Monday, February 28, 2011
LFMB Caps 231+232, 2/28/2011. Poppies! Poppies!
Read k-Fuego’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.
1. Fern tells Carla, “I know Marcia wants me to break up with her. I feel it every time she gets close to me with the intention of making love. It frustrates her. It’s hard for her to be with a person she loves (querer) so much who doesn’t reciprocate. My coldness forces her to quit.” Carla recognizes that he’s cold with Marcia because he wants to be with Lety.
2. Fern says that in his intimacy with Lety, he discovered feelings/sensations he never imagined existed. He forgot about himself because he was so wrapped up in her. She gave herself completely, without reservation, with infinite tenderness.
3. Carla says Lety has moved on to another, and he’s staying with someone he can’t stand. He needs to find the right woman. She drags him to the bedroom, while he keeps looking back. He looks like he’s headed to the gallows.
4. Carla excuses herself, and when she returns, Fern is projecting Lety’s image on the window. He kneels in front of it and cries, talking to the image. He says, “You didn’t let me. But the night before I left, I would’ve shown you with my kisses, that don’t know how to lie, how much I love you. I’m desperate because you don’t forgive me. And you’re with Aldo.” Fern leaves. Carla recognizes that Lety is ugly on the outside, but she has the sweetness a man needs. She doesn’t compete with her man. She just gives her love.
5. Aldo arranges for “Leticia, I love you” fireworks. In the morning Aldo takes Lety for a balloon ride and Omar follows. Fern orders Omar to look for clues to know whether Lety slept with Aldo. Fern: Is she blinking? Omar: Yes (and that’s true, she is). So what? Fern: She has a nervous tick. If she blinks it means she’s not relaxed, so she didn’t sleep with Aldo. Omar: I was just messing with you. She didn’t blink. She looks very relaxed. I’m telling you, you need to forget about her!
6. Ali tells Marcia that Lety didn’t come in, so Marcia’s sure she went to NY to be with Fernando. Ali asks Marcia who’s in charge with Lety away. Marcia says, “It can be you for all I care.” Ali runs with it and tells Lopez she’s the president in Lety’s absence. In the meeting with Lopez, I think Marta might be eating Takis Salsa Brava. I LOVE Takis!!!
7. In the meeting, Carla invites Fern to spend the afternoon with her. Fern declines because of how things went last night. Carla says she understands how he feels (a rational person would think she’s promising to back off; is Carla rational?). Carla tempts him with, “it’s about Lety,” and Fern takes the bait.
8. Carla says she knows a foolproof way to forget lost loves. Fern makes sure it’s drug-free, then he asks, “What if I don’t want to forget Lety or what I feel for her?” Carla says, “Then you’ll keep on suffering.” She says he only remembers the good times, and Fern tells of their weekend in Cuernavaca when their souls met.
Read Alma’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.
1. Carla says that to forget Lety, first Fern has to remember the things he didn’t like about her. Fern can’t think of any – it’s as if Carla told him to remove any elephants that are in his pockets!
2. Fern denies that Lety is unattractive but he will accept that lately she has been sangrona (disagreeable, annoying) and she’s treated him badly. Carla says that every time he thinks about sweet Lety, he should remember that Lety rejects him and spent the night in Aldo’s cabin. Fern firmly insists that Lety loves him and wouldn’t do that because she’s a good person. He’s sure of it. Carla works to tear Lety down.
3. Omar sends a picture of Aldo and Lety in the gorge, and Fern decides he has to forget about her. Lety tells Aldo she wants to forget about Fernando. Fern sends Omar a picture, and Carla marks her territory by sneaking a kiss.
4. Lety and Aldo find Omar spying on them and drooling over Carla’s picture. Lety yells at Omar, then yells at Aldo to stop pressuring her. See the transcript. You go girl!
5. Saying he needs to forget Lety, Carla puts her head on his shoulder and tries to kiss him. He wakes out of his stupor. Epele! He says all her psychology, and the list of Lety’s bad points, was only because she wants him for herself (Fernando’s not dumb, just slow!). He tells her to stop manipulating him. He wants to be alone. You go guy! Carla determines to keep trying.
6. Tom tells the cuartel he’d never do anything against Lety. Ali gropes Tome and asks who Aldo likes, and she asks for a check for a million pesos. The cuartel decides to play along with Ali’s game so she’ll get fired when Lety returns.
7. Aldo realizes that he treated Lety badly, he was selfish, and he didn’t think about her feelings. He realizes that he’s very jealous of Fernando. Lety overhears him say he wants to show Lety how much he loves her, but she won’t let him and she pushes him away. She should let him kiss her and make love to her. (Aldo, here’s a hint. Rewind the tape to the “I was selfish” part!) Lety interrupts and says, “I’m angry. Very angry.”
8. Tom quakes with anger because Lopez is hoping for favors from Ali. Lopez tells him to calm down. He mustn’t make a mistake when he signs the check. Tom has an idea.
9. Fern ponders in his hotel room. Doesn’t he look more grown up at the moment? He drinks his water (not whiskey) and says, “I need to get free of all of this. Of Marcia, even of Leticia. This is important. This is the second most important day in my life. The first most was the day I made love with Lety. This is my day of liberty.” Today he will break the chains women hold him with. Carla arrives and says she never intended to manipulate him. “And I’ve got a bridge to sell you.” She’ll leave him alone and only talk about work. He asks her to stay.
Spanish Lesson, Confrontation in the Gorge
Lety to Omar: You and Fern are the worst.When will you leave me in peace? What’s it matter what I do with my life? Why do you spy on me? Why do you bother me?
Aldo: Omar, it’s better if you leave.
L: (turns on Aldo) Aldo, why didn’t you let me tell him all I feel?
A: It’s not worth it. It just makes more hate. Just let the matter rest.
L: I can’t. Not while Fern keeps following me.
A: He’ll keep doing that as long as you keep participating in his game. Your angry outburst only shows him that he still matters to you.
L: (crying) How can it not matter to me that he has a woman in New York?
A: (looks hurt) You just told me you were going to forget about him. (yelling) I can’t believe you keep loving someone who only hurts you.
L: (yelling back) Yes, I do still love him. I need to be alone. I need (XG) what I feel, Aldo. I want to forget Don Fernando. But I cannot endure that you’re pressuring me, Aldo. Please! Dejame en paz!
A: (dejected) Don’t worry, Leticia. I’ll leave you in peace (for what? 20 minutes?).
If you don't know why I chose today's title, please, please watch this clip. In fact, watch it even if you do know why, and pay special attention to the words of the song.
When Fern kneels in front of Lety’s image, it seemed to be connected to something Catholic. Was it as if he was in Confession? His posture seemed to represent something specific. Any Catholics out there, help me out.
I can't watch any clips at work, but I remember the song that plays after Dorothy and her friends wake up. Fitting lyrics. :)
Before you mentioned lyrics, however, I was thinking it had something to do with Carla and Aldo wanting to cast a spell over Fernando and Lety, because frankly that's the only way to score with someone who's obsessed with someone else!
So, Aldo knows he's been selfish, but he's sure Lety would feel better if he could just have sex with her? LOL. (I know he didn't put it QUITE that crassly, but...) So much for showing her that he's different from other men.
BTW, what's XG? I've noticed in your recaps a few times and keep forgetting to ask.
Sorry about the XG. It's an old translator abbreviation for "Unknown number of words garbled." You put it in a transcription when you can't figure out what was said. Normally I intend to go back and fix it after I can see the CCs in the broadcast (though I often forget), but right now our main TV is broken and I can't get CCs on the other one. I think if no one objects, I'll leave the XG's in there and hopefully go back and fix them when my TV problems are resolved.
Another explanation of "Poppies" I considered was that maybe you found these episodes a bit boring. I doesn't look as though you did, but *I* did! I know these moments are important, but they just feel like filler to me because I'm impatient for Lety and Fernando to get back to Conceptos. I enjoy all that tension in the office; and anyway, the rest of the staff are in desperate need of adult supervision!
Both Aldo and Carla are extremely crass. Watching Carla all over Fern was disgusting. And she was employing the same line of bull as Aldo - have sex with me and you'll forget about the one you love. Truthfully, Aldo and Carla are the clueless ones in these episodes. Neither one of them hear the word NO, especially when it's directed to them. Aldo has done all this wooing and Lety hasn't budged a bit. You'd think he get a clue. Wonder if Carla is going to attack Fern constantly while he is in NY? If we have to watch her clinging to Fern for the next 20 days, I'll be FF through her scenes.
Finally though, Fern is realizing he's got to cut the cords with the women in his life. He does need to be free and does he to discover who he is. I'm not sure Fernando even knows himself that well, but NY can provide a great learning opportunity. Fern needs to learn that he is strong on his own without a woman by his side. Lety needs to learn she is strong without Aldo by her side!
So it's day 2(?) of the New York trip and Fernando already realizes that he needs to be free of Marcia. Woohoo! So what's he going to do for the next 18 days? (Besides dodge Carla?)
In the "bad news" column, Omar lied about Lety's eye tic to make Fern think Lety slept with Aldo, so Fern would give up. Even Omar has deserted Team Fernando!
I think Carla is WORSE than Aldo. She didn't even give it a day before she started her chase of Fern. If he hadn't run away the previous night - she totally would have devoured him in bed. Sheesh.
I can't even get into discussion how silly the Alicia as President plot seems. All I can say is really LMFB writers? Really? That's the best you could come up with...What I don't understand is why no one could get on the phone and call Lety. Was that so hard to do? I guess maybe her own secretary PM doesn't remember she has a mobile phone now? Why didn't anyone (Lety, Omar or even Aldo) call into the office to let them know they were still tied up on their "business" trip. How this company has survived for so long is a mystery to me? I think they should sell off all the assets and close this business.
Tomas is an idiot. To me he proved why he'd never make a strong friend and shoulder for Lety to cry on...I honestly think there will come a day when his obsession for Alicia will overcome his loyalty to Lety. If he writes that check - I really am done with that character.
Yay for both Lety and Fern realizing that they both need some time alone. Bonus cheers for realizing Carla was manipulating him. Boo & hiss to them both if they get caught up in the charms of Carla or Aldo within the next few scenes ... I was glad that Lety finally grew a pair today - for a few minutes at least. It's an important point that she tells Aldo why won't you let me express my feelings. I'm hoping they explore that train of thought some more...plus I'm hoping she'll finally give him the business and tell him to f off until she gets herself together.
Marcia is a piece of work. How does she jump from Lety isn't in the office to Lety has gone to NYC to be with Fern? Why don't you just break up with him already Marcia, Marcia, Marcia? Please no more scenes with her again unless it's Fern flying to Europe to break up with her!
Great recap today Paula. Thanks!
As for Carla -- she goes too far with the manhandling. At least Aldo doesn't touch unless encourage even if he does invade Lety's space.
I think Fern realizing he needs the time alone is the biggest milestone I've ever seen from him. Hopefully he'll use his "independence day" to really grow. I also hope he'll actually stick to it!
However, as comparison, I doubt Armando gave Alejandra much detail at all... he probably was just very nice to her and told her in simple words that he had just gone through a heartbreaking experience and possibly that he wasn't ready for a new relationship... but from the conversations they have much later on, Armando tells Alejandra very little in comparison to what Fernando shares with Karla here.
The sense of relief when we saw him in the other room looking at Lety's pic, was still nerve wracking because I wasn't sure if Ms. CrazySkank was going to manipulate him back into the bedroom. Thank the heavens above Fern walked out of that apartment.....
The whole Alicia story is pure filler, time waster, irrelevant to the main plot. Such a waste of my time and overuse of the FF button on my remote. I think the only purpose may be to explain why the office gets redecorated. (Why it gets redecorated, I have NO idea...more plot wasting time??)
I'm so glad Fern realized Ms CrazySkank is manipulating him. Now if he can remember that and not fall into another trap of hers.
His adoration of Lety used to be based on, "I love her, I want her." Now it has advanced to admiration, "She's wonderful, she's perfect." Carla asked him to list her faults and in his mind she doesn't have any so he listed her qualities instead. Still no sacrificial love, but he's moving in the right direction.
Another step. He rejected Carla even when she came to him on a silver platter, and he rejected her EASILY, unlike Lety who struggled and waivered a bit. Unlike Marcia, Carla certainly stirs something in Fern considering how he reacted at the taxi. Plus they've just spent the day having fun together. Plus she's been brainwashing him all day. Plus he's a man and hasn't gotten any since Omar's apartment. Plus he knows that his Lety is in that cabin alone with Aldo. And STILL he easily walks away from the perfect environment Carla has orchestrated.
Let me get this straight the president of a company goes on an overnight business trip with a project manger and another executive or ex executive doesn't show up for work so the steno pool gets their knickers in a twist and along with an accountant or HR employee (never sure of what Lopez is) decide there has been a disappearance and a new president is called for. WTF? Alicia? No one thought to call Lety, to call the owner of the company, to call Fernando? They are all what my writer friends and I call TSTL (too stupid to live). The most egregious part of the whole story is that Tomas knew that Aldo and Lety had to stay overnight but he never mentioned a thing. Guess he isn't thinking with his big head since he went to work at Conceptos.
Oh yeah and here is a company in financial difficulties and the new president decides her first order of business is to redecorate. As if. This show is getting increasingly tedious.
Decie I agree with you wholeheartedly. This Alicia as President storyline is ridiculous....ugh.
As far as Fernando knows, he's resisting a one-nighter with no strings attached. (Carla obviously has a greater plan, but he doesn't know that.) Taking Carla's offer at face value, it would seem that Lety would probably never find out about about Fern's little fling. Low stakes, low risk, no consequences.
But Lety is wavering over a long-term commitment that could take her out of the dating pool permanently. (Or however long it would take to get rid of Aldo once she's agreed to be his novia... he's already glued to her side, and that's WITHOUT any commitment from her!)
It may have been easier for Fernando to resist Carla, for the reasons GP mentioned - he's kind of on overload where women are concerned, right now. But at the same time, he's basically saying no to a free pass. That's something Original Fernando could never have done.
Then again (again), he already said no to a free pass when Omar set him up with a hooker. Admittedly, the situation with Carla is slightly different, but not much different.
I think Lety would have won the "big steps" competition if she had given Aldo a definitive "no." Then he'd have to decide whether or not he could accept "just friends" status. Lety obviously isn't ready to risk losing his friendship.
You said, "Lety obviously isn't ready to risk losing [Aldo's] friendship." More than that. I think Lety's trying to keep one on the bench. In her mind, soon she'll be able to stop loving Fernando, and then she'll be available for this dream relationship with Aldo. So she wants to keep him on standby, ready for when that time comes. If she gave him a clear NO, he might clear out.
Again, in LFMB even if he is alone, or thinks he is alone, Fernando voices out his feelings. In YSBLF Armando kept most of this inside, all you would see was his facial expressions but JEA is so good that one glance spoke volumes.
Did episodes 233 & 234 get posted yet? Every once in a while I have trouble & they don't show up on my server. Unfortunately my VCR & I had a miscommunication today & I don't have a tape -- so I really hope I can find the summaries. Sorry to bother you but you told me last time that you usually post by 3pm EST & that I should contact you if I couldn't find it.
Home for one day and trying to catch up on a few episodes before I leave again tomorrow morning. I love Fernando in NY. What a cutie!
Alicia as the Prez? Puhleez...but very funny.