Thursday, May 01, 2014

Qué Pobres Tan Ricos April 30: your blog mom gets her feet wet dipping back into the delicious waters of the surreal landscape of the telenovela world.

Hello friends, it's been what, two years since I watched a single episode of one of our shows? I got my son to show me how to record Que Pobres (because I can't stay up that late for recapping) and I'm going to try to come on board as your Wednesday recapper. I haven't watched a single episode of this show before but I think there was a lot of refrito in this episode so it was a good one to start with. Or (it just occurs to me) did somebody recap this yesterday? Oh well, here it is anyway.

Nepo is good at convincing Wendy, with a combination of bluster and puppy dog eyes, that she should tell him who Lupita's new admirer is. He thinks it is Don Alejo. She confidently swears it's not, but he realizes she knows the identity of the actual pretender to the throne. Not a very good prevaricator, she names an "Angeles Palacios." He wants to call the RP editorial offices but doesn't. "Get a gypsy to read the cards and tell you what you want to know." They take this discussion to the street. She reminds him he could find somebody else (perhaps herself) who would love him even though he's such a brute. Also PSA: the fact he loves Lupita does not give him any rights over her.

Alejo meets his son at school. I think he won't tell Maxi his name. The kid asks "Why did you never look for me before?" "Your mother never told me, she was jealous, it wasn't my fault. But now, you have to trust me. Here's your new cellphone, I am #1 on the speed dial, #1 is me, PAPA. Don't tell your mother."



Isn't this next sequence a direct repeat of yesterday? At somebody's office, after a lot of cute dumb blond jokes (reminding me of an excellent French tshirt I bought my daughter in Paris that said "I am a brunette, speak normally."), Minerva opens the safe and finds just a notebook full of numbers. "I may be a natural blond, that doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I can tell MA there was no evidence in the safe." Mama admits that, for the first time ever, she is afraid of that pig Alejo.

At La Popular (what nice signage!) MA tells Saul the money he confessed to stealing from the Menchacas was actually stolen by his mother. Saul does not believe Bambi's assertion that there was nothing helpful in the safe because - up strides Tomas and Saul finds out he's the new lawyer on the fraud case. He's jealous. He and the new kid almost come to blows. Saul says Tomas is going to do illegal things. MA says Tomas is his new lawyer and gets to look at all the documents. Saul leaves in a huff. MA tries to pump Tomas for info about Maxi's father and some other matter but the kid lawyer says nothing. Admiringly MA says "You may be new but you clam up like a professional."

Lupita in kitchen. Carmelita and Lupita. She's worried about Alejo telling everything all at once to Maxi. So she comes clean to her son about the affair. She was very young at the time, Alejo was her first boyfriend, much older than she. They made a lot of plans but 'something unpleasant' happened and they parted. Maxi asks if his dad did something bad, she evades. She admits she never told Alejo he had a son. Maxi is grumpy. "Why are you allowed to tell lies and I can't?" He says he wants to get to know his dad. He runs off to fondle his new cellphone behind a bush. MA walks up to Lupita on the bench and wants to know if she's ok. "I just told my son about his father."

The widow of Don Aureliano gets caught by Sumatra man sneaking around in the house. They have a discussion: he admits he misses the days when he was somebody important. He and her husband had lots of discussions about everything. She is very sweet to him and says he is still important. Also, kids these days.

Don Bambi is in jail, Agent Gomez and some other guy come to interrogate/threaten him about his money laundering accomplices. "Don't you know Adolfo Jiron? How about your getaway chauffeur MA?" Bambi says nothing. Gomez and sidekick go back to her office where she's annoyed for some reason that Adolfo Jiron is still in Mexico.

Alejo is telling the whole "reveal" story to his admiring female accomplice, mocking his own very insincere sincerity as she applauds. His phone rings, he thinks it will be his son but instead it is a Bad Guy who says "Meet me in front of your house." My recording was full of black lines at this point so I missed the bad guy's threats but there was something about passports. Who was this evil fellow?

Nepo barges into a restaurant and asks Carmela, "Where is Guadalupe? Don't deny it, I know she's out with that outsider."

As MA and Lupita hold hands, she cries, he tells her everything will work out and that he loves Maxi "not just because he's yours, he's now a part of my family." Carmela calls and shouts to Lupita over the phone: "Run! Nepo is coming for you - and also for the three hundred thousand pesos you owe him."

The show must have run quite late because my recording ended here, sorry. Somebody fill us in? Over and out, see you next week.

Labels:


Comments:
Ugh, sorry, I see this is a recap of the same episode Julie recapped yesterday. Did they play the same show twice or did Julie recap from some other source? Did not mean to begin my re-entry with confusion!
 

Now I'm confused!! I see you tagged this as Pobres, but it still isn't showing up on my list!!
 

Maybe there is a time lag?
 

Thanks, Jane! I enjoy the times when we get two recaps. I think once there were three recaps of the same episode on a show! You did a great job picking up on most of the shenanigans, despite just dropping in now.

FYI- Lupe's son is named Emiliano, not Maxi.
 

You did a good job. I have one question though - What does echar ..lumbre mean? Nepo had a burning or twinkle or what?
 

Welcome back Jane and thanks for the recap.
 

the literal translation would be to 'shed light on' something, so i imagine it was said as if a light went on in Nepos' head... or Gwendy wanted Nepo to realize that Lupe never was and never would be his... not sure how it was used...
 

Jane,
I know it is confusing..
Lupe used to be secretary at the Editorial that belongs to the RPs. there she met Alejo and gave herself to him before she really got to know him well enough. So when she got preggers she found him with Mini (yes, Minerva the blonde opening the safe) and ran out without telling him about the baby she was expecting.
Miguel Angel is cousin of Alejo's so that is why MA said to Lupe that he loved Emiliano not only for being her son but also because he is truly a relative of his (a RP).
 

Martaivett,

I'm sorry for not being specific concerning the context. It was when Carmelita called Lupe to tell her Nepo was there and I'm guessing needing (wanting) to see Lupe.
 

Echar lumbre literally means to "throw fire." The complete saying is "echar lumbre por los ojos" - throwing fire through the eyes. This is used when someone is raging mad. It is equivalent to saying, "he's coming for you and he's breathing fire."
 

Thank you,

That's helpful.

 

ah! thanks anonymous... had not heard the phrase used that way but what you say makes a lot of sense if that is the context it was used in.
 

Hey Jane...how wonderful to see you recapping again. This one is definitely for the late-night owls but it's so well-done. Worth watching the next day on Hulu Plus if one has time.
 

"He runs off to fondle his new cellphone behind a bush." LOL!! I'd say you got more than your feet wet. You're all the way in now!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder