Thursday, May 11, 2017

Vino el Amor y Se Fué, Postmortem, 5-11-2017


ALONG CAME LOVE, PASSED THROUGH AND KEPT ON GOING




Disgraced Came Along and Ruined Everything
FIRST AND FOREMOST
Julie:  Here are some lessons I've learned from VEA:
- Women are hopelessly fickle.
- Men are hopelessly fickle.
- True love is a fantasy.
- People really can change...they can get meaner and dumber.

Susanlynn: So many lessons learned via this show....all of them depressing .  In most telenovelas in the past, women viewers want to be with the galan and male viewers want to be him. In this show…not so much.

Now, presenting a DisGraced Graciela with a few Dudveeds thrown in for variety. This round-up is not comprehensive or complete. Many of the contributions come from 4 of our wordsmiths, Kirby, Susanlynn, Lila and Julie. The Patio thanks them for the diversion and helping us through this show.

Urban: on Graciela: “She is a legend in her own mind. She thinks she is All That and a Bag of Chips.

DISASSOCIATIONS
DisGracefully Diabolical
(Somethng which) DISfigures DisGrace for life
DisGrunt
DisGrate(sonmynerves)
DisGag
DisGnaw
DisGravefiller
DisGash
DisGhostBuster
DisGiddyup Dave
DisGointohell
DisGoinstraighttohell
Disgruntled
Dissatisfied
Disenchanted
Displeased
Disappointed
DisCrazilyfocused
Disturbed
DisGust
Disheartening
DisTurded?
DisGanGreen
DisGagmewithaspoon

DisGrab
DisGrinch
DiseGregious
DisGlassy-eyed
DisGory!
Disencouraged
DisGhastly
DisGorged
Dopeveed
Disingenuous
DisGlom
DisAppointing (ending)

DisGonnadie
(can’t wait until) stone cold Disturbed is discovered, dismantled, and discarded
DisGonarrhea
DisGonadeater
DisGrazin'inDavid'sgrass
DisGotIt
DisGranola (nutty as)
DisGrabbit
Disgusting
DisGrindingMyGears
Grassiola, … she’s gonna keep openning the Gates of Glory to him
DisGetSome
Don'tSayNo-veed
DisGihad
Discovered and Discharged
Dismembered
Disowned
DudVid Marbles

Dishonest, DisCeitful, DesPicable, DisTorted
DisDumb and left him DisOriented
deliberate deshabille of Gracie
DisGracefulness
DisGiddyup's "relationship”
DisGravedigger
DisGraveDweller
Disgamey
GrwbbyGrace
DisFunk and MomFunk
DisZyGrace
Dud N' Dis and faaaaaaamiiiillyyyy
DisCount Labotomies
DisGotdammnedtohell
DisGrope
DisGracious
DisGanGreen
Grabbygracie

DisGonebonkersalongtimeago
DisGraveyardbound
DisLyinLittleBitch
DisGoinToDaChapel
Disguised
Disprozac
Bridezilla planning her weddddinnggg
Gracie's Trix rabbit/Cocoa Puffs cuckoo freakouts
Grace is the ultimate fly Wrangler...Whisperer?
[David is a] DUmbunny
DisGhost (OfYourComingDoom)
Dispicable
DisGaze
DisinteGrates!

Dudweed
DisGlorious
DisindiGestion
DisGiveittome
Distinguished
DisGotBusted
DisGlock
DisGolly
DisBang!
DisGoodAim
Disabled
DisGuiltyas-sin (or DisGuiltyassassin)
Dumbo
DisGonnamarrycomehellorhighwater
DischargingaGun
DisGotItComing
DisGotcha!
DisGone!
DisconflaGration
DisGunshots
DisGunslinger
DisGunsNRose'
DisCrazie
Discouraged and Discombobulated
Distracted

DisGoingCrazier
DisGarbage
DisGiiveItToMe
Disintegrating
DisGuntotinpsycho
DisGoForJugular
Disparate
DisGoneGirl
DisCrazieGoneWild
DisBuggy

DisGunSlinger
NumbNutley
DisGoinTaDaSlammer
unhinged, desperate DIS-integrating, gun-totin DES-Graciada
Dis-armedGrace
Dum-vid
DisGoingdowninflames
MachineGunGracie
DisGallows
DisGoingToHellFaSho!
UnGraced

These are not all the best of the best nuggets to plate up, but serve as a reminder of what we endured to get to el fin.

A LONG DRY SPELL
I think we need a miracle of turning water into wine.
Ironically, I'm sitting here at work with a frosty bottle of water reading all this.
Now for a walk along the ocean. I guess I will grab a frosty bottle of water for the walk.
While you're down by the ocean don't forget to have cake!

DISCOURSE ON CRUSTS
Very funny that Lil couldn't figure out how to use the knife. Thanks for including that in the recap. I was confused by her confusion.

I think Lil was trying to decide if she should cut the crusts off or not. ;)

I have never understood that unless it was done to make all the sandwiches on a plate look identical. With good bread the crust is always the best part!

I'm with you on crusts. What is better than bread crust? Toasted bread crust. Totally OT but I love my toast really, really brown, just a shade or two away from burned. And as it turns out, I read not too long ago that burned toast is bad - it should be a golden color only. Geez, couldn't even have that.

I couldn't figure out whether Lil was puzzled by the sandwich or the knife. I looked up "orilla" and all I got was "edge" or "shore." So it either had to be the edges of the bread or the edges of the knife. I didn't think it would be so hard to decide whether to cut off the crusts or not, but if the sandwich was for Bobby I guess she wouldn't know.

And, she might have been debating HOW to cut the crusts. That was a big sammie...:) and I don't think Lili has much hands on carving or cutting experience.

No bread crust for me, thanks. I'll eat it because I hate to throw away food, but if it were to mysteriously disappear, that'd be fine with me.

She was asking herself whether he preferred his crust on or off, it being telling that she didn't even know such a crucial piece of information. Like not knowing how old the Grandkids are.

Easy fix. Cut off the crusts and serve them "on the side" with a dipping sauce.

And, weirdly, I can't help thinking that Lilian vs. sandwich and Gracie vs. Luci Round MCMVIII highlighted how both Lil and her daughter tend to not think more than a few moves ahead--if that. It's probably more pronounced with Lil, since it almost always results in her bitchfacing or looking confused at something or someone--like that poor sandwich--but both of them tend to be so very convinced that they're smarter than everybody around them and can control everything. (Again, more pronounced with Lil. Graciela actually has enough of a track record between Joselo, David, and Fernanda to back it all up.)

I noticed the perplexed look on Lillian's face as she gazed at the sandwich that Marta had started to make. It looked as though she has not made many sandwiches lately. I , like Marta, have made many, many in my lifetime and could probably make one in my sleep. Peanut better and jelly sandwiches were in my younger daughter's school lunch every day..picky eater. My kids did not like crusts.

GOURMETGRACE [her signature dish is toast]
Oohh..toast with cinnamon sugar...and hot chocolate. Toast could be Grace's thing.
Toast with peanut butter would be a solid breakfast for a growing boy. Yeah, about those pancakes she "made" for Booboo....
She could toast some french bread... that's a sort of french toast
...and put a little good cheese on too. Voila..gourmet luncheon food.
Right now, we are eating raisin bread for breakfast around here....another option for Grace
She can gouge little dents into each slice of bread and press the raisins in. Brilliant!
Do you think DG took lessons on how to use a toaster?
Maybe Sonia can give her a toaster tutorial.
Burnt Toast?
Faaamillly Style Burnt Toast
You're Toast (Your toast)
Toad's Toast
DisToast
Toasted Bread
Family's T O A S T !
Flinch Toast..........Final Answer
I'll toast to that !!! ...groan.....

MEDICAL ICE CREAM
K: That sh*t last night pissed me off so much I had to eat some ice cream. (At Night !)
S: ..Any excuse for self medicating with ice cream is okay. I don't buy it so it is not in the house, but my fav is coffee with chocolate bits for a great on vacation trips. Edy's is very good.
J: I did not know that eating ice cream at night was a shocking thing. I hope it didn't turn you into a gremlin.

TIME OUT FOR DORITOS (They should have been sponsors) AKA RELIEVING BOREDOM
S: Okay..now who is sitting outside the principal's office? Pass those Doritos.
K: I almost spilled the beans but somebody kicked me under the table.
S: ..as long as you didn't spill the Doritos.
UA: How did this get so off-topic? [Talking about other telenovelas.]
K: Urban I am the guilty one. I saw an opening and went for it.
J: Yeah, well, what happened was, the question came up again, where the hell have our galans gone? And then we began to drift... I blame David.
S: We bad.
K: Yeah, ya can't eat just one.

SUSANLYNN’S BREAKFAST HASH
I liked DisGracie subtle sequined tank top ..for breakfast.
#avoiding unpacking
#notplayinghere
#propssayitall
#gocougars
#ahyesnowiunderstand
#ickyguys
#highmaintenancedramaqueen
#trustmeshewouldfreakout
#chesthair
#longdaysorry
#brianisajerk
#vinodewino
#bodiceripping
#stillwaters
#pressconference
#putaringonit
#whenbadpeoplehappentogoodoeople
#winning
#distractedbypoldark. Pass those Doritos
#dropthemic
#whereisthatdamncellphone
#canyouhearmenow
#vestbonfire
#heyareyoutalkingaboutme


SHOE FETISH, OR FOOTWEAR FASHION AND OVERWORK
BillC: ...oh, great, I'm Ramon. Only without the pretty brunette with apocalyptically bad taste in footwear.
Nina: Marta needs a new wardrobe. And shoes. Burn those chunky klunky shoes.
Susanlynn: I had a thought about Marta's shoes which seem to be a constant topic of discussion. I think the problem is that she wears them with dresses. If she wore nice slacks , you wouldn't notice those clunky shoes as much. I think that Sonia always looks good in her shirt, slacks, and...yes...perpetual vests. We don't even notice her shoes.
Lila: Those clunky shoes give me the willies every time I see them. Not only are they fugly, they look like an invitation to twisted/broken ankles!
From the Yello pages, Niecie: Marta's Comfy Clunkeria; Forget sexy spike heels, my comfy clunkers get the job done!
Tofie: Marta's Sensible Shoes; If He Makes It To Your Shoes You Lose
BillC:  Lilian's carpet-remnant jacket, on top of the usual #clogsfromtheseventhcircleofhell, the wardrobe people for this show must have been on downers half the time.
Susanlynn: Okay, Luci, you can put yourself in Fer's shoes but please do not put yourself in Marta's shoes.
Diana: And on the most confusing scene of the night - Marta appeared to be wearing a gray sweatshirt dress and high black heels. Que??
Dy77: I  am glad they are upping Marta's fashion game.
BillC: [Marta’s] second, or technically I guess fourth, episode without any appearance of the #wheelchockclogs.
Julie: [Marta] is now wearing pumps rather than clogs (which is a radical change for the feet).
Delilah’s recap: Speaking of madness Marta stomps into Lilian's room with her Dansko shoes to announce that Lilian must get Brian to leave her alone.
Susanlynn: I can't wait to check out Marta's shoes tonight.👞👠👡👢👟 and clothes.👕👖👗👘👙👚👒
Kirby: Yeah, pant ...pant...pant....can't wait to see Marta's shoes. :-)
Nina: Why is Marta carrying the pail, the mop, the broom, the vacuum canister, the hose and parts at one time? Who the hell does that? And up stairs? No wonder she's all burnt out.
Julie: Funny how [Marta] stopped wearing sensible shoes just before she was assigned the heavy housework. You'd think she would have gone back to the clogs, but no. Maybe she burned them.
Lila: Lil should make Marta wear a uniform and black Dr. Scholl's.
Julie: Poor Carito, it looks like she's next in line to fill Marta's sensible shoes
ERIKA RIPPED FROM HER LOVER’S ARMS
[Erika] died the most elaborate death you could imagine in Miguel's arms. If you don't speak Spanish you might believe she gave a State of the Union address and Miggs gave the Opposing party's response.

THE SKINNY ON LILIAN
Kirby on Lilian—Sidebar worthy: “She is a sprig of Crabgrass in the lawn of life, with no purpose, no skills, and no contribution to anything.”
Julie--It's not fair to say that Lilian makes no contribution to anything. There's always sales tax [on liquor].
Lila--I DID find it odd that Lil wasn't drinking. That might be a bad sign... she is not herself. And as bad as "herself" is, I can imagine a lot worse.

THE DOCTOR IS BACK
Julie: Cesar's new skill must have been pretty exotic if he had to go abroad to learn it. Did they say where he went? [It was probably Spain.] I would guess that Cesar's specialty is bull-goring wounds or possibly flamenco-dancing-related foot injuries.
Kirby: Gorologist?  "It's 'Running of the Bulls', Dave, they are sure to need me. I'll be back in a week and we can have a wine and look at my pictures."
Susanlynn: Well, they speak Spanish in Spain, aye? So that makes sense! :-*
Julie: The beauty of the flamenco-related injuries specialty is that it's also applicable to grape-smushing injuries.  Cesar doesn't like dancing, remember? Probably traumatized by all the flamenco injuries he's seen.
Susanlynn: I vote for the flamenco injury specialty because I like foot massages.

ON RETIREMENT
Susanlynn is announcing her retirement (she’s copy-catting DisGrace who announced her retirement from the art world to devote her life and limb to her Faaaaaamily). Susanlynn wants a retirement party. She, Julie and Kirby discuss the details.
S—I wanted you all to be the first to know, that I am announcing my retirement so that I can devote all my time to the patio and all my peeps. Like, Disgrace, I am a giver. Hold your applause. Will I be getting a watch and a party? Will there be wine and dancing?
K--You're gettin bottled water and Doritos sister. A watch? Like where they have someone outside your cell? Oh it's you Susanlynn. I thought for a minute it was DisG.
J--I will pick up a cake for your party on my way home from work.
K--Susanlynn you need to wait at least a day for your actual press conference after your announcement, because of the different time zones around the world. Some people, who would die if they missed it, are sleeping....just sayin.
S--Julie...I knew I could count on you to celebrate the sacrifice of my retirement because you, too, are a giver. Let's have the cake by the ocean. Ticktock. Any chance for a watch. Just asking. Too pushy?
J--It doesn't hurt to ask, Susanlynn. I don't have a watch for you, but I've probably got an extra kitchen timer. You won't know what time it is, but you'll know when it's been 20 minutes! DG's retirement thing is so laughable, I'm amazed it's even in the story. I sure hope this idiotic non-twist is going somewhere.
S--Kirby..good point. Timing is everything. I will miss my work, but one makes sacrifices, doesn't one? Who’s in charge of the event? Gut is useless, but maybe he could dance. I will get a supply of crisp dollars at the bank. Can we count on Juan for the centerpieces and pigs in a blanket? Kirby, can you bring the Doritos? Does everyone have a dress vest? Would Lilian be up to filling the gift bags? Who is going to DJ? I always love dancing . and...don't tell Downer Dave. I do not want him to rain all over my big event.
S--Julie...I would accept a timer. You get what you get and you don't get upset. Ohhh, your comment reminded me.. Let's get a game of Twister going . That's always an icebreaker.
J--Uh... I was a DJ in college. And sometimes I still dream that I go into my kitchen, find that it is full of broadcasting equipment, there's a record playing that's about to end, and I can't find any other records to play. So I can DJ the party for you. I hope you like thrash metal.
J--Ooh! I do remember DG looking at a bad review. That makes her "retirement" even more laughable. If her announcement makes the headlines at all, I hope the headline is "Former Painter Belatedly Announces Retirement." Wait, Susanlynn - is this retirement thing just a ruse to get someone to marry you? Does your husband know??
S--Julie..Done and done. Here's a surprise..I don't think that I like thrash metal, Does it involve thrashing around? If so, I have done some of that from time to time. I do enjoy a little heavy metal . How about some Pitbull? Love him. Off now to prove that I am not a robot by identifying hamsters.
K--Sue true you do want to give all your Minions time to actually GET here. Those in Japan and Spain especially.  Yeah that 2-egg model down at Bed Bath and Beyond in stainless is kicks and will last a lifetime.  Twister is Lillian trying to get the third bottle of Mogen David 2020 open.  Yup I even had a buy 3 get 2 free coupon.for Sam's on Doritos. I can bring 4 1/2 bags. :-)  Sue who will speak for you? You can't just clomp up to the microphone and "Zup Peeps, I Quit !" You need someone to announce you and reiterate your contributions to humanity and then call you (blushing) up there to thank everyone, you know the drill.
S--Julie...yes, you got me. The retirement is a ruse. However, there is nobody in this mess of a show that I want to share a meal with let alone marry. Could I supply Dr. Evil with the name of someone I might want to marry? Is bigamy legal if you are retired? I think so, but maybe I should consult with Juan.
J--I think Dr Evil tells you whom to marry, not the other way around. Maybe he knows someone at the Sunny Fields winery for you.
S--Can't wait to see how many episodes are squished together tonight. Okay, back to working on that retirement speech and searching for my black clogs.
K--Yeah you gotta clomp up there on something on your feet resembling those Black Rubber wheel chocks we use so airplanes can't roll away.
S--You are in luck [Kirby], because I think that is exactly what is going to unfold at the big retirement partay ..plus Twister and the dancing. ...and vests. I hope that Lilian has started filling those gift bags.
K--With Lil filling the gift bags I want to get there early and get one of her earlier ones. No telling what will be in the 'Bottle #3" hiccup.... bags. Like buying a Friday car.
J--Sorry I forgot to book a dancer for your retirement party yesterday. Because it's so last-minute, the only available dancer is Adolfo. Is that okay?
S--Julie...Wait...What? No offense to Adolfo..But...No. I was kind of fantasizing about Tano ........mmmmm.....Where was I? Re: retirement party. We may have to put that on hold .

GALANS OF YORE
     Que lastima, indeed! Romance is out of style and I guess principles, courage, mental and emotional competence are too! Wouldn't it be good if the leads had these characteristics, then they add fast-paced, intelligent and dramatic twists, piqued and satisfied our curiosity and rewarded our investment in the characters? And on top of this if they wrapped it up in fewer episodes instead of dragging the story on and on until the actors seem to be looking into the camera with a silent cry of "help!" or a bored stare of "it's a pay check."
     Remember the good old days when galans were large and in charge and at least as smart as the villains? Don Luis in Alborada. Captain Rick in Pasion. Manuel in Amor Real. Oh, all roles played for Fernando Colunga!
     Even in MEPS, Colunga was a good galan. It took him a while to catch up with the villains, but he was always on the trail.
     I don't remember if he was smart in STuD or not. I just remember him taking a lot of showers. And PEAM doesn't count - everyone was stupid in that. That's the last Colunga I've seen.
     The first (slightly) disappointing galan I can remember was Rodrigo in Destilando. He was just a little too gullible. But that's nothing compared to David, who usually fails to act even when he smells a rat, and doesn't seem to know much about running a business.
     I prefer my galans big and strong. Stupid is not attractive.
     I don't need a galan to have super powers, but I REALLY don't want him to be a boob.
     I get frustrated by dumb heroines, too. One thing I will say for Luciana, even if I don't like the way she does things, she's not dumb or gullible.
     Are we supposed to hate the supposed galan? What has happened to the characters in telenovelas? Lately, it is hard to tell the good guys from the bad because they seem to be equally flawed . I need a hero.
     This is the first TN I've watched the protag spent more time with the other guy.
     Can a TN Galan be a Galan without being in an intimate romantic relationship?
     We saw far too much last night of galans behaving badly. Basta!

THE DAVID WE CAME TO KNOW TOO WELL
     David is an idiot tourist wanting that perfect selfie and steps in front of a bus.
     Think positive, Dave. Take off your vest and put on your thinking cap.You can make the best of this dry situation. When life gives you raisins, make raisinettes. Yum.
     I don't see galan in David just because two women want him. I see a lazy, entitled do nothing successfully leveraging two women against each other that competently handle his kids and household and his business.
     I'm sure David and Luciana will wind up together. What I'm not sure about is how the writers will make Viewerville happy about Luciana being tied to a nitwit for life.
     Regarding David, oh my God... ITA with all of you. He must be one of the most idiotic characters that ever existed in telenovelas history! It must have been embarassing for Gabriel Soto to play him.
     When David told Luci that it looked as though she didn't care about his vineyard, I wanted her to quit. NOW I don't care about your vineyard, you selfish ungrateful jerk.
     Why should I root for Dud-veed anymore to get Luciana? This man doesn't show any passion for her since the last time they rolled so beautifully in those sheets. Dude make me believe you are madly in love with her!!! I get he's torn up about his family, but this is a hot sexy virile man..he should be aching..ACHING for her and should barely be able to keep his hands and lips off of her. He should see her and do anything to get near her, smell her, run his fingers through her hair and there should millions of stolen kisses to keep us ROOTING for them..teasing up for that ultimate moment when OUR couple finally prevail. Instead I don't believe anything the writers or even GS are trying to sell me.  As for Luciana, presumably this hot older man was her first. Again, I don't see the aching passion from her.
     AGAIN – did the writers deliberately want to make David so unlikable? And if so, why? Because it's not forking helping anybody except Graciela look good. I'm too annoyed at the Vestmaster General to bitch about Marta at this point.
     David's memory of that is now severely deficient. He not only drank the Kool Aid, he's drowning in it.
     David is getting the wife he deserves, the family he deserves, and the business he deserves. The sad thing is that he has no idea why. This is so depressing.
     The inLaws have very handily boxed DudVid in. He really is between a Rock and a Rock. This is where someone would call out ‘Checkmate.’
     My disillusionment (read that as... Hate) for Dave grows, and I do not care what happens to him or the horse he rode in on. This guy deserves whiny kids, an awful, prejudiced, entitled , bossy mother in-law, and a stone cold killer wife. Adios . You folks are thinking so much more than any of the characters are.. Or any of the writers ever did. In the words of our dear Carlos (hi, amigo, wherever you are)..Next!!
     I don't think David is thinking - period.
     David has allowed his life to be upended by his spoiled brat of a daughter and her succubus Tia and mom-in-law from hell. And he can't seem to get a handle on anything that’s vomicly screwed up in his house. I've never seen a tn where the galan is as brain dead as This guy. And I really like the actor--he plays brain dead really well.
     Except for beating up Juan, Dave seemed to be on autopilot…most like always.

TELLING THEM HOW WE REALLY FEEL
     For me it seemed like a show of outtakes leading nowhere.
     The Boda--and there has to be one. We haven't hung on to this story for nothing.
     Everybody's said it all -- pretty bad when an aggressive spoon hand off is the highlight of the show!
     Corny works. It works for this whole novela. It could have been so much better. I think J.A.Castro lost his touch on this one. All his departments were going solo and no one, including casting, got any of the memos.
     There is a real lack of cohesiveness that can only be explained with everyone being on a different page. Perhaps Irina has no idea how she's supposed to be playing this. It wouldn't be the first time a director neglected one actor in favor of another (coughcough Sofia).
     Until these things get into high gear this starving dog will survive on bones like the passing of the Olympic Ladle and the Comedy Club Camaraderie on the patio.
     As for the slo-mo trainwreck that is VEA's temporal mechanics regarding this mess: I'm going to need to make a list.
     This show is the "One legged Duck Swimming" of TNs. Just going in circles.
     This is pretty darn good, patio. I don't know which type TN I like the most—the ones I like or the ones I hate???
     [on slicing, dicing and snipping]: Thanks Uni! You really crapped all over this one.
     I am starting to get an antimarriage vibe. This telenovela has had only one happy marriage..Dave and Lisa. Two runaway wives..... Adolfo and Ramon. A sour, bitter widow whose hubby cheated on her. A widow who was separated from her husband for years when he was deported and who had an affair. Another recent widow of an abuser who does not want to get married. Lots of single people...Tano,Cubby, Sonia, Cesar, Perla, Juan, Fern. A young single woman who wants a family but doesn't seem to expect\want marriage. So who are the writers? In addition to having all failed their SATs, are they all single or divorced? I am starting to wonder if we will have any weddings in this finale. I am getting a very strong feeling that the message here is not about love, romance, or marriage. So..what is the message? Got wine?
     I'm blaming most of this show's problems on a weak story/script and weak direction. There are obvious issues with the story, and in addition, the actors don't seem to know what they're supposed to be doing.
     I don't think I've ever seen a show that took me so out of the world the actors are supposed to be creating to wonder about the actors themselves. If the two leads chemistry clashes, that totally kills the story and must be a reason behind a lot of these awkward stares. Weak story/script, indeed.
     I think that you are on to something. Maybe the reason that we watch these shows is because they do make us feel healthy, normal, and in control as compared to the characters.
     Okay, I have an idea. We'll let Juan and Grace escape in the finale. Then we'll do a sequel. We'll call it Grape Wars II: The Wrath of Juan. It will be written by us and we will make sure that the only nonsense in it is the nonsense that we can agree on.
     A TN written by us with NoJuan and DisGrace as leads, and NOT called Goat Rodeo?
     Heh, I like Goat Rodeo too, but it's misleading. Not enough goats.
     I swear, I'm about ready to put me out of my misery and just watch the end of this BULL SH*T!!
     Story goes south. . .we go south! ;D
     The writers haven't given us anything to make us believe in in most of these characters. They're getting no more than a D+ for this series.
     These writers have managed to make me feel unsympathetic for Fer and Dumb-ass for being victims of the murderer of their mother and wife.
     The editors are the true villains of the piece. Or at least fighting with the writers for the title. I mean, damn--Brian and Lilian's quasi-relationship got more airtime than David and Luciana's (I know, I know, what relationship? [rimshot]) for the majority of the show, and they snip the theoretical true end of it? Anvils aside...fork that, Univision, just fork the hell out of that.
     It looks like we are in for another typical TN "Shotgun Ending". I HATE it the way they do that. I have tried to get into the Spanish mind set to appreciate it, but it just does not work for me.
     CountXAlacran (who isn’t watching this show) steps in: Holy wines, this show is still going on! I kind of hoped the vineyard would go bankrupt already. And someone should put poison in those wine bottles so that all the characters drink it and die of painful indigestion. Then everyone says "Cheese!" with a smile on their face.
     I guess we're all proving true that the worse the novela, the funner the patio!
     Never seen a TN before when I was looking forward to the "galan" get an anvil.
     As others have pointed out, the writing and directing has really hurt the story and the actors (and us) are the unintended casualties.
     Yet somehow the writers managed to create a whole vineyard full of people who are way worse than I could ever hope to be.
     We need Carla Estrada.
     I guess that Carla has retired from telenovelas. She was great. I also miss her director Monica. I also miss Christina who used to interview all the actors and actresses after the finales.
     We know it is possible to be entertaining, intriguing and funny in a novela but heck, every now and then I guess you have to have one that you can't look away from, like a bad car wreck where even some mangled bodies are visible, and it's on fire and. . . .Anyway, this was the car wreck novela for me this year.
     Well they didn't do it the way we would have wanted, so we got what they thought was a good idea…So here we are ladies and gentlemen at the end of a very upended tedious love story in the wine country where these 2 mixed messed up people will eventually be together, [whether] we like it or not. I hate it when a good story goes bad.


VINO DICTIONARY AND VOCABULARY BUILDER
     Creative constipation – label used for telenovelas that can’t “go.” (Lila’s comment referring to where Vino is trying to “go.”)
     Second tier lowmance – relationship that does not measure up to a romance, but takes up entirely too much time on screen (Tofie)
     Psychopass - noun. It sounds like when DisGracie is greeting David topless, or pawing at him, she's making a psychopass. (Kirby/Julie)
     Illicit Skittles transfers – another description for an attack beso (Julie-Lila)

Labels:


Comments:
OMG! Anita! Honey, thank you! I can't believe this! I'm not done yet, I just had to stop and thank you! This is MARVELOUS and FUN and MIND-BOGGINGLY detailed! Thank you for all the effort to go through all these recaps and our riotous Patio Patois! This was such a fun Patio! I miss you guys since I'm not watching Doble. I hope the whole gang comes back to comment! More later!

Thanks, Anita!

 

Anita, there were indeed gold nuggets in the muck and mire of Vino, which you carefully searched for, panned and discovered.

The best of the best. I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading all the sly, clever and very hysterical comments. The recappers and commenters kept this TN on life support from the beginning through the unsatisfying end.

Together we mourned the utter absence of love and chemistry between the leads. We seized on Sonia and her cub as few of the characters worthy of our admiration. We tried to rationalize the absurd writing, and while we were never able to explain, used our own brand of humor to get us through.

Each TN has different followers but I enjoyed every moment reading, pondering and laughing at all the absurdities with all of you.

Thank you dear Anita for giving us such joy. We are so blessed to have you on this line.

Diana
 

"APPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE"!!!

Wow, Anita, thank you so much for this! Ditto on Lila's comment--It IS unbelievably "MARVELOUS and FUN and MIND-BOGGINGLY" You captivated some of the most enjoyable and entertaining moments on this patio. Love the way you organized/outlined everything. The time and effort you took in bringing this to us is truly appreciated.

Lila: we (your faaaammmmilly) sooooo miss you on the Doble patio...please stop by...at least once in a while.

RC
 

One of the things that always bothered me with Luciana especially is her wardrobe and hair. Goodness, she was ever inappropriately dressed to work the earth and vines she ever so proudly talked about. Didn't that long, curly hair she was ever struggling with not get caught up in the vine branches, the fences, catch the dust on the ground? The wind was always playing games with her long hair as never a moment passed before she ran her fingers through as as a means of controlling her long mane. At such times, I just wished I'd tie her down & tell her to tie it well or use a hairpin or something, or just cut it to appropriate length.

The thing I realised with Televisa telenovelas is that they are especially concerned with the physical aspects of the characters: women with the long, curly, almost perfect hair, the hunky men with tight shirts unbuttoned midway (oh I think about Miguel and dumb David) so as to emphasize on the physical beauty. These vineyard workers always seemed more ready to do a fashion spread rather than pass off as workers who always went on an on to annoyance how the lands (especially David's lands) meant their whole lives, they loved working the lands, the earth, the vines that hada life of their own and bla, bla, bla.

I adored Sonia from day one, for me she is the best of all. I love her pronunciation of Lillian's names and calling David "Mi senor" hahaha.

Mr. Castro really needs to evaluate his previous novelas and improve to have less gloss and more coherent stories and characters.
 

Each TN has different followers but I enjoyed every moment reading, pondering and laughing at all the absurdities with all of you.

I did too, Diana! The Patio was WAY more fun than the show!

RC! Awwww, thanks! It's weird not naving a show to watch and not checking the board every hour....at least! *Sigh!*

Anon You are right about Televisa's main focus. Luciana was out more in the fields than Erica, but Erica wore the pony tail! It just seemed too important to have her with wavy locks which tickled the tip of her crack, thus pointing to and emphasizing how firm and fully packed she was in those spray-on jeans. It was more important to have her prettily toss her head to fling her hair out of her face than to cut or tame it: what good would flounching and stomping be without curls to bounce and sway?

Jeez. I could go on. . .thanks again, Anita and thanks to all the VEA PATIO PEEPS for a fun frolic!
 

BTW--I picked that particular image because there was NOTHING connecting those two protagonists. In fact, "Luciana" looks a bit more like "Daniela" waiting to rumble. "David" looks, well, as he did throughout most of the story--distant and distracted; empty eyes.

Anon: We've always commented on fashions and hairdos, mostly negatively. Once in awhile, there is a function and the ladies actually get professional hairstyling and lovely gowns, but for everyday wear, wardrobe must have Rules, as you point out, that emphasize what apparently is supposed to attract both male and female viewers.

We're tired of pointing out how inappropriately dressed are wives who are home all day or go out for errands wear high-heeled shoes or 2" cork sandals. Luciana, I agree, took the cake for this one. The main protagonist didn't need crack-length hair to be beautiful (see Sylvia Navarro in Cuando me Enamoro or Amor Bravio), and I don't care that she was very young and that's their style.

Marta's plain long locks working around the house and in the kitchen cooking also got me from the git go. I wonder how many hairs the workers pulled out of their soup or their beans and rice in the evening (can't do much to sammiches, ya?).

RC, I meant to thank you for your list of Pass/Fail couplings. I thought about using them in the postmortem, but by the time I was done plumbing about 100 episodes, it was getting too long. I'm sorry I couldn't do them all. We had some wonderful digressions.

Thank you, Lila, Diana and RC and Anon. It is the Patio that makes postmortems easy. Never in a million years could I think up enough comments for the "fun frolic" that so often accompanies "these types" of tns.
 

Wonderfully funny Anita. Thanks for picking out with such love and detail The Best of the Patio. Did not watch this utter tripe and only lurked on the Patio for about a week, so especially delighted to have this wonderful resumé of the wit and wisdom of Outraged and Disgruntled viewers. The worst clearly brought out the best.
 

Wow, Anita, what a compilation! A lot of these are sidebar-worthy.

I hope someone at Televisa reads this. They need to do better story architecture and make sure they have a cast who can work well together. It's a shame that there seemed to be no chemistry between IB and GS because they are both competent actors.

Or maybe Irina Baeva had more fun playing bad girls. I can relate to that.

I don't remember commenting on Marta's hair very much, but I think the long straight hair she had in the main part of the story was meant to show that she was younger than Lillian. There are better ways to do that, though, and remain true to who these characters are. And it's not like Irina Baeva couldn't look good with her hair in a more practical style for working in a vineyard.
 

Wahaha--well done, Anita. Much like with the almost-as-universally-bashed (yeah, I said it) El Talisman, in the end, it was the recap crew--muchisimas gracias, ladies--and a handful of supporting characters it didn't ruin, but mainly the Patio that saved this blazing hot mess of a show...inasmuch as it could be saved.

We supported each other through the long, long drought of romance between the nominal leads of the show; through Mar Contreras and Cynthia Klitbo's literally weeks-long crying jags as Susan and Marta got dragged through the emotional wringer and left there; and through Veronica Jaspeado and Jose Derbez becoming the two characters who actually got character growth and became the face of romance, however geeky and quirky. (Yup, even over Luciano Zaccharski and Sofia Castro.)

We all bent the knee to Kimberly Dos Ramos, who in her way was a far better villain (if way over on the Lifetime TV-movie side) than this show ever deserved.

We all kicked many, many, many holes in the show's internal logic and temporal mechanics (The Affair being a flashpoint for the vast majority of it).

And we all groaned at the general lack of...everything, from actual gringos as extras to actual extras to practical footwear (I still hope Cynthia Klitbo somehow got to set the #mousedroidclogs on fire at the wrap party) to cars. Yes, we managed to make this mess entertaining in spite of itself. Round of applause for us, people!
 

You don't know what you'll miss till it's gone so thank you Anita for the yearbook worthy entries.

I feel a tiny bit melancholic, you cannot plan or force magic, it just happens and with this patio it did.

Guess I should also thank Televisa for giving us enough to ridicule but not quite enough to hate.

Thanks everyone, I was highly entertained!
 

Thanks, Anita. Vino was the most forgettable TN I've watched, but the names commenters coined for characters were priceless.
 

Anita, what a fun roundup of the goat rodeo. #kirbyism

I loved the title. Thanks , Julie, for finding the perfect one.

Okay, okay, let me explain about those stream-of-consciousness "conversations" that Julie, Kirby, and I got into. They were after hours when the patio was deserted and all the peeps had gone home. We three were left in the hallway right outside the assistant principal's office running with scissors and playing tag. In other words, I'm telling..it was Kirby's fault. He has been a consistently bad influence on Julie and me , who are actually good kids at heart but easily influenced. That is my story , and I am sticking to it. I am pretty sure that the three of us would never be allowed to sit together in detention hall, study hall, class, assembly, or any club meetings or sporting events.

I will miss everyone. ...except Dave. It was a fun ride. Some of us are watching Doble Vida, and it is pretty good...so many locations (a school, a hovel, a courtroom, a mansion, a recording studio\offices, and a tour bus....and so many sofas. ..and cars...not to mention handsome guys in cowboy hats and beautiful women in next to nothing.
 

Thank you, thank you Anita. This was a wonderful roundup of the craziness that was Vino El Amor. I can tell that it was a lot of work, too, and I really appreciate it!

Regarding clothes - I noticed, especially near the end, that Luci's blouses were a little too small, so that there were stress-wrinkles around the buttons and little gaps in between. What was the point of that? It wasn't sexy, and it's not practical to work in, and it just looks as though she's too poor to buy clothes that fit. (I realize that this is a problem when you're busty, but the solution is to get a bigger size or wear a different type of blouse/shirt.) Marta also had that problem with some of her dresses. Again, that's not practical for doing manual labor.

I agree with Susanlynn about the principal's office discussions. It was all totally Kirby's fault. I am usually very well behaved, but I was corrupted by Kirby's pretty pictures and the promise of Doritos.
 

Julie..two against one. I like it. I think that I saw Kirby trip you once while we were playing tag. #alwayspasstheblame



 

If there's anyone out there who knows, please tell us how online discussions about this series went in Mexico. Were more electrons than usual being seriously inconvenienced because of the serious flaws in this series? If so that may have a worsening effect on future novelas.
 

I would be very curious to know that as well.
 

Girl you out done yourself. I wish the
Directors, writers, producers,wardrobe
People could read this. Do they even know about caray caray?Somebody should
Give them a heads up about it, they'd
Learn a few things about how not to
Screwup a novella.
I get so excited when I see something
I wrote in print.The way that you Incorporated everybody's comments into this is just absolutely amazing.We are
A very talkative group of people. I'm
Proud of us. this was good Anita.You
Should Think about writing a tn and sending it in. You'd do it justice girl.

Passion is the first tn I ever saw, and I was immediately attraked to the leading Man. His curly locks, those Stronge facial features.And then I saw
Him in one with Silvia Navarris Ithink
That's her name,she's in "La Candidate
I didn't get to see how that one ended
She was in with mr calunga, I'm not sure about the spelling. Anyways his
Ears surprised me. But He's still good looking.
Good work Anita, thank you.
 

Long ago, at the end of LFMB, a delegation of Carayites attended a taping of the Cristina show. They contacted Univision ahead of time to explain who they were and ask if they needed to (or even could) get tickets, passes, whatever. So Univision, at least, is aware of Caray. Whether or not they care is another question, and whether or not anyone at Televisa knows/cares is yet another.

I do know that some years ago when I was recapping Mad Men, someone from Lionsgate contacted me to ask if they could put a link to my (very low volume) recap blog on some webpage of theirs. So there are definitely some studios that like to know where the fans are and what they talk about. However, if they're smart, they also realize that the people who talk on websites are just a small percentage of the fans, and take whatever they read with a grain of salt.

Nina, the one with the guy from Pasion and the woman from La Candidata was MEPS (Manana Es Para Siempre). Evil Barbara went to prison and set herself on fire, but didn't die. The two leads got married. I don't remember what happened to Sergio Sendel, but I'm sure it was bad. The not-really-crazy sister got out of the psychiatric hospital and began a slow recovery. The wheelchair guy from Tres Veces Ana and the girl from La Doble Vida de Estela got married, I guess. And they all lived happily ever after.
 

Julie..we have yet another favorite TV show in common. I loved "Mad Men." Speaking of favorite shows, I watched a "Renegade" rerun today. That Reno Raines could really kiss. You have to watch season 3 of Outlander in September. We seem to like the same shows. I am still in awe that you actually attended a Highlander convention. Now, I discover that you recalled Mad Men. My hero.
 

Yeah, that Lorenzo Lamas was fiiiiine. Where are you seeing Renegade?
I don't think I get whatever channel/service Outlander is on, but I bet I'd like it.

Mad Men: Funny thing, I have the final season on DVD but have never watched it. I don't enjoy closure on something I've enjoyed. If I don't watch the end, then it never ended. Right?
 

I thought the postmortem was going to be something else - a cathartic rundown of all the things that were wrong with VEA. I like what Anita put together much better, actually, but I do have a few more complaints about VEA:

* One of the things I loved about Destilando Amor (it seems cruel to compare them) was that they taught us a little about agaves, tequila, how it is made, and about the business. That may have been a little too much like a social studies filmstrip for some people, but I considered it an entertaining bonus. I also bought and drank a lot of tequila as a result. (Just a few sips and only on Sundays, honest.) In contrast, VEA taught us absolutely nothing about wine that I can think of except that you can ruin it with succinic ("amber") acid. They wouldn't even tell us what varieties of grapes Duh and Adolfo were growing on their vineyards. Was the word "brix" ever uttered? I learned that one in DA.

* I don't love product placements, but it wouldn't hurt for a show about wine to partner up with some wine-promoting organization to promote wine in general, wine tourism, something like that. Maybe it was a problem that a Mexican show shouldn't work with a California outfit, or it would be weird for them to promote a Mexican organization in a show that takes place in CA, I don't know. But other product placements could have been done: Lipstick that doesn't smear no matter what you do; Skittles; Smush-O-Matic and Press-O-Tronic (olive pressing machine); The Vestibule; Sofa City; Uber; Murder Rocks 'n' More.

* It probably cost them a fortune to shoot in Sonoma. Maybe that's why the sets were so disappointing. But using the same sofa (or an unacceptably similar one) in two different houses, that really took the biscuit. If you MUST use the same (or very similar) sofa in different sets on the same show, at least put a slipcover on it or something when it's on one set or the other so it isn't as obvious.

* I didn't really think about it till Urban mentioned it, but they did only ever show one phase of the moon. I don't care how tight your budget is; surely you can get a picture of the moon in another phase. I mean, there has to be stock footage! Or at least don't use the full moon, because that makes everyone look like a lunatic. Either that or Sonoma must be overrun with werewolves, which would have been a welcome plot twist.

* The galan was so lame that I didn't think twice about killing him off in my alternate ending, and no one has complained about it yet. Seriously... what the hell. Were the writers even AWARE of how much more deference and respect he showed to Grace as opposed to Luciana? A lot of us took that as a clue that he would NOT end up with Luci, because it's kind of a deal-breaker. Sorry writers, I give you a F- for that. Make that a G. Maybe even an H.

* The writers seemed really confused as to the qualities that we would find appealing in a character. (At least they were consistent. In that last episode, when Luci went to see grieving David in his office, she opened the door without knocking.) Examples:

- We were supposed to like Marta, but most of us found her only marginally better than Lilian, and some liked her even less.

- Miguel was supposed to be appealing, but he was so pushy and possessive and entitled with Luciana that most of us found him off-putting and a few expected him to become abusive. A guy who doesn't take "no" for an answer is pitiful at best, and scary/homicidal at worst.

- Brian was supposed to be in love with Marta, but he continued dating her archenemy in between his proclamations of love for Marta. Why did the writers think this would make any sense to us at all?

* Apparently, the writers had no trouble creating and well-defined villains.

OK, I'm done. For now.
 

OT..Julie. Renegade is on a channel called Heroes and Icons that shows old tv series. It also has Hercules and Zena reruns . I am enjoying Reno more than I did when it was originally running. I think that it also has Wiseguy. Outlander is on Starz, but Target sells season one and two . Best hero ever. ...wonderful saga of true live...beautiful Scotland... And kilts. It is even better than Highlander..and I loved that show and actor. #winwinwinwin
 

Hi, Everyone!

Urban, I found a few on-line discussions and reviews in Mexico; and they pretty much mirrored those on this patio. The review I found that had the most information was titled "Vino El Amor, Un Vino Con Sabor Casi Amargo" (Vino El Amor, A Wine With a Taste That Is Almost Bitter." They used terms such as ridiculous, pathetic, maddening, ridiculous, forgettable. They also pointed out inconsistencies, oversights and they were quite happy that it ended! Here are a couple of links, but they are in Spanish (the Google translation doesn't do it justice).

http://lahoradelanovela.com/2017/02/20/vino-el-amor-critica-final-telenovela-2/

http://lahoradelanovela.com/2017/02/19/vino-el-amor-critica-final-telenovela/

Hope everyone is doing well!

RC
 

Wow, thanks RC!
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder