Tuesday, January 18, 2011

La Fea Más Bella #173-174 1/18/11 Swamped on a yacht.

Capitulo 173.
Read Julie's original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Irmita is reluctant to tell her children that Rafael came home to die because it will just awaken their old pain, but Luigi says they have a right to know.

2. Lety tells Caro that she told her whole life to a fisherman she just met because she felt totally comfortable with him. She’s obviously enchanted with him.

3. Fern calls MamaJ and says they need Lety for a meeting with the lawyers. He begs for her phone number so he can explain it himself. All she can do is pass the message. She says, “Confie en mi.”

4. In Lety’s fantasy, Fernando walks across the lawn and says, “Lety, finally I found you. I miss you. I can’t live without you.” He almost kisses her, but then he transforms into Aldo and Lety is pleasantly surprised, and then he disappears. The bellas teach Lety how to walk.

5. Luigi and Marcia met with Ricky without Fern, and Ricky is surprised Fern didn’t attend. Fern says, “Our executive producer and director held the meeting without informing me.” Luigi acts like he and Marcia humiliated Fern. Fern rebukes Marcia privately and says she’s not playing by the rules. Marcia says he changed the rules when he slept with Lety.

6. MamaJ tells Lety what Fern said. Lety says she can’t leave and she sends Tomás in her place. Caro glows when she gets a surprise call from an old friend. Caro pushes Lety to wear one of Caro’s dresses. They meet Caro’s friend, who is Aldo. Lety and Aldo are again charmed, and Caro looks a smidge jealous.

7. Marcia asks Fern if Lety is coming to tomorrow’s meeting. She uses the opportunity to remind him that Lety delivered his head to the board and maybe she wants to disappear with their company. He returns to his one bright spot, gazing at Lety’s picture. MamaJ tells him Tom is going to the meeting. Fern shouts, “Is your daughter nuts?” Then he calms down and says, “Tell Lety not to hide. I need her.”

8. Caro asks Aldo, “Did you invite me so I’d bring Lety? You’re interested in her!” He only chuckles.


Capitulo 174.
Read Amanda's original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Aldo admits to Caro that he’s drawn to Lety because she’s so innocent and so injured. Caro has known him 1-1/2 years and he’s always been a loner.

2. Marcia again speculates that Lety disappeared because she’s taking Conceptos for revenge. Fern says Lety is incapable of such a thing. She goads him with her favorite taunt, that he’s defending someone who betrayed him. She asks if he fell in love with Lety, and he doesn’t want to talk about it. Marcia demands and answer and finally he admits that yes, he loves Lety.

3. They’re enjoying dinner on the yacht (although Caro’s feeling left out) until the wine loosens Lety’s emotions and her great pain pummels her again. “He lied to me!” Soon she’s gushing about how happy she is here. Caro says they’re three loners. Caro says her house is empty because her obsession with work destroyed her three marriages.

4. Irmita says her son still refuses to talk to his father, but Luigi says she needs him now. The topic strikes a nerve for Luigi. He calls Jorge and implores him to come for his mother’s sake.

5. Aldo talks about his two “sons,” his book and his restaurant. Lety fishes in her purse and a photo falls out. Aldo picks it up and says, “So this is Fernando?” Lety wants her picture back RIGHT NOW and she says she doesn’t feel well; she wants to leave.

6. Lety tells Caro that her pain is too much to bear and she will never be free of it. She tells her whole story off camera. Caro tells her to stop thinking about that and enjoy the here and now, like their night on the yacht. Lety says that was a dream and she woke up, the same fea as always. Caro says yes, she’s the same Lety who is unwilling to change. Her insecurity is in the way she sees herself

7. Aldo tells Lety that her body reflects her soul and vice-versa. Lety runs down the beach in her dress. He shows her where the fresh and saltwater meet in an eternal kiss, and she gazes at him. He talks about the harmony of nature, and she says, “With you I feel harmony and peace.”

Labels:


Comments:
A note about the title. You know that "swamped" can mean overwhelmed with too much of something, e.g. swamped with work. What many lubbers don't know is that "swamped" also refers to a ship filled with water, e.g. when a giant wave crashes over the top of a ship.

In the past I talked about Camil's rampant curls. I found the most delightful YouTube clip. Way back in 2003 (long before Fea), Jaime came onto the Cristina show and sang to Angelica for her birthday. His curls are at their most untamed. BTW, take heart, he sings pop MUCH better than mariachi.

HEY! JANE! (Or was it Barbara?) What do you think now? Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre?
 

Did anyone notice that the actress who portrayed Miss Puebla was also the character of Karla Lagunas in one of the first episodes?
Diann
 

I hate how they use the same music (which was previously reserved for when Lety & Fern were together) with Aldo on screen.
Blechhhh. That music used to be special, not anymore.
I'm sorry, but I find Aldo too goody two shoes. Not plausible. He's too weird, I'm worried he's an escaped mental patient and is in some kind of existential new age universe. Icky, Icky, Icky
Can't get passed those teeth. Or the wrinkles. Or the gray beard. Ewwwww
Diann
 

I am seriously going through Lety & Fern withdrawls!!! And its only been a couple of episodes!!!
Torture, I tell you.
Will old man die already. Enough with Irmita!
Aldo is nauseating, especially since he talks with water running somewhere so as hard as it is to get through the Argentine accent, its also muffled by water. And Lety & Aldo have zero chemistry. He's like a big shaggy dog that you want to wash.
Torture, I tell you. How I'm going to get through 30 caps I don't know yet.
Waaaaa!!!
Diann
 

Diann I agree with you Aldo is just too good to be true! I wonder about all this goodness too... Maybe he killed and cooked someone.
But I kinda like him he is the true naked chef sorry Jamie Oliver.
And boy Lety nothing like a next to get over an ex.
so finally Fern tells Marcia but after so much goading...
And Paula it was me with the P&P reference. I see it is more Jane Eyre though wished it stayed P&P because that was where the characters grow. With Jane Eyre it is more plot that drives them together and apart. bTW there will be a new film based on Jane Eyre. Personally I am partial to Timothy Dalton as rochester in the BBC series a while back.
Jenn
Paula thanks for the youtube clip I just love those wild curls.
 

I can't agree Diann. I think Aldo is just what Lety needs right now. Maybe it's because I'm older that I am not at all put off by his grey beard and I love his smile -- don't see chiclets at all. The relationship with Fernando was very physical and so now she needs one that is more spiritual & mystical. A guy who has been deeply wounded by love often becomes a loner. I only wish that the loner I tried to be in relationship with had used his years of solitude to become more in touch with himself and with the natural world -- like Aldo. Mine just closed in on himself & became more & more bitter. I liked Aldo's little speech when he brought Lety to the place where the agua salada meets the agua dulce in an eternal kiss. Okay -- so maybe I'm hopelessly romantic but I loved the poetry.

Güera from (no longer undefeated) Syracuse
 

Personally, I much prefer the roar of the ocean to most of the music that's used in the show. It's very obtrusive - overused, often too loud, and always calling attention to itself with its... er... distinctiveness that doesn't always fit the situation. Like the one with the kazoos, or the one they play for Thomas with the tuba and the slide-whistle. Note to people who decide these things: goofy music doesn't make a dull scene funny, and it dulls a funny scene.

(The music in FELS was similarly obtrusive, but I didn't mind as much because I didn't really want to hear the dialog most of the time.)
 

I agree with Guera. Aldo is just what Lety needs now. He's not complicated, very upfront, and extremely charming. He'll be able to bring out Lety so that she shines like the star she is. She is relaxed with him and rarely was she that way with Fernando. He will always be her first love and, most likely, her true love, but Aldo is a sweet love that heals. And boy does Lety need healing now. It will be very interesting when Fernando gets to Acapulco. By that time, the damage will already be done, so to speak, and Lety will be falling in love with Aldo.
 

Paula, thanks for the clip of Jaime and Angelica. I think their strong friendship added an extra dimension to their stage relationship.
La Paloma
 

Paula, cute video with Jaimie and Angelica. Thanks again for all you work on this post. Thomas and Julietta were fun to watch today, especially when Fern was on the phone.
 

Paula, great clip. I'm glad that you brought up Jane Eyre. I was one that originally pooh-poohed the connection, but I watched the first half of Masterpiece Theatre's Jane Eyre Saturday night and I definitely see the similarities. I meant to mention it, but the whole class thing, falling for someone who is socially incorrect and all that looms large. It made me think of La Fea.
 

Oh, and I'm all for Aldo as a diversion. Lety was kind of a terminal wet blanket tonight, poor thing. She needs a hobby. I like how when the babe model ran by him he hardly noticed her, he only had eyes for Lety.
 

Sylvia, did you get the the part yet in Jane Eyre, the house party with the fortune teller? That was one of the scenes that REALLY struck me with the similarities because of how the guests talked about Jane - exactly like Marcia and MamaT. (I saw the 2006 with Toby Stephens.)
 

Yep, that's the one I watched and I'm really liking it! The fortune teller scene was near the end of the first half. That was the scene where I had an "aha!" moment. the second half airs next weekend.
 

Stupid blogger keeps double posting, grrrrr.
 

I cleaned 'em up for you, Sylvia. Did I get today's nautical reference correct? Always feel free to correct me.
 

Thanks for the clean up. You certainly did get today's nautical term correct. It's funny how a lot of modern words and phrases come from old sailing terms. I did a search on it one time and was quite surprised.
 

Loved the clip--thanks! I agree that Aldo is going to bring about positive change in Lety's self-confidence--as will Carolina's influence.
I get a kick out of that one bit of music, with the kazoo. It just cracks me up.
Today the 4 disc set arrived and this weekend i plan on catching up to present shows. I have seen the first 10 episodes, and then ones from the past 2 weeks. I need to see the 'in-between' episodes!
 

Marie,
Don't go past Disc 2 Lado 2 (Side 2).
Even going that far will put you ahead of where we are right now.
Plus the disc are extremely edited. Giant, whole sections have been left out (ie no Germany, no Cuarnavaca)
(Im referring to the 4Disc DVD from Amazon)
Diann
 

I guess there must be something wrong with me, because I just do not see what you all see in Aldo.
Im sorry, he is so blah, white bread, dirty, ugly, and I just want to FF when he is on screen.
I don't care if Lety has to "grow" and you all believe Aldo is "perfect" for that. He's a schmuk and so self-righteous, I can't stand it. Oh and by the way, they've made him RICH, did you see the terrace he was lounging on?
So utterly stupid. Why couldn't he been a REAL fisherman, huh?
I think this whole Aldo thing reeks like stinky seaweed.
And I'm sick that its going to take FOREVER for Lety to get back to DF.
Diann
 

They started with 8 bellas. Now there are 19.

Fern shouts at MamaJ, “Is your daughter nuts?” This is NOT a good way to treat your only ally in that household! Distressed, Fern is asking himself, “What is Lety doing???” Gee, maybe she’s trying to recover from you grinding her into itsy, bitsy pieces. Marcia recognizes it – she says, “Did you hurt Lety so much, that she...” As always, Fernando only thinks of his own needs, never hers.
 

I'll be honest, Diann, I never liked Aldo much either, or it would be more accurate to say that I never liked any of the scenes that he was in. He dominates every scene with talk, talk, talk that I guess is supposed to be profound, but strikes me as trite.

But it's what Lety needs to hear, and it's a nice change of pace for her to be with someone who doesn't seem to want anything from her. I'd be happier if they could have more of their conversations off-camera, maybe. :) But I like that I can FF through the show faster when he's around!
 

I loved the added scenes (from YSBLF) with both Carolina and Aldo sharing some of their personal baggage/past blues since it makes them more human and more approachable to be able to relate to Lety's personal struggle. Especially Carolina who shared her personal struggle with not having been able to have a baby even if she got married 3 times already. That makes her look more approachable when Lety tells her her own story of tragedy.
 

Julie,
Thanks for being on my side about Aldo.:)
So I'm to understand I won't miss much if I FF through Aldo scenes? (Not that I'm listening to them even if I don't FF.)

Paula,
The DVD set took about 2 weeks to arrive.
Yes, I'd say they were worth buying. The screen quality is okay, they recorded them on a wideangle shot so that's why they are grainer than they should have been if they wouldn't have tried to make it look like it was HD. (ie recorded them on "normal")
I'm glad I have all the scenes because so many good ones are missing from the "approved" Televisa DVD. And I have only seen the first 2 discs from the 4 pack and I already notice how greatly edited they are.
Diann
 

Diann, in the summaries I try to include everything that's important to the plot, and I can usually keep the summaries under 20 lines so you can read them quickly. So if you FF all the Aldo scenes but you still read the summaries, you can be confident you won't miss anything.

As for the condensed DVDs, what bothered me was that they cut out all the heart and left only the skeleton. I don't get the anguish caused by a crisis, so when it's resolved I also don't get the relief and satisfaction. Overall, I just can't CARE about the characters because all I have is a 5-pane comic strip version of the story.
 

Paula,
Yeh, this is true (about the 4 disc). But I guess it serves as a quick outline of story. But you are right about no "soul". If you haven't seen the original, you'd be pretty lost on the condensed version.
Thats why I stopped on Disc 2, it only serves as a "refresher course" Cannot watch ahead. And at that, I got a little ahead of myself with Lado 2 :(
Diann
 

Also for cases like Marie's, the condensed is perfect. She started watching, I believe, just before the big meeting, and she was completely lost but she loved the show anyway. The Condensed was a fast way for her to fill in the essential parts of what she missed so the present wasn't so confusing.
 

I LOVE Aldo, think that he is way more guapissimo than Fernando with that awful slicked down greasy hair. Aldo immediately appreciates Lety for who she is and sees her as beautiful. Remember, Fernando was repulsed by her when he "Had" to kiss her. Even now he is infantile and shallow.
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder