Friday, July 10, 2015

Weekend Discussion: Novela Stars in English!

Before we knew them as novela characters -- stereotyped or otherwise -- some were in English-language movies and TV.   Just to mention two here:


Elsa Cardenas (1935-- )

We know her as the Mother Superior in Fuego en la Sangre, Jovita in Lo Imperdonable, but who remembers her from 1963 as a hot lady matador competing with the equally hot Bond chick Ursula Andress for.... Elvis?




and here's part 1 of that totally silly movie, Fun in Acapulco:





Pedro Armendariz, Jr (1940-2011)

We lost him all too soon after his last novela, La Fuerza del Destino, just a day or so after Navidad, S.A. ran on Univision where he played Santa Claus,  However, in keeping with the James Bond connexion mentioned above, he was Presidente Hector Lopez in License to Kill back in 1989.


His dad -- perhaps not coincidentally -- was in From Russia With Love as Ali Kerim Bey:


But Pedro, Jr was in two English-language TV series where he played local law enforcement. Acapulco H.E.A.T. and Sweating Bullets, which outside the US was called Tropical Heat.  Here is the opening episode:



Have fun!




Labels: ,


Comments:
Wow..I saw some of those movies and had no idea those actors were actors I was watching in tns.

also, Big Ed Yanez looked familiar to me when I stared watching Destilando Amor. I recognized him from U.S. movies and TV shows including a DR.Quinn TV movie .
 

I usually have a great memory for names, which made me look for these when I realized that these actors are fully bilingual. I have heard of few US actors capable of acting in other languages. Among US entertainment people one usually only finds this in opera.
 

I like how it sees that even if some of these tn actors break out internationally or get roles internationally, they still seem to continue to return to tns. Eduardo Y, and Cristian de la Fuente both do this. But then you hear grumblings from others that they never intend to return once they get into the America entertainment industry, like William Levy and Eiza Gonzalez. I guess everyone hopes to become as huge of a star as Sofia Vergara, Salma Hayak, or Gael Garcia Bernal so that they never need to return to tns. But I don't think that's realistic for everyone, and crafting a career where you go back and forth might be wise. Only problem I see is that telenovela filming takes so many months and is such a long commitment.
 

Wow UA I'm impressed about your noticing, remembering, and keeping track. The most I ever do is go huh I think I recognize that guy from somewhere.


Its interesting how some tn actors do become big stars in the North American market and others don't - I wonder how that works and the why's behind it, if its just a time investment thing or different markets look for different things or what
 

Other novela actors currently (or recently) on American TV:

Jaime Camil in "Jane the Virgin".

Cristian De La Fuente in "Devious Maids".
 

Excellent topic, Urban. Thank you!

susanlynn, I had the opposite experience. I did not know Eduardo Yanez until Destilando. After, I went looking for other roles he was in. In The Punisher, he had scenes with John Travolta, and he blew him out of the water. I keep waiting for him to land a huge US role, he has the talent.

I love (and am relieved) he continues to come "home" but I wish him the same success in US TV as he had had here. Along with others who seek to work both.

Diana
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder