Monday, November 22, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #99-10 11/22/10 Ain't that a kick in the teeth?

Read Julie’s original recap which covers Cap’s 97 to 99. Then come back here to discuss it.

Capitulo 99.

1. Fernando stomps on Omar for calling Lety names, and the very next thing Omar says is that he will prepare the cards for while he’s away.

2. Fern is very scared that Lety won’t like the card because he wrote it himself. They both look for excuses to touch, and they’re both reluctant to part. Fern says to himself, “I don’t know what’s happening to me today, but it must be something good because.. I’m happy.” Marcia tells Alicia, “He’s in love and it’s not me. I have the feeling he doesn’t even know how much he loves her.”

3. Today’s card says, “Knowing your past doesn’t push me away from you (tú), far from it. It brings me closer. I want you to forever forget that past and go back to having faith in yourself, your body, your skin, your way of loving. Because me consta (?) your sensuality.” She tells him it’s the most beautiful card he’s ever written.

4. Marcia comes to say goodbye, and rather than a goodbye kiss, he just gives her a light touch on the shoulder from behind. Whereas he gives Omar a hug and says “Auf wiedersehen,” but Omar thinks he says “Olvidense,” and he doesn’t know what he’s supposed to forget.

5. Fernando calls his parents to inform them about Cannes. He tells them he doesn’t know if he’s in love, he only knows that he’s going to marry Marcia. Two babes flirt with him and he doesn’t like it.

6. Omar can’t stop laughing as he gleefully types the letter of instructions to Fernando. See the translation. He puts everything in the red bag, puts it on his own desk, and leaves for Germany. Ominous music plays. Later Sara finds the red bag.

7. At lunch, Marcia asks Lety if it’s worthwhile for her to fight for Fernando, or if she’s already lost him. Afterwards, Lety wrestles with her conscience. She knows she should break up with Fernando but she can’t. See the transcript for “My Dinner With Marcia” and “Hamlety’s Soliloquy.”


Capitulo 100.
Read Amanda’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Fernando feels bad that he didn’t attend to Cristina RP and made a scene in front of her. He asks Lety to arrange for Cristina to meet him in his office, but he tells Lety not to be jealous. Quite the contrary, Lety knows that he dropped everything for Paty M but he virtually ignored Cristina, and she’s warmed by his call.

2. Sara gives Lety the red bag for Fernando. Lety’s dying of curiosity so she opens the bag and finds an engagement ring and a proposal. But it was a fantasy; she leaves the bag closed. Mama Julieta counsels her, “Some secrets should never be told. What if what you find out is worse than the pain of curiosity?”

3. Fernando sees Roman’s gang outside Conceptos, and he remembers Lety’s story. Amid punches, Fern tells Roman, “Don’t mess with Lety, you got it? People like us shouldn’t exist, Roman, neither you nor me.” Roman asks what Fern has against him, and Fernando answers, “Remember your bet over Lety? Well, now Lety has someone to defend her. Don’t mess with her again or you’ll have me to answer to. If you even get near to her again, I’ll make you pay.” He warns Celso not to tell anyone what he did.

4. The kids find the bag, eat the candy, take the toys, and leave the envelope with the cards and The Letter in Fernando’s briefcase.


Spanish Lesson
My Dinner With Marcia.
M: Leticia, we’ve never gotten along.
L: Perdón. You’ve never behaved well with me. I have nothing against you.
M: Whatever. Let’s set aside our positions. I want to talk woman to woman. Since you came, you’ve become Fern’s right hand. Not just in work. His agenda and appointments. Everything. You have managed to win things with Fernando that I haven’t been able to accomplish. I suspect that one of your strategies is to pit yourself against me (jugar en mi contra).
L: No, no. I’m at Fern’s side but I’m not against you. If I was your secretary I’d be at your side.
M: (Sarcastically) Of course you would. You and I are rivals for Fernando. Simply because you’re his assistant and I’m his novia. So there is naturally conflict between us. But we’re both women. Have you ever been in love? Are you in love now?
L: Yes. M: with Tomas? L: No. I mean yes.
M: Women love differently. With the heart, men with the head. We live for them, 24 hours a day. Nothing matters more than our men. We women are together in this. We need solidarity. I know your relationship is more stable than mine. Right?
L: Um, um, probably.
M: What is your opinion of my relationship with Fernando?
L: That’s none of my business. Too personal, too private.
M: Not for you. You manage a big part of Fernando’s intimacy. You’re the only one who can tell me about my relationship with him. I don’t intend to criticize or judge you. I neeeed to listen to you.
L: Why me?
M: Omar is his best friend, but they have solidarity. He’d never help me. On the contrary, he’d be happy if I didn’t marry his friend. Pleeease tell me.
L: I respect your relationship with Fern. It’s something fundamental in his life. You’ve fought hard for him. You deserve him.
M: I know. But I’m losing him. I know he’s having relations with another woman. I’m not going to ask the name of his amante. I just need to know, is it worthwhile for me to insist that he marry me? If you say no, I won’t ask for explanations, I probably already know.
L: Of course it’s worth the trouble, to marry Don Fernando.
M: What am I saying? Any woman would want to marry him. But I’m afraid he’s marrying me just to avoid problems. I’m losing him, right? Please tell me. I’m dying because I don’t know what’s going on. I can’t imagine life without him. Put yourself in my shoes. Imagine that you’re losing el hombre de su vida.
L: Doña Marcia, you ask as if I’m able to understand men. I’m no expert about love, much less men.
M: You know I’ll be leaving Fernando in her hands. I can’t do anything to stop it. I guess I wasted my time here.
L: No, wait. I understand you. I don’t know whether he has stopped loving you. Maybe he’s just confused. You two have had a lot of problems. If you’re novios, it’s because you found things that made you love each other. Rescue those things and win him back, so things go back to how they were. I can see that you’re profoundly in love with Don Fernando.
M: That was my plan for this trip because I knew it would be my last chance. But I’m leaving and he’s staying. I don’t even know what I’ll find when I return. I don’t know what will happen between him and me. Thank you.



Hamletys Soliloquy.
I know it’s wrong to be in a hidden relationship with an engaged man, but for the first time I feel loved. And loved by the man of my dreams. When I’m with him I don’t know who I am. Or maybe I’m the real me. I forget my values. Even my family. But how can I reject love when I feel it so close? When I thought it would never come to me? That for me it would just be a cruel joke. That’s it! I’m going to break it off with Don Fernando. There! I’ve decided.

But when I’m with him, I lose my resolve because I love him so much. He is all that there is. Why did I have to meet him when Marcia was in his life? God help me. Even though she treats me badly, I don’t want to cause Marcia pain. I’m in this world to love. I don’t want anyone to suffer.

Labels:


Comments:
Thank you, Pata, for the screen shot. Oh, so satisfying!

Why do we get beating up Roman in 30-second morsels, but Lola vs. Jazmín for 3 minutes solid??

Fernando will defend Lety from Roman, but who will defend her from Fernando? Perhaps Lety’s defender from Fern is her parents. Mama warns her not to peek in bag, which represents the danger from Fernando. And papa protects her, but by lies she has removed herself from his protection. Then again, when Fernando punches out Roman, in a way he is also punching out himself for what he’s doing to Lety. He says, "People like US shouldn't exist."
 

This was a beautiful and poignant episode. The lunch with Marcia, Fernando's protection of Lety, the queasy fear about that disgusting letter Omar wrote that is lying in the red bag.

I don't find the cuartel annoying but those ill-behaved kids really annoy me. They clearly have no boundaries!
 

Thanks Paula for the great Spanish lesson. I loved the Fernando Lety/scenes.
 

I think "me consta (?) your sensuality" is "your sensuality stays/lingers with me."
 

... sorry, I hit "publish" too soon...

I guessed that based on context. Word Reference doesn't agree with that definition of "constar" so I am thinking maybe he meant to use a different word that didn't come out right? But I can't find any likely candidates.
 

Thanks, Julie. That "me consta" construction always throws me. My friend has tried to explain it to me, and we get nowhere. Sometimes it's related to "count on it." It's usually related to something solid or reliable. But more specific than that, yo solo sé que no sé nada.
 

Very interesting day. For the first time I really liked Fern as a man. He saw those punks and decided now they would pay. Loved him telling them now Lety has someone to protect her. Had to laugh when he got on Celso for not being there but he got points for telling him to say nothing about what happened.

Could not believe both Lety and Omar's secretary being so nosy about the bag. It isn't as if it was a business thing yet both of them were dying to know what was inside.I suppose if someone left a wrapped gift in the place they would think they had a right to open it an see what it was. Really low class.

Felt sorry for the desperate needy Marcia during that uncomfortable lunch. Once again Lety admits to herself that she is wrong to be involved with Fern, ignoring her values and swears to leave him but then goes back to the office and all bets are off. In a way she is as messed up as he is.

Those kids are spoiled brats who should not be allowed to run amok in a business. Then again their parents are the know no limits cuartel so why am I surprised that the kids, snoop, steal and lie.

Now the smoking gun, Omar's letter, is out and about. Too bad for everyone that the brats didn't take it and toss it in the trash.

Just a small question how did the Mendiola parents suddenly have champers glasses in hand when Fern told them about Cannes?
 

Just a guess here, but when he uses "me consta" in the letter I thinking he is saying. "I can attest to or confirm your senuality." In other words he is telling her he finds her very sensual even if she herself had doubts. Any way that's what I think he meant by it. I could totaly be wrong.
 

The drum is moving around again. This time it hung by the handle instead of the strap.

Did you see all the hair grease when Fernando told Omar goodbye? It's good he buys it by the gallon!

I love this stage where Fernando can't figure out what's happening to him. She steals a kiss, he likes it, and he's not at all surprised that he likes it. His hands linger on the candy basket just for an excuse to touch her longer. He steps on her way after giving her the card, just for an excuse to be closer to her. He even considers her feelings regarding Cristina's visit! That's surprising because although he's in love, it's almost entirely a selfish love, the way a two-year-old loves his mommy selfishly.

I just love watching that boy fall in love, step by little bity step.
 

What a very interesting episode. I can't believe Lety managed to make it through the lunch with Marcia. Talk about weird trips! Lety handled herself very well. I think I would have been sweating bullets.

I was proud of Fernando for punching out Roman. That felt like a purely visceral and emotional response. Even though he compared himself to Roman, if he truly didn't care about Lety I doubt he would have approached Roman. Remember, last time they had an altercation Roman beat Fern up. This time Fern didn't think about himself at all, he just did what he felt had to be done for Lety's sake.

Decie, I laughed out loud when Fern's parently instantly had champagne...in bed no less.
 

Shame on me, I forgot to say THANK YOU to Paula, Julie, Amanda, and Pata for the fun recap. I hope I didn't forget anyone.
 

I have three new songs for you. Before the romance started, I posted two songs for Lety:
All I Have To Do Is Dream; Everly Bros.
Goin’ Out of My Head; Little Anthony

Now that Fernando has fallen in love, here are three more.
> For Lety, Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You; Frankie Valie.
> For Fernando, Dueña de mi Vida, Angels.
> For Marcia, Stop in the Name of Love, Supremes.

I put a whole playlist onto my iPod, of songs that follow the various stages of the plot. I'm such an anorak for Fea!!!
 

Pata, thank you for that explanation of "me consta" which supplies the missing link between the dictionary definition and what he actually meant!

Deciegirl, I hated the kids the first time around too; but now, I actually growl at them as I FF past them!! I must be getting old... my parents used to (jokingly) threaten us with reform school, but we did get a pretty good understanding of actions having consequences.

But then my kinder, gentler (and much less vocal) side reminds me that the kids in this story are probably so starved for parental attention that even a punishment would be better than nothing. I think they have about a 100% success rate when it comes to screwing things up.
 

Thanks Paula, Julie and Pata for the pics. The Cuartel and their brood are soooo irritating since I believe in a good work ethic and responsible parenting. But the kids are a plot device so that Omar's revealing letter will be floating around for a while. Now what was Lety and Sara's excuse for being so nosey about la bolsa roja. I was thinking a really good spanking was in order for the kids and I don't even believe in that. The Cuartel is just boring filler most of the time that unfortunately can't be avoided unless we can hit fast forward.

But I think I've seen the episodes that are soon coming up and they are a lot of fun and romantic.

GinCA
 

Thank you so much for the translations. I pretty much can understand most of what's being said, but the slang and the too rapid speech gets me. I also enjoy reading everyone's take on the episode. I will keep visiting!!!!
 

here are my two cents on 'me consta':
'I am well aware of' and 'I have personally confirmed/witnessed' all together as one statement.
 

At least Fernando here gets to beat up Roman one more time. I always thought about if in BLF Armando ever ran into Roman again what he would do, or maybe some day Betty would accidentally run into 'Miguel' and whisper his name and Armando heard it, if she would stop him from charging, telling him it would not be worth it. (I doubt Miguel would recognize her so he would have no clue why he was being attacked LOL)
The problem is, in both cases, Fernando/Armando ends up identifying with Roman and Miguel...
 

BASTA! I have decided, there are certain things I will never really comprehend.
> How big is infinity?
> Where was Atlantis?
> How can you do math with a number that doesn't exist (i)?
> How did the Incans build their incredible stonework?
> How can God be three yet one?
> Why would anyone like banda?
> What does "me consta" mean?

I've looked it up, I've asked my friend, I've tried to grasp it from context, and I've listened to your explanations. Some things are just unknowable.
 

LOL paula, I know that can drive anyone crazy...
if i were to translate a scene with it i would use 'me consta'='I can attest to'
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

i like my online dictionary's definition...
constar=
(ser cierto) to be clear or evident
me consta que no han llegado = it is clear to me that they have not arrived
to be on record
su pedido consta en el registro de la compañía = his order is on record in the company's register
(consistir) to consist or be composed
el estudio consta de tres secciones = the study consists of three sections
to appear, to figure in


Idioms:
hacer constar=
to point out
hacer constar por escrito=
to put on record
que conste que=
let it be clearly known that
para que así conste=
for the record
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder