Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Vino El Amor #93, Tuesday, March 14, 2017: Vino el Rescues and Miscues
In this episode, both Miguel and Carito survive their torture via that grungy Mark for now. If only the audience could be spared from grungy Mark. David is torn - should he get a second opinion or go with Dr. Evil Martin Mull's (bought by the succubis) opinion? And everyone is stunned at the last thing we hear...
Here's what happened (warning, my captions were awful and Univision doesn't have the episode up yet for rewatch; will correct anything that needs correcting when I can (or correct me in the comments):
- Gut rescued Miguel. He asked him how he was doing and bloodied Miguel promptly passed out. Gut called for an ambulance.
- Luciana found David in the hospital. He told her about his fight with Fer.
- Carito somehow escaped from grungy Mark (this was never explained) and is back in employee quarters. She gets a visit from Perla and tells her what happened and is clearly very shaken. Perla, being the crappy friend she is, tells her not to call the police. Carito tells her to just go.
- Tano visits Fer in the hospital and she's happy.
- Gracie and Lilian are unhappy to find Luciana with David at the hospital.
- Adolfo and Erika talk about Miguel suddenly disappearing. Erika senses something is very wrong.
- Dr. Anderson tells the family that Perla has depression/feeds them a lot of bull about her condition (which of course Lilian and Gracie know is bull). Lilian and Gracie play it up and Lilian says this all started when David started dating Luciana. David is upset and says that it really started after Lisa died. Lilian contradicts him and says they need to face the truth to help Fer best.
- Erika continues panicking about Miguel and calls the sheriff's office. Hey Gut is hands on and picks up. Gut tells her he has bad news...
- Dr. Evil Martin Mull continues his scamming and wants to have lots of therapy with the family and Fer since Fer is at the brink of suicide and all (she's not if you are just a casual viewer). David is questioning things.
|Dr. Anderson is the character's real name, but cmon, he's Dr. Evil Martin Mull! Look at the resemblance!|
- Gut's bad news is that Mig was beat up pretty bad and taken to the hospital. Thanks, Gut. Erika and dad rush off.
- Gracie tells David that Dr. Evil is one of the best psychiatrists. David is a little confused but will get Fer into therapy as soon as possible. But he wants a second opinion.
- Carito drinks her tea shakily. Marta notices she's upset and offers help. Carito says no one can help. Marta says she'll be there if Carito needs her. Marta leaves the room and Carito tries to call Miguel. Voice mail. Carito berates herself for being a little harsh with Miguel in the last episode.
- Perla is trashing Juan's precious couch cushions. He comes in and asks what's up. She tells him about Carito. Juan's reaction is that Mark was only supposed to get rid of Miguel, LOL. Perla is a mite upset about all of this.
- Luciana is with Bobby and calls David. He just wanted to hear her voice. He's very emotional and tells her to tell Bobby he loves him.
- Poor Miguel is having his wounds cleaned. Erika comes in with Adolfo, who tells him he'll take care of things and leaves the room. Erika is glad to see Miguel alive.
- Lilian says if David wants a second opinion, we'll help him get one. Gracie says they need to get this taken care of before David figures out they are behind the scamming doctor.
- Erika is concerned about Miguel's involvement in the immigrant trafficking investigation. He could only think of her after the baddies beat him up. She kisses him and it hurts his beat up lips. Then he tells her that he won't be visiting the other vineyard for a long time, having just discovered that Luciana is love with David.
- Cesar is skeptical of Dr. Evil's diagnosis. He thinks Fer is processing things as a normal, bereaved, raised by two succubi for three years while grumpy dad checked out, teen girl in love whose grumpy dad won't let the nice guy see her, would do. OK, Cesar didn't say all that but you just know he's secretly thinking it.
- Susan tells Luciana what happened to Miguel. She wants to go visit him. Susan stops her.
- Carito has packed her suitcase and is ready to leave employee quarters. Marta comes in and sees her ready to go. Carito tells Marta that she is feeling very sad and tired and is going on a trip. She asks Marta to say goodbye to everyone and hugs her goodbye. Marta looks at her going with a concerned look.
- The next day, Luciana visits Erika to find out more. Erika can't believe what an egotist Luciana is. How can she think he wants to see her after their spat yesterday? Luciana tells her she's going to see him with or without her. Erika tells her that Miguel deserves to be happy and Luciana should stop bothering him. Luciana tells Erika that Miguel gets to decide if he wants to see Luciana or not and stomps out.
- David tells Gracie and Lilian that Fer is being released to recuperate at home with her family. They are thrilled.
- David continues that Fer needs quiet and rest. So he reminds Lilian and Gracie that they were kicked out of the house and he wants the two of them to go now.
|Not so thrilled.|
- David is hiding in the home office. Luciana visits. He's anguishing over Fer. His selfishness caused all this. Ding Ding Ding. Luciana tells him what her mom said. She's thinking Marta is right and them being together hurts Fer.
- Juan shows up at the competent vineyard. Erika suspects him of involvement in Miguel's beating. He denies it. He just wants to work with them to beat David's vineyard. Erika totally nails Juan with an accurate accusation of his involvement in various sundry dirty deeds.
- David tells Luciana that Dr. Evil thinks Fer tried to commit suicide.
- Oh, apparently Juan is visiting Erika and Adolfo as the new olive oil farm owner in town. That didn't work out for him. They make him feel unwelcome and he leaves.
- David is beating himself up for neglecting Fer after Lisa's death. Good. He should.
- Gracie tells Lilian they better do something radical to keep themselves at the mansion. They come up with a new scheme.
- Luciana tells David he's a good father. She suggests David get another medical opinion. Maybe Fer is just a little bit rebellious and attention-seeking. David insists Fer was suicidal. They discuss the therapy and Lilian and Gracie needing to go.
- Jeez, they discharged Miguel already. Erika helps him into her office/bedroom. I guess Luciana didn't visit him after all. Miguel is acting like nothing happened but he's in pain. Erika mentions that Luciana came looking for him.
- David comes to confront Sonia about giving Fer the phone and Tano's love letter. Second offense on smuggling the phone! Sonia pleads her case; she was only trying to make Fer happy. Sonia promises not to do it again and asks to help. He tells her that there's nothing she can do. But Gracie and Lilian will be leaving soon.
- Erika and Miguel talk out the Luciana thing and end up making out as he tells Erika she's the woman for him.
- Gut visits Marta. But he's really looking for Carito. Marta tells him she went to Mexico. Gut asks her to have Carito call, because he needs to question her about Miguel's beating. WHAT???? say Leon, Tano, and Marta. He catches them up and tells them it has something to do with the illegal trafficking.
- David visits Fer. She tells him that the doctor told him to tell the truth, so here it is: Knowing he is with Luciana makes her feel bad.
- Gut visits Miguel. Miguel thanks him for saving his life. Susan was the one who called Gut and got him out there looking for Miguel. Gut wants to discuss the case and Carito. He thinks she's running away to Mexico because she's involved with the traffickers. Miguel says she's a good person and wouldn't do that, but might know something. Gut says they need to find her.
- David doesn't like Dr. Evil's opinions and tells Fer they need to find another doctor because she seems worse. Fer doesn't like that idea.
- Marta is visiting Fer and Gracie interrupts so Marta leaves. Gracie bought Fer a phone. Fer is depressed no more!
- Marta and Luciana meet up in hospital. Marta is upset because Fer seemed so sad during her visit. Luciana wants to talk to Fer. Marta stops her. Luciana is always complicating things. Marta encourages her to stop seeing David. Luciana tells her it's their decision.
- Musical montage. Fer tells Dr. Evil her truth. Marta, Leon, and Tano visit Miguel. Dr. Evil and David talk. Susan and Luciana make wine or something. Fer and Tano happily Facetime. Luciana helps Bobby with homework while David stews.
- Marta is dusting Fer's room and rearranging her knickknacks when Lilian comes in. They have a huge fight about Fer, Luciana and David. Lilian says if Marta really cared about the family, she'd tell her daughter to stay away from David. Marta says Fer will be fine with therapy and Luciana and David have the right to decide their own lives. To which Lilian goes there and says, "Luciana is a bitch like you." (I admit, I laughed.)
- Marta goes there right back, saying David loves Luciana the way that Lilian's husband Fernando loved Marta! Oh that gets things really going, and they take it out to the hallway.
- Lilian screams that Fernando only used Marta in bed. Marta screams he wanted her. Lilian screams at Marta to stop saying crap and that Marta only seduced Fernando to get what she wanted, her children. They are fighting so loudly that Luciana, who is David's office, overhears. As does the returning Fer and David. They all hear Marta scream at Lilian that Fernando loved Marta and she loved him, his caresses and he knew the pain he was causing Lilian. All look shocked.
"OK, Cesar didn't say all that but you just know he's secretly thinking it"
During an operation is a little late to contemplate a second opinion.
BOOM ! Yowzers what was that? Somebody shootin at me?
Nope the GracielaMobile just came by.. That was a BACKFIRE. You buzzards still need a new roost.
David this all is because of me, so I am going to dump you and head for the hospital to be with Miggs since I just heard he got his butt beat AGAIN.
So David wants a second opinion, Cesar recommended it and so did Luci so will he?
"Oooh Miguel you are all beat up. I'm glad you are out of the clinic. I was so worried about you."
Oh I love you Erika you are the best woman in the world.
"I Luuuurrrve you too Miggy"
Hey Erika guess what the mean old bad guys didn't hurt?
I had wanted to call this show Vino el Glaciar based on the speed it has been moving.
But if David does not get a second opinion I believe we should call it Vino el Lobotomia.
OT OT OT Sue I saw on the news your area had a "25 bottles of wine" weather forcast.
•Dr. Anderson tells the family that Perla has depression. . .
I'm cheating by reading this at work. . .can't wait to finish this and join in the convo!
THANK YOU! Back later!
Lilian screams at Marta to stop saying crap and that Marta only seduced Fernando to get what she wanted, her children.
I understood Lilian to scream that Marta wanted Fernando to help support her children. I wish I were at home to look at it again, myself because it makes a big difference:
1. If it's the way you heard it, that implies that both Marta's children are Fernando's?
2. If it's the way I thought I heard it, Marta had the children by Fernando, was cheating on him and getting money from Fernando to help support or maintain her children?
Jeezo-pete! Either way, she IS a zorra! Whoa! Please, what did others think she said!?
Thank you for adding your trademark wry wit and humor "cmon, he's Dr. Evil Martin Mull! Look at the resemblance!" made me smile.
Miguel was a jackass in talking to Erica about Luci, which certainly ruined the afterglow. Erica forged ahead, knowing what she was getting into but I still felt for her. That is, until she took it out on Luci, who had every right in the world to visit with Miguel.
Kirby, what you and tofie have been saying about Luci leaving David to go back to Miguel might well end up true. But, in fairness, I think Luci is getting pummeled from every angle. If David tells her they can't be together, her world will unravel. She is trying to stand by him with love and wants to speak with Fer but no one will let her (I'm not sure she should but at least she wants to). And then! "Marta stops her. Luciana is always complicating things". Shut. Up. Marta.
dy and Lila, I knew a bombshell hit at the end but I did not know what was said. If Lili meant (and it's true) that Marta used her husband to get pregnant, that would be catastrophic. I would forgive Lili (for most) of the venom she's directed at Marta. I hope this is clarified as we really need to understand exactly what happened.
David seems to be thinking and acting calmly and rationally. I hope it continues as his seeking a second medical opinion is vital.
dy, thank you!
Kirby: Erika going beast-mode on Luciana is nothing new.
Lila: FerBrat still BRATTY & Uppity.
What I understood is that Marta already had children by the time she became Fernando's mistress, so the idea that Luciana and Leon could be Fernando's children is out of the question.
I wish whoever did the editing for this episode would have shown us how Carito got away, because I saw no explanation of that one.
Well got to go to work now. More later, I have a busy day ahead.
If Luciana and David break up it would be unnecessary to attempt another relationship with Miguel if she doesn't love him. She'll do it though as long as he keeps the door open and hate it for Erika but that door is wide open.
My guess is Carito didn’t escape, but that skidmark saw she was sufficiently scared to scram out of town so he let her go.
Uh-oh, Marta has fallen off her pedestal. I hope she’ll be completely honest with Lucíana and León. Marta, no matter how rotten Lil is, it’s just bad form to brag about bagging somebody’s else husband. His caresses, really? I’m glad Ramón didn’t witness that spectacle.
Miguel, all I can say is that you have crossed a line when our Diana calls you a jackass because Diana always gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. When I think of the quote "When in doubt, do the kindest thing" , I always think of Diana.
Kirby..I think the snowfall ended up at 14 inches. The neighbor finally came last night about ten to plow our driveway. Another snowday today. No wine here, but plenty of coffee, mint tea, juice, water. We are good.
regarding Carito, yeah, the last we saw her , she was tied to a column and Dirty Harry was threatening her and leering at her in that smarmy way of his. Then, presto chango, she is pulling her carry-on out the door at The Employee Hilton. Que?
Stuff to do. Later, gators.
"Lilian: The only thing you did
With my husband was seducing him
To get everything you want
You could do this to be able to
Keep your damn
I'm not sure either but no mention of money by me or Univision. Of course this is Vino el Amor, whatever was meant will be repeated ad nauseum.
What an audience for this revelation. Per Niecie's comment it was a good thing that Ramon wasn't in the audience. That Fernanda was is going to escalate her stupid hatred of Luciana because it will also be directed at Marta.
All over something that had to have happened before she was born. In fact, I am wondering now whether Fernando was still alive when FerBrat was born, since she has never mentioned him.
David needs to continue to insist on that second opinion. However, this incident could be the thing that keeps him from throwing the succubi out of the house and that is not good.
Miguel should not have been released from the hospital yet. Brian's description of the beating was enough that Miguel should have been in for at least two more episodes.
Erika is smart in her assessment of Juan but I'm wondering whether revealing that was the right move. She could end up becoming a target.
Since I saw the Mexican broadcast, I will tell you that this seemed complete. There was no missing scene showing Carito escaping or being released. However, it would be the mark of the SkidMark's sadism that he would release her to always be looking over her shoulder for when he'd come after her again. For her to go to Mexico now is the smartest thing she could do. There is no road that leads to Miguel. She can consider Perla to be a former friend, even an enemy and as long as she doesn't tell anyone else what is going on nobody can help her.
DY, yes I did hear somewhere in Lilian's exchange the word "dinero" which means money.
Oh yeah, speaking of disjointedness: Are we to assume the therapy made Fer all better and now she and Daddy are getting along famously?
What happened to the second opinion?
What happened to Grace and Lilian being kicked out?
Did David never discover that Fer has a brand new phone, compliments of DisGraceful?
What will the confession of being a lying zorra do to the adoring Fer? Will she try to off herself again? I can see DisGraceful really making hay with this revelation, especially if it has a negative impact on Ferocious! "For the good of the faaaaamily, you must put those two rameras out of OUR house!"
All of us know that FerBrat isn't suicidal. She has no history of it and we saw her take the pills when she was drunk on booze and therefore lacking any sense of judgement. She didn't read the prescription label and therefore didn't know that one shouldn't mix these pills with alcohol. She had no issue with the opening of the Lisa Shrine. David giving her the Plot Earrings at her birthday party was the real beginning of that phase. That Fernanda had no issue with giving away her mother's things was a sign that she had gotten over the loss (almost three years later).
Lillian couldn't get over it then and I don't think she was faking that. DisGracie took advantage of this.
We have all witnessed DisGracie's brainwashing. David hasn't although he knows about some of it at second- or third-hand. He has heard the nasty comments by both succubi. He has a best friend who is a great voice of reason and who knows or seems to know that DisGracie intends to bag him.
In other words, Cesar needs to come to the rescue.
Absolutely stupid! Oh, well. Whatever.
If Luci and Marta were on shaky ground before, things can not be better now. (Second UOTY Lila)
I want Cesar, Tano and Master Bobby to corner David in one of his offices which only has one door and sit him down for a Man to Man.
I will buy into a character who is a bit too trusting, but here it just takes an unenjoyable amount of effort to not be swimming in Sue's #WaitWhat !s
This is still an interesting show, but they throw out all these 'clues' which I am gullible enough to memorize, just knowing I will use them later, and then they are forgotten. (by them, not ME)
I hope Tofie and I are wrong about Luci and she regains her resolve, but it always looks like David is walking on eggshells any broken one of which will send her back to her "FRIEND"/Suckface Buddy Miggy.
Which -- as we all know -- has role models like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Bruce Willis.
So, what does David do when Lisa dies? He checks out emotionally and otherwise. We can't even be sure he conducted much business during those two years. Cesar wasn't there to snap him out of it by talking sense to him. That is what allowed this situation to build up.
During David's recent fear that FerBrat tried to off herself (which followed several huge tantrums) his fear that she will do this again is clouding his judgement. This is the blood in the water that the two female sharks are smelling. They know that FerBrat wasn't suicidal. They are manipulating her into this behavior. What will be their undoing going forward is that while Lillian doesn't want this situation to go too far DisGracie has no conscience. She doesn't care if FerBrat does commit suicide if that is what it would take to drive David into her Venus Flytrap.
Like some others here, I notice the lack of romance in recent novelas , including this one. Romance seems to have disappeared along with priests and older, wiser adults who advise the star crossed lovers. Now, it's psychologists and maybe sex. #timesarechanging
We tend to keep track of the show's canon more accurately than the writers who are kind of rambling from point to point.
Yikes, Lilian really grabbed Marta last night. She seems to be unraveling as fast as Disgrace. Wow, I thought, what was it about Marta's dusting style set her off like that ? Do people hold a grudge like that in real life? Oh wait, yeah.
Anything remotely related to that is a means to an end rather than the end.
So I guess they didn't shoot Miguel? And Carito escaped without explanation?? Was she rescued by Superman? Did Mark just let her go?
I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the doctor's resemblance to Martin Mull!
David should be very suspicious if Lil helps him get a doctor for a second opinion. She's never been helpful about anything before, yet suddenly she produces two psychiatrists?
Anyway, a second opinion won't be much help if Fernanda is already convinced of what she's been told to think.
So Luci was going to see Mig in the hospital, in spite of Susan's advice. I knew she would, but hoped she wouldn't. Anyway, it appears she didn't.
And what is with Miguel telling Erika he won't go to vineyard LA because Luci is in love with David? Why did he tell her that? And why would Luci being in love with David make a difference? I mean, any more than Mig being in love with Erika?
Carito leaving. Good riddance. And good luck.
I'm sorry I missed another Lil/Marta fight (like the suitcase thing last week). I hope what she said is explained tonight.
Kirby, every time I see that railing I think someone's going to fall. Wheeeee!
Susanlynn: "Then, what will she do?" Good question. She's not interested in parenting, she's not interested in the wine business, what does she think she's going to do all day?
Carito somehow getting away from Mark or being cut loose with a warning...it would literally have taken one line of dialogue to clear this up, either way, and yet this fakakta show couldn't even do that. Carito herself deciding she was, apparently, finally over Perla and then to just GTFO actually made sense, and Yanet Sedano did a really good job with it, but Show almost literally tripped over itself to get to that point and it frigging sucked. (See also Cesar and Susan abruptly being a thing.)
Erika putting Luciana on blast for screwing up Miguel's life...under the circumstances, IMHO, it made sense. But coming after he ran pretty much straight from Carito telling him Luci and David were a thing to put Luci on blast for apparently playing with his feelings (beatdown notwithstanding), it still seemed oddly...undeserved. (Or perhaps "unworthy" is a better word--and by that I mean Miguel.)
And then there was Marta and her damn #gothchickclogs and the argument with Lilian and I'm thanking all y'all with non-sucky Spanish comprehension skills for the more literal translations of what was said. If Lilian did indeed accuse Marta of getting with Fernando for money for her children, it implies that Marta had already had Luci and Leon by the time Fernando came along...or it can also imply that, yes, at least one if not both of Marta's kids are Fernando's. It's still stunningly vague--but being the proverbial elephant in the room for Marta, it came out in perhaps the soapiest fashion that didn't involve a wedding. So...halfsies?
The catch, and I wonder if I may well be putting more thought into this than Show itself, is this: even if she was saying it just to hurt Lilian, and I'm giving even odds on that, Marta verbally napalmed just about all the moral superiority she had left at this point. And this does wonders for that faint VapoRub-ish scent of hypocrisy about her, too. How does Show walk her back from that?
After all the rotten things I have said about her I feel a little less guilty now.
Actually a LOT.
If Marta does have any moral superiority, it has yet to be revealed.
(Okay, so she hasn't conspired with Juan to swindle David, and she doesn't terrorize the staff, and the kids like her. Big deal, so she's better than Lil. That's setting the bar way too low.)
Leon is older than FerBrat. He is two or three years younger than Luciana who was 10 in the opening episode. We can assume now that Leon is about 22 and we know that FerBrat is 18. Therefore, anything that happened between Fernando and Marta was before FerBrat was born. Marta and Marcos may have already been employed at the Robles vineyard before Lisa and David were married, but not that much before since Leon was born in Mexico. That novela cliche is the only way any of this makes sense.
It is very likely that tonight's episode will pick up from where we ended last night.
This will put David in a very bad position. He knows that Lillian and DisGrace are doing Fernanda no good. This revelation might move him to fire Marta or not let her near Fernanda. It will also either create better understanding or more anger from Luciana.
I third (or fourth) the suggestion that Cesar, Tano, and Bobby corner David in his office until he listens to them.
That was a good list of what Disgrace doesn't plan to do with Dave . What, indeed, is left? 24 hours in a day to fill.
She would then celebrate the day that FerBrat would go away to college and find a way to ship Bobby off to a boarding school in Europe.
Then she would be bored to the point of her own tantrums and Lillian would beg for enough dinero to take a trip of her own.
I wasn't suggesting that Marta was ruined in the story forever. Just that she doesn't, in my opinion, look any worse now after this "revelation" than she already did before.
Odds are, when the full story is finally told, she'll actually look LESS bad.
I noticed that Miguel & Gutierrez were coming up with some strategy on Carito.
David needs to put Marta out along with Lilian and DisGraceful and get restraining orders against all of them and let Fer go, too, if she must be with her "beloved" Nana and Tia! What a mess!
Now if only someone would put the possessive creep Miguel in his place next time he rages at Luciana.
I laughed out loud and fumbled (badly)in trying to explain to my cube mates what had me on the verge of tears.
You made your argument well. Marta may have a sweeter countenance than Lili but she's done some pretty bad things. A kind expression doesn't wipe the slate clean, does it? And, it shouldn't.
Marta tried to destroy Lilian's family and almost succeeded.. . . Who'dathunk I could feel empathy for Lilian? I totally see her thinking Luciana is following in Marta's footsteps! Lilian also doesn't know that DisGracie is having the Quackologist make Fer think she wanted to commit suicide. She was against that plan and I believe really thinks Fer might really be unstable. Wait until she finds out that DisGracie killed her beloved Lisa!
Stevie, if you're out there, it is looking like they're changing the face of at least one villain like they did in A Favorita We don't have to bore our friends with details since we already discussed it once, but Lilian is looking less like a bitch after this episode and more like poor hound dog!
I bet they are pulling an Eladio on us.
Bill, you get total credit for Evil Martin Mull, I think you said it first? At least I saw you say it before I said it.
Kirby, I've thought Lilian has been looking much better past week or two. A change in makeup.
Susan, I wanted to screencap the pillows. Mad that Uni didn't put the full episode video up this morning.
Susanlynn, the lack of romance in most of the telenovelas is why Camino Destino was definitely my favorite one of the past year. That couple had so much chemistry they ended up together in real life. Even if the show did stretch out a prison term to split them up for a few weeks, you knew they'd work it out.
Jeff Foxworthy for a consulting opinion? "Sir, your daughter is not suicidal, but she might be a redneck."
As to the Marta-as-homewrecker notion, I think that the home was probably already wrecked before Marta met Fernando. Lillian has been a greedy bitch her entire life and whatever Fernando was about wasn't enough for her. He probably got the cold shoulder from her after whatever period of time before Marta came along. However, since it was likely that Marta was married to Marcos already I'm at a loss to decipher her motive.
Remember that narcissists always project their own faults and motives onto others because they believe that there are no others. That is the degree to which they are self-centered and that is exactly what DisGrace is doing with Luciana. She is Lillian on steroids.
And, TBH, you're right in that Marta's affair coming out doesn't really make her look that much worse...well, to us out here. We've been bemoaning her hypocritical bemoaning Luciana's theoretical following in her clogprints for weeks. In-show, other than a judgmental streak the size of Lilian's ego regarding her second favorite daughter, her status as wise old nana is kind of shot and...that's about it. OTOH, since that coming out hurts Luciana, that gives David one more person to go off on in his Week of Relative Sanity. That could be fun. Sort of.
If Marta was a s frumpy then as she is now it was probably just a catch as catch can for her.
From an American guy's perspective the Spanish guys can typically expect fairly high quality.
Kirby...ah..quality..like beauty is , perhaps, in the eye of the beholder .
Dy77...Love the first photo of Lilian and Dave. With that scenic wallpaper behind them, it looks like they are sitting in the middle of a forest on a retreat. The looks on both of their faces is priceless.
Her maiden name was given as "Smith" which is about as generic an Anglo name as it gets. There may be more than a half million people in the US with this name and of all socio-economic backgrounds. I strongly doubt that she was To the Manor Born.
Maybe she herself was the result of a liason between a master and a servant. Writers leave such things open to our scrutiny when they don't give families of origin to characters of the older generation in a series. ;)
I doubt that she would have much money on her own; she would have to go back to work! We don't know what level of education she attained or what she could do for a living. Her racist comments that put Brian in political hot water indicate she doesn't enough in the way of social graces to learn to keep such comments to herself.
We don't know anything about Fernando except that he was Mexican, had dark hair, lived at least until Lisa and DisGrace were in their teens, and had an affair of some kind with Marta. We don't know what he did for a living, how much money he made, or how much he had left when he died. We know that the San Diego apartment is in DisGrace's name but that's all.
We also don't know any backstory about Marta and Marcos beyond that they were Mexican, they were married in Mexico, their children were born there, and he had expertise in the planting and cultivation of wine grapes. In the scenes he had with the adult Luciana we heard very little about other relatives and didn't see the cousin he mentioned.
We have heard Lil say she always had a thing for Latin men. When she said this either to DisGrace or to Sonia (with a specific reference to Brian) she said it with a certain amount of self-reproach or shame. Well, Brian could tempt anybody, but Lil's attitude in that conversation almost said that she felt she should go more for the Jeremy Irons type.
I heard what Cynthia heard. Marta just wanted him to help support HER kids.
There are still some 80 comments to savor, so I will post this now, hoping it's not too late.
Bitch, harpie, schemer, neglectful, whatever Lilian was, no woman has a right or excuse to sleep with that woman's husband. It almost sounds like Lilian is being blamed for Fernando's infidelity. The only two people responsible for an apparently long-standing adulterous relationship from which Marta apparently benefited monetarily as well, is Fernando and Marta. I don't believe in "oh the shrew wife pushed him to it." Fernando's dead so he's met his Maker, as it were, but Marta is alive and the reverberations of her infidelity are still being felt. Marta didn't have to stay in Lilian's face, in her home, and continue the illicit and malignant rivalry she entered into when she slept with Lilian's husband. The crazy slut constantly talks about HER place in the house and when she thought Lilian was going to have to leave, she even said SHE would be the abuela! Lilian may be a hanger-on but the kids are her grandkids. Marta is a cynical manipulator who sacrificed the unity of her own family to hang around to be a thorn in Lilian's side and hopefully somehow become the Lady of the Robles household through her tie to the kids. Lilian may not be a prize but how would any woman feel sharing a home with the woman who cheated with her late husband and who has won the affection of her grandkids: they'd be a bitch, too! Lili's a piece of work but so is Marta! I'm done with that ho! The only way Lili can be worse (in character) than Marta is if she killed Fernando!
Ought to be a good show tonight!
Well, the scene on the balcony between Un-Juliet and Never-Romeo will surely change all that. David, in good conscience will have to dismiss Marta. (Will Luciana and Leon go with her?) With no one else around to help with Fer--and he doesn't trust Sonia completely any more--it's DisGracie and Lil to the rescue. Lil is the damsel done wrong.
Julie--Marta stuck around for 20 years, taking Lil's abuse because this is a telenovela. Remember the mantra--It's only a telenovela..it's only a telenovela. It works for me. Clears up inconsistencies immediately.
Well, well, well, there may not be that much romance on screen -- but apparently a new offscreen Vino el Amor couple has sprung up: Tano and Erika! Picture of them here on his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRocMGKAFKU/
Vivi--Come back in a month or two, maybe we'll have some answers for you. Urban put a pretty good timeline together to tide us over, though.
I seem to recall that Marta said it happened a long time ago, while they and Fernando were still in Mexico. Maybe they came over together, but that would have meant Lil was already married to him and I doubt she would have gone to Mexico and mixed with "those Latinos." OTOH, Marta may be lying through her teeth.
Wasn't he called "Don" Fernando? (Or am I remembering Un Camino.) Normally you don't use that term on a humble person. Maybe he came from a good family, no money, came on a student visa, overstayed the visa, met Lilian and voila!
There still a lot of holes in any of the theories we come up with. If any of the writers read this blog, they are probably sitting around the table laughing at us.
Now getting on to a hot bath after which I have to do the recap of tonight's Mujeres de Negro.
Lila..I guess that I am a pearl clutcher, too. I love pearls.
Kirby, just as I have suspected..a sense of humor and a good heart underneath a bit of bravado. Laughter is important .
Back to VEA for a second: Since my most recent post it occurred to me to wonder why Lillian's Spanish is so perfect when she is supposed to be a gringa. Historically the only gringos who speak perfect Spanish are genius doctors or corporate CEOs, so why is hers perfect?
The answer is that she is half Latina and doesn't acknowledge it. There are two scenarios under which this could have happened:
1. Her Latina mother was a maid in a wealthy US household and was knocked up by a son in that family or:
2. Her mother was a daughter of a wealthy family and was knocked up by the Latino chauffeur. She was sent away for the duration of her pregnancy because the family was Catholic, gave birth to Lillian, and returned as if from a vacation. Baby Lillian was raised by a Latino servant couple. She learned at some point that she was not their biological child and deeply resented having been raised in the servants' quarters when she should have been "upstairs."
Now off to Encino Blanco.....
Marcelo wears a dumb heavy-duty neck scarf and jacket when everyone else wears thin spaghetti-strap tops because of the heat. Anyway he's still just as cute.
Add to that historically gringos who speak perfect Spanish might be ones who were raised in a Spanish speaking country and are completely bilingual.
I noticed that Gabriel Soto's American English is better than Lil's British English. Juan Vidal's (Gut) English has gotten much better.
I made this note in the early episodes. Here for WIW: "Lil shares with Mr. Policeman that her husband cheated on her and had a child with another woman. Could that be Luciana and why she hates the child so?"
So the debate ain't over till it's over.
I'll have more to say about that after the recap of tonight's episode is up.
© Caray, Caray! 2006-2017. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.