Wednesday, October 27, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #63-64 10/27/10 There will never be another like Don Fernando.

Capitulo 63.
Read Julie’s original recap which covers Cap’s 61 to 64. Then come back here to discuss it.

1. Marcia tells Lola dignity is good, except if it costs your job. She refers Lola to an attorney to force Efren to pay support. She can’t tolerate homewreckers and novio robbers. She champions feminine solidarity but won’t let Lola touch her.

2. Fernando begs Omar not to leave him alone with Lety. She hasn’t said a word about last night and he doesn’t know how she feels. He’s not willing to continue this canallada; he’s not willing to hurt her.

3. Lola tells the cuartel that Marcia will get her a loan to pay for Jazmín’s cell, and that she won’t allow them to resign (except Lety). The cuartel is more excited about saving Lola’s job than their own. Quite a contrast to Marcia’s version of solidarity.

4. Lety buys the cuartel lunch since they missed payday. Tomás has his own fantasy, that Alicia wants to kiss him. He gives the rose and love letter to the kids since they can pass the gate. The kids put them in the pizza since they can’t enter the vortex. Ali ordered the pizza for Fern and Omar.

5. The boys laugh at the goofy love letter. They call the number just for grins, and they hear, “Hello, Tomás Mora, partner of Filmo Imagen.” They hang up and panic. Tom mourns the rejection. Ali mourns that no one is buying her lunch.

6. The boys conclude that the love letter is for Lety. They read it as a description of Lety, and that Tom will make her owner of Conceptos. Omar says, “Are you going to let him win Lety? He’s going to take her from you forever, and Conceptos too. Do you still refuse to romance Lety?” Fernando accepts that he has to take her out tonight.

7. Meanwhile Lety concludes that it was all a mistake; he would never kiss her sober. She wishes she could ask her mother’s advice. Fernando tells Lety he’ll take her home. Omar brings Fern a Paty Manterola picture to assist his imagination.

8. Lety and Fernando get ready for their ride home. Lety thinks that Fern is taking her home either to apologize for the kiss, or to fire her. Fernando fusses over his appearance and wonders why he’s fussing for Lety.


Capitulo 64.
Read Julie’s original recap which covers Cap’s 61 to 64. Then come back here to discuss it.

1. Alicia throws himself at Omar in his office and she starts undressing him, but he escapes her clutches.

2. At a taquería, Lety doesn’t want to let Fernando talk because she fears the worst. Her best hope is to consider last night forgotten. But he tells her that what happened was not the whiskey talking, it was what he really feels. He almost kisses her but the kitchen staff is staring at them.

3. At the park, Fernando tries cliché flattery and gets nowhere He has to work hard to convince Lety that he’s attracted to her. See the transcript. He breaks through when he tells her that none of those beautiful women have made him happy, and that he doesn’t love Marcia. He kisses her twice, using the Paty picture to aid his imagination.

4. Fernando takes Lety home. She asks that he not tell Omar. She accepts that he’ll stay with Marcia and Lety will be la otra. Fernando is disturbed by the word. He orders her to not say a word, especially to the cuartel. Erasmo lays into Lety for talking to her boss in the car. What will the neighbors say?

5. Lety tells her diary that she doesn’t know whether she’s at the gates of Heaven or Hell. She says, “I’m not going to turn down this opportunity. I love him and I know he has never truly loved anyone. There will never be another like Don Fernando. Maybe I will be the one to fill the emptiness of his heart.” She could not bear to suffer again for love, but she’s sure Fernando is sincere and is a great man. Since she believes in him, she has put her heart into his hands.

6. Fernando ducks Marcia’s kiss, afraid she’ll sense that he kissed Lety. He never did that after his other women. Marcia is suspicious (and water is wet). He tells her that she’s beautiful, and right now he desperately needs to kiss her beautiful face to forget the horrible errors of the day.

7. Alicia runs out of gas on the way to work. Lety brings Fernando a candy bar as a gift.


Spanish Lesson. In the Park.
Here is another transcription I had in my files.
L: It’s not possible that you’re in love with me, Don Fernando.
F: No? Why not? Tell me! Why not?
L: All the women you like are 90-70-90, tall, beautiful, classy.. I don’t have any of that.
F: I love your fragile-ness. I feel a marvelous energy. I love your security, your gift with people. (As he starts being honest, she starts believing him.) You’re my guardian angel. I value your intelligence. Your devotion to your job. Don’t you think that makes you attractive?
L: No. Definitely not.
F: Then what is happening to me? I’m going crazy for you. And don’t try to tell me I’m confused!
L: No. But there is no reason for you to be in love with me.
F: What provokes our emotions? It’s more than just the physical. You’re right. I used to think that I could only fall for beautiful women. But as you already know.. I haven’t been happy with any of them. (That scores another point because Lety knows it’s true.) I never felt for any of them, what I feel for you. (She almost lets him kiss her, but it’s too much for her.)

On the swings. He says that night’s moon belongs to them. He gives her a long but stiff kiss. No grimace.
L: No, no, no. I don’t know what’s happening to you, but I’m scared, DonFernando.
F: You don’t feel anything for me?
L: Ay, Don Fernando, of course I do. I admire you very much. Es lo me muy interesante. (Why is Fern stunned?) You became special to me when you defended my work (he thinks that’s a strange thing to value), to value me as a professional. That drew me to you. But this is crazy. You’re going to get married. You can’t break up with Marcia to go out with me.
F: Okay, you’re right. But as you know, I don’t love her (with that he wins her over). We should give ourselves the opportunity to discover what we feel for each other.
L: I’m scared, Don Fernando.
F: Might it not be that deep down, you prefer Tomas over me?
L: Don Fernando, forget about him ya!
F: Then what are you afraid of? We’ve been accomplices in everything. And now you’re afraid to go though with this? Or you don’t want to live it out? Would that be better?
L: Sí, Don Fernando. I want to live it. (He braces himself. Not for disgust with her, but disgust with himself, especially because she’s so obviously so in love. Like a soldier on a suicide mission, he gathers his will power and kisses her.)

Labels:


Comments:
Fernando tells Omar, "How can you laugh? This is a tragedy!" One definition of classic tragedy is that the hero is destroyed by his tragic flaw. Hmmm.

A few weeks ago, someone said, “Didn’t Camil go to Anáhuac?” Yes he did. Here is the scene that points to that. Fernando says, “Anáhuac is a very good school. It’s not their fault that you decided to attend there.” Lety adds, “It’s a good educational institution. To the point that I doubt that you studied there. Maybe you only went to the cafeteria.” Fernando replies, “And Anáhuac has very good cafeteria.”

Roger speaks!!! When Ana Leticia leaves Marcia’s apt, he says “Ciao!” I think it’s the only thing he says in all of Fea.

Alicia lost use of her car in the morning. In Fea that’s usually tied to a loss of power. Is it because Omar escaped her grasp last night? Or is something coming today?

When Fernando throws the fit regarding the pizza loveletter, I'm reading a little more jealousy in his reaction. Anyone else? And by the time he asks Lety if she prefers Tomas to him (in the park), boy howdy! If that ain't jealousy, I'm La India Maria!
 

I don't pick up real jealousy on Fern's part but he obviously doesn't like sharing and that's what Tomas represents to him. He considers her to be his guardian angel and that means only his. I wonder if he would react so strongly if he knew what Tomas looks like.

I'm really finding this part of LFMB hard to watch because there is such an element of cruelty in what Omar and Fern are doing. Granted Fern is having qualms of conscience but he still keeps going ahead. I did find the scene with Marcia after he dropped off Lety interesting in contrast to his behaviour with her after being with any of his other women.
 

(Why is Fern stunned?) You became special to me when you defended my work (he thinks that’s a strange thing to value), to value me as a professional. That drew me to you.

I think he found someone who for the first time noticed and admired first his non-looks qualities... notice how Lety is telling him about her admiring his fairness and nobility, not his looks. He must be used to women who only notice his looks and his bank account balances (and consider the no. 1 bachelor in the city/country) ... so this surely should be stunning to him to have Lety describe something about himself he never heard from a woman before.

Fernando tells Omar, "How can you laugh? This is a tragedy!" One definition of classic tragedy is that the hero is destroyed by his tragic flaw. Hmmm.
LOL!! great analogy, Paula!
 

Es lo me muy interesante.

I bet she said 'Es un hombre muy interesante' (you are a very interesting man)
 

speaking of cars...
a lot of the 'privacy' scenes with Fer and Lety in LFMB are in different scenarios..
in BLF many of these scenes occurred in one place, Armando's car. And the car became almost as another character in the novela... in the car is where the 'intimacy' started, and I don't mean physical intimacy, but where they opened up to each other... especially Armando (the first of these was coming home from the equestrian event at the club, then the second was when he asked Betty if she approved the purchase of the lower quality fabrics... etc... and all this was way before the 'seduction' phase started.
In LFMB those first two also happened in his car... but the ones afterwards have been elsewhere... even the conversations in today's ep are mostly away (the park, the swings). in BLF these also happened in his car. and I am beginning to interpret that that the car was a place Armando felt free from Mario's influence/control.
Maybe I am not making any sense at all... sorry... i am just blubbering or maybe it will make more sense later on in the story.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

sorry, had to take it back to edit out a possible spoiler

There will never be another like Don Fernando.
such a great title, Paula!
as cruel as Omar's prediction / statement is about Lety as a fea would not pass on the chance of having a relationship with someone like Don Fernando... we have to admit that must also be in Lety's mind... she even says it in her diary, that she wants to go through it and enjoy it because it might be her only chance at feeling this way... who can blame her?
 

I found the park scene so very tender and poignant. When Fernando was telling Lety all the things that supposedly drew him to her, I think he was realizing for the first time that yes, she really did have "beautiful" qualities, qualities that could inspire love.

And her love words to him also revealed things about himself that he never thought of or valued because he was so focused on the physical and the seductive in his approach to life.

Although the relationship is progressing for the basest of reasons, it is already revealing higher qualities and capacities to love in both Lety and Fernando.

I loved today's episode. We are now in the real heart of the story.
 

I don't think you were blubbering, Marta - it makes sense that Armando felt emotionally "safe" in his car.

So if Fernando is able to have these kinds of conversations with Lety in other places as well, perhaps we can interpret that to mean that he feels emotionally safe anywhere he's with Lety - or that he only ever feels unsafe when he's around Marcia because she's always trying so hard to find emotions that he doesn't have.
 

Thank you SO MUCH for those translations. When I watched this originally, it drove me crazy that I couldn't understand those talks in the park and on the swings. I could tell that they were important, and it has been bugging me all this time - more than four years! - that I didn't understand them.
 

I love these two episodes as well. The park scene is so sweet. I also like the taco scene.

I was upset at Marcia when she was ragging Paula Maria about being late but helping out her buddy without any problem.

Also the pizza scene was a hoot when Thomas answered the phone and put Fernando and omar into a total tail spin!!

Thanks Paula for the translation as well.
 

Did anyone else feel that Fernando's response to Lety's telling him what she valued in him was funny? He did not seem at all pleased. I couldn't tell whether it was surprise or that it was not the response he was looking for or expecting. His response seemed like he had failed with her or was insulted.

In any case, I really enjoyed the scene between them and am glad to have finally had the opportunity to see it.

As for Fernando having a tragic 'flaw" I think flawSSS would be more like it --in spite of the fact that he is totally divino.
 

Camil's new project: El Gran Show. for Univision. Starts early December.
"Entertainment/Variety “El Gran Show” (The Big Show). Univision Studios, in co-production with Imagina US presents more than just a game show; it’s an all-out excitement extravaganza. Each step the contestants take can lead to loads of cash or totally outrageous situations. A two-hour family variety game show, where physical and fun challenges are mixed with today’s technology making for totally unpredictable results. (Sunday, Primetime)"
 

NJ Sue, I think what Marta said pretty much nails it on the head why Fern doesn't look pleased when he hears why Lety likes him. In his broad yet shallow experience, those aren't the qualities people look for in a man (nice face, hot bod, groovy threads, bitchin' car, big bucks, prestigious job), so he thinks his most obvious charms have fallen short.

He feels like he's a girl who's just been told she has a "nice personality."
 

I love that we have so many different opinions about Fernando's reaction to what Lety said! Yes, there are similarites, but also differences.
* Marta: He found someone who noticed and admired his non-looks qualities
* Judy: Her words revealed traits he never valued because he was so focused on the physical and the seductive in his approach to life.
* Sue: His response seemed like he had failed with her or was insulted.
* Julie: he thinks his most obvious charms have fallen short. He feels like he's a girl who's just been told she has a "nice personality."
* Paula: He thinks it's a strange thing to value. More specifically, in his reality you win a woman with good looks, money, flattery, and sexy moves. That a woman would fall for him for reasons that are not superficial, just boggles his mind. It's as if Lety told him she values him because he was born in July.

Yes Judy, we're definitely in the heart of the story. IMHO the real plot of LFMB starts in Cap 53 when the embargo and the Tomas suspicions begin simultaneously. Everything before that is just the set-up. If the laying-the-foundation phase has been so interesting, imagine how good it'll get when the core plot really gets cooking!

Marta, your theory about Armando's car as a safe place. And Julie's corallary, that any place with Lety is a safe place. Interesting. Especially because Fea uses a car as a symbol of being able to control one's own life. I recall a great many warm, close, genuine conversations in the car.

Marta, thank you for being careful about spoilers. Sylvia, Cheryl, and any other Fea virgins, I know I've dropped a few teasers. Please tell me if I cross the line from teaser into spoiler.

Pata, thank you for today's screenshot. I'm sorry I forgot to thank you earlier. Crazy busy day.
 

Notice in the taquería Lety looks ugly again when Fernando tries to make himself kiss her. I think it’s a reflection of how he perceives her at that moment.

Bouncing off what Judy said. At the park, he had to think hard to find ways to flatter her without giving her outright lies, which she’d recognize immediately. As he searches for good things to say about her, I think he begins to appreciate what a treasure she is. Notice she doesn’t look ugly to him at that point.

Even though it’s all based on a lie, the dates and kisses are already changing Fernando. The first kiss, in Cap 61, changed him from “How can I kiss a fea?” to “How can I betray an angel?” The second date started to give him a deeper understanding of what a wonderful person she is. It’s changing his relationship with Marcia, too. After the first kiss, he dropped their photo, which in telenovelas is ALWAYS significant (breaking it is even worse). After the second date, he’s afraid to kiss Marcia. He’s nervous even after brushing his teeth.
 

Today's installment of "Lety and Alicia, Equal and Opposite.

The love note describes Alicia's appearance, and the boys interpret it as describing Lety.

Lety and Alicia go to the bathroom to prepare for their "dates." Lety mimics Alicia's actions. Alicia mocks Lety, who she considers pathetic for even hoping to impress anyone.

Ali tries seven-ways-to-Sunday to entice Omar to go home with her, even grasping at him. Omar wrestles to break free from her and she goes home alone. Fernando tries seven-ways-to-Sunday to convince Lety he's attracted to her, and she finally lets him kiss her. He takes her home.
 

Wow, I've been waiting four years just to see these scenes. What a sweet scene in the playground. You can see a real relationship developing. I started watching shortly after these episodes. I always felt that there was a big chunk of my understanding missing.

NinaK
 

Thanks so much Paula! I'm enjoying LFMB even more this time around. I love the translations and everyone's opinions. I've gotten a few shows behind again (life just gets in the way), but I'm loving every minute of the time I get to watch. I'm glad to hear of Camil's new show. I'd love to see him in another soap opera but to see him at all will be fun.

Carrie L.
 

As he searches for good things to say about her, I think he begins to appreciate what a treasure she is. Notice she doesn’t look ugly to him at that point.
i was thinking the same thing... and that is a good explanation for his hessitation while he 'notices' those qualities that are not so 'open' to everyone else... like Armando would say 'he is discovering her'
 

Paula, the Lety/Fernando and Alicia/Omar equal and opposite... had not thought of it that way but it is so true! especially last night...
 

The idea of 'El Gran Show' used to work very well in PR back in the 70s with Luis Vigoreaux mixing family games with entertainment variety ... hopefully it will go well for Camil and Univision too.
 

the whole analogy the 'boys' made about the love letter in describing Lety was hysterical...
'since I am investing in metalworks industry I thought about your smile ' and the 'boys' say this means he was thinking of her braces...
'and then I was looking at crystal companies and thought of your cristalline eyes' and the 'boys' say he was thinking of her glasses... LOL!!
 

a little bit more about Fernando and where he feels 'free'... now I am seeing it as not only where but with whom...you are right, he feels a lot of pressure when he is with Omar, Marcia or his parents... because he is afraid he will not live up to their 'expectation' of him...
but when he is with Lety just the two of them, regardless of where, he can be himself, he knows she does not really expect him to fulfill some goal she has set up for him... she just appreciates him (and now he believes she loves him) for who he is... not for his looks or his bank account alone.
 

NinaK and Carrie, now that we've reached The First Kiss, I hope we hear more from you. Carrie, when you say, "I'm enjoying LFMB even more this time around," WOW! That's really saying something, considering what a fan you were back in 07! (jiji)

Marta, I've made a VERY rough web page with a table of Lety and Alicia, the ways in which they are completely the same and yet completely opposite - the ying and the yang. Click here to see the table. The theme starts in the very first episode, and it runs through the very last. In fact, the theme is more clear in LFMB than in BLF.

Regarding 'El Gran Show,' apparantly Uni partnered with a company who does the show in Spain. It sounds like a high energy show, so we should see plenty of Camil's exuberance, what I love most about his work. I just hope they do a class job with it. Uni's MQB has turned so trashy, I really feel bad for Javier. He's such a decent guy, he deserves better.

Marta, that's part of the tragedy of Fernando's life so far. The people who should be his safe refuge from the storm - his parents, his finacé, and his best friend - well instead, they ARE the storm! He probably gets more grief from his fiancé than he does from his enemy Ariel! (Since he rarely sees Ariel.) It's no wonder that Fernando treasures Lety's total support so much. On Friday we'll see much more of the "free, safe, and comfortable with Lety" theme.
 

Paula and Marta you both hit the nail on the head with me about Fern. I was thinking last night that one of the reasons he is coming to appreciate Letty is that she is the one person in his universe who isn't nagging him about something. Marcia nags about his other women and the wedding, his father is on him about the business and making money, his mother wants him to marry Marcia, Ariel is on him as competition for the business and even BFF Omar is now on him to seduce Letty. Everywhere he turns people want something from him but Letty doesn't. If he had a backbone he would tell the rest of them to back off but he doesn't, he goes with the flow.

As someone who came into LFMB the first time somewhere after the middle I have to say it is hard to providing an analysis of people's actions and not use what I know comes later but it isn't stopping me from trying LOL. Loving it the second time around as well.
 

Well, I have nothing smart to add to all your astute comments, but I really appreciate how much they're adding to my understanding of what's going on.

I'll just say that I love some of the staging details...like how all the amusement park rides lit up and started moving when Fernando and Lety kissed. This show goes so far beyond the basic scripted action and dialogue. I think in lesser hands it might have been boring, but it is divino.
 

is it jealousy or is it selfishness (not wanting to share)?... I think it's both... he doesn't realize/recognize yet the reason behind his being so drawn to Lety, but it is evident to us watching from outside because his behavior with everyone else is affected/changed as he gradually gets to know Lety.
And these events in turn awaken sides/feelings of his he never noticed before... and of course, for someone who has had such a narrow view of the 'universe' of women around him [the Marcia/Teresitas and the models] it must be a scary feeling to realize there are more 'profiles' to women) he never noticed before, and if these new individuals in hsi life make him feel better, more at ease, less bound by expectations, he is not ready/ willing to share or lose that... and all this sits right on top of the pressure of losing Conceptos.
 

And really, jealousy and selfishness are extremely close emotions. When the 2-yr-old makes trouble every time his mom gets on the phone, is he selfish for her attention, or jealousy of whoever she's giving attention to?

Marta, I just e-mailed you with a transcription request for Friday's show.
 

Hard to believe I know Paula. I missed that show more than maybe any other and to have it back again is a real treat for me! It's a perfect time in my life to have fun with this show again. So many problems like so many people have, but now my family can hear me laughing to myself while watching it and know what a real nut their mother is! I don't care though. Camil in his white tee shirt and sweats makes it all worth while. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Carrie L.
 

Carrie, what a memory you have! Hasta my thing about white tee shirts! Caray caray!
 

If Fernando is faking how he feels about Lety (which he thinks he is) then why did their scenes feel so romantic?

Thanks Paula, Julie and everyone else. I'm playing catch up but I will have to watch some of these scenes again, sigh.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder