Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Pear Robe Project


The sexy, interesting, and sometimes just bizarre wardrobe of our TN characters, particularly our heroines, provides an endless source of conversation on this blog. As does the re-use of props and clothing in multiple TNs. But never has a recycled TN clothing item been more used, debated, and immortalized than THE PEAR ROBE.

You know the robe I’m talking about. It’s legendary! Kind of like Fafy Cuenca! White terry cloth. LARGE black and green pears all over. It has been donned by an assortment of TN ladies—heroines and villainesses alike. I decided to hunt down this often sighted, but never photographed (at least not on this blog) clothing item, and capture its image. Here is the result.

Perfect Wedding Day Attire- En Nombre del AmorBefore the ill-fated nuptials between bad girl Romina and her best friend Paloma’s one-true-love Emiliano, Romina donned The Pear Robe, and her bridal tiara. She was positively glowing from her victory in fooling Emiliano into believing that the baby she was carrying was his, and not that hunky bad boy German’s. Not even the shock of finding out she was bleeding, and likely miscarrying, was going to keep her from walking down that isle.


Romina gets her tiara on just right, but then gets a nasty surprise when she sits on the porcelain throne.

The Look of Innocence- Llena de Amor
Kristel has just been rolling around in bed with her lout of a boyfriend Mauricio (aka Rapey Snake). Unfortunately, the maid tattled on her to Mama Fedra who has called on henchman Bernardo to kick the locked door down. Kristel may be a fresa, but she’s no dummy. She’s thrown Mauricio off her second floor balcony, hopped quickly into the shower to get that wet look, and emerged from her bathroom in her beloved Pear Robe to find out what all the fuss is about. She was just taking a shower, by herself, after all.




Kristel perfects her look of innocent confusion in front of an incredulous Fedra and Bernardo


Anguish and Despair Wear- Hasta Que el Dinero Nos SepareAfter hating him, then fighting her feelings, then falling madly in love with him, Alejandra must give up her Rafael. This leads to endless nights of sorrow and tears like this one.


What could be better to wear when one is in the depths of despair than a comfy robe of pears?


Phantoms, Panic, and Pears- Soy tu DueñaOscar the Not-So-Friendly Ghost has come to visit evil Ivana once again. Maybe he’s mad that she killed him? Or he just might be trying to tell her that that Pear Robe is a major fashion faux pas.



This is the most clothing we ever saw Ivana wear




Random Pear Sightings- Ni Contigo Ni Sin TiI’m not even watching this TN, but I was going along, minding my own business, working from home with the tv on in the background, and of course checking in on CarayCaray and gossiping about The Pear Robe, when what should appear, but THE PEAR ROBE?! This pretty young lady was carrying it nonchalantly, as she blew off this nice young man who seems to really like her. Obviously her taste in bathrobes does not bother him.



Did I conjure up the Pear Robe just thinking about it?



Honorable Mentions
There are rumors that The Pear Robe made an ap-pear-ance in Un Gancho al Corazon and Mañana es Para Siempre (MEPS), two TNs I have seen. I seem to remember it appearing in those too, but can’t remember the exact scene, nor who the un-lucky wearer was. I have also been told it appeared in Juan Querendon, a TN I did not see, on a character named Marley.

I for sure remember this similar robe from MEPS, worn by our heroine Fernanda on her wedding day. Instead of pears, the robe is covered with flowers. Perfect for a sweet heroine filled with doubts about marrying her hot fiancé (Sergio Sendel), when her hot one-true-love (Fernando Colugna) is still out there somewhere. Why is THE PEAR ROBE so popular, while this one has disappeared into the back of Televisa’s wardrobe closet?



Flowers vs. Pears, which do you prefer?


Have you spotted The Pear Robe?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
I thought Priscilla wore it in MEPS, but I might be getting it mixed up with another cheesy robe.

Robey
 

Robey- You're not the only one who thinks Priscila wore it, but all I could find when I looked at scenes of her in the bedroom was her in lots of sexy stuff, since she was ALWAYS trying to get her husband Anibal to sleep with her. :)
 

Maybe after she became pregnant?

Robey
 

Vivi:

Thanks so much for posting this. Sadly, I have not had any (additional) pear robe sightings. Your experience the other day reminds me of a "Virgen" sighting on a tortilla in Baja. Fascinating, miraculous even, but how DOES she do that?

And how did you conjure the pear robe, on TV, before your very eyes and then capture a screen shot?? You have powers we never dreamed of, Vivi!

Abrazos,

EJ
 

Vivi: I have MEPS on DVD. I know they edit the crap out of these things, but I'll do a scan this weekend to see if the pear robe appears.

Robey
 

EJ- After spotting it, I then looked up the darn show to find out what capitulo they were on, then found the clip online. No magic involved there. :)

Robey- I'm thinking post-pregnancy too. But Pris was not in enough scenes to make a search easy.
 

Vivi: I know it's a long shot, but you never know. It might be like your spotting it on that TN by accident.

:)

Robey
 

Vivi, this is brilliant! What a funny post and your memory is amazing. Your powers of observation are also amazing. I had to scroll through Ni Contigo twice before I spotted the pear robe on the young woman's arm. (I think the robe was playing the role of a wrap in this show but who can be sure.)

I'm pretty sure we will all be on the lookout for THE PEAR ROBE after this. Well done.
 

Kudos to you Vivi. The Pear Robe is fascinating because it's so darned ugly. Can't imagine why the wardrobe people picked it in the first place. And then to recycle it is madness indeed. Surely it will appear in Una Familia Con Suerte...that show is cheesiness incarnate. Certainly Teresa would NEVER have worn it, even in her darkest days.
 

I bet Esperanza would have worn it, though, Judy (on Teresa). She didn't; I would have noticed, but she would have. Remember those downright gag-worthy maternity shirts they put her in?

Thanks so much for writing up this post and including pictures, Vivi. I've been a little obsessed with that thing for years. I don't think it's as hideous as most of you do, but it sure is distinctive.

Will we see it again? Maybe the last actress who found it on her hanger "accidentally" spilled coffee and nail polish all over it. Oops.
 

This is hilarious, Vivi!
Without an eye for detail like you, I have watched several of the
above-named novelas and not noticed the Pear Robe ( I do prefer the flower robe though).
I am watching Ni contigo now and
enjoying it -- a little different but nevertheless incorporates ideas from other novelas.

I recently finished 8 mos. of Destilando Amor. I loved it, but I think it is a very close second to my all time favorite: La Verdad Oculta. LVO RULES! and EY
was awesome; liked him much better
in DA than in LVO...of course stupipd in both but charming and irresistible.

I read all the old recaps of DA
and am most appreciative to all
the writers...fabulous job especially with the complicated business negotiations of the Tequila shenanigans.

All the best to all ....
 

Hey Floridia! I still love LVO too. What a great tn with fun twist and turns. I'm glad you liked DA. It's one that I still haven't seen, although I did watch the finale. :)
 

Vivi, Thank you, thank you. I am so impressed with your persistence with pattern recognition. I have seen most of these TN's too and never paid much attention to the homely robe but when I saw this project report of yours I did instantly recognize it. Wouldn't it be fun to send a copy of this posting and comments to Televisa's wardrobe people. I bet it is a big joke with bets on how many people report having seen it.

You are wonderful! this was so fun.
 

"Maybe the last actress who found it on her hanger "accidentally" spilled coffee and nail polish all over it. Oops."

Julia- One can only hope! Although it is fun to spot the darn thing.
 

I've grown quite fond of the robe; it's like an old friend. If I saw one in the store I would probably purchase it. Of course I am the first to admit I have practically no sense of fashion.
 

Vivi, what a fun list. I have a similiar list that I must have started during STuD which includes MEPS with the note (Prissy) next to it. We must have been talking about the "Robe" when I made the list.

Maybe the robe is a good luck charm!

Rosemary #1
 

Vivi, this is hilarious. Thanks. I haven't seen some of these shows ( though I put the DVE of MEPS on my christmas list) but I do remember seeing that thing on Alejandra in Dinero and I don't know how I missed it on Ivana in STuD because your are right she rarely wore that much clothing.

You are truly amazing.

Güera
 

Wow cool project! And, yes, your notice of details and memory are truly amazing! thanks for posting this!

So far I have missed seeing the pear robe.....

Audrey
 

I am new to Tns too and haven't seen that robe either. I've seen LVO AND DA and read all the recaps. I am watching Dinero in late night now and will have to keep an eye out for this robe.
 

I actually kind of like it. Before I'd seen all these shows, I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but if I saw one for sale now, I would definitely buy it, just because. My own Pear Robe! I could wear it whenever I was in the depths of despair.

Incidentally, that was one of our vocab terms on Una Familia this week:

estar en el hoyo = to be in the depths of despair; to be wearing the pear robe (I'm sure that's what the dictionary says)
 

This is so funny, Vivi.
I can just hear the scene. The director stops the action. "Cut!" Wardrobe please! Bring a bathrobe, we need something with pathos.
 

Sylvia and Julia- I have to admit I've also grown fond of it. If I saw it in the store, I'd snap it up. But I would only wear it when I needed a laugh because I would giggle each time I looked at it. Perhaps then it WOULD be perfect to wear when in the depths of despair because it would cheer me up?
 

Vivi, this is super. I've been intrigued by the pear robe ever since someone mentioned it many TNs ago. I always have my eye out for it.

Wouldn't it make for a great documentary In Search of the Pear Robe?

Clips from its appearance in each TN it appeared in

Interviews with actresses who have actually worn it

Where it is kept and cared for

Where it came from

Its place in the world of fashion

Miracles attributed to it

The possibilities are almost limitless

I wonder if a grant could be obtained to finance such a project?

Thanks for your tribute to this fascinating TN holy relic.

Carlos
 

Vivi thanks for sharing this project with us. I've seen most of those TNs and haven't been aware of this unique piece of clothing.

I'm with Carlos and think a doc on this would be great. We would have to include wardrobe and purchasing to try to track down who actually bought it. Then we'll have to find out why it keeps being recycled.
 

Carlos: You crack me up!!!

My word verification is "sobbed". What you do when you can't find your pear robe.

Robey
 

Carlos- You are too much! You should direct the Pear Robe mockumentary.
 

I too love Carlos' documentary idea...particularly the one about "what miracles are attributed to it". Be on the lookout!
 

And love the cartoon!
 

Glad you like it Judy. I felt like that opening paragraph was a bit naked with no pic. :)
 

Vivi,

You are too funny and sooo perceptive. I love it!

While my memory isn't recalling anymore pear robe sitings on past TN's just right now, in your honor I bought some pears at the grocery store today, and will eat one with my glass of wine during tonights episode.:)

Valeena
 

Vivi: Loved the cartoon, too.

Robey
 

Hey, was the cartoon there before? I missed it. Hilarious!! I really DO WANT a pear robe now. Dear Santa Claus...
 

Vivi, I found the episode where the comments were about the Robe. The episode was STuD #146. Dr. Charlie remembers Pris wearing the robe. There were some great, funny comments.

Rosemary #1
 

Carlos:

Love your idea. Vivi should make the mockumentary and send it to Televisa so that they can see for themselves the ENTHUSIASM of their crazy Caray fans.

As to miracles, I'll take a guess that the Pear Robe is to
TN actresses as a lucky baseball glove is to a first baseman—they may not start filming without it!

Laughing,

EJ

I wonder if the
 

Vivi, when I first read this, the cartoon hadn't been added. It's perfect.

It's always a pleasant surprise to spot the Pear Robe in a TN. Thank you so much for this posting. I'm still holding out hope that it shows up in CME. I would love to see Roberta wear it, but it would be perfect for Nata as she applies her Ganier makeup. Wouldn't it have been fun if it had been one of the items that Augie had picked out when he went shopping for clothes for Nata?

Carlos
 

Oh my gosh! Now would be the perfect time for the robe to appear in CME. :) Fingers crossed.
 

Vivi - this has been such a fun read! Thank you!

Which one of our CME ladies would be the one to walk around in that?
Let's cross our fingers that it makes a showing. Perhaps with Renata being ill from morning sickness and needing to be comfy?

I have repeatedly heard of THE PEAR ROBE and now I finally see what all the fuss is about! Yes, I would buy one too! Isn't there an entrepreunerial sort among our crowd who can get our CarayCaray gift store open? So many mementos to sell.

Carlos - that is a riot about a mockumentary. Surely, with all of Vivi's DC connections she can find some funding for it?

Rosemary la Otra
 

Vivi, thank you thank you for the screen shots. I do remember the conversation about this robe during STuD but didn't notice the robe itself. I've been intrigued ever since, and now that I see it it's not at all what I had pictured.

STuD is the only one of those TNs I ever watched, unless it was in MEPS too but I just cannot imagine Priscilla wearing such a thing.

If I saw this robe in a store, I would take a picture and post it here, but I wouldn't buy it. (Or maybe I should and then auction it off here! LOL!)

The only telenovela prop I've been overly concerned with is those ubiquitous green pencils. I don't believe that any major pencil manufacturer anywhere makes their basic pencil in that color, so I keep thinking Televisa must have had them custom printed. Why this bugs me, I don't know. I should be much more bothered that every desk in every telenovela has a pencil cup full of full-length, sharpened, unchewed pencils, yet virtually no pens.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder