes the cuartel, saying they’re not good enough to go to the launch. So Lety tells Ali that the cuartel WILL go to the launch. Ali tattles to Marcia. Marcia tells Lety she’s just a lowly employee, not the owner.

8. Fernando gets Marta to gossip about Lety. She says Tom is not her novio, but she’s mad about him. Juana said he’d change her life and she’d change his. He’s intelligent, rich, and very sexy. Marta makes Fern promise not to tell Lety what she said, “Cross my heart, ho-kay.”

9. Marta says Tom is not really her novio, just her amor platonico.*** She says he doesn’t even notice her. But now her luck is changing – she’s hit the jackpot! Fern asks how reliable Juana’s predictions are. Marta says they’re usually right, “but Juana also said, ‘terrible times were coming to Conceptos,’ and look! Things couldn’t be better!” QUE???!!!


* Note: Luigi tells Fernando he’s not the most attractive man in the universe. (That would be TBLMOE!) It wasn’t until a year later that Camil was named #1 in People en español’s Hombres más guapos, 2007.

**Today’s dicho. Omar tells Fernando, “Cuando el río suena, agua lleva.” When you hear the river it is because it carries water. (If a rumor is popular, it has some truth in it.)

*** Note: Amor platonico is an impossible love. Like, if you were in love with your history teacher (does a crush on Don Fernando count?).

Tune in tomorrow!
It Was a Dark and Stormy Dawn.
What will the cuartel do with the lab results?




Spanish Lesson. Cap 53, First Suspicions.
I wrote today’s Spanish Lesson because I had already transcribed it a few years ago. It's a rather loose translation.

F: Marcia really laid into Lety, horribly
O: Careful! Don’t let her be upset! You know what Lety has in her hands.
F: Enough paranoia. Lety is my guardian angel.
They overhear her phonecon with Tomas. They realize he knows about the embargo.
O: Didn’t you tell her, no one could know about the embargo except us three (it was not supposed to leave us three)? Didn’t you hear what she said to the guy who calls her all the time? She told him about the embargo! Wouldn’t it be good to ask her what’s going on? I don’t like it one bit. Tell me one thing. Do you know this so-called Tomas? Personally?
F: No, I’ve never seen him.
O: Nor do you know what he can carry between his hands? (?) Don’t you think you should already know who it is around Lety? Or to put it a better way, to know who is behind the woman who holds your company in her hands? Or, and hear me well, don’t you think you should know more about her?
F: No Omar, I’m not about to distrust Lety. On the contrary. Every day she convinces me more, the class of woman she is. And her loyalty toward me.
O: I agree. I have no doubts about her either. What’s more, we both would put our hands in the fire for Lety. She’s honest, upright, best intentions toward you. But don’t forget, she comes from a poor family. She’s never had $40M.
F: What, you think that money will [corrupt?] her? That she’ll take my company? Omar, I have enough problems, without inventing extra ones. Above all these problems, know this: you can’t suspect Lety of something so serious (poner en tela de juicio, to question). Have you forgotten? She rejected the CineRent bribe, for loyalty to me.
O: Yeah, but lest you forget, she didn’t reject it at first.
F: She’s human. She has the right to [stumble?]. What did she do in the end?
O: Yeah, fine. But that was 500K pesos. Now we’re talking millions of dollars. But fine. We won’t discuss Lety’s honesty. But be careful. [Someone could poison her. (?)] Don’t forget that someone could influence her to betray you.
F: I know her family. They are not that type of people.
O: Fine. And what can you tell me about that Tomas?

Labels:


Comments:
Whew. This one I was able to see. Thanks for including the dicho, Paula. And it was Omar who said it, not Irmita, who usually has one dicho at least per episode.

Love it that Fernando is feeling threatened by Lety having a novio. Also adored the scene where he and Omar were twirling Jazmin around like a top and passing her back and forth. That and his impromptu dances with Saimon are just pure delight. Man can Jaime Camil move his body! Poetry in motion.
 

Absolutely, Judy! When Fatima was chasing him around the room - it was like watching Baryshnikov, one beautiful move after another!

Once again, Sergio cracked up Camil. In the dressing room, when Fernando asked Luigi to fire Fatima, and Luigi said, “Tell Marcia to cover her eyes.” Camil’s hand darted up to cover his laugh, but not fast enough.

Marta, help! Fern tells Marcia that Luigi refused to fire Fatima. Marcia says, “Parece que éste no va a hacer tu día, mi amor.” Huh? The words translate as, “It seems that this will not make your day, my love.” What does it mean? If she would’ve said, ‘no va a ESTAR tu día,’ that would’ve made sense.

We're starting to see more of the contrast between Lety and Marcia.
* Lety & Marcia leave Fern’s office. Lety smiles, Fern smiles back. Marcia sneers, Fernando sneers back.
* Lety tells Fernando, "You’re like a superhero." Lety leaves and Marcia enters, and she reams out Fernando about Fatima.
* Fern feels awful for how harsh Marcia was to Lety. But for Marcia's pain? Nada.
* He is getting more annoyed with Marcia by the day. He tells Omar and Lety, “Today, either I kill her or she kills me.”

What do you make of Fernando’s reaction to the Novio Tomas news? Is there any jealousy in the mix?
 

In summary, what did Fernando discover today?

1. Tomás knows about the embargo.
2. Lety has a boyfriend, and it’s Tomas. Later clarified – he’s not her boyfriend. She’s in love with him but he has no interest in her.
3. Juana said he would change her life and she’d change his.
4. Juana’s predictions are amazingly accurate.

Definitely a transitional moment.
 

Judy you are right about how well Jamie uses his body. All really good actors know how to convey emotion with their body and he is a master at it. I've always noticed that on the other hand Colunga does not move well.

The little gossip scene with Fern and Marta was hilarious. He is definitely uneasy with the thought that there might be a man in Letty's life. i suspect that a lot of that is caused by the fact that he is used to being the center of attention with women and just assumed that it would be the same with poor Letty.
 

Hi Decie Girl. Great to see you on the blog again.

Colunga is no dancer, that's for sure, but he DOES look good on a horse. Maybe it's because he's muscle-bound from all that weight-training.

Camil is extraordinary though. I've never seen anyone, other than a trained and talented dancer, move the way that he does. Yowsa.
 

I'm so surprised LFMB is getting this much space, again, especially since its a repeat of a noon airing and the original recaps are still on the site. It's like opening up to Caray! caray! and ...woah....a lot of LFMB. Not to say the novella wasen't great. Just surprising to see this. That's all. I'm used to the way it was pre-LFMB repeats when the current Univision prime-time novellas took front and center on the site. Also interesting to see the novella that's airing at midnight getting coverage. Must all be a sign this site is really taking off to be able to cover the non-prime-timers and reruns in such depth.

Dona Felipa
 

Judy, it must be his Brazilian blood. They're born with dance shoes on!
 

Dona Felipe, for me it's because the novelas I enjoy are at odd hours Uni has assigned to them. It's not that these novelas are below par, actually, I enjoy them far more than those in the primetime hours. It started with Corazon Salvaje relegated to midnight after which, of course, it improved and ended up being very entertaining. I missed half of Fea so I am enjoying watching and reading old and new recaps and comments in a timely manner. Thank goodness the recappers find La Verdad Oculta to be interesting, suspenseful and well acted since I need their wonderful recaps to help me out.

GinCA
 

Hi Paula, just finished watching these. I have said it before, when I started watching my DVD's the first 100 chapters I FF>> through most of the cartel. Today I watched it all. It was interesting to actually pay attention to and understand Fernandos little gossip fest with Marta. They were very funny together.

And Don Felipa, for me, I am enjoying this recap because I missed out on it the first time Lea Fea played and I really do find this novela so much fun and so entertaining. I also am picking up so much more with the orginal recaps and with Paulas great insights and outlines.

I also enjoy all the other comments and great insights from everyone else.

So again Paula thanks for all your hard work.
 

A few thoughts on The Tomas Clown Affair (sorry, I couldn't resist!):

For weeks, Fernando has been saying, “I trust Lety completely.” But almost immediately after the embargo is finalized, he begins to doubt her.

Omar suspects Lety of being greedy & selfish. Fern never questions her character, but his suspicion is that she’s in love with another. IOW they project their own weaknesses.

Tomas is all excited that “we” own Conceptos, and $40M. So maybe Omar is a little bit right with his suspicions about Tomas.

Tomas pushes a big hot-button for Fernando. Remember, he was an only child with his parents’ complete attention. Then the Villoreals moved in and needed attention, and they (especially Ariel) usurped his position with his parents. Now he finally has someone dedicated completely to him again. He has all her attention, loyalty, devotion. Just like he once had with his parents. But Tomas threatens to steal her attention and devotion away from him. Again.
 

Totally fun stuff today with Don Fernando. I could watch his expressions all day long.

Loved the chisme session with Marta about Lety and Tomás "Morita". Fer almost lost it!

This is my second time to see LFMB,so I FF thru the uninteresting scenes and concentrate on what is important - Don Fernando, tan divino!
 

Hi all. I'll have to watch this weekend, I'm too darn busy, getting home late and up early, gah!!

Thank you for the recap to hold me over until I can watch appropriately and not fast forward through the fun. Can't wait!
 

Yes, I love the new ending music. I liked the old ending, too, but mostly for Lety's dancing in it, not the music.

After seeing the dance Luigi is rehearsing the dancers for, I fear for the future of the company more than ever. It's both lame AND inappropriate. What is this supposed to be for?

I loved Lety and Tomás playing Office at home. Very cute.
 

Paula, I just had to post a quick thank you for the Language tools link. I used it last night for my Dinero recap and it was so much easier than thumbing through my dictionary when I got stuck. Great tool!!!
 

I don't know if Fer was actually jealous about Tomas (it seems too soon), but he was clearly taken aback - understandably. I don't think he's given much thought to the fact that Lety has a life of her own outside Conceptos.

Now, suddenly, he realizes that there are additional influences in his life that he doesn't know much about and can't control. PANIC!!

So, not jealous. Not exactly. (Not yet!) But feeling confused and threatened, which is a lot like jealousy.
 

I think I finally recognized Fatima last night - she was the mud wrestler in MEPS that "Esteve" turned into a Lady. Yes?
 

Yes, Julie, that's her.

I think Fernie is jealous, he just doesn't know it yet. His jealousy isn't yet of an entirely romantic nature, I don't think, he's just surprised that Lety has a man other than him to pay attention to in any way, but I think the romantic interest is creeping in. He looked quite insulted when Omar mocked Lety saying no man would be attracted to that.
 

I agree, Julia. This is the first time Omar used the word "Gargolita" (I think), and he starts it in response to Fernando being upset about a Tom/Lety romance. Fern was clearly bothered by the insult.

What upset Fern most is that she's giving her attention to someone else. He tells Omar he's angry because they talked in front of him like he didn’t exist. And he asks Lety, “were you so excited, you didn’t notice me?”

I think that Fernando is experiencing a blizzard of various emotions all jumbled together. One big part is that the only person he trusts completely has hidden something from him. Part is the kind of jealousy a child feels when his mother talks to someone else. Part is that he enjoyed Lety's total devotion and he doesn't want anyone to subtract of that. And somewhere in the mix is the tiniest little bit of romantic jealousy.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder