Monday, January 10, 2011

La Fea Más Bella #161-162 1/10/11 Lety says good-bye but nobody hears it.

Capitulo 161.
Read k-Fuego’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. When Marcia checks Fernando’s cell, she sees that he called Lety, and for just a moment she puts two and two together in horror, but then she discards the conclusion as ludicrous and convinces herself that the call was about the balance.



2. Ariel tells his colleague Santiago that he can spend the night with Alicia for 50K pesos, and Ali tries to slap Ariel. Note Ricky Armstrong’s look of revulsion. Santiago is eager to take Alicia somewhere to can “talk,” but Ali recruits the TV host, Bore, as her novio for the event.

3. Irmita tells Luigi that she doesn’t want to go home, but she doesn’t tell why.

4. Ha*Ash (named for Hannah and Ashley) sings Qué hago yo which essentially asks, “How do I go on without you?” Both Marcia and Fernando are stabbled by the words, thinking about the love of their lives who has rejected them. Fernando mostly recalls Lety’s love while Marcia mostly recalls Fernando’s rejection. Their second song says, “Half a love isn’t a love at all.”

5. Lopez orders Saimon to take papers to the event to get rid of him and orders Paula to stay, or he’ll fire them. Saimon calls his bluff. Lopez proclaims he’s not afraid of anything, until his wife calls.

6. In front of the family, a very drunk Marcia invites Fernando to her apartment and he refuses, saying he has to go back to the office because Lety hasn’t finished the balance.

7. Ariel tells Santiago that he intends to cash out from Conceptos at the meeting. Santi is surprised, since everyone knows Conceptos is deep in debt, and various banks have started legal action.


Capitulo 162.
Read Alma’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Lety gives Fernando the false balance and he can’t contain his excitement. See the transcript. She admits that she never stopped loving him and he wants to spend the night with her but she says no. He says that tomorrow Marcia will finally be out of his life and things will finally get better. After she leaves he tells himself that he’s never been in love like this before.

2. Lety stands at the elevator saying good-bye to Conceptos, and she remembers all the cruelties: Alicia, Marcia whom she wishes well, Omar whom she forgives, and Luigi who she thinks is amusing. Then she remembers all the loving times with Fernando. Lety steps into the elevator, into the light, and Conceptos goes dark.

3. Luigi and Ana Leticia go to Marcia’s to celebrate and cheer her up. Luigi says he’s never seen such a bitter bride. AnaL says that if Fern has an amante, she shouldn’t marry him. You know you’re a lost cause when you’re dumber than Ana Leticia.

4. Tom arrives at Alicia’s and ponders the checkbook. “If we enter together, I’ll leave with 0.5M pesos less. And if I enter without you, no kisses for me.” But then he remembers his promise to Lety. He decides he’d rather lose Alicia’s kisses than Lety’s friendship.

5. Irma tells Rafael that when he abandoned them, Rebecca refused to alter anything in her bedroom as if nothing had changed. In contrast, Jorge removed everything as if his father never existed. Rafael cries and shuffles toward the door.

6. Alicia asks Tom, point blank, “Did you bring the checkbook?”


Spanish Lesson: One Last Hug

F: What’s the matter. I desire you. Don’t you desire me?
L: Yes, Fernando, you can’t imagine how much.
F: Then what are we waiting for? .. What’s wrong, Lety?
L: Please hold me.
F: Of course. Lety, this hug is so tight, it feels like.. This isn’t good-bye.
L: No, huh? It seemed like that.
Celso calls to say Lety’s taxi is there.
F: No. *I* will take you home. No taxis. Cancel it. I need to be with you. I want to take you somewhere that we can be alone, okay? I need to spend the whole night with you.
L: That would be very complicated.
She says he needs to go home and study the balance. He says she’s the only one who can understand the balance. She tries to leave.
F: No, you can’t leave without giving me one last kiss.
L: You know I don’t like that in the office.
F: But I do! Today my happiness will return, I swear it. I haven’t been for a long time, but today I’ll return to being happy. I finally see a little light at the end of the tunnel. With this balance, we salimos adelante (move forward, get out in front of, come out on top of) this damned committee meeting, and contracts will come that will allow us to pay our debts, and Conceptos’ finances will get resolved. Everything will get better, I swear it. (Lety thinks it’s because he’s going to dump her.) What’s more, Marcia will be out of my life. Finally the road will open for you and for me. We just have to wait a tiny bit more to achieve that.
L: Yes, we will achieve that. (She’s sure he means he will finally be rid of her, Lety.) I’ll see you tomorrow.
F: Wait, Lety. Tell me if you love me. I need to know if you love me. For me it’s very important to know that. Do you love me, Lety?
L: Yes, Don Fernando. I never stopped loving you.
F: I love you more than ever, Lety.
Lety leaves. Fern sits at her desk and talks to himself.
F: Fernando Mendiola. Now you’re really serious, Brother. You' know that for a long time you’ve been hopelessly in love. But today you have to recognize that never in your life have you loved like you love Leticia Padilla Solis. I don’t know how I fell so deeply in love, I swear I don’t. More than ever. .. more than forever.

Labels:


Comments:
Thank you, Pata, for another great screenshot!

There is a great collection of comments on the 160 recap, but beware, there is one big spoiler. It’s in the post that begins, “Are you serious this show is going to run until June. I better get some more blank tapes...lol...” If you skip past that post, you’ll be safe. The rest of the comments are spoiler free.

I’ve been saying that Lety and Alicia are the yin and yang, equal and opposite. On her big date night, did you see the hat of the Chinese delivery boy? It has a yin and yang symbol!

I’ll grant you, Ariel is sick. But consider this. Alicia goes to the event dressed like a hooker, with more red paint than a fire truck. And then she gets uber-offended when Ariel treats her like a hooker, even though she seductively arranged a 10 PM date at her apartment with a man she finds revolting, in order to get 50K pesos from him. Is that not prostitution?
 

It is certainly a strange way to dress and behave for a woman who always brags about her "image."
 

Thanks Paula and Fuego and Alma for the oringnal recaps. Not really into the whole Irmita/hubby story, but I remember they made a big deal about it in the YSBLF series as well and feel they are trying to stay true to the orginal.
I find it distracting in both versions.

The Lety/Fernando office scene was very touching.

I have to go back to work tomorrow after almost three weeks of vacation and know I will be going through LFMB withdrawal around
1100. Here's hoping my DVR doesn't fail me. I have Direct Tv downstairs so I might just set both.
 

That screen shot is wonderful. Marcia played this sad evening perfectly. The faces of both her and Fernando as they listened to the"que hago yo?" song were wonderful. And her bouncy singing along and pointed looks at Fern during the second song was spot on. (Been there once or twice.)

What a perfectly filmed scene that was as Lety said goodbye to Conceptos. The lighting was so dramatic.

I can't wait to see if the previews for tomorrow are accurate. They seem to indicate that "Tomy" is going to get one memorable night. Hope it's not another dream sequence.

Güera from (snowing again) Syracuse
 

I went back to work today after 3 weeks off and at 12 noon I was thinking about La Fea. I've watched my recording and all I can say is that it was a sad episode. Fernando finally realizes how much he loves Lety and it's too late. He will realize manana that Lety isn't coming back. I wonder how he will react when she isn't there as he is going into the meeting to deliver the balance. When Lety was standing at the elevator remembering everyone, I cried with her. Conceptos was a place of such nastiness from certain people, but also great love from others. A part of her heart will always belong to Fernando no matter who she meets in the future. I hope Carolina will help Lety make the most of herself. She's a true gem. I see why everyone loves this TN so much. Tan Divino!
 

Omens?
Fernando gives Lety the Cannes lion.
Lety gives Fern the balance, but he drops it. Not an auspicious sign.
As Lety leaves, into the light, Conceptos goes dark.
Another bad sign: as Lety is saying good-bye to the vortex, a wolf prowls at the door to Conceptos.

Pata, I wonder if the Irmita/Rafael subplot is supposed to parallel the Lety/Fernando story?

Güera, you mentioned tomorrow's preview. My title for tomorrow is The day everyone’s life changes. That should fire up your curiosity!

Barbara, I know that empty feeling. The worst part will be when a show ends on a cliffhanger, and the next day at noon you know you're missing the resolution. (I'm not making it any better, am I?)

I think several people were at their very worst today (Conceptos day, which includes caps from last week).
* Lopez’s abuse and intended abuse of Paula
* Marcia’s most shrewish today (when she called Fern a weakling, etc. in the conference room) and most drunk tonight.
* Ariel loudly tries to pimp Alicia.
* Alicia is her most ridiculous (on the stage) and most humiliated (by Ariel). Also that she has gotten her closest to pure prostitution with no illusion of romance like what she felt for Omar.
 

I have never, ever been able to figure out the purpose of the Irma/Rafael subplot.

Granted, I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it either.

All it does is give the actress something to do. Perhaps this was necessary because Luz Maria Aguilar (and presumably her BLF analog as well) is a higher-ranking actress than some of the other cuartelliers (I just made that word up). It doesn't seem right that Lola gets a long-running subplot while Irma has to chase after Luigi with pins sticking out of her mouth.

If there was a more plot-focused reason for plopping this little storyline wholesale into the middle of everything else, it was way too subtle for me.
 

Great screen shot today, thanks Pata. And thank you Paula, Kris and Alma for your recaps and translations. Wow, what a sad episode. I agree that several people were at their worst today, and practically NOBODY communicated effectively. Saimon was OK though, refusing to leave PM with the creepy HR guy.
 

I know zero about Irmita and her hubby because I have FF through every time that old man comes on the screen. How loudly can I scream "Don't Care!!!!"
Sheesh, I think its only to aggravate us and keep us waiting and waiting for "The Junta".
I wonder why Lety still doesn't believe Fern loves her, when he clearly was telling her things that he wouldn't have to if all he was interested in was that fake balance. He got the balance, he barely even looked at it, went back to being happy with Lety. Whats the matter with her!!!
If all he was after was that fake balance no way would he continue with the "I want to spend all night with you, tell me you love me, I love you with all my heart". He would have just said "Good night, Lety, see you tomorrow", and walked out with that folder.
I think she's being too precipitous about leaving, she should see what happens AFTER the fake balance is presented and see what he does. She would believe everything he's been telling her if only he does break it off with Maaarcia in front of everyone, like he HAS been promising her.
She's not giving him that one final chance.
Diann
P.S. I thought the wolf was weird, I actually thought it was some stray dog that walked across the scene on accident.
 

Sylvia, you're right, it was nice to have one bright spot, Saimon defending Paula like that, even risking his job.

Julie and Diann, about Irmita and Rafael. First, it's filler. I'm sure their ratings were HUGE at this point because everyone was waiting for the meeting, so they wanted to milk it for all it's worth, delaying the meeting. Second, if the filler subplot will spread over a few days, it can't involve most of the principals because they'll be tied up in the meeting. You can only get so much milage out of Tomy/Alicia. So that leaves the cuartel. And I'd far rather tolerate Irmita/Rafael whimpering filler than Lola/Efren screeching filler. If nothing else, it's a little variety in the annoyance.

Stephanie, if you read this, I saw your post from Thurs. Animo! I learned most of my Spanish from LFMB, and I created this web page with tips for how to learn Spanish by telenovelas. It works! Especially if you love the show.
 

Paula, I like your new word, "stabbled." I assume that being stabbled is like being staggered, except more stabby!
 

Unfortunately, Julie, "stabbled" means that Paula needs to remember to spell check again after she edits, before she posts. I think I'll leave my error stand for now, as a reminder that none of is us above spellcheck, least of all tu servidor.
 

LOL! I really thought you did it on purpose, to mean that they found the lyrics staggeringly relevant, and felt a stabbing emotional pain.

If not, it's a plausible explanation. :-)
 

It is so interesting to notice that even at this stage, the morning of the junta, Fernando is still thinking of himself first... even though he tells Mario 'you always think of the company first, and of your own interest' but in the same breath he asks mario 'what about ME?'. He does have some moments in that conversation in Mario's office where he thinks of Lety's feelings, but most of teh time he is concerned more about what will happen to him. And this all got me thinking of the background of the two counterpart characters: Armando (YSBLF) and Fernando (LFMB). They have slightly different background stories... Armando was never an only child (it is not really stated whether Camila was older or younger than him but I can assume they were close in age anyway) and Armando's family did not take on looking after Marcela/Daniel until they were already adults, whereas Fernando was an only child early and Fernando's family took in Marcia and Ariel when they were still kids.
Thus, Armando had a sibling and we don't see the only-child syndrome as clearly portrayed as with Fernando's insecurity about having Marcia/Ariel become competition for his parent's attention/time from a very early age.
In YSBLF Sofia and the cuartel tell Betty at their first lunch together that Armando as a boss is very nice and generous... I dont remember if the cuartel tells Lety the same thing about how Fernando behaves as a boss or not...
Does this all mean that Fernando is more selfish/childish than Armando from the get go? I would say that is debatable. I would say Armando had more 'good in him' that just needed to be brought to the surface... whereas I believe Fernando actually had more growing up to do in LFMB to get him over his insecurities/jealousy because of his parents taking in the Villaroel children early on...
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder