Monday, December 06, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #115-116 12/6/10 A case of mistaken amante identities.

Capitulo 115.
Read Amanda’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Luigi counsels Fernando to make Pilar believe they’ll do the commercial without her. Her ego will take over from there. The client says they need to use underwear that’s not red, based on what Gerardo said.

2. Pop returns with the salsa, but his buddies tempt him away to the bar before he takes it to Julieta. When he mentions the salsa, his buddies think he’s going to dance salsa, but Erasmo says he only sings.

3. At the pond, Fernando tells Lety maybe he’s not the right one to lead Conceptos. She encourages him, and he says, “Lety, what am I going to do with you?” But he finishes the sentence silently, “.. when I have to marry Marcia.”

4. They see Erasmo in the bar, and Fernando thinks it’s a good thing that Erasmo is making friends with his uncles (hmm.. as in, “I’d like you to meet my family”?). MamaJ recovers the salsa, and she does not scold him in front of his friends. Obviously she did not attend Marcia’s school of relationship management.

5. They shoot a commercial with the mannequins, and when Pilar thinks they’re not going to use her, she begs to be in the commercial and promises to do whatever they want.

6. Gerardo says Lety makes a great team with Don Fernando. He gives her a hug to congratulate her, and Erasmo sees it and imagines the worst.


Capitulo 116.
Read Amanda’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Erasmo is angry that Gerardo hugged Lety, and she suggests that Pop stop drinking.

2. See the transcript. On the bridge, Erasmo asks Fernando to help protect his daughter from immoral men who want to take advantage of her. He also mentions that Tomás is on the property.

3. Lety asks Mama to get Pop to ease up about Gerardo, but Mama reminds her how stubborn he is when he’s drunk. Fernando doesn’t want lunch; he has a nervous stomach from all the stress of the day.

4. Fernando is seething with jealousy.
He asks Lety, “Why’d you have to bring him?” Lety thinks he means Gerardo.
L: You’re the one who scheduled him.
F: Me? I’m not interested in him, but it sure seems like you are. I don’t even know him! Why should I schedule Tomás?
L: Tomás? I thought you meant Gerardo!
With that out of the way, Fernando goes back to worrying Pilar and the bronco.

5. The stable boy says Pilar can practice on the mechanical bull. She likes it until Alicia turns the dials to max and Pilar falls off, so she again refuses to ride. Fernando catches Ali and throws her out. Lety spots Tomás and tells him to leave too.

6. Fernando admits to Pilar that he really is Pavel, he charms her, and he asks her to ride the horse for him. Pop hears it all, and he tells MamaJ, “We’re leaving NOW!” He tells Lety, “You can’t work for him anymore. I just discovered your boss has an amante.”


Spanish Lesson

On the bridge.
E: I’m worried about Lety. I believe she’s heading in the wrong direction / doing things she shouldn’t
(Fernando is afraid that Pop suspects that Fernando is defiling his daughter.)
F: Where would you get that idea? Lety couldn’t do such a thing. She’s too sensible, she’s your daughter, and she’s like you .
E: Yes, she’s just like me. But there are immoral men (as he’s poking Fern) who can take her away from me.
F: You really think so??
E: I saw her in a very suspicious situation with some jerk who is the cameraman.
F: Lety with Gerardo??
E: Do you remember Tomás Mora?
F: Ay, sí. How could I forget? She’s known him since childhood.
E: He could’ve helped me cuidar (take care of, protect) the child (Lety), but he’s wandering around the club.
F: Tomás Mora is here? Se chocame a cien verdad? (100 are crashing into me?)
E: Look. You’re her boss. I know you value/appreciate her very much, and she feels the same about you. Help me cuidar her because the girl is very innocent. You don’t need to know this, and I don’t have reason to tell you, but listen.

E: Years ago, that Miguel. I didn’t want to let him step foot in the house! One day, Miguel stopped coming to the house. Lety was devastated. I felt so impotent. I didn’t know how to help her.
F: I understand completely. I’ve felt the same impotency. (He remembers when Lety told him about Miguel.) You’re right, one should cuidar mucho a Lety.
E: It’s just that I/you (?) care about her so much.
F: How could one not adore someone as enchanting as Lety? Don Era, you’re my brother.
E: Can I count on you to cuidarla?
F: Of course. You just tell me where Tomas is, and I’ll kick him out immediately!
E: No, it’s not about cuidarla from Tomás. It’s about that cameraman.
F: Oh. Come here, Don Era. Can I call you Don Era?
E: Sure, Don Fera!

Labels:


Comments:
Another crazy day amiga. No time to get back home in time to turn on the TV. So I recorded a lot of blackness. Look forward to hearing the discussion by the others. Thanks for all you do.
 

I liked the scene at the pond, but the acting seemed awkward and stilted, as if it was the first read-through of the script.

In telenovelas, often the main couple has some sort of symbolic wedding, after they are clearly in love and before they get pulled apart by external forces. We didn’t see a “wedding” today, but I really thought that Fernando and Erasmo on the bridge were like giving the bride away. Pop is basically asking Fernando to take over the care of Lety when Pop can’t be there. Watch for other scenes in the next few days that could symbolize parts of the engagement and marriage process. I’ve spotted a few, but you might see things I don’t.

Speaking of Erasmo, remember back when he took Fern and Lety to process the embargo, and his car broke down? Fern said, “Your father seems a lot like me, huh?” Now that Fern and Pop spend some time together, what similarities do you see? I’ll start: they’re both stubborn and hot tempered.
 

Could someone please tell me if this Pilar commercial thing will be over with tomorrow? And give me hope that something good is on its way this week. Diann
 

Thanks Paula and Amanda. There were some cute Lety/Fern scenes today. I love when she almost knocks him over when he is standing by the pond. Also where is so jealous of Tomas.

Fernandos Tios were pretty funny as well. Especially the scene where the one was pretending to play a trumpet or trombone? while drinking in the club bar.

With these two hour episodes things really are moving right along.
 

Take heart, Diann. The commercial shoot finishes during tomorrow's caps, and we get as far as the following morning. We have some very sweet scenes tomorrow. And yes, something good is on its way this week and next week.

At the pond scene, I wonder if Fernando was considering canceling the wedding.
> 1. He says (part to himself), “What am I going to do with you when I have to marry Marcia?”
> 2. He speaks of the mistakes and mess he’s made, which could refer to their relationship as much as to company business.
> 3. He wonders if maybe he shouldn’t be president, which would be the result if he canceled the wedding.
That's certainly not ironclad proof, but just something to think about. It’s hard to read Fernando's emotions in the scene – they both seem very awkward, as if the scene was poorly directed, or they didn't have time to preview the script.
 

I continue to appreciate all the work you put into the analysis and comments. I don't always see the entire two hours, but enjoy reading the recaps anyway.
La Paloma
 

I think there is one way in which Fernando and Erasmus are NOT alike, Erasmus has no problem making up his mind and Fernando is insecure in his decisions. That's not to say that Erasmus is always right, in fact his decisions are often very emotional and hot-headed. However he's got a confidence that Fernando does not have. Is it because he's older and more experienced, because his family supports him no matter what? I don't know, I'm just wondering aloud.

Thank you Paula and Team Fea. Honestly, without the recaps it would be difficult to watch two-hour episodes a day. They talk so fast!
 

Thank you Paula.. I really appreciate the comments that are posted here. And I'm glad I have a place where I can ask questions and really have them answered. Look forward to more comments!!
Diann
 

Thank you, La Paloma. Sometimes I worry that I get too far "out there" with my analysis, so I appreciate your comment.

Sylvia, thank you for the reminder that the 2-hour caps are hard for everyone. So I appreciate you ladies who are hanging in there and commenting regularly.

Sylvia, you make a good point about Erasmo - he's very emotional, as is Fernando. IMHO, the difference in the decisiveness is that Erasmo has set his priorities, and he makes all his decisions based on those established priorities, so he is very sure of his decisions.

Contrast that to Fernando. All his decisions are in reaction to the immediate crisis, without thought to tomorrow's consequences. Today's bad decision brings a new crisis tomorrow, and he veers off with a different bad decision in response to that crisis. Just like Erasmo, he has values. Unlike Erasmo, they're not priorites, and he doesn't let his values determine his choices.

Fernando is now a man in love. If he makes that love his priority, he'll make decisions and he will stick them. But if he lets crises take priority over love, then telenovela justice will have to teach him a lesson.
 

"But if he lets crises take priority over love, then telenovela justice will have to teach him a lesson."

Oh and I'm sure it will! In spades.

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis on Erasmo and Fernando. It makes sense and helps clarify things. It seems like maybe Erasmo's values are set and he is comfortable with them, they have worked for him. I'm not sure all of Fernando's values are well-defined right now. They are in flux thanks to Lety showing up and introducing him to love and what it's like to have fun in a relationship.
 

Yes, Sylvia. In spades. And CLUBS!

His values are not well-defined, you're right. He has his values, but he doesn't have the strength to stick to them. Remember when Omar said Fern had to sleep with Lety? Fern flatly refused because that would be a canallada. He refused because of his values. But when Omar convinced him of dire consequences if he didn't, he sacrificed his values.

And that's something I LOVE about Fea. Gaitán develops a character, and you understand EXACTLY WHY the character makes the decisions he does, e.g. Fernando sacrifices his values for the sake of expediencey. When a character changes, you see WHY, what pushed him to change. And then, you see the character behave in new ways which demonstrate his change in character.
 

FANTASTIC DISCUSSION TODAY. THANKS EVERYBODY.
 

Paula,
Excellent points about Gaitan and his character development. I suspect he comes from a novel writing background since character development is a key ingredient in writing successfully. Yes Fern forgets his values for expediency and to keep the peace and it will of course cost him. Lety ignores her values because she is in love and her change isn't always pretty or for that matter as well developed as Fern's. The first time around I cut her a lot more slack then I am this time because I came in later on and did not see how much a participant she actually is/was.
 

I enjoyed re-watching Sara's strange romance with Rodolfo unfold. She managed to have an entire "relationship" with the guy with no participation from him at all - hah, I think I've actually seen people do something like that in real life.

Who would have guessed that his fear of horses would be a deal-breaker? I'm pretty sure Sara doesn't have any horses.
 

First we had Matilde's aggressive, almost violent pursuit of Erasmo and Tomás no matter how much they rejected her.

Then we had Pilar's aggressive, determined pursuit of Fernando despite his clear, strong refusal.

Then Sara's persistant, humiliating pursuit of Rodolfo despite his determined refusal. I think Sara's behavior was almost as disgusting as Matilde's.
 

I agree Sara's behavior would have been disgusting in real life, but as a parody of what people actually do in real life without realizing it, I thought it was hilarious.

Also hilarious - PaulaH: "MamaJ recovers the salsa, and she does not scold him in front of his friends. Obviously she did not attend Marcia’s school of relationship management."
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder