Thursday, January 13, 2011

La Fea Más Bella #167-168 1/13/11 Clear the deck. Dump the ballast.

Capitulo 167.
Read Alma’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Marcia demands Lety’s bags or she’ll call security. To her, Lety is a criminal. Lety suggests they open the bags in private. Ali is delighted that Lety got fired with the dishonor she deserves.

2. Lety warns Marcia that it’s all part of Fern’s strategy to save Conceptos. Marcia reads the first card, “.. I’m surer than ever of my decision to cancel my wedding,” and the next one, “Many nights with many bodies but only one night with a woman, only one night of love.” (Oooh! That’s gonna’ leave a mark!) She asks, “Don’t tell me that Fernando is in love with you. You’re the amante? You had relations with him?”

3. Sitting in the meeting in disgrace, Fernando remembers their first night together, how much he loves Lety, almas in the moonlight, and how deeply he feels Lety’s love for him.

4. Lety tells Marcia that Fern never loved her. She says, “If you read this letter you’ll understand. I deserve everything that has happened because I was wrong.” She leaves the bag with Marcia.

5. Fern protests Humberto’s direction, but stops and takes a humble tone. Pop tells him he has no right to an opinion. MamaT says they can’t let this ruin the wedding. Marcia says, “There won’t be any wedding. He deceived me, not just with the company, but he’s been playing me for a fool all along.

6. Fernando begs his father’s forgiveness and Humberto answers, “Don’t say another word to me ever again. In less than a year, you destroyed 30 years of work. You demonstrated that you’ll never grow up. You destroyed your beautiful relationship with Marcia. I’ll never forgive you. Have you been able to sleep at night?” Fern answers, “No, and I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep ever again.”

7. Fern calls the house and Tom tells him Lety can’t talk to him. Pop asks why she’s hiding.

8. MamaT consoles Marcia, reminding her that Omar wrote the cards. Marcia corrects her and says Fern had relations with Lety. MamaT refuses to believe her son is capable of such depravity. Marcia says, “Today, to me, he’s a different person.” MamaT says, “At least he doesn’t love her. That, I could never accept.” And Marcia cries quietly.


Capitulo 168.
Read Julie’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Fern tells Omar that he has to find Lety and explain everything because she thinks the letter is the truth. See the transcript. Omar asks why, since she left them. Fern answers, “Por mi mismo (for me myself).” ARRGGG!!! Omar tells Fern he can’t possibly be seen with Lety, and Fern blows him off.

2. Lety finishes packing and leaves her diary behind. MamaJ realizes that diary is significant. Boy howdy!

3. The vortex finds out that the wedding is canceled. Marcia tells Fern, “Lety did me a favor, saving me from marrying a desgraciado. You trusted Lety who betrayed you today, instead of the woman who’s always loved you. Fern swears he’ll recover everything he’s lost and asks her forgiveness. Marcia says Lety gave her the letter, Lety the one he gave his life and his confidence. Fern begs her to stop; the board already crushed him. She slaps him and drops the ring to the floor.

4. Alicia hears that Fern isn’t president anymore. She says, “Now I don’t have to tolerate your gritos,” and shoves her way past him. Fern swears to MamaT, “I’m going to recover everything I lost.”

5. Omar again pressures Fern to forget about Lety since she gave Marcia the letter. Fern answers, “It wasn’t her fault.” That’s his first glimmer of taking responsibility.

6. Marcia tells Ali about the meeting. Ali is jealous because Fern and Tom each gave Lety a company, and nobody gave her one. Marcia explains that Tom is just some chavo that manages FI. Ali: You mean he’s poor? I did all that, for free? M: Did you sleep with him? Another one falls very low.

7. At the airport, Pop tells Caro Lety has the highest morals and he doesn’t want her to throw that all away in Acapulco (too late!). Tearful good-byes.

8. Fern waits for Lety at her house. Pop tells Fern that Lety left DF. Tom says, “Don’t look for her. That’s what Lety says. I’ve told you twice now.” And it starts raining.

9. When Lety left the house she said, “I’m going far away to change my life. Above all I’m leaving to forget you.” She smashes his picture, trying to break free of him and says, “Fern hurt me yet again.”

10. Lety arrives in Acapulco. We see a shirtless guy in Daisy Dukes inspecting a ratty boat. Nice back!!! Later we see him throwing a fishing net. Not a hook, mind you, but a net.




Spanish Lesson
This is the jist of Fernando and Omar’s conversations.It actually spans three conversations.

O: Why’d she do this to us?
F: You really don’t know? She read you stupid letter. Isn’t that enough?
O: How long did she have it? Why did she wait until now to give us away?
F: She heard you decide to send her out of the country. What better revenge than to “unmask” us to the committee?
O: Where are you going?
F: To look for Lety. I called, but she refused to talk to me.
O: What do you want from her?
F: Do you know what she must think? That your letter is the truth.
O: Well it was! Even though NOW you’re in love with her.
F: I have to explain it all to her.
O: And Marcia?
F: She canceled the wedding. She wants nothing to do with me. And I don’t intend to ask her back. Y’know, maybe what happened was for the best. I couldn’t take the stress one moment more.
O: Marcia said you betrayed her intimacy. Do you think she knows about the romance?
F: No, if she wanted to do that, Lety would’ve put the letter in Marcia’s folder. And what’s it matter what Marcia thinks?

O: Lety left. Why do you want to look for her?
F: Por mi mismo (for me myself). For what I feel for her. For my emotions. Yeah, I know for you it’s a cursi because you were born without a heart. And to you, anything that comes from the soul is a cursi.
O: Are you hoping for anything more than forgiveness?
F: Yes. I need her with me.
O: Wait. You intend to continue the relationship?
F: Of course.
O: Are you nuts? Do you know what will happen here when they find out?
F: What else can happen? What’s left?
O: And Marcia?
F: We’ve all but broken up. I don’t have to explain to her what I do with my life.

O: What did Marcia say?
F: Lety showed her your stupid letter. What a perfect ending to a day like today.
O: But didn’t you tell her it was to save the company? It looks to me like Lety did it to tear you to shreds, and you still want to look for her?
F: Of course. It wasn’t her fault.

Labels:


Comments:
Pata, thank you for the picture. Nice back!

Sylvia, I hope I haven't used the nautical terms wrong. Feel free to correct me. I like correction - I'd rather BE right than LOOK right.

For those of you new to La Club and trying to improve your Spanish, part of the reason I post transcripts is as a Spanish lesson. Print it out and have it in hand as you watch the scene. Try to make what they say match the words on the print-out, and replay a sentence until you can make it match. Back when I was studying via Fea, it was a VERY productive exercise.
 

WARNING! If you don't want spoilers, don't read the comments on Cap 168.
 

I really have to hand it to Lety for trying so hard to dissuade Marcia from looking in those bags, especially in front of the cuartel.

If I'd been Lety, I would have laid all this stuff out on her desk a couple of days ago, when Marcia was calling Lety a human calculator. (Actually, I might have shown it all to her within minutes after reading The Letter.)
 

So Fernando did not have the guts to cancel the wedding! Will he ever do anything? why is he so passive and spineless? He is in the dog house. Lety deserves better the way she handled herself with Marcia and did you notice how she walked out her office head held high (Vale seems to be busty). she deserves someone who is not two and can take stand make an initiative. Paula you mentioned Fern's love as selfish love, like a two year old for his mommy. I think it is like a two year old for his blankie because it makes him feel safe and secure and he does not want it he can toss it away BUT it has to be there when he wants it. Like at nap time!
The back looks promising as someone better for Lety. Interesting that the back is a fisherman and with a net no less.
Has Caro been in Alicia's closet?
If I hate anyone in this show it is Ariel. Calling Humberto "papa" as he walked out pure evil and I see no redemption there.
Jenn
 

I agree that Ariel is revolting, disgusting, obnoxious, arrogant, and downright icky. That's what he *IS*. But tell me. What has he actually *DONE*?

1. imho he raped Alicia and used extortion on her. I'll grant you that.
2. He spied on Conceptos, but that was to get to the bottom of the balance he thought was false, and he was right. I believe he has a right to an honest report of his holdings.
3. He discovered the bribe, and he went for Lety's head, but Miguel and Lety were the main offenders in the bribe. Ariel's "crimes" were secondary by comparison.
4. He discovered the embargo and was eager to expose it. But it was Fern who destroyed the family's capital. Ariel only exposed it.

Yes, he's icky. BUT. He hasn't DONE anything serious, except to Alicia.
He hasn't poisoned the well.
He hasn't swapped any babies.
He hasn't spooked Lety's horse and crippled her for life.
He hasn't locked anyone in his cellar as his sex slave.
He hasn't forged any documents and stolen Fernando's Conceptos shares.
He hasn't drugged anyone's drink and made her think she committed incest.
As telenovela villains go, he's practically a saint!
 

Yeah, Ariel's not the worst telenovela villain of all the time. More's the pity. Less chance of seeing him go to jail or get hit by a pie truck.
 

I actually like some villains. Especially if they are creatively devious and twisted. I actually liked David Zapeda in Sortelago that was one tasty villain. Ariel is evil because he keeps insulting Alicia even when he knows he got her beat. How many times does he have to offer to pimp her to his friends? we got that the first ten times. very funny haha. He saw Fernando devastated and he kept going at him and where it hurts the most his papa. Fernando is down and out. Stop you came ahead AGAIN!He is the kind of guy that loves to beat a dead horse literally. That is why I think he is evil not because of what he did but what he says that he knows is damaging insulting and harmful and does not stop. He can show more consideration. At least Alicia had some sympathy for PM when she got fired and actually cried and asked Marcia to help her. Ariel has never shown any compassion for Alicia or Fernando or even Lety. When he goes after them he is ruthless.
Having just reread what I wrote it occurred to me I hate him because he is not telenovela villain but a real life one. He is not fictional enough and there are people I know who are like him. unfortunately some are related but by marriage!
Jenn
 

You're so right, Jenn. Ariel is evil because he hurts for the love of hurting. He doesn't even have a reason for his nastiness. Most TN villains have some scheme which is the reason for their nastiness. He is just nasty because he IS. And your point about him being like real people we all have met is a good one.

Can't wait to see what's on the other side of that muscled back casting his net. Nice bit of business as Lety looks out at the sea which is, as she says, the only thing as immense as her sadness -- and there on the sea is HE

This episode was still sad but not like yesterday. It seems as if the bottom has come at last and both Lety and Fern have sowed the seeds of their redemption. Marcia too. Any illusions she may have had are finally and irrevocably crushed. I hope she has a future. -- And what about Omar? Is there hope for him?
 

Thanks Paula. And Julie and Alma, also thanks for the original recaps.

I did feel really bad for Fernando when his dad told him he would never forgive him. How harsh!! I also agree that Teresa was referring to Fern's behavior as being repugnant and not because it was Lety.
 

I am not mitigating Fernando's role in all that has happened, but after watching today's episode, I place a lot of blame squarely on Humberto's shoulders. The way he treated his son obviously was nothing new. Fernando has faced his father's bitter disappointment before and his father has made him feel lower than the scum on a cockroach's belly each time he made a mistake. What parents do to their children in childhood carries into adulthood and becomes baggage that prevent people from reaching their full potential. Fernando has not been able to reach his and never will until he makes a permanent break with his past. I'm teaching this year a class called Breaking the Chains of the Past because there are so many people who have scars and traumas from years ago that hinder their present and diminish the hope of a bright future.

Lety needs to heal and Acapulco seems like that will be the place. Fernando needs to grow up, cut the ties with the past, and become the man he was created to be. He does love Lety, but I think he'll end up loving her more because he doesn't have her right now. If Lety had stayed, Fernando would have taken advantage of her and she would've been able to resist for only so long. Right now distance between the two is the very best thing to ensure a possible future with each other.
 

Hey, today I heard on El Gordo y la Flaca that Angelica Vale and Jaime Camil are going to be hosting Premio Lo Nuestro on february 17.
 

Love today's eps. In response to the debate about Ariel - I honestly think he and Marcia to a certain extent were really shaken by losing their parents as kids. I thinkAriel became a nasty bastard who is jealous of what he thinks Fernando has...it's sibling rivalry at it's worst. There's no excuse though for his ill treatment of women (even if there are as deserving as Alicia can sometimes be).

As for Marcia - she coped by snuggling up to Fern and their relationship was her security blanket - no matter how hurtful it became. She didn't seem to have much of an identity besides as his fiance (imho) and I did feel sort of sorry for her today when she finally realized just how terrible and deep Fernando's transgressions were...I think she knows somewhere deep inside that he loves Lety, but she won't admit that until I think she sees it with her own two eyes. She just seems like that type of girl that has to see her boyfriend having sex right there in front of her (as evidenced by the show to-date).

I'm hopeful for Lety now that she's away with Carolina that she'll use this time to heal and get stronger. Hopefully she'll actually let lose and enjoy herself while she's in paradise.

Oh and a final thought about Fernando + his parents. I think that they truly are the reason for him not having any sort of moral compass. They've shown him that the business & saving face is most important of all. They proved that today with their reactions to the whole fiasco. I agree he messed up terribly, but the fact that his mother knows the whole truth about what he's done and her reaction was to hope the wedding would still go on as planned...it just makes me angry. No wonder he's a damaged, confused man right now. His parents have done him no favors! I fault them completely for the strange dynamic between him, Ariel & even Marcia in fact.

Really great eps today.

PS - Thank you so much Paula H for re-posting the link to the learning resources. I just made the connection that you're the reason I found this website. I initially found your translations of a few eps and saw that you recommended this blog as a place to get full re-caps. Thank you so much!!
 

Thanks also, Paula, for pointing out the line of dialogue which I missed -- where Fernando tells Omar that Lety was not at fault for the actions of today. You are right that it seems to be the beginning of his taking responsibility.

These were really good episodes today. I'm looking forward to seeing where we are heading next.

Güera from 17-0 Syracuse
 

That didn’t take long! Fern is defrocked, and Marcia’s very first words to him outside the meeting are to ORDER him to her office, as if she were speaking to the cuartel. It also doesn’t take Marcia long to start trying to turn Fernando against Lety.

Omar STILL thinks his letter and seduction plan was a good idea! He keeps saying, “Didn’t you explain that it was to save the company?”

Wow! Tomy grew a spine overnight! When he told Fern to leave Lety alone, he was like Eastwood or something!! And Fernando, who wears suits beautifully, did you see his collar was up and disheveled?

Yes Jenn, Alicia was sorry she got PM fired, but only AFTER she found out that as a result she, Ali, would be demoted to receptionist. Only then did she beg Marcia to reconsider. I really liked what you said, "I hate [Ariel] because he is not telenovela villain but a real life one." Sadism seems to run strong in Ariel. He keeps tormenting Alicia just for the thrill of seeing her suffer. He thought Lety was weak and he tried to torture her, but he kept getting whooped. Now he chooses his battles with her more carefully (and still loses).

And Jenn, I LOVE your blankie analogy! Much more accurate than mommy. Of course you would never be expected to do something FOR your blankie. You love it because it serves you. You don't serve it.

Barbara, this novela uses four cities as symbols.
DF (Mexico City) is reality, where the rubber meets the road.
Puebla is the past where nothing ever changes. Erasmo is from Puebla and he thinks he's still there.
Acapulco is a place of vacation. It's where you withdraw to rest, recuperate, heal, recover, restore. Water is prominent, and that may indicate rebirth or a life-giving characteristic. But just like a vacation, you go to Acapulco with the knowledge that after you recuperate, you have to go back to DF, the real world.
There is one more city that will play prominently in the future. That will be a place to escape from the world, whereas Acapulco is a place to recover so you can return to the world.
 

Shedding some tears for Lety and Fern, while wishing someone would put me in a first-class seat and fly me to Acapulco.
La Paloma
 

A word about my title. Sylvia, help me out here. I know my details are off a bit. I believe that when a ship is expecting a storm (or battle), the crew clears everything possible off the deck so it doesn't get in the way. And if the ship is in danger of sinking, it will drop its ballast to lighten the load and hopefully survive. Well Fernando is sinking, but everything that held him back is gone - family, the presidency, etc.
 

I agree that Ariel likes to beat a dead horse, but like his counterpart in BLF, he got a partial victory. He was heading into that junta armed and ready to unmask Fernando, but Lety beat him to that punch. he did what he could beating the dead horse when Fernando made a desperate attempt to revert what Lety did, and Ariel was there and grabbed the part that he still had at his reach... preventing Fernando from calling it a false start... but I can't help but feel Lety stole some of the satisfaction from Ariel.
 

ITA with Georgia Peach about Fernando treating Lety the way he did and always preferring the company over Lety's feeligs is totally due to his parents... that is what he has seen all along, and he can even see that his father prefers Ariel because Ariel has no place for people or feelings in his life, only business and the family reputation in society. And that is what he expected of Fernando, but as Eduardo said back then, Ariel and marcia are all about money and social status, Fernando deep inside is not like that, he is different... and he is only beginning to realize that now when he has lost everything that he was 'taught' should mean something.
Also ITA about Alicia showing some pity for PM only because her leaving meant Ali would become the receptionist and that was a 'downgrade'.
 

Before I forget! That little figure behind Fernando's desk - you can get one for $9.95 at American Science and Surplus. I don't know if it's comparable in size and quality, but it's a lot cheaper than some you see in fancier catalogs!

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/15459
 

I don't agree about Alicia in the PM incident. It wasn't only because Alicia was demoted.

She was listening and watching at a discreet distance when PM's friends were begging for mercy on her behalf and worrying about her child (I don't remember if PM herself was in that scene too), and Alicia really looked concerned.

I don't know if this was before or after Alicia was demoted, but that wasn't the subject of the conversation. It was about how PM and her kid were going to survive.

It stuck in my mind because it seemed so out of character for Alicia to care, but maybe that unusual twinge of empathy came from the fact that Alicia was in the process of losing a lot as well. She'd already had her electricity turned off at least once, and it was very unpleasant... being without even a place to live would be a lot worse.
 

Paula, sorry about the late comment. You are CORRECT in your terms. In days of yore you would clear the decks and then dump the ballast. It's an amazingly accurate description of Fern's family and HIS trouble in general.
 

I got it right! I got it right! Well that sure feels good. Thanks, Sylvia.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder