Tuesday, December 07, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #117-118 12/7/10 People think clearly, but not for long.

Capitulo 117.
Read Julie’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

Pardon me for writing such long summaries today. Consider it rebound from so many days of nothing to write about.


1. Pop tells Lety they’re leaving because he doesn’t want her around immorality, and she refuses! Lety tries to figure it out. Could Pop have found out she and Fern are lovers? No. But what DID he hear? She confronts Fern and asks him what’s going on, but he brushes her off because they’re about to shoot.

2. Pilar announces that Fern has admitted that he’s Pavel, as she wraps herself around him. Lety STRONGLY objects but Fernando silently begs her to cooperate. Lety explains to Pop that they agreed to the Pavel story to get Pilar to ride the horse. Pop points out that Lety is becoming a liar, and he demands that she resign tomorrow when the shoot is finished.

3. Fernando tells Omar Lety almost died when Pilar said she and Pavel/Fern were together, and Fern feels awful about it (so why’s he talking to Omar, not Lety?). Omar supposes that Fern is again bothered by guilt for what he’s doing to Lety, and because he has to make Lety believe he loves her so she doesn’t take his company. Fern is disgusted by Omar, and he has just one brief moment of clarity when he says, “The commercial is the least of it. What’s most important is Lety.” (If only he could keep hold of that idea.)

4. Lety is having a rather lucid moment herself. “Why, Don Fernando? Why do you resort to lies to fix your problems? Then I get pulled into it, and in the end I rescue you. I love you so much. I’m scared that you could lie to me too.” That really worries her, so she has a fantasy to feel safe again. She asks him, “Could you lie to me?” He denies it, but she points out that he lies to Pilar, Marcia, his family, and the whole world. Why should she be any different? He tells her that he doesn’t hide anything from her, no secrets, no lies, no deceptions, because he loves her. She says, “I’ll always trust you.”

5. Back in reality, Fernando asks Lety to forgive him for not telling her his plan with Pilar, and she says it would’ve been easier had he told her. She says Pop told her to resign. Fern answers, “No, you can’t. What would I do without you?”


6. Pilar wants “Pavel” to kiss her for courage, but Saimon diverts her. MamaJ tries to keep Pop busy but he interrupts the shoot instead. They get rid of Pop, shoot the commercial, and head to lunch. Fernando tells Lety, “I love you,” for the first time since the hotel, but he says it amid silly tickling.

7. At lunch, Pilar suggests to Fernando that he formalize their relationship in front of everyone. Sara rescues him by acting like they’re lovers, so Pilar dumps Pavel.


Capitulo 118.
Read Amanda’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Pop tells Lety there is never an excuse for lying. Lety says that sometimes people lie for good reasons. She admits that she lied when she said she was hired as the assistant to the president.

2. Fernando asks MamaJ for help so Lety can stay at Conceptos. Erasmo thinks it’s a bad place, but to him it’s solidarity, support, protection, and friendship, and the cuartel agrees. He says Lety is a crucial part of the team. Pop relents and lets Lety stay. Gerardo takes a group photo, then at Saimon’s prompting he takes two photos of Fern and Lety.

3. As they pack up to leave, Fernando asks Lety if she can come to his house tonight because last night didn’t work out. She says no because she’s guilty por Marcia and she doesn’t want to provoke her dad. Fern tries to cover his deep disappointment. After she leaves he ponders, “Lety, mi Lety. Your tenderness, your love, and the way you give yourself (to me) move me/affect me. I’ve never felt what I’m feeling for you. Never.”

4. Alicia leaves work and insults the cuartel even when they’re not there. Teresita calls for Lety. Ali is nosy about her business but MamaT asks her to just pass the message. Ali decides NOT to pass the message.

5. Lety and MamaJ rehash. Lety is proud that she stood up to RoboPop for the first time, and she won. Mama is proud that she did something valuable outside her four walls.

6. Fernando is at home gazing at his photo with Lety when Marcia calls. He says, “How could I forget our wedding date is soon? I’ve been thinking about it all day.” All the while he can’t stop looking at Lety; he even replaces Marcia’s picture with Lety’s. In his thinking chair he ponders, “None of us is happy, neither Marcia nor Lety.. nor me,” as he stares at his empty bed.

7. Lety thinks about her guilt for deceiving Marcia. She reviews their relationship. See transcript. She just wanted to love him in secret, and that wouldn’t hurt anyone. But now he loves her too. How can she resist the love of a man like him? He makes her feel like a queen who deserves to be happy.

8. Morning (finally!!!). The cuartel is excited about Mexico’s World Cup match in two days.

9. Ricardo was impressed with Conceptos’ work yesterday. He says a German company needs a Mexican company to produce ads, and Conceptos could get the contract, but Fernando as president would have to go TODAY. Lety is depressed that Fernando will be gone, but when he says she needs to go along to negotiate the contract, she’s afraid to travel so far from home.


Spanish Lesson. Lety's Diary.
Tan divino, mi Don Fernando. In spite of it all, it turned out well. So why do I feel so bad? Marcia. Today when he embraced me I was so content. Again he said he loved me. I can’t stop thinking about him. I don’t want to remember the guilt I feel. Thinking about Marcia makes me realize I’m wrong, and Don Fernando too.

How did I get to this point? How does the world turn that I would meet Don Fernando? At first I allowed my feelings to grow because I was sure he would never pay attention to me. I wanted to love him forever in secret. I believed it was a love for me alone, nothing more. Like that it wouldn’t hurt anyone. But later it turned out that he also fell in love with me.

How could I resist this love with a man like him? Lety la fea can’t resist the love of Fernando Mendiola. The man most desired, the most seductive, the most beautiful. Love. His love broke me. It conquered me. How can I fight against such a marvelous love? His love makes me feel a little less ugly. Less insignificant. His love makes me feel like a queen who deserves to be happy. How can I reject that? How can I reject my happiness? I don’t know why my happiness comes in droplets. All I do is think about what happens next. In the painful task I have to do for Doña Teresita. I return to feeling guilty for getting in the middle of Fernando and Marcia.

Labels:


Comments:
Paula you outdid your self. Thank you for the great Spanish lesson. What a relief that they are back at conceptos. These next few chapters are really fun. I can't wait.
 

Paula, yesterday you said to watch for wedding references. I found some!! After the commercial, in the tent when Eras forgave Fern for the lies and allowed Lety to stay working for Conceptos, he basically handed Lety over to Fern in the same way a father gives away his daughter at the alter. Also the photographer and the photos of the group. Did you notice the photographer was directing people like in a wedding "Now just the Padilla Family" he says. When Fern & Lety were together for their pic, the crowd was yelling "Abrazo, Abrazo" hug, hug, just like a wedding would be "Beso, Beso" kiss, kiss.

I am so glad some better caps are on the way. This Pilar thing was torturous. Please tell me we never see her again? Diann
 

Pata, thank you for more great photos!

Yes, Diann! That's it! Those are the kinds of things I was talking about, and you caught some I missed, like the "Abrazo, abrazo!" Here are some more scenes from the symbolic wedding:
* 110, after work they got to the market and cook dinner together, it's as if they're already married.
* 113, Erasmo’s drunk golf buddies are Fern’s “tios.” The families meet each other at the wedding.
* 113, Lety’s mother provides the food for the big party. In Mexico it's common for the family to cook for the reception.
And we'll see more in coming cap's. Consider this: you can't have a wedding without a honeymoon, eh?

And yes Diann, pardon the micro-spoiler. No more Pilar. Except in the film of the commercial.

Notice how Fernando and Mama Julieta are starting to team up? She tried to keep Pop away from the shoot. Fernando asked her help to get Pop to let Lety stay on at Conceptos. We're also seeing Pop more anti-Fern. Pop thinks Fern is a bad influence on his daughter.
 

Many parts of the horse commercial were agony; I’ll be the first to admit it. Especially Caps 112B through 115. But Caps 116 through 118 saw some very important developments.

* Time away from Omar & Marcia. Fernando’s truer self was more able to surface without their influence.
* His love is growing. 117, he says, “The most important thing is Lety.” Also in 117 he says, “I love you.” 118, “I've never felt like this.” 118, he moons over her picture, and he replaces Marcia’s picture with Lety’s.
* 117, Lety stands up to Pop. She also confesses she was hired as a secretary. Is this a turning point with them?
* 117, a recurring theme was pointed out: Fernando resorts to lies to solve his problems, but they make a mess, especially for Lety.
* 117, Lety starts to consider, “Could he be lying to me too?”
* 116, Gerardo says Fern and Lety make a good team.
* 117, Fern notices her pain (because Pilar said they’re a couple) and he feels awful. He’s paying a little more attention to her needs.
* 116, On the bridge, we see similarities between Fernando & Pop. They want to protect her and can't. Also the symbolic giving away the bride.
* 117, To some degree, Lety stands up to Fern. “You should've told me about the Pilar plan; it would've hurt less.”
* 118, Lety’s rehash with MamaJ. Today was an important battle with Papi. He ended up accepting my coworkers. I talked to him face to face without fear. Mama recognizes their relationship has changed.
* 118, MamaJ felt like there is a life outside these four walls.
* 118, at home, as he moons over Lety’s photo, there are hints that he may be seriously questioning his marriage choice.
 

Paula, thank you for the wonderful translation at the end. I thought it was positively poetic when Lety asked by does her happiness come in droplets. It just made my heart ache to hear her say that.

Sarah is a hoot. It was funny to watch Fernando both play along and be scared to death of her.

Diann, excellent point about the photos feeling like wedding photos! That's exactly what it was like.
 

Thank you, Sylvia. Pata kindly sent me a screenshot of when Pop relented. Doesn't it look like a wedding photo kind of grouping?

Why does Fernando insist that Lety sit in the president's chair in the meeting with Ricardo? It seems significant, but I can't figure out what it means.

We're in another Golden Age between Fernando and Lety, when they are sublimely happy together.

I wonder if Saimon asked for the picture of Fern and Lety because he suspects something? Evidence: he’s an incurable romantic, he believes in impossible love, he’s always covered Fern’s back, and he adores Lety. He probably doesn’t suspect that they’re involved (though I think Irmita suspects), but Saimon might think they’d make a perfect couple.
 

Ricardo was really, really impressed with Lety, and she saved the day for Fern too - it was her idea to call Luigi for tips on dealing with Pilar; it was her mom who stepped in to do the catering at the last minute; it was Lety's idea to shoot the commercial from a low angle for better effect.

So perhaps Fern put Lety in the president's chair to acknowledge both to Lety and Ricardo that she was the brains of Conceptos that day.

Not to mention, she's the president of Fernando's heart!
 

RE Saimon and the picture of Fern and Lety: Saimon (and quite a few other Conceptos employees) are probably well aware that Fern and Lety are keeping Conceptos in business these days. They may not know the specifics, but they can see the special rapport between them and they've surely noticed a change in the corporate environment ever since Fern became president and Lety showed up. Fern is friendly with them, sometimes jokes with them in the executive lobby, unlike Marcia who's more standoffish.

So Saimon and the cuartel probably think of Fern and Lety as the king and queen of the company, even if they never suspect that they're a real couple.
 

Most interesting episodes with a lot of foreshadowing. It amused me to see how Lety worries about Fern lying to solve problems and if he would lie to her. Well yeah and it is a big one or it was at the beginning. On the other hand it never occurs to her that she is the biggest liar of them all. She has lied or is lying to virtually everyone except Omar and that is because she doesn't really talk to him.

I was glad to see the picture and how both of them handled it later on. When I first came into this show each of them had a picture that was important to them and i could never figure out where it came from.

Frankly Lety's childish behavior is getting on my nerves. Presumably she is an adult well over the age of consent yet she acts like a twit when Fern tells her they have to go to Germany. She had just had that little conversation with Julieta about having stood up to her Papa and now she is all but wringing her hands and telling Fern her father won't let her go. It's time for her to fish or cut bait.

The Fern and Julieta alliance is important as we move forward and I can't help but wonder if the wise woman suspects that Fern has feeling for her nina.

Love what I call the chair of reflection that Fern uses when he is thinking. Very perceptive of him to recognize that three people are unhappy but unfortunately he is still too gutless to make a stand. What a difference it would make (and of course end the show) if he told Marcia and Lety the truth but no we have to have protracted misery for everyone.
 

Decie girl,
I do think MamaJ more than suspects something is brewing between Lety & Fern. She knows her daughter VERY well and she has those "knowing looks" in her eyes. I don't think she knows quite what to do right now, but remember she prays a lot when Lety is "out late working".
Hope these next caps are more romantic than these last 2 weeks.
Diann
 

Paula H, I don't know if you are still around, but I found this show on Netflix with English subtitles this summer and used it as a way to improve my Spanish. It is now only available on Hulu with Spanish subtitles on some episodes but my Spanish has increased 1000 fold. Your insights through all of these chapters have been amazing, I have treat her the main plot numerous times at this point and have so many things to say but don't know if anyone is still out there.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder